Moishes charity dinner sells for $3,300

Moishes lineup

Five days of bidding and 52 offers later, following a goofy tweet in which I challenged Canadiens’ Colby Armstrong to tweet a photo of himself during an exhibition game, a whopping $3,300 will be going to The Gazette Christmas Fund.

Six Canadiens, a popular former member of the team and I will soon be entertaining the highest bidder and their guest at a dinner at Montreal landmark Moishes, this following a charity auction that ended Tuesday at 11 am ET.

Every penny of the winning bid will go to The Gazette Christmas Fund, which for more than four decades has annually helped less fortunate Montrealers with a gentle, welcome hand during the holidays.

Go here for details and for the link to the bid page.

(For those who didn’t bid, did so unsuccessfully or might otherwise like to offer a dollar or two to The Gazette Christmas Fund – every cent makes a difference in the lives of those who can use a hand – please go here to make a donation.)

Our thanks to all who took part in the bidding, to Moishes (especially co-owner Lenny Lighter) for their warm hospitality, and certainly to the players who have responded wonderfully to my request that they join us for the evening, which promises to be memorable in every sense.

It’s amazing what one innocent tweet has produced, thanks to Colby Armstrong, Mathieu Darche, Josh Gorges and the players who have since pitched in. A little background follows:

Story behind the auction – or how good sports Colby Armstrong and Mathieu Darche scored a free dinner

Background on the photo that started it all

1. Habsrule1 says:

Hey…this is for Dave Stubbs.

Great job with the charity dinner. If you want to turn it up a notch, perhaps ask each player to match the winning bid??

Despite the lockout, I assume they could all afford it and that would be an AMAZING gesture this time of year.

Just a thought.

Go Habs Go!!

2. Cal says:

For those who may have missed PK on the local weather:

3. JohnBellyful says:

The federal government needs to take a long, hard look at the harm being done by the supposed stewards of Canada’s favourite sport. Their lockout is causing fans a great deal of pain.
    It’s not the first time teams’ loyal followers have suffered at the hands of the NHL and the players’ association. Work stoppages have become the norm and fans should expect more of the same in the future. But even with that knowledge, most will not give up their love of the game.
    It’s an addiction, really, a form of self-abuse that most devotees of the sport are powerless to stop. But that doesn’t mean the federal government shouldn’t try, or at least prevent the next generation from getting hooked on hockey.
    How? Do what was done to curb smoking: Use graphic images to deter the young from taking up a habit that saps the soul and ruins lives.
    Where would these images be found? On every game ticket.
    What would they show? Fans whose chests have been ripped open and their hearts torn out. Fans banging their head against a rec room wall covered with their favourite teams’ memorabilia. Fans bug-eyed and drooling, strumming their lips with their fingers. Fans with bags over their heads. Plastic bags.
    Season passes would be even more graphic: photos of Bettman and Fehr smiling.
    The photos would come with hard-hitting messages, of course: Hockey Causes Heartbreak; Hockey Is A Major Cause Of Cardiac Arrest; When You’re Watching Hockey, You’re Not Living Life; Being A Bruin Fan Lowers Your IQ.
    And detestimonials:
    ‘I wish I had never started following hockey. I used to be a happy-go-lucky person, with a good-paying job, a lovely wife and three great kids. Then my boss gave me tickets to a Leaf game. It’s been downhill ever since.”
    The anti-cigarette campaign had an impact on the cancer sticks industry. A similar campaign could do likewise with the hockey sticks people.

• frontenac1 says:

Ah JB!! Love your stuff, but ya lost me with that government stuff . I love the Booze ,Broads ,Smokes. Sinatra,Habs and all of the other fine things in life.
      Its all about the Karma Amigo.

• Bripro says:

WARNING: Watching hockey is like listening to hip hop! It’ll turn you into a bleeping idiot!
      WARNING: This season pass has sharp edges. Do not hold this pass!
      AVERTISSEMENT: Lire ce message en anglais est un danger à la santé!

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

Is there a way that the Fed. Gov’t can get extra tax revenue out of this idea, or perhaps include pictures of the different Federal Leaders on the tickets.

I am not sure I buy I ticket with those mugs on them. Ahead of the curve again JB.

• ABHabsfan says:

Exchange hockey fans for Leaf fans in this comment and every line still applies. Kinda makes it funnier…

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• JohnBellyful says:

I chose a Leaf reference because citing the most extreme example of how much damage the sport can do to a person serves as its greatest deterrent.
        Besides, any time you mention Leaf always evokes a laugh.

ROFLM*AO!

4. punkster says:

PK doin’ the weather on CTV Montreal in 2 minutes…fer reelz.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. The Dude says:

Gomez didn’t score again ;)

6. punkster says:

I’ve been through divorces that took less time than this to resolve…more than once!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. frontenac1 says:

50/50 split , 24 teams, get rid of instigator rule, enact no touch iceing, and Dump Bettmans Carcass in the Lachine Canal. Everything else is “academic” Amigos. Viva La Revolucion!

8. Old Bald Bird says:

We chanted, “Go Habs Go.” And sure enough, they’ve gone.

So we should have been chanting Go Bettman Go or Go Fehr Go. Doh!!!

