First game against Caps

Molson
Washington is at the Bell Centre Wednesday night and the Canadiens will see the Capitals three more times before the end of the regular season.
Tampa Bay, Carolina and the Islanders won Tuesday night, tightening the race at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings.
The Canadiens are eight points out of eighth place and – gulp! – two points out of last.

And four fired Canadiens coaches – Mario Tremblay, Guy Carbonneau, Michel Therrien and Jacques Martin – were on the Tuesday night L’Antichambre.

Martin said he never lost the room and had the Canadiens playing competitive hockey, notwithstanding the Canadiens’ injuries.

Will Bourque be a target?

Geoff Molson grilled outdoors (Gazette video

Dave Stubbs on Caps’ dog days

Pat Hickey on Ryan White

What did Cammalleri say?

François Gagnon on Tomas Plekanec

Waiting for Markov

Red Fisher on Ovechkin

• Feature on Un canadien errant from the Commentariat

The latest proof Phaneuf can’t fight

And here’s a taste of the Russian Eminem:

1. Habs Requiem says:

How does one go about flying an Avatar on their profile here? There are some awfully good ones here. Thank you.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

2. Habs Requiem says:

Great 2nd period analogy by Aaron Ward on Gomez 1 way play. Showed video clip of Wash forward carrying the puck from their blueline until play reached down to our end boards. Commented on how Gomez goes for long periods of not skating when he comes back,,, especially when he trying to check the puck carrier he is just coasting. Showed as play entered into our zone is is still beyound blueline. Finally as play is down low he is behind their defensemen. Certainly the bad example that was never corrected by JM and seems to be accepted by RC.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

3. ihabto says:

If a GM says that he didn’t know Cammy was available, it’s probably because he wasn’t available to that GM. PG isn’t going to put a classified ad in ‘NHL GM Weekly’ and just wait for offers to come in. There are obviously certain teams he didn’t want Cammy on and there are probably other teams that didn’t have the piece(s) PG was looking for. Why waste your time shopping in a store that has nothing you want to buy? It seems to me that PG has gone into most of his deals with his eye on something and has gone after it which doesn’t surprise me given his pro scouting experience. I think he has done a fine job in this respect.

EDIT: I wish I had read Chris’ much more detailed but along the same lines analysis before posting this…either way, I’m behind PG and the improvements he has made to this team. I feel it is in a much better position to be successful, now and for several years, than it was before he arrived.

Next page

5. PeterStone says:

on a totally different topic. Watching some RDS show yesterday ( at least I think it was yesterday) , Raymond Bertrand made a comment, which at first I thought, typical Montreal media comment, then upon further thought, I realized he could have something there.

He suggested Habs sign PA Parenteau as a FA in the off season. He gave lots of reasons, French Canadian, he said undrafted so has had to fight to get to NHL ( i checked, actually drafted very very late – 9th round ) and would play hard every shift , and he compared him to DD. At first I thought, great, get him because he’s un Quebecois, but after thinking about it … the guy scores 20 goals a year .. he will definitely bring it, and he wont cost as much as a guy like AK, and would probably be a decent fit on a 3rd line.

Trade AK … get a player and/or prospect/pick in return, and sign a PA Parenteau for 1/2 the money, gives you an extra 2M$ to spend somewhere its needed, down the middle, and on Dee.

Tossing that out there , expecting some AK rebuttals.

6. Bripro says:

I just watched the interview with JM on l’AntiChambre.
    He really does have a sense of humour off the ice. I can almost sympathize with him.
    The panel consisted of JM, Carbo, Therrien, Mario Tremblay and François Gagnon.
    One segment addressed the media frenzy in Montreal and the fact that the electronic age of Twitter and Facebook have significantly changed the dynamic of relationships between the coaches and the media.
    FG acknowledged that the media have a part of responsibility in the coaches’ accountability.
    An example was the recent tussle between Pleks and PK.
    Normally, at morning practices, there are (for example) 40 journalists.
    The day after that tussle, there were over 60.
    And 4-1/2 out of 5 questions were the same, concentrating on that incident.
    Like JM said, “some might perceived a coach as colourless during question period” but when you face the same questions, day in, day out, it gets trying.
    In order to facilitate the questions or at least to make them more interesting, I propose that the CH organization have a placard a the door, before question period, stating the following:
    - Which goaltender will play tonight
    - Who’s injured (with a description of their status)
    - Which contracts are being addressed
    - Which strategy do they expect to used against the next opponent
    - What plans are there to revamp the PP
    - What will it take to get the team back on track

and if they get bored or have time to add:

