First elimination game

4672248

Faced with the prospect of winning or going home, your Montreal Canadiens went 5-1 a year ago.

That was then.

They have to beat the Bruins at the Bell Centre to stay alive. And if they need an inspirational example, the Lightning staved off elimination on home ice last night.

A good omen: The Montreal Symphony Orchestra Brass Quintet is playing the national anthems before Game 6.

The Canadiens have never lost a game preceded by the MSO Five.

Martin is an optimist

Dave Stubbs on dream of Game 7

Pat Hickey corrects Boston columnist

• Arpon Basu: Time for leaders to lead

Stephen Brunt on desperate times

• Réjean Tremblay on the ghosts

Are the Predators this season’s Canadiens?

Monday practice photo by Peter McCabe of The Gazette

1. secretdragonfly says:

I have a special request for all the fans at the Bell Centre tonight – please, for the love of god, DO NOT start the Ole Ole chant at any point in the game; the only exception being a 7 goal lead with 30 seconds left in the game. Thank you.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya, time for a new chant!

• Rush says:

Couldn’t agree more, secret -

I don’t get it, and it drives me around the bend that people would do that as early in the game as they do, w the Habs having, say, a one-goal lead.

I grew up in Montreal – in the ’60′s / early ’70′s, and can’t tell you how happy I am that I never had to listen to that.

And instead got to enjoy Dutchy and his respectful horn…

• G-Man says:

The Olé Olé song is about the team playing well and with a good rhythm. It has nothing to do with the score or mocking the other team. I can’t understand why people think it has to do with the Habs being ahead when they sing the Na-na Hey-hey Goodbye song for that. Or is it against the law for fans to actually have fun at the effing game?

• secretdragonfly says:

Nothing wrong with chanting “Go Habs Go” – it just seems that when the Olé Olé starts, it usually seems to have the reverse of the desired effect. And did anyone watching the Tampa-Pitts game last night hear them pumping Olé Olé through the sound system? Ridiculous.

• Price_Is_Right says:

SERIOUSLY, people are acting as if they’re singing the “Na Na Na Na…Goodbye song1″ which BTW should’nt be sung unless were up by 4 goals with less than 1 minute to play…IN THE 3rd PERIOD YOU MORONS!

Good things come to those who wait…But only what’s left by those who hustle!

• Habitant33 says:

I agree. It seems like every time the Ole chant gets going, the opposing team scores .
      How about instead ‘Boston Blows!”

• munch17 says:

I’ll remember – but don’t forget there is a difference between the ole song and the nana good – bye song.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

As a very long time avid Habs fan, I think it’s time to retire that “ole, ole” chant. Fans in other rinks are chanting that to the Habs when we’re losing. But more importantly, it seems too “soccerish” or “Europeanish”. It doesn’t have a North American grittiness or toughness to it.

2. SnowManHabs85 says:

I wonder how many times Bob Cole will keep calling Cammy Gomez again. Anyone has count of the last game? It was funny and he was trying to recall when was Gomez last goal was too.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya god bless Bob Cole! I’ve heard him make a few mistakes in the past but that Cammalleri/Gomez mix up went on for several minutes.

Cole has always been fair unlike most of the other Toronto fans at the CBC. Time for the legend to hang’em up after this year though I think.

• VancouverHab says:

Actually, he called Gionta Gomez a few times two games ago.

Does anybody have a live stream address for the Schalke Man United game on now?

4. HalifaxHabs says:

FYI: I really hate the Bruins, alot.

5. habsindepth says:

Game 6 recipe should be simple enough. Show up, work hard every shift, don’t make stupid mistakes and take shots on lil timmy. Oh and try to avoid the Boston players playing carrying out goalie duties when Timmy is out looking for the puck.

In all seriousness though, I have to say this, Scotty gotta show up! He has to play hard and show us all how much he really loves playoff season. Price, he knows what to do. Subban will be a star tonight! I know we can do it… but i’m just a bit nervous.

Gill says: Do whatever it takes: http://bit.ly/gFikgV
    ===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth

6. HUDSONHAB says:

I just want to go on record to say that I hate these extra days off between games. I know the reasoning behind it but it is not a fair or balanced way of doing things. Some teams series get it and some don’t. They are sometimes a momentum killer and in some cases teams get an extra day off to rest.
    JUST DON”T LIKE IT!

….Hab4life….

With you 100% Hudson, said the same thing yesterday. On the bright side, after we win tonight, right back at it tomorrow night, Momentum will be fresh and with us!

• shiram says:

I agree and back to back playoffs game must be very taxing for the players, but they have to conform to the arenas schedule as well.

• ffenliv says:

Ya, it’s not as though the league went out of its way to create an unbalanced schedule. I’m sure they would much prefer a day on/day off routine across the board.

On the other hand, it has created a night with 2 game 7s, and one do-or-die for the habs.

In related news, does anyone else want Chicago to win tonight just to see the 4-game comeback? I know we saw it last year, but before that it was decades. I think it’s the Bertuzzi curse. Remember when he told Wild fans when Vancouver was up 3 games to 1 not to bother buying game 6 tickets? And then they lost 3 straight? It’s like the stink of that quote is stuck in the vancouver area.

• LA Loyalist says:

They are completely freaked out in Vancouver. Check out their newspapers and blogs.

I think they will implode tonight. All the pressure is on them and Chicago can just relax and go for the jugular.

• Duracell3 says:

Lou is playing, my fearless prediction; although I wish he didn’t, he will fold as he has in 99% of these situations hes played at on this level.

7. STLHabsFan says:

Thanks, Hobie! I’ll give them a try when I get home from work tonight.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya there’s a bunch of other sites out there that live stream the games…they might not be legal but either is j-walking…

Just type in “free live streaming hockey”

8. STLHabsFan says:

Versus will be showing Mr. Snyder’s team against Buffalo tonight. The Comcast Connection lives!

Guess it’s me and CJAD over the Internet tonight.

[sigh] St. Louis is such a baseball town. The local rag, the Post-Dispatch, covered the playoffs in 1/8 of a page. Ah, mes amis, you don’t know how good you have it in Mont Royal.

GO HABS GO!!!

Tried to do some research on games results with Chris Lee reffing. Did discover fans from all over NHL hate this referee. Why does it seem though when he refs our games it is one sided against us!

10. HabsFanInTampa says:

Please, please win tonight!!!!
    Amen.

11. justreal says:

I faith in our guys tonight, we’ve been their, done that and succeeded…last year, remember? OH YES U DO…hopefully will be the same case for tonight and the series.

