Feeling a bit ambivalent?

320249

Are we all aboard for Canada’s team? A Vancouver win means Christopher Higgins and Maxim Lapierre get their names engraved on the Stanley Cup … and Brad Marchand doesn’t.

• Arpon Basu on What if?

Fodder for conspiracy theorists

Peter Chiarelli on his Bruins

Kaberle deal more costly

What really killed Bill Masterton?

Interesting Comment by Robert Rice, who posts as SeriousFan09:

I come to speak in praise of a man who is almost certainly departing, but should be saluted for his valiant service.

Roman Hamrlik: 312GP in the regular season as a Canadien and 42 more in the playoffs. He scored 22 goals, 97 assists in those RS games and 1G, 14A in the playoffs. He blocked an incredible 731 shots in his 4-season run and 110 more in the playoffs, his TOI just dipped below 22 minutes/game for one season and in the last two years, no member of the team averaged more ES TOI/G than he did.

Yes he wore down badly at the end of the last two seasons. Yes that made him more susceptible to gaffes. But let us not forget, he took on a job well beyond what was expected of him for the last two years with the Canadiens and we should respect that, he never complained, he did his job and we made the playoffs and he got hit with more rubber along the way than the Indy 500 track.

1. Mats Naslund says:

You don’t need to be a conspiracy theorist to see the incredible problem the NHL currently has as long as Gregory Campbell plays in the NHL while his father holds such a position of authority. The fact that the NHL believes that because Campbell is not directly involved in decisions regarding the Bruins, there is no conflict of interest is hilarious in the first order considering the roster of Lawyers that run the league. It doesn’t take a genius to understand that the man doesn’t have to be directly involved to exert influence over decisions. Whether or not that influence has resulted in favorable decisions for the Bruins is certainly debatable, but ultimately irrelevant in my opinion.

Regardless of what team Gregory plays for, Campbell still holds power over his staff, including Mike Murphy who is the man responsible for making judgments concerning games played by the Bruins. How likely is ANYONE to make a judgment in any position that would directly contradict the known position of their boss, or someone in an authoritative position? Campbell does not need to divulge his position on any play – his authority exerts unfair pressure on those around him to make unbiased judgments based on video evidence and precedent setting rulings. In fact, I would say that regardless of how well Campbell practices restraint in influencing his staff, he is likely to still have an effect in these situations that would be unacceptable in most other “legal” situations.

The fact is, most plays in the NHL can be seen as subjective. How many times (this year) have you watched a play and seen one thing, only to hear someone else have a vastly differing opinion? Campbell recently said this, regarding the Steckel hit on Crosby:
    “What do you want to do to the game? You’re nuts. There are some hits out there that we don’t like, but … Come on, you guys. You can’t say that was dirty, you guys. … You can’t say that hit was dirty or you guys don’t watch hockey.”

That’s it. Its a black and white world with Colin Campbell. You either agree with him, or you don’t watch hockey. The fact is, there are an awful lot of people who watch an awful lot of hockey who see an awful lot wrong with his assessment of that particular play. Colin Campbell operates seemingly without reference to the existing precedent, handing down judgment on a case by case basis as he sees fit. The article above states only a few of the myriad of decisions that have been the result of inequity in application of the NHL’s justice. This isn’t a Habs-Bruins issue, even though it has played out as one this year. The fact that the NHL’s disciplinarian can call any play he wants a “hockey play”, means that ALL decisions are arbitrary. As long as he can see no malicious intent, or wants to believe that a player is clean, his judgment will reflect that. The NHL is in desperate need of a review of their disciplinary operations, and a paradigm shift towards equal application of the rules instead of the fiefdom in which Lord Campbell currently holds court.

• Sharks9 says:

The NHL needs a disciplinary COMMITTEE. Not a disciplinary DICTATOR. And make sure none of them have kids in the NHL!

25 before 14

• D Mex says:

Très bien dit mon petit viking – ( uh, ‘yer english ain’t half bad :-) )

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• I just thought it was kinda funny there were no calls in that game 7, Boston versus Tampa Bay…was it a particularly clean game? or, as Don Cherry would say, the Refs let things go…not to spoil the flow of the game. All this may be true…or maybe in the back of influential folk’s minds, they didn’t want a threatening Tampa Bay powerplay unit out there doing their stuff. Unfortunately, the Ref’s Penalty calls are big part of the game itself…by deliberately sticking his/her whistle in their pockets one game, and calling everything that is questionable another game – leaves a fan bewildered.

2. The Cat says:

Ill find happiness no matter who wins. If Vancouver wins, Ill be happy its in Canada, and if Boston wins, Ill be happy cause its a victory for 5on5 hockey.

3. Duracell3 says:

More Quebecois, easy choice.

The fact that the other team basically has a guy either implicitly or explicitly excluding the team from the rules doesn’t help.

4. _Habsoloutly_ says:

For all the bruins trolls running rampant here:

BRUINS SUCK!!!!!!

Carry on. and don’t forget to keep daddy Cambells number on speed dial, you know you won’t make it far without him.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t know why people say the Nucks have “bandwagon jumping” fans. Obviously there’s more excitement now than ever, just as there was more excitement about the Habs in 2008 than during the dark days circa 2002-2003.

Also Vancouver is a great team. When the Sedins are on, it is one of the few times hockey looks like a beautiful game again. Then there’s Alex Burrows (undrafted), Ryan Kessler, Kevin Bieksa, Christopher Higgins … what’s not to like?

On the other hand what’s not to like about the Bruins? In 10,000 words or more.

6. maiolola@comcast.net says:

It’s sad that the Habs will never get Peter Chiarelli or 99% of the rest of the GM’s in the NHL because they don’t speak French. That is one way to ensure that it becomes decades before the Habs win another cup.

L Train

7. naweed235 says:

haha … here is a nice old pic of PK and Stamkos in Habs uni:

8. NightRyder says:

This is a horrible dilemma for me.