- Who will be captain for tonight’s game
    - Which language instructor have they hired
    - An explanation of why PK had a mental breakdown the previous game
    - Why such and such was traded
    - Gill’s progression with his skating lessons
    - Is Markov still practicing in California
    - Will Gomez last the year, or what is the option for buying him out
    - Who will be used at the point on the PP
    - Are they looking at tanking the team and acquiring draft picks
    - What team-building exercises are you employing to build chemistry
    - Do you, as the coach, like to think outside the box
    - And finally, how come you never smile

7. Lafrich says:

Red Fischer is officially senile.

From his article talking about Ovechkin’s salary: “it’s well below the $12 million Brad Richards is receiving with the New York Rangers, followed by Buffalo’s Christian Ehrhoff, Tampa Bay’s Vincent Lecavalier and Philadelphia’s Ilya Bryzgalov, at $10 million apiece.”

Huh?!?! Christian Ehrhoff??? Bryzgalov? Really?

• ed lopaz says:

Lafrich,

I will reply to your post with the respect that Red Fisher deserves from you.

Check capgeek.com

Ehrhoff and Bryzgalov are both 10 million for this season.

• Lafrich says:

Well, I stand corrected – sort of.

Checking capgeek.com, those 1-season salaries are because of a “signing bonus”. Their cap hits are WAY below that. $4 Million for Ehrhoff and $5.6 for Bryzgalov. Neither of them are even in the top 50 of salaries.

Red Fischer is comparing Ovechkin’s salary of $10 million per year for many years to two guys that he happened to pluck out as having that salary for this particular year.

• shiram says:

That’s still wrong.
          Ehrhoff has a cap hit of 4 millions, but he is paid 10 millions this year, he also has a signing bonus of 8 millions. His salary, excluding signing bonuses, averaged over his contract lenght gives the cap hit of 4 millions.
          Same deal for the other guy.s
          Signing bonus does not count towards cap hit.

Check this for the season highest paid player :

And this is what they are paid this year, not their cap hits.

• PeterStone says:

Well done Ed. Nothing wrong with having an opinion. but its clear, a few folks here have ZERO class.

While i’m at it .. i agree with your comment yesterday, at least I think it was you. 5 to 6 years for Price @ 5-6M per would seem fair to me. Anything above 5 or at most 6 years seems like too long a commitment.

• Bripro says:

Buffalo’s cap hit on Ehroff is $4MM, but his salary with bonuses is $10MM this year.
      Ilya Bryzgalov’s cap hit is over $5.5M and yes, his salary is $10MM.
      I know Red is getting up there, but what’s your issue?

• Ian Cobb says:

On the Hab’s, players should be paid between 1 and 5 million max. Spread the cap more evenly, and we would have a constant winner. If you do not like this team playing for each other concept, you can walk over to the next loser team for more money, and good riddance.

8. smiler2729 says:

Mattyleg
    I was in total agreement with you, just throwing that Nilan added that goal scoring to his already appreciated contributions.

The key to every great team is their 3rd & 4th liners…
    The under appreciated plumbers make or break the season for most teams

9. smiler2729 says:

Didn’t Nilan also score 20 goals?

• habfan53 says:

Yep in “84-85 season scored 21

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

• Mattyleg says:

@Smiler
        I imagine this is a response to a post I made below about paying for the true value of ‘character’ players.
        Yes Nilan had a great scoring season, but his goals were a pleasant addition to what he really offered the team. Much like goals by S.Thornton and C.Neil.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. smiler2729 says:

The beauty of being the goalie:
    I never had to listen to a coach
    I never complained about my ice time unless they were blowing us out.
    I always got away with cranking Herb Alpert tunes in the dressing room.
    I always got a shutout (that’s what I told my girl anyway)
    I only have to sharpen my skates every other month.
    I still get to play with a one piece wooden stick with no curve (I heat ‘em and make ‘em that way)
    I never pay for tournaments or beer.
    And I grew some kinda thick skin so if it seems that I get offended here, I don’t but I do get fired up.

