‘Fearless leader’ Koivu puts up his dukes

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes from Ottawa that Canadiens captain Saku Koivu had a few near misses in Ottawa on Saturday, some luckier than others. The first near miss resulted in Andrei Markov’s goal when the puck took a Habs bounce right to the defenceman at the blue line for a one-timer.

There was disappoitment in the third period when Koivu came in on Senators goalie Martin Gerber, but was unable to beat the netminder with a backhand that went off the post.

And then there was the near fight with Patrick Eaves. Despite dropping the gloves, neither player received a fighting major and that kept Koivu’s record unblemished. Throughout his NHL career, the Finnish player has never received a fighting major.

1. Lee Hayes says:

Just another example of the quality of character our captain possesses.
    Saku is our first line center. He’s earned it.

Go Habs Go

2. Chuck says:

Speaking of captains, here’s an article that I found today relating to the league’s best at wearing the “C”:

It’s not to difficult to figure out whot the writer’s favourite team is, considering it was the second-last paragraph before he even got around to mentioning that Montreal was Ottawa’s opponent.

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

3. gmd says:

Although Ryder is not scoring it would be a mistake to trade Ryder for Bourdon, or for any Canuck player. I live in Vancouver and watch most of the Canuck games. The only reason they win is because of Luongo as their defence is terrible on the whole.

I think Koivu is probably one of the best captains in hockey and is under rated. Huet played great and the shots that beat him weren’t soft goals.

4. showey47 says:

begin wasn’t scratched, he was injured agaist the bruins.

5. RetroMikey says:

I was not able to watch the game yesterday afternoon, so I cannot voice my opinion, but from what I have read on this site and surfed the net, we played a great game as a team as a whole and should keep our heads high. But, I would like to know is why Guillame Latendresse was inserted into the lineup and Steve Begin was benched against an opponent like Ottawa, who are very fast and skillful? Can someone give me an answer? What concerns me is the first line. They are not scoring and I hope it is a slump short term. Our first line should be scoring, yes? That is what a first line is supposed to do, is to produce and if our first line is in a slump, we are going to have problems. Sure, I’ll take 2 points as long as we’re winning but we must improve the first line even if it means breaking up the Koivu-Ryder-Higgins line.

Cristobal Huet and Carey Price are the best 1-2 goalie tandem in the league!

Looking forward to going to the Toronto match Tuesday night as always and proudly wearing my Habs jersey. Hopefully the team will not disappoint us and spank the Leafs big time. Play hard boys and you will be rewarded! GO HABS GO!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

6. showey47 says:

bourdon would be a nice addition to the d’corps but we need scoring forwards more than we need help on he blueline. Its been our blue line and goaltending that has been consistently good all season.