The choices – the team I’ve grown to loathe more than any other, a decades-long hatred. Or the team I’ve mostly laughed at my whole life, but now supported by the most annoying, bandwagon-jumping pseudo fans I have ever seen. I literally cannot stand these idiots and they are everywhere out here.

Man, I gotta say it. I would prefer it if the, barf, Bruins won. If you had to live amongst these freaks, I’m guessing some of you would feel the same way.

I feel shame.

• naweed235 says:

ya… no… In no universe would I prefer the Goons to win over Anybody… Heck I would root for a team made up of Osama Bin Laden, Darth wader, a rapist, Cancer and (u get the point…) Over those A-holes….

9. knuckle05 says:

B-I-T-T-E-R

BRUINS WILL WIN THE CUP – and you know it.

Wisniewski will be the B’s #4 D in Oct.

10. DavidKB says:

I’m only hoping for some great, competitive hockey, ending with the Bruin losing in game 7, double overtime!

11. D Mex says:

Based on what they have done on the ice this season, and the way in which they have gone about it (ie : did not conduct themselves like a gang of punks, did not attempt a beheading, did not rely on someone’s dad to bail them out all the time, etc etc etc), Vancouver really should win this thing.

If things don’t pan out in quite this way, it wouldn’t be the end of the world : I mean, Philly assaulted their way to a couple of cups back in the Clark-Schultz-Kelly days, and nobody mistakes THEM for a hockey dynasty. If Boston wins, they’re still a bunch of punks – just lucky ones is all.

The cup is just on loan to whoever until the Habs get it back :-)

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

12. MTLForever says:

If you’re a true Habs fan, you will not cheer for the Bruins in the cup final. I don’t care how many Canadians are on their roster, IT’S THE BRUINS. Our rivals, the team we are supposed to hate. I hate them. The only time I cheer for Toronto or Boston is if they benefit Montreal in some way. Well, they are not benefiting us if they win the cup.

GO CANUCKS GO
    Lappy and Higgins for the cup.

13. Keith says:

Way to go Seadogs! Congrats!!! So nice to see the Maritimers win against Onterrible!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

14. Keith says:

YES!!! Dogs score!!!

15. mrhabby says:

steven stamkos to the leafs via trade…..any thoughts peeps.

just putting it out there.

something else to talk about i guess.

16. Keith says:

Sportsnet Onterrible homers par excellance. Worse than CBC.

• Ron says:

True to form for sure. Making excuses galore and complaining about the reffs. McLean being a Maritimer looks like a Rhodes Scholar sitting amongst the short bus crew.

• Keith says:

The best thing about the Seadogs is the Maritime content. It’s nice to see some local (N.B.) boys doing great, and in this tournament no less.

• Ron says:

And their all making a contribution to a successful year. No matter how this ends they can be all proud to have been part of a Memorial Cup final. Not many players from any Province can say that from their junior career.

17. dudurules says:

I HATE BOSTON!

18. Marc10 says:

I can’t wait for Max to start yapping at Chara.

Big Z is a hot head. If I’m Max, I immediately go to work on him with a steady stream of hits and yapping after every whistle. I also make a point of doubling down on the yapping once Raffi Torres lays out Bergeron. That’s sure to set him off. I’d leave Lucic alone though. He plays better when he’s not engaged, so you let that bear continue his playoff hibernation.

Nucks in 5, unless the NHL disciplinary committee goes out of its way to favour the Bruins…

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Tony McLean says:

Chara should be bumped, slashed and subjected to a thousand bee stings. In other words the opposite of the gentlemanly (or ladylike) way the Canadiens treat him.

“Rebuilding since 1979.”

19. Keith says:

Dogs up 1-0!

20. savethepuck says:

Enough talk for me about the Bruins and Nucks. I’m here in Saint John N.B getting ready for the Seadogs to win the Memorial Cup on Sportsnet. They have 5 guys ranked in the top 50 of this summers draft.

Go Dogs Go

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

21. Big_Bear says:

It’s little wonder why the rest of Canada depises you Quebs!!

Boston Rocks!!

22. Big_Bear says:

WTF is wrong with you hab fans?? I have never seen such a bunch of whiney pussies in my entire life. All you can do is complain about the refs and how the game is fixed. Especially jan_ pronounced_janet. Sh*t half of you have probaly never even laced-up.
    Enjoy the series. I guarantee I will!!!!!

Boston Rocks!!

23. showey47 says:

I really can’t believe some of the posts below. Cheer for the bruins because they have more canadians? Does this mean if the bruins win the cup the stanley cup parade will be held in canada because they are mostly made up of canadians? Or is there a better chance of the canucks having their cup parade in canada which would be celebrated by canadians and not in europe? But then again,the ones posting the bruins idea have a differenet agenda all together anyway.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I had to laugh at that post as well. Seems there’s lot’s of nonsense written here in the offseason. The only team I root for based on nationality is Team Canada.

• JayBee says:

It’s baffling to me. I willl never….ever cheer for the Bruins. NEVER!

• slapshot777 says:

It’s the same Bruin fans which chanted USA, USA when the Habs were playing the Bruins in the first round. With the Habs having the most Americans on either team.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

24. doug19 says:

Boston will have to play every game like their last to have any slim hope.

25. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Quick question to you guys:

If Chris Higgins has figured out how to be a professional (and that’s a big if) and he finally understands that his role should be that of a 3rd-line two-way player who can play on the second line when injuries happen, would you be willing to bring him back into the fold at a reasonable price?

Or, do you never want to see him again in a Habs jersey?

I ask this because I always like Higgins as a player but not in the role he played most of the time he was here. Towards the end of his tenure with the Habs, when he was on the 3rd line and penalty-killing, I felt he could be a very valuable part of the team.

Again, this is purely hypothetical since I don’t believe for a second the Habs would bring him back.

• naweed235 says:

Personally I’d take Higgins on my 3rd line any day… problem is I don’t think he’ll be willing to accept that role specially when he is going to win the cup with Vancouver playing on their 2nd line…
      That is of course if there is such thing as hockey gods that will prevent the Goons from winning the cup …

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Well, he is only playing on the 2nd line because Samuelsson is injured. Also, one would have to expect Cody Hodgson to be in the top 6 pretty soon as well.