I could write a book about it all but some guy already did….

• ABHabsfan says:

You sharpen your goal skates every other month? I only get ‘em done once a year tops. If I get a bad ding I just use a stone or one of those porcelain “V” thingys so they don’t get too sharp.

11. bleedhabs81 says:

Did they choose DD and Diaz for the Public Relations because the kids could look them in the eye?

12. smiler2729 says:

What ulcers???

I’m a freakin’ goalie!

13. Mr.Hazard says:

Once again!
    PLEASE check out this BEAUTIFUL article by Eric Engels (if you haven’t already):

He talks about the Habs’ dressing room dynamics and PK’s struggles. I really appreciated it, very insightful.

14. smiler2729 says:

I know squat about hockey, I’ve been playing goalie all my life, I only see the game from one end and through a mask….

Look Plekanec is Don Marcotte or Steve Yzerman post-1996, he’s Butch Goring, he’s Jordan Staal okay?

15. slychard says:

Just watched the Phaneuf fight. Don’t know what Boone is on about, I thought he got some good shots in, certainly didn’t embarrass himself, oh wait, he’s a Leaf, I digress…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

16. Chris says:

SmartDog (and others who have discussed this):

Here’s my $1.02 on the Cammalleri trade…

We’ve been hearing that there are some rival GM’s that “wish they had known Cammalleri was available” and this has been used as ammunition against Gauthier’s handling of the trade. This is not the first time such a charge was levelled against the Habs…Brian Burke said exactly the same thing when Montreal traded Craig Rivet (who had been a healthy scratch in recent games and had therefore become expendable) to the San Jose Sharks for Josh Gorges and the draft pick that became Max Pacioretty.

My questiion to people is why other GM’s being out of the loop is such an egregious error? We **know** that leaks come out of various front offices as to what players are being dangled on the trade block. Look no further than the bungled trade negotiations between Gainey and Tampa Bay that would have seen Price and Plekanec + either a prospect or Gorges dealt to Tampa in exchange for Lecavalier. Gainey had to admit (through no fault of the Habs) that a deal was discussed and was trying to do damage control, and Plekanec was visibly shaken by the news when it came out in January of the following season. You don’t just tell everybody in the league what individuals are on the trade block, because that knowledge will very rapidly become public and you end up with disgruntled players. Given his treatment by the fans the past couple of months, it is reasonable to expect that Cammalleri was available. The interview with Gagnon and Basu (even if it was mishandled by those journalists, and it is their words versus his to some degree) cemented his departure. So I’m really not sure why there should be any surprise around the league.

Gauthier conducted himself in the negotiations not too far off what I would have done. The Montreal Canadiens, for better or worse, are not tanking this season. Cammalleri was perceived to be expendable and/or a problem, and they wanted at least a top-9 roster forward back in return, preferably a top-6 forward.

Teams that are loading for the playoffs are not looking to exchange players, they are looking to add players. So you’re not getting a better deal from San Jose or Vancouver or Boston. Their GM’s undoubtedly “wish they knew he was available”, but I am relatively confident that they weren’t offering up an equivalent player in exchange.

Teams at the bottom of the standings are not looking to exchange players, they want to deal their veterans for prospects and picks as they look to build for the future.

So that leaves the bubble teams, the teams hanging on to a playoff spot by the skin of their teeth or the teams on the outside looking in. So you go through those rosters and target a player…more often than not, it is going to be an exchange of players who just aren’t working out in their particular market, as was the case with Rene Bourque.

Rene Bourque was averaging ~17 minutes per game with Calgary, the fifth most amongst their forwards. He had been 4th in ice-time amongst Flames forwards the past two seasons.

He had the 3rd most goals on the team after finishing the previous two seasons second in that category to Jarome Iginla, one of the more consistent goal-scoring forwards in the NHL.

