Finally, a game

And it was worth waiting for.

The Canadiens are in Boston for a genuine four-ponter.

P.K. credits Hal Gill for mentoring

Bruins beef up with Jordan Caron

• Gill gives P.K. the gears and scab Journal writer takes it seriously. Arpon Basu explains what went down

• Gaston Therrien wants more consistency from Benoit Pouliot

• Marc Antoine Godin’s assessment of Pierre Gauthier’s first year

• Stu Hackel on the players and head shots

• TSN has trade deadline playbooks for the East and the West

Jaro stops 30 of 31 and Matt D’Agostini scores the winner

Carolina loses but gets a point

Surging Sabres light up Roloson

1. Gormdog says:

a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd rounder?

Seems only fair…

2. Trenton_Romulox says:

Wow, that’s amazing! You are one lucky guy, Jimmy. Did you happen to talk to Shanahan much? I’ve always liked that guy.

3. Bugs says:

For Penner???

I dunno…

Think it’s gonna cost more’n that.

4. The Cat says:

If they dont understand a little english then they should hire someone that does.

5. Bugs says:

Don’t tell me; tell them!

You’re preachin to the choir, bub. No login required. So on with it.

6. Mark C says:

Timmy Thomas in the nets tonight and Seguin is a healthy scratch! Another sad case of a young player being ruined by his coach. Forget head shots, when will the league step in and protect these young players from the criminal actions of their head coach’s?

7. Gormdog says:

Well there’s the rub, right?

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out, because deep down, I’m a Habs fan with opinions just like everyone else. The one true crossover idea I have would be a tongue-in-cheek (a la Down Goes Brown) gay guide to hockey, but otherwise it’s sort of hard to reconcile those two topics together… without losing people who who read it for “genuine hockey content”!

As you can see this isn’t a fully fleshed out idea, but I’m a former Journalism grad that has done little-to-no post-degree writing so I’m using this as an excuse to get back into the swing of things…

8. kempie says:

So far the best name I can come up with is “Stay out of the Box”.

I don’t know how much of a market there would be, seems maybe a bit narrow, but this made me LOL. Good luck.

9. Bugs says:

(gulp) Okaaay…I’m in then. And I want you in at those conference calls, Deary, aw’ight? In fact, you better tell Pierre to let you do the talkin.

And if, by the grace’o’Gad, if ever I become the proud owner of a club, I’m hiring you as my gm and that’s all there is to it.

I swear this by the angels before the altar of the Almighty, on my word, or on pain of Hell.

10. avatar_58 says:

teehee and all that

11. mrhabby says:

habs and leafs taking trade with Beauchmin coming our way.if you want to believe the idiot eklund.

rest assured if PG makes a trade its going to cost pics or some young up and comer …not a big fan of that as it hardly ever works for the buyer..

12. adam76 says:

So the Bs are starting Timmy T?  Bhahahahahahahahaha.  Did they not watch the last 20 games he has played against Montreal?

13. StevieRay says:

I would rather Benny than DD on the second PP wave . I just think he’s a little stonger fighting for the puck along the boards and has a quicker wrister ..

14. andrewberkshire says:

Pouliot less so since Cammalleri is coming back. However what I’d like to see is Pouliot firing bombs from the point on the 2nd wave PP. Or put him in Kovalev’s old position on the half wall. The kid can snipe, he has the best slapper on the team and his wrister in nearly as good.

Either way, with Pouliot getting better all season, it seems to me that we have 7 top 6 forwards since Pacioretty was called up. If Eller gets up to speed by the end of the year or next year, we’ll have 8.

15. avatar_58 says:

MAB is too busy taking 10 years off Boucher’s life

16. Gormdog says:

You have me all wrong Cat!

The fact that I am (truly) gay still IS a gimmick… As far as a hockey blog is concerned.

But kudos for the implication that this could lead me to be on TV!

17. The Cat says:

It bugs me that you say that, but if Seguin was regularly logging the most minutes on the team, then I take it back.

18. ooder says:

maxwell for penner, regher and philips

done deal

he will play a 3rd of a season for each team

GWG = game winning gionta!

19. Bugs says:

Ha! Nice.

You got me there, Gormie.

JM will go with 6 forwards and 4 defensemen in the playoffs. And one goalie.

21. punkster says:

Wow and if they all get going at the same time we may actually have the potential (potential, I say) for 3 scoring lines?.OK, OK, I’m getting ahead of myself. But still.

22. Storm Man says:

This is my take on what Gauthier does before or on trade deadline day. It will be a players or players no one has talked about on this site that is for sure. Im glad to see no more talk of Iggy that was driving me nuts. Now we have talk of Penner that is not going to happen. It will be someone out of the blue.

23. Storm Man says:

That is a good night of hockey for MAB.

24. StevieRay says:

I love watching Boucher coach … you can literally see the steam coming out of his ears …excited dude he is ! Maybe in a few years time we can get him back … what a coaching culture shock that would be .

25. Gormdog says:

Thanks man, and I completely agree, there is a big chance I could end up pigeonholing myself.

And no, that is’nt some sort of gay term for…. Nevermind. I’ll keep it for the blog 😛

26. Bugs says:

Yes, and now we’re adding “scoring depth” to Halpern and Moen. Yay.

