Finally, a hockey game

3547438

The Canadiens return to action Friday night in a suburb of the nation’s capital.
After the team’s early-season sabbatical, don’t expect a great first period.

Stats note: If Carey Price wins his 103rd regular-season game tonight, he will tie Georges Vézina, the guy for whom the trophy is named.

And how about those high-flying Leafs? First in the NHL … and Edmonton is third.

Daniel F. won’t play

Gorges fears Ottawa PP

Canadiens’ salaries per minute played

Looking back at 2001-’02 season

Rinne hits jackpot on his 29th birthday

Clutterbuck misses Max, hits official

1. Nitroslices says:

Anybody saving Gomezmemorabilia???

2. The HonestFan says:

I was “you tubing” when the habs had push back roberge,Nilan,kordic,Corson,thorton

3. Mick says:

Gomezmerizing!!

Ha ha ha ha….Ha ha ha…

What?

4. NCRhabsfan says:

While it’s not a bad thing for the Habs that Alfredson will not be able to play tonight, the NHL once again proved that it has no interest whatsoever in the health of its players with the disciplinary decision on Wolski. There is no question that the elbow he delivered to Alfredson’s head, completely away from the play and while Alfredson was looking the other way, was deliberate. It was a complete BS hockey play. The NHL’s decision to once again turn a blind eye and try and pretend it was an accident bears witness to their complete and total lack of concern over the health of the players. Sooner or later someone will be killed, and when that happens I hope the family sues the NHL out of existence for their complete disregard for safety. In the meantime, if you are a star player, it’s open season out there.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Prof objects to honorary degree for Don Cherry:

I only clicked on the link because I was wondering what kind of college would grant an obnoxious illiterate an honorary degree.

And now I know.

So the French Professor at the Military College is questioning, gee I wonder if Cherry will sound off on that. I give the prof. credit for being logical, but given it is a Military College, I am not sure anyone there is going to listen.

• Bugs says:

What if we start raggin on the Queen for being implicated in the murders of Mohawk children, think Cherry will sound off on that?
        Or am I way outta line here?

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• DearyLeary says:

And Canada’s great shame continues.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Maybe the headline should read, “Canadian Forces Kiss Don Cherry’s *ss”. Could they suck up any more? I understand why the Prof would be miffed; there is now a degree from their institution that bears Don Cherry’s name. If you’re a graduate of RMC, your degree just lost a little of its lustre.

• VancouverHab says:

You may plausibly argue that Don Cherry is obnoxious, but he is very far from illiterate : he is to the contrary deeply read, a public fact.

Why, I often ask, is it increasing common to find criticisms of a foe that take the maxim “any stick to beat a dog with.” It is, you know, possible to find a person objectionable without having to believe that he is universally deficient.

6. punkster says:

Bear with me. Just reflecting on the ongoing Gomez stuff or as I have come to know it, the Gomezerisation™ of this site. Seems every thread has someone Gomerizing™ over how we would perform if we were Gomezless™. Dozens of Gomezian™ suggestions for line combos and hundreds of tantalizing Gomezery™ trade wishes. The Gomezalating™ just continues to fill these pages with a Gomezygoo™ of Gomezulations™. Gomezaphobia™ rules the day!

Puts me in mind of a concert I saw in the early 70s, Miles Davis at O’Keefe Centre in Toronto. Some spaced out dude in the front row kept jumping up and shouting “rock and roll” throughout the first set. (No, I was about 10 rows back, admittedly in a rather spacey condition myself but too distracted by the reflections Miles horn was making on the ceiling of the hall to…oh, but I digress…).

Anywho, point being, distractions like that can be darned annoying in the moment but in hindsight the whole spaced out dude thing kind of stuck in my mind as a rather humorous and memorable moment in what turned out to be an extremely enjoyable event.

So please, continue Gomezinating. I mean, if we can’t Gomezerate™ among yourselves, true blue Habs fans, who can we Gomezerate™ with?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. kempie says:

Still no Gomez I guess huh? Interesting.

8. sane hockey fan says:

Pierre Lebrun on Price’s value after the Rinne Deal

hmmmm sounds like Rinne’s contract will indeed have an impact on Price’s contract as a few of us posted yesterday. Yes we knew Price is still an RFA and that Rinne was about to become UFA, but they are two of the best goalies in the league. And therefore the barometer is raised for Price.

I like to think Price is enjoying being a Hab, and will want to remain one. I like to think Price recognizes that the bigger the contract he demands/gets the less to spend on other players.

I also know that Price has an agent, and few agents care about anything excpept maximizing the commission they earn. Agents are saleseman, as a person who works and lives based on 100% commission, it doesn’t make sense for me to sell my best product at below market value.

Rinne has increased the market value of goatenders.

• J_P says:

Yeah Nashville really just stuck it to us… Hopefully price realizes that the more cap space he eats up personally, the less competitive our team will be. Even if he takes $500K less than “market value”, it still helps a lot.

Also, anyone else agree that Ryan Suter is not a 6.5M-7M dollar defensemen? Lebrun was throwing out those figures. I would never pay Suter that kind of money unless they know they are losing Weber 100% (which they probably are), and even then I think its a real stretch.

Considering Nashville’s draft record, I would take the kings ransom they can certainly get for Weber and run with it.

Weber is RFA one more year (I think) but perception is they can get Suter for less than Weber, I would expect they trade Weber to fill their warchest with more young cheap talent. Nashville’s model the past years has not included having 3 high paid players.

I can just see it now, Burke makes a deal with Nahsville for Weber and part of the price he pays is Franson and a Healthy Lombardi whom Nashville gave him.

• J_P says:

Nah, David Poile is a really solid GM in my opinion. If he has to trade Weber i am certain he will get a kings ransom. Nashville is a good organization, I just get the sense that Weber wants to be in a real hockey market, and probably in Canada. I dont know if Toronto would has the chips to make a deal for Weber.

I can imagine Poile will get a first round pick (+ 2nd or third rounder if its a low first round pick), a good young nhl forward, a good young NHL defenseman, and a forward or defense prospect for weber.

• Malreg says:

I haven’t seen Nashville play enough to form an educated opinion, but after last season, there were a lot of people saying that Suter was better than Weber, and Weber really struggled when Suter went down with an injury.

If Weber is worth $7.5 million as an RFA, then Suter can definitely be worth $6.5 – $7 million as a UFA on the open market.

