Fantasy Habs blown away by ‘Canes

CareyPrice

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Monday night’s game between the Canadiens and the Carolina Hurricanes at the Bell Centre.

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Alexander Semin and the Staal brothers combined for four goals and eight points as the Carolina Hurricanes blew away the Canadiens 6-0 Monday night at the Bell Centre.

“It started bad and it just got worse,” said defenceman Josh Gorges. “I don’t think it was a lack of effort but it seemed that everything they did worked and we couldn’t get anything going.”

The Hurricanes took control of the game when they scored three goals in a 5:04 span midway through the first period.

Semin and Jordan Staal appear to be thriving after moving to Carolina in the off-season.

Semin, who signed a one-year, $7-million contract after the Washington Capitals became disillusioned with his inconsistent play, scored his 14th and 15th  goals of the season and added an assist.

Jordan Staal, who was traded from Pittsburgh after he tired of playing in the shadow of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, scored a goal while his brother, Eric, had a goal and three assists.

Anthony Stewart and Jussi Jokinen scored the other Carolina goals.
Semin opened the scoring at 9:07 of the first period, Jordan Staal made it 2-0 at 10:29 and Stewart scored at 14:10. Semin made it 4-0 at 5:20 of the second period and that was the cue for coach Michel Therrien to yank starting goaltender Carey Price.

“We have three more games this week and a busy road schedule the rest of the month and the game was out of reach,” explained Therrien. “We couldn’t get any momentum and I thought that Carey could use the rest. And Peter (Budaj) hasn’t played for a while. We have back-to-back games coming up and this gives him some game action.”

Cam Ward registered the shutout for the Hurricanes. He made 23 saves with 12 of them coming in the first period.

“I felt pretty good to start the game and I got solid support,” said Ward. “I felt a little sorry for Carey because I’ve been in games like that when nothing goes your way. They had a chance early in the game when I think it was (Max) Pacioretty had an opening but he broke his stick on the shot. If he scores the first goal, it’s a different game.”

The Canadiens are in New York to play the Rangers Wednesday and return to the Bell Centre Thursday against the Stanley Cup-champion Los Angeles Kings. They are in Buffalo Saturday and then play the Sabres at home on Monday before leaving on a six-game road trip.

1. frontenac1 says:

Free at Last! Free at Last! Ikea Monkey is Free at Last!

2. The Dude says:

When it’s broken …you got to fix it.Long term multi million dollar contracts well into their 40′s in a pro league that has too many teams,too many games and in the wrong places.When you hear multi millionaire athletes destroy their own for as much as THEY can get every 4 years …then it’s over! These negotiations should be about 1)Moving teams to places like Seattle and Quebec city 2) Closing down other failed teams”thus reducing the amount of games and improving the quality of players “Blundens etc are AHL’ers” 3) Look at Cities sharing teams 4) Improving the pension plans 5)Performance based contracts ! 6)Other ways of negotiations that don’t involve work stoppages,lock-outs or strikes ‘ENOUGH !” ….OR JUST STAY CLOSED!

3. Kooch7800 says:

Looks like the talking heads will start meeting again tomorrow…

would be great to be a fly on the way in that one. After all the shots these fools have been taking at each other I can’t imagine it will be a awkward meeting at first

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

4. commandant says:

Mitch’s lockout take and why this latest cancellation isn’t Armageddon, yet.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

Yeah, so Gerry…..
      Watch any football last night? ;)

EDIT: This is what stood out under the category of “Calmer heads prevailing”:

“They’re too close not to get it done,” he said. “They just hate each other so much, they’re throwing their last haymakers.”

Unfortunately I did, what a waste of time. Patriots look great, but I was hoping to watch a good game.

This is why QB’s like Brady, Manning squared, Roethlisberger, Brees are in a different category than Schaub, Ryan, and the other pretenders.

5. Mattyleg says:

Man and woman out shopping, man spots a case of 12 beer on sale for $12. He gleefully picks it up, but as he’s about to put it in the trolley, the wife shakes her head and says, “too expensive.”

The man puts the beer back with a scowl and continues shopping, muttering under his breath.

They turn into the cosmetics aisle and the woman picks up a pot of $24 face cream and drops it into the trolley without a glance at her husband.