Not bcz Im a die hard HABS fan, but i think the best team should win this series, and it would suck if MTL wouldn’t, bcz thgey have proven they’re better…but do have a good feeling about it! We are good when facing elimination…GO HABS GO!!!!

12. joshua94k says:

Game 6 Focus

White leads all Bruins and Canadiens in hits this series with 21, almost twice as many as Bruins’ alleged powerforward Milan Lucic (12).

Who said Canadiens lack toughness…

Mike Cammalleri is second in play-off scoring with 7 points. Perry and St. Louis are tied with 8.

Who said the Canadiens lack scoring…

13. Mats26 says:

I’ll wave a candle in front of my autographed Richard #9 jersey hanging in the basement. Did the same last year before heading to the Verizon Center to watch game 7 with my son (his first game ever!)

14. shiram says:

As per Renaud Lavoie…
    James Wisniewski should play tonight. Will be a suprise if not. Yannick Weber in for David Desharnais. Benoit Pouliot out.

15. Alex Rio says:

the 2 games we won i went out for the games.
    the 3 we lost i watched at home

what will i do? common sense…
    BUT
    If habs lose AND i go out…i will lose my mind

16. Habitoban says:

Looks like DD out for sure, with Wiz playing. Weber in for DD and Benny out. As per Engels Tweets from local media.

17. _Habsoloutly_ says:

No way the habs lose game six at home. No way. Game seven awaits.

18. Propwash says:

So, gotta play against the B’s and Chris Lee.
    Should be fun.

19. Danno says:

Anything can happen.
    A slapshot can ACCIDENTALLY hit Lee in the face.
    Anything can happen.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. TOEmastro says:

990 had the malocchio removed from the team, had a priest and will have a rabbi later on, plus the brass quintet… the league’s response? Chris F’n Lee

Olé, olé, olé oleé

21. shiram says:

Anyone with playoffs superstitions going on? I know there is a beard-a-thon going.
    On my side, I decided to do something different, and more long term.
    I have not had a haircut since season start, the beard though has been all kinds of size and shape.

• Bugs says:

I put my Hab flag up in the front window after we won the first 2. Been losin ever since. It’s still up there; I don’t know what to do. Surely THAT’S not the reason… I mean, c’mon.
      Got the jitters though; all sortsa torn up about it.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• habsindepth says:

Remove it. Comeon. Be a sport.

===================================
        Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
        Twitter: @habsindepth

• shiram says:

Use the Force Bugs, it will guide you in your actions.

• volcano62 says:

Take it down! You never know what can happen!

• Ton says:

Listen you need to go back in your repetoire of superstitions, change it up, bring it down. I am sure you have others, I do and I don’t want to list them their embarrassing.

• Bugs says:

I have my repertoire of spells’n'curses, but I don’t know which one to use. Been thinkin about this for days actually.
          Can’t curse a Bruin with Stankness, cuz they’re not playin that great to begin with and it will have minimal effect, if any.
          Can’t curse with Bad Luck, cuz Bad Luck is the only reason they’re up, and I fear I would only compound the problem.
          Blindness, Rot Gut, Shites, Shafts, Shivs, Boils, Tripness, Enragement, Cotton Mouth, Cleft Knee, Acute Imaginary Feedback, you name it, I got it, but I have no idea which one to use, and the more time is lost today, the more limited will become the selection.
          Very tricky.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• shiram says:

Dehydration seems to work good on them­.

• Bugs says:

Yes, but Chara recovered, Shira.
            Which can only mean that he is wearing a lion-seal’s tooth attached to a silver chain about his neck which would also ward off any similar Fluid Displacement attacks.
            Of course, Equilibrium Loss is quick’n'easy’n'efficient, but it’s just one guy, and that guy hasn’t been a factor, so in essence, it would be wasting the curse.
            I need a sure thing.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• shiram says:

Target Thomas. You do your juju I’ll do my voodoo.

• Bugs says:

Hmm…interesting, Shira. Yes, shoulda thought’o'that…
            I’ll see what I can do.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• Ton says:

I got the white towel from game 4 and its being removed from the home, the bell center was cursed and cleansed today. I got to move it off property, should be interesting relocating it. might put it in the car and park it along the curb.

• HUDSONHAB says:

Just move it or add a pin to it.

….Hab4life….

• Storm Man says:

I always blast “welcome to the jungle” before each game.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I live in Ottawa so I go out on my balcony, hold my mini Habs Stanley Cup up, towards where I believe the Centre Bell is located, and say a little prayer!

I’m probably pointing it towards Baghdad but it’s the thought that counts!

• flowerpower_74 says:

We have a few rules concerning the Habs Games @ my buddies’ place.
      1.) No Opposing fans allowed.
      2.) Have to wear something Habs before walking in.
      3.) Must always have an open beer in front of you (even if you don’t drink)
      4.) Answer the phone”GO HABS GO!”
      5.) A few of us HAVE to be there before the opening face-off.
      6.) No Black Socks against Boston

And there are a couple of other rules, but you get the Idea.

I also have a few personal superstitions that I apply to myself.

Team Defence wins Championships…

22. EricInStL says:

For anyone who thinks the NHL will LET a Canadian team win. Your proof is in the reffing. Chris Lee, man the NHL does not care what we think do they. Right in front of your eyes my friends…. We are being laughed at.

In Vegas’s eyes, MTL should be + 2.5 with Chris Lee reffing….

23. Exit716 says:

I can’t believe anyone in the media in either city takes Stephen Harris’s columns seriously. The guy is a total fool.

24. Habitant33 says:

Ok, little less than 7 hours to go. Time to pull out all the stops! Might pull out the Vintage Roy jersey tonight hang it on the side of the tv set, and wear th Price Jersey. It’s all about Kharma.

Chara will get run over by the Zamboni in warm ups.

Habs win 4-2 force game 7!!!

Go Habs Go!!

25. Ton says:

Breaking news! Tony Marinaro has mandated Medelena the Montreal gypsy fortune teller to remove all curses. The bell center, Gomez, (she’s vomiting/migraines removing all the curses on this guy) , Cammi, Pleks, Price have all curses removed, they are winning tonight according to Medelena. Looks like were good for tonight.

How long can it take for a moderator to remove all the bullsh*t spam we are being innundated with lately. Can’t there be a program where a post has to include “habs” or “gomez and some adjective related to underpaid” etc… and if it doesn’t have that then it is immediately removed?

“Takes the Sh*t right out of your shirt”

• habsindepth says:

hahaha.. haven’t seen “Gomez” and “Underpaid” in the same sentence yet. LOL

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth

• habs365 says:

Don’t blame Gomez blame the people who traded for him–He has easy money till he retires and can play what ever way he wants.
      get use to it. he’s not going away anytime soon…..