9. Mick says:

Who is playing D tonight?
    any chance we will ever see if EMelin can develop or is he doomed with the JM curse of “what have you done for me lately to rescue my butt, because I suck as a coach”.

10. Ozmodiar says:

“Don’t worry, Alexei. If you’re not sure what to say, just say your name. Watch me…’Andrei Kostitsyn’. See? It’s not so hard.”

11. DEANDALLEY says:

Carey will be with full Stache tonight!

There is Power in the Stache!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

12. Vladdy Mondavi says:

C26, Enjoy the game and have fun livening up the morgue.

My wife, too, was raised in a Sens household. But she refuses to wear a Sens jersey to a game with me for fear of getting “jerseyed” by yours truly. It’ll come off by the end of the night regardless of what she wears.

I’ve managed to convert my father-in-law, though. Didn’t take much as he was a Habs fan to begin with, so I guess it’s more a re-birth than a conversion. A victory is a victory though.

Go Habs!

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

13. Mats Naslund says:

Interesting stat: Boston (34.1) and Montreal (32.8) lead the Eastern Conference in shots FOR per game. They currently sit in 15th and 13th place respectively.

Toronto (26.3 – 2nd worst in the conference) is in 1st place overall. The Rangers (24.5) are the only team who shoots less per game.

Montreal (26.6) LEADS the Eastern Conference with the FEWEST shots given up per game. While Toronto (31.4) gives up the 5th MOST shots in the Conference. Ottawa also gives up 31.4 per game. NYR (32), TB (32.2), Carolina (32.4) and Florida (32.7) round out the worst teams in the East.

We all know shot totals do not tell a full story – but they do indicate that over the course of a full season, Toronto is going to expose its goaltenders to a much more difficult workload than Montreal’s tenders will face.

• avatar_58 says:

Or the habs need to take better quality shots, versus just shooting from the blueline

• Mats Naslund says:

No doubt. Its just interesting to see. Especially since everyone is going on about Toronto’s “good play” to start the season. They also feature the NHL’s worst penalty kill. My guess is that at some point soon, the Leafs (and Sens for that matter) are going to start paying a price for some pretty bad defensive play which has been gleaned over by some remarkably timely scoring.

• avatar_58 says:

Wasn’t the same said for the habs who made it to the ECF being outshot big time?

Shots do not tell anything more than which team shoots more. Quality vs Quantity. I’d argue a team that sets up 2-3 breakaways is outplaying a team that gets 15 weak shots on net from the point.

• Mats Naslund says:

The thing is – most good teams out-shoot the bad ones. There are obvious anomalies. A team like Nashville clearly leans on their star goaltender – which was the same way the Habs played into the conference finals. That said… Most of the best teams put up more shots than they give up.

• CanadienBoy says:

What about Kessel %

• J_P says:

Interesting stats.

I think we can all agree that montreal takes terrible shots. Gionta loves shooting the puck right at the opposing goalies chest off the rush. We have a habit of making the oppositions goalies look out of this world. Finishing is also one of Montreals weakness’. We could have easily banged in 5 on markstrom in that game against florida if the boys were better at lifting the puck from in close.

I do agree that the leafs are going to expose their goalies down the road. I read another interesting stat the leafs combined powerplay and PK is under 100%, which means they arent great on special teams, usually another sign of a team thats playing beyond their capabilities.

• Mats Naslund says:

They currently have the worst PK in the league at 70.7.. With their 16.4% PP they earn a not so good 88.1% specialty teams percentage. Montreal is still under 100 – but sitting around 96% isn’t so terrible.

14. Boomer says:

crazy schedule

Boom baby!

15. Mattyleg says:

Short installment of
    Lovesong of J. Alfred Martin
    (with apologies to TS Elliot)

For I have known teams all already, known them all:
    Have known the Panthers, Sens, Blues, though not the Ducks,
    I have measured out my life with hockey pucks;
    I know the voices laughing at a Pouliot fall
    Beneath the music from a locker room.
    So how should I presume?

**more later!**

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Bugs says:

Quick interlude.
    Another delicious Max Keiser excoriation of bankster apologist over inevitable Greek default: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CdwrADC34

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Danno says:

Buy gold now

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• VancouverHab says:

Sorry, that is a bad translation: it should read, in English, as follows:

“Another bilious and brainless piece of objectively pro-communist agitprop from another Useful Idiot in the cause for greater State control of individuals and private finance.”

Glad to help.

• Bugs says:

Since there was NO translation, let alone a good or “bad” one, I can only assume you replied here by mistake, Couvie.
        Which would explain the shocking contradiction of your statement since the charge of state (but actually “global”) communism can’t possibly be applied to those who want to return to the free market attacking the concept of a central banking system proposition, but indeed, AGAINST the fraudulent banking system itself!
        I’m flabbergasted you would even say something like that. I hope I misunderstood you.

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• VancouverHab says:

Just being too ‘meta-“, Bugs. I too, and eagerly, am one of those that “…want to return to the free market [and are] attacking the concept of a central banking system proposition, but indeed, AGAINST the fraudulent banking system itself!”

Well put.

17. db says:

I get a chance to go to the Victoria Royals vs the Vancouver Giants tonight and tomorrow. I’ve got a friend behind the bench as an associate coach for Vic, Craig Didmon. Can’t wait to see lil dynamite play!! (Brendan Gallagher)

18. canadiens26 says:

I am going to the game tonight! The habs are 3-0-1 when I watch them live (knock on wood). Can’t wait to cheer louder than all the so called Sens fans in their own building.

• bel33 says:

Enjoy the game… the rest of us will be yelling at our TVs!!!

The Habs conversion of my wife continues tonight. She grew up in Leafs loving house… but that doesn’t fly with me! Best thing that ever happened for me was her best friend started dating another Habs fan… and she started cheering for the Habs for him! Dinner and Habs game at their place tonight!

Go Habs!

• canadiens26 says:

That’s awesome! Another Habs conversion. My girlfriend “thinks” she is a Sens fan but cannot even name 5 players on their roster. She also knows basically every Hab. I started converting her last year when I bought her a Cammalleri shirt that she will be wearing tonight. Sens fan, yeah right…

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

C26, See my post above. It’s related to this conversation.

_______________________________
          Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Her Best Friend started dating a Habs fan and your wife started cheering for the habs because of him…. hmmm…. interesting.

