Fans fill Bell Centre for Red vs. White scrimmage (Video)

scrimmage hio photo

A sell-out crowd of 21,273 filled the Bell Centre Saturday for a scrimmmage that helped raised money for rebuilding efforts in Lac-Mégantic.

Fans were delighted to find a welcoming committee of Canadiens’ players when they walked into the Bell Centre. People snapped pictures, shook hands and high-fived the players as they moved along the receiving line.

“The important thing is we get to say hello to our fans and thank them for being here and supporting the initiative,” said Geoff Molson, the Canadiens’ principal owner who was at the main entrance.

Canadiens defenseman Francis Bouillon received a warm ovation in the third period when he thanked fans for attending the event.

“I think Lac-Mégantic is something that touched us all this summer. And it’s nice to see people support a cause like this,” Bouillon said after the scrimmage.

The White team won 2-1, led by a pretty back-hand goal by Martin Reway and a long shot by Stefan Fournier that slipped through Peter Budaj’s pads. Tomas Plekanec scored for the Red team.

Proceeds from the scrimmage will go to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic. Tickets cost $5 each and fans received a free hot dog, bag of chips and soft drink.

Dustin Tokarski replaced Carey Price in net in the second period and Zachary Fucale, picked 36th overall by the Canadiens’ in last June’s entry draft, took over for Budaj.

It was a banner day for Fucale. He made his Bell Centre debut and the team announced they’ve signed him to a three-year, entry level deal.

Max Pacioretty knocked into Fucale twice, the first time receiving a goaltender interference penalty. Fucale took it in stride and Pacioretty’s aggressive play won praise from coach Michel Therrien.

“I thought Patch did a really good job going hard to the net,” coach Michel Therrien said after the scrimmage.

“He’s so powerful with his speed,” Therrien said.

“We want to make sure he’s concentrating on those things because he’s one of the best skaters in the NHL,” Therrien said. “And he’s tough to contain when he’s using that speed and going hard to the net.”

Forward Sebastian Collberg, who has been out with a knee injury, took part in the scrimmage.  Collberg was a bit nervous at the start but said he felt pretty good with Charles Hudon and Martin Reway in the scrimmage.

“I didn’t expect that today,” Collberg said of the huge crowd.

“It was awesome to be out there.”

The Canadiens’ made their first cuts at training camp on Saturday. They announced that Tim Bozon, Connor Crisp and Jérémy Grégoire will return to their respective junior teams.

You can hear more of what Fucale had to say about his Bell Centre debut and new contract here:

(Video by Brenda Branswell)

And you can watch a video by Gazette photographer Peter McCabe of Canadiens’ players greeting fans at the Bell Centre with Danny Brière talking about the experience here:

1. slapshot777 says:

Soon be Furcale time

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

2. thebonscott says:

liking tinordi/pateryn, and diaz not so much, but i am sure markov and subban can make him look good.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

3. habs001 says:

When it is a no hit game Diaz is a nice asset..once teams turn on the heat Diaz is a liability…He is very limited when you have to fight for the puck..Exhibition games may not mean much but that first Sabre goal is an indication why you cannot have Diaz in the playoffs…

4. Chuck says:

Geez, some of these guys have some serious wheels…

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

5. Rad says:

Big Mac will need to improve his skating in order to hit more effectively.

6. JohninTruro says:

Drewiske is definitely just borderline, he is not changing the fact he is a 7th or 8th D. Bournival making it tough on Therrien and Bergevin. Great game for him so far, good for the confidence for the AHL this year.

7. Adidess says:

Gallagher, terrific team player.

8. twilighthours says:

We’d win the cup if we had 12 gallaghers. What a back check – in pre season – to foil that 2 on 1

9. durocher says:

Gally putting on a show out there

10. habs-fan-84 says:

Eller line putting on a clinic

11. Danno says:

CHILL!

It’s only exhibition hockey :mrgreen:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. JayK-47 says:

I hope Bournival scores 18 during the preseason.

13. brandonhab19 says:

Big Mac wins a battle leads to a rush and a goal and is now a plus 2. I think this kid is going to be a legit player for this team.

14. Adidess says:

Beautiful goal by Buffalo 2-2

15. Adidess says:

Bournival on fire!

16. habstrinifan says:

OK! ..My job here is DONE!

Remember I talked and talked about a guy who knows the ‘tempo’ of a hockey game and who can go on the ice and imperceptibly but solidly change momentum. And how HABS need one of those.

17. durocher says:

Pretty backhanded pass there

18. twilighthours says:

Hey trini your boy looked like a true sniper there!

19. habstrinifan says:

OH! OH! Get ready for the Diaz-poops brigade.

20. johnnylarue says:

Bernie!! (Bournie?)

21. ZepFan2 says:

Great passing by Diaz. Too bad it was to the other team. Does he get an assist?