• LA Loyalist says:

…then we aren’t going to win any time soon. Or we will win in spite of him. You’d think he’d have some pride and want to go out on his shield, but I guess not.

He’s a shame on #11, that’s for sure.

• KenD29 says:

Fear not, all will be good. Marilena saw a circle when she was working her voodoo magic last night. The question is whether the circle means he will actually light the lamp or come up with another donut.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

• habs365 says:

The only Issue I have is money–we could have had two 20-goal scores for what he’s been paid not very smart thinking on management’s part…..

It is still my opinion that the Habs wont win a Cup with Gomez, Gionta, Cammy and Plex as 20+ minutes per game play-off performers. I also doubt that JM’s system will do anything other than teach other more potent teams, in terms of offensive power, how to win it all.

High draft picks. Teams don’t win Cups without them.

• Ton says:

For all intense purposes; lets say we didn’t sign any free agents in the last 5 years. No Cammi, Gionta, no Hammer, no gomez, no moen, etc. Lets say we went with our draft picks only it would not have been enough to sustain a competitive team. Our records of drafting (its a 50/50 chance of getting a good player)was weak from 2000- 2005. I think were ok with the core we have and the youth on this team is filling the roster in nicely, subban, price, max is going to be a jewel, just watch and see! cammi, gionta, and gomex still have alot of hockey in them. things could turn for Gomez, I have seen players have down years on hockey and come back (ie. the goalie were playing against)

28. JohnBellyful says:

I’m slow on the uptake so pardon my obtuseness. I’m having trouble understanding The System. Yes, I know, it’s been two years. I told you, I’m slow. But from what I can gather just watching the games and not sitting in on practices it seems to me The System:
    – doesn’t generate much offence
    – allows plenty of shots and good scoring opportunities
    – isn’t much concerned with winning faceoffs
    – isn’t obsessed with teaching players how to make/receive a pass
    – could use a refresher on establishing a strong power play
    – is amazingly tolerant of stupid penalties
    – has done little to minimize frequent failures to clear the zone
    As for the negatives … No, I’ve said too much. I’ve paraded my ignorance (which will likely be the only parade HIO posters get to see this year). It’s time to move on.
    To be fair, there has been of fewer of these glaring deficiencies in the playoffs than was the case in the regular season so that gives me hope for tonight.
    What worries me is The System IS working and that the inadequacies cited above would be even greater if it weren’t in place.

P.S. I wouldn’t be so concerned with these failings if I weren’t a diehard Habs fan. Some might see it as whining, I see it more as a lament. And as much as I might grumble about my beloved team, I don’t want the season to end tonight but in a few more weeks (cuz we all know hockey comes to an end when the Habs are out)

• Bugs says:

Meeeh. More snark than spark, that’n.
      Expect more when you set the bar, Belly.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• habstrinifan says:

Other features of THE SYSTEM…

Very very little offensive combination between defense and forward..even on the PP. On the PP, the system means mostly defense at point fires puck at net and hope for one of those ‘dirty goals’. Very little usage of the extra man excpet to have more bodies at the net. On 5-on-5 you can drive a cruise ship thru the gap between the forwards and defense when the team is ‘on the attack’.

Long term development? As you put it, the system pays very little concern with “with teaching players how to make/receive a pass”.
        As Liam MaGuire, a diehard and knowledgeable habs fan/analyst, put it. Jm CAN assemble almost any group of hockey players and get around 82 points per season. But when you look at the long term improvement of comprehensive ‘skillset’ and individual players emerging into team leaders by dominating passing/receiving/playmaking, combination plays etc… it falls short. So you really never know the real high end value of any player.

” is amazingly tolerant of stupid penalties.”.. Any sporting competition pits the ‘skills and mindset’ of one against the other. If one of those participants over emphasises the ‘defender’ tactic then he temporarily discards a portion of his skillset and his mindset becomes more prone in ‘thwarting’ a good play rather than engineering a ‘good play’. In almost all sports the officials will make the call leaning more against the person ‘thwarting’ the player who is attempting to seize (make the play). A simple experiment is for u to play the rather simple game of arm-wrestling intent on only ‘tiring’ your opponent out with your resistance and not trying to ‘force his arm back’ with muscle engagement and breathing pattern and ‘core’ holding techniques and it will dawn on you rather quickly how prone you will be to infractions.

I could go ON and ON.. but again i refer you to Liam’s observation. They ‘SYSTEM will give you 80 points almost every time but with narry an 80 point producer.

29. ritcey14 says:

just a question, does gomez ever show for optional skates?

30. wd40 says:

at least add something like Go Habs Go, jackass!

31. WindsorHab-10 says:

Pressure on the Bruins to close it out tonight. You know they don’t want to go back to Boston & play a game 7.

32. Willy says:

TSN reporting already that DD is out for tonight. Weber or Benny in? Personally, i hope for Weber as he deserves a shot after his 1 game stint in which he looked good.

IMO should be Weber if only because of the flexibility of defence/forward. Obviously Wiz is still nicked up and having Weber perhaps can spell Wiz for a few shifts here and there. Besides that Weber has 2 career goals in 4 career playoff games i think!!!

“Takes the Sh*t right out of your shirt”

• Habitoban says:

Habs are 2-0 with Benny in the lineup (3rd game he only played a few minutes, becausee, well… you know the story). Coincidence? Sadly yes, but I would like to see him go tonight nevertheless. If Wiz is in, it does make sense for Weber to play for DD and as a back up in case Wiz goes down during the match. Then again “sense” doesn’t always seem to drive decision-making.

33. 123456 says:

is game 6 tonight?

34. psyko514 says:

This is going to be another exciting game. And the Habs will no doubt win this one. I’m hoping that Wiz and DD play, though.

If Wiz sits, who goes in? Mara or Weber?

____________________________________________
    All They Do Is Win (The Stanley Cup) – Deprisk

35. observer says:

Habs have to win ONE game in a row – twice. Not impossible!

36. HabsoluteFan says:

DD and Wiz both game-time decisions per canadiens.com twitter

37. LesJHep says:

When is coach going to put Gomer on the 4th line? We need someone to step up & be 2nd line center. Spacek needs to take a seat in press box. Put in Weber or Mara, can’t hurt. I guess this late in the season it won’t happen. Anyway cheer hard tonight.
    GO HABS GO
    A Habs fan since early 50′s.