Why did your wife not change for you?

19. Un Canadien errant says:

Guy Lafleur is not an unblemished hero who is above criticism, in this forum or elsewhere. He was a transcendent player in the 70’s, a majestic sight to behold, a Bruin and Flyer slayer. We haven’t had a player since who was as exciting and spectacular or who was as sure to deliver in the clutch.

Having said that, the end of his career left a sour taste in my mouth. I wish he had not partied his career away. I wish he had paid attention to his physical fitness as he aged, and had cut down on his use of intoxicants. I wish he didn’t continue to blame Ronald Corey, Serge Savard and Jacques Lemaire for ‘forcing’ him to retire, but that he looked in the mirror instead. I wish he didn’t use that ultimately meaningless comeback as proof that dark forces were arrayed against him.

I remember when he made the announcement just prior to training camp that he was going to try out for the Rangers, the Montreal press was surrounding him and he declared that he was serious about his comeback, and he would use a boxer’s training regimen to get back in shape. Further, as if this clinched it, he solemnly swore that he was giving up smoking. The next day.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• avatar_58 says:

Let’s not forget that business with his son either.

• V says:

I wish people could give the guy a break. There does feel like a love/hate relationship with him because of the off-ice stuff you are describing here. But, he wouldn’t be the first player who made some questionable career decisions. Just proves he’s human.

But boy, could he play hockey.

• G-Man says:

Lafleur was the last great forward the Habs have had, and, yes, he was treated very shabbily by Lemaire and Serge Savard. His “meaningless” comeback resulted in him surpassing Beliveau and the Rocket on the all-time scoring list. His .497 GPG in the regular season knocks the crap out of any Hab since. His .456 GPG in the playoffs is pretty effing awesome, too. Oh yeah, his 5 Cup rings are pretty good for a guy who used “intoxicants.”

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• sevenman says:

I’ll choose to remember the Guy Lafleur that was the idol of my youth. We haven’t had anyone like that since, except maybe for Saku ( not necessarily for his talent – but for his resiliency ). Guy’s goal against Boston in game 7 in ’79 is a lasting memmory. Smoke three packs a day who cares and do what you gotta do for a troubled son ( we all would ). The guy loved the game and the Habs even more and gave the team alot more in his career than the team gave him at the end ( Lemaire ).

Was at a game at The Aud in Buffalo when Guy came back with the Rangers back in the day when you could hang around the visting team’s dressing room and wait for players. Waited for an hour and then walked with Guy down the ramp to the waiting bus while he signed the back of my ticket stub. I’ll never forget the look of some of the young players on the Rangers’ bus including guys like Brian Leetch waiting around for that long just because of one guy….it was like “this guy must be a god”

20. Bripro says:

I’m so tired of reading about the Leafs.
    Let’s wait until feb. / march, then let’s see if TSN (Canada’s network my a**) are still talking cups and Jack Adams trophies.
    And yes La Tenderness scored a bute last night, but he did with us between coma sessions. No big deal.
    Now if we could get Pouliot to…..never mind.

21. Chrisadiens says:

I’m curious where some of you stand on this. Not even close for me.

Turris or Eller?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HabsFan1111 says:

Eller. Although I can’t say I’ve seen Turris play much, and his less than impressive stats could be very misleading, can’t say many would salivate at Eller’s 17 in 77 last year (should be double that this year at least)

• Hobie Hansen says:

We as Habs fans would take Eller but the majority of the hockey world would say Turris.

• avatar_58 says:

Honestly why not KEEP the damn player we have and let him develop? Always so quick to trade for someone else

• Chrisadiens says:

Um, ok. Cranky today?

I love Eller. The point I want to make is that Turris will be dealt before the deadline and Eller is better. Follow me so far Grumpy? I wonder what a team will give up for Turris, because all we lost was a back-up RFA goalie for Eller. And we even got Schultz too. It will be interesting to see what will develop, that’s all.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• avatar_58 says:

lol no I’m just sayin’.

Also we didn’t lose “just a backup goalie” we lost the playoff hero and supposed future all star. It’s not Gauthier’s problem he didn’t live up to the hype. Buyer beware and all that.

I imagine someone will overpay for Turris.

• Chrisadiens says:

True, at the time, Halak looked like he was gonna be a great goalie. Just didn’t work out for him.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HabsFan1111 says:

a) Halak’s career is not over yet

b) We arguably could have gotten more for Halak

c) I am still happy with Eller.

22. DearyLeary says:

The Carey Price Power ‘stache makes its debut tonight! Hooray!

23. TommyB says:

Woke up today in Bizzarro World! Checked the morning sky…only one moon. Turned on the Weather Network…Hell had not frozen over. So wtf gives? Leafs are in first place overall, and the Senators are not the doormats they were supposed to be. Meanwhile, the Habs “hope” to get back to….wait for it…. .500 hockey! Should have stayed in bed.

On a serious note, after a week off I don’t expect a great game from the Habs tonight. Too much time for the legs to grow heavy, and too much time for JM to tinker, and that’s the worse of the two evils IMO. The Habs should fare much better tomorrow night in NY, even though it is the back end of two in a row. By tomorrow they will have found their legs and the brief flight to NY from Ottawa shouldn’t be a factor, barring any unforseen delays at the airport or with weather. Anyway, I’m itching for some Habs hockey after watching and listening to Leaf cheerleaders on all media stations here in the Golden Horseshoe for the last week. Go Habs Go!

So further to the Toronto Sports Network, read a preview to the game tonight and found out Ryan WHite may not be available to play for the Habs tonight. Nice to see whoever is covering the Habs for TSN has yet to figure out he is out for awhile yet.

25. Hobie Hansen says:

Is Latendresse still in the league?

26. Habfan4lfe says:

Well Marc10, Guy has no clue about the team much less the coach. He was a great player but his opinion on JM means nothing to me or anyone else with a clue. No disrespect to Guy but shut up.

27. savethepuck says:

Been on the computor all morning with TSN in the background and had to change the channel. Couldn’t listen to them say one more time that the last time the Leafs were 6 games over 500 was 2006. Maybe they should do some research and see that the Leafs didn’t make the playoffs that year either.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• sevenman says:

stp… I’ve been livin’ here in southern Ontario for 35 years. Before the internet and sattelite TV it was Leafs 24 / 7 and maybe five Hab games a year…..thank God atleast we now have choice…$5 a month for RDS is best money anyone can spend

• RockinRey says:

Listening to the fan this morning in Toronto…I almost fell out of my car when the morning guys started talking about Wilson having to be considered for the Jack Adams if this keeps up with the Leafs!! Gimme a break

Go Habs would love to see a convincing win tonight!