• HabFab says:

Jim still powerless?

• Bripro says:

He posted this morning. I haven’t seen anything since.

*********************************************

Sounds like it may take up to 10 days for Jim to get power back. Chrisadiens may have to get the fold out couch ready for company! :)

• Bripro says:

Saying that reminds me of the ice storm of ’98. Most areas were without power for 5-10 days. A few areas, like our town, were out for almost 3 weeks.
            On the 28th day, while watching my neighbours directly across the street light up the neighbourhood, I called Hydro.
            “Your entire region has power sir.”, the snippy little b***h told me.
            “I’m standing in my kitchen and it’s -6 degrees here, and no, we and 5 other homes on our side of the street have no power.”
            Hydro were there in 45 minutes and 2 hours later, there was light!!!
            Mercy!
            I certainly hope Jim doesn’t have to live through that.

• frontenac1 says:

I hear ya Bri! Ice Storm 98 lost power for a week. Took me and my Neighbour 4 days to cut our way out with chain saws to get to the store.for milk,beer and smokes! Nothing wwas going to stop us! Hola!

9. Mr. Biter says:

As we head to a lost season we should remember 2 things.
    !) Bettman is the spokesman for the owners. They tell him what they want said. Better fans mad at one person than 30.
    2) Fehr tells the players what they want (and allegdly deserve) and they go out and rip Bettman to the public while Fehr sits on the sideline with the sad face saying all we want is a fair contract.
    BTW, how 3rd and 4th line players on 1 year contracts or on last year of a huge contract will be re-signed next year.No doubt as they’re driving truck next year they will have fond memories of Fehr.
    Remember “The Golden Rule”. He with the Gold rules and the owners have the gold.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• shiram says:

Neither the Owners or the NHLPA is on the fans side, so neither side is getting my support because both sides are guilty of depriving me of hockey, everything else is just trying to win the PR battle.

• Bripro says:

“Bettman is the spokesman for the owners. They tell him what they want said. Better fans mad at one person than 30.”

Remember that during the meeting where the players brought three proposals, it took Bettman and cie all of 15 minutes to turn it down.
      There was no consulting owners, there. There might have been calling one or two, although I would think that Fehr would have noticed that and publicly said something. Bettman does as he pleases within the parameters set forth by a few owners, at best.
      Poorer clubs and fans be damned!

• HabFab says:

The owners won’t negotiate the players proposal and the players won’t negotiate the owners proposal. Neither side is interested in what the other is offering…impossible to get a deal based on that. IMHO both sides entered this looking for a victory only, no compromise deals. Hope to blazes that I’m wrong.

• Bripro says:

Then if that’s the case, it’s time for a mediator.

• ABHabsfan says:

Ken Dryden for mediator. Politician, lawyer, hockey-man; the only human that fits the criteria IMO

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
            Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

It is my understanding that both sides had earlier agreed upon HRR and that they were moving forward based on that agreed upon definition. When the NHLPA gave their 3 proposals, all 3 had a new definition of HRR therefore when the PA (Fehr) said they had proposals reaching 50/50 they were disingenuous or perhaps Full of CowPoop. That is why all 3 offers were rejected immediately.

BOth sides have Poop on their face in my opinion. Fehr new his proposals were a giant step back in negotiations as the good faith of determining HRR was then thrown out the window.

• Bripro says:

I don’t disagree with that Gerry, but there’s a more diplomatic alternative.
          “Sorry boys, but this is where you are, and this is where we want to be.
          What do we do about it?” And the negotiations continue.
          That’s what they should have done.
          Agreed, they’re both full of dungy doo.
          But I said on here when the NHLPA announced they had hired Fehr, that this would happen. Convinced!
          And it took him and Bettman how long before they even initiated discussions?
          It’s spoiling my appetite!

• Mr. Biter says:

IF you’re told that this a take it or leave it offer, you don’t have to wait long to make your statement.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• ont fan says:

I just heard 40% of NHL players make $1 m dollars or less and 1/2 the players are on the last year of their contracts. Is that true?

• Bripro says:

Great read. Thanks Frank. They should photo-shop that sweater, though.

10. shiram says:

Apparently a KHL owner and his security people beat up one of his own player between periods and left him lying there on the ground.

So what was Cammy complaing about again when he was traded?&?

• mark-ID says:

Wow…this must be another NHL PR move……they pay a team in the KHL to kick the snot out of one of their own players, leaving NHL players wanting nothing to do with playing overseas…..and accepting anything NHL throws at them. haha

• Timo says:

Read the original post – holy crap. Even by russian standards that’s pretty scary.

Cammy should be hit in a head with this article.

• Bripro says:

I assume you’re referring to the translation, right?
        I don’t know which translator they used, but I hope they didn’t pay for it.

• Timo says:

I read first couple of lines and decided I will be better served reading in Russian.
          “Holy crap” is in reference to the incident though.

• Bripro says:

That is a luxury you have my friend.
            Me? French, english and a little spanish. That’s it.
            And google translate.

• Mr. Biter says:

In Soviet Union acts like this tends to make the players to give 100% every shift.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• HabFab says:

Not a KHL team, more like an AHL or ECHL level. Still pretty barbaric… definitely not in BGL’s Code.