Eller is, unfortunately and despite his potential, utterly useless. He is AT BEST, at the very, very BEST, a 4th liner. At the moment. Maybe not after a Pac-Man or Soobie stint in Hamilton, but at the moment, he’s totally useless. I mean, c’mon. This isn’t about “working hard” or “Halak trade face-saving” or “development” anymore, right? I mean, I don’t wanna be mean or anything, but gosh bless’m, he’s totally useless. And he should go for a stint in tha AHL. Worked for Soobie and the Pac-Man, so why can’t it work for him? He’s got a lot of good qualities. I think he could be an EXCELLENT 3rd line checker. And that’s huge and that would suit me.

4th liner. Eller out. Other 4th liner in. White. Poolio up. Bob’s your uncle. What’s the problem here?

I don’t wanna see Poolio “not complain” about not gettin more ice-time; I just wanna see him get more ice-time.

So no Gomez trade then… boo! Cause he is barely ever mentioned.

Haha… coffee snort.

29. mrhabby says:

your in love with MAB.

30. Storm Man says:

Someone has been doing homework. Very good call Andrew and nice pick-up on my clue.

Enough with the D already… even our depleted d corps can for the most part hold the fort. The team needs scoring (yes, apparently close to 30 mil tied in 5 players is not enough) and body presence up front. Other than Iginla, none of the other names mentioned are the answer for the Habs.

32. andrewberkshire says:

I’m getting ahead of myself as well, but damn. Can you imagine? 3 scoring lines… The future of the team looks very bright, and a couple big time prospects will likely be joining Hamilton next season in Kristo and Leblanc.

33. Rudy says:

I should know better than to take a drink before reading a Bugs post “Swahilian child of FOUR…..”

Excellent point made re scab and french media

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

34. andrewberkshire says:

The point is that Pouliot is serving the team more effectively on the 3rd line than he would on the 1st or second. By adding his scoring abilities to a 3rd line you’re forcing the opponent to defend more than just Plekanec and Gomez’s lines.

As for Eller being useless, that’s just not true at all. If not scoring = useless automatically, well that’s just a simpleton’s way of looking at it. And we all know you’re not a simpleton Bugs.

The fact is that this is a development year for both Eller AND Pouliot. They’re both learning on the job.

35. mrhabby says:

i like those words ..”utterly useless”.lol.

36. Storm Man says:

Hope it did not burn. 🙂

37. Storm Man says:

We need D come playoff time.

38. Rudy says:

While I hate rental players, and don’t believe anyone is going to get us any closer to the Finals (have to wait until next year with a healthy team), this would be a good deal. It would reduce minutes for Hammer, and hopefully keep Spacek on his normal side and reduce his minutes. Maybe it would give us a few more games in the playoffs.

39. Chuck says:

For those of you that like to watch Hab games, but prefer to stream the audio from CJAD:

40. andrewberkshire says:

I still don’t think it’s highly likely, but I think it’s more likely than most ‘rumours’.

41. andrewberkshire says:

The lack of scoring has nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with the way Jacques Martin coaches the team.

42. Mark C says:

Just having a little fun, Cat. Almost all rookies/young players take a seat from time to time. We’ve seen Del Zotto, Bogosian, and Seguin before have it happen to them this year, it’s not a big deal.

43. andrewberkshire says:

I agree that next year is more likely to be our year than this one. I guess what it depends on is if the price for Brewer is acceptable. I doubt he’d be had for anything less than a 2nd rounder, which even then is a stretch, so it probably isn’t worth it unless Gauthier thinks the team has a legitimate shot at winning the cup.

44. The Cat says:

Right…I knew that…

45. Rudy says:

When I stream the audio, the audio is always ahead of the game on the television, does that happen to anyone else? It reduces heart palpitations enormously!

46. habaddict_andy says:

Must be Avery than.

47. The Cat says:

Thats true, thats why only a D signing makes sense. Well to me.

48. Storm Man says:

Who knows what can happen in the playoffs? did you have the Habs in the ECF last year. I would like to see the D pairings like this .

PK- Hal

I think Price will take his game up a level come playoffs and show what he can do.

49. Bugs says:

“Out of the blue”? You mean TORONTO?

No. Way. C’mon?

50. Mark C says:

I’ll give you another name: Roman Polak. He’s 24, a RFA and it seems he might be passed on the Blues’ depth chart by at least four players this off-season. Given his price tag, I’m thinking the Blues might be willing to move him now. He plays a Josh Gorges type game, and has the ability to help cover for weaker defensive players like the Wiz.

51. Gormdog says:

Dang it. All sold out. Would be the perfect gift for a Brit friend of mine who is a Habs diehard but doesn’t speak a lick of french.

Watches every game on RDS (he doesn’t know “left” and “right” in french but uses the word “cafouillage” all the time), but the radio-to-dish delay for CJAD is unbearable…

52. andrewberkshire says:

Yes, but you can always trade future draft picks, ask Toronto!

53. Storm Man says:

When i see Toronto I dont see blue I see brown as in poo.

54. Mark C says:

Then it shouldn’t bug you.

55. Storm Man says:

We have no 2nd rounder to trade this coming draft.

56. SmartDog says:

I was a journalist too.. and now am a marketer, so I get where you are (I think) in trying to figure out the focus, style, etc.

Forgive if I fall into stereotypical thinking (one of the closer gay friends I’ve had used to belt out show tunes as he walked down the halls of McGill… it’s hard not to be influenced by that)… but a couple of thoughts.

I think you could talk about how the team “looks” in a way that would please and entertain both women and gay men.  And some of us regular guys who give a crap or like a laugh.  I’ve posted about who the best looking habs are.  Right or wrong you could probably do it with slightly more authority.  Who does the best celebration?  Who makes the best style statement – Pleks (turtlenck), Subban (floppy hat), Cami (shiny suits)?  etc.