But again, this is purely hypothetical. Thanks for answering.

I also would take him on the 3rd line with Eller and AK.

• habstrinifan says:

Enough filling ‘holes’ with non-specific role players who really dont solve any of the teams problems. No Higgins. No whicherver once-habs.

This team NEEDS a SCORER and maybe TWO hard nosed role forwards or a big hard nosed role forward and a big steady defenseman replacing mild mannered Gill.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I don’t disagree with you. I’m not saying Higgins is what is needed. I was just asking a hypothetical question, which is if ever there were a chance to bring Higgins back for a 3rd-line role, would you want him back?

Higgins obviously would not solve our lack of scoring.

• habstrinifan says:

No problem.. and good on Higgins/Laps for performing in Vancouver. But in my opinion, if I see PG sign any more player slike that or Halpern or even Dawes etc, I would know that they have no clue.. he and JM… and are satisfied with a team that JM can mix and match and think he is doing great coaching job while the results are middle of the pack seasons..

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

But, I don’t see how we can avoid signing players for the 3rd or 4th line though. Not all players we sign can be top-6 forwards.

I’m not sure I understand the point you’re trying to make.

WHat was wrong with Halpern? For a 4th-liner, he did a good job on faceoffs and even chipped in some goals for us. Not sure what you expect.

26. gp52 says:

Happy for Laps and Higgy. Shows you good things happen when you leave Montreal. This place is just a repellant to success. A hotbed of repression and apathy.

27. Check out an in-depth match-up between the Bruins and Canucks. Great Stanley Cup Final can’t wait, please comment and vote. Visit canadiensnation.wordpress.com

Go Canucks Go! Canada’s only team left.

Habsnation is still standing.

28. Mavid says:

Well it’s kinda sad that you would waste so much energy hating on a player who is on a team that you cheer for I don’t understand that kind of mentality as there are plenty on other teams you can hate Chris Neil is one of my personal favorites

29. Rob D says:

OK..This place has eaten 4 of my posts over 2 days. What is going on?

30. Rob D says:

While I was pissed at some of the crap that went down vis a vis the BruinsandCanadiens (all one word..lol), I don’t hold grudges for long. Once the Habs are eliminated, I just want to see the best team win and don’t really care if its the Nucks or Bruins in all honesty. I hate Jim Hughson though..always have…and his complete suck up to all things Canucks. Craig Simpson has the same affliction of many colour guys currently earning their ducats on the air..he has a script before the game starts and TRIES to make the action fit his preconceived notions. So if a guy plays big and tough along the boards but gets his head handed to him by someone playing tougher that particular game..the excuses for why this happening rain down. It’s the ice..his daughter has the whooping cough..etc etc. Anything but the truth of the matter..He is getting outplayed.

Both of these guys laid it on thicker than Pierre does when the Habs are in their crosshairs..we get to hear about every organizational weakness and mistake prone player..and then the Habs have the AUDACITY to outplay the other team! It’s got to be because the Nucks watched a sad movie on the plane and they just arent’ feeling it tonight. LOL..

A long way of saying..I’m leaning towards the Bruins. I hate them but have to respect them shutting out teams in the playoffs. I thought they’d be long gone by now. It helps of course that Philly doesn’t believe you need a goaltender in the playoffs..but facts is facts. They are in the Finals.

31. habs-hampton says:

Any truth to the rumor that Campbell has been nominated the the Bruins “7th man award”? … Colin, not Gregory…

32. Mavid says:

Yes to Toronto maybe to the sens and I don’t work on Sunday so I can post all day long

33. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

If you want to cheer for Canada, you should cheer for the Olympic team or WJ team, that’s where Patriotism should end, IMO. That being said I will cheer for the Canucks because; of the hatred for Boston, I’d be happy for the fans of Vancouver, Lapierre, Higgins and Vigneault.
    In past finals, not involving the Habs, I would either cheer for the underdog, as HH stated below, or the city with a good fan base that hasn’t seen the cup in a long time, ie, Blackhawks last year.

34. Neutral says:

It’s not about 7 games. it’s about winning the cup. couldn’t care if you went 7 games all four rounds if you don’t win the cup you’re a loser. a team could do this for 5 years what have they won, nothing. you may not like Boston and I’m not a Boston fan but they will win the cup. best all around team.

35. el heffe says:

i need to quit my job so i can post as often as some of the dolts on here. get a life for dog’s sake

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

36. SmartDog says:

- I hated the Gomez trade from day 1. Most people here told me to shut up, he was a great player… yadda.
    – I mourned the loss of Boucher from day 1. Most people here said Boucher was untested – let’s see if he can handle the NHL. Well, that’s been settled too.
    … now to see two former Habs coaches and a couple former habs cast-offs in the final… well, you gotta admit this team does a lot right but has their heads up their a–es almost as often.
    Any team that would bring in Gomez and his contract has lost it’s vision. If Muller goes next… wow. What is the VISION for this team?

As for the question above it’s obvious. Go ‘nucks. When the Chara-thing talked about MaxPac’s hit as if he had no idea what was going on, it was one of the Sedin’s (Henrick I think) who came out and said ‘you know where you are on the ice’ and basically told Chara he was a liar. So you gotta love them just for that – their captain is a true mensch. The Bruins captain is a goon like the rest of the team. I’ve never seen such a bunch of a-holes wearing the same shirt at one time.

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I could care less how many “ex-habs” get their names on the cup. As long as they beat Boston. I especially don’t care if party-boy Higgins or dirtbag Laps do it.

• issie74 says:

Why do we care who is a party boy off the ice … say he didn’t play well for the Habs.That’s all.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

party boy

• avatar_58 says:

I’ve always felt the ones complaining about “party boys” are just stats nerds who’s idea of a good time is a warm glass of milk and in bed by 9.

Reality is ALL athletes party. It’s life. They are young, they smoke weed, drink booze and sleep with beautiful women. Who cares? I would do the exact same thing as a hab. Especially in montreal for crying out loud.