LJH

38. PrimeTime says:

When the Habs are eliminated from the playoffs this year, it won’t be because we have Price instead of Halak. Anyone who believes so is either ignorant, antagonizing, or a troll. That same person may believe that Halak is the better goalie or better playoff goalie but the truth of the matter is that it is all heresay. Price is a cornerstone of this team which means his play is indicative of the team’s result. They have not won too many games that Price did not play well. But they also lost many games in which he did. Meaning his play, or if Halak was in goal, is not the only indication of a win or a loss. There will always be narrow minded fans looking to justify their opinions but those same fans just seek so to comfort their own ego’s when the Habs are eliminated.

• Rainrocket16 says:

Those sames fans, also saw something in a goaltender who was absolutely amazing this time last year. I do agree with you, Price and Halak are both great goalies, Price is the cornerstone of this team and no way in hell can goalies be blamed in this series. Halak went to a crappy team and hopefully someday will improve, I wish him the best. Price is truly an inspiration to this team and its fans, we havent seen it all yet, but it will be grand someday!

So while we have our fun with Gomez contract for the next few years, imagine if the Canucks lose tonight and Luongo shits the bed again. That contract has 11 more years on it!!!

“Takes the Sh*t right out of your shirt”

• MontrealAtheist says:

Halak went to a crappy team”

This “crappy team” managed to beat the $#@! out of us just fine at a time when we were still in the race for first place in the division. If they are a crappy team, where does this put us? Moreover, they also managed to score 10 goals in Detroit which is no easy feat for any team.

It’s a fact that the Western Conference is far more competitive than the East, so who knows how the Blues would have fared in our conference, but their results suggest that they are anything but “crappy”.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Well, extrapolating a teams worth based on two games would have won us a playoff round already.

We also had a perfect record against the best team in the west (factually far stronger than the East, according to yourself and many others) this year, over two games.

Just sayin……..

____________________________________________________
          Win 2 for the Liquor Pig!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed 100%

Look at Philadelphia making it to the finals last year. They played amazing in front of Leighton, who’s complete garbage.

Chicago’s goaltender was average at best as well.

Both those teams were amazing in front of their goaltender.

If Montreal played half as well as the flyers did last spring they and Price would be hoisting the cup.

Halak managed to get his body in front of a tremendous amount of shots last spring and he was awesome, no doubt. But to ride a streak of luck like that into the finals is next to impossible.

When the team in front of him gets their act together, Price will be more than just steady and reliable.

• Bob Barker says:

I agree 100%. He’s near the top of the league in every category. Price and Subban are the bright spots of this franchise.

39. smiler2729 says:

In this series, if you’re the Habs you have to take this game one period at a time.

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

40. FrederictonHabsfan says:

Nervously awaiting tonights game….

I’m still not sure what to make of Jaques Martin. I often find he’s too rigid and stubborn with his system. It does work well at tiems whn played correctly, but there are times when you need to be flexable and it doen’t seem he can bring himself to make a change. I also get tired of his “veteran” rules and refusal to sit someone who is struggling. At some point in this series it was time to give Mara a start over Spacek. But it won’t happen. I also don’t expect there will be any motivational speeches coming from him to get the team amped up….

Why is Pyatt centering the 4th line when Halpern should be? The lines should be:

White-Plek-Cammy
    Darche-Gomez-Gionta
    AK-Eller-Weber
    Pyatt-Halpern-Moen

At least IMO. Darche has shown better hands and more net presence than Moen. But Moen could make for a nice defensive/evenergy line if he was with Pyatt and Halpern. I know White on the first line won’t happen, but i think AK needs to drop to the 3rd line due to his lazy backchecking. PLus he seemed to click with Eller anyway. White would bring more energy to the first line and give them someone more willing to get their hands dirty. I don’t think Jacques trusts him defenisvely enough to be in play in the matchup against the Krejci line though.

Weber also NEEDS to play. If Wiz is out it’s an absolute no brainer. But the 2nd PP wave needs him on the point. Spacek is useless back there. I personally prefer him to play 4th line wing on his more regular instead of trying to have him match the Bruins size on D. I go with Mara on D if Wiz misses, Weber on the wing to replace DD.

Again… imagine if we were healthy: DD, Patches, Markov, Gorges…. I know you could argue we wouldn’t have Sopel or Wiz… but still….

Markov-Gorges
    Subban-Gill
    Wiz-Hammer
    Spacek

That’s a darn good D.

Anyway… there are mroe than enough guys on this team with experience to know what tonight means and what you have to do to win. Gomez, Pleks, Gionta, Cammy…. They have to have their best games of the year.

Now or never.

41. rocketsglare says:

No way does Montreal lose 4 straight and 3 home games to Boston.
    Tonight the Habs will win and send this series back to Boston for a
    Game 7. Bet on it!

42. habs001 says:

while anything can happen in o/t the odds of winning in o/t are clearly with boston as they can roll way more forwards that have scoring ability than we do….

43. habs001 says:

when you have a team that has major scoring issues it does not matter who you play you will struggle…we would be in a life and death series with the leafs ,islanders or oilers…

• HabsoluteFan says:

We’re not playing those teams, enjoy the moment…the Habs are in the playoffs and could force a game 7 by winning tonight. You’ll have all summer to talk about how you want to boost the team’s offence.

• habs001 says:

last season it was clear we had scoring problems yet we did not address it going into this year…we lost metro,ak74,mab and moore which was over 35 goals from the line up…to replace those goals we hoped it would be done by eller,halpern,boyd and pk but they would only replace those 35 goals and our overall scoring was even worse this year than last year…

We did add Max Pac to lineup, and he looked to being on his way to becoming solid 20-30 goal scorer

“Takes the Sh*t right out of your shirt”

• Hobie Hansen says:

We’d sweep any of those teams…

• Mark C says:

You know not allowing goals counts for something too. The team that scores more goals than they allow wins, not necessarily the team that scores a lot.

• habs001 says:

that is true…but lack of scoring will catch up to you….when games are tied all the time or go into o/t the team with more skilled scoring forwards has a better chance at winning…at the beginning of the series i said i would not be suprised if we won 4 in a row by 2-1 o/t wins but by the same token i would not have been suprised if we lost 4 in a row in o/t…it is very hard to continue to win by averaging 2 goals a game…

• Mark C says:

I think we’re giving too much credit to one aspect that affects win/loses. Sure having more skilled forwards is an advantage, but so is having a more skilled goalie, or more skilled D, or having one or two players that are playing well above their norms, or catching a lucky bounce. There are endless different areas of the game that create advantages and disadvantages.

