Finally, a game

And it was worth waiting for.

The Canadiens are in Boston for a genuine four-ponter.

P.K. credits Hal Gill for mentoring

Bruins beef up with Jordan Caron

• Gill gives P.K. the gears and scab Journal writer takes it seriously. Arpon Basu explains what went down

• Gaston Therrien wants more consistency from Benoit Pouliot

• Marc Antoine Godin’s assessment of Pierre Gauthier’s first year

• Stu Hackel on the players and head shots

• TSN has trade deadline playbooks for the East and the West

Jaro stops 30 of 31 and Matt D’Agostini scores the winner

Carolina loses but gets a point

Surging Sabres light up Roloson

1. Bugs says:

The Gomez deal will work in 3 years.

Won’t work now.

2. TomNickle says:

We have two consistent forwards and I really hope that everyone here knows who they are.

That said, everybody else needs to be more consistent up front regardless of where they’re playing and how many minutes they get.  Eller is better defensively if you’re wondering why he’s getting more minutes Bugs.

3. HabFanSince72 says:

There are aspects of Pouliot’s play that are quite consistent. Backing away from physical challenges for example.

4. TomNickle says:

Not true at all.  Failing to pick up the proper man when he’s backchecking into the neutral zone and defensive zone would be fair, but your physical play comment is not.  Well, I can’t say that I’ve seen him give up on a play due to a fear of getting engaged physically.  I saw him beat out an icing last week though.

5. W35T5ID3 says:

Dude lots are consistent …not just 2.Darche is consistent ….patches since hes bin up has been consistent…..Plex play is as consistent as his wearing of that turtleneck of his….pouliot i believe has been matureing and his game is evolving in a positive way….gio’s been fairly consistent…..and so on and so forth…..Habs rule!!!.We ought not get so bloody picky with this team.They are winning and they are playing excellent hockey,for the most part….so be happy!Remember the days of aebischer…thibault…turner ‘sk8s in mud’ stevenson…..oleg petrov….donny audette….REMEMBER!!???Those were awful sh!t teams….Be happy with this team now….its collectively a solid group.

6. W35T5ID3 says:

vermette has been awful this year……

AK has mountains more potential than that schmuck…..

Pahlson is garbage and so is his huge salary for a 3rd line……

…etc etc….

Gomez for Vinny….meh could care less if they swapped places….Personally i think gomez is good for this team.He carrys the puck fast with blinding speed and hes got moves,dangles….hes a good player.Vinny is past his prime.He can stay with the ‘Ning…we dont want him.

7. TomNickle says:

Gionta and Plekanec are the only consistent forwards we have.

Pacioretty has around 20 games of NHL play this season under his belt, and as much as I like him and as excited I am for his development, I can’t say he’s consistent based on a quarter season.  Darche is far from consistent, his effort level is always there, but he makes some mistakes that make you realize he was a career AHLer for a reason.

I’m thrilled for the team by the way, because players like Cammalleri, Gomez, Kostitsyn and Pouliot are streaky scorers, and they haven’t been scoring.  When they start to contribute offense it will lead us to first place in the division.

8. W35T5ID3 says:

Darche has been more consistent then gio.He’s got 9 goals!NINE FRIGGIN GOALS!Whodathunkit.And since when did giving it your best effort night in and night out as darche does wasnt considered being consistent?He does what he does consistently and effectively.He may not have the most gifted hands but hes consistent more than anyone else.If he wasnt he would not have stuck with this team like he has.

9. The Cat says:

I think you have a right to be miffed Bugs. It seems the system is more important than producing, thats ok, but then JM cant turn around and penalize some players for not producing. I mean if you got to think defense first, dont see the PP and play on the 3rd or 4th line, itll be pretty hard for ANYONE on the habs to produce.

10. Habnofear says:

So here comes the BIG QUESTION: What does the Montreal Canadiens organization have to do to make a showing in the Stanley Cup finals? And for those fans that say all is good and the team needs no upgrades….you are definitely from the Church of Habs,KEEP PRAYING….

11. Bugs says:

Is that why he always comes out of board battles with the puck?

Or do you mean he should…fight more? Like Plekanec?

