First of two in sunny FLA

The road trip is almost over.

And Louis Leblanc scored again!

Faceoff fiasco

Ironman Gorges takes a rest

Advanced stats from Arpon Basu

Where is the Canadiens’ passion? – Pierre Durocher

• François Gagnon on the team’s day off

Carolina inches closer

1. derfab says:

At this point, I’d like to see Kirk lace ‘em up and take Gomez’ spot. Time to move some uninspired bodies. JM is irrelevant.  Maybe Burke will be available soon too.

2. fuhgawz says:

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

3. HabsFanInTampa says:

The countdown starts. I can’t wait for the game tonight. I’ll be there, if any HIOer is in town and wants to join me, that would be great. Cheering for a Montreal blowout, but not sure. The Quebec Connection on the Bolts team ALWAYS take it up a notch or three whenever they play the Habs. Boucher stated this morning that he may start goaltender Desjardins tonight to give Ellis a rest.

4. fuhgawz says:

And Louis Leblanc scored again!

From what i can tell — he will not be a star.  I have not been impressed with Louis Leblanc. Another bust draft pick mark my words.

5. mike g says:

Roy…

I want emotion and passion on this team.

No more of this sissy attitude. It’s enough, I’m fed up.

Time to get someone who has ballz and is willing to break sticks and crack pucks with his teeth.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. mike g says:

AK is a bum….

He benefits from playing with our best player, best defensive/offensive forward, etc…He doesn’t play in crutial situations, the majority of his icetime coming in offensive situations.

The Habs have been one of the best defensive teams all year, that explains it too.

And for the hits stat, Lapierre leads by a large margin and he’s been one of our 5 worst players this year. The numbers don’t always tell the truth, and for AK they don’t.

He’s got no heart, no grit, no passion, nothing.

Watch him on every shift. Watch how many times he wont hit, plays lazy, isn’t agressive, or gives up on a play. They’ll outnumber by 6 times the amount of times he actually plays properly.

All we’ve heard for this guy has been excuse after excuse as for why he hasn’t produced consistently over the past 4 years. After a while, it’s enough, and now it is just that.

Time to be a man, stop blaming others, and look at himself in the mirror and ask himself if he wants it or not. He can’t blame others anymore.

All I know is you guys all loved him again for 3 weeks this year, and now in the past 2 months he’s had 4 good games. What a keeper this guy is.

Ask any coach, I’m sure they’d take a player who plays well 10% of the time….

Oh, please.

Stop with the fantasy that this guy will be good. He’es got zero will or effort to be good. No heart.

There are tons of players in the league with much less talent than him, like Gionta, Georges, Alex Burrows, etc…Yet they’re all enjoying so much success in the best hockey league in the world.

Why? Because they give 100% effort ALL THE TIME, they care about winning, and will do anything to play in this league.

Their heart makes them who they are. AK is nothing, because he has none.

He can take his talent and shove it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

7. Habsrule1 says:

Funny enough, when I wrote the question, I thought of Ted Nolan too, but didn’t put him in there because I just figured it was unlikely.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

8. The Cat says:

Ted Nolan. Plus hes the only anglo that could avoid any potential language issue.

9. SmartDog says:

Guy Boucher

Kirk and Patrick aren’t too shabby either. St. Patrick would be cool… interesting for sure.

——-

10. Dennis says:

They’ve slumped before. Here’s how I used to track them. http://dennis-kane.com/its-not-just-now-as-you-can-see/

11. Habsrule1 says:

Who would you like to see take over when JM gets fired in the coming weeks?

1. Bob Hartley

2. Patrick Roy

3. Kirk Muller

4. Other (please specify)

12. smiler2729 says:

Enough nailbiters, I want a 7-2 win for a change.

13. jimmy shaker says:

Won’t make it to a shoot out, but if it does, the boys will lose.  Carey is anything but stellar when it comes down to the one on one showdown.  Sorry to say, but them the truth!