Hmm Markov bruised ribs, leaves the KHL back for Montreal….. just sayin’ :)

11. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no. 17

Cue the music!

When I was young, TV made hockey so wonderful,
    Ice miracle, talent was beautiful, magical.
    And all fans in the stands well they’d be cheering so happily,
    Joyfully, watching the game for a small fee.
    But then along came the day the league hired the non-sensical,
    Bettman who’s, personality is archeological
    And then he taught us a world where those we’d trust weren’t dependable,
    Or ideological; not practical but cynical.

There are times when all the world can see
    Incompetence runs too deep
    For that little dweeb of a man.
    Won’t you please, Gary tell us what you’ve learned
    We don’t care for the absurd
    But tell Fehr the players can

Now we’ve heard what you said trying to appear radical,
    But we know, you’re no more than a criminal.
    Won’t you bring back the game, we’d like to feel you’re respectable
    Even though, both of you are despicable!

Hockey nights, for all the world to see
    The games that follow me
    ‘Cause I’m such a loyal fan.
    Won’t you please, Don tell us what you’ve learned
    It’s time for their return
    The players to a man.

• Cal says:

I knew it was only a matter of time before Supertramp got the HIO treatment. Nicely done, Bri! :D

• Bripro says:

Thanks Cal. I was trying to imagine Bettman as a singer (from your earlier post)…. too nasal for my liking.

• Cal says:

Just try to imagine one of the little people from the Wizard of Oz singing the Lollipop Guild song and you’ll have Bettman’s singing voice.

:D

12. mark-ID says:

Good stuff Stubbs….the highest bidder has paid over $3000 towards charity for a dinner with you….hope you have some good jokes lined up ;P

As for the list of 7 other ‘guests’…….are they basketball players…..or baseball? Mixed Martial artists? no…….socc…..ahh who cares. Clearly that list of unemployed people isn’t the allure. Dinner with Stubbs!!

They’re listed above…

• mark-ID says:

it’s a joke…..as in if they aren’t playing hockey…what makes them so special.

• Bripro says:

Ooohhh. Missed that. Oops. Duh..

13. habsfan0 says:

What if the winner of the charity dinner prefers to be entertained at Schwartz’s rather than Moishes?

The ambience at Schwartz’s is so much better!

14. Xsteve50 says:

If and when this season starts I do not think it would be possible to get fans to boycott games. Tickets, at least here in Montreal, are too hard to come by, and too expensive to toss in the garbage. A viable option would be to attend the game but spend 0.00$ extra…not a beer, not a hotdog, no inside parking, no popcorn, nothing. Try that for the first 5 games back, league wide and see what the owners think.

15. Cal says:

A 50/50 proposal is better than 100% of zero. This is what the players face. Many owners are multi-national corporations which use money-losing franchises as write-offs. The players are in a no-win situation, just as any other locked out or on strike employee would be. No matter what the “gain” is, the dollars lost by being out of work will never be recouped. Fehr must negotiate based on the owners last proposal or he will lose the season.

• Old Bald Bird says:

If the owners are so content to lose money, why are they bothering with all of this?

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, more or less.

The NHL wants to negotiate on their terms because it’s their business. They’re in the driver’s seat.

These billionaire owners have spent their lives making money hand over fist. They’re shrewd and rude, and will only operate the league under terms that will allow them to make a profit. Does anyone really think the PA will win this boardroom battle? :)

They’re waiting for the silent majority of NHL players, the ones who will suffer if the season is cancelled, to speak up.

• Blondie says:

The NHL does not want to negotiate. They want to dictate.

If they’re so damn bright why do they need a hard cap and restrictive rules to keep themselves from doing stupid things. Why do they insist on maintaining teams in markets that won’t work?

• Ozmodiar says:

I think the cap might have something to do with controlling expenses. :)

• Blondie says:

Yep. That was the propaganda last lockout and lost season. Achieved their “cost certainty” and everything was going to be hunky-dory. Then they spent the next seven years working feverishly to circumvent it.

16. Kooch7800 says:

Wow, the Red Sox Hire Butterfield Away From Blue Jays. Their coaching staff has just been poached.

Only positive I am not sure how great they will do in boston as their roster is not so great anymore either!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

You currently have two beancounters running the jays, they get more excited looking at calculator and having dirty thoughts than anything else in life.

Until the Jays get a real GM who isn’t a yes man to Beeston who suddenly thinks he was the genius behind the 92-93 Jays they are dead in the water from a win loss perspective.

In the meantime Rogers is probably experiencing record profits.

I have tried for 15 years to become a Jay fan and they are now dead to me.

I guess I am just a baseball fan with no team to cheer for now. But it won’t be the Jays again, unless I see drastic changes.

• Kooch7800 says:

It is tough cause the Jays when I was a kid were so good. Now they are a joke and it shows in the attendance.

They really should have went after Fielder in the off season. He would have been a great power to add to the line up.

The big key will be who they pick as a manager. I had hoped farrell would have been better but in the end I was not overly impressed with his skills as a head skipper.