There isn’t much (or enough) written about communication.  It’s deemed a touchy feely topic I think but my REAL backgrond is psych so I think it’s crucial.  And ignored.  And motivation too – tied with feelings so is also ignored.

As you say ‘Down Goes Brown’ and others just have their own spin… Im sure you could develop yours. As well as great plays and other important moments, it could include elements from those other themes – style, emotion, etc.  Pushing it you could (like my mother used to) emphasize with the opposing team’s goalie after we shell him for 5 or 6 goals (if that ever happens).  I mean, his kids might be watching right?

Again, forgive the stereotype leanings. I hope a bit of this is of use regardless. The important thing I think is to figure out your core tone and style, what you can highlight that others don’t but to make it as relevant as possible to a wide audience Hey, I’d read an article about who has the most style… or the prettiest wife… or which guy probably gets lucky more often.  Come to think of it, there’s lots of untouched stuff IMHO.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

57. andrewberkshire says:

This is true. What would you be willing to give up for a Brewer rental?

58. The Cat says:

I suppose there could be a forward but I dont think itll make headlines or anything.

59. andrewberkshire says:

Polak is a bruiser, but I’m not sure the Blues will be willing to trade a 24 year old. Especially since he’s their PK guy like Gill is to ours.

60. Storm Man says:

Yah but we dont trade like toronto we like to have a team that makes the playoffs.

61. andrewberkshire says:

Same here, which is why I wrote that blog. However even a trade might not be necessary this year with the development of Subban and Weber. Then again I don’t think we have a shot at the cup with Gorges and Markov out.

62. JD_ says:

* Love watchin’ Habs-Broonz games. Wanna see Timmy T. get lit up, Gionta grate on Chara’s nerves, and maybe another servin’ o’ SubBANG! if the hockey gods are up for it. Anythin’ that makes Milan cry would be a pure bonus. Bring it on, baby!

* From some Toronto Star piece written by a guy with huge glasses, “You can see that mountain growing in the way Kessel has been portrayed over his year and a half in Toronto. First, he was a godsend. Then he was aloof. Now he is The Man Who Stole the Future of the Toronto Maple Leafs.” For the record, many of us viewed Kessel as the latter from the get-go. So, Phil’s now gettin’ chewed up and spit out by the Toronna media because they don’t like his ‘tude. Maybe if, at the time of the trade, they’d put a call into Broonz head coach Claude Julien and asked for his thoughts regardin’ the l’il whippersnapper’s approach to things, there would have been no need to go on this long journey of discovery. Between Kessy, the overpaid and frequently overlibated and punchy back-end, and the least-liked NHL head coach as voted by the players, it must be one helluva good time in that stanky Loafs dressin’ room. Burkie’s many things, but effective chemist is not one of them.

* Speakin’ of Burkie, back at the time of the ASG draft, you know, before widespread PC issues cut me off from the Internet for a week and change, I joked that should Kessel end up bein’ picked last, Burkie would lose it. Little did I know. Think PG would have been bothered to bleat like a stuck pig if, say, Pleks had been there and gone last? Doubt it. Burdened with a sense of perspective, he seems. Only a complete buffoon like BB could get sucked into whinin’ about a perceived slight borne of the most banal of events. Goofball.

* Then there’s a guy like Peter “Never Say Over” Forsberg. Freakin’ warrior. From a front-row seat behind the net, watched him play when he was with Philly. Like a Soviet T-34 battle tank mowin’ down a Panzer division. I’m sincerely hopeful Foppa has somethin’ left in his tank and can end his career on some sort of high note.

* And congratulations also to new Chicoutimi Sagueneens head coach Guy Carbonneau. His vocation is coachin’ and most certainly not yappin’ with Alain Crete on RDS. Frankly, nobody deserves that fate. Ok, Pronger and Cherry, excepted. That would be somethin’, though, wouldn’t it? Cherry on RDS? I’d effin’ be willin’ to pony up dough to watch a PPV Le Coin du Coach.

* Richard Rodier, he who led Jim Balsillie’s hostile takeover attempt of the Phoenix ‘Yotes (TSNTalk™) has joined the ranks of Donald Fehr’s NHLPA. In other news, several stray cats have been reported missin’ in the general vicinity of league commish Gary Bettman’s home.

63. SmartDog says:

I thought you were going to say he’d be forced to admit that he’s gay AND likes hockey and they’d dip him in formaldehyde and put him under a glass somewhere.

64. SmartDog says:

Gill is tall and moves slowly?  Ya don’t say…

65. The Cat says:

Im happier than Gormdog on a Pride parade float that Halak finally had a good outting last night!

66. Mark C says:

You could be right, but it might be worth kicking the tires on, especially if they fall out of the playoffs. With Johnson, Pietrangelo, Jackman, Brewer (if signed), Colaiacovo, and Ian Cole, Jonas Junland, and Nikita Nikitin waiting in the wings, the Blues might not want to pay Polak the $2M+ he’ll get this off-season.

67. Jimmy9Toes says:

I talked to Shanny a bit, but not too much as I am sure he was tired from the whole weekend. But all in all very classy, like Nick Lidstrom, Kelly Hrudy and Rob Blake, who i all got my pic with.

68. SmartDog says:

Good use of ‘banal’.

