Finally, a W

• The Hickey licence plate saga

Desperate Canadiens keep despair at bay – Roy MacGregor

Flyers talk, Habs walk – David Shoalts

Dominic Moore fits a team built for speed – Damien Cox

In the blink of an eye … a series – Scott Burnside

Habs right at home – Brian Cazeneuve in SI

And a TGIF mash-up of Pittsburgh series footage from Quebec City Habs fan Kevin Morin

pBe4DMQzRN8

1. MontrealAtheist says:

I think he is saying that the Habs could not possibly be 10-0 in elimination games since they only faced 5 elimination games so far.

I’m not sure what you would consider a “must win” game in the regular season but memory serves me right there weren’t any per se since a lot also depended on the outcome of other games beyond our control.

2. Max_a_million says:

you are correct!

3. NL_habs_fan says:

If they end up fourth they have a better pick (27th pick) than if they end up 3rd (28th pick)

4. SlovakHab says:

Hey, what about Jaromir Dragan and Eduard Hartmann?

B.Burke is building the Bruins through the draft.

5. SlovakHab says:

Dustin Byfuglien!

6. MontrealAtheist says:

“In a year where MOST of you didn’t hink we would make the playoffs.”

Let’s face it, the fact that we made the playoffs with the number of points we had was very lucky and hardly the result of some genius management. In the West, we wouldn’t even be near the 8th place with our points and even in our conference, if the Rangers had obtained just a single point more we’d be out as well.

Having said this, it is what it is and we are certainly kicking some $#! in the playoffs right now … GO HABS GO !!!

7. crabvader says:

The team that finished higher in the standings will always have home ice advantage regardless of who takes the series in X amount of games.

Chicago had more points during the season, meaning they would have home ice.

8. HabFanSince72 says:

5 + 5 = 10

9. dh says:

About playing Chicago or not knowing how home ice is determined?

10. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

It is a stupid rule.  How is icing any less of a “delay of game” than throwing the puck over the boards?  At least the puck over the boards is mostly unintentional — especially now.  Icing is often intentional.

I hope JM doesn’t healthy scratch him again.  How is he supposed to be effective with 94 seconds of ice time after missing a bunch of games?

“Gionta goes into a corner with a guy who’s 6’4″ and comes out with the puck. Who’s the bigger guy?” – Cammy

11. OneTimer says:

We definitely shouldn’t give up on him after a mediocre regular season. The guy can play. I’m glad Yappy is on the team

12. BoomBoom says:

Me too..I am really impressed with Moore. I’d try to sign him for 2 years at least. I would also bring back Darche at the league minimum, good guy in the room, decent size and works hard.  As for the rest of the UFAs, we need the cap space and could probably add some size upfront. WOuld love to see the Pyatt bros replace the K bros as the Habs bro-combo. Taylor Pyatt is 6.4 225 and the Pyatts (like the Staals) are from Thunder Bay..land of the tough guys!

13. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

The Craig Adams major & misconduct in game 2 was completely overlooked too.  I think I heard something about Hossa should have been suspended for the game that he scored the winning goal against Nashville, but I didn’t see it.

14. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

I understand the home ice for the finals part, but basically I was just curious about the draft part.

And I’m not liking Philly much here, so I’d rather they end up 4th than 3rd, but I’m not sure if that’s how the standings work.

15. Habhopeful says:

Meant to post this at the top of the page

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

16. Clay4bc says:

Surely you jest…

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

17. Say Ash says:

It’s always the team with more points, not like baseball, where they alternate every year.

18. C-Dawg says:

One thing that came to me last night. When was the last time we had a future star in this league, that came of age this deep in the playoffs?

Last night was Subban’s 12 NHL game, so he’s being groomed to think this is the norm. I’m sure you’d have to go back to the 70’s to find another Hab in Subban’s shoes. He’s been held back and groomed for greatness, and in a few seasons when he’s the Captain, he’ll take his team on that ride with him. Whatever happens this season, the future is bright with the kids on this team.

19. Slovak says:

All people in Slovakia are proud of him, he was the main reasons we got 4th place in Olympics, all players like Hossa, Gaborik, Satan, Chara, Visnosvsky, Demitra, Handzus etc. when interviewed for slovak media came to the same conclusion: “Finally after all those years, we have a goalie we can rely on.”

20. dh says:

But who gets home ice advantage when we play Chicago?

21. mike g says:

Simply put, not a chance.