12. TomNickle says:

We’ll just have to disagree on this one.  Suffice to say I don’t fall in love with the great story on the team just because it’s a great story.

Gionta hasn’t taken a shift off all season.  He’s the Energizer Bunny.

13. TomNickle says:

The team needs Pouliot, Kostitsyn and Gomez to play their best more often than not.  They need Subban to develop three years ahead of schedule and Wisniewski to become adequate enough defensively that Hamrlik and Spacek can be held under 20 minutes/game.

14. fbkj says:

i believe in order to make a showing they need to win more games than they lose

15. Bugs says:

Eller is not “better defensively”, Tommy. Eller has NO offense. Nuance. Always stuck in his zone. Only natural to see HIS defensive play improve.

If Poolio didn’t HELP create plays and forward pressure was stuck in his zone the whole shift, I dare say his defensive play would improve as well. As would anyone’s.

16. RGM says:

Carey Price will play a major role in the team’s performance, as has been the case all year.

Beyond the man between the pipes, the offence has to step up and the defence has to continue to play the system, with fewer mental lapses. I do believe that there will be one or two additions (and possibly additions by subtraction) made at the deadline to put that $4.7M worth of cap space available. As it stands right now, the team is good enough win perhaps a round or even two, but to go over the top we need more scoring. The always-elusive big-body presence is naturally a priority.

17. Bugs says:

Definitely the pp. It’s ridiculous that he’s not on it.

18. arcosenate says:

And I actually forgot another one, get Carkner from Ottawa, all playoff roads go through Philly, he would be quite and asset when Mr. Hartnell decides to push folks around.

19. DearyLeary says:

Do you suppose that Devils journalists feel the need to be passive aggressive every time Gionta scores a game winner?

20. TomNickle says:

Bugs.  I’m huge on Pouliot and on record saying that he has the most upside of any player in our ORGANIZATION.  Can’t emphasize that enough, I’m including Leblanc, Kristo, Avtsin, all of em.  Just not Price.

Anywhoo, Eller doesn’t turn the puck over at the offensive zone blue line, he doesn’t screw up his backchecking assignments and he most importantly, he makes the opposing puck carrier go where he wants him to go when he’s forechecking.  Pouliot doesn’t do these things well enough, he’s improved very much over the last season and he’s showing me that he’s willing to learn and get better, but as of today, he is not as good defensively as Eller, and that’s the reason he’s not getting those top 6 minutes.

21. DearyLeary says:

Benny’s an enigma to me.  He’s a traditional N/S player, but he really has no lateral movement to speak of; he can lay out a player, but he doesn’t grind in the corners; he’s got a great shot, but he needs time to wind it up; great speed, no hussle…

He’s just not creative enough to work ont he PP without being a liability. He’s not sound with the puck, and doesn’t respond to pressure well.  He needs a setup man with speed so that Benny can get the space to unload his shot.  Just not something that happens on the PP on a regular basis.

Pacioretty is everything Benny should have been.

22. samTHEman says:

Caron – Thornton – Campbell….what are the Booins up to tonight?

23. Bugs says:

You had me until “Eller doesn’t turn the puck over at the offensive zone blue line” which he does. All. The. Time.

I’m out, Tommy.

24. W35T5ID3 says:

They need a big power forward who can score……Or a Top sniper with size up front ……they need help on D as well.Bieksa type…maybe Phillips…maybe a guy like that.Heck Kaberle would look alright in a hab uni.Great passer …good vision…bad defensively but JM can work with him on that aspect.I dunno….thats just my two cents.

25. W35T5ID3 says:

who cares cuz they all suck and we’re gonna beat the snot outta them and come out with the win.Bruins dont scare me nor the habs….We dont back down from no body.

26. W35T5ID3 says:

Hey kitty lay off the catnip..You say Pronger the best player in the NHL?PLeeease….he’s good…but he aint the best….He’s maybe top 10….MAYBE…but hes a dooshbag anyways and he’ll retire soon anyways cuz hes old.

27. PrimeTime says:

Win 12 playoff games??

Seriously, trades made at the dealine rarely vault you team from a pretender to a contender. The sellers are usually the winners in shedding players that no longer fit into their long range plans.