69. andrewberkshire says:

Very true, but it seems from the reports that have been circulated around St. Louis that it’s Brewer who’s on the move most likely. And I would find it hard to believe that a team would trade its captain, then re-sign him in the offseason. That would be weird.

70. andrewberkshire says:

Me too, he’s been killing my big money hockey pool.

71. Storm Man says:

Not sure at this point.

72. SmartDog says:

NP, thanks for the kind comments. My title is ‘strategist’… I’ve always been an idea guy…

I don’t think you’d need to be an expert to throw some fun “other” angles in there like fashion and communication.  I think those are great topics that your traditional “macho” sportswriter (what they all seem to either be like or just ACT like) doesn’t know how to approach.  Sad as it is.  The more I think about it the more I think you’ve got a really big niche there if you want it.

73. Gormdog says:

Substitute “pride” for “Stanley Cup” and you’ve got it!

74. Gormdog says:

That’s what I’m hoping for!

Most of the “prominent” (first ones that appear on google) spend most of their time posting pictures of scantily clad attractive male athletes and Jiri Tlusty mirror shots. If my content was solid, I suspect I could get regular readership.

75. Bugs says:

With Cammy out, he certainly is NOT serving the team better on the 3rd, Berkie.

Eller can’t compete with the opposition. He is NEVER dangerous. He can’t win battles along the boards. He pushes himself so much to show he belongs that he forgets to pass the puck. Add to THAT the fact that a supposed top6 player is SUPPOSED score points, well, yes, Berkie, he’s utterly useless.

Poolio has three times the amount of points as Eller has playing his second full year, so no, he’s not “with Eller learning” this year, he’s a hell of a lot more, as his club-dominating goals-per-time on ice ratio clearly shows.

Finally, a game

The Canadiens are in the Motor City.

Maybe Scott Gomez and P.K. Subban will play.

Maybe they won’t.

Gomez hopes rest is tonic

Martin details Weber-Subban and his thoughts behind the situation: Stubbs column

Cam Cole blasts benching of P.K.

• Stubbs on some of the season’s better hockey books

• Pat Hickey on Jarred Tinordi

1. punkster says:

You need go no further than your first sentence. As for entertaining this guy is going to be entertaining Habs fans for years to come if he’s handled correctly now and if he learns to handle himself correctly going forward. And by that I mean in the hockey sense. He’s no Ovi, no Sydney. He’s PK and that in itself is more than enough.

***All You Need Is Love***

2. ctony says:

His defensive game is generally pretty good.  He’s a plus player and makes reasonably good decisions for a young, offensive defenseman.  JM had him on the ice in OT, after the dive on the previous Oiler goal.  So, there’s a little hypocrisy there in JM’s decision making.

Puck moving defenseman are always going to have more liabilities in the D-game than Rick Green (sorry, wrong era, Hal Gill) types.  They are also going to take more chances than D that move the puck with quick passes like Lidstrom.  But, they offer upside that is difficult to replicate.

JM’s system is dump and passive forecheck.  It was his system in Ottawa.  It was his preferred method in last year’s playoffs and he continues to use it now.  Gomez and Subban are two players that have some freedom and the skills to carry the puck up ice and try to win the offensive zone. Gomez seems to be reined in a little this season and Subban is sitting.

JM is not the perfect coach for PK.  JM is winning in Montreal.  If JM stays, the gap between PK’s potential and actual results are going to diverge and may result in him heading out.  Which would be sad.

3. BeachHabFan says:

he has ben great, but he has also been brutal (and thanks to RDS and much to the chagrin of my wife i do watch all the games, despite residing in the cesspool of professional sports known as Toronto).

i’ve criticized PK’s play a bunch all year. Last year he was quick and cool and sure of himself. Now he’s taking the extra turn that screws up the other 4 guys’ timing or leaves him a biit out of position, though luckily his speed has allowed him to recover a couple of times.

i truly believe JM is targeting bad habits rather than bad attitude or bad play, and getting some experience for weber at the same time. Markov is gone, Gorges is supposedly playing injured, Spacek and Hamrlik ain’t that young, so best to be prepared.

+/- is a team stat as well as a personal one (remeber how good komisarek was playing with Markov?) and being paired with Picard and then Gill had to have helped. The reason i bring up my personal issues with PK’s play are to support my argument/belief that Cole’s assumptions – that JM is tired of PK’s attitude or style of play, that the NHL is trying to squeeze the life out of him – ignores the obvious facets and problems with the kid’s game, throws out JM’s hockey knowledge in favour of total speculation, and takes his benching completely out of context

it’s just like when you or others question someone’s dedication to the team or being a “fan” (your quotes, not mine) because they see faults in someone’s play. it’s cheap, ignorant, without direct knowledge of the situation and generally completely wrong.

4. J_P says:

Well, he’s won just as many stanley cups as martin.

All he was saying is how he liked the character that PK brings to the game.  There’s a serious lack of character in the NHL.  How can you disagree? You actually enjoy the clichés that players spit out these days? You enjoy the fact that they are all completely devoid of character, and talk like robots? I know I dont.

5. Gormdog says:

There is lots to criticize, and there is lots to love.

JM is trying to cut out some of the critical stuff.

What Cole said, that was wrong, was his criticism of the Habs in how they are handling it. And you don’t see anything wrong with that, it seems.

How quickly some Habs “fans” turn on their coaches & management.

6. J_P says:

Excellent Post!