In the 1st round, Chara literally jumped and attacked 2 Sabres players with less than 5 minutes left in the game. It was a gesture out of pure frustration, and according to the rulebook it should have resulted in an automatic 1 game suspension…

Result: nothing.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

22. Max_a_million says:

What if Matt Cooke and George Laracque made a baby?

By the way I am disturbed by this subject.

23. joeybarrie says:

1st place wins the Stanley Cup.

2nd-16th lost in the playoffs

17th-30th just lost…

Nothing else.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

24. Fansincebirth says:

Dammit, and my therapist said I was doing so well.

Back to the bottle to try and wash away that image :)

25. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

Just trying to figure out the standings here.

So if SJ loses both in Chicago and is out in four, and Montreal beats Philly in seven, will that mean that SJ will be 4th overall and Philly 3rd or does the regular season come into play here?

26. lavie says:

You make me so proud of him.

27. Off-side says:

Sadly, this is not the only site they bash Martin.  I’m DISGUSTED.

28. Say Ash says:

To me, Laps is what you get if Ruutu and Burrows made a baby.

29. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

I don’t think he’ll be back.  He skated like 15 minutes and winced the whole time.  This is supposed to be a psyche out.

Not like Philly isn’t known for rushing back players from injuries though.

30. Slovak says:

There is no other way, we have plenty of great players but only one great goaltender… Budaj – benched, Lasak from KHL or some others from sweden league – no match for Jaro…

31. notbigbird says:

JM obviously has strengths and deserves credit for those. I don’t think that many would add working with young players to that list. I really worry about what he will do with PK next year. Will he kill the kid’s initiative and spirit?

32. lavie says:

You guys should find a way of playing without Jaro. Jaro is not available then, sorry.

33. Fansincebirth says:

Nah, he ain’t no enforcer.

That’s a Grade A, 100%, pure shit disturber son and he’s awesome for doing it!

34. Fansincebirth says:

Is there any way that the league will review Hartnell’s goonery and hand out a suspension for instigating in the last 5 minutes?

35. lavie says:

Finally we have a “enforcer” — Lapierre.

36. Slovak says:

Beside the main topic, I know Canada is not interested in World Championship that much, but here are 10 reasons why attend on WC 2011 in Slovakia and for god sake win the damned cup this year, we need Jaro next year…:-)

37. lavie says:

His slapshot is exceptional.

From Wikipedia:

Near the end of game one of the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals, Bergeron tried to steer Carolina Hurricanes forward Andrew Ladd wide of the net, but the two of them piled into Oilers goaltender  Dwayne Roloson, causing him to be injured for the remainder of the Finals. Bergeron is well known for his impressive slapshot, not his defensive abilities…

His slapshot may not be a winning goal, but his defensive liability would cost us a game.

38. Max_a_million says:

I love Lapierre’s so scared he is shaking routine he did with his arms on the bench.

39. Max_a_million says:

That is why I referred to those two.  The rest are great, but they are spare parts that can be replaced without too much worry.

40. Instant Karma says:

The coaching has been good, but I’d rather give the credit to Muller and any bad decisions are JM’s fault, makes me sleep better at night.

41. joeybarrie says:

Honestly, 7 wins away from being the BEST team in the League, and our coach is terrible????? So stupid.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. Le Jadester says:

A couple thangs from the peanut gallery:

First Star Yesterday should have gone to “The Bell Center Supporters and Faithful”.  They gave Les Boys a shot of energy everytime somthing was happening.  Obviously that’s what was missing in Matches 1 and 2. No Offense to the Hammer, I still love the guy regardless of his roller coaster Playoffs this year. Great little Scrap though.

Lappy is Possessed !  I’d like to see what Ray Ferraro has to say about him now ? He’s on Fiyah and it seems like everyone is feeding of it.  Moore and Pyatt are too good right now as well……..Lappy’s just makin’ me laugh more. That smirk of his…….priceless !

If Gio woulda scored that 2nd goal on his break………it woulda had to have been a record for quickest consecutive goals.

Can’t believe Game 4 is in the afternoon………….especially during the Champions League Final.

Habs, OLE !

43. joeybarrie says:

We should sign Darche. He can still do well in the AHL. We need him to do so. If we ever need to bring him up again, we can. We would be better off with him.

I’m not sold that Mara can’t help us either. I would like to see him through another season without injury. But I think I mostly like him for his attitude.

Metro is a very good signing for 1 million. No better veteran in the NHL in that price range. Plus he is our 4th leading scorer this season. He has done as well as AK at less than 1/3rd the price and not even on the top line…

We gotta think about depth.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. habsman-itoba says:

Lapierre is my hero.

