Fan group plans Saturday Bell Centre protest

nohockeylockout

Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan wrote on his blog Friday about the anger growing among NHL fans at the owners’ lockout set to start at midnight. Well, one of the many fan groups that have sprung up in response is trying organize a number of protests around the NHL and one is scheduled for the Bell Centre on Saturday at 1 PM.

The website NoHockeyLockout.com, which launched a few weeks ago (they also have a Facebook page), has planned protests for Montreal, as well as New York, Boston and Tampa Bay. This website and the man behind all the protests goes by the name of Russell, which he says is an alias. In an email, he wrote he owns a small business in New York and declined to identify himself further because he didn’t wish to put his business and his 25 employees as risk.

“I know that the protest will not change the world but I feel it’s necessary for me to express my anger and my sadness when I see owners and players, all of them very comfortable economically, keeping us from having a season of watching our national sport,” Quintal said via email. “I would not feel right to let this happen without knowing that I did my small part.”

Unlike Russell, the organizer of the Montreal protest is known, 18-year-old Oliver Quintal, a Rangers fan from Île-Perrot. In an email, Quintal identified himself as a blogger who writes the MontrealerHockeyReport.com.

“While I am not naive enough to believe we will stop the lockout, I do hope to raise both fan awareness to the facts, as well as show the owners, in not just the NHL but all sports, that they cannot take the fans for granted anymore,” Russell said in his email. “We are only going to continue to get more organized and it is time they look to a new way to negotiate these deals fairly. Hopefully we will have enough of an impact to cause the owners to rethink their stance, and cave sooner rather than later.”

The New York protest will be in front of the NHL offices on 6th Avenue starting at noon. The Boston protest is at TD Garden, and the one in Tampa is at the Times Forum, where the Lightning play.

1. GJH10 says:

Has the City of Montreal implemented a law yet banning Protests of Protesting the Lockout ?

2. JohnBellyful says:

How’s that fairy tale go, at the stroke of midnight the pumpkins turn into rats?

3. solomio says:

I can;t figure this apparent ground swell of support for the players.
    Fact is that the owners shot themselves in the foot at the last agreement and have to change it for the betterment of themselves.
    The owners pay ALL the billls, the players play hockey.The players are geting 57% share? Obviously the owners would be hurting.
    What do the players pay for ? Nada. nothing. zip, sfa.
    The owners have good reason. Players should realize that.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, the players have nothing to complain about, From the time they are drafted they have access to the best trainers, doctors and nutrioinsts for free. They also get equipment and personal training supplied and they aren’t helping the team make money yet. They have to be put up in 5 star hotels when travelling and get a daily per dium. The lowest paid player makes what the average Canadian makes in 10 years. Sure they have risk of injury, so do fire fighters, police officers and our armed forces and they make no where near the coin these players do. They know the risks and if they don’t like the pay, they can go find another career. There are some players who are greta people but it is time address the real issue, player safety. They talk about solidarity and then some of the rich superstars take someone elses job overseas and leave the rest of their union mates to take it on the chin and not have any income. Double talk. “We are ready t sit out as long as it takes to get a fair deal” Are you really sitting out? NO!! Fehr should not have allowed that and it should be in the NHLPA documents that in the event of a strike or lockout, players are not allowed to join other leagues. Let them get regular jobs if they need the coin. Both sides are just too greedy and unappreciative of the fans. They are both to blame!

Habfan17

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

The players can work when their careers are over. Fair enough. They don’t have a ten year working life (if they are lucky), they have ten years of hockey and then whatever comes next.
        However, the owners never have to work. It’s not so long ago they ran franchises as hobbies, until they realized the big money to be made. Now they can sit on their butts, get the family managers to hire managers and make big money from hockey.
        I’d be in favour of the players getting their salaries cut, etc, if the teams were run to pay for schools and hospitals. If Molson were building a free wing for the Children’s on the spot where they so recently sold us those bricks, I’d back him. But he’s in the high-end condo business.
        The players are blowing money on luxuries, and so are the owners. The player work on the ice. The owners’ money works, but who can support money?
        I support the beer sellers, arena employees, ticket people, office staff – the ones who do the work to enable our entertainment and are about to take a huge hit because of their employers’ intransigence. I hope the lockout is short, and I will be entertained by the poor spectacle of the NHL when it returns. I’ll even more entertained if half a dozen southern franchises go under from this, and the ensuing draft raises the quality of talent in the league.

• solomio says:

Charlie it almost sounds like you’re blaming the owners for being wealthy. Aside from luck or being born into money the wealthy usually have to work hard to get to where they are . After that yes their money can work for them but never the less the greatest fear of the wealthy is losing their wealth which breeds the need to maintain and expand their wealth. Very rarely , if at all, does a wealthy person sit around all day long doing nothing. Everybody must work, one way or another.

4. solomio says:

How about the sponsors of televised NHL games in North America.?
    Normally they would be able to get their message out to the public 8 – 9 months of the year but with this lock out that exposure is lost.
    Sponsors would have a huge impact on the length of a lock out.

5. Rozz says:

I feel that when the NHL finally ends the lock out, we the fans should lock them out of our wallets for the exact same amount of time that they kept us locked out from our beloved sport. It would be the best way to really get through to them.. if they stay locked out for 6 months then no one should go to a game or buy a damn NHL thing for 6 months when they come back… if some how we could actually achieve this I bet you would see the lock out end asap .. and they would finally stop taking us for granted!

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

6. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I was going to boycott Molson’s beer, then I realized I hadn’t bought that brand for years anyway. I could boycott merchandise, but I haven’t bought any since the pom pom fell off my Jacques Plante tuque in 1968… Plus I watch NHL games on tv. Man, I have no leverage. In seeking a way of rebelling against Bettman, I have realized that guys like me put the skate in cheapskate.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in protest, I was going to publicly burn My Habs cod-sock
    …I will prudently remove it first though

8. Bripro says:

I’m really mad at this entire situation.
    I feel like I’m breaking out of my skin!….turning green!
    Buthead had best beware!