Carey Price has masked a lot of this teams mistakes all season with his excellent play.  If he had just good numbers (like a 0.92 SV% and 2.3 GAA) vs the out-of-this-world numbers that he currently has, considering how tight all our games have been, the habs would have a lot more losses.  If I remember correctly, people were crying for Spacek and Hamr to be benched for their TERRIBLE play through the first 15 games, and now all of sudden, PK costs us one game and he’s the goat.  Utterly ridiculous.

Just like last year in the playoffs.  If halak is just good instead of out-of-this-world, the habs dont make the ECF.  They don’t even get past washington.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

May not be the best match, but JM would be a fool to not know what PK offers his team in terms of talent, versatility and sheer puck-moving ability especially with Markov potentially done with MTL. Every team needs a defencemen who move the puck like Subban if they hope to contend for the big prize.

Subban is a key plank in the future of the team, the management knows it. They just want thim to do what he has done since juniors, show people he can grow his defensive game. He was a late-round OHL pick and went in the 2nd round of an average NHL draft because no one thought his D would ever go that far. At each level he’s had to shave some offence off of his game to play more defence. JM has given him a free hand at times because he knows what Subban gives him on the ice, but he also needs Subban to rein himself in at other times.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. Gormdog says:

Not to be a jerk but…. How?

You are talking about rearranging our entire D corps, or, putting two rookies on the same pairing with one playing on his off side.

You don’t do that going into a game against the best team in the NHL when your team is on a 3 game win streak, especially one where defence played such a huge role.

“adapt to it”. Why don’t you adapt to Martins effective coaching style?

9. J_P says:

PK has been one of our best defensemen all season long. I don’t know what team you’ve been watching all season.  Subban is Plus-6 on the season on a team that doesn’t score a lot of goals.  He has 9 points in 25 games as a rookie defenseman.

Like, to agree with the benching is one thing, to sit here and criticize PK’s play all of a sudden is ridiculous.  How quickly some habs “fans” turn on their players.

What did cole say that was so wrong? That he likes to see a little character from the players?

10. ctony says:

I agree with your you.  This Subban discussion is overdone.  JM (and hopefully, PK) know why he’s sitting and they are working together to develop the player.  In the mean time, the team is winning, so you (not you personally, fans in general) have to cut JM some slack.  For the record, I wouldn’t have benched PK.  But, I’m not privy to lockroom discussion and don’t have an NHL coaching background to lean on.

I don’t think PK and JM are the best match.  So, it wouldn’t surprise me to see PK move on, a la Leino, Pouliot, Lats, to find more success elsewhere.

11. ctony says:

double post

12. J_P says:

Its not that its a bad move, and its not like the benching is going to harm PK’s development.

However, PK is an extremely entertaining and electric component of an otherwise extremely boring to watch montreal canadiens team.

Its like Ovechkin.  Ovechkin seems to have been calmed down, and where he was once a fan favorite because he could lift you out of your seat at any given moment, now he’s just a plain bore to watch.  Maybe Washington will be a better overall team for it (because ovechkin is learning to use his teammates more), but they aren’t a fun team to watch anymore.

13. Gormdog says:

Good avatar, Great post.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Not at all, but whining about every soft-brained or borderline NHLer who hasn’t made the team is ridiculous, DET doesn’t turn all their picks into players either, nobody does. MTL always faces the issue of finding players who don’t crumble or become complacent under the bright lights of the Bell Centre, it’s harder to bring in the player who can handle playing in MTL while they battle unfair bidding in negotiation and free agency because of the tax rates here.

Pacioretty is in the AHL not because of JM but because it’s where he belongs, he never should’ve played on the team in 08-09 and probably spent most of 09-10 there as well. He’d be on the team right now if he had. Eller was being ‘ruined’ by JM until he started collecting points in the last stretch. Subban is getting his adjustment period to the NHL as well. Team can’t part the waves and roll down the red carpet for a rookie to do whatever he wants. Subban is a magnificent prospect in terms of raw talent and as one writer said “Subban enters the NHL as perhaps the best backwards skater in the league” but he needs to learn he’s on a whole new level of talent and his magnificent skating can’t get him out of trouble every time like it did in lower levels.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

15. jimmy shaker says:

I’m sure they can make it work, or adapt to it!

16. Gormdog says:

For some inexplicable reason, Pouliot is SO good in NHL11.

I think he’s bought into JM’s digital system.

17. Gormdog says:

They are still so jaded from the late 90’s early 00’s that they have this inherant need to whine about everything management does. We were a top 4 team in the league last year and you’d think by reading half these posts we were one of the 10 teams that are 100% worse off than we are in the East.

Seriously fans, in the East, which team would you rather have than the Habs?!?!?

Flyers, Pens, and Caps. Mayyyybe Bruins but i feel a bit dirty saying that. THat’s not a very long list!

18. ctony says:

Are you saying PK is going to fail here?

19. punkster says:

See now, this is what I’m talking about. It’s people like you who try to bring calm and rational thought to the conversation that we all have to beware of (ends sentence with a preposition).

Hey Doug, isn’t it great to have a team that has the luxury to sit a star rookie for a few games?

***All You Need Is Love***

20. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Get Down, everybody’s gonna leave their seat…….

You gotta lose your mind….

21. Say Ash says:

Get up, Everybody’s gonna move their feet…

22. coachdoug says:

Lol…Bud Light?  You don’t survive Alaska winters on that swill…probably a dark ale kind of guy I would guess…and I sure he packs a flask when he goes salmon fishing…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

23. punkster says:

That’s not the HI/O way. Get with the program GD. This place thrives of speculation, innuendo, fantasy and magic mushrooms. Trades and plays are developed based entirely on EA Sports NHL10 scenarios. Reasoning is for chumps. Logic for losers.