They are in dire need of pitching in a bad way. They dont’ have much of a choice to do something drastic this off season and if they don’t the fans will be pissed. They hyped up last season as an up and coming team and they had a horrible season riddled with injuries and poor pitching.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bleedhabs81 says:

Alright A jays discussion! My alternate name is Bleedsjays… sad, but true.

Alright, I am wading in here. I don’t think they are that bad when healthy. I think the injuries just showed a lack of depth. Depth players are like 3rd and 4rth liners… obtainable

IMO, the need two solid (one of them a high end) pitchers… a left fielder and a few minor tweeks. I don’t think they need a complete overhaul at all.

Postion by Position break down:
          P – Morrow can be the ace, and Ricky still has the dirty stuff (he just doesn’t seem to want to throw it for strikes). Ricky’s biggest problem was the walk… you just can’t walk people like that. He still kills worms and logs tons of double play balls. I am not ready to toss him away yet (maybe one more year like the last and I will change my tune)… just throw strikes – so, 2 more solid pitchers would shore that staff up.

C – Arencibia. His average is only going up, his defence is no longer a liability, and his power numbers will be even higher if he keeps his hand behind his back when there are no baserunners on!

1st – EE/Lind – EE, well, I think he will maintain. Lind had a .300+ average when he came back and was spraying the ball everywhere. Linds worst enemy is his head. Keep that straight and he is dangerous.

2nd – ???? I like Hech as a option unless there is a game changer to be had. He regularly got a hit. Like 8 games in a row… ONE HIT.

SS – Eyeblack Escobar – great D, bad attitude(??) and an off year at the plate… maybe next year he is back to the 270 hitter

3rd – Lawrie. He will stop throwing the ball away on impossible plays and he will lead the league in WAR for his position.

LF – ? Like 2nd, could use Gose… but a big bat would be nice

CF – Rasmus – no idea???? shows great skills, looks good, spends a month struggling… one more year to show me what he can do. I see lots of potential…

RF – JOSE! still one of the best all round players in the league. Mark it.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the biggest immediate hurtle (other than coaching) is pitching. They really need to have a proper Ace. No offence to Ricky but man he looked terrible out there the last half of last year. He lost his Mojo really badly. That doesn’t mean he can’t come back and be great though. Morrow is a decent pitcher with great strikeout ability but his consistency he really needs to work on along with his stamina to go deep in a game. The Jays honestly need to strong starting pitchers to be added.

2nd base is the next biggest glarring hole. Aaron Hill should not have been moved. They will need to look at a trade I think for this position.

If the pitching is not addressed in the off season the Jays will be in a similar position again next year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

kooch7800:

I agree with you regarding their pitching.

On Hill, he had to be moved. He had two terrible years for Toronto and clearly needed a change of scenery. That said, it looks like A.A. lost that deal pretty handily. Hill is very talented and seems to have found his confidence in Arizona.

I think the Jays will make a push at one of the free-agent pitchers this year. I think they went after Darvish pretty hard, but lost out to Texas on the posting bid, which was VERY steep. Darvish would have been a perfect addition for the Jays though.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Pitching wins championships, so yes, more pitching.

I disagree with your assesment of Morrow. He was money this year. I didn’t see the same infrequencies this year in Morrow that I have seen other years.

Instead of being lights out and then mortal and then lights out and then mortal, he was consistentantly dominant game in and game out up until his 60day stint on the DL. Obviously there will be a little rust when you miss 2 months and have to come back and pitch to major league hitters who are in mid-season form.

3 complete game shut-outs before the all-star break would tell me that he has no problem going deep into games. He is pitching to contact now and ripping the strike outs when he gets to two strikes or in trouble.

• mdp2011 says:

“I guess I am just a baseball fan with no team to cheer for now” Yup, pretty much sums up how I feel since the Expos left.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I disagree with your statements about the GM. I was never a Blue Jays fan, but I have come around to them in the last couple of years, specifically because of the work of the GM Alex Anthopoulos (a Montrealer, by the way). I got to meet the man last year at a Blue Jays scout school and I can tell you that there is definitely a method to the way they are doing things now.

Anthopoulos has actually done a great job in acquiring some pretty high-end youtful talent through trades. He brought in Lawrie, Escobar and Rasmus without giving up much. He also pulled a fast one on Anaheim by trading a Gomez-esque contract in the Vernon Wells trade. He has drafted a ton of talented pitching in the last two years.

The Jays have a bright future, but they need one or two quality starting pitchers to make a playoff push right now while they wait for the young pitchers to develop. Neither Romero or Morrow are aces, so they need to bring in one more than any other position of need.

As for not signing Fielder, Anthopoulos talked about it when I met him last year, and the Jays seem to be acquiring ATHLETIC players. While Fielder is a great hitter, locking in a player of his body type to an 8-year deal worth over $200 million isn’t a sound business decision. The Tigers probably wouldn’t have done it if Victor Martinez was healthy. I like Prince but he did nothing for the Tigers in the World Series and I can’t imagine what kind of contributions they’ll get from him seven years from now.

The biggest problem for the Blue Jays is their division. They would probably compete if they were in another division, but the Yankees and Boston will always spend, and Tampa Bay and Baltimore have stockpiled a lot of young talent as well, so there are no easy games in that division.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I am tire of the division excuse. Yes the East is tough but why? Because Tampa has been able to use a good run in the basement and stockpile youth and talent and then manage that talent and replace them when they get too expensive for the last 10 years?

or because Boston and NY have large payrolls and can be as deep as they want?