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

I can not see it as realistic that most of Us will not return as Fans once this nightmare is over

…but, I also believe We, as Fans of Hockey, would be extremely remiss if We do not express Our utter impatience and anger to both the NHL and NHLPA

…they are both taking Us for granted, and The only way to turn that around is jump and scream as loud as possible …rather than being passive and meek as sheep

…My position, was/is not to get too excitable about the negotiation process …feeling it would take a completely inexcusable amount of stupidity to harm a business that has been growing so well

…I still am holding on to that positivity, and sincerely feel this will be solved by October/November at the latest

…notwithstanding that, I also believe We Fans of Hockey should not passively sit and watch …but actively make as much noise and pressure of displeasure to keep both parties fully cognizant there will be a higher price to pay from those that purchase the tickets and merchandise

…like Quebec students last school year, bang Your ‘pots and pans’ as fans and chant ‘We are not going to take it any more !’ at every opportunity

In view of the current pending lock out crisis I invoke a new avatar.

11. HNS says:

The NHL is garbage. Canada needs to form another pro league and tell the NHL to keep it.

12. savethepuck says:

I decided in the future to never refer to Bettman as Buttman anymore. From this day forward I will always refer to him as Gray Lockout Bettman. He’s earned that title, so I’ll give him hisd just rewards.

13. L Elle says:

Without repeating all the great points the commentariat has made on the subject of the CBA, all I have to say is the only language “they” speak is $$$. I have no desire to buy merchandise anymore, and if each fan did the same, it certainly would get “them” to listen to the fans’ desire for the word lockout to be eradicated. Greatest fans in the world. riiiight.

I can only afford to go to 1 or 2 games a year anyway. And, of course, as soon as the season starts, I’ll be watching. But they’re not getting any extra $$$ from me for their junk.

They certainly can continue their negotiations while not losing/delaying the season. This is what hockey-loving people would do.

14. accp says:

if you had 5-mil stashed away. would you say your a loser. if you gave every Canadian right now 1-mil how many do you think would complain. I know one that wouldn’t … all about GREED. any fan that feels bad for these sorry asses should pay a visit to their family Doctor. let them know what you stand for when they return. let the owners dish out their money instead of yours and you’ll never see this happen again …

15. Mavid says:

i think I am going to cry…I have been counting down since June..and now nothing…so shitty

16. savethepuck says:

With an obviously certain lockout happenning in the next 6 hours I am obviously discouraged , buts September 15th was not the critical date I had circled on my calendar for an agreement, it was Sept 21st. September 15th is the day the NHL plays their lockout card, September 21st is when NHL training camps open for most teams. All a lockout doesfor the next week is prohibits our Habs from continuing to practice at Brossard ( which sucks ). But being a glass half full guy, I stillhold a glimmer of hope that now is the time that the 2 sides willstart serious negotiations. I am a Realtor over the last 17 yrs and I see the original owners proposal comparable to a buyer lowballing an offer on a house, it was insulting to the players and they did what was expected, a high counter. The owners have not come close yet to something that the players are willing to start seriosly negotiating with or showing their hand as to what their bottom line really is. I don’t believe for a second that if the owners finally come up with something close that most likely will have to include part of the NHLPAs “shared responsibility”, the players will be willing to accept a small rollback( even though they’ve said they wouldn’t) and negotiations can be settled. Starting negotiations with ridiculous offers and threats only result in animosity and pride takes over

17. Dunboyne Mike says:

The point has been well made several times that the NHL isn’t hockey, isn’t coextensive with the game of hockey. There is lots of hockey to watch, play and attend, from Pee-Wee upwards, all of which will welcome the sudden increase in following.

I’d like to ask about hockey movies (although there’s a chance that the effect of watching them for comfort during a lockout could actually be to exacerbate the pain of missing a Habs season).

Is there a better hockey movie than The Rocket?

18. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Geo!

“From 8 am until 11:45 I wrote a frantic and feverish pace unsure of whether or not what I was writing was even semi-coherent. I gave myself fifteen minutes for proof-reading and sent it off to my professor.”

A career in journalism clearly beckons!

(Can you live-blog?)

19. savethepuck says:

20. New says:

Anybody offhand know of a brewery that doesn’t sponsor the NHL or own a team?

21. twilighthours says:

5 years, $20 mil for cam fowler. I would be thrilled to have pK for that.

Still hoping it gets done today.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

No more reply buttons!
      Point is well made about Begin.
      Would love to attend summit, meet you and others and discuss more. Unfortunately, I reside on wrong side of the Atlantic.
      Cheers

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the World is going to the dogs ?
    …wouldn’t that be, actually, for the better ?

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

@DunboyneMike
    …I don’t wish to be an apologist for Milan Lucic, but that particular bad behavior You are referring to is more related to His unfortunate luck to be drafted by the troglodyte Bruins
    …Our Habs would have ‘groomed’ His on-ice behavior much differently :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good point. We can only wonder (though if he were a rookie under Therrien, I’m not so sure). In support of your point, though, I remember the Vancouver fans remembering him from his Giants days and giving him a good ovation when he and the Bruins had just finished cutting out their hearts.

Could we have groomed/deconstructed/brain-transplanted Marchand, d you think?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Marchand, personality wise, seems a bit more difficult to stomach …but he is a very good little hockey player …and, yes, I think he would, like Lucic, have very different personas if Habs
        …Lucic, I knew well out here in BC …and was very disappointed We did not grab him in the draft …he was exactly what We needed
        …as far as Lucic comparables in Our past, I’ve made the leap to John Ferguson
        …Lucic would have been this generations John Ferguson if a Hab :)

__________________________________________________________________

…for the foreseeable future I will be annoyingly and shamelessly crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats
        …now some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor …and/or do not want yet another low-number unavailable to contemporary Players
        …maybe forgetting Toe Blake won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career …He was an essential component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day
        …most remember Toe Blake as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us were inspired by to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own
        …Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon
        …Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach
        …His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre
        …the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage
        …I wish to request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong
        …I suggested to Ian to theme this year’s Summit on Toe Blake …to incorporate some homage to Toe …maybe even make a request to Hurley’s Tavern to try to replicate the ambiance of the famed former Toe Blake’s Tavern
        …I will leave that to Ian, of what is doable in that regard …knowing Ian, He is more than capable (Note Bene: obviously unlikely in October because of the projected lock-out :( )
        …meanwhile, some clear input must be made by Habs’ Fans that agree with the objective, to let Their feelings and opinions be known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens Management
        …that means You !!! Boys and Girls
        …if this is something You would like to make right as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Retire Toe’s Number 6 !!!’
        …if anyOne out there have other suggestions please let Ian and I know …they will be considered and appreciated