Come on man, get your head straight!

***All You Need Is Love***

24. ctony says:

You do realize that’s only a slight twist on Cherry’s and Richard’s complaints…

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Not everyone can succeed in the NHL and not everyone is going to respond to all coachs, Villa Leino is a star in PHilly but was a bum in DET. Pouliot is a far btter player here than he ever was in MIN. OB is in COL because he couldn’t take the pressure of MTL, Mazwell showed no kind of physical edge in his game until this season (And he’s on the shelf right now with injury in HAM). Latendresse undid himself by showing no effort, Pacioretty didn’t need to be playing in the NHL, he needed the time in the AHL to develop his talents (which is what he’s getting now).

Veterans who are 10, 15 years into the league are not going to really change their game and style, they are who they are more or less. Subban, Eller, Pouliot are all young players who Martin is trying to put a little bit of his influence into their game, like he did with Alfredsson, Hossa and Havlat in OTT years ago.

A lot of people here refused to give this team a chance beyond 8th seed to go into this season and that was packing Andrei Markov. Right now, the team has 15 wins without the star defencemen and the team doesn’t have 20+ losses to go with that figure. JM seems to know what he’s doing I’d say.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. coachdoug says:

PK will be fine…Martin is constantly getting flak for this and that but no credit for his excellent job…disciplined teams win Stanley Cups…everyone has a job to do…Webber is doing it and PK will too as he matures…Not a bad problem having two good defensemen coming up…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

27. BeachHabFan says:

I heard the Gomez injury was “strained pride” and he was nursing it with 350cc of Bud Light, but that’s probably just a rumour. Probably.

28. Gormdog says:

Pencils down, visors up!

29. ctony says:

Well said.  Yes, we’ve
    been winning. But, that doesn’t mean we’re perfect.

Your concerns are implicitly echoed here every time some
    says “<insert name of good team> will be a good test.”  There’s still some disbelief about our elite
    status.  Do we rely on superior
    goaltending or has JM elevated our collection of players into an elite TEAM.

Good coaches get players to conform to their system.  Great coaches find ways to use unique talent
    to create mismatches.  JM’s history
    suggests consistent 90+ point seasons with 2+/- playoff series. I don’t see him
    optimizing PK talents and I don’t see JM and PK together long term.

30. Gormdog says:

Yep. And this argument that we are going to “ruin” PK is so bogus it hurts my head. If PK is so frail that he can’t handle some criticism and negative media attention without sticking to his game (and by game i mean playing like the most complete defenseman on this team when he makes good desicions), then he will NEVER survive the long run in Montreal anyways.

May as well find out now if he can stand the heat, and if he can’t, well, i’m sure we can trade him out of the kitchen and get ourselves a whole bunch of nice stuff in return.

31. punkster says:

Good observations from Mr. Stubbs in the Subban/Weber article. Well done. The perfect counter to the silliness written by Cam Cole.

Something I really like about the way the regular Gazette sports writers and columnists go about their business is their delicate mix of professionalism and humour in their published work. They rarely utilize this platform to advance their own controversial or off the wall viewpoints or espouse the whisperings of that evil monkey in their closet. When they do decide to “go native” you can usually sense the tongue-in-cheek aspect of the comments or column.

OK…enough a** kissing for one day. Now get out there and dig up some dirt on this Gomez “injury”.

***All You Need Is Love***

32. Gormdog says:

They play on opposite sides. Who do you take off the right? Who do you play with Weber?

33. habaholic68NJ says:

Big Ted.  I do not disagree with most of your points but I think you need to read between the lines to why JM is making PK sit.  IMO, it is not because of the mistakes of the Edmonton game, though that was a convenient excuse to start sitting him.  They real problem may reside in PK’s attitude towards Habs veterans in the locker room and on the ice during practice.

Regarding his hockey development, no one questions PK’s skill level or whether to use it against other teams – the question is when to use this skill and when to play it safe.

34. habs03 says:

A big issue with getting PK back in the lineup is that he is a RH shot, who would of that with the lack of RH we have on this team. Gill-Gorges-Hamrlik-Spacek are set pairings for JM, leaving Picard and Weber as the last pairing, If JM wants to put P.K. in he has to take Weber out unless he wants to change the formation of the whole D. Jm won’t be able to just set Picard out and play Weber and Subban together, and the way Weber has played I don’t see how a coach can send that msg to the rest of the team. What I’d love to see is Hamrlik-Subban,Gill-Georges, Spacek (On the left side)-Weber. So does JM sit P.K again, or set Weber or play him as a forward (sending a bad msg to the rest of the team), or set Picard for Subban and change the Hamrlik-Spacek pairing.

35. Psycho29 says:

The team is winning….so I guess this is the best people can find to complain about…

I like Subban, he’s a great player, I even bought his sweater a few weeks ago….

Even Guy Lafleur sat out games his first couple of seasons. We have to remember he’s only 21 and probably hasn’t fully matured yet. (sounds familiar????)…I think he will play in TO….what better way to come back, in his home town!!