• BramScott says:

It’s funny how that someone living in the GTA with the basic tier Bell package gets every Hab game but in order to see every Leaf game you would have to pay extra to get Sportsnet and Leafs TV.
        Btw, I became a Hab’s fan as a kid in the 70’s because the CBC Peterboro station which was availabe in T.O. always aired the ‘national’ game which in those days was the Habs every Saturday night.

28. DEANDALLEY says:

THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE:

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest, if you must, but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about,
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don’t give up though the pace seems slow–
    You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
    Often the struggler has given up,
    When he might have captured the victor’s cup,
    And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out–
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far,
    So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit–
    It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

29. DEANDALLEY says:

Things done well and with a care, exempt themselves from fear Josh!

Josh, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

30. Neutral says:

Until the Habs move ahead of Buffalo-Rangers-Devils they are considered chasers – not in a playoff position – not to get too excited about a couple of wins – wait and see where they are the end of november – hope we have bragging rights – not yet – laffs are making us look bad right now.

31. shiram says:

French piece on Emelin, interview and all from Marc-Antoine Godin.
    Selected translated bits;
    Emelin feels he has to prove he has his place on the roster.
    He wants to play more, but competition within the team is tough.
    Asked if he would return to KHL next season if this one does not go well for him : Hard to say, for now he is here, and will continue training hard.
    He feels there is no adaption to NA style hockey : ice rink size does not bother him, he had already played on those size of rinks, and it never was a big problem for him.
    He is ready to play and feels great.
    In the KHL he felt he had to be more sound on the D, and feels that the NHL asks more offence from the defenceman, so he has to work on his transition.

He is not afraid to hit, but says he will not fight often, but will not back down if the need arises. He hurt his eye in a previous fight, and wants to protect it.

There was a mishap with his agent, and if not for it, he might have come to the NHL earlier. Mark Gandler was the agent. That was 2007.
    He is working on his english with a tutor, once or twice a week, and he realizes the importance of learning english.

Andrei K has been helping him out, especially with talking to head coach Jacques Martin. (not making this up!)
    Spacek has been helping him out on the ice, as they are both on the D.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

32. nunacanadien says:

I like the salaries per minute played, anyone know how many minutes Gomez has played so far? Of course what is hidden is the role players play as part of a team. Apparently Gomez is supposed to be like the Chief Executive Officer of the rookies, but I wonder, if there is anything to that. If that was the case you’d see the rookies puling him aside during a game like you see on other teams. But no, Gomez is silent most of the game and you dont’ see him chatting any rookies up either on the ice or on the bench. So his minutes per game is all that there is left to rate Gomez, as we dont’ see any proof that he is any help to our rookies. Having said that, the man must be getting around $1200 a minute to play, or a million dollars a goal at the rate he is going.

• punkster says:

Wait a minute. You’re using punctuation and writing sentences. Good stuff!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• habs03 says:

Putting up numbers on the score sheet, is all Gomez should be worried, about and the only thing we should judge him by. But numerous guys, Weber, DD,Subban and Eller have all mentioned Gomez as a person that helped them become processionals. Maybe if we had that when guys like S.Kost/Lats/Higgins early on in their careers, maybe things would have turned out differently.

• Clay says:

There’s lots of 7 goal a year character players in the league who help young players become better players/professionals. Most of them make considerably less than $7 mil per season.

Maybe we should sign one of them instead?

Just a thought…

__________________________
        Anyway, I’ve never been captain in 16 years in the NHL. But that didn’t stop me being a leader in my own way.
        Guy Lafleur

• habs03 says:

Very true, but I don’t get you point, I was simply saying that just because “nunacanadien” doesn’t see Gomez talking to the young guys on the bench, it doesn’t mean he hasn’t helped them. Nowhere did I mention Gomez play or cap hit.

• Clay says:

Yeah, I know you didn’t…I just need to vent about him sometimes, and you provided an opening. No offense meant :)

__________________________
            Guy Lafleur

• nunacanadien says:

It’s like saying JM just because he doesn’t talk to his players during the game doesn’t mean he doesn’t coach. Honestly, when the situation changes you watch JM not even steering the ship. When the other team has a time out, do you see JM with his pad? No. Honestly, if Gomez is all he is made out to be, you’d hear about it from the other players, you’d hear comments from the media. As if a multimillion dollar player gives a rat’s arse about some rookie who is making peanuts!

• I liked the part when nunacanadien made an assumption in his head, based on the soap opera that his brain creates every time a habs game graces its way onto his very… very unfortunate television

• nunacanadien says:

Gomez played 1485 regular season minutes last year and 118 minutes playoff, and if he was paid the same this year with the same type of minutes, at 7 million dollars total, he makes about $105 thousand dollars a minute. The man’s faceoff percentage sucks for that! He had only one game winning goal last year and only 7 goals all year long! And before that only 12 goals. If he keeps going at this rate, he’ll be paid almost over a million dollars a goal! I could see if he made game winning goals. But really the stats are all against Gomez and Gauthier. Why keep this up? Why waste space and team production plummets with Gomez on the ice. Too bad they don’t track how many goals were scored against you when you were on the ice.

33. jon514 says:

Heh, put my HTML/CSS skills to work and bypassed the prompt to pay for the gazette website. Easy peazy. If anyone from the Gazette wants a real content gateway locker, send me an email!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

I must have missed the posts reading through, can someone show me the posts extolling all the virtues of Chris Higgins game last night? Or will thepost game love-in sessions with him only exist the nights after he scores regardless of the games outcome.

35. RetroMikey says:

R I S E T O G E T H E R …… R I S E T O G E T H E R
    what are we supposed to rise to according to the Hab marketing department?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

36. J_P says:

Puckdaddy did its annual beer index review

Another reason to hate Geoff Molson: Out of all the teams in the league, we have the highest beer prices per ounce. The habs are owned by the owners of a brewery and we have the highest beer prices in the league…and its not even good beer!