At 6’2″ and 211 pounds, Bourque is a big forward that can nonetheless skate very well. This is an attractive commodity for the Habs, who still value speed (Pacioretty, Bourque, Eller and Cole are all big men who can skate!) but are trying to get bigger up front. He is good enough defensively to have played on the second PK unit in Calgary, and he throws his wait around (albeit inconsistently).

The big knock against Bourque is inconsistency, but he’s a solid NHL player even with that knock.

Ignoring salary considerations, I’m perfectly happy with Bourque as the return on Mike Cammalleri. The question is whether Gauthier identified other players that he wanted, and we’ll (hopefully) never know the answer. That information SHOULD be confidential, but I think it is a stretch to think that an NHL team didn’t perhaps have a target list. We don’t know if Bourque was the first choice or the fifth choice. We just know that he was the choice that worked out.

Every time I hear an anonymous GM pull this “we wish we knew they were available” crap to an “insider” like Dreger or Lebrun, I see exactly why that GM DIDN’T know that player was available. Too often, they also relate what other players Montreal might have discussed dealing. Ramo went with Cammalleri to Calgary, but perhaps another hypothetical trade partner had been discussing Cammalleri and Weber. What would that do to Weber to know the team had been close to giving up on him?

I know that NHL players are professional athletes, but they are people too. Until we get to a point where the voracious demand for rumours and inside knowledge doesn’t result in inevitable leaks of trade discussions, I’m quite okay with GM’s working with trusted trade partners or targeting specific teams for discussions instead of sending out a league-wide memo about a player being available.

That last time we heard this ended up working out after all, despite the hand-wringing in some corners that perhaps we could have gotten more. Gorges was an unkown quantity at the time and the pick was a late 1st rounder, but few dispute the importance of Gorges and Pacioretty to the Habs today. :)

• Les Canayens says:

Good stuff.

Also consider that Cammalleri had a non-trade/movement clause, that limited the teams that Gauthier could talk to to start with. So those “we would’ve like to know he’s available” GMs in a subpar hockey town/team would have never hear from Gauthier anyway.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
      ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

• VancouverHab says:

Really enjoy your posts, Chris.

• mb says:

Very good post.

When the trade occured, there were a lot of posters saying that PG could have got better because he didn’t listen to any offers from other GMs who “didn’t know Cammy was available”.

Sometimes people tend to forget that maybe PG didn’t talk to some teams for a reason.

First, considering he doesn’t have a tanking mentality and considering how good former Habs player in history tend to do well with their new team, I’m pretty sure PG didn’t want to offer Cammy to an Eastern conference team. The last thing you want is to have an ex-player in a conference rival team playing good against you several times a year. Plus you don’t want to give any good assets to these rivals

Second, PG talked to teams which had players that interested him. Of course there were not 30 teams that were offering players that could interest him. (Make that 15 teams, if we take out the Eastern conference teams).

Thirdly, Cammy had a NTC, so he could eliminate 7 teams he didn’t want to be traded to.

How many teams does that get down too, now.

And like I wrote in a post right after the trade, hockey is a business. A GM doesn’t put an ad in the newspapers about the players he’s willing to offer, so 30 other GMs can read it. He selects a couple of teams / GMs, and tries to get something good.

• habfan53 says:

My presumption all along was that Gauthier WANTED Bourque and Cammaleri was the price he had to pay

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

• Mad Habber says:

Really though, any wonder they GM’s saying they wish they knew he was available, stay unnamed for the most part. Does it not also say “Hey, look at me, I wasn’t paying attention.”… If a GM was seriously interested in Cammalleri; than why didn’t he get on the horn right as soon as the “loser mentality” stuff started circling and ask?

I don’t know I thought it was part of the GMs job to be checking into that kind of stuff.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I was questioning why it was $1.02 worth of your opinion…. and then I read it, and continued reading, and reading, and reading.

Are you sure this is only worth $1.02?

Good post.