Well, Tampa is well managed… so ya, we could use that

Toronto is in the 4th largest (potential) market in all of baseball, Rogers is loaded, and his payroll is mid range to low ????? So, in theory, they could spend like the Yankees or Red Sox.

Traditionally, they play well in the East (not this year) so the problem seems to be inter-league and beating the bottom feeders in the West and Central.

17. bleedhabs81 says:

I am sure this has already been posted in some form or another, but I think the only real way to get the owners and players on the same page quickly is an honest and resounding message from the fans.

I am not sure how or what, but something that tells the owners and players that IF any more of the season is lost, you will also loose me as a fan (maybe for a specified time, maybe forever…)

I imagine that the number of people willing to voice their distain would only be a drop in the bucket though.

• Mattyleg says:

I think that the groundswell of fan interest that followed the last lockout would make any promises of boycotts sound hollow.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

It would be something if people would agree not to buy NHL merchandise. They want to argue about how to split all the revenue, well maybe we should make it a little smaller so it is easier to split ;)

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bleedhabs81 says:

I completely agree. I just wished people would actually boycott, even for a month or so…

but I guess, when you have already paid for season’s tickets (they are holding the money for next year… at least that is how Calgary works), you don’t really want to forfiet them or not use them, unless you truly are done with the sport (quite the waiting list to get them I hear).

18. Mattyleg says:

OH NO!!
    Not the Winter Classic!! C’mon! It’s a CLASSIC!!

If the NHL cancels a US-based gimicky money-spinning stunt between two random teams in the middle of the afternoon in the meaningless first 1/3 of the season then I will stop watching hockey for the REST OF MY LIFE!

Is nothing, not even something that has been around for 5 YEARS, holy?!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

19. jon514 says:

Both NHL and NHLPA are spending significant money on convincing the fans that the other side is responsible for the lockout. I don’t really understand why, the fans don’t have any real power unless we show a will to organize. But anyways, if either side really wanted to garner fan support for their cause, they should take every penny of that money and pledge it to reducing ticket prices for the fans when things resolve. While it may only result in 50 cents or 1 dollar per ticket, it will garner immediate fan support across the board.

“This Team is Less than the sum of it’s parts while Gomez is one of those parts.”

20. 123456 says:

Awesome Dave – Nearly single handedly raising over three grand for charity. A special thanks to the bideers and players as well.

We should all take a moment to realize this and a lot of other charities are a million times more important than a lockout.

21. habs-hampton says:

just curious. The taking heads continuously compare the NHL to the NFL, NBA and MLB, but I was wondering, how does European Soccer work? Are the players unionized? Is there a CBA? It seems like there is even more money in play over there. Have they ever had a work stoppage in any of the leagues? If not, then why not, how did they avoid it?

• commandant says:

I’m not entirely sure on how it all works… but the Italian Serie A had a strike last season that cut off the first week of games before it was settled.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kfourn says:

Can you imagine the riots if they locked-out soccer in Europe?

_______________________________________________________
      Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• rhino514 says:

There is no cap in soccer simply because it is too popular and there is way to much demand for players and so much freedom of movement due to so many leagues in various countries.
      Players get as much as owners can afford to pay them and in the case of the top teams, they are paid more than stars in north american sports.
      It is ironic that North America which promotes itself as a free market system has artificial cost controls in 3 of its 4 major sports, while in europe where socialism predominates, sports are a complete free for all.
      Europeans distinguish between real problems and sports. If a few hundred players make billions, hey, it´s entertainment. Societal problems, affecting hundreds of millions of people, are a different animal. There is none of the argument “how sad a soccer player makes 10 million when a teacher makes a paltry 25,000″
      The owners in north american sports take advantage and are able to dictate CBAs because they are the only game in town. Any time you have a monoply, even in sports, you have the people in control taking advantage…because they can.
      The best thing that could happen to hockey would be the emergence of other leagues which could truly compete with the NHL. The owners would then have no leverage; they wouldn´t be able to treat and talk to the players like little children, as they do now.
      Sports leagues have NEVER had much parity. why should they? The rest of the world doesn´t. Baseball has had its dynasties, teams who were always at the top, and then the majority who could not compete.
      The NHL has gone way overboard with cost controls and parity. there are teams in the league which simply should not be in the NHL, rather than attempt to prop them up financially. The weak should not survive, simply put. Instead, artificial markets have been created to keep them in place.
      If you want to put a very soft cap, or a modicum of revenue sharing, I haven´t a big problem with that, but what the league is negotiating now is not for “the ggod of the league and the teams”; it´s simply to put alot more money in the pockets of owners.
      Teams who finish at the bottom of the league get to pick future stars first at the draft. This in itself establishes some parity and ensures every team has a chance, though of course the big spenders will also have more of a chance to buy their way out of mistakes than others.
      You add free agency into the deal and a soft cap, then you get even more parity. More than is actually needed
      The tight cost controls in which are already in place; a hard cap directly linked to revenue sharing, as well as all the other regulations on player movement and contracts, are overkill, the players are already tied down by a bogus system which would never exist anywhere else in the wolrd outside the NFL and NBA (and the NBA has a much more flexible model). I completely support their right not to give in, despite how much I´d like to see hockey back.
      If other leagues become true options, we will see the end to greedy owners and a greedy arrogant commissioner who know they can do what they they want with the players.