45. Clay4bc says:

It’s good to have a guy like Darsch arouind in case of injuries. He works hard and is cheap. Keep him on the ‘Dogs just in case.

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

46. Storm Man says:

Oh Yes what a game… Speed kills. I would say more but my ears are still ringing from the noise at the bell centre last night. can’t wait for Saturday when the Flyers fall apart.

47. Off-side says:

You are SO right.  I never thought about it that way.  Why are we so fast to judge?  We all should be ashamed of ourselves.

48. Off-side says:

I couldn’t agree more!  Leave the coach and the players alone, they brought us where we are.  If we win the Stanley Cup, I just can’t wait to hear what kind of bashing and complaining you all will do…

49. SLONCOLD says:

he’s rushing to come back. it will take some time for him to get into game shape. Just remember how it took gionta a few games to get back into it

50. joeybarrie says:

Lapierre, SK, Pouliot. Pyatt, Price and Halak are all RFA’s as of July 1st.

MAB, Mara, Pleks, Moore, Matro and Darche are all UFA’s as of July 1st.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. Max_a_million says:

I think only Plekanek and Moore are not signed or restricted going into next year.

Seems like a very good thing to me, especially when they will be adding that Markov guy.

Does anyone know how Guy is doing with Patches in Hamilton?

52. joeybarrie says:

We beat the Capitals. We beat the Penguins. We come back and beat the Flyers in last nights game 5-1. We have given ourselves a chance at going to the Stanley Cup Finals. In a year where MOST of you didn’t hink we would make the playoffs.

YET you are STILL bashing the coach and anything else you can. GET A GRIP ON REALITY.

Honestly, what is wrong with you guys?  Only an idiot would say JM has been coaching poorly. His team beat the BEST team in the league, and the current Stanley Cup Champs….

Especially when most of your insight, information and observances come from sitting on your couch half drunk.

How is it all the guys your were bashing at some point this year…..GOMEZ, GILL, MAB, OBYRNE, MOEN, LAPIERRE, MOORE, POULIOT, AK, HAMRLIK, PLEKANEC, CAMMALLERI, and the rest….Have come together to put us within 3 wins of the finals, but not because of the coach. They weren’t good enough ALL YEAR, but now they players are doing it despite the COACH. DO YOU KNOW HOW STUPID YOU SOUND???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. Max_a_million says:

I know the timing and price seemed excessive, but they really proved that they knew what they were doing with this guy.  He never takes a shift off, always working extremely hard, and he has made our third line a dandy.  I am loving Dominic Moore these days, what a catalyst.

54. coachdoug says:

JM is pulling rabbits out of his @ss since the end of the post season…Was not excited when we signed him…but credit goes where it is due…I think Muller is a big factor as well…

“The ‘System’ will not stop until it owns Lord Stanley’s Cup…All hail the System!”

55. Shublips says:

Yes, what a game! The Habs finally got back to THEIR game rather than playing into the Flyers’ game.

Continue to use your speed, boys, and the Flyers can’t keep up.

I just heard that Jeff Carter is supposed to be back next game. Honestly, who cares? If the Habs play the way they did last night then it doesn’t matter who is in the Flyers lineup!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

56. Max_a_million says:

Easy fellas.  MAB is playing his heart out.  He is about the lowest paid player on the roster, he transformed our power play this year into a very good one after it struggled early, and without him we wouldn’t have made the playoffs.  It’s not his fault Markov and Mara are hurt, or that the coach has no faith in O’Byrne.

I understand he makes mistakes, but it is not through a lack of effort.  How about we enjoy a nice win without finding a goat to bash.  The team won 5 to 1 for goodness sake.  He is one of the handful of guys with Gomez and Subban who moves the puck up the ice, which is very valuable as well.

Let’s be easy here.

I was one of the people that questioned the Dominic Moore acquisition. Well. I have my answer. Excellent move by PG.

58. Clay4bc says:

Good point – make that THREE things of note.

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

59. Max_a_million says:

They were under Pronger’s skin for sure.  He made some uncharacterits mistakes with the habs buzzing around him.  I wonder how this will play into game 4.

Nice to seeing Lapierre, Moore, and Pyatt playing big.  We will need that.

I think Mike Cammelleir was the best player on the ice last night.  He set up some beauties that Kostitsyn and Plekanek didn’t finish, got the first goal which was huge, and doubel shifted on the fourth line with Moen and Metropolit.  he was everywhere.

Good on Price for being supportive and helpful to Halak.  Great kid, deserves to not be bashed.