• RetroMikey says:

The best beer is from the Czech Republic (pils) or Slovakia(Kozel) pilsner beer.
      Puts all those Molson and Labatt brands to shame here in this country.
      “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Clay says:

Agreed…and they taste even better when you actually drink them in the Czech republic…it must be the women or something…

__________________________
        Guy Lafleur

• Jordio-oh says:

I can agree with this. Ever since me and my buddy went to Prague, Pilsner Urquell has been a steady item in my pilsner diet.

We went to this one bar that has the taps installed at the table and you just keep filling up at your own disposal and the tap has a meter on it that calculates the price at the end of the night.

Needless to stay, we stumbled out of that place.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Pilsner Urquell has become another mega-brand, although it’s among the best of the mega-brands.

The best beers are made by North American micro-breweries. Quebec and New England are teeming with them.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

I am aware of the Leafs and where they are, but here are some things that like them being at No. 1, will just not last:

-Marc-Andre Bergeron will not lead all NHL defencemen in scoring.
    – The Edmonton Oilers will lead the West, nor will they stand 3rd in the league.
    – The Dallas Stars will not stand at 6th in the league
    – Nikolai Khabibulin will not have a GAA under 1 for the year.
    – Josh Harding won’t have the save percentage lead.
    – Kris Versteeg will not be a point per game player over the year
    – Boston will not sit at the bottom of the Northeast (and that wouldn’t warm my heart, they’ve enjoyed the top draft picks way too much already)
    – Matt Cooke avoiding being a sociopath

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• shiram says:

MAB will be a top scoring Dman, you’re just jealous you did not pick him in the pool! ;p

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Say Ash says:

I’d be fun to dig up the players that led those stats a year ago today. Maybe somebody can find it?

• Higman says:

Going to be at the Dogs game tonight. It’s been fun seeing Leblanc play so far.

Not all that concerned about missing watching a handful of Habs games this year. Watched ‘em all last year and found half of them to be terribly boring games (Martin’s system of sitting back on a goal or two had something to do with that).

When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

38. avatar_58 says:

Another night where the bulldogs play at home during a habs game. Lookit – how about scheduling these things so that this doesn’t happen? I feel like it’s impossible for me to catch a bulldogs game without missing the big club. Even the outdoor game clashes, although in that case the AHL wins my attention.

Seriously though, pull your heads out of your asses. Don’t complain about attendence if you are going to make me choose between the AHL and NHL.

39. Danno says:

Habs will kick the Kanata Janitors’ butts tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

40. Frank2468 says:

Well I just about threw up in my mouth tonight with the leaf win. Living in Ontario the sports stations started tonight, with guess who’s in first? OMG kill me now.

Well if this continues then the Mayans calendar of the world coming to an end on December 21, 2012 must be true? After all when the Mayans looked in to the future and saw the leafs on top of the league it must have just scared the you now what out of them? Or maybe they saw the AMC series The Walking Dead with all the zombies wearing Leaf sweaters.

Or just imagine Brian Burke riding in on his horse to a wedding and saying that since he is the lord of the land and in accordance to the Kings decree he is entitled to Prima notte just like in the movie Brave Heart. Cause thats the only way the Leafs will win anything. Just like King Longshanks said “If we can’t drive them out we will Breed them out”. The end is near folks LOL

• savethepuck says:

I will go out on a limb and say the Leafs will not be on top of the Eastern conference on Dec. 21st 2012. I have a lot of Leaf’s relatives and I’m not getting anyone phone calls, texts, or e-mails from them bragging about where the Leafs are in the standings. Last year when they started 4-0-1, I was getting lots of them. They remember and they know they are just a good losing streak away from having waffles being thrown on the ice again.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• ffenliv says:

Despite coming from a family full of Leafs fans, I have to admit, I’m feeling good, not for the team, but for my long-suffering friends.

At a certain point, I just couldn’t maintain my hate for a team, over my affection for friends and family.

Thankfully, I have zero Bruins fans friends or family, so I’m free to dislike them as much as I please.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

So tonight the Habs face the one hockey player who could have been our saviour. The missing piece to the puzzle that we misplaced under the couch.

Yes. Finally we get to see what they hype is all about.

I am talking about the man himself.

The Big Zenon.

42. Chris says:

A tale of two seasons:

2010-11: 47 GP, 10-32-4, 3.40 GAA, 0.890 SV%, 2 SO

Basically, fans and pundits alike were saying that this veteran goaltender was shot, that he wasn’t worth his salary.

2011-12: 8 GP, 6-0-2, 0.98 GAA, 0.963 SV%, 2 SO

This same goaltender suddenly found his game. Of course, it helped that the team in front of him has stopped subjecting him to a ludicrous number of quality scoring chances every game.

38 year old Nikolai Khabibulin isn’t looking so washed up this season, is he? :)

• G-Man says:

The season is young yet, Chris. You actually think the Oilers and Senators can keep on the roll they’re on? Good for him, tho.

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• Chris says:

In both cases, I doubt they stay on the rolls they are on. Edmonton is getting it done with an airtight defence…they aren’t exactly lighting it up offensively. Of course, with the talent they have up front (Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson, Gagner, Nugent-Hopkins) and a couple of good veteran leaders (Smyth, Horcoff), they do have a chance to ratchet up their offensive play.

Ottawa is getting it done with great offence, but their defence stinks. I think they actually have a good chance to get better as the season goes on, as it is easier to teach defence than it is to teach offence.

More than anything, I think it is a great illustration of the difference the team can make in front of a player. Khabibulin isn’t suddenly going to learn how to play goalie at 38 years old, although Jordio-oh makes a good point below about the powers of detox. Khabibulin had some self-inflicted legal issues hanging over his head like an axe through most of last season. But I do think the team is learning how to better protect their goaltender.

• Jordio-oh says:

I’m going to attribute it to the detox.

• savethepuck says:

I knew all along that the Oilers were drafting very talented young offensive forwards but always thought they should of been doing something about their D and goaltending. This year, they are where they are because of their D and goaltending ( Dubnyk is playing very well too). It’s obviously only early but they are definitely playing very well and it shows in the team’s record thus far.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

I am with Jordio on this one, and more specifically The Bullin Wall owes everything to Joe Arpaio, the sheriff in Arizona who dressed Nik in pink during his brief prison stay at Tent City, AZ.

Perhaps we need Gomez to break the law on the teams next trip to the desert!