22. JF says:

Renaud Lavoie points out that the NHL is employing the same firm used by the NBA, the NFL, and Major League Baseball, Proskauer Rose, and that this lockout has so far followed the same trajectory as the NBA lockout last fall: cancellation of training camps and pre-season games, cancellation of early season games, a new offer based on 50/50 revenue sharing, then the threatened cancellation of a major event (the Winter Classic in hockey, the Christmas games in the NBA).

If the similarities continue, the next step would be the appointment of a mediator followed by a new offer based on less than 50%. Then negotiations would break down again, to be re-opened secretly about a week later, with an agreement in principle reached in a few days and the season starting shortly thereafter.

Lavoie does not say that the exact same scenario will play out in the NHL lockout, but he does say that the strategy and threats are similar, and that at some point the NHL will put these aside and consent to talk about hockey. He expects that this will be around American Thanksgiving:

23. shiram says:

An interesting read on Paul Kelly’s view on the lockout. Kelly is the former NHLPA executive director.

24. Blondie says:

This is the kind of thing that really angers me:

“We withdrew our most recent proposal on Friday, and now we are spending time thinking about our next proposal and how best to get closer to a resolution. We hope the Union is doing the same thing. Given the fact that the Union refused even to discuss our last proposal, it would appear that we still have a large gulf to bridge.” – Daly

No negotiating, just prepare more proposals.

Omitting the fact that the NHL would only discuss the last proposal if the union accepted all but the “make whole” provisions before discussions begin.

• commandant says:

Today the NHLPA asked to set up a meeting later in the week and were rejected according to Fehr.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Blondie says:

Unreal. I can’t imagine what else they have to do. Unless it involves saving a life it couldn’t be more important than negotiating a deal.

• commandant says:

The NHL will only meet if its on their terms… thats it. No discussion allowed.

“At every opportunity we have continued to state that we are ready to meet and willing to discuss all open issues, including the owners’ last offer,” Fehr wrote.

“Nonetheless, to date, their group has declined to commit to a meeting unless it can dictate what the agenda is. We will update you further as soon as there is anything more to report. Regards, Don.”

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

Hate to be a broken record, but the time has come for the players to not lose the season. It’s time for Fehr to stop telling the league how to run its business. It’s time for him to negotiate and to stop stone-walling.
            -EDIT- @ BRIPRO
            Actually, I was trying to write it as Bettman being the singer. I was hoping that came through. ;)

• Bripro says:

Cal, great tune selection earlier. But putting yourself in the title with “Mr. Fehr”…hmm.

I don’t see how the NHL can dictate the terms perpetually.
            Although there’s a gag order on the owners talking to the media, or anyone else for that matter, one would have to think that the big money-earning teams want to have their say.
            There are debts to pay and obligations.
            Just looking at the Habs’ situation, given that GM has only owned the team for a few years, a $550MM+ obligation carries heavily.
            There is no way that the concert bookings are covering the financial obligations, and I would have to think that Geoff is about to start kicking and screaming to get this done.

• commandant says:

Cal

We have a work stoppage and the NHLPA is essentially saying here… “Lets have a meeting, we can discuss your offer, or offer, something new, etc… lets see if we can find some common ground and a creative solution somewhere. ”

The NHL is saying “if you don’t agree to our terms we aren’t even willing to meet”

Ask yourself who is being unreasonable here.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

The NBA just made itself a new fan. I already forgot what that other sport was. What’s it called again? No matter. Go Lakers!!!

26. Croz38 says:

Wow, $3,300 currently for the high bidder on the meal with Habs players. Great job by Stubbs to create such a success over playing around on twitter.

27. Max_a_million says:

Is anyone else getting to the point of no return?

I have spent 40 years being a die hard Habs fan, and if the NHL cancels the Winter Classic in an industry making 3.3 billion, I am just through with the NHL. It won’t be the same, but I can watch college and high school hockey.

After so many lockouts it feels like I am dating one of those crazy girlfriends that it’s difficult to get away from. This is just too much.

Is it just me?

• Cal says:

No. Many of us have reached this point, too. Both sides are too stupid to divide a $3.3 billion pie? Complete idiots, the both of them.

• frontenac1 says:

NHL? Man, I just get over it and then wham! They start up that pathetic Kebuke dance and get me all horned up again..I mean it is cruel, n”est pas? And that poll? It is the NFL all the way Amigos,especially after I heard Justin Bieber is doing the halftime show at the Grey Cup. Are you kidding me?

• JF says:

A lot of us feel that way. We just have to hope that it’s enough to make a difference, that fans will desert the NHL in droves. If there is a significant backlash after this lockout, maybe the idiots who run the league will think twice about going through this again at the end of the next CBA. I’ll continue to watch the NHL, but I won’t give the league another dollar – no more tickets, no more NHL merchandise. I hope that when the league eventually condescends to start up again, the games will be played in half-empty arenas. Enough of this arrogance and contempt for the fans.