• habs001 says:

last tear we beat 2 teams that had way better scoring than us but we had much better goaltending and team d…this year the goaltending and team d is pretty even but boston has the scoring advantage…

44. Hobie Hansen says:

In my humble opinion, not trying to offend any of my fellow HIO posters:

It’s pretty surprising to still see a few people still grumbling over Jaro Halak, on such an important day. I’ll be the first to admit I wasn’t sure if Montreal made the right decision to keep Price before the season started.
    Was I an idiot like the few thousand people in the Bell Centre that booed him, never! Those people, just as Bob Gainey said about the people who booed Briesbois, are spineless and cowards!
    Halak was hotter than a firecracker at this time last year, there’s no doubt about it. However, Price is twice then goaltender Halak is!
    Price is fundamentally sound and plays the position perfectly. It’s not Price’s job to steal games night after night. Halak did it last year but two rounds is as long as that show lasted.
    If the team doesn’t play perfectly in front of their goaltender they don’t have a chance. A goalie can steal a game or two, like Price already did in Boston this series, but it’s a total team effort.
    Even if Price and the Habs are knocked out tonight and again in the first round next season, when all is said and done, Price will be twice the playoff goalie than Halak ever will be.

For starters I have been a huge Price fan especially watching him in World Juniors. Having said that, I don’t think any of us can say Price is better or twice as good. I think we have an excellent young goalie who can be a cornerstone of the team for a long time. The team had to move 1 of them, as both are #1′s. Hopefully Eller keeps developing and then we will have reaped something from Halak. I wish Halak nothing but the best in St. Louis (as long he never steals an important game from us!)

“Takes the Sh*t right out of your shirt”

• Clay says:

Your post is confusing. First you laud Price, saying that ‘Price is twice the goaltender Halak is’.
      However, you quickly change direction, and state that “If the team doesn’t play perfectly in front of their goaltender they don’t have a chance. ”
      Does that mean you don’t think Price is good?

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

• G-Man says:

Pre-game jitters.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The team has to play well in front of their goaltender, bottom line. Last year Halak had a horseshoe up his rear end and was darn lucky for a couple weeks.

Price doesn’t have to count on luck. He will play steady and solid 95% of the time, which makes him a very good goaltender.

If the team doesn’t play well in front of their goaltender, it all means nothing. Unless you’re real lucky like Halak was for a stretch last year.

• G-Man says:

Funny how you dismiss last season’s team effort because it was Halak in nets. Great goaltending, timely scoring and grit when it counted. So far this playoffs, the timely scoring and grit are lacking.

• Bugs says:

I don’t care if Price is THRICE the goalie Halak is; I just want him to WIN when it’s all on the line the way Halak did. That’s not too much to ask, is it? Especially not if he’s so much better than Halak…
      And to say “it’s not his job to steal games night after night”, what a load’o'bullspit. Guess what, Hobie? It wasn’t Patrick Roy’s “job” either, BUT HE DID IT ANYWAY. That’s what champions do. And that’s what Halak did to the best of his abilities last year.
      So if the Kid’s abilities are “twice” those of Halak…let’s see’em become elevated. Yes, he’s playing great. Level all the way. No complaints.
      But no magic either.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

So in trying to install my gravatar, my little picture happens to have the word shit in it. When i try set G rating, a red x appears below, I am guessing this is what is stopping from working eh

46. Chuck says:

As they say, one game at a time….

Testing Avatar

48. Sal says:

Two things. first, the NHL, promoters of Goon hockey as cynical way to sell hockey to ignorant Americans, by that I mean, Americans ignorant on the finer points of hockey, dropped the ball again by NOT suspending Philly’s Richards for his brutal hit on Buffalo’s Tim Conally. I have no love for Buffalo, but, seriously, what gives here? The conflict of interst league, with Campbell as it’s head discipliarian is a joke! Where’s the players union? Sorry, that’s a good one, eh?! Until they form a “commitee” to deal with suspensions, they are “Bush”, compared to all other proffesional sports leagues. In what other league can a player flip the bird to an entire arena, in a Nationally televised game, with video replay to back it up, give a BS excuse, and not be suspended? I rest my case!

Secondly. For me, key to this series has boiled done to which team has actually had the best scoring chances. I think it’s fairly obvious that the Habs are the better team in this regard. However, Habs have let the Bruins off the hook by not finishing their chances. Cammy, Pleks, Gionta, in particular, (I leave Gomez out for obvious reasons)have consistently NOT buried their chances in this series. They all had amazing chances in game 5. Others have stepped up, which is necessary for any team to succeed. I know it’s easier said than done, but, these guys are the leaders of this team for a reason. However, by not finishing, they allow the Bruins to hang around until they get another ugly, look what I found bounce right onto my stick, with an open net goal. Both Bruin game 5 goals were of this category.

Habs are the better, faster, more skilled team. It’s frustrating watch floppy Thomas get away with the crap he does. Bring the A offensive game, the Bruins have no answer for that.
    Sal from the Hammer

49. SnowManHabs85 says:

This series would have been over in 6 games if Markov, Gorges, Max were in the line up or if Pouliot and AK takes control offensively. I just hope Habs won’t give the Bruins space to make decisions because it cost us at least 2 games by now if they were to take that space.

• Habitoban says:

In fairnessto Benny, it’s kinda hard to do much offensively when your total ice time during the entire playoffs is just over 18 minutes.

• habitual says:

In fairness to the team, kinda hard to justify ice time to someone who repeatedly takes dumb penalties in the playoffs.

I wish he would realize his potential, but fear he will be one of those talented but not mentally strong players who is out of the league after 5 years.

50. Mr.Hazard says:

Thanks Hickey, didn’t realize this:
    “Richards dodges suspension again: The NHL dropped the ball again when it decided not to suspend Philadelphia’s Mike Richards for driving Tim Connolly’s head into the glass Sunday. It sure looked like the kind of hit the league is trying to take out of the game, but the NHL may have taken its cue from Flyers chairman Ed Snider, who said it didn’t rate a suspension. Snider also heads Comcast/NBC which recently signed a $2-billion television deal with the NHL.”

51. RetroMikey says:

Winners don’t quit. Look at Chicago who lost key players from last season’s Stanley Cup championship team and key injuries in the playoffs but are still giving Vancouver a run in the playoffs, I love it!
    Winners have what it takes to come back and not choke from a 2-0 series lead and win the series.
    But are our Montreal Canadiens winners?
    Or will they be considered losers if they lose the series and another playoff disappointment?
    IMO, we won’t be the same team next year, we’re going to have to rebuild…oops re-tool this team back to square one and hope and pray some miracle season after season we can make the playoffs and do wonders.
    Great to see Buffalo with no name superstars doing great against Philly as well!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Timo says:

I believe you have to win something (like a Stanley cup say) to be called a winner. As far as I remember the glorious les Canadiens haven’t won anything in a looooong time. If they lose this series after having a 2-0 lead not only they are losers, they are also major chockers a-la Boston last year, or hopefully Vancouver this year.