• slychard says:

Well put. Of course a GM such as Burke would make a statement after the fact simply to undermine the opposition. When a player is put on the community trading board it has to be a player of impact and Cammy does not fit that bill so, the point is mute. Not to mention if a GM was aware of a possible transaction that could possibly improve the opposition what kind of a call he could make to distract or hinder the trade, simply to put the proverbial stick in the spokes, sending the driver head first over the handlebars. PG handled the situation appropriately, in the circumstances.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Psycho29 says:

Hey! Marinaro said it’s a bad trade and Gauthier typically didn’t shop him around! And we know what a soccer…oops hockey expert Marinaro…..

Just kidding…great post, agree 102%!

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Always find your posts interesting and articulate. Thanks for posting.

• viper says:

well said chris.i myself think we got the better of that deal but time will tell and as far as other gm,s wishing they knew cammi was on the block i say this for better or worst this is pg,s team for this year anyway and if he didn,t want to deal with other teams well boo hoo he dosen,t have to get over it.we came out good on this deal…habsfanforever

17. HabFanSince72 says:

NHLer claims the Habs got more than he would have guessed for Cammalleri, according to Bert Raymond.

The gist is that Cammy has been available for a while and this individual thought the Habs would get at most a 2nd rounder (think about it – would you give up a #1 pic for an overpaid underproducing Cammalleri?).

Instead we got a 2nd rounder, a prospect, and a hard nosed player who scores 25-30 goals /season.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• SmartDog says:

I have to say that I liked Cami… and I cant’ stand most of what PG does. But after some time to think about it, I like this trade. Arghh!! That hurts to say. Agreeing with PG and PJ Stock all at once! But Cami, though a good playoff performer has a huge contract, is not a good defensive player, and the guy we got back brings just the kind of energy we need. So… good jo… good jooo…gooo… ack! I feel like Wil Smith in Hancock.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• slychard says:

Just say it in broken French ( as opposed to Marianne Faithfull’s broken English) Ca cette un bon job la comme une bonne Goaler.
        Edit: I forgot to mention, in broken French a la PJ Stock style.
        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• nunacanadien says:

I wonder what would could have got instead of Bourque who is now a marked player. You can bet Cunneyworth has given Bourque the typical “No penalties” order that the habs have issued but not repealed since JM’s days. Why sign a tough guy if we are not willing to be short handed? Why change your policy on not crashing the net and still order your players not to get penalties. Ordering hockey players not to get penalties for being offensive minded is stupid. If Gauthier was changing the way the habs play, you fire your coach. You get a new playbook. How can you change the playbook half way through a lost season without losing a few games or the whole season?

• CanadienBoy says:

Good trade and i guarantee Cammy just like Rivet will be traded again and again

18. twilighthours says:

Smiler can think what he wants about Plex, but

1) his comments make me suspicious that he doesn’t know very much about hockey. That’s a lame, overused observation but in this case true.

2) it’s far too early in Plex’ slump to proclaim him an albatross, especially when he has been far and away our best player since Sept 2009.

19. Hobie Hansen says:

With all the talk of people moving before the deadline, I hope they hold onto Travis Moen.

The guy is tough, plays a solid two-way game and can even chip in on offense. I think we should add a couple more players like Moen to the 3rd and 4th lines, not lose them!

He is 29, he makes $1.5 mill at the moment. Resign him for $2 mill for 3/4 years and put an “A” on his chest.

• G-Man says:

Maybe not the A, eh, but with the player size they want with a solid team first effort, Moen is the man. 3 more years at $2 mil should get it done.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t think of two players I’d make assistant\associate captains before Moen? Gorges might be slightly a head of Moen but that’s it.

• Mike D says:

I think we have a lot of players who are worthy of a letter, or who could rightly be considered for a letter. Gio, Pleks, Cole, Gill, Gorges, Marky (if he was playing), as well as Moen.

- Honestly yours

• Mike D says:

I agree with both of you regarding keeping Moen and came up with the same numbers (2mil for 3-5 years).

Only thing I would add is that if a team is willing to overpay to get him by the deadline, then make the trade. When you break it to him, tell him not to sell his residence in Montreal because he ;ll be back next season wearing the CH. At least that way the guy understands that he is still valued by the organization, but they found a way to add value to the team via the trade considering this season is a write-off, but still want him here in the future when things get better.