The following are the most relevant to send your testimonial to Retire Number 6 !!!:
        Geoff Molson: President and Owner (Twitter; @gmolsonchc)
        Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Send your testimonial to:

[Name of person]
        c/o The Montreal Canadiens
        1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
        Montreal, QC, CANADA
        H3C 5L2

_________________________________________________________
        Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw
        _________________________________________________________
        HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
        _________________________________________________________
        What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
        _________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Fergie must be close. I was only just barely old enough to see him — the hooked finger of invitation… But you obviously have a soft-spot for Lucic and more insight into the wider reaches of his player persona if you watched him in Vancouver. Quite persuasive!

But I’m betting no one steps up to do the same for Marchand. Skills no doubt — remember that goal where he banked it off the right boards past the defenseman at the blue-line, collected it and swept in on Price and around him to score?

But the personality — might need a bit of Clockwork Orange-style therapy!

Support both the Toe Blake and Pussy Riot causes.

Cheers

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Fergy moved into My NDG apartment building when I was a kid, after Pollack called Him up from the AHL …gave Me My very first ticket to a habs game
            …thanks for Your support of Toe
            …cheers :)

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if most AHL teams are loading up with talent like Oklahoma City as a result of the lockout, TSN/RDS would be missing an opportunity if they don’t televise the AHL
    …too bad Galchenyuk is not eligible to play in Hamilton :(
    …if I was Yakupov or Gally, I would play in the KHL if I could be signed there

25. geo_habsgo says:

I guess the positive of an NHL lockout is that I should now do much better in my university studies. I spent many nights enjoying the Habs games in the comfort of my home or at one of the many pubs around Montreal instead of working on my assignments. It got to the point where I started to make my homework schedule revolve around when the Habs were playing and when they were not.

I don’t know what I’m going to be doing with all that extra time to work on my assignments now.

• habstrinifan says:

Make Momma and Pappa proud and get your average above 3.5.

• geo_habsgo says:

Oh it is a solid 3.7 right now which I take pride in. I guess that is part of the reason why I’ve believed I can get away with my procrastination these last few years.

I’m also not becoming a doctor so that 3.7 isn’t too impressive lol…

• habstrinifan says:

FRECK! 3.7 … If I ever made 3.7 Momma and Poppa would have bought me my own hockey franchise or at the very least a toy hockey team like the Laffs!

• geo_habsgo says:

You are always welcome to write a letter to my Momma and Poppa telling them what a fine son they raised! They need to be reminded of that sometimes :p

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Apologies for going one-upmanship on you, Geo! But for HIO tribe-members in Europe, games face-off after midnight — 1 or 2 am depending where you are.

One simply learns to function on 3-4 hours sleep; loved ones and colleagues adapt to living and working with a zombie from October to April (and hopefully longer!).

Good luck with those studies! I’m going back part-time this year myself.

Cheers

• geo_habsgo says:

Haha You’re a true fan Mike. I have nothing but respect for your dedication.

I remember just a few years ago when the Habs beat the Capitals in the first round after Halak’s monster performance I stayed out practically the whole night celebrating and bar hopping all through Downtown Montreal. It was only when I woke up at 7:30 am the next day that I realized I had a 3000 word essay to turn in before noon.

All that to say that I am glad our priorities are straight!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice!
          How did you wake up?
          Did you submit by 12?

• geo_habsgo says:

It’s both a blessing and a curse that I am a naturally early riser so I woke up in quite a stupor that morning. Panicked and overwhelmed I did the only thing I knew to do. Read the Sports section of the Gazette and watch TSN’s Sportscentre highlighting the action of the night before.

From 8 am until 11:45 I wrote a frantic and feverish pace unsure of whether or not what I was writing was even semi-coherent. I gave myself fifteen minutes for proof-reading and sent it off to my professor. I spent the next week scared for my life, sure that I bombed a heavily weighted final paper.

To this day I never received a higher grade on an essay :p

26. Confirmed: PK Subban WILL NOT be signing contract extension with Habs before the lockout…
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m the one that convinced Boone to give Robert Rice space in HIO for Habs Future, so I mostly like Robert
    …but if Robert is calling Lucic ‘an ape’, that is low, ignorant and foolish …Robert, if You are reading this, You should be embarrassed of Yourself …calling Lucic an ape was a really juvenile thing to say
    …I will tell You this much, many of You have big boners at this time about Brandon Prust
    …ask Yourselves whom You would rather have as a Hab, Prust or Lucic ???
    …if You chose Prust ? …then thank Goodness You ain’t Our GM …because You have zero capability to recognize hockey abilities

• twilighthours says:

Robert provided us a nice service. He is missed, although commandant Ben fills the gap.

It’s always so strange to me, though, when people write things on the Internet that they would never say in person. Can you imagine robert bumping into Lucic in a bar and calling him an ape?

Plus, as you point out, we’d all be huge fans were he a habs draft pick.

• 24 Cups says:

I’ve been out all day but I can’t find any posts by Robert Rice on HI/O. Am I missing something here?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Twilight. I’d agree that RR had a lapse of judgement or a head-rush or something to print the comment about Lucic. I also agree that Lucic is big and skilled and strong competitor.

But a request — careful with the use of “we’d all”. Despite his considerable (though I suspect over-rated) upside, I would not like someone with Lucic’s mindset on the Canadiens — I’m thinking for example of his hit on Ryan Miller last year (and what I recall of an interview he gave about it afterward). And I doubt I’m alone.

Others (not saying yourself) have made similar “we’d all” comments about players like Brad Marchand and Chris Pronger. (And come on Twilight, there’s a little bit of finger-wagging in those comments!). So maybe “Lots of us” would be safer than “we’d all”.