I think we all know what the Habs need to do to win 12 playoff games and some of that includes some luck. Play a tight defensive game, don’t turn the puck over in the neutral zone, get someone to the net, and the Specialty Teams need to out perform others.

Anyone who expects a major change or anything different is dilusional

28. fbkj says:

i wish i could “like” your i wish i could “like” your comment comment

29. The Cat says:

Come on, give the guy his due, he plays half the 60 minute game in the playoffs. Hes the biggest difference maker there is, most teams become a serious threat for the cup because of him.

30. W35T5ID3 says:

Agreed Carkner is 1 mean tough dude…he fought boogard and pretty won the fight…the dude’s got balls!

31. Mark C says:

Tom gets it. Some of us are worrying way too much about external solutions to Montreal’s weakness; however it’s really about maximizing the team’s internal options. I fail to see many trade options that would do anything but marginally improve Montreal’s chances, both short and long term, and all will cost resources that would be better saved for a later date.

This team is good enough to make a run, the length of that run depends on how well 19 players play and luck. Adding players like Dustin Penner and/or Chris Phillis would help, but even both of them wouldn’t push Montreal over the top. And the cost of acquiring them would hurt Montreal too much in the future.  I hope Montreal stays away from rentals unless it’s a minor move, and only makes trades that have long or middle term impact at the deadline.

32. Jimmy9Toes says:

I was lucky enough to go to the Allstar game 2 weeks ago and i got some awesome pictures. The best one of all was right after i picked up my luggage in Raleigh i turn around and who is standing there? Carey, Tim Thomas and Patrick Sharp. You can probably guess by my avatar who i took my pic with.

33. j2w4habs25 says:

Rivalry? does nesn know what that means? come on now we own the Bruins we always had. The only time they beat us is when we’re tired out, or hungover!!! its NO rivalry when one team seems to own the other every time they play eachother – unless because they knocked us out in four straight two playoffs ago, they think they got a new chapter against us but I highly doubt it. GO HABS GO!

Carey Price #31

34. andrewberkshire says:

Bugs: Pouliot doesn’t play top 6 minutes for one simple reason, to spread out the scoring depth. From his play this year I think it’s obvious that Pouliot is more deserving of a scoring role than Eller, but at this point Eller can not be the go-to guy on a line for scoring, he hasn’t hit his NHL scoring stride yet, so Pouliot gets that job. It’s unfortunate that Benoit doesn’t get much PP time, but neither does Eller. As it stands right now, it’s a testament to Benny’s character that he never complains and always takes whatever role he gets. Someone posted on here yesterday I believe that Pouliot is 1st in the entire league in points for players averaging under 13 minutes a game or something, so that’s huge.

35. Habitoban says:

Agree that Benny could do a better job of grinding on the boards. But can’t agree that “He’s just not creative enough to work ont he PP without being a liability.” From what I see, he has better vision and niftier passing than most,if not all, of his colleagues, with the exception of Pleks.

36. PrimeTime says:

Ha Ha!!! Thanks for the correction :)

37. JF says:

The Flyers were missing Pronger for six weeks and kept humming along at about the same rate.  They’re are so deep and so well-balanced that taking any one player out of their lineup won’t significantly affect the outcome. If their goaltenders can handle the playoff pressure (which is by no means proven), I don’t think there’s a team in the East that can beat them in a 7-game series.

38. JF says:

The Habs need to win 16 playoff games, not 12.

39. Trenton_Romulox says:

The biggest thing the Canadiens need is for certain players to step up: Gomez, Kostitsyn, Pouliot. Along with that, the Habs need the players that are playing well now to continue to play well. This team is capable of scoring goals if things happen to click on any given night, they just have to consistently tap into that. The goaltending is solid and the team defence is pretty good. I just don’t think that there are gonna be any deals that could be made that give the team some huge boost. It’s more important to get the best out of what you’ve got, and then decide what needs to change. I don’t think we’ve seen the best this team can offer offensively yet. That being said, it will take a lot of luck and determination for this particular group of players to make it to the Cup finals. But isn’t that always the case, anyways?

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Usually when Pouliot carries the puck into the offensive zone, if a defender comes  toward him he stops and turns around and backhands the puck, usually to no one.