43. awesomerino says:

I’ll be the first to admit that the Leafs have gotten off to a fantastic start this year, but if the Habs got off to that start, I can’t help but feel there’d be a lot more skepticism and pointing out that it’s only been 12 games.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Good for the Leafs and their fans. People tend to think of the CBC and the people inside the ACC when the Leafs are brought up.

Ontario and Canada are a big place and there’s a lot of leafs fans out there who have been suffering for a long time.

It’s nice to see them get…ACTUALLY FORGET IT! THEY”RE ALL SCUM!!!

• Chris says:

You think there isn’t a lot of skepticism around the Leafs’ start? Pretty much everybody, and potentially Leafs fans most of all, are holding their breath waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But go back one year. That lineup stunk. They had no legitimate NHL centre, and nobody who could score. They had a decent defence corps that got exposed by having to play in their own zone all the time due to a lack of puck control.

Now, they’ve got 3 pivots that fit their role: Connolly (when healthy) is a poor man’s #1 center. Grabovski has proven he can produce from the second line. Lombardi gives them a veteran, two-way center that knows his job.

Throw in that Kessel seems to have found his confidence and Lupul has rediscovered their game and you’ve got a pretty decent roster. Will they keep up their current pace? Almost certainly not.

But I think most people could see that that team was going to be much improves this season.

44. Chris79 says:

Gonna be a Great Game Tonight..!!

~How would you have reacted to the Chara assault? “If I was on the bench it would have been hard for me to jump off,” he said “But if I was on the ice something would have happened. That is for sure! When I played, I was not afraid of anyone, no matter how big they were.” ~ Chris *Knuckles* Nilan.

45. adamkennelly says:

how great would it be to have Parros and Engelland on our team…say in place of Blunden and Emelin (who is not even playing)…

46. Higman says:

“The Penalty Box”

[Jacques enters confessional booth]

Jac: (crosses self quickly) Father, it’s me again!

Priest: Ugh, Jacques, you know, you’re were just here ten minutes ago. Go be with your team. Coach them or something! (Mutters) Whatever it is you do…

Jac: I can’t. I have sinned again.

Priest: Jacques, haven’t I told you before that too many men on the ice is not a sin, neither is benching Mr. Subban. I mean, really, Jacques, unless you get someone fired or – have you broken any of the commandments, ya know, something bad? What in the world are you fretting about? Did you treat another reporter badly?

Jacques: No! She shouldn’t have asked me about Mr. Darche. And it’s Pierre’s fault about Perry.

Priest: What, then? Spit it out! I have to be at the hospital ward this afternoon to visit the sick.

Jacques: It’s about Andrei – he hasn’t been in Florida at all. In fact his knee is perfectly fine. I’ve been forcing him not to play.

Priest: Why, Jacques? Why?!

Jacques: I don’t know, father! I don’t know! I just do what my notepad tells me!!

Priest: How many times do I have to tell you Jacques: notepads don’t talk. Leave the pad at home tonight. For the love of all humanity! Leave the pad at home!

• Cardiac says:

And here I thought it was Sudoku!

– Jerry Maguire

47. habs001 says:

It will be nice to get markov back as we are lacking d scoring production…pk has as many points as komisarek…our d combined
    3g 17a… the leafs for example 3g 33a….

48. Cardiac says:

Caught a little bit of Antichambre last night (don’t ask!) and I’ve got to agree with Mario Tremblay (say whaaat?) on signing Price long-term to $6-7 million. Your thoughts?

P.S. Is P.J. Stock always THAT dumb?

– Jerry Maguire

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Tremblay is by far the most sensible and knowledgeable member of the panel.

2. I think PJ Stock actually suppresses his stupid when he’s on the show.

• Cardiac says:

1. But what does that say about the panel?

2. Come on! Throwing the idea out there to trade Price for Ovie only to admit 3 minutes later that we have no choice to sign him because we don’t have any other goalies in the pipeline.

– Jerry Maguire

• V says:

Stock was hired to make Cherry look smart.

Though I watch Cherry 1% of the time, I have to admit he can be entertaining. I can’t find a single redeeming quality about Stock’s on-air performance. I am sure there is something there – I can’t find it and have given up looking.

• RGM says:

Give Carey the lifetime contract as far as I’m concerned.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• nick says:

Montreal shuldn’t be signing him until 2020. Long term 10 year signings are never a good idea.
      The most ideal situation would be to sign him for 4-5 years at about 5M per. Next season and the year after at 4M / per year. After that move up to either 5 or 6M. Or something along those lines.

• G-Man says:

6 or 7 mill with term is a bad move for a goalie that hasn’t won anything. The Luongo contract. The DiPietro contract. Sure, sign Price for 4 to 5 mill for 2 or 3 years, but 6 or 7mill for 5 or 6 years is dunderheaded.

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

49. Le Jadester says:

Cammy has to get going !
    He’s been brutal this season so far ?

Habs, OLE !

50. Malreg says:

So Detroit has now lost 6 games in a row.

Fire Babcock!
    Fire Holland!
    Ship out all the veterans for draft picks and rebuild!

• Ian Cobb says:

As soon as I saw Scotty leave Detroit, I posted that they were on the way down and Chicago was on the way up.

A great man making decisions on talent, will always bring home the hardware.

• nickster13 says:

Dont worry about Detroit Ian, they will be just fine as they have always been under the helm of Holland. And Babcock is a proven elite coach. I would hardly call them on the downswing since Scotty left..they are the model franchise

• DearyLeary says:

I’d say that’s shortsighted, he was just a consultant. The Red Wings won their division (you know, ahead of the Blackhawks), made the playoffs, and won a round (only lost in 7 to a very good Sharks team); Lidstrom won another Norris (equalling Doug Harvey).

Sounds like a pretty good season to me. Just because you don’t win a Cup in three years doesn’t mean you’re ‘on the way down’.