The man sees that, and says, “Hey! What’s that?”

The wife says, “oh, come on. It makes me look beautiful.” The husband is incredulous, and says:

“So does the case of beer, and it’s half the goddamn price!”

:) Morning all!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

A question to the good folks here who follow the Halifax Mooseheads closely. Is there any reason to worry that Jonathan Drouin is a product of Mackinnon? I have seen only 1 of their games on TV, I don’t pretend to have any insight, but can’t help but remember a certain Rob Pearson who benefitted greatly from the presence of Eric Lindros on his line in Oshawa.

Looking back at Pearson’s stats he did a have a big year in Belleville without Lindros, but never was able to do a whole lot in the NHL.

• ed lopaz says:

Drouin played here for the Midget AAA Lions in West Island of Montreal. He was too good for the league.

On many nights – not some, but many – Drouin has made Mackinnon look good, not the other way around.

He has all the tools to develop into a Claude Giroux type of player.

He is top 4 today for the 2013 NHL draft and still climbing.

To answer your question: no reason to worry.

Thanks Ed, was hoping you would provide the answer.

• ed lopaz says:

I’ve read that some think Drouin will not be kept by Team Canada.

He’s very young, the team is stacked, they have to keep Mackinnon, the lockout; tons of reasons why he should be let go.

Let me say that if Team Canada keeps Drouin he will likely emerge as one of their top offensive players – period. end of story.

It should be interesting to see what they decide to do.

• commandant says:

Drouin is very good and worthy of a ranking as a top 5 pick. Both players on that line are very good.

That said, I don’t think he’ll dominate the tournament as much as you say. This has always been a 19 year old’s tournament, and the 17 year olds who do that well are rare and usually named Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Eric Lindros, and John Tavares.

Its not typical for a draft eligible forward to be one of the top players on Team Canada. In a lockout year with 19 year olds like RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, Scheifele, it will be even tougher to stand out as you say.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hali_Hab says:

I have been to at least 80 percent of the moose home games. The thing i notice most about Drouin is that he has the ability to make who ever he plays with better. No matter who his line mates are. My personal opinion is that he may project better over the long term than MacKinnon at the NHL level. Don’t get me wrong MacKinnon is going to be great but i think Drouin is going to be a little notch above.

• scuba says:

Similar thing with Pouliot playing with Crosby but this is different. In most of the games I have been to this year Drouin has been the beter of the two. He is the only player in the CHL averaging more than 2 points a game. MacKinnon plays a big part in that but it more that they lift each other. I would think however that MacKinon is more ready for the jump up to WJC level because he is that much faster and stronger. Would love to see thse two go
      together but like Commandant said that is highly unlikely.

Watching TSN pretend they care about the NBA is getting more and more difficult. Do miss my morning hockey highlights.

8. wjc says:

My two cents worth:

Players were in a win/win situation.

If they played with old CBA, that was in there favor. Strike at later date was something they could use.

If owners locked them out, that could be their mantra…they locked us out, we wanted to play, conveniently forgetting that ten minutes after a lock out they both have a key to unlock the door. It becomes an impasse, but they forever have the excuse, we wanted to play…they locked us out.

When owners offered full 82 game season, they decided there was more juice in the orange and turned it down. Big mistake.

Latest offer by NHL gave the NHL the 3 things they say are a must in exchange for things players say are a must plus 300 million dollar make whole.

Fehr said, I think there is more juice in the orange. Moderate owners saw for themselves what Bettman has been going through and left in disgust.

Fehr plays the cool smirky guy that never gets rattled, but believe me he is. Where does Mr. Cool go from here.

Players have all the advantages, they are young, macho, good looking, well dressed, good in interviews, charismatics against the old sometimes balding, frumpy owners (uncool).

They knew the contracts signed under the old CBA could be subject to change. Subban waited. They were given bonus’s etc. but playing dumb seems to work nicely.

They tried to squeeze the orange for more juice and it backfired.

My two cents.

wjc

• Bill J says:

You assume alot, and therefore your two cents is not even worth one rubble.

That, is MY 2 cents for the day.

• Cal says:

Barney or Betty?

• Dust says:

is it because his 2 cents aren’t 100% pro players? Is that your problem.
        I agree with wjc. Well thought out point of view

• Riga Fraction says:

My guess would be because it’s 100% against Fehr and the players and 100% bass ackward at that. However, I can’t speak for him, simply offer what I saw when I read it.