Shaker

14. joshua94k says:

Here is a quiz question? Which player on the Canadiens leads the team in +/-.

Answer : Andrei Kostitsyn with +9

Kostitsyn is also number 2 with most hits with 68. Lappierre leads the team with 98 hits. Kostitsyn is only two goals behind leaders Cammalleri and Gionta. Clearly he is an important part of the team.

Coach Martin has to find a way to find a way to get the most out of his players. It could be yelling at them, it could be taking them aside and speaking to them one-to-one, but whatever needs to be done is not enough.

The team is in disarray. Currently every player is not playing to their potential, even Price, Plekance and Gorges. The team is in the penalty box more than their oponents since the beginning of the season. Once they are behind, it seems game over. We have a defenceman (Subban) who is capable of creating some offence when needed, but currently he is playing tentative as even a single error is highlighted and he could sit out the next game.

There is a coach who is very good at motivating players. He was part of the Canadiens organization. Currently he is the hesd coach of the team the Canadiens play tonight.

15. mike g says:

Here’s what will happen tonight….

Game starts off very fast, quick and with alot of good scoring chances. Habs miss some great chances wide, and Price stones Vinny and Ryan Malone in the 1st period. Tampa gets 2 PP’s, we get none.

0-0 after 1.

Beginning of the 2nd, the Wiz gets high-sticked by Teddy Purcel, 4 minute PP. the 1st wave does nothing, can’t even gain the Tampa zone. The 2nd unit with Gomez comes on, and the Wiz takes his point place for the 1st time in a Habs uniform. Gomez takes the puck from end to end, goes around the net, Wiz pinches into the slot, and…….BANG! Tampa goalie luckily makes the save, but Gionta pounces on a huge rebound and puts it into a wide open net. Period end with a flurry of Tampa shots, but Price holds the fort.

1-0 Habs after 2.

3rd period starts with a little rough stuff. Stamkos tries to go around the Wiz, who makes an effort to hip-che3ck him. Ryan Malone goes nuts and jumps him. A little brawl starts, those Floridian people cheer for the 1st time of the night, and Tampa scores on the following PP. Stamkos, who else? With 4 minutes left in the 3rd, Hamrlik gets a delay of game penalty, lol, but we kill it off. And we actually get a great shorthanded chance, but Pleks hits the cross-bar.

1-1 after 3.

In OT nothing big happens, a few chances here and there, but nothing really worrisom.

Finally in the shootout, Vinny misses. Pleks scores. Stamkos puts a rocket top corner glove side. Cammy scores with an even better move than the one he pulled on Fat Man Thomas. The game now rides on the shoulders of Marty, who comes down the middle very slowly, and as he goes to do one of his crazy moves, Price pokechecks, Habs win, Habs win, Habs win…..

And that’s it boys, it’s that easy…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. The Cat says:

Whether thats crucial is debatable, I dont think it is cause its too early in the game.

17. TommyB says:

I like that “Boyd could still be a scorer”.  But on a team that is full of could be goal scorers, and some who are being paid highly for their could be’s and maybe’s, it’s hard to fit him in, at least in the that role.  Like I said, I’d like to have him back, in place one of several bottom 6 forwards we have right now.  How that would bring out goal scoring from him, I don’t know.  But it would be better than what we have there now.

18. TommyB says:

Sorry, gotta take one for the team here, krob.  Agree with your assessment of the game I will be missing.  But, I have met my friend’s wife…and his grandkids!

19. krob1000 says:

geez Tommy I commend your loyalty but gasp at your stupidity! go to the game….the US team is a fun team to watch and is littered with NHL talent and the atmosphere in Buffalo would be great for a US home game.