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

22. Hugh Jass says:

Can someone please give an updated score? I’m in Buffalo and don’t have access to a live feed. Thanks.

23. Luke says:

Doesn’t count. I wasn’t ready.

24. Adidess says:

Guys won’t be happy with Diaz. He has so many detractors already

25. durocher says:

Diaz, Diaz, Diaz… I’m hating on him already

26. Luke says:

The entire RDS panel’s hair matches all of their suits!,,

27. durocher says:

Tinordi should be up with the big club — Diaz (and Moen) should be out. I realize Diaz is a RH shot and Tinordi a LH shot, but Tinordi can play the right side. I also realize that Diaz is an offensive player, but we have guys (Gorges and Cube) who can play the PP point and we already have two amazing offensive players (PK and Markov).

I’m also happy to see Bournival producing — the OB for Bournvial trade looks pretty good, pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay good.

28. Danno says:

Tinordi is a beast tonight.
    Gallagher is full of pee and vinegar.
    Lars is playing like N. H. Eller.
    Budaj is stopping everything.
    Good start.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

29. Strummer says:

Love the “Blue de Chanel” advert
    “She Said Yeah” by the Stones playing in the background

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

30. habstrinifan says:

The ‘real’ thing starts and a guy named Bournival scores!

31. twilighthours says:

Thoughts

Tinordi is ready. Still would rather give him minutes than Doug Murray.

Pateryn looks alright, too. His puck skills look improved.

Nygren won’t be replacing Diaz anytime soon….

McCarron looked lost most of he period but made two or three nice plays on the goal.

Bournival… One of those guys who could easily play 4th line in the NHL but probably never will. Trini!!

Reway the best of the new kids so far.

Gallagher is such a beauty.

• habstrinifan says:

Please why do you say ‘never will’… all joking or hype aside. Do you feel he is that ‘un-nhl’ bound?

• twilighthours says:

I actually think he could, but since he’s destined for the bottom 6, he’ll need to bring something extra to his game to do it. He just doesn’t have that one stand-out skill (maybe his hockey sense) to get him there. And if he does, I don’t see it being with the Habs.

Hey man I like the kid and I hope I’m wrong!

• johnnylarue says:

Bournival will make the NHL. I’d bet my rechargeable beard trimmer on it! (In used condition, but still shaves great.)

32. Jerman says:

I like how much speed reway has. I think in 2 years he will be part of the habs

33. slapshot777 says:

I see the officiating is on top of their game already. I mean seriously a linesman who is getting to drop the puck in the Habs zone and the Sabres have the extra penalty. Gally is telling the linesman the faceoff is in the other end and the linesmn is shaking his head no.

I mean really that is linesman basic rules 101.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

34. HabFab says:

The hybrid icing makes more sense after seeing it used.

35. DipsyDoodler says:

McCormick gets the instigator.

36. johnnylarue says:

Tiny’s a beast!!

Looks like Therrien has an “heureux probleme” on his hands with regards to his D squad this season…

37. DipsyDoodler says:

Tinordi hitting everything. Sabre challenges him to a fight after a hit maybe to the head. Uneventful fight.

38. habs11s says:

I don’t know who is ‘Rondelle’ kid is but he is EVERYWHERE tonight… I think he makes the team

In other news, HOCKEY IS BACK!!

_____________________________________________________________

39. HabFab says:

Did they move the nets forward also? That extra space behind the net looks more then 4″.

40. jols101 says:

Love Collberg’s maturity level out there. He is a pure sniper so the goals will come eventually but whoever taught this kid in Sweden taught him to play the full game and take care of the defensive game as well. He doesn’t look as jittery and nervous like most rookies do.

41. Adidess says:

Trini will be happy. Bournival scores!

42. DipsyDoodler says:

Habs score. Very nice play by McCarron and great shot by Bournival.

McCarron carried the puck into the Buffalo zone by deftly slipping by an attempted check. Then later made a cute back pass to Bournival in the slot.

43. habs-fan-84 says:

nice pass Big Mac

44. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Nice pass by big Mac

45. Adidess says:

McCarron playmaker! Are you kidding me!? Nice to see!

46. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Tinordi #24. Like it. What did he wear last year?

47. Adidess says:

Budaj! Does Budaj want to create controversy around the starting goaltender position?

I’m totally kidding. You guys are too quiet!

48. habs-fan-84 says:

every time I see 38 I think Jan Bulis lol

49. slapshot777 says:

Habs keeping most of the play towards the Sabres end.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

50. commandant says:

Chucky – Eller – Gally line is dominant. I expect it in this game though…

The player who has caught my eye early is Nystrom. Solid two way play and good net drive.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

51. DipsyDoodler says:

Tinordi looking good.

Gallagher reminds me of number 12.

52. alfieturcotte says:

Anyone have a link to tonight’s game?