Those who berate Tiger Woods are the same. I mean what the hell, if you had money and a private jet you wouldn’t do the same? His only mistake was getting married

• HardHabits says:

That is so not PC.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Would I do the same? Nope.

— formerly notbigbird –

• punkster says:

I was going to all “WTF” over you for this comment but decided, hey WTF. You’re a product of your environment, I suppose, and I’m a product of mine. There are people in this world who think of others before they think of themselves and many of them are employed as hockey players in the NHL. Not everyone with money is a self-centred, naval gazing, egocentric trash.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Haha ya thats me “I’m a stats nerd”. Hate to break it to ya Timmy, but I’ve partied long and hard and experimented with many wonderful kinds of chemicals. But when you sign a contract with a team or with a big company for MILLIONS of dollars, you are expected to be responsible and curb the partying to when it is appropriate. I don’t care if a hockey player goes out and parties. As long as its not affecting his game. And the partying clearly affected Higgins game. Every time I saw the guy in a interview he looked like he was either hungover or stoned. Let’s say your wife is murdered and you are innocent, but the police are charging you with the murder. So you got out and drop a hundred thousand dollars to retain the best lawyer around. Your first day in court your lawyer shows up late and hungover and looking like he just smoked a joint, you gonna be happy? You gonna say, hey he is young, he’s allowed to party right? You sign a million dollar contract with a sports team that represents a whole city, sorry you are no longer just a regular guy who should be able to go out and smoke weed and drink your face off, you have major obligations to stay healthy and in shape. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

• OneTimer says:

On the one hand, I’m not going to pretend I’d above the women, the partying and all that if I was an NHL player – like some of the posters above (yeah right, by the way). I absolutely would party like a rock star from time to time if I was in one of these players’ situations. You are almost a god amongst men as a hockey player in Montreal.

On the other hand, I agree with those who say the rock star lifestyle should never take precedence over your responsibilities. It’s all about finding a healthy balance, something most NHLers are able to do, I suppose.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve never been a fan of Vancouver and because of the heated rivalry between the Habs and Bruins; I can’t much cheer for Boston now can I?

It all boils down to the Bruins getting the last laugh against us. They knocked us out of the playoffs and got away with injuring our players with illegal and legal hits over the regular season and into the playoffs. They beat us on the scoreboard and intimidated us in the physical department.

If Boston played in the Western Conference and weren’t our arch rivals, I’d be cheering for them because I actually like some of their players. I only despise players like Lucic, Horton and Chara because they are Bruins and we play them a ton. If they played for any team beside Boston, I’d think they were great.

I guess I’d like to see the Canucks win but I’d rather see any other Canadian team win before they do. They’re tied with the Leafs as my least favourite Canadian team

39. Say Ash says:

Question: If a European captain lifts the cup in a Bruins uniform, does Don Cherry’s head explode?

40. benhab says:

About which team to cheer for: Sure boston may have more Canadian born players than Vancouver, but the way I see it is that if Boston wins, there will be 100,000’s happy Bostonians, and that doesnt make me happy. I would much rather see 10 happy Canadians on a roster with hundreds of thousands or even millions of Canadians backing them then 17 Canadians with the hundred of thousands Bostonians/Americans cheering them.

So, 17 Canadians or > 500,010 Canadians? … to me the choice is easy: GO NUCKS GO!

• Mattyleg says:

I’ll tell you one thing; it’ll be a cold, cold day in Hell before ANYBODY in Alberta cheers for Vancouver.

Would you cheer for Toronto as ‘Canada’s Team’?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. issie74 says:

My favorite game this year Chicago and Montreal.

Chicago played Boston just after the habs.Thornton was cut and bleeding leaving the ice … a Hawk player(unnamed) was overheard to say “get off the ice you goon” TSN didn’t like it,but I could understand.

42. Mavid says:

Plus I really really really hate Boston

43. Mavid says:

Savethepuck your totally right almost all fans of Canadian teams were cheering us on time to return the favor

44. Mavid says:

It’s about were the TEAM is from not the players Nucks are a Canadian Team Boston an American Go Nucks Go and Go Canada Go. That’s the way the yanks see it, and that’s the way Canadians see it too bring the cup home

What bugs me is my tendency to support the under dog (a hard habit to break being a Habs fan for so long) has me leaning my support towards the Bruins. I feel so conflicted.

What needs to happen is this. Boston has to win game 5 and be up 3-2 heading home with a chance to close this thing out and win it on home ice. That will invariably shift my allegiance to the Canucks, who at that point will be the under dogs. They in turn will have to win game 6, but just barely, in a game that Boston dominates, but the Canucks still win in OT.

So going back to Vancouver for game 7 the Bruins are still favoured, and I can still back the Canucks even as they waltz over the Bruins but by then it’s too late for me to even start hoping for a close game because I have used up all my back and forth mojo.

You getting this Bettman, NBC. I am talking ratings through the roof here.

• Old Bald Bird says:

In that case, let me declare that I see the Nucks as definite underdogs. I think Boston should take it easily — probably in three games.

— formerly notbigbird –

46. RetroMikey says:

If you want to support Canada, support the Bruins. They have 17 Canadian players on their roster (paid players) while Vancouver only has 10.
    Hell yeah! I’m rooting for the Bruins!
    Let’s go Boston!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Ugh. Just go away.

• HardHabits says:

He’s got a point.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

And how many Canadian players do the Habs have? 11. So, if I am to follow RetroMikey’s reasoning, I should always support the Bruins over the Habs too then, right?

*rolls eyes*

I will not support the Bruins under ANY circumstances. Especially not this year, when so much has happened between them and the Habs and the league has made it so blatantly obvious that the Bruins get preferential treatment. F the Bruins.

I hope the Canucks mop the floor with them.

• Mattyleg says:

…unfortunately it’s my point.
          I made it lower down in a different context.
          RM just cut and pasted it, and claimed it for his own.