60. SLONCOLD says:

i wouldn’t call it an easy night but then again it wasn’t 50 shot night either lol

he made some key saves when he had too. Lets hope for another great team effort on saturday

61. Clay4bc says:

Two things of note…

1) That was our first win of the playoffs when we outshot the opponent.

2) That was also the first win where Jaroslav Halak did not get a star in the game (correct me if I am wrong). I for one was happy to see the team give Jaro an easy night. Not that he didn’t play an excellent game – he did! – but he didn’t have to be spectacular. Nice to see.

3 more games like that will see us in the finals.

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

62. lavie says:

The weakest link of this team: MAB!

63. lavie says:

This team does show Speed and Skills.

64. lavie says:

Even after two shotouts, from his body language and facial expressions, Leighton still has no self-confidence.

So after last night’s game, Leighton is back.

65. SLONCOLD says:

best 60 minutes i’ve seen them play so far. Did leighton look lost or what last nigth? that is why he is usually on waivers… keep it up boys and bring it hard on saturday

And good on halak for punching richards

66. joshua94k says:

Excuse of the year:

Chris Pronger was on the ice for the first four Habs goals. He also flubbed a pass, resulting in a turnover that helped give the Canadiens their second goal. “It hit some snow,” Pronger said of his errant pass.

HAHAHAHA!

67. Bob Barker says:

Speed kills. The forecheck was great last night forcing the Flyers D to rush their decisions. Halak was back to being the dominant goaltender we’ve seen this playoffs making key saves at key moments. AK46 will eventually start to bury goals in bunches. He’s had a lot of chances the last two games. Pouliot looked pretty good next to Gomez and Gionta. I think he’s starting to bounce back.

Moore, Lapierre and Pyatt were great last night and played their role to perfection.

That video is great. I like the music.

68. HabFanSince72 says:

By the way.

Anyone who thinks our coaching is bad should seriously consider switching sports to watch. I hear basketball can be entertaining.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

Interesting stat.

In their last ten must-win games, going back to the regular season, both the Habs and Flyers are 10-0 (well of course or else we wouldn’t be here).

The Flyers kept on coming even at 4-0 down. They are going to be a lot tougher to play against on Saturday. Let’s just hope Leighton has permanently come back down to his natural level.

70. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I am totally loving Max LaPierre’s mouthiness! I started a FB group to get him mic’d for a game. Feel free to join..the more people the better!

71. Fansincebirth says:

I’m watching Canadien Express and I have a good feeling about this game :o)

God, that place was rocking.

From the opening whistle, this game was never in doubt. Unlike the first two games, we were hungry and confident.

Cannot believe that O’B was benched for that penalty. Poor coaching decision, IMHO.

Funny listening to the Flyers saying “next game we will be better”. Sounds very familiar. I remember Caps and Pens saying the exact same.

I said the other day that I believed Philly were playing their best but we still hadn’t played ours….yet. Last night, we were back in form and the Flyers don’t have another gear to shift into.

Laps – Love you playing like that. Montreal’s best teams have always had a shit disturber and we play our best games when he’s doing his thang.

MAB…..Loved the goal but please, have a seat.

Loved the heart, loved the drive, loved the crowd and energy they gave our guys.

Game on mofo’s, game on!

72. marshx says:

Our speed was incredible last night! Keep up that kind of play boys!!

Nice video btw.

73. joshua94k says:

The Canadiens have solved how to handle Pronger.

From Red Fisher:

“He came into the game with an average of 28:53 in his 14 games – and it showed. He looked tired. There were moments when the Canadiens’ speed appeared too much for him. He has been a wall for the Flyers throughout the playoffs, and still put in 26:49 last night – but they seemed to be difficult minutes.”

74. sCOTT1243 says:

Now that was better!  Everyone hustling, hitting, getting to the net, they play like this Philly has no chance.

Couple other points:

MAB – goal overshadows his brutal giveaways and lack of strength on D.  Oh well we won.

OB – poor guy, gets a chance and blows it…stupid rule, I hate it, he didn’t deserve to get benched.

Pouliot – better effort last night, you managed to stay on your feet.  This guy has a ton of potential, I say get him back in rotation with Gionta and Gomez.

Laps – invisible all year and now breaks out of his shell!  I don’t mind the BS he is pulling but we do not need another Avery on this team.  What I don’t like is when he shakes his gloves like he is going to drop them, one day someone will drop the gloves and knock him silly.  Keep hustling Laps you may have earned a spot on the team next year.

Anyway, awesome game, way to go Cammy getting the ball rolling, Halak, keep it up!