You can criticize Martin all you want….but he’s coaching a winning team, without Markov…Subban and Halak! 🙂

36. BeachHabFan says:

i guess cole hasn’t seen much of PK’s too-long own-end windups, his trademarked and brutally obvious telegraphed slapper from the point (and resulting, inevitable, broken stick or blocked shot), the peewee style flopping to the ice to catch up to the play, and the high risk no-use passes that have snuffed out more than a few up-ice or power play rushes before they ever led to the 2 edmonton goals. if Martin can stand Lapierre, he can stand Subban, and he has coached some real doozies previously (Chris Neil, anyone?). And given the uproar and adulation that PK has generated out of the MTL faithful, i can’t imagine Habs management want him to tone it down at all. I love PK but I think he was better in the playoffs last year than he has been most of this year, maybe because he played with a little more conservatism (and i love the fact he pisses people off and gets them off their game) BUT i think Cole is putting a lot of thoughts into people’s heads and it was a very one-sided and biased editorial. i realize that’s what an editorial is after all, but I have to say I strongly disagree.

37. RiverviewCanadien says:

So you are a troll? Or a fisherman?

How could anyone sense any sarcasm from that?

38. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll take a winner from Pleks!!!

39. jimmy shaker says:

Good read, agree with ya!  This guy is a very real candidate for the calder……get him back in there and let him do his thing, he is by far our best overall d-man.  If Boyd is in for Gomez, then PK has to get in for PIcard.  NO slagging on Picard, it is what it is, a hockey decision.  Make it happen JM.

40. Mattyleg says:

Uhh… I was unable to get onto this site since 7.00 until just now.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. RiverviewCanadien says:

You hit the nail on the head. Great post.

It amazes how much fans bitch and are never pleased, the team is on a winning streak and they complain. Honestly, how can anyone criticize anything this Club is doing?

42. ths says:

You wanna go ?

Whats the code for source fighting ??

43. matraque says:

So easy to catch fishes in here…

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

44. RiverviewCanadien says:

They will win, but it will be Pleks scoring the winner…

Enjoy the game, you lucky bast… 😉

45. Gormdog says:

The funny part about all these posts are the fans who seem to think benching PK is JM’s FIRST option in light of what seems like disobediance, lack of professionalism, and bad decision making on the ice.

How do we know that JM hasn’t had a meeting once a week with PK where he’s said “play your game, within the system, and just for the love of god don’t give away games by lying down in the offensive zone”. After so many meeting WITHOUT a benching, what do you do?

The point is we don’t know what’s happened behind closed doors. Once we lose, and THEN PK sits, well, THEN we have a problem. For now Martin is sticking with a winning lineup and teaching PK a little somethign about team play, something he’s been slowly forgetting as his star shines brighter and brighter.

Habs fan LOVE to complain. I mean 400 words on a non issue?

46. jimmy shaker says:

8th row behind the net.  I’ll see Price/habs defend their zone twice, and maybe get on TV as CBC is carrying the game tonight.  Also, hoping to see the boys at the windsor airport as they shuttle on the bus back to Windsor after the game to fly out to Toronto….should be a great night……if they win and PK scores the winner!

47. habfan53 says:

Here is a link to a FORBES article on the Molson’s Purchase of the Canadiens .

48. jimmy shaker says:

It is a very weird coincidence that since Cherry and Richards opened their yap about PK, his play really seemed to tail off.  The first 10 games or so, he was a very legitimate shot for the calder but has dropped out of the race since.  I hope he’s in tonight and he doesn’t change his style of play, but just makes better decisions while he’s out there.  I’ll be at the Joe cheering the boys on with the rest of the so called “hockeytown” fans cheering for the redwings or waiting for a kid rock song to play over the P.A. system.

49. Big Ted says:

PK has a lot to learn, like any rookie, but he is miles ahead of any first-year player we have had in many many years. I doubt another rookie could have stepped into last year’s playoffs when we were on the brink of elimination and help us the way he did. It doesn’t mean we have to love everything about the way PK plays, but I’d rather let him play his game than try to turn him into Josh Gorges or Jaro Spacek. Yes, those guys play the system well and contribute to our team, but if a guy has talent like Subban has talent, letting him make a few mistakes is the trade off for a guy who can carry the puck like no other defenceman on our team, who can throw hits to make a statement, and who is not afraid to go toe-to-toe with any opponent. For at least 15 years, maybe even longer, we have been a team that has failed to physically intimidate opposing teams and that has been run over by bigger teams like Philadelphia or Boston in the playoffs. Even when we have beat these squads, we’ve come out limping and been unable to sustain playoff runs much further. I personally think we need more players like PK on our team and I’d rather have 6 PK’s than 6 Gills or 6 Hamrliks. As I said when we fiorst found out PK was going to sit, I am happy Weber was getting a shot to play the position he naturally should be playing, rather than as a 12th forward where he has little chance of success, but PK is far from being the only D-man on this team who has made mistakes this year yet he is the only one to have been punished for it. My problem is not so much that JM wanted to send a message to him, it’s that JM chooses whom he wants to send messages to and it’s always the younger players who sit for mistakes and the veterans who play 20 minutes a game whether they play well or not. Latendresse? Pacioretty? Subban? Pouliot? Maxwell? O’Byrne? All young guys who have been benched or sent to the stands when instead, the coaching staff should be more lenient of guys who are trying to learn the game. Gomez? Spacek? Gill? Gionta? Cammalleri? Hamrlik? Moen? Lapierre? All veterans who have made bad plays this year and who have been thrown back into the mix and in some cases, given line promotions. Yes, we’ve been winning more often than losing this year, but is it really due to JM, or is it due to great goaltending and the play of a handful of guys each game? Many of our supposed star forwards have under-performed and many of our veteran D have been beat for breakaways because of bad pinches and slow skating. yet Carey and Plekanec and halpern have bailed us out on a number of occasions and so the coach looks good because at the end of the day, no one remembers the way we won 20 games ago, just that the W’s outweigh the L’s in the stats column. And yes, if we take that all the way to a Cup, that would be great, but at a certain point we have to talk about the sustainability of the way we’re playing and without stellar play from Price and Pleks game in game out, I don’t see that happening under JM. PK is a guy who brings added elements to our game and gives us other ways to get the job done and Martin has continued to stuff all his players through the same square hole. But when Carey hits a slump or we lose a key guy or two to injury up front, I’d like to see then if his system of slow and steady play holds up and I’d venture a guess that it won’t.