20. krob1000 says:

How about “Boyd could still be a scorer” ….grabovski wasn’t either….does alright, Ryder was finished..doin alright,  dagostini…same thing…Lats …same thing…Sergei …same thing.    OB on D…same thing.  Boyd is still a kid and has had the fortune or misfortune of playing on teams that had depth at center…or at least better than him at his early stage of his career.  I think if were traded to a no name team …he would develop into a strong third line center. 24 years old is still not very old….I am not saying Dustin Boyd is Crosby or a “goal scorer” at teh NHl level….but he could be…I think he has 20-25 goal potential while also playing a relatively physical game with the ability to defend himself.  I don’t think Tom Pyatt ahs that abiity…I don’t think Darche does, I don’t think Moen does, I think Boyd has more potential than Lapierre does too…and LApierre scored goals when thrust into a bigger role.  I wonder if there is more to the Boyd situation but then I look at Jm’s track record and he simpy prefers worker bees and drones to talent.  He respects the defensive side of the game…so be it…but someone on the staff needs to appreciate that goal scorers can’t be robotically going to the same ares of the ice or they don’t get open to score goals….any goal scorer often wanders in and out of the play, they appear to not even part of a rush ..then strike, they linger in the high slot or off to the side of the net and pucks find them….but JM would have none of that…they have to be on the puck, and in defensive position in case of a turnover.  JM has the guys playing great from the red line back but he needs to let them go in the other end….watch other teams crash the net…watch other teams send guys supporting behind the goal line, watch them circle and be in constant movement and have two options to pass to…and risk GASP! a turnover! …with us we all take a spot along the boards….we cycle it along them or pass it to another guy along the boards…then one guy makes a break for it…and everyone in the building sees it coming….the pass then gets picked off or he isn’t Ovechkin enough to walk  through everyone…but JM is happy because 25 seconds just passed and we didn’t get scored on…well weren’t a threat either and games are not won 0-0…but Jm is happy.

21. kempie says:

+1. Good call.

22. TommyB says:

I feel good about tonight’s game.  A change in plans for me tonight, must be an omen.  If it’s an omen, it has to be a good omen, cuz ya can’t get much more bad omens than we have seen lately.  I was supposed to go to Buffalo with a buddy to watch the USA/Germany game (yawn..but hey, it was a freebie).  Now he calls me up and tells me he is too sick to go to the game, but if I have someone else to bring, I could take the two tickets.  I told him that would be a tough sell at this late moment, so I’d have to take a pass.  He says I could still go, because his wife and grandkids are still going…I could go with them.  Ummmm….no.  Bring on those HABS!!!!!!

23. habfab14120 says:

Sorry so late to the conversation on this one.  I was surprised to hear about the rates being charged for parking.  I attended all three opening day games with my son.  We parked at the UB Main St. campus and took the train in, we’re locals so this was much easier for us to do.

However, just to be fair, it is only the private lots that are gouging.  The city owned/operated lots do have laws regarding the price they can charge and remain at $15 max.

In addition, I would refute the claim that hockey would die in this region without Canadian support.  While we certainly appreciate it and I am thankful to have it (since I’m not a Sabres fan), I know the number of local fans is great.  Hopefully, we’ll never know.  I’d like to see more events like the World Jrs. here.  The draft has been here twice and was a great success.

24. krob1000 says:

I love these opportuniteies to brag about my might mite! Steve ….I can’t view the video at work. …but…My little guy was hitting balls at 14 months and skating at 20 months as of around October he was only missing about 1 in 10 balls and would hit about 3-5 dead on…the others he would hit ball but not very solidly. He can only hit it about 20-25 yards if he gets a hold of it and he is 2…but he only uses a plastic little tikes driver with real balls! He can skate farely well now though…has no trouble shooting and turning..can’t cross over obviously and the pushes are not the greatest…occasionally strings together a couple of actual looking  strides but then reverts to one leg push and mostly gliding but he bends he knees better than some his brothers peewee teammates … it’s pretty funny watching him skate better than 4 and 5 year olds at public skating and then go to the bench and ask me to take his helmet off for his soother and blankie and then a bear paw or cookie !