Nothing like being misquoted!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• saskhabfan says:

Yeah,that’s a great point. While we are at it just switch allegiances every year to whatever team dresses the most canadian players on opening night. Man i seriously can’t believe how dumb people can be. Does anybody really think RM would cheer for vancouver if they had more canadian players then boston? BTW the bruins have the same amount of canadians as tampa bay and they were the last team RM wanted to win. Its funny making the retrolosers and manapharts look like idiots on a daily basis.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I especially loved manapart’s comment that every team has 3 players like Price, P.K. and Pacioretty.

• kempie says:

USA! USA! USA!

• habaddict_andy says:

Just because there are Canadian players does not make them Canadian team. Bottom line is Boston is not a Canadian team and Vancouver is. Yet despite the fact that I do not like Boston players I’m sorta rooting for Boston. We’ll beat them next year again more than we loose to them. And this time they won’t be able beat us in playoffs. You heard it here first.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• OneTimer says:

Retromikey wishes the Bulldogs were the Bruins’ farm team.

• Sharks9 says:

Yea but if Vancouver wins, the Cup is owned by a CANADIAN city. If Boston wins, it’s owned by an AMERICAN city for the year. Who cares where the players are from?

25 before 14

• doug19 says:

Boston is USA with the lower dollar what’s Canadian about that?

47. Mavid says:

Habs fan cry about injuries? Why not we have our fair share I live in Ottawa home of the BIGGEST whiners in the NHL talk about excuse makers injuries, the shedule, the flu, the refs, the ice, the traveling, the refs and oh the refs. They think have a team of elite superstars who just cannot cut a break. Habs fans are at least a thousand times smarter then they are so if we want to make excuses as least they are legit. And enough with Gomez are you not sick of flogging this dead horse.

• el heffe says:

i, for one, will never grow tired of flogging Gomez. Both my arms may fall off at their sockets and still the whip will be held snuggly between my teeth as i whip and whip his overpaid backside.

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

48. OverseasFan2 says:

I’m totally behind the Canucks. I’d love to see the Cup back on this side of the border. And I can’t imagine how any Habs fan could be rooting for the Bruins. (Just to justify our loss to them weeks ago? After what they did to us?)
    Put away the bitterness, my friends. Let’s root for the last standing Canadian team in this Stanley Cup race.

• habstrinifan says:

You convinced me! I have been neutrally placid before because I thought whoever came out of the East will be Vanc.

I kinda still think so and after I read A Basu’s analysis I am even more inclined that way.

But I am with you.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

• Mattyleg says:

Not backin’ the Bs or anything, but I don’t get the “Cup To Canada” idea. It doesn’t matter where the teams are from, in my opinion.

This means, bizarrely enough, that if Boston wins, the Cup will come to Canada more often over the summer. If the Bs win, the Cup will be in the States for ONE visit (Thomas), while if Vancouver wins, it will be there 5 times.

Not that I care at all, but this whole ‘Canada’s Team’ thing bugs me, like we have to support Vancouver because the franchise is in Canada.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Bruins should play this as their theme song

50. topher5468 says:

Why cant I see my comments

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

51. topher5468 says:

why

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

52. habs001 says:

one poster keeps stating that we are an elite team in scoring but have had bad luck for 2 years in scoring based on chances to score…but chances to score is misleading as we have so many forwards that even if they have twice as many scoring chances as other forwards on other teams still would not score as many goals..

53. topher5468 says:

why cant I post

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

54. Exit716 says:

I love how the HNIT perception of Max Lapierre immediately changed once he became a Canuck. No longer a loathesome vermin diver when he played for the Habs, he now plays with an edge and does what it takes to win a game and get the advantage. He’s still the same player…

55. Mattyleg says:

Guh.
    I could care less about who wins this.
    Like Boone said, Bs win, we lost to the Champs.
    The Vs win, we have to listen to yapyapyap about “Canada’s Team” which is even more annoying coming from obnoxious Vancouver fans.

I think the best thing that can happen is another infuenza epidemic that kills millions and shuts down the Cup Finals. What do you think? There’s no downside!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. savethepuck says:

I am on the side of GO CANADA’S team. I didn’t mind the
    Bruins winning the East ( as much as I hate them) because the Habs took them to 7 games and 3 of the losses in OT ( and yes I’ve read all the negative posts about that meaning nothing because we lost the series) . I admit I stopped coming on here for a while because I was getting sick of the hard on so many of you had for Guy Boucher here too, if not for that I may of been pulling for TB a little more. He’s not the coach of the Habs, get over it.
    As for Basu’s article I have mentioned many times on here that the Habs were only 1 lucky bounce, or more reallistically 1 less lucky Bruins bounce, away from advancing to round 2. Unlike what Mr. Basu implies, in no way did I think that meant we would be guaranteed beating The Caps in round 2 and either the Flyers or TB in the conference final.
    I am just a fan that thinks if we stay healthy we are one of the elite teams which includes this past season and especially next season with our young talent ( PK, MaxP, Eller, DD etc…) having another year of NHL experience, considering how much they improved over the last season.

57. HUDSONHAB says:

Can someone (who actually knows) tell me why the finals don’t start tonight? Don’t give me the arena availability excuse because I checked the Rogers Arena evevts and there is nothing there untill June 1st.
    Why are the Bruins getting 5 days to rest and leaving the Nucks 8 days to get rusty. The Nucks played 2 days after their 7 game series.
    It just seems like the Bruins get all the breaks from the NHL powers that be.

….Hab4life….

• zaq007 says:

Well I know the Cup final games were already determined when the playoffs started like for contests and stuff, there could be other reasons why also

58. JayBee says:

I’m so tired of the injury excuse. Other teams have had to deal with injuries, yet time and time again Hab fans bark the loudest about their injuries. Injuries are part of the game. The Bruins have been missing Savard and yet I rarely hear about him from them. You think their PP would be this bad with Savard in the lineup?

Lets get a bigger/tougher team so we don’t have to deal with all these injuries year in and year out.

The loss of Gorges has been overblown – He’s a bottom pairing defenceman. I like him, but he is what he is.