53. Adidess says:

I like that Eller is cutting back to the middle of the offensive blue line again with no hesitation whatsoever

54. habs-fan-84 says:

Eller line is going to be exciting this year

55. Adidess says:

This Gallagher fella has no fear!

56. Sportfan says:

Safe to say Marsh isn’t the Al;s future? Or Jim Popp lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

57. jols101 says:

Here we go. With this lineup I don’t think there will be any worries about Eller and Galchenyuk not getting enough ice time. Go Habs Go.

58. Strummer says:

Eller back is a sight for sore eyes

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

59. ZepFan2 says:

FINALLY, hockey has come back to Montreal!!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

60. Adidess says:

It’s true. The Habs are on live TV again.

Bonne saison tout le monde!

61. jols101 says:

Just take a knee and end this crap so we can watch some hockey.

62. HabFab says:

Wow, just finished watching Breaking Bad… who was that earlier that was asking how it ended?

63. DipsyDoodler says:

I guess it’s as good a time as any to say

GO HABS GO!

64. Sportfan says:

Any ideas who will be in the line up tonight ? Rookie wise?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

65. Habfan10912 says:

I know all you folks with RDS will enjoy the broadcast but I’m on the couch with my ear phones on and will enjoy the sounds of hockey via TSN 690. It’s hockey and I’m happy! Cheers.

Interesting interview with Lecavalier and his desire to be in a hockey market….hmmm one would have thought Montreal also fit that description.

• DipsyDoodler says:

a hockey market with lowish income tax and where no one will pay too much attention to me if I don’t deliver, I think he meant.

• slapshot777 says:

Lacavalier can’t handle playing in Montreal period. There is a big difference in a hockey market and a knowledgeable hockey market. In Montreal Vinny can’t blow smoke up the fans ass when he takes games off, he will get away with it in Philly.

Sure he has had some good games against the Habs, but anybody can get up to play in this building for a single game, the difference comes when you have to do it for 41 games. I am glad Lecavalier never came to Montreal.
      To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

67. subbaniac76 says:

Anybody have a livestream for tonight??

For some reason 4 year olds don’t get it that a pre season Habs game is more important than Little Einsteins. … and as usual, I lost that argument.

69. Strummer says:

How many roster spots are actually up for grabs on this squad?

Other than the injury replacements for Gionta and Emelin?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

70. Bill says:

Things to look out for tonight:

1) Martin Reway: buzz out of camp is that he has crazy talent and wheels. If so, brace yourself for the wailing of the Moar Bigger crowd.

2) Zach Fucale: A chance to see him against NHL(ish) players. Not expecting much from the kid, but it’ll be interesting to see him compete, because by all accounts he’s determined and proud. If he looks good, the anti-Price faction will be contented!

3) Greg Pateryn: He’s big, reasonably mobile, apparently on a mission to play meaner, and he shoots right. If he looks good, he’s a serious competitor with Tinordi for being the first call-up on D.

4) Magnus Nygren: What I’ve read about him states that he’s got one of the heaviest shots in any league in the world, and it’s accurate. Hoping to see him bomb a couple on the power-play so I can see for myself. He’s 6’1″ (lean though) and shoots right. If he’s got the stuff, he could be a replacement for Diaz next year if the Habs decide to let Diaz go as a UFA.

5) Sebastian Collberg: How good is he? Lots of hype on his talent level, as many suggest that he and Lehkonen are the two best prospects at forward the Habs have.

6) Michael Bournival: Is this the season he could break into the line-up?

7) Mike McCarron: Truck-like size is well-known, but several tweets and reports out of camp suggested his hands are soft and his skating is much better than advertised. We get to find out tonight. Look for him in front of the net on power-plays … he’ll be hard to miss.

Lots of other story lines no doubt, but this is what I’m going to be looking at.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Harditya says:

Good points Bill, I am ecstatic to see some of the players we don’t get to see that play overseas. Especially Nygren and Collberg.

• Haberoooo13 says:

1) I think it’s awesome for the longtem prospects of our team to have a kid like this unexpectedly dazzle at camp….regardless of size.
      2) Lookout if he gets a shutout for his half!
      3) Agreed. Everyone loves Tinordi and his size, but some seem offended that someone else can challenge for a job on D.
      4) See comment for 3.
      5) It will be interesting to watch him dat fer shur.
      6) I am guessing maybe as a callup if a defensive centermen is needed.
      7) 50/50 on dropping the gloves tonight.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Haberoooo13 says:

oops.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Ncognito says:

1) I’m guessing most of the MOAR Bigger crowd have ever played the game, never were NHL scouts, never will be NHL GMs.

71. In case you missed it earlier, and want a pre-game read, today marks the day the Rocket called it quits.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

72. Chuck says:

How about this for ending more games before they go to a shootout: if a team gets a penalty in overtime, the opposing team gets to decide if they take a 2 minute power play or a penalty shot.