Fifth place!

And your Montreal Canadiens didn’t even have to play a game to reach that lofty position.

Washington’s loss to Phoenix dropped the struggling Caps to sixth.

AUDIO from Monday’s practice: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Max Pacioretty | Mathieu Darche | P.K. Subban

Cammalleri may be back in Calgary

Pat Hickey on fighting

Toronto Sports Network on P.K.

Reactions to Mario Lemieux’s statement

Roy MacGregor on Lemieux

Leafs deal Versteeg, look to July 1

Damien Cox on Versteeg deal

Fifth place?

Uh, no.

Playoffs?

Probably.

But not for sure.

A brutal night at the Bell.

And 1-4-1 against mighty Ottawa this season.

You still trolling me? Speak sense and the truth please because you’re speaking neither right now.

They’re the team that played in the last two Cup finals winning one of them. The Habs are the team that would make all the king’s horses and even all the king’s men blush.

3. jbroderi says:

thanks, hopefully he’ll be over here sometime!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Our own version of Anton Volchenkov? Send him a ticket, I’ll take him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. Lee_D says:

The 23-year-old Yemelin is still a legitimate prospect, at least in the sense that he possesses the capability to one day play in the NHL. Yemelin he re-signed with the KHL’s Kazan AK Bars this offseason, however, in lieu of venturing to North America and so can be expected to stay in Russia through the 2011 season. Yemelin is not a flashy offensive talent, with a goal and six assists on the year in 46 games. Rather, he is a reliable, gritty, stingy defender who willingly engages the opposition with tough physical play. Yemelin has expressed on record that he intends to one day play in the NHL, and he would fit in well.

6. Ayan_SB says:

Fk yo couch!

7. ZepFan2 says:

lmao

“That’s game, bitches.”

“This cat can ball!”

I miss Charlie Murphy.

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

8. Ayan_SB says:

Game. Blouses.

9. B says:

or against Florida.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Good point, what if Komisarek found out he was cheating on him?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. jbroderi says:

Not sure if Pierre is the commitment type.  He might just want to take him out for a stiff “cocktail”  haha

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

12. ZepFan2 says:

I believe Prince only plays pick up b-ball.

Prince plays BALL

😉

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

13. Robert L says:

And as fast as!

14. king ddd says:

and i wanted him to be our Gm.. Oh silly me!

.::moen & georges for co-captains::.

15. EricInStL says:

You are right he is this years #1.

In Guy Boucher I trust.

16. jbroderi says:

I mentioned this before the last game.  I would like to see Prince start a game after Halak wins, like hopefully against Buffalo.  We shouldn’t start Price after a Halak loss, as it sends the wrong message to Halak. (win your in, lose, we will shake it up)  I think when price plays, no matter how he plays, you gotta go back to halak, he is this years number 1!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

17. SeriousFan09 says:

His daughter must date him or something

Replace that with He wants to date him and you’re on to something.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. jbroderi says:

I find pierre can pick up on different systems, styles of play of players, that kind of thing quite well, but when he analyses teams and there chances of success, he is a very “state the obvious” type guy.  Never really has much useful to say, especially when it comes to picking who will win or that kind of thing.  he will just pick a monster on the winning team, which is clutterbuck if minnesota is playing.  His daughter must date him or something

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

19. EricInStL says:

The thing that bugs me is the fact he seems to want to be a DJ soooo bad. But is doing sports in the hope of getting a job at CHOM (which wouldn’t be a bad thing actually).

Your points are correct, but wish he would stay with sports instead of deviating. It’s ok for 2 minutes but not for 10 minutes at a time….

Anyway……

Tonight we will lose in a shootout I think.

I would’ve started Price in To and go with Halak back to back against teams we might meet in the playoffs. We would not have met Toronto….

In Guy Boucher I trust.

20. keepthefaith says:

You mean WE as in the REAL fans?  Or WE as in  “THE ONLY WHEN WE ARE WINNING FANS”? ( which by the way we know which side you are on.)  I see you calling me out on a old thread. Haven ‘t heard a word of your whining all week and as soon as the habs lose you come out.  At least your consistent with one thing. Being a bandwagoner must get tiring.

21. jbroderi says:

a little off topic, but what are the possibilities of yemelin coming over next year? how old is he now?

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

22. SeriousFan09 says:

I generally like him, he tends to have the best guests on his show. I wish he would ask more pointed questions about Pierre’s analysis sometimes, he’s really gone out of his way to slag Montreal at times and appear as the expert, than jumped right on the bandwagon as we went on the winning streak, Pierre that is, not Melynk.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Besides the fact that they’re the Red Wings, I don’t understand why Detroit is ranking so high on all of the power rankings (TSN as well). Yes they’re a good team, but they are only in 8th spot in the West and just barely. We’ve been on a bigger tear than they have and we’re ranked so much lower… I don’t quite get it.

24. Mike Boone says:

It’s like Ben Johnson becoming a “Jamaican sprinter”

25. EricInStL says:

What do you think of Melnick ???

In Guy Boucher I trust.

26. Ayan_SB says:

Isn’t there a poster here with a Captain Picard facepalm avatar?

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Not making this up: Team 990 with Pierre Mcguire on the Bruins offence
    “It doesn’t take a math scientist to figure this out” My Exact Reaction.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. Harani says:

As if they weren’t already doomed!

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

29. Harani says:

I know, hope my cousin dumps her. But eventually she will dump him coz he’s a hockey freak and she doesn’t even know how many guys play at a time. And his constant talking about hockey will annoy the shit out of her.