There are a few rather obviously biased and/or uninformed folks that like spreading the Fehr nonsense pretty deep, WJC is definitely one of those, and one that doesn’t seem to mind insulting anyone that doesn’t share his warped views on the issue at that, so he reaped what he sowed with that one.

By the way a ruble is currently going for 3 cents Canadian so that’d actually have been worth more than 2 cents. Personally, I’d have been asking for change back instead of offering even more cash (but I knew what he was going for there)

• wjc says:

I assumed nothing, your comeback argument is worthless rubble.

Bill J you do not even add a lousy two cents, you add nothing, just insults.

wjc

• Phil C says:

I don’t see it that way at all. They agreed to the financial terms, so they were not trying to squeeze any more out of the owners. In the big picture, the players are still moving $1B to the owners’ side of the ledger compared to the last deal they signed.

The players are just very hesitant to give up any contracting rights because once they give them up, they are gone forever. I actually see the player’s offer to limit contracts to 8 years a HUGE concession by the players because they will never again be able to sign long-term contracts like most of the stars have now. No more deals like what Kovalchuk, Hossa, Luongo, Dipietro, etc, signed. If the owners decide to take this offer, it would not surprise me that the players would regret it in the future.

Instead of treating it as a huge concession, the owners feigned outrage in an effort to undermine the NHLPA leadership. If the owners were really interested in making a deal, they would have stayed regardless of how “mad” they were. I think the owners have decided that they have come this far, they might as well push it to the brink, which is early January.

9. Riga Fraction says:

BREAKING NEWS!!!! In my XBOX game the Habs just landed Ovechkin for Darche and Crosby/Malkin for a 6th round draft pick and future considerations!

In an interview the Habs GM said, I just had to try it and it only took me taking control of the other team for a few moments to make them accept the trade and then I gave control of that team back to the computer. Wow, why the heck hasn’t Gainey or Goat tried this over the past few years? What a pair of idiots they must have been.

10. Riga Fraction says:

I call shenanigans!!! In my Xbox game the Habs won 27-0 (I’m good at this game)

11. commandant says:

In Hickey’s fantasy: Semin was all over the ice.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

…so, I logged on about 10 minutes ago, I once again felt like chucking My supper reading the header ‘Fantasy Habs blown away by ‘Canes’

…then I look down the page and see the preceeding header is on Malcolm Subban

…Malcolm may be a Bruin, but I was hoping We somehow would have lucked-out at the draft and made him a Hab …unfortunately, the worst conceivable ‘other’ team instead ‘lucked-out’, da Teddy Bears

…but Bruin or not a Bruin, a M. Subban thread was far more appetizing to read and contribute on than this nauseous bit

…why ??? in the World ruin a promising conversation goin’ on in the M. Subban thread by interjecting another very unpopular ‘fantasy’ thread ?

• HammerHab says:

wouldnt be so bad if they locked these fantasy threads….if someone wants to read them go for it, if not continue posting in the previous thread

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

13. jols101 says:

One team signs Staal and Semin, the other signs Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon, this result was bound to happen – fantasy or otherwise.

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ve got to believe these kinky Midnight Fantasies has become out of control obsessions for both Our erstwhile Mr. Hickey and His ‘creative’ editor Mr. Cowan …and, for the good of Your respective longterm health, Mr. Cowan, I suggest providing Yourselves with appropriate competent psychological counselling at Your earliest opportunities :)

Hey after 10pm and I’m posting Chris! Okay now time for sleep. Cheers HiS.

Bri, enjoy your Pats victory, looked clinical.

• 24 Cups says:

Surrey – Of course, another way to look at it is to state that the only thing worse than these fantasy reports is your constant, daily bitching about them.

I’m not sure which one drives me around the bend the most.

Your point has been made – why not give it a rest?

Virtual Habs – same useless bums.

16. Bripro says:

Still in sports…
    My Pats are giving the Texans a lesson in humility! What a spanking!

17. petefleet says:

Anybody post how our prospects did this weekend?

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

18. Haborama says:

FIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

second time in three days!!!

IM ON FIIIYYAAHHAAHHR!!!!