He is a bit of a freak coordination wise and has been since he was walking at 7 months…but he ain’t gonna big so since us Kingstonians just got our first PGA golfer in Matt Mcquillan maybe I better get him golfing more! He loves the Habs…watches almost every first period with me….loves Pk Subban, Carey Pwice and Cammawawi! He says Boo to whoever he sees wearing a Maple Leafs jersey and says “Leafs Suck”.  I remember when I got on here and told everyone about him being born and you and a few others told me to appreciate these early years…I have been and thanks to you and the others who told me that..every single chance I get I play with him and it really is amazing how aware these young kids are…..and what they are capable of learning if you are patient and willing to throw your back out playing on the floor or ice with them all of the time. He has skated about 45 times and he turns 3 in May …he goes out so much that the local outdoor rink attendant brought a third net this year and flooded a separate area for him and in case any other toddlers wanted to play! he will hit golf balls for an hour if you let him….I line up about 8 tees and he just goes to town….he rapid fires though and I can’t seem to get him to take his time at each ball …in myrtle beach last may … just turned 2…. he mini-putted every day with us….he led my family in hole in ones over the week….that isn’t saying much though and after the first putt he just plays hockey until the ball goes in the hole!

25. punkster says:

He’s a midget. A shrimp. A smurf. I can take him!

***Subbang!!!***

26. rocketsglare says:

With Carey starting tonight, I take it that tomorrow night Auld will start against the Panthers. Time for the

boys to wake up and start playing like they can. These are two winnable games. If the Habs can close the

year with two huge wins it will say much about this team’s character and resolve to work out of their slump.

27. adam76 says:

Too many laws in this world.  Its called capitalism, and it works quite well.

28. TommyB says:

krob, change your statement to “Boyd was a goal scorer”.  I like Boyd, and I think he could replace at least one of our current roster of forwards.  Our token francophone comes to mind immediately.  But I can’t buy the suggestion that Boyd has not been handled properly by any NHL coach that he has played for, and thereby, he has no numbers to show.  Gotta call BS on that one, sorry.  The world is full of players who could score like the best of them in junior and in the minors, but in the NHL it just doesn’t happen for them.  Are all of those players being mishandled by coaches?  Some of those players were first round picks, and never panned out in the NHL, ending up getting out of hockey altogether.

29. rocketsglare says:

I disagree that Koivu had no heart. He gave his all night after night. The man was all class.

30. Mark C says:

Huge upgrade? Moore is -18 in 32 games. Let’s keep your Gomez hate within reason.

31. habstrinifan says:

Put yourself in Lars Eller shoes. Do you think he IS really happy with the status quo. He has indicated otherwise already.

JM and PG are destroying the long term development of another prospect.

Eller is such a beautiful skater, I would love to see him 2 yrs from now after having bee given huge ice time and free rein to develop his hockey smarts to go along with his great skating.

32. Mark C says:

Most B’s fans have a full-on dislike of Julien right now; they still are placing a lot of blame from the playoff choke job on him. Boston has been bailed out by the play of Thomas, and have looked flat on many nights. Trust me, if you were a Boston fan you’d as discouraged with Julien as you are with Martin.

Dave (Punkster) has some serious competition now.

34. volcano62 says:

It’s called overcoming the odds which we did.

35. adam76 says:

I did.  All I saw was plenty of across the board, incompetent officiating.

36. Propwash says:

1. This ain’t the playoffs.

2. If a team relys on constant lights-out goaltending, there are much bigger issues at hand.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

1. Bob Hartley would be a horrible choice. He’ll yell at players until he loses them completely. There’s a reason he’s on RDS and not coaching.

2. I believe Roy will be the next coach of the Canadiens. Maybe starting in 2012.

3. Kirk is already a big part of a coaching staff that you guys can’t stop criticizing.

True tat, PH.

39. adam76 says:

Oh yes, raped us right to a game 7 victory.   Moon landing was staged as well.