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

30. MICP says:

This is all a part of the conspiracy.  We know that the NHL & the officials are out to get the Habs.  We also know that we will lose tonight, since Ottawa is struggling then they will only win by a 13-1 score.  When we cry about Halak they then will start Price and bring back Cammalleri and MAB.

People on HIO will be back to saying jesus Price and in Bob we trust.  This is all a part of the master plan and the master conspiracy.

31. Ayan_SB says:

Uh oh, Philadelphia Flyers’ Jeff Carter is out for 3-4 weeks with a fractured foot.

32. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

This is the most incredible piece of information that’s ever been posted to HI/O  – and maybe even the Internet.

33. punkster says:

LOL…I like the Timo pose.

34. Danno says:

Reasons to be cheerful. Part three:

We’re movin’ on up in the power rankings and are now rated to be among the better clubs.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

35. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s going to be a kick in the rear for whoever goes up against them. Babcock behind the bench, what must be a thousand games combined of playoff experience and a series of clutch performers on the roster.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. GrimJim says:

Is that the “waitress, bring more Heineken!” sign or the “pose like Timo” version?

37. Ayan_SB says:

Does any team actually want to win the Western conference this year? Since the reward would most likely be playing against the Detroit Red Wings.

38. Mr.Hazard says:

I haaatee that. Watching a game because of an attraction to a player. Soooo annoying.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

39. Robert L says:

Not sure what got Jack Todd’s “we” rant going, but I was musing a bit on that last “we” thing last week…

I find it nothing but funny, the shift from “they” to “we”. It gauges how a team’s doing, I say.

40. B says:

This is coming from a guy who used to refer to himself as “we” in his MMQB column.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

“Hey RDS: Will work for less than Benoit Brunet!”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t need signs, the team infers my position by my facial expressions.

43. JD_ says:

I think Andrew still has his. You can probably pop by before heading to the Bell Centre.

44. The Teacher says:

Washington and Philly are the two teams I would want to face (given that Ottawa is not going to IMO), although I am hopeful if we face Pittsburgh that we can take them down (yeah, right) given that they have made it to the final 2 years in a row, and statistically speaking, the odds are not good for them. Then I figure we have a 33% chance of beating them, since they have to lose in the first 3 rounds for my theory to be correct :)

45. punkster says:

(4) “If you guys don’t win tonight I’m gonna punch someone in the mouth”

46. jbroderi says:

tell her to go buy a cosmo magazine, I’m sure there is a lovely article on him and carrie underwearwood

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

47. The Teacher says:

Not really, as the person initially wrote a bush war, meaning the type of vegetation growing in the area the war was being fought in.

It is relevant because you are arguing against an unwritten point.

The person after you tried to tell you that, but you obviously were a bit agitated at the time.

48. JD_ says:

Awesome, Punkster Dave!

If I may, a few suggestions for your poster board (you are bringing one, right?):

(1) “Salut Pierre et Yvon!”

(2) “I’m not wearing any pants!”

(3) “Chantal. Hurley’s 10pm. Ask for Dave.”

49. joeybarrie says:

“Yes of course there are many ways to serve your country other than
    enlisting … running away isn’t one of them though.”

I feel the need to express how MANY of our grandfathers and such came to this country. Leaving the one they did for a better life. In my mind almost the same thing as leaving because of a war… Which was the case of many European immigrants, who are now living in Canada and The USA. In fact i believe many Canadiens moved from Quebec into the USA because there was no work and are now American citizens who are staying in the USA. Not running away, but none the less still not contributing to the Canada (for the most part). Moving for work, desire is normal. Look at all Canadian Snow Birds. Look at Petr Svboda, left his family to come to Canada and play hockey. Brought his family later. In the Czech Rep at the time he was considered to be running away, and would be shot if he was to return.

“I have paid my hard earned money to this team for my whole life, I have
    given them my time, my interest, my adoration, my emotions …  I have
    definitely earned the right to say “we”.  For goodness sake I pay their
    salaries as do we all.”

Now this one. I could not have said it better myself. EXACTLY.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. B says:

Todd is just a curmudgeon. Anyone remember over 2 years ago when he wrote the following in his continuing MMQB column?

&&&& this is it, grumbles and bogs. The absolute last,
    final, been-there-and-done-that edition of the Monday Morning Quarterback.

No curtain calls this time, no comebacks for one last fight, no more, period. As of Jan. 11, I am leaving The Gazette to concentrate on writing fiction. (And yes, we’ve heard all the cracks about rats leaving a sinking ship, and how we’ve been writing fiction all along, blah, blah, blah, so don’t bother.) At some point in the spring, I will return with a very different and more serious Monday sports column, but the MMQB is not pining for the fjords – he’s as dead as that Monty Python parrot.

To all those faithful Monday readers through the years, happy trails and all the best to you. To the rest, those who chose to fill my Monday email with illiterate and obscene rants, well, I suspect that you’ll miss me more than I will miss you, but I don’t really care one way or another. Some of you might have to go out and buy a dictionary rather than labouring away at your laptops all day to bring forth “Todd!!! You suck!!!”

(And to think that at one time I thought sports talk-radio was the absolute bottom of the barrel when it came to sports “journalism.” That was before the Internet.)

51. Chuck says:

Don’t do it! Besides, he’s taken.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

52. Anonymous says:

Both games I’ve been to this year have been Halak shutouts.

53. Harani says:

My attendance to the game tonight is a big fat question mark. Because my cousin’s gf wants to go to a game for the first time and she really wants to go because she is in love with Mike Fisher and wants to see him live :(

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

54. HABWARRIOR says:

Cammy out and Bergy out…damn that sucks the big fat one.Ooh Welllll better have them fully recovered than rush em early into the lineup and risk more injury.After all we are gonna need em for our cup drive!