Markov…yes he’s great, but was replaced with Wiz who did add some offense…of course, he wasn’t as good as Markov but it’s not like Markov’s production wasn’t replaced.

Pacioretty…He was a hell of a player, but he does not get called up if the Habs knew how to actually score.

Management needs to get their act together and address the size and top 6 issue. I somehow get the feeling we’ll be talking about a hole in the top 6 next year though. Hopefully that’ll push Molson to clean house.

• Ton says:

You must be man aparts relative!! In the end the habs lost in game 7 of overtime to the possible stanley cup champions.

The question is would the missing players have prevented two less goals in the series, and would they have contributed two more goals in the series. If the answer is yes we would have won the series. My answer is yes.

• JayBee says:

Oh please.

Habs lost in the 1st round, period. I don’t care how they lost. The point is they lost after having a 2-0 series lead. If you don’t think there are some serious holes with this team, you’re crazy.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda is for losers. Of the 24 cups the Habs have won. Do we know of the injury issues of the teams they beat? No…no one talks about injuries in the grand scheme of things….just losers.

• HardHabits says:

In ’93 the Habs lost the first two games of round 1 to the Nordiques. We know the rest of the story.

• habstrinifan says:

Dont agree with everything you said but your bootom line should be pasted on the WALL in PG’s office.

HABS lost in the FIRST round PERIOD! And in no game did we win convincingly. And even after a two game lead we COULD NOT get the right response from our coach and team to swing the series our way.. despite Bruins frailty at that time.

• saskhabfan says:

If the habs have that many serious holes what does this say about the bruins who needed 3 overtime games and a game 7 to beat us? I’m sure you will have a dandy of an excuse for the bruins though. That’s what losers do,right?

• JayBee says:

There’s no excuse. Have you ever heard of matchups? Some teams match up better. Are the Habs better than Philly now?

Would you honestly say that the Habs were a better team than Pittsburgh and Washington last year? Really?

• saskhabfan says:

Now your using, matchups as your excuse? Talk about weak. The flyers were garbage without pronger/carter and with lousy goaltending. Any team would have beaten them including us. Enough with your crying and weak assed excuses already. The habs could just as easily be sitting where the bruins are right now whether you like it or not. Since you are already saying the habs match up well with the bruins.

• JayBee says:

You don’t think certain teams matchup better against other teams? WTF is wrong with you?As garbage as the Flyers were, I still think they’re a better team than the Habs.

Excuse? What excuse(s) have I made? List them. Bruins are a better team, period.

• saskhabfan says:

The funny thing about manpharts is he claims hab injuries are a weak and lame excuse,but get this,used the injury excuse for halaks poor play in st.louis this season. LMAO>

• habaddict_andy says:

I see your trying to be clever and prove that we are not that great. All that you are doing is point out A to B scenario. That is ok but the problem your analysis are selective, the type of cup half empty perspective personality use.

Wiz is awesome, he is a point shot guy we needed. He pays well with the puck and he take chances. The difference between him and Markov, he’s not as great in his own. Perhaps you have forgotten what it’s like when Markov has the puck. When he does, the players calms down cause he’s so confident with the puck.

Gorges is a solid stay at home player. When you say he is a bottom pairing defenceman, I’m not sure what you mean. Is it because he does not score as much. Before he went down, he was our number PK guy in the back end. When I describe him in two words I say he is “The Rock”

It does not matter why Pacioretty was called up for. When he was called up, he made Gomez and Gionta better. He was the best scorer against Boston.

Eller seemed to be getting more confidence and brings another size. All we need is a winger that can play with plekanec and Cammalleri if Kostitsyn ends up playing on the third line.

If your gonna prove that we are not that good in HIO, you could at least do a better job in analyzing which you call is the size issue.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• JayBee says:

I clearly said Markov was far better than Wiz. But Markov has been gone for the last 2 playoffs. You can no longer use his absence as an excuse. He was also replaced. It’s not like the Habs had to make do and put a rookie in his place. That’s what I meant by Wiz replacing Markov.

Eller is not ready for 2nd line center. If the Habs management didn’t bill him as being NHL ready, he would have been sent down last year. I like him, but he’s not ready.

Gorges is a bottom pairing D and quite overrated among Hab fans. He blocks shots, absolutely….he’s a good character guy and is hard working. He is unable to clear in front/around the net, gets creamed along the boards and has non-existent offensive abilities.

Honestly, the crying about injuries is overblown…and Habs fans do it every year. In addition, when the Habs were completely healthy they hung on to beat Boston (an 8th seed) in 7 games and got destroyed by Philly.

Size/toughness is an issue, if you can’t see that, then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m nto sure how you can watch the opposing teams consistently dictate the pace and be happy with this current team. Rope a dope, hanging on for dear life. uuuuuuuuhhh

• HardHabits says:

That’s a bit too much realism for this crowd but I thank you for that fresh splash of water in the face. Your post is invigorating.

Here’s my take. When a team gives up 10-20 inches and 50-100 pounds per shift it makes a difference over the course of many games and certainly into the play-offs.

• Propwash says:

The fact remains that a large chunk of the team’s starting lineup was injured. Size and grit and top6 just doesn’t magically appear with a wave of a wand, as some here believe.

• JayBee says:

The apologists are in rare form today. Those of us who have wanted a bigger/stronger team in the top 6 have been asking for this for years.

The failure to address these needs did not just happen yesterday. Obviously power forwards are difficult to get, but at least make an attempt.

The trade deadline had Jeff Halpern on the top line. Our management did not see an issue with that. That’s my problem with this group. The inability to fill needs. That’s why great GM’s are “great”. They do what is needed to fill holes…even if it seems next to impossible.

Yzerman I wouldn’t consider great…but I like him. He came in, saw what was needed and addressed it. Got Ellis in the offseason. He stunk…(Habs GM would have clossed up shop and talked about roofs)…Yzerman went out and got Roloson. They had defensive issues…Yzerman got Brewer. He got rid of Mezaros’ big contract. He went and signed Dominic Moore.