- Honestly yours

• slychard says:

Tampering? Why not…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Mike D says:

Okay, if that’s tampering then maybe tell him that when you’re close to completing a deal (hence his rights still belong to Montreal). Or build it into the trade that Montreal has an exclusive window of 1-2 days before July 1st to speak/negotiate with him.

Just something, cuz I really like our boy Travis and don’t want him playing elsewhere.

- Honestly yours

• croozer says:

Agree totally Hobie.
      Can’t overestimate the importance of character guys who give an effort. Unless he can be replaced with at least as much size and grit he should stay put. Shoulda kept Moore as well although Darche has been a decent role player too.

• Mike D says:

Moore played well for us and I didn’t like letting him walk at the time, but where would he fit in right now with our team as currently constructed? He’s basically a 3rd line C who can be bumped to 2nd line if needed (for a short time only though), and also play the 4th line if you’re going for certain things.

Pleks, DD, Eller are all 2nd line C’s with the latter two not having settled into the NHL fully yet. When those two do, they could be anywhere from 1st line to 3rd line C’s. Gomer has the skillset of a #2 C but the production of a 4th liner at best. Nokie is a 4th line C who could play the 3rd spot if needed, but likely only for a short time.

- Honestly yours

• Mattyleg says:

I think that the revolving door approach to the Habs’ ‘character players’ should be stopped. I get annoyed any time I see Kostopolous playing in Calgary.
      Hang on to Moen by all means. It’s around players like him, and not some ethereal goal-scorer that teams should be built.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Les Canayens says:

May I also add that you need to keep those character players in your team for more that that initial contract in order to show them you’re loyal to them, thus they’ll return the favor by being loyal to the team, which means standing up for teammates, sacrificing their bodies.

We always talk about how we hate Chris Neil, Shawn Thorton, etc, but how we would love them here. But these guys have been with the same team for a while to bond with the organization, and don’t expect they’ll do exactly the same amount of their antics if traded to a new club.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

• Mattyleg says:

I agree one hundred percent.
          Look at how long Chris Nilan was with us, and what he did for the team.
          He fought with opponents in order to stand up for his team-mates, but he also fought for the CH on his jersey.
          Steve Begin was the same. He threw himself around the ice for the Habs, and in front of any puck they could belt at him, and we dumped him. He cried when he left. You think Cammy cried? Or Kovalev? Ryan Smyth cried like a baby when he was traded from the Oil.
          It’s because those guys put not only their bodies, but their hearts on the line for their team.
          Gotta pay back that respect and loyalty.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• avatar_58 says:

They didn’t “ditch” Begin so much as he had no place anymore. He wasn’t getting any ice time. It was only fair to him to give him up.

• mb says:

I don’t get why so many people are actually talking about trading him. He’s exactly the type of player you want and need in a room and on the ice. He’s got grit, he’s tough and he gives his best effort game in game out.
      He seems appreciated by his teammates a lot, which is something to be considered as well. To me, he’s a keeper. I really hope we don’t get rid of him.

• vegas says:

Plekanec, Gorges, Cole can all wear a letter
      2 million if for 1 year
      1.750 of for 2 or more

I don’t think it’s trading as much as it is losing him for nothing. If they initend on keeping him make him an offer and move forward. If the 2 parties can’t meet, then make ot public and wait for the best offer

20. price365 says:

as far as goal scoring goes. all our centers are 3rd and 4th liners. time to find a couple that can put the puck in the net. gotta be a all around center. good on the backcheck, can score, putting up assist they’re pretty good but if you can only do that leaves all the goal scoring to the wingers. check malkin. if we had one almost as good as him. he has almost as many goals as assist. like I said. one almost as good. could mean the difference of losing those one goal games

21. smiler2729 says:

River view
    I’m not calling you out but I have to use your name to reply to you cuz I’m on a smartphone and there’s no reply option and it’s a different layout than the norm

22. TheMock780 says:

Bobby Holik wrote a piece on PK Subban and Erin Engels had a link to it on hockeybuzz:

PK haters be warned, he doesn’t take your side

• HabFanSince72 says:

Excellent article. The following sentence encapsulates the problem with the Habs under Gainey:

“Back in the early 90s, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson understood this …”

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• mb says:

Well written piece.