28. Hobie Hansen says:

So I’m reading that there were “fans” over in the Czech republic chanting racial slurs at Wade Simmonds during a game. Not a one fan or a group of fans but entire sections of fans.

It is such an embarrassment for any Caucasian person. I seriously hope that any African American player/person doesn’t believe that there’s even a small portion of people in North America, especially Canada, that even have a hint of racism inside them. I’m sure there are racists in Canada but their opinion is meaningless, they’re scum, so don’t even give them an ounce of attention.

If I were at a game and someone chanted a racial slur they’d have one chance to shut their mouth or either he or I would be leaving the building in a stretcher. Chances are it would be him :-).

Sorry but I had to get that rant off my chest after reading that.

• Kooch7800 says:

That isn’t an embarrassment for any Caucasians….it just shows how ignorant and stupid human beings really can be. Ignorance and stupidity knows no race or colour.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXQbZDwV0w

That should make you laugh a bit

Either way you are right though a nice butt whooping would be what the doctor ordered.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

There are pockets of these Morons all over the world still Hobie. It is a shame, and I feel bad for any people that have to endure such ignorance.

It is amazing though how often i read about certain crowds in European Soccer who continue to display incredible stupidity as it relates to racism.

While we still have idiots left here in Canada, I would like to think you wouldn’t be able to find entire sections of the crowd chanting slurs here.

• JF says:

I like to think that the way people now move around all over the world is breaking these long-entrenched patterns of racism. You have only to walk by a schoolyard at lunch time and see kids from many different ethnic backgrounds playing together to hope that no child today could grow up racist.

• New says:

People who act out are generally not meeting much success in life. They might be making money, or everything might seem ok, but when you take them apart their lives are a mess. So they boost their self esteem by trying to diminish others. Little kids get along fine because they are learning about the world and go into it using a moral compass we often ignore.

We cut the people who act out too much slack. We always excuse their behaviours. When we don’t they apologize, and then we do. Heck with it, paint a big L on their foreheads so the rest of us can just drive on by. Would make doormen’s jobs easier.

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks for organizing the Mini Summit Burly. I owe you a couple beers

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Kooch, maybe Nov. 16th we can go to the Friday night game against Marlies again, Afterall hard to beat the 3buck beer nights right? Maybe our legal advisor Commandant can join us, afterall can’t hurt to have a lawyer with you on a Friday night in Hamilton right?

• ont fan says:

I spent some time in Richmond V. and Atlanta G. I am surprised how naive I am about racism.

• Blondie says:

It constantly amazes me that racism, and prejudice in general, still persist in today’s societies. With the free movement of so many people to so many places you’d think that people would learn to appreciate and understand each other more. Maybe I’m the slow learner if I’m still surprised.

I hate haters.

• Bripro says:

I have to agree with Hobie and HB that it’s becoming more and more isolated.
        I was at the Jazz fest in the city this summer, and it struck me, looking over the crowd, that our fair city (I would hope representative of our wonderful Canada) is so diverse, not only in language, but in ethnicity and culture.
        People from every walk of life holding onto each other and enjoying each other’s company.
        That’s the way it’s supposed to be.
        I would like to say we should dismiss these idiots, but in Simmonds’ case, it must’ve been hard, considering it was in an enclosed structure.
        Maybe it’s time for him to come home.

• The Jackal says:

Thankfully the interaction between different cultures is often enriching and positive, it’s just horrible to see these exchanges take place in such a backwards fashion!

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Blondie says:

You’re right, that’s the way it should be.

The idiots shouldn’t be dismissed but held up as shining examples of how not to behave.

• The Jackal says:

That’s so disgraceful. It sucks because it shows how ignorant some people are, no matter where they live or how develop their country is. Unfortunately, because of lack of education or other social factors, there are people who discriminate or are prejudiced against certain groups. It truly is horrible to see that percolate into things like sports and other things that tend to cut across social boundaries.
      We’ve seen it whenever the Habs are in the playoffs and opposing fans say stuff about French people, or as in this case, players like PK and Simmonds get attacked by hateful individuals for petty reasons.
      I hope such outbursts continue to go heavily condemned by all fans, let these people know that this sort of behaviour is unexcusable.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Cal says:

We’ve come a long way since 1960, and still have miles to go. Feeling superior because of race, religion or country is slowly on the way out. Unfortunately, it isn’t happening soon enough.

• Chris says:

I agree almost whole-heartedly. Such displays are absolutely disgraceful.

My only disagreement is the idea that people should believe that the vast majority of people lack even a hint of racism. This is quite simply untrue. The vast majority, if not all people, are inherently racist to some degree. The fact that we take such care in differentiating ourselves as of a particular ethnic or cultural group is proof of that.

What separates most people from the dregs of society is that we acknowledge the presence of that racism and are disgusted by it, not vocalizing or acting on the cultural or ethnic stereotypes.

You can’t fight racism, sexism, dangerous nationalism or any of the other awful human behaviour until you recognize that it is ubiquitous, that we are all to varying degrees guilty of it.