Some guys have it and some guys don’t. Gainey/The Ghost are not good GM’s. Their track record is awful.

59. habs-hampton says:

Interesting conspiracy article.
    What I find compelling is the NHL’s stance that Campbell doesn’t get involved in any rulings involving the Bruins.
    Well, can some explain to me how any game, at anytime doesn’t involve the Bruins?
    If Ryan Kesler gets involved in an incident in the final game of the Sharks series and does something stupid, can Campbell rule on it? Would Kessler suspension help the Bruins?
    If Habs and Rangers meet in November and Subban and Staal start swinging sticks at each other, would suspending them help the B’s? What if the B’s next 2 games are against Mtl and NY?
    You can’t argue that he only rules on Bruins games, it makes no sense!!

• savethepuck says:

And how can Colin’s subordinate make an unbiased decision on his bosses son’s team?

• 21272andme says:

The conflict of interest goes well beyond the fact that Colin Campbell and that his son plays for the Bruins:

The Globe adds that one of the biggest backers to get Bettman the extension was Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who is the league’s chairman of the board of governors. As chairman, one of Jacobs’s duties is to keep the commissioner and the other key executives under contract.

So even when Campbell recuses himself, any other executive has to rule against their boss and boss’s boss — since the Bruins’ owner decides compensation and term of all the key NHL executives contracts.

• issie74 says:

And why was it finally announced yesterday Nathan Horton had to pay a fine for squirting water at a Tampa fan and then throwing the bottle at him.

If P.K does that it’s on every sportshow from here to timbukto,he get’s a suspension and is told he is a disgrace to the game etc etc

60. Mavid says:

I have always had a soft spot for Higgy and even more for Lappy even just wearing his shirt irritated some of my co workers. That smile and those faces I truly miss him just one more reason to cheer for the Canucks

61. eric says:

what if we had Markov and gorges. What if Gomez was the player he was supposed be to. What if we would have won one of our first 2 games at home.What if we would have had boucher as coach.
    What if we could have won a few more face offs. What if…what if…what if eh

• issie74 says:

and what if the forwards had buried all those pucks in wide open nets … scoring was down for the whole team… plain and simple.

• habstrinifan says:

If you can convince me that the team DID NOT play that series with the SAME inconsistencies and lack of drive that they exhibited all season I would accept your what ifs.

I have poste dthat in the final analysis we went on a losing streak( games 3 4 and 5) similar to all the losing streaks we had during the season. And the coaching failed to stop it as they did during the season.

62. mrhabby says:

why keep on talking about the boons and what if’s.
    the Canadiens have won 2 cups over 25 year span…sigh.
    aside from the history, the Canadiens are just another organization trying to find glory.

25 years …2 cups…sigh, sigh

You just knew that the time would come when we would pick the Higgins/Laps scab. That time is now as the two of them close in on a Cup ring ahead of Hab stalwarts such as Markov, Pleks and Cammy.

Chris Higgins – One of the two golden boys who would lead the Habs to the promised land. Three straight 20+ goal seasons led to the notion that Higgins would be a perennial 30 goal scorer. He was even mentioned as captain material along with Komisarek. A quick reality check sees him playing for four teams in four years. He has now found his true role as a 3rd/4th liner who can compliment a team’s secondary bottom six. I seriously doubt he ever would have been able to do that in Montreal and brought a good return in the Gomez deal (it’s not Higgins’ fault that Gomez has been a bust).

Maxim Lapierre – Discared at the age of 25 for very little in return (a 5th round pick!). Gauthier’s excuse that Laps requested a trade is as lame as can be. Is that your best management style? Lapierre is a pain in the ass and is certainly not everybody’s cup of tea. However, you just know he will show up in the playoffs. He would have certainly been as good if not better than Pouliot, Moen, Pyatt, Halpern or Eller in this year’s post-season. We should have at least kept him until we could get a better return.

• kempie says:

Higgins and Lappy have my blessing should they get their names engraved. I’m good with that, I’ve made peace with the situation and everything that happened. I wish them good fortune. Ryder, on the other hand, well… Not that I’m sorry he’s gone or anything like that. He’s not even in the top ten of hate-able bruins. However, if the unthinkable happens, I hope they spell his name wrong.

• Clay says:

Good call on Laps and Higgins, Steve.
      And you’re right – it certainly it’s not Higgins’ fault that Gomez has been a bust. That blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Bob Gainey, and none other (unless PG had a hand in it?). I love Gainey – I grew up idolizing him, actually. But even if Gomez played like he did in his best 4 seasons, it was still a bad trade. Too much money for an average playmaker who could never put the puck in the net.

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

• shootdapuck says:

Of course Goatier had a hand in it his fingerprints are all over the Gomez trade!

He was head of Pro-Scouting and no doubt would have authored the recommendation to acquire Gomez!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• issie74 says:

If I remember the trade properly … the Rangers were to pick up half of the Gomez salary … the habs would pick up the cap hit … don’t forget the players in the deal … didn’t equal the gomez contract in any way… something for all the capologist out their to think about.

• Old Bald Bird says:

How does the fact that he deteriorated from his first year year to the second become Gainey’s fault? Maybe it’s actually Gomez’s fault that he’s been a bust. As much as we might agree that it was a bad trade, I’m holding Gomez responsible for his poor play. Right now, I’d be happy enough if he played more like he did in much of his first year here because he was awful last year.

— formerly notbigbird –

• mrhabby says:

good for laps and higgins getting there name on the cup(conditional)…right place at right time.

• shootdapuck says:

Don’t you find it odd that two teams in one season discarded Yappierre?

Both teams playoff bound no less!

Must be something there beyond a personal conflict with JM or Goatier!

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• saskhabfan says:

How many other teams discarded higgins between us and the canucks? Lapierre was also discared like a used condom by the playoff bound ducks. You guys do realize he scored 1 goal in 40 regular season games since he was traded.

• habstrinifan says:

o conflict re Laps.. JM didnt use him.. he asked out and PG acted too hastily. That is the problem we now have in HABS CAMP. With PG and jm WE HAVE ONE MINDSET.. and a pretty closed one.