50. habfan53 says:

With Hamarlik, Spacek and Gill getting up there in age and Markov’s future unsure I don’t see management moving PK anytime soon.  Even for Iginla

51. RiverviewCanadien says:

That is a great Christmas gift from the wife…should be a great hockey team, two of the best.

52. RiverviewCanadien says:

So you are a PK fan and not a Habs fan? Good Riddance, as they say “Don’t let the door hit you in the ass!”

53. ctony says:

The PK discussion is slowly and quietly morphing from his play costing us the Edmonton game to a young, yappy guy that JM is helping grow.  When he gets back into the lineup, I hope JM green-light’s rushes.  The tentative version of Subban we saw in several of his last few games might shackles his game-breaking talents.  Someone needs to cultivate that part of his game.  Can we bring in Chelios or Coffey as a PK-consultant?

54. RiverviewCanadien says:

Sorry wrong reply

55. jimmy shaker says:

Great read by Cole, agree 100%.  Hope he’s in tonight as I would love to see him as I’ll be at the Joe cheering on the habs.  Great Christmas present from the wife, may I add!

56. HabsFanInTampa says:

Who’s this Cam Cole guy? And has he coached anywhere as near as the 1000+ or so games that “dull” Martin has coached?

57. Gormdog says:

My source can beat up your source

58. RiverviewCanadien says:

That would be awesome!

59. ctony says:

I hope your people are wrong.  But, if he has to go out west, I prefer he lands in Edmonton.  It would be nice to see them rebuild with a Coffey-esque, puckrusher.

60. ths says:

My source says he switches with Iggy next week

61. Gormdog says:

I gotta source that says PK sits tonight and then switches in with Weber tomorrow night regardless of tonights result.

You heard it here first!

62. ths says:

Bring in Sean Avery

63. Kappy says:

Wow, this PK thing has officially gone too far. That Cam Cole article is ridiculous… Jump to conclusions much? It amazes me that this site can be “doom & gloom” during a 3 game winning streak, where they won all 3 games without PK. I guess that is why there is twice as many posts after a loss then a win. Some people just gotta bitch. PK will be back soon and be the same player he has always been. In the words of Carrie Price “CHILL OUT”.

64. G-Man says:

article- if you’re going to keep re-posting, spell check it. JOKE

65. NashvilleMatty says:

Hmmm, let me see here, who probably has a better handle on the Subban situation….the guy who has coached over 1000 NHL games, or some writer from Vancouver?  I wonder….

66. Habsone says:

Great artical Cam Cole!!  Martin wants to make the kid as dull as himself!!  Joke!!

67. habfan53 says:

I just read that former Canadien (2 games) Vic Lynn passed away in Saskatoon at the age of 85. What made Lynn unique was that he PLAYED for all 6 original 6 teams in his career.

68. ths says:

My Calgary people are telling me PK is pulled while they work out the Iggy trade.

69. krob1000 says:

Was watching the Jay Leno show last night…..Halle Berry was on……she was disucssing her upcoming movie and made the same (white vs right) slip when talking as Darren Pang did…just thought I’d mention that given the timing.

70. G-Man says:

CamCole’s article is the height of blessed ignorance of Habs management and how they want to make Subban a professional in all aspects of the word.

Frankly, I am glad Martin is “dull”. I am tired of fiery coaches who cannot handle athletes and improve them, as Martin has. This team, without Subban and Markov in the lineup, continues to win.

Detroit tonight provides us all with a measuring stick of how good this edition of the Habs is just a little beyond the quarter pole of the season.

Btw, Subban will become a great player for the Habs. When the coach believes he is good and ready and not before.

71. Habsone says:

72. matraque says:

I’m going to stop being a Habs fan if PK “Prime Time” Subban is not playing tonight.

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice to get some news on Tinordi, been worried about his numbers this season.

Granted, the Knights have been crap this season, most of their wins came from their first 15 games, right now they’re 3-7-0 on their last 10.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

74. says:

He was quotable. He was fun-loving. He was cocky. He chirped at opposing
    players more famous than himself. He refused to bow and kiss the hems
    of their robes just because he was a rookie. He drew the ire of Sidney
    Crosby and Mike Richards and eventually — though he was playing like a
    Calder Trophy candidate most nights — this outrageous non-conformity of
    his could no longer be tolerated by the world’s dullest hockey coach,
    Jacques Martin.

PK hasn’t been the same since Cherry and Mike “I cry myself to sleep” Richards went public with him.

I love PK’s style.  He brings excitement to the game.

The Edmonton game was a few mistakes that cost us a game, but what is going on now could cost us a career player with character.

I’ll be disappointed if PK is not in the lineup tonight.  The Red Wings are one of THE best teams on the planet.  When we beat these guys I hope PK is there at ice level.

Back to Back on the way.

Go Canadiens Go