Like you say, it would be my sincere hope that most of us would confront anybody who started a racist chant at a hockey game. But how many of us turn a blind eye when somebody makes a comment about a “retard” or somebody acting “gay”? Those terms are rampant in society and many just turn a blind eye.

How many of us turn a blind eye to culturally insensitive, if not overtly racist, terms like “gypped”?

These are viewed as somewhat innocent terms, but for the people who are being derided they are equally offensive.

• petefleet says:

We should all keep in mind that that part of the world has some serious recent history of ethnic genocide. Racisim seems to be a way of life for many of them. Don’t be too shocked at it. Whole countries have been torn apart over this very issue. Be glad you’re Canadian and that you are appalled.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

29. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. We are safe and sound. Thank you for all of your well wishes and positive thoughts. I have never experienced such wind in all my life. During the height of the storm it sounded like a train. My wife and I were very concerned that the house was going to collapse. Despite the cracks and moans the structure made, it held up just fine. The air outside during the storm seemed to pick up smells from all over and carry them. The smell of pine was overwhelming. Took a quick walk around and besides the roof if the kennel which has blown away, and several tree limbs, all is well. Of course we have no power but we have plenty of flashlights, batteries and canned goods. My kindle is fully charged and loaded with several books. My internet access is very spotty so I might not be posting much but don’t worry. I am lucky to have one of those marriages where we still like each other. CHeers guys!
    ———————————–

• Cal says:

Great news, HF!

• Kooch7800 says:

Glad you guys are ok. It is scary how powerful Mother Nature really can be.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mattyleg says:

Great stuff Jim!
      Keep yer head up and yer stick on the ice; we’re cheerin’ for ya from the cheap seats!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 123456 says:

where are you habfan? glad the worst is over for you – although the clean-up and potential fix up can be daunting. here in roch, ny it was not that bad – we lost power for a few seconds – just enough to have to fix the clocks.

• Blondie says:

Good to hear Jim. Hope you get your power restored soon and clean-up is not too much of a bitch.

• Bripro says:

Hey Jim, Glad all is good for you. Have fun picking up after yourself. Here I was complaining this morning about decorating on sunday, and having to walk the street yesterday and this morning picking everything up.
      Sure pales by comparison.
      Sounds like you and your better half will have a good snuggle day. Enjoy!

30. commandant says:

On Friday we met Antoine Corbin as part of the mini-summit. Here is a look at what we asked, and what he answered.

Thanks to Gerald (Burly) for setting it up, and to Kooch, HammerHab, JohnBellyful, L Elle, Habfan10912, and Chrisadiens for helping with the questions.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

31. centre hice says:

2014 Canadian Olympic Team.

Neal – Crosby – Perry

• Hobie Hansen says:

Where’s Travis Moen?

• neumann103 says:

Isn’t Schneider American?

“Et le but!”

• neumann103 says:

and while I think the defense could look very much like that young group that forward crew is lacking experience and loaded with centers playing out of position.

Won’t happen.also won’t have all of Benn Sharp and Neal . At least one of those guys is going to take a step backwards in the next two years in terms of what people think he is.

“Et le but!”

• krob1000 says:

I would think one of if not both of Nugent Hopkins and Taylor Hall will be there by then. It is hard to say how some of the younger kids will be by then but Jeff Skinner is also a consideration…in international play the speed and skill of those three is pretty undeniable….it will be contingent on their development and hwo responsible they become but all three have the potential to crack that roster…I would also say that Jordan Staal is a better bet than Eric Stall by then…Eric is a scorer and Jordan a shutdown guy….Canadawill have better scorers but only Bergeron and Toews rival Staal in the two way game and there may just be room for all three.

The beauty is that Canada will have a plethora of talent to choose from. For the first time in a long time, goalie might be the position lacking the most depth. However a combination of Price, Ward with Fleury or Luongo as backups should be good enough with that talent.

• thepiraterobert says:

Hi to everyone out there,
      Hope we all get through this much nastier than usual storm without anything severe to report. Here in Ottawa it is a little overcast and windy….was much windier hours ago.
      That is quite the deep team you have posted…if you are right about the majority – and i think you are- who can tell me the last time there were 2 or more Habs on the Olympic team and who they were?

C’est le but!
      Bob in Ottawa

32. JohnBellyful says:

Boy, does this bring back a lot of memories (which, considering my advanced age, is something): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/a-primer-to-the-hockey-beer-league-making-the-most-of-the-nhl-lockout/article4753044/

33. Cal says:

I hope everyone stays safe during Sandy.
    Today, I am counting crows:

Hoping all those folks who were in the path of Sandy stateside are doing okay this morning.

As usual nothing on the hockey front to talk about, perhaps both sides should consider negotiating?

• Cal says:

They are considering, but they’re not making any phone calls. Idiots all.

• Psycho29 says:

Lucky in Montreal so far, some wind last night but not much rain…Hope everyone kept safe.

Seeing they’re not doing much, maybe the owners and players could head down to the New York area and help with the clean up after Hurricane Sandy passed through.
      I bet that would be a dose of reality and they’d get a deal done real quick!

• Blondie says:

It would be nice if they’d start. They haven’t negotiated since the last lockout. So far it’s been nothing but proposals offered and refused.