‘Fearless leader’ Koivu puts up his dukes

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes from Ottawa that Canadiens captain Saku Koivu had a few near misses in Ottawa on Saturday, some luckier than others. The first near miss resulted in Andrei Markov’s goal when the puck took a Habs bounce right to the defenceman at the blue line for a one-timer.

There was disappoitment in the third period when Koivu came in on Senators goalie Martin Gerber, but was unable to beat the netminder with a backhand that went off the post.

And then there was the near fight with Patrick Eaves. Despite dropping the gloves, neither player received a fighting major and that kept Koivu’s record unblemished. Throughout his NHL career, the Finnish player has never received a fighting major.

1. Lee Hayes says:

Just another example of the quality of character our captain possesses.
    Saku is our first line center. He’s earned it.

Go Habs Go

2. Chuck says:

Speaking of captains, here’s an article that I found today relating to the league’s best at wearing the “C”:

It’s not to difficult to figure out whot the writer’s favourite team is, considering it was the second-last paragraph before he even got around to mentioning that Montreal was Ottawa’s opponent.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

3. gmd says:

Although Ryder is not scoring it would be a mistake to trade Ryder for Bourdon, or for any Canuck player. I live in Vancouver and watch most of the Canuck games. The only reason they win is because of Luongo as their defence is terrible on the whole.

I think Koivu is probably one of the best captains in hockey and is under rated. Huet played great and the shots that beat him weren’t soft goals.

4. showey47 says:

begin wasn’t scratched, he was injured agaist the bruins.

5. RetroMikey says:

I was not able to watch the game yesterday afternoon, so I cannot voice my opinion, but from what I have read on this site and surfed the net, we played a great game as a team as a whole and should keep our heads high. But, I would like to know is why Guillame Latendresse was inserted into the lineup and Steve Begin was benched against an opponent like Ottawa, who are very fast and skillful? Can someone give me an answer? What concerns me is the first line. They are not scoring and I hope it is a slump short term. Our first line should be scoring, yes? That is what a first line is supposed to do, is to produce and if our first line is in a slump, we are going to have problems. Sure, I’ll take 2 points as long as we’re winning but we must improve the first line even if it means breaking up the Koivu-Ryder-Higgins line.

Cristobal Huet and Carey Price are the best 1-2 goalie tandem in the league!

Looking forward to going to the Toronto match Tuesday night as always and proudly wearing my Habs jersey. Hopefully the team will not disappoint us and spank the Leafs big time. Play hard boys and you will be rewarded! GO HABS GO!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

6. showey47 says:

bourdon would be a nice addition to the d’corps but we need scoring forwards more than we need help on he blueline. Its been our blue line and goaltending that has been consistently good all season.

7. ukhab says:

I was a bit confused about the penalty shots last night. The CBC team seemed to suggest that Koivu wasn’t impeded enough for it to be a penalty shot however there was enough to call a penalty on the Ottawa player. Surely if he was clean through on goal and there is enough interference to call a penalty there is enough for a penalty shot. Are there really different “grades” of penalty in this situation?

8. Naila Jinnah says:

I believe that a penalty shot is called if the opposing player takes out (or attempts to take out) the player rather than the puck. Which is what Breezer did, thanks to a very smart spur of the moment decision by a quick Sen ;) You’ll notice that the he puts the puck way on the other side which forces Brisebois to take out the player first. And therefore results in a penalty shot.

In Koivu’s situation, the Sen touched the puck first, then took Koivu out.

9. Lafrich says:

Hey TradeRyder: You hit it on the head…almost…
    Although I agree fully that Ryder plays too simple a game to be on the first line, I think he is perfect for a third line. I don’t understand the insistence of Carbonneau to use him on one of the top two lines.

We should give him less responsibility, and play him on a line of bangers, Guys that will throw the puck at the net. I think he would fit perfectly on a line with Smolinski and possibly Latendresse. Yes, Latendresse. I know he skates about as well as I fly, but he is very young, and I think he will be VERY GOOD in a few years. Look at Vincent Lecavalier and Joe Thornton. They each took a few years to blossom.

10. Dave39 says:

Carbo is just trying to give ryder his chances but It aint looking good….

11. Habs24 says:

Koivu has the heart of a LION…the Ottawa game was proof though, that we do not have an impact player, and maybe we are just one impact player away from winning a game like yesterdays…Kudos to Koivu!!!

12. showey47 says:

At least he will drop the gloves unlike sundin, mats will just stick you in the face or cross-check you from behind.

13. teamplayer says:

the thing i didnt like about alfredsson getting a penalty shot is that he was already off balance before mtl defencemen touched him… he knew the habs player was going to dive for the puck and was already ready on taking a dive… i still think it was a penalty shot but it shouldve been 2 min for diving too or atleast put him on the nhl watchlist