He’s spot on about channeling PK’s abilities and trying to guide him. I think what many young players that have been part of this organization lacked of is exactly that, guidance.

I really don’t think trying to shut his enthusiasm down will help his development. PK has got talent, for sure. But he’s also got passion and attitude, which can be either an upside or a downside. It just depends of the way a player handles it.

PK has to mature, I think there’s no doubt about it.
      But please, Habs organization, don’t quit on this young guy like so many others before him. Just make sure he settles down a bit and he gets the time to mature in what, I believe, will be a great defenseman for this team.

• Gerry H says:

I thought that was a very good piece as well. There is no denying Subban’s talent and the Habs are very lucky to have him. He probably requires a little more care and feeding than the average sophomore Dman, but the pay off should be more than worth it.

That said, I’ll repeat a comment I’ve made before: The biggest flaw in his makeup right now is immaturity. I’m not talking about his exuberance. He can keep on low-fiving, chirping and lavishly celebrating goals until he reaches Chelios-like years in the league and I’d be happy as a clam. What I hope he’ll grow out of sooner rather than later is the overwrought manouevers in situations where the simple play will work. I’ve lost count of the number of turnovers he’s coughed up in the defensive zone that came as the result of needlessly complex attempted pirrhouettes and such, where a simple reverse along the back boards to his partner or an off the boards clearance into the neutral zone was the obvious and correct play. These are low pressure situations, I’m talking about, not desparate ones. In the latter, his phenomenal mobility and quickness serve him well. I love the spinaramas, just not when the added degree of difficulty is unwarranted.

• mb says:

Good observation.

He does try to do too much at times, many times in fact. I don’t mind him trying good moves when he’s pretty much alone in the d-zone and he wants to start an offensive rush.
        However, he too often tries exuberant plays when he could, and should, keep it simple. He should realize that sometimes the best thing to do is make sure to get the puck out of the zone or make simple passes, instead of trying to show his skills. He tries to keep control of the puck for himself, but the opponent too often manages to get the puck away from him and get good scoring chances.
        He also looks nervous sometimes, he makes stupid passes without really looking first, which almost inevitably becomes a turnover.

I really feel like the “PK” “PK” chants he received whenever he touched the puck, as he got in Montreal, have something to do with it. He tries to do too much, rather than settle down and keep it simple, when necessary.

23. smiler2729 says:

Geez
    Imagine if Price or Gionta had admitted they played like little girls in the playoffs, you people would be all over that forever but why is Pleks immune???

Does he have compromising photos of you people???

It is an opinion and believe me, I’m not the only one

I’m not saying he’s terrible , just not worth the contract or elevated status he’s gotten.

He’s a defensive center with good offensive abilities but NOT in my opinion a top 6

Forgive me!!!!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Good for you and the others. It’s your opinion which I will ALWAYS disagree with.

Plekanec is his own worst critic, that is why he said that, and I liked that he said. He knew he had to play better and took ownership of it (he did play better, leading scorer two years since).

I would love some other players to admit when they need to be better instead of spreading the blame when unwarranted.

24. ed lopaz says:

re: the Plekanec discussion below.

I believe that Plekanec is being used incorrectly by the habs.

I believe Eller should be the “shut down” center – and RC has started doing that.

I also think that other forwards should be taking Plekanec’s spot on the penalty kill.

Now…before I get someone reminding me of how great our PK is, I appreciate and understand that Plekanec is a terrific penalty kill guy.

But we can use a whole bunch of guys for that role. And I am HOPEFUL that they will do the job almost as well as Plekanec.
    (hopeful because I can not be sure until we try).

Then, free from his PK duties and his “shutdown” the #1 center on the opposing team responsibility,

I would freakin TURN PLEKANEC LOOSE!!

That doesn’t mean he should forget how to backcheck or play defence.

But I would tell Plekanec – go out and play 17-20 minutes a night, 5 on 5 and power play, and CREATE OFFENCE FOR THIS TEAM!!

We need a center who can get a point a game – 80-90 points a season not 60.

lets see if Plekanec – in a new and less demanding role, can emerge as an 80-90 point per season center.