• twilighthours says:

Two things.

1) of course there was finger wagging. I already said I was an arseh0le, what more do you want?

2) “we’d all” is definitely an exaggeration. 98% of us, though, Is probably not. Think about it – how many players have we had on these team since you’ve been alive that you truly detested and wished never played a game for the habs? I can only think of two: Dave Manson and mike ribiero. And both were very valuable players.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

1) lol!

2) I could be totally wrong, but I think 98% is likely well off as well. There are fans who love winning as much as you do but don’t want someone like Lucic.

I tend not to “detest”, but in trying to answer your question I can’t think of players like Lucic who played for Montreal. We’ve had strong heavy forwards like Pete Mahovalich, but he had no goonish impulses, and guys like Nilan and Chelios who were no angels (and the likes of Chartraw and Lupien don’t count because they weren’t leaders like Lucic). Hmm, maybe Chelios… Strong players I’ve been happy to see go are those who don’t seem to buy in — like the Kostitsyns.

I don’t know, Twilight. I’d watch a healthy Pronger stalking victims in the neutral zone or destroying forwards trying to get position in front, and I’d be aware of how badly Montreal has needed defense like that for so long, the positive chain reaction around the ice that a presence like that would initiate, and how good it would be for Price. But my stomach churns at some of his celebrated big plays. He’s huge and mean and can be intimidating and effective within the rules — I resent that he seems to get away with going outside them too. I wouldn’t like him doing that in a Habs uniform.

Same for Lucic.

ANd hey, pour Serious Fan. We have called players (and coaches and GMs) WAY WAY worse in this forum (mostly our own). Has ‘ape’ suddenly become extra bad?

• twilighthours says:

I’ve said all I’m gonna say today on Robert rice. We can continue the conversation at the summit, if you’re going and if there ever is one.

As for cheapness… Let me finish with this:

I’ve been on here since 2007. I can’t recall anyone vilifying Steve begin for his reckless, dangerous play, with his cheap hits and breaking people’s spines. No one wanted to ship him out of town. Lucic hasn’t really done worse than anything begin ever did. Lucic just backs up his play with his mouth and fists.

So I’m standing by my (nearly) all statement.

• Ron says:

Robert for sure provided us with a great service. So much that HIO gave him a spot here even if Habitant In Surrey suggests he got him the spot. As far as Ben fills the gap statement I personally dont think he compares to Robert. Ben does great work but he to makes statements that are not any better than Robert. His rant on Tim Thomas is a prime example. Some name calling on his blog and here that he would not say to Tims face. I think we all cross over the line a bit sometimes and for you to single out Robert on a statement someone else put on here and not Robert is not fair.

28. Say Ash says:

What time is the “Bring Back Kovalev” rally?

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

Poll: …I chose Fehr
    …but talk about the irresistible force and an immovable object
    …both are damn good, unfortunately for Us, at what they do :(

30. twilighthours says:

Noticed the comments on Robert rice, below. I don’t think I’m smart enough to understand the word “ironical” and all its intricacies, but it I find it interesting that old Robert left HIO because hickey called Fleury a coward or something, but he has no issues tweeting that Lucic is an ape.

I guess we are all men of mean spirit.

• Chrisadiens says:

Making fun of a hated goon and calling out a sexually abused person are totally comparable. Right.

In any event, feel free to tweet him @SeriousFan09 so he can defend himself.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• neumann103 says:

I would rather let Robert speak for himself but since he doesn’t post here anymore I should say that he did not leave “HIO because hickey called Fleury a coward or something” he left because Hickey called out a sexual abuse survivor in a blame the victim way that was at best boneheaded and insensitive, and then when this was rather gently explained by a vast outpouring of reader sentiment Hickey responded not with contrition but by doubling down.

To make matters worse Hickey did this by postulating a thesis that Fleury was a coward and Sheldon Kennedy was a hero which was supported by evidence that was factually wrong. He asserted that Fleury was an enabler of further abuse by Graham James because he was later one of 18 investors in a team that employed James as a coach. The kicker was that so was Sheldon Kennedy.

Bottom line is that it might not be considered good form to call a sexual abuse survivor a coward and and enabler of others’ abuse, and if you want to take that tack you might want to get your facts straight.

It may have been news to Mr Hickey that counter-intuitive behaviour like remaining in social contact with your abuser is quite common. But that goes about as far as the period about an hour after Mr Hickey published his column. There was kind of an internet teach-in directed at explaining to Mr Hickey the ways survivors deal with abuse. But the next 36 hours or so featured a followup column that dug his heels in, and a bunch of media appearances that were exacerbating.

I mean I was shocked. I honestly thought the initial column was a combination of not understanding the pathology of abuse and making an argument based on honest factual errors, and that a bit of sensitivity and fact checking would lead to a different direction. Again “doubling down” is the most accurate way to describe Mr Hickey’s reaction.

Now I think Mr Hickey is a decent writer, and I have always thought Theo Fleury was an asshat. And not in the I know he is a dick but I would take him on my team in a heartbeat sense that people have recently been discussing Milan Lucic, but in a i>I know he is good but I don’t want him on my team in any circumstances sense that I would regard Sean Avery a few years ago or that tool Dan Carcillo. So I have roughly zero interest in taking Fleury’s side. But this sequence of events was appalling.

Robert Rice had plenty of company in his opinion. And what he wanted from Mr. Hickey was something many people expected too: an apology. A bit of mea culpa. A little “I misjudged the the psychology and misstated the facts.” You know, a professional response. A human response.

And among the many many great qualities of HIO one of the ones that is not so great is the bizarre need for people to jump on certain former posters for perceived failings. It has an unpleasant middle school playground vibe that really rubs me the wrong way, especially when you see the pile on from commenters who weren’t even here when these pariah posters were active. I am not talking about crazies like Bugs the Space Alien guy or the kid who “supported Scott Gomez!” but actual contributors who might have had foibles but added value. Obviously Andrew Berkshire is the recent poster boy of this phenomenon. While I find his faith in “statistics” borders on the deterministic and I understand he can be a little gruff, he has valuable things to say. And we have plenty of posters on the esteemed HIO All-Star list who are right 100% and quite happy to explain this to doubters in the rudest terms.