• joewindsor habfan says:

Ian, you are right about Scotty being great especially on scheming and motivating players but he is not the reason why the wings have fallen and he played a part with winning the Stanleys in Detroit. Jimmy Devellano was the architect who put this organization on the right track via, draft picks (Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc.,), trades (Vernon, Shanahan, etc) and coaches Murray and Demers. You could see the progression once Jimmy D, took over the organization back in the 80’s and built it up from a pile of rubble to its pinnacle. That’s when Mr. Bowman came in the fold at the winged wheel and made his magic that would eventual push them over the peak to win it all. He followed that same formula in Pittsburgh and somewhat in Montreal. In Buffalo he blew it, St. louis he didn’t pursue the teams great potential and bailed. and of course he had nothing to do w/ Chicago’s cup. this year will tell if he has the touch or not, because, he’s been there for a couple of years now to implement his will. I respect Scotty a lot he taught Stevie Y, how to win but he also had a part in messing up talented players like Federov (Playing him on defense experiment) maybe send a memo to Mr. Martin. i definetly think Scotty’s one of the best in the business but he also played his cards right wether it be luck or just pure hockey smarts when it came time to jump from one succesful program to another.

• HabFanSince72 says:

There’s one obvious difference between Babcock and Martin’s CVs.

Coincidentally the same very salient point differentiates Gauthier and Holland’s CVs.

• V says:

And since you bring it up, we would all be better served to remember that there are hundreds of very salient differences (as you put it) between the CV of Gauthier/Martin and every single poster/reporter who comes to this site.

• jmsheehy19 says:

And then immediately hire him here.

51. 123456 says:

Anyone else glad Max Lap is no longer on the team? Does have some skill, but can’t stand his antics…. bush move trying to pick up clutterbuck and put him in the bench…. why not fight him instead?

52. Maksimir says:

They better lock down Spezza’s line tonight. He’s been an absolute Hab killer in past seasons.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry for the off-topic post but 24C and I had a brief discussion about Greece the other day and I though he and anyone else might be interested in this take:

The other part of the debate that I find completely wrongheaded is that Europe consists of lazy Mediterraneans propped up by hard working Teutons.

There are different ways to organize society. Ask yourself this: where would you rather spend a week: Barcelona or Dusseldorf?

• Ian Cobb says:

I’d rather spend a week with the other lady!

• RGM says:

“Frum’s idea is that the Euro hurts countries like Greece and Spain, but greatly helps Germany.”

One of my profs, who taught a course on the EU, basically sums up the entire thing as follows: “The EU has basically given Germany everything it fought and lost two world wars to achieve in terms of its standing in Europe.”

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Thomas Le Fan says:

All I want to know is how do I get to spend (other people’s money) at a rate that I couldn’t pay back in several lifetimes and then get … to spend more? What a deal! If the Greeks can do it, why can’t I? Hoo Haw!!! It’s like signing dozens of Gomezes.

• Gerry H says:

I’d rather vacation in Barcelona, but if I wanted to get something done in a week I’d punch my ticket to Dusseldorf, danke.

Good piece by Frum, with much the same logic that drove my anxiety when a monetary union with the U.S. was the big idea (circa the mid-1990’s), supported by him, Coyne and many others. But he really lost me when he tried to pin the U.S. credit mess on Chinese monetary policy. Like Greenspan and Friedman said, there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.

54. Marc10 says:

I can’t believe some so called Hab fan ragged on Guy on this site… WTF?!

Guy Lafleur! Are you fricken kidding me! Is nothing sacred?!

Short of committing some horrible act, Guy gets a pass. Everybody knows he’s outspoken. It’s part of his charm. Everybody also knows the man is a living legend, one of the greatest players ever to lace up skates and part of Holy Hab Trinity.

What is this world coming to…

End of rant. You may return to your pining for another coach…

55. JohnBellyful says:

JM:
    Members of the media, draw closer if you will
    I’m here to answer questions, my innards I will spill

Reporter:
    What say you, Jacques, to rumours rife,
    Your days are numbered here,
    It won’t be long before the knife
    Has ended your career?

JM:
    A blade between my shoulder blades? I tarry not with gossip
    What chins will wag and scribes will write I often want to toss up

Reporter:
    What of the lines, pray tell us now
    Enlighten us with haste
    Unlock your lips, unfurl your brow
    We haven’t time to waste

JM:
    Listen closely, beer-soaked wretches, here’s the choice I’ve made
    I’m double-shifting Gomez – why? He is our highest paid

Reporter:
    The team is soft, it’s widely known
    They haven’t any grit
    What can you do, they lack backbone
    Is there a fix for it?

JM:
    With promise made, there’s now resolve, and plenty of good cheer
    If Cup they claim I won’t return, it’s farewell my fourth year

Next up: An interview with Leafs’ top goalie, James Rhymer

Don’t be kidding yourselves folks!

But the big difference is that Ottawa and even Toronto are playing a far better all round game than we are for 60 minuets.

Tonight will tell a story, if we have put the team on the same page yet or not. Power play, face offs, and team play with better tape to tape forward passes to players in full stride. Not these back passes and icings all the time, that put the play in our end.

They have had a nice rest and a week of practice with new coaching. Lets just see tonight if we are ready to start taking our rightful place in this league.

• Sharks9 says:

We have to be disciplined tonight, the Sens have a killer PP.

25 before 14

• MileEnd says:

“Yes we have better depth, speed and talent than do Ottawa and for that matter any team in our division.”

You do realize the Stanley Cup winning Bruins and league-leading Leafs play in the Northeast as well? We will need Price to be OUTSTANDING for this team to make the playoffs.

57. Thomas Le Fan says:

Date night. I’ll have to miss my first Habs game this season. Oh well, happy wife, happy life. Go Habs!

58. CanadienBoy says:

Oilers are looking good with all those top juniors in the line up, must be niece but what the deal with the Islanders 3-0 to Winng..they had good picks as well

• tbovs says:

the desire to perform and play to appease your crowd and have fun isn’t there. They live in a place where your not even second thought…more like 4th or 5th behind Jets, giants, Knicks, nets in the winter….Its a place where top picks go to die…

i.e. Rick,,,teen wolf,,,,dipietro

Question!
    Will Martin disturb all the lines bringing Gomez back to the lineup or will he just replace Eller on the 3rd line with him?

• 24 Cups says:

Ian – Martin usually sticks with the veterans so Gomez will bump somebody when he returns. Blunden is the player who will sit, with Moen taking his place. The only question then will be which guy moves to the wing, DD or Eller. I say it should be DD.

BTW, I mailed you a letter yesterday concerning the Summit.

• G-Man says:

If Gomez plays, then…. (perhaps) Darche sits as Moen is dropped to the 4th and Eller stays with AK and Gomez plays…wait for it…wing.
      There, all fixed.