I am hopeful he can do it.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Ed, I think we are starting to see this happen. Others are taking more time on the PK…Nice to see that Tomas does not have to be EVERYTHING all the time now!

I am glad DD-Pacioretty-Cole are getting great offensive numbers, and I hope it continues.

Plekanec has had chances this year, he is just snakebitten right now. Short handed, he almost always gets a chance to score because he is a very smart player, and I hope he starts to pot those.

• SmartDog says:

I believe you have a good point.
      I think Pleks is a “good soldier” and whatever you tell him to do he’ll do it and get better and better at it. They should tell Eller “watch Pleks on the PK and learn to do what he does” and tell Pleks, we’re making you more offensive, start thinking that way.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

25. smiler2729 says:

River view
    I used that Game 7 as an example of where the team needed an important faceoff win and Pleks failed.

I’m not the only one that thinks he’s overrated overvalued and yeah also overused, I just seem to be the only one who says it.

Why are Price, Subban, Gomez, Gionta, AK46 etc all fair game here but you throw in Plex and insults get hurled

• SmartDog says:

I think it’s for two reasons:
      1. Plecanek has been one of the most consistantly hard-working and effective players on this team the last 3 years. Not just leading scorer but ALSO leading defensive forward – that’s a combination that is worthy of respect and appreciation.
      2. He signed a long-term extension contract that was actually REASONABLE and not insane. For all we hear about “I want to stay in Montreal” guys like Markov rape the team when they have the chance. His contract, for what little service he’s been the last couple of years, and for the gamble the team took on him still pisses me off. Markvo and his agent have ZERO appreciation for much the Habs faithful have supported his injured and useless ass. Whatever YOU think of him, Plex coulda gotten more. He didn’t – he chose to stay for less.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Mike D says:

I agree with your points re: Pleks. I have to disagree with your points on Markov though. I realize 5.75mil is a TON of cash to spend on a player who had major knee issues, but a healthy Markov playing to his potential would have gotten 7mil on the open market, and possibly from the Habs on an extension. He may not be a physical presence, but you don’t necessarily have to be a physical Dman to be effective (see Lidstrom, Nick).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Marky take a hometown discount on his previous contract with us?

I truly believe Markov was expected to be back sometime in October when the deal was signed, and suffered a setback afterwards. Can’t fault PG for that even though most do. Markov’s dedication and work ethic have never been in question and I’m sure no one is more displeased than the man himself that he’s not playing right now. Just my $0.02 anyway.

- Honestly yours

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Plekanec has played in every role that has been asked, and we hear nothing about him as being a Cammalleri Cry baby type. Subban has not played long enough in the NHL, and from what we hear, he has some issues with his attitude (i.e. coach, players from around the league, etc).

I like Gomez (contract sucks, but used properly with the correct linemates will pay dividends)
      I like Gionta (he is an expensive Koivu, I really liked Koivu, so what is not to like about Gionta, besides all the missed chances that Gomez HAS given him over their tenure)
      I like Andrei (Big body, one of the best wristers in the east)
      I like Subban (but he has a lot of work to do…)
      Price proved last year he is a good goalie.

So I am really not sure where you call me out saying those above names are people who are fair game?

Maybe other posters talk about them, so because I don’t step in and defend them I am throwing them under the bus? I can’t be on this sandbox site all the time, so I have not idea what schoolyard fights are taking place. When I do jump on and read something I disagree with, I will comment.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

One last thing, sure Pleks is not been getting the points for a while, but last time I checked, he ONLY recently got surpassed as the leader in points, while still playing in all situations on the game and having a slump.

26. price365 says:

What does language have to do with coaching – if it’s a language thing in Montreal for coaches – than they should have all french players playing on the team and there wouldn’t be a problem with coaching, the media or the players – can’t have it both ways.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Whether you agree or not, language is huge issue in Montreal and to the fans who fill the seats. When I lived there in the mid 70′s, if you missed the score of the game, you could tell how the team was doing by the mood on the subway in the morning. C’est domage but there you go. Of course, 60-8-12 spoiled everyone.