• Jonson says:

its not like montreal outplayed boston in the first two games in boston. and we lost 2 overtime games. there is no choking on their part this year. its a pretty decent series, and goaltending will win or lose it for either team. lets hope that ryder doesnt light the lamp a couple times tonight and we will be okay. and to be honest i enjoy when the canadiens are up against the wall it usually brings the best out of them.

• RetroMikey says:

Timo, you took the words right out of my mouth. I agree.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Mark C says:

Buffalo has no name superstars? Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, and Tyler Myers aren’t superstars? Weren’t you the one that said Montreal should have traded Subban while is value was still high? If so, I guess this makes sense.

• joshua94k says:

Chicago hasn’t won anything yet. They could have the distinction of being eliminated in the 1st round after winning the Cup last year. They made the play-offs on the hope of another team losing on the last game of the season.

If recent Cup wins are are a criteria for winners, what are the Carolina Hurricanes and Anaheim Ducks ?

Montreal deserves a lot of credit for making the play-offs without their top two defencemen gone for the 2nd half of the season. They lost their best two-way forward, MAx Paccioretty, they were without Mike Cammalleri for many games in the second half of the season. At one point they were without 5 top defencemen. They had to call up several players from their farm team to compete. The so-called experts (Red Fisher, HNIC, TSN, Globe and Mail) said Montreal would be lucky to win a game in this years play-offs with their injuries. They have competed every game and tonight they may play game 6 without Wisniewski, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Gorges and Markov.

They are winners for giving a strong effort and not folding like Dallas, New Jersey Calgary etc.

• wesley.ryan says:

Im not sure a rebuild is really the solution. Next year I imagine a D with, Gorges, Markov, Subban, Wiz, Gill and Weber, Thats pretty solid, And if MaxPac can come back and play like he did this year, Gionta can be good for another 30 goals, Eller continues to develop, Pleks just keeps on, Desharnais plays his heart out every game, And Price plays like he can, I’d say we have a pretty good team on our hands. I know we’re supposed to be a classy team, but, we need to demote Gomez, theres no way around this. He can Captain the Bulldogs to end his career, and thats probably a good place for him.

• Willy says:

You strike me as someone who is never happy with anything. A heavy underdog like the Habs who have pushed Boston in every single game and outplaying them for the majority of the series, and you are essentially already calling them losers? A few lucky bounces or Boston not getting the lucky OT bounces and the Habs very well could have won this series 4-1. I haven’t seen any signs of the Habs quiting.

• MontrealAtheist says:

It’s funny how some people can blame the Bruins’ wins on “lucky bounces”.

I have news for you, these “lucky bounces” are not falling from the sky. They are the result of a solid offense and by creating lots of traffic in front of the goalie and lastly by properly executing and capitalizing on these chances.

When a team does not do any of the above, then they usually end up on the losing side.

52. Jonson says:

Ill be honest, after taking the 2 games in boston my gut was telling me that montreal would lose the next four games…. i sometimes have to realize that im not the one playing. If the canadiens want to win they will win, if they dont play they wont win. No pressure on my shoulders. As for tonight i believe……drum roll……that i have no idea what is gonna happen. Win or Lose there are a lot of things to look foward to in the future. With guys like PK price Patches weber eller DD i believe we will win the cup in the near future. Maybe we should all turn the tv off tonight and prepare for the wednesday game lol. This series has been pretty interesting i really like the way montreal have played. Our problem is Ryder! i could sense in the first 2 games that he was gonna be the most dangerous guy for the bruins….i was hoping i would be wrong. AS for GOMEZ!!!! (sorry Ian) one good game in boston and thats it for him. He is still a bum!! i really doubt they will have him back next year.
    anyways to all a good game!! lets hope for the best

Hey can someone repost the instructions on putting an avatar on the profile. GOing to finally give this a try. Thanks

54. Mattyleg says:

For those who may have missed it last night, a very interesting article on the BBC on ‘choking’.

Vancouer might like to read it…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. punkster says:

Game on and every effort must be made to put the hex on Tim Tom, including “Witchcraft”:

Those Habs are in my hair
    That sly shot I can’t snare
    That strips my confidence bare
    It’s witchcraft

And I’ve got no defence for it
    The heat is too intense for it
    What good would good offence for it do.

‘Cause it’s witchcraft, wicked witchcraft
    And although, I know, it’s strictly taboo

When they expose the holes in me
    I give up far more goals you see
    And then they steal my soul from me too

It’s such an ancient pitch
    But one I just can’t switch
    ‘Cause I’m their target bitch, boo hoo.

The Chairman of the Board said it best:

***Subbang Baby!!!***

56. G-Man says:

The Habs have crapped the bed the last 3 games. Now that their backs are up against the wall, will we see the team that we grew to love last spring?
    I, for one, am planning to watch game 7 tomorrow night.
    GO HABS GO!

• blu3chip says:

The Canucks crapped their bed, not our Habs. All three games were one goal games which could have gone either way.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Seriously? Two games to OT is crapping the bed?

• G-Man says:

When you don’t bury all those chances in the playoffs, you are crapping the bed. It’s the difference between winning and losing.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think that’s a pretty harsh judgment, but they certainly missed golden opportunities. The fact that they generated the chances though means something, and it doesn’t mean the standard crapping the bed to me.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Crapped the bed? They were possibly out played in game 5 and almost pulled it off. Aside from a slow start in game 3, they dominated the Bruins and were on the bad end of a bunch of unlucky bounces.

Have some faith!

• Timo says:

When will people get it through their heads that last spring was a fluke + Halak? Price hasn’t played badly but he hasn’t been Halak like either. The rest of the team is the same crap shoot that we witnessed last years playoffs… only this time they don’t have a goalie who can bail them out (although, once again, this is not Price’s fault that we are trailing in this series)

• joshua94k says:

You can never win a best of seven series by a fluke. A one game deal like the 1980 US Olympic win over the Soviets may be called a fluke.

I am sensing another extremely productive day at work today! When will we find out who is in for DD if indeed TSN’s report from RDS is correct.

58. joshua94k says:

It’s payback time….

Max Pacioretty’s career was almost finished due to an attempt to injure and reckless play by Zedno Chara.

Mark Recchi insulted the ingegrity of the Canadiens medical staff by claiming they embellished the seriousness of Pacioretty’s injury.

Bruins Ference gives an obscene gesture to the Montreal crowd by giving them the finger

A Bruins reporter writes this sbout P.K. Subban…

This kid is a punk, a whiner and a diver, …. Don’t be surprised if he’s an All-Star next season, assuming he keeps his head screwed on straight — which, come to think of it, could be assuming a lot.

Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald writes that the Canadiens are boring and don’t deserve to advance.

The Canadiens are a class organization. They don’t retort to cheap shots for retaliation. They will beat Boston on ice and send them home. That is the best form of payback.

59. DrA says:

Recent elimination games record:
    Bruins: 0-4
    Habs: 5-1

I think this is the only stat that counts tonight.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Only if we still had Jaro Halak!!! Price will never be as good as Halak!!! Price can’t win in the Centre Bell!!! Price told everyone to chill after he was booed in the pre-season!!! Who does this punk think he is???

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!

Price is god and don’t forget it!!!! He will prove it tonight and all those Halak cry babies can go buy a St. Louis Blues jersey, if they can find one!

GO HABS GO!!!

It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammalleri

• G-Man says:

Price is god? Get a grip!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry your Leafs are teeing off somewhere at this moment G-Man…

Price may have not won anything yet but nothing good comes out of grumbling over split milk. This isn’t the old NHL that you grew up watching, there’s 30 teams now!

GO HABS GO

• G-Man says:

I’ve been following the Habs for 50 years, kiddo. Price is not the be all and end all. He hasn’t won anything in Montreal yet.

• el heffe says:

you had me going there…i read the first paragraph and started foaming at the mouth. nice

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• joshua94k says:

Can you send that stat to CBC. All the stats they seem to show are about Carey Price’s home play-off record or positives of the Bruins.

60. puck face says:

lemonade is no joke !

61. arcosenate says:

Um, I guess Habsfan72 won’t be watching tonight, probably moving on to more important things since we’ve been done since game 4. I fully expect a game 7 and a lot of very disappointed Bruins fans. Go Habs!!

• Ton says:

I read his posts; to expect a sweep in favor of the habs was a stretch. In fact this very difficult series for boston has a put in dent in their hopes to win a cup! Posters often lose perspective on this site

62. JF says:

If the Habs lose tonight, they can look back at Game 3 as the turning point in the series, the point when they took their foot off the pedal. That, and not Game 4, was the crucial one to win, and they failed to show up. It’s a pattern we saw all season. Every time they had a chance to consolidate their position or move up in the standings, they gave a half-hearted effort. During the season, such games can be shrugged off, but in the playoffs they can be crucial. Had we won Game 3, the Bruins would have had a hard time sustaining any belief they could win the series, and it would likely be over by now.

I think this is the difference between a good team and an elite team. An elite team might lose a crucial game, but they wouldn’t fail to show up. We have a ways to go to reach that point, but I hope that, even if we’re eliminated tonight, this series will provide a lesson which the team can carry over into next season.

• twocents says:

What does hindsight say if we win tonight?

• JF says:

Whatever happens tonight, I still think Game 3 was crucial, and our performance or lack of it in that game (at least the first half) is a good measuring stick of where the team is at.

• twocents says:

So, even if we win the series in 7, game 3 is still “the turning point” in your mind?

• MontrealAtheist says:

100% agreed. Games 4 and 5 were relatively close, but for game 3 our boys did not even bother showing up until it was too late.

They played like a team that was up 2-0 in the series and thought that the job was already done or that the Bruins would collapse by themselves.

• habfan01 says:

A win tonight doesn’t mean shit if they don’t win tomorrow

• Old Bald Bird says:

Also though, part of being elite means that you can play at something less than 100% efficiency and still win. Contrary to popular opinion, the Old Habs did that — quite often as a matter of fact. These Habs can play really well, but they have to be at 100%, which can’t be done all of the time.

• JF says:

I agree it can’t be done all the time, but it needs to be done – or at least the effort needs to be there – in crucial games. After Game 2, the Habs talked about remaining focused, not taking their foot off the pedal, not relaxing, etc., but when they hit the ice, they couldn’t do it. The situation was similar during the season when they faced lower-seeded teams; for all their talk about taking the opponent seriously and coming out hard, they more often than not failed to do it. I guess what I’m saying is that elite teams have a mindset that the Habs haven’t attained yet.

• twocents says:

When they hit game 3, they were facing a team that knew if they didn’t win they were done. A team that previously had underestimated their opponent and believed they had a an intimidating edge over them, only to find it had evaporated. When they hit game 3 they were washed in the sounds and expectations of their home fans, wanting desperately to please them and put on a good show. When they hit game 3, they suddenly found themselves being described as the favourites after defining themselves as underdogs.

No one has been, or is, mistaking this team for an elite one. The fact is there does not exist an elite team in the current roster of NHL teams, just look to our west for proof. And that more than anything means this team, or any other, need not resign itself to anything less than it can convince themselves of.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Excellent post. I think we tend to forget that there is another good team that does have something to say about how the game goes.

• JF says:

All of that is true, but I don’t think it negates my main point, which is that the Habs, by their own admission, were not ready for Game 3.

• joshua94k says:

I guess you mean the Canadiens have not yet reached the mindest of elite teams like the Vancouver Canucks, Philadelphia Flyers or Washington Capitals. The last time these teams won the Satnley Cup was …..

• avatar_58 says:

Didn’t show up to game 5 either, until they FINALLY scored sending it to OT. Had they actually, you know, played from the puck drop that game might have gone differently.

63. Tony McLean says:

If the offense – especially the power play – doesn’t reappear…

64. WindsorHab-10 says:

I already told Mike Boone that he’ll be travelling to Boston for game 7.

65. matraque says:

Bugs mentioned it, but i want to say it as well. Price has it all this season. He’s been great and sometimes, amazing. But he’s lacking the magic, so far…

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

• Hobie Hansen says:

Price is better than magic! Sure it would be nice if he had a horseshoe up his rear end like Halak did last year. Except with Price, you know what you’re getting, one of the best in the NHL, 95% of the time.
      I leave the other 5% for the occasional stinker! Some goalies have a stinker 25% of the time but with Price it rarely happens.
      If the Habs play well they know they can count on Price. No magic needed!

66. pmaraw says:

well the nhl has made it rather clear, if you smash someones face off the glass, its part pf the game.

67. Hobie Hansen says:

So here we go again boys! What I’ll be looking for most tonight is how we play in our own end. We need big Hal Gill and company stepping in front of shots like it was going out of style.

I sense one of those 2-1 games coming where Montreal is outshot 40-25 and pull off a victory. Gionta, Plekanec or Cammalleri are going to snipe a key goal or two, moments after Carey price turns away a barrage of shots!

2-1 victory for the Habs tonight boys! I can feel it in my bones!

68. Marc10 says:

I didn’t think we’d tie it up last game and Halpern, Darche and Eller got it done.

Despite Boston dominating the play for much of the game, it was the Habs that got the better chances. So much so, they should have won in regulation.