41. Trenton_Romulox says:

That’s awesome! He’s seemed like a real nice, down to earth guy from what I’ve seen of him, is this accurate?

Edit: Also, what was your favourite part of All Star weekend?

42. Mr.Hazard says:

P.K.’s family dinner: Defenceman P.K. Subban said he went out to dinner recently with defence partner Hal Gill and Gill’s two daughters.

“It wasn’t planned,” Subban said. “I happened to show up at the same restaurant and he said: ‘Come on and eat with us.’ I got to play with his two daughters. It felt weird. I’m sure he felt like he was babysitting for all three of us.

lolll – I’ve seen Gill around with his two daughters. He looks like your typical 30-something dad, you’d never guess he’s a pro athlete. Although he’s tall, he’s very calm and moves slowly.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry, but I think the Bruins resurgence started when we spammed NESN. I remember the game very well. they were down by two goals to the Pens, looking hopeless, and we were all laughing at them.

No one’s laughing anymore.

44. sidhu says:

Awesome article by Basu on the Gill-PK exchange.  PK is very promising, but has a lot of learning to do.

45. andrewberkshire says:

It has more to do with QMI trying to make a story out of nothing, and then translating the French article to English, which was already translated to French from the quotes… Jumbles everything.

46. Fire_Laraque says:

Bpooh: 11

Eller : 15.

Eller is NOT better defensively.

47. avatar_58 says:

I kind of hope Gill stays for 2012, he’s amazing for PK

48. Bugs says:

That’s what I’m saying. It hurts me to say it, but that’s what I’m saying.

French media ain’t “stirrin up sh*te”; the French media is just prone to misunderstanding the finer nuances of the English language and how the many intricate forms of its irony are used.

Same way Engish media is prone to misunderstanding some nuances of French, mind.

That being said, in THIS particular case, I have been convinced that a Swahilian child of FOUR never heard a word of English in his or her LIFE could’ve discerned the playfulness of the Soobie-Gill situation so that the writer of the offending article WAS in fact “stirrin up sh*te”.

Leading me to point 2: one SCAB does not the overall “French media” make.

49. The Cat says:

Boston are 6-1 with 3 or more days off, Montreal are 8-5 with 2 days off. Boston are also 6-1 on Wednesdays, MTL are 3-4…But the real question is -has Ference hurt the vibe in Boston?

50. andrewberkshire says:

51. Cool Ice Price says:

I am? Please explain.

52. Gormdog says:

Hey guys off topic but:

I’m starting up a blog focusing on a gay man’s perspective on the Habs. Not that the content would necessarily be focused on the liaison of the two, but, I feel like it’s an oppertunity to stand out a bit in the dime-a-dozen world of Habs blogs.

Do you guys think there is a “market” for this?

So far the best name I can come up with is “Stay out of the Box”. The intent is to write a blog focused on hockey/Les Canadiens de Montreal, but would also include off topic commentary to gather hits from my non-sports affiliated brethren.

Any opinions, suggestions, or feedback in general would be much appreciated!

(Edit: No paragraph breaks?!? Way to sell it…)

53. Jimmy9Toes says:

Thanks, i am 5’8″, but Carey is like 6’3″. I have another pic from 1988 with me and The Rocket when he came up to referee an Oldtimers game.

54. Say Ash says:

Also, Tim Thomas is really good in games not involving us.

55. Jimmy9Toes says:

He was real friendly when i talked to him. My whole weekend was awesome. One of my best friends was one of the linesmen for the game so we had unlimited access. I got pics with 13 current players, 8 ex players and Ron Maclean. On my trip back i sat next to Brendan Shanahan and across the aisle from Brian Engblom.

56. DearyLeary says:

The talk that Ferrence put the room off is a stupid idea.  I find the best rule to follow is that if Don Cherry thinks something is right, it’s wrong.

57. DearyLeary says:

Complete agreement, probably for the first time ever.  I like Brewer a lot, he’s been underrated on pretty much every club he’s played for.

58. DearyLeary says:

He’s good for PK and for the PK.