With the Habs in Florida, it’s kind of natural for a person to start thinking about golf.  Check out the swing of this THREE YEAR OLD boy.  What co-ordination and tempo!

41. krob1000 says:

Pleks was not phsyically mature enough to play North American hockey well enough at that stage…that simple.  Eller…is.

42. ProHabs says:

Ha ha. Just knowing the history with Gauthier and Martin, PG would never fire Martin. He would assign him to a higher position which would probably be Assistant GM. I am not a big fan of Martin myself but that is the way I see it.

What about Crosby getting a boarding penalty 10 seconds into game 7 last play-offs against the Habs? The Habs scored on the PP and went on to win the game. I guess you didn’t watch that game either.

44. krob1000 says:

Tommy… Boyd is a goal scorer….he scored 48 in his last year of junior and 27 in his first 66 game season in the AHL…but inthe NHl he has never been given anything more than a 4th line assignment and wingers.  IF he played wing it may help his chances of moving up the ladder quicker.  The kid is only 24 years old. I am not sure what he did to fall out of favour so quickly but Dustin Boyd is by no means done as an NHL player.  He can play both ends of the ice, has some speed, decent hands and smarts too.  I mean he is no Travis Moen so he shouldn’t get always put on a top wing? If we recalled him though he likely wouldn’t clear rentry waivers but he could be pacaged as part of a deal or maybe could finish the year in Hamilton and fight again for a spot in 2011-12.  I liked Boyd…he had a handfulof games that Jm didn’t like and was a minus 6 ….in JM’s world that is see ya later time.  Never mind he was just acclimating himself to a new system and team…10 games and done…I mean he is 24 and thereofre his mistakes are inexcusable.

I think Boyd couold have been a steady addition to htis team but it was irrelevant when we were suceeding so it never got any attention and noone had anything to gauge him by except a few preseason games (where he played great by the way). It all happened so quietly and Sergei was injured and started in the doghouse with Trotz in Nashville…so again noone cared.  Then came Sergei’s far better play, then came the Habs slump…now comes Boyd lighting it  up and being ineligible to be called back up…..so it is relevant again….why? because it is yet another kid who JM had zero patience with while watching without action guys like Gomez, Spacek, Hammer, Gio,etc stink up the joint for the first month and a half….but they are vets. Martin has some great philosophies defenseively and his general message is a great one, one that changed the complexion of this team but his people skills I fear are as they seem….Carbo got fired for his communication skills and I can see the same for Martin happening if this spiral continues.  perhaps the players rescue themselves and as a result Martin but his track record in a year and ahlf with Montreal is one littered with young casualties and free passes to stumbling vets.

45. volcano62 says:

Go ahead and youtube the MTL-PIT series from last year. You will see plenty of favoritism.

46. MTLForever says:

Oh so you neglect the multiple ones he has stopped? i understand.

47. New says:

I want to see the same thing but I could also see MaxPac in the corner digging it out and shoveling it behind the net to Gomez who sweeps out the right side and passes it back to Subban who passes it across the ice where it is nearly intercepted before Gill grabs it just outside the line and the team regroups passes to Gomez who fires it into the corner where MaxPac digs it out to Gionta who fires a shot that misses the net that is grabbed by Gomez who passes to Subban who blasts it into three Tampa players and watches it bounce towards center ice as the camera ignores the action to focus on Gomez gliding slowly to the bench where Gionta advises him the ref wants to speak with him.

48. volcano62 says:

Dude look it up youself…stop being lazy. It is a fact that the refs raped us in the Pittsburgh series.

49. volcano62 says:

I don’t know what I was thinking respecting the league…seems more like a circus now! And i’m sure Gretzky did get special treatment but at this point it is all speculation.

Are the Flyers the worst thing to happen in this league? Absolutely!

50. Chuck says:

Good. It’s about time that we cull the herd.

Centre Hice: Bringing a knife to a gunfight