I think we’ll win the next 2. Timmy Thomas only has so much luck left. He over commits and relies on his D to clean up. All the boys need to do is shoot for the pads and look for the rebounds.

We just need the crowd to stick with it all the way to the end and pile on the energy.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• ths says:

Definite book on him there. Gionta had a goal on his stick just hold on a few secs more as you move across.
      As you say shoot low from far for juicy rebound or wait an extra sec close in and roof daddy. These are simple skills anyone making over 2 million should be a master of.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

69. TPlow says:

Habs win tonight. It’s our turn, baby!

70. DD says:

Colon Campbell, Buttman’s top henchman and broons/goons advocate and apologist. Chris Lee, myopic Hab hater and incompetent failure reffing game 6. Ed Snider, part and parcel of the NBC deal, calling for no suspension on Bitchard’s dastardly and ugly hit on a player with a history of head trauma……. Looks like we got the makings of a pretty good Conspiracy Theory episode!

These clowns have turned the NHL into a joke.

71. The Cat says:

The last paragraph of Hickeys’ very good article:

I dont see a conflict of interest here at all…

72. habs365 says:

as long as they come to play 60 minutes–they’re as good as Boston and with the best pressure Goalie in the league–we should win it…..

• Bugs says:

Disagree.
      45 minutes and we”re twice as good as Boston.
      …as good as…you hear this guy?

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• Clay says:

“the best pressure Goalie in the league”
      Man, the cult of Price rears its ugly head again.
      All due respect here to you and Price, but being called “the best pressure Goalie in the league” is a title that has to be earned by winning (hopefully) games like the next 2 coming up here, and many more like it. You are just throwing that distinction around like Price can earn it by having one good regular season.
      Delusional.

__________________________

73. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

They’ll win tonight and the next because I want my rum.

On a side note, Stephen Brunt is a great sports writer. Glad he writes in Canada.

____________________________________________________
    Win 2 for the Liquor Pig!

74. The Cat says:

Why worry? I keep reading on here that Price is vastly superior to Thomas and Halak, games 6 and 7 should be a cakewalk.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

He’s definitely been the better of the three this playoff anyway.

I want a win, but a well played close game is all we can ask for right?

____________________________________________________
      Win 2 for the Liquor Pig!

• Bill J says:

“You keep reading” ? Cat you’re so full of it.

Yesterday you stated that Thomas was better then Price.

I and a few others refuted your ridiculous claim. And now it’s “I keep reading on here”

Was this all some bait ? So If & when Price does not win the Stanley Cup this year, you will come here to troll about how we where wrong ?

Otherwise, please explain yourself.

• Bugs says:

Seems the Kid has it all except Magic.
      Last year was magic. Our last two Cups were magic.
      As good as the Priceberg is, he now needs to conjure up some.
      Like Halak did.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• Old Bald Bird says:

While TT has his strong points, I don’t think too many of us would want to switch goalies tonight.

• Bill J says:

Truly the best analogy I’ve heard when comparing the two goaltenders – well done.

TT wearing the CH = no chance in hell of making the playoffs.

Speaks volumes to the value of each goaltender.

• Clay says:

Really? No one here would take the likely Vezina winner who just set the regular season record for save %?

__________________________

• Old Bald Bird says:

Since I said “too many,” I don’t know about “no one.” I wouldn’t and Bill J wouldn’t. Are you saying you would do the switch tonight? Enquiring minds want to know.

• Clay says:

I would at least think long and hard about it, but I’m not sure. I’ve watched all but maybe 6 Habs games this year, yet have only seen the B’s when they played the Habs. I am in no position to judge Thomas on seeing only those games. But whether I would or not is irrelevant.
            The point is that shite like the following – “the best pressure Goalie in the league”- (as seen above) is just delusional. Let’s let Price actually earn his own reputation in the playoffs instead of anointing him as either savior or bust – or somewhere in between. This is where he earns it – in elimination games. Here’s hoping this is the beginning of the Price we all want to see, because the pressure is on.

__________________________

• Mark C says:

In fairness, most fans in Boston preferred Rask over Thomas until recently. I also think the save % record is a tab overrated. Thomas has led the league in two out of the last three years, the one year he didn’t lead the league his rookie back-up did. Three years ago Manny Fernanadez had a .928 SV% there before washing up. In 2008 Alex Auld put up a .919 SV% to help Boston make the playoffs. No matter who the goalie is, in Boston SV% have been suspiciously high the last few years.

75. HabFanSince72 says:

When it was 2-1, I said I wouldn’t be surprised if the B’s won the next 3.

At 2-2, I said we were done like dinner. We had just given up two home games that were handed to us on a platter.

And we are done, unfortunately. Psychologically the team has known they were beat since then. The reality of game 5 is we were never in it until OT. For most of the game it was the Bs who seemed unable to accept the gift we were giving them.

I hate to say it but I think it ends tonight.

76. Clay says:

I’m not sure why you can’t at least show respect for Thomas. He plays for Boston, yes, but seems like a genuinely nice guy, and is a good goalie. He is an opponent, not an enemy.

__________________________

It’s true, he’s been lucky that he’s been playing against the likes of Gomez, Gionta, Pleks et Co. who at best are good for a goal a game. Having guys like Moen, Pouliot, and pretty much the rest of the Habs stone hands crew has also helped Floppy.

78. Sal says:

Dude, I love your mr. floppy description, used it in my own post.

Sal from the Hammer

79. wd40 says:

Thomas is the probably the nicest, classiest Bruin.

80. Willy says:

He’s probably the only one i can stand on that team. However his floppy, throw his body around style is awful on the eyes. Admittedly it does work for him but it’s an eye sore. Much like it was an eye sore when Hasek was doing it.

81. SnowManHabs85 says:

And yet I can’t stand him smiling after making a save on our Habs.

82. Dennis says:

Thomas also shunned Carey Price at the all-star game. I watched on TV Price trying to have a small conversation with him and Thomas wanted no part of it. So I’m not sure if he’s the nicest Bruin or not. Maybe he is. Maybe he wasn’t in the mood. Or maybe he’s a rotten %$%#^&

When I’m owner/stickboy, things will be different.

83. SmartDog says:

Once they got rid of that 6’2″ pest Pacioretty (sp) things got a lot easier for Mr. Floppy and the Bruins. No wonder he’s smiling.

84. habsindepth says:

considering Patches was one of the best Hab against the Bruins this year, yah, things did get easier for Timmy. But we have seen him, he is shaky. Habs need to constantly attack and shoot at him! That’s the big problem with Montreal, they take a one goal lead and just sit back thinking the other team is going to roll over and die.

===================================