59. Chuck says:

I’d say that you’re probably better off focusing on one thing, and doing it really well. Putting a lot of “off-topic” commentary into the blog will only clutter it for the folks that will be reading the blog for the Habs-related stuff, and likewise the folks that will be looking for the gay perspective will have to wade through all of the hockey stuff to find what they want to read.

If you can find a way to seamlessly integrate the two subjects, though, I’d say go for it.

60. TomNickle says:

Nevermind that Benoit Pouliot has played only one shift on the penalty kill all season long or that Pouliot has a better road plus/minus statistic than home plus/minus(where he gets the favourable matchup).  Giving the puck away is not a defensive statistic for a forward, it is an offensive statistic.  Takeaways are much more telling(Pouliot has more takeaways by the way).  But with all of that said.  Pouliot still picks up the wrong man on the backcheck which is a novice mistake, he often gets caught too deep in the offensive zone when he’s supposed to be the high man and Eller is almost never guilty of those things.

Oh, and Pouliot has been with Halpern and Darche for the majority of the season.  Two players who are highly likely to inflate somebody’s plus/minus numbers due to their abilities defensively and also due to Halpern’s faceoff accumen.  Eller has been shuffled throughout the lineup the entire season and has had a new set of linemates on an almost nightly basis.

Eller’s inclusion in the top 6 forwards is a testament to his defensive ability which is exactly why Martin brought him into that group instead of Desharnais or Pouliot.

61. Gormdog says:

I agree in a sense, because, not to play into stereotyping, but the two focuses are often mutually exclusive. Would be more of a “sub section” to stay true to the initial idea…

62. Bugs says:

Slightly dubious reasoning but the exclamation points sold it.

I’m with you, buddy!

63. Bugs says:

How much cap money comes in with Penner AND Phillips?

How much would we have to unload? And what contracts on this club would we have to combine to reach that amount?

64. Bugs says:

Yeah, but we went back when the reverse happened and that worked out great. No? And that game you mention, we won, sooo…quit your lily-livered bellyaching, lower the helmet, ready your lance, and to the fray with you, man!

65. habs-hampton says:

Maybe the problem with the media isn’t that our captains can’t always speak french, but that the “reporters” can’t understand english.

66. The Cat says:

Are you gay or just using the gimmick? Not that theres anything wrong with being gay but if you dont write from the heart, it aint likely to work out.

67. DearyLeary says:

Realistically we’re looking at one of the players listed, and most of them are UFAs, and therefore won’t cost more than we gave up for Wisniewski.

68. andrewberkshire says:

Tim Thomas against the rest of the NHL: 25-5-5.

Tim Thomas against the Habs: 0-1-1

69. Gormdog says:

Haha, no, not just a gimmick.

Well, in essence, it IS a gimmick, but one that would also be from the heart…

Three cheers for HTML codes!

70. The Cat says:

Well itd be a way to break from the fray, how many here dont have a habs blog???

71. punkster says:

Had a brief exchange with Bill yesterday regarding Pouliot and AK. Bottom line was we agreed that the Habs already have the couple of top 6 forwards they require in these two guys, they just need to work themselves into consistent top 6 form. As for Eller he’s getting valuable ice time and exposure that will serve him well over the next couple of seasons. I sincerely doubt JM will play him much in the playoffs but until then he gets his shot. I would expect to see Pouliot (and AK) regularly on the first two lines come April/May, wouldn’t you?

72. The Cat says:

Well dont do it, what if you get invited on tv shows or interviewed in a gay magazine, youll be forced to admit youre gay or else youll look phony…Think of the consequences man lol

73. SmartDog says:

LMAO.   Man, I love that title.  Very funny.

I’m wondering how your perspective would be different.  What kind of content would you create that might not for example end up on one of the other blogs?

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

74. DearyLeary says:

Penner woudl be more with another year on his contract, but I think the rumour for him is being overblown as is, so I wouldn’t worry about giving much up for him.

Finally, a game

The Canadiens are in the Motor City.

Maybe Scott Gomez and P.K. Subban will play.

Maybe they won’t.

Gomez hopes rest is tonic

Martin details Weber-Subban and his thoughts behind the situation: Stubbs column

Cam Cole blasts benching of P.K.

• Stubbs on some of the season’s better hockey books

• Pat Hickey on Jarred Tinordi