I am afraid for the organization unless they change.
        And Geoff Molson does not seem to have the gonads of his ANCESTORS.

• Exit716 says:

Higgins for Gomez woud have been fine. The Tom Pyatt for Ryan McDonagh deal is a joke. That’s what it worked out to be.

64. Clay says:

I pull for the Canucks not because I hate the Bruins (I certainly don’t like many of their players though – and despise a few of their alumni), but because I will always pull for a Canadian team over an American one for the Cup.
    Except Toronto…although I just may pull for them over the Bruins. However, speculating on Toronto being in position to win a cup is to live in the realms of fantasy…

__________________________

65. LA Loyalist says:

I’ll second Serious’ praise to the Hammer. Thank you Hammer! You worked your ass off for Habs. Wish we’d had you 10 years ago at your peak.

Secondly, I am no fan of Van, but Bruins have to lose, preferably choking spectacularly after an early lead.

The closer to the chalice, the more satisfying for us.

See you on draft day, gang.

66. Exit716 says:

Biggest difference between the Habs, Bruins and Canucks.
    The Cup finalists have real first line centres.
    Montreal has a second line centre that’s overworked and we know who the other alleged first line guy is supposed to be.

• LA Loyalist says:

Um, yep. Thanks Bob! Scott Gomez, the human boat anchor.

• saskhabfan says:

Is saku still playing? Your excuse has always been saku was never given quality wingers to succeed in the playoffs. This year he played behind the top scoring line in hockey and had an 80 point guy as a winger. What’s your excuse now? Surrounded by too much talent?

• Exit716 says:

I’m sure Saku didn’t have to apologize to his teammates after the Nashville series for sucking dog balls all season long like Alaska’s favourite stand up comedian.
          Molson can show some courage and get rid of Gomez….

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

While I agree that the Habs don’t really have a legitimate 1st-line centre (I think Pleks is a great 2nd centre), I don’t agree that the Bruins have one. Neither Krejci or Bergeron are 1st-line centres. Bergeron may be slightly better than Pleks because he is great at faceoffs. But that’s it. All 3 are very close in terms of talent and production.

Tyler Seguin may be a 1st-line centre in the future but he certainly isn’t right now.

Don Cherry tells it like he sees it.

Here’s a great quote that certainly is food for thought. On sports reporters: “You see them with their Twitters and their phones. That’s all they do”.

68. shootdapuck says:

No ambivalence but disgust at the thought of Yappierre even being in the same room as the Stanley Cup!

A complainer who essentially was dumped by two teams in one season is a distinct comment.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I wonder what Ryan Clowe thinks about Lapierre’s yapping, oh yeah, took him right off his game and was thinking about the days in Junior hockey while Laps was thinking about the Stanley Cup. I hope he does the same to Horton, Lucic, Marchand et all and goads them into taking penalties. How could you not like what Max does, I’d take him back on the Habs in a heartbeat!

69. HNS says:

F the Booins. GO CANADA!

70. habstrinifan says:

Hopefully with his permission I am pasting a section of Basu’s article here.

It is 100 percent realistic. More truth told here than many Hio fans want to believe and that PG and JM had seemed to grasp at the end of the season.

I quote..
    “But extrapolating that reality of playing one great series into an automatic trip to the Stanley Cup final if a bounce had gone the Canadiens way is pushing it way too far.
    And if Canadiens management has any of those thoughts creeping into their minds they should forget them immediately and focus instead on the formidable task of assembling a team that can at least open the playoffs at home next season.

Should they succeed in doing only that, it would be for just the second time in 20 years.”

Great article A. Basu. Go read it everyone.

• issie74 says:

We all have opinions as fans … just as Basu has but let us not fall into the idea we are the experts and the people who’s job’s are to ice a team … have any form of similarity. It is just guessing or hoping for fans … our jobs on the line.

71. topher5468 says:

I cant root for the Bruins, not ever. Go Canucks

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

72. topher5468 says:

Not me, I can’t root for the bruins, Go Canucks
    “It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

73. G-Man says:

May the Canucks sweep the brucking fuins who deserve nothing but scorn and lingering injuries.

• kempie says:

Exactly. I hope the hockey gods instruct the karma police to visit the bruins, throw a sack over their heads and drag them off into the night. I suggest a healthy dose of inept power plays, nicked skate blades, separated shoulders from missing their dirty hits, broken sticks in the face of open nets, busted teeth from pucks in the chops, a mystery bench-shortening virus, high ankle sprains and profound frustration and a humiliating 4-game sweep culminating in a demoralizing, ugly game 4 loss on home ice during which they are bood unmercifully and Neely’s head explodes all over his cheap suit.

Go Nucks.

74. habstrinifan says:

Boone: ” Or do Canadiens fans want a Boston win that offers the satisfaction of knowing our guys took the Cup champions to OT in a seventh game?”

Dont want to anger the MAN but I just got more depressed reading Boone’s line. I really hope that most HIO fans are ‘over’ the glow they seemed to have that we extended the Bruins. Once upon a time the measure of success would have been way way greater.

I want the HABS to return to level where we expect more.

• habstrinifan says:

And then I scroll to links and see Apron Basu’s What if? You know it’s on the same theme. I think I’ll wait till my breakfast digests before I rea d it.. not cause of teh writing but cause of the subject.

What ifs? are again symptomatic of a losing mentality.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I hate the Canucks as as much as I hate the Bruins, which is exactly as much as I hate all 29 teams in this league who don’t wear red white blue with a CH, so I don’t care who wins. I’ll probably watch the clinching game, but not much else. I’m a hockey fan and the NHL isn’t hockey so much to me anymore. I get more enjoyment out of watching 4 on 4 old timers shiny, after I get off the ice from playing 4 on 4 old timers shiny, than I do watching the NHL product, unless it involves the Habs.

That being said, I’d rather spend the summer knowing we did all we could, and lost to the winner, than knowing we did all we could and lost to another loser.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!