Just sayin’

“Et le but!”

31. otter649 says:

Wade Reddon has spent the last two years in The AHL collecting his NHL salary but this year he is being locked out by The Rangers so no payday for him until things are settled……

32. JF says:

So no meeting today. The lockout starts in nine hours. The two sides have met a grand total of once since 31 August. This shows how little will there was on either side to reach an agreement before the CBA expired. There was plenty of time, but the two sides preferred to spend it staring each other down rather than negotiating seriously. I think both have shown contempt for the game and the fans. The players whine about “just wanting to play hockey,” so as many of them as have the chance will go off and play and collect their paycheques from the KHL or wherever. The owners will absorb comfortably the loss of revenues, knowing that when they decide to open the rinks, the fans will come flocking back like sheep and hand over their money for over-priced tickets, beer, hotdogs, and logo-emblazoned plastic crap (in Mike Boone’s memorable phrase).

At the beginning, I was squarely on the side of the players. Now I’m equally angry with both sides, mainly because, whatever the merits of their respective arguments, both are accepting far too easily the fact that there will be no NHL hockey for the foreseeable future. They don’t seem to have even the glimmer of an idea that they owe the fans anything at all. And yet, if it weren’t for us, there would be no NHL. These guys would either be playing in the KHL or a lower league or not playing at all, and earning the kind of salaries most of us have – salaries we can’t afford to forfeit.

I confess I had hoped there’d be meetings round the clock this week, that there’d be a serious and concerted effort to salvage the opening of the season. I feel angry, bitter, and frustrated.

• geo_habsgo says:

In the old days the players played because they loved the sport and didn’t want to stop playing. They had two, maybe three extra jobs to help support themselves and their family’s. The sport grew to what it is now because of players back then like Richard who played with all out passion and fire in the belly’s. Not like today when it seems like a rare few have a passion for anything beyond a paycheque.

• Phil C says:

I agree, they show contempt for their fans and completely take us for granted.

I still hope they will get it done in the next few days. I think that both sides need to prove that they are not afraid of a lockout. Once they have proven how tough they are, they will finally start negotiating in earnest.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – There is enough wiggle room between the two sides that a compromise deal could be worked out by midnight. It’s there for everyone to see.

As I have said from the beginning, there are three sides involved here in the negotiations: Bettman, Fehr and a handful of heavyweight owners. I’m putting the blame on those owners and their GM henchmen.

• JF says:

Steve – Yes, there’s still time for a compromise; but I suspect, as I’ve suspected all along, that this is not just about how to split revenues. The League wants more power; they want a clear-cut victory, not a compromise with concessions on both sides. They want the players to capitulate; and the best way to ensure that is to lock them out until they do. As for the players, they feel they can’t afford to cave in because they did that last time. They want at least a moral victory, they want to feel that they are right and that they’re pushing for a settlement that will be good for the entire League. They seem to have lost sight of the fact that they can’t win a long standoff. The owners have deeper pockets.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re quite right, there is a philosophical disagreement here, not just a monetary one. In all their other businesses the owners have beaten down or downright eliminated organized labour, and that’s what they’re trying to achieve here as well.

The players could easily give in and still earn massive salaries, but this isn’t strictly about self-interest, there’s also self-respect to consider. The players were taken last time, they don’t want to get taken again. They understand that Bod Goodenow was right when he said that the owners would always ask for the cap percentage to be lowered once it was instituted, they just didn’t feel like listening to him anymore after a year of being locked out.

33. naweed235 says:

I don’t understand why everybody chooses to ignore the fact that TEAM CHEMISTRY was Bergevin’s top priority as he said it many times when he was hired. I don’t want to spill more oil on the fire, but maybe that is why Bergevin is not in a hurry to sign him? I am sure that Bergevin is not an idiot and knows that PK is probably our best player talent wise, but after being in the league for so many years he probably also knows that talent is not everything. I’ve brought this issue up many times here before and was called a Subban hater for some reason… Just because you choose to ignore all the clues pointing to PK not being the best liked player in the locker room doesn’t mean that everybody should share your opinion…
    All that said, I believe that Subban will sign a 3 or 4 year deal, just not anytime soon and that will only be because he caved in and not Bergevin.

• habstrinifan says:

You forgot the part which says “don’t get me wrong I really like Subban”.

Pause for a minute and examine the evidence of his two years in the league and tell me if Subban is indeed as destructive a dressing room force as you are implying.

34. HabFab says:

The NHLPA & NHL had the perfect opportunity at season’s end to resolve this without roll backs to players salaries BUT greed won out.

35. geo_habsgo says:

It really annoys me that Subban has not been signed yet. He is the type of player that you ignore all this RFA stuff with and just sign for money and term. He is ALREADY worth it. Even if he stopped developing today, which he won’t, he is already a top 2 defencemen. All that is left to question about PK is how much better he is still going to get.

If Bergevin doesn’t make a deal then his failure to sign PK will be his legacy.

Problem is, I fear that he is already not part of the teams plans long term. Everything I’ve heard from the team in the last week seems to be pointing to them thinking that Markov is still their main man on D. He hasn’t been for three seasons now and Subban has carried the load very well. If Subban was part of the teams long term plans, why is there no talk of his potential impact on the team? Everything just seems fishy to me.

• SmartDog says:

The team would be stupid to “give up on” Subban or any other words to that effect. And the team is not stupid. It wasn’t even that stupid under Gauthier.

We have Markov and Kaberle – two experienced guys who play a similar role and have done it at a high level. The top position is Markov’s to lose. And if Kaberle comes back (sans Cup hangover) he’s high on the depth chart as well. Subban at worst will slip into a third pairing role where he’ll get a chance to develop and push out one or both of the other two in time. Do you think Malkin is really a 2nd line center?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• geo_habsgo says:

I don’t disagree with you in the slightest. However, I am jaded by the way that the team has managed assets in the past. The way that we have simply let UFA’s walk out the door because the team knew they didn’t want to keep them around instead of trading them for anything they could get.

As much as I think Bergevin was a positive signing as a GM, he hasn’t done anything yet to prove that he isn’t as boneheaded as Gauthier was so until Subban is signed I am not sure that I have too much faith in him.

It is a stretch to say that the team is not stupid until we see something to prove the contrary. I’m just in a slightly depressed and angered mood because of the impending lockout. Maybe I am just being too jaded.

• SmartDog says:

I agree it’s early but the signs are good – there’s real reason for optimism.

The decisions Bergevin has made so far have been smart ones. Basically he’s done FIVE very good things:
          1. Signed Price and Max to reasonable long term deals.
          2. Brought in more depth toughness at modest cost.
          3. Expanded and improved the management, development, and scouting teams.
          4. Had a good draft.
          5. ….did NOT do anything stupid like bring in an expensive veteran or trade away someone valuable.

These are all positive. I don’t know about the hiring of Therrien but coaches are very replaceable. Buck up, we’re clearly in much better hands.
          ————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• geo_habsgo says:

Haha I like number 5 “He hasn’t done anything stupid yet”. It is a sad thing that over the years as Habs fans we have become desensitized and not doing anything stupid has become a positive for our management team.

By all accounts though, I agree with you. This team looks for the most part like it is moving in the right direction these days!

• twilighthours says:

There is no chance, ever, that subban plays 3rd pairing minutes on this Montreal canadiens team.

36. PeterD says:

I guess with the termination of the current CBA and lock-out starting tonight Subban and all other players that haven’t signed new deals are out of luck and will have to wait until there is a new CBA in place to negotiate a new contract.
    This is an interesting game of chicken staring contest Bergevin and Subban are doing…and I guess neither is willing to blink first. Same in Winnipeg with Evander Kane.

• geo_habsgo says:

It is strange that the only truly active gm has been Chiarelli in Boston over the past week. If you just looked at his activity you would be fooled into thinking that the league wasn’t about to go into a lockout.

37. 123456 says:

so we all know what a tripod is right? if your camera has a stand with four legs is it a quadpod? and if so, can we call chairs quadpods?

without hockey my mind is deteriorating quickly

38. SmartDog says:

The Habs put Blunden on waivers yesterday. Would someone sane (if there are any of you here today) and knowledgeable (now I’m asking for a miracle) explain to me what this means for Blunden? Will he have to go through re-entry when the Habs start playing again? Why only Blunden and why not Leblanc or others?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

39. Dr.Rex says:

What do fans see as the biggest single problem today with the NHL?

a) The lack of a revenue sharing system between teams.
    b) Too many flesh-eating-hockey markets in the league.
    c) Undisciplined spending by general managers.
    d) Player agents and their relentless bending of the CBA.
    e) Average player salaries
    f) Having two overally egotistical and narcissistic men in charge of the two sides.
    g) Just blame it on Burke and the Laffs.

40. frontenac1 says:

Too many deadbeat teams in bumfu*k markets. There are ten teams that are losing money year after year. Snuff “em. The expansion experiment is a failure.

• CanadienBoy says:

Let them stike and bring the replacement players not only the American team will go under but the Canadian teams will be the only one with fan in the stand

• SmartDog says:

> The expansion experiment is a failure.
      You can’t really say that since it seems to have helped the league get more contracts with the major US networks, raising revenues throughout. But certainly hockey in some markets seems to be a failure…. though as long as there’s a billionaire ready to pay the bills, the team may catch on given enough time.

To me the problem is that contraction is out of the question. It might be smart financially for the league to trim the fat and strengthen the league but it will never happen. I think that “Let’s cut back to 28 teams and move two others to better markets” could be a brilliant way of strengthening the league… but there’s no way.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

41. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout Day Eve
    It can’t be happening! They’re going ahead with it. A lockout when there’s hundreds of millions of dollars to be made in profits this season!
    Kept hoping for a coup among owners to supplant the power-brokers but no signs of that about to take place.
    Okay, will have to make the best of a bad situation. Drastic times require drastic measures.
    First step: Pray to God.
    And if He doesn’t come through – He has until 8 a.m. tomorrow – then it’s on to Plan B, make a pact with Beelzebub.
    And if that doesn’t work – Beez might not need any more clients when he’s already got Betz in his pocket – well, I’ll have to think about that.
    Maybe I’ll have something by tomorrow.

42. accp says:

Putting all things aside. I feel sorry for the workers. they are the people who are going to hurt the most and it is all over Greed between Millionaires and Billionaires …

43. RetroMikey says:

The AHL. ECHL, OHL, WHL. QMJHL. etc….the list goes on and on if you are all moping there is no hockey this year. There are also many games for sports fans to watch in their city or rural area such as minor league or senior league teams as well which is helluva more worth the buck than feeding our money to the mouths of these overpaid players and greedy owners in the NHL.
    So face the reality folks, NHL hockey is not the same as the days of yore……..greed, greed, greed. Shame on the owners and the overpaid players. Hope the players have post-high school education to save money on a rainy day and get a real job like anyone else here on this site.
    You won’t see me buying an NHL ticket ever again.
    Support your local amateur or semi-pro teams!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

44. commandant says:

Max’s look at CBA negotiations and the battle that has begun

My look at recent NHL contracts signed by teams in the last weeks before the lockout

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

45. Dr.Rex says:

Message for Geoff Molson;

It’s gut check time and your chance to prove to the habs faithful that you are who we hope and need you to be. The fans have been more then loyal these last two decades and it is the fans that expect to be given more at this point and not screwed over once again. IF a season is indeed shortened or even cancelled to save a few dollars then the fans will also expect to save money in the future in respect to ticket prices, merchandise and especially the ridiculously overpriced Molson’s.

ITs time to prove to the fans that you really meant what you said on March 29th.

46. Josh says:

The owners won’t care unless you people stop giving the league your money for tickets, merchandise, and services.

47. Mark C says:

My take away from the Looch contract is how good Pacioretty’s deal was for Montreal.

48. SmartDog says:

For those who think some sort of boycott of NHL games (when they come back) is going to work, please just give up on the idea. It certainly can’t work in Montreal where there’s a massive audience for games.

Protests by themselves won’t work either, but they stand a better chance of getting something going by organizing people and at least showing (in a media-friendly way) that people are pissed off. But even it’s unlikely that too much will come of it. Possible if enough steam could be built up over time to become a voice in this – but unlikely.

Unless some REAL and big organization of fans gets going, the only thing we can do is just ride it out. Don’t stress, try and unplug. Unfortunately, t’s not your fight and there’s nothing you can do about it. Remember “… the wisdom to know the difference.”

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

49. HankHardball says:

This is the 4th lockout in a row. All within the last 20 years. It’s obvious the league is using lockouts as a negotiating strategy.

The whole point of the owners’ lockout strategy is to not pay the players. The havoc that creates with the players’ personal finances is what eventually makes them desperate enough to cave in to whatever Bettman wants.

No doubt the hardcore fans will be back. No matter how long it takes. But the way this hurts hockey is the animosity it creates in the American sports media.

The key to the growth and success of all the North American sports is the exposure they get on US TV. And this is just killing it.

The NHL could slip to 5th in popularity behind MLS.

50. Cal says:

I encourage everyone to vote with their wallets. Screw the NHL and all their owners. Screw all the overpaid players.
    When they return, let them play to empty arenas.
    Boycott them for a season and drag the HRR down to $500 mil and then we’ll see if they think fans are important.
    Both sides should be taken out back and horse whipped, the ignorant SOBs.

51. sreuel says:

Protesting outside the Bell Centre means nothing. If all fans from all NHL teams would do this and not to buy tickets would possibly make a dent. This would open eyes around the world.

52. Habs cancel pre-season ticket sales…for now.

Canadiens fans have been getting screwed for years by being forced to buy 5 pre-season games with their season tickets package for the same price as regular season games (even those without season tickets have to pay regular season prices for the pre-season tickets).

many other teams aren’t forced to do that. They do it to Montreal because they can, even though they know it isn’t right.

Why not force all other teams to sell 5 full priced pre-season ticket games to gouge their fans?

Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

53. SmartDog says:

A good read if you haven’t seen it.

Bettman and the owners are just simply being too greedy. End of story. The players need to hang together and tough it out. Sadly, that’s the way it has to be.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

54. on2ndthought says:

Wow, this turned out to be quite the polemic!

I wonder how Geoff Molson feels this morning. Who is the puppet-master here? The owners who vet these contract offers or their slime-ball lawyer?

I think (no personal experience, here) that rich people pretty much follow the advice of their lawyers (especially the slime-ball ones), but at some point don’t you stop and decide for yourselves what you are doing with your investment?

If Mr. Molson and his crew are not careful, they will do lasting damage to the viability of their league, at least in my case. This is a forum for the truest red white and blue bloods. I have proudly counted myself in that number for more than four decades. There has always been a nagging neuron that has wondered about my passion for a game and a team so far removed from my youth; but the SPORT has always dragged me in and held me.

It is getting harder and harder to maintain an objective view of this spectacle as sport and someday it may become impossible. At that point Molson will lose my attention and patronage. My entertainment money, my brand loyalty have other hooks they can hang their hats on. I will always have a nostalgia and passion for the game I grew up with, but it will have matured past the point of putting up with the posturing deceit I am subjected to now.

In some ways they may be pushing my development to my benefit, but the owners (and players, but this is a lockout, not a strike) should realize that this development is NOT to their benefit.

Three hills apart great armies stir
    Spit oath and curse as day breaks
    Forming lines of horse and steel
    By even yards march forward.

55. Chrisadiens says:

My 2 cents…

Let’s not resort to name calling and judgements on a former HIO member. Especially since that poster is no longer here to defend himself. I have a ton of respect for this person for his core values as a human being. How about we show some class?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

56. Phil C says:

The players will lose in a lockout scenario. So will the fans. The only winners are the owners who will eventually recover any losses. They can also afford to hold out the longest.

I believe the players’ biggest leverage is the fact that they are also the product. I think they should organize a 12 team league starting in January with the top NHL players. The quality of the hockey would be amazing. There are enough unused facilities around the continent like Copps Colusium or NBA arenas looking for another tenant that the NHL owners couldn’t stop it. They could even take the Stanley Cup with them as the NHL are only custodians of the Cup if they are the best league in the world, which no longer would be true.

Tying salaries to HRR would give the new league much more stability than the WHA had, giving it a higher chance of success. The lockout would give the new league a rare opportunity to steal ALL the top players from the NHL.

I know this would be a long shot, but I really, really hate how the NHL owners completely take the fans for granted, assuming they will always be there no matter how poorly they treat them. I would love for the players to do something to make the owners squirm. And the fans could show their displeasure with the NHL by supporting the new league by buying tickets.

So a 12 team player Super League with a focus on hockey quality and fan experience, starting in January, 40-50 games, then playoffs for the Cup. It would be almost Olympic quality hockey. If it is a success, they could then charge a few select owners a ridiculous expansion fee to join their league the following year. All the other owners could watch their franchise value shrink to zero or become a farm team league and become a permanent reminder of what can happen if you take your customers for granted.

• JF says:

Great idea. I don’t know how practical it is or whether the players would be willing to put in the necessary work to get it off the ground, but I would absolutely love to see them take matters into their own hands. Instead of flying off individually to destinations all across Europe to play hockey, band together and start their own league. It would be telling the owners that they can’t just shut down hockey, they can’t treat the players and the public with the absolute contempt they’ve shown; the players will play anyway and the public will watch. It won’t happen; but, if it did, I would certainly support it.

• boing007 says:

I like it. Time to revolt. Corporate-based hockey is ruining the sport.

Would the players play for less money in this super league?

Would ticket prices go down?

This should be a cooperative venture by the fans, the players and the communities, otherwise it won’t work.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

57. accp says:

Another joke gonna happen at the Bell Centre – when they start Hockey again. everyone stay away for 05 games that’s what I call a protest … empty seats for 05 games may get their attention.

• New says:

It sure will and they’ll jack up the other tickets 10% to cover it.

If your company holds a box it won’t give up the rights. Season ticket holders won’t give up the rights.

The only real protest that will work is if fans lose interest. Can’t sell ads to cover 40 hrs a week of a sport no one sees.

Fans won’t lose interest because a massive industry will generate enough hype to keep them coming back.

It is fine to be angry but we have to recognize reality. Our part as fans is just to pay the bill.

58. Habsfan in New Glasgow says:

Well, I have been following this website over the years and have gone through the ups and downs as a diehard Habs fan–but now I am really pissed! This is my first posting so if I do not sound lucid it is because I am writing with emotion. Another lockout! And not one consideration by anyone for the fans! No mediation! No arbitration! And the owners are still giving big contracts away!

Wouldn’t it be nice if just once both sides would come forth together and say for the fans we have decided not to interrupt the season and we will find a way to resolve this. I know, I know …living in DisneyWorld. It is too bad just once we could stick it to the league and not buy any NHL gear or support the game, and cancel our Center Ice subscriptions! Just give them time to think about the consequences!

Gary states hockey fans are the best! Well, stop patronizing me! You are an idiot who wants to perform for his owners! God that smug-like look gets on my nerves! If we are the great fans you say we are then show some respect!

Well, now that I vetted I feel better! Unfortunately, the situation is only going to get worse and we will be left out in nowhere land trying to get our hockey fix somewhere else.
    Freck

• ont fan says:

We can rant all we want about a league like this one. Bettman can afford to be smug and patronizing with a fan base like the one he has. The fans have no one to blame but themselves. We are the enablers in this mess. If you want change, we have to change. Don’t buy the tickets or the merchandise!

• w.express says:

Unfortunately, you’re right. This is not about the fans. It’s about the money. We should not expect them to care about fans’ feelings and such. This is like any other business, and we are merely customers. They only care about fans to the extent that they are butts in overpriced seats, spilling overpriced drinks onto their overpriced jerseys. I hear there is now a two week shipment wait for replenishment of the iphone 5, which has already sold out from most stores. We fans are not alone. There are also those poor souls waiting for the new Iphone. They’ll come back though, because Apple customers are the best customers in the world.

59. New says:

The only protest that will ever matter is when no one comes to a game, there are no ads on the boards, no network carries the game, and the press doesn’t bother with the results just the standings.

Or someone starts another league.

PS: 20 years since a Cup. Everybody who laughed at the Leafs in the 80′s can still laugh but other than that…

60. habbernack says:

Based on an 8 hr day and a 40 hr week, a player making 500,000 a year would be making 250.00 an hour or 2000.00 a day. that,s what a 4th liner would make. that,s for 5 minutes a game.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

While I have no use for Lucic, he is a very effective player and going from 4.25 to 6 million per season seems like a good contract for the Bruins.

They have a very good core group locked up for the future. The only areas they will need to address in a year or more is Nathan Horton, Rask and perhaps some Defence depth.

Boy does it hurt to say, but Chiarelli has done a very nice job in Boston since arriving.

I like that these protesters admit they might not change anything other than raise awareness… but consider that they can still be organized and vocal enough to make an impact.

Given the mood of the fan base and that there has been much Internet ink spilled in the comment sections of many news sites covering this story and on blog and fans sites it is my perception that the league will pay dearly if they lock out the players for a 3rd time in 20 years.

People are not as compliant, meek and obedient as the powers that be would like us to all believe. Yes the masses bleat about in their day to day lives and allow themselves to be herded and rounded up, but push a little too much a little too often and the flock of sheep could very well turn into a pack of wolves.

Bettman is easily the most reviled man in all of Canada. I mean seriously. Is there any other person whose visage on the Internet provokes such an intense desire to punch the computer monitor?

I think these rallies should set up a bunch of amusement park games. They can start with the Bettman dartboard. That hammer thing to send the weight up the pole… put Bettman’s head up at the top. The punching bag. Again, Bettman’s head. If anybody has any other ideas let’er rip!!! These games would make lots of money and the image of them all over the news would wake these idiots up.

I look forward to the end of the Bettman era. The sooner the better.

63. naweed235 says:

Our old friend said it best:

Robert Rice ‏@SeriousFan09

“Say what you want about the Lucic signing, he is an amazing story of how a lower primate can become a wealthy pro athlete. “

• ed lopaz says:

there are 30 teams in the NHL that would sign Lucic in a freakin heartbeat.

He is exactly the type of player every team is looking for.

Robert Rice is usually a class act.

But calling a man, an NHL player, an NHLPA member during a lockout, a “lower primate” is absolutely classless and unprofessional.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I hate his guts when we’re playing Boston but he’s one of the best power forwards in the league. I used to hate Cam Neely too but he’s in the same boat as Lucic, any team would be instantly better with either player added to their roster. If either of them were drafted by the Habs we’d worship them.

• Dust says:

I love the double standard. if he was a hab he’d be the most dominant power forward ever. Why can’t people just say he is a great hockey player. Seriousfan is a joke.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Perhaps because many of us still want great hockey players to be great people too and Lucic has demonstrated a sub-human streak during his tenure in Boston.

For me, the team does not make the player. Players like Beliveau and Koivu brought honour to the sweater, not the other way around. The sweater is an empty symbol (though he nicest in pro sports) until it is draped on a hockey player.

• Dust says:

Lucic does lots of charity work.. What makes you think he isn’t a great person. When he hit miller is the only thing i can think of. Even then you can argue miller should have stayed in his crease if he didn’t want to get hit.
          All i’m really saying is if you look at lucic he is an amazing power forward. no one in the nhl has his mix of strength and goal scoring ability. He deserves that contract.
          People can’t insult his play on the ice so they insult him on a personal level

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Most players who make salaries like Lucic understand enough, or are advised, to give back to the community in some regard. In any case, perception is personal … that is the point. And you are correct that everyone is agreeing he is a very good hockey player and many are agreeing, though not all, that all they can do is slag his character. That is what I am doing. Guilty as charged.

However, do a simple google search on Lucic and Hit and you’ll quickly see that a lot of people perceive Lucic to be a border line goon who has stepped over the line on many occasions.

• boing007 says:

Three cheers for Evolution!

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

64. Breaking:Lucic resigns with