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

The Sens have no defense and for all their wins have almost as many losses.

Mind you being one game over 500 is better than being one game under. The difference is they are middle of the pack and the Habs are still in draft lottery territory.

I just hope the Habs don’t decide to play defensive shell hockey in view of the Sens lack of defense.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Habs took a serious step forward last year in not being doormats for the Senators as they so often have in the past decade, dominated the season series 5-1. That was a key stat, after going 1-5 against them the year before (Note how the Senators finished 6 points ahead of Montreal in 2010 by using us to pad their record).

If they can maintain what they did last year they should be fine, plus Carey’s got a pretty good career record against the Senators including multiple shutouts.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

The player to watch tonight is Colin Greening. He has decent size and works hard in both ends of the ice. He’s still a bit green, but is making the most of his quick start to the season.

62. petefleet says:

I’m expecting a high scoring game. With the Habs having 3 scoring lines this year and a steady 4th line, don’t expect a tight game. My bold prediction is that if Carey brings his “A” game, this could easily be a 5-1 game in the Habs favour.

******************************************
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

***Habs Forever***

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

petefleet,
      I’m with you on the high scoring affair. I’d like to see the Habs continue their aggressive forecheck on the opposing D. There should be some turn overs (read: goals).
      I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ottawa comeback in the third, though. So the Habs will need a 5-1 lead to keep the W.

Needless to say, the goalies will play a big part of the game.

That’s right, it was needless to say it but I said it anyway. …now where’s my coffee? …

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

63. The Cat says:

Big test for the habs tonight, cause I dont think anything can be interpreted from the 2 wins vs Boston. Glad Rinne is finally getting the recognition he deserves, I mentioned him early last year as one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL at a hockey forum and it seemed no one knew him at all, thats Nashville for you I guess…Now if only Halak could get his act together.

64. HabFanSince72 says:

Who is deleting posts?

What is the game is played on the ice, not paper? Are you just learning that now my child?

I have that job this week! Keep your head up my friend!

67. HabFanSince72 says:

Whoever it is should only be deleting posts that put the Gazette at legal risk or posts that contain obscene language.

68. neumann103 says:

I read the original post about Guy Lafleur and thought it was unnecessary, mean spirited and fundamentally irrelevant to any of the discussion. I don’t have an issue with it being deleted on that basis. But I don’t think it reached the level of slander or libel (or whatever online forum posts as a medium are judged to be) so I don’t think it rose to the level of “put the Gazette at legal risk” that HFS72 mentions below.

Speaking of which, I cannot reply to that post, but the implication that posts that contain “obscene language” should be deleted is one of the silliest themes on many online communities. I agree that if someone is using threats or slurs to attack other people I would support some editorial control, but the notion that tender ears and eyes would be sullied by the appearance of expressive words that have been a part of the English language for 800 years or so is freaking (sic) ridiculous horseshirt (sic).

(edited to add “threats” in addition to slurs as “language” worthy of editorial excision)

“Et le but!”

69. savethepuck says:

Scrivens played like a #1 goalie last night.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

Until any goalie for the leafs puts together a complete season, any of them can be their Number 1 goalie.

71. RGM says:

And look at all the great ones that we’ve had since the Roy trade: Thibault, Moog, Hackett, Theodore, Aebsicher, Huet, Danis, Garon, Tugnutt, Chabot, Jablonski.

Yeah, finding good goalies is a real walk in the park eh?

We struck lightning in a bottle with Price and Halak – two stellar young goalies coming on to the team at the same time. Circumstances in June 2010 dictated that we could only keep one of them. Over a relatively short sample timeframe it looks like the team made the right choice. If management has any semblance of brains all it will ensure that it locks up that incredibly valuable asset–a generational franchise goalie–for as long as possible.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

72. Jordio-oh says:

why do we have to go over this again?

You’re on here enough to have read the previous discussions. Some of them were easy to skip over, but other posters had intelligent contributions as to why its pointless to pine over players that didn’t work out here.

Or, am I the victim of a classic HH bait job?

73. 123456 says:

actually i prefer cammy and gionta to lats and SK – grabs i think is good

74. V says:

Nice goal. Not surprised to see that sort of thing from Last one bit.

75. DEANDALLEY says:

A broken clock is correct twice a day!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

76. SeriousFan09 says:

Why are people so misty-eyed about a guy who cared as little about working hard as a Union guy 10 minutes before his shift is up?

His last ‘effort’ here was a farce. He didn’t care about the team and he’s performing where there are no expectations.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

77. slapshot777 says:

Lats is lazy and therefore is the reason he is not with the Habs anymore. He was so lazy that last season he didin’t put in a full effort in the offseason to work out and he injured himself for the season.

Latendresse, doesn’t take any blame but rather looks to shift blame to someone else. When he was traded he blamed Habs managment for not giving him enough ice time. Lats problem was he thought that he had a free pass to play for the Habs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

78. habfanacrossthed says:

Really HH, didn’t know we still play the “what if” game. Laps, Higgins, Lats, SK all those fools were garbage in CH. Get over it and root for those on the team, or keep trying to be an arm chair GM.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

79. Propwash says:

Funny how people used to scream to get rid of all the players you’ve mentioned, only to want the team to come crawling back to them.

They’re all gone for a reason. With the exception of McDonaugh, but I remember when he was traded, he wasn’t exactly lighting it up in the minors either.

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

HH’s tank theory has currently hit a speed bump, therefore in order to stir the pot he is going at that age old forumula of bring back the Habs of glories past. Don’t worry should the Habs lose tonight we will see the Tank back in all its glory.

81. avatar_58 says:

I sure as hell don’t miss his lazy ass. Shame the guy they got for him also eventually gave up.

Cole more than fills the role these two were supposed to be in.

82. sevenman says:

yeah, gotta love the tank theory…the same “fans” who want the team to tank are the ones out on the ledge after every single loss…..let’s see if this makes sense, “we want the team to tank so we can have a great draft pick but can you somehow figure out how to do it and still win games”……tanking is for losers, plain and simple

83. Thomas Le Fan says:

Couldn’t I just camp in a park, not bathe, break some windows and take what I want?

84. G-Man says:

Shiloh is blind to the powers of Gui, Gui, Gui!

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

Was not discussing the merits of the tank, rather just your choice in which topic du jour to stir the pot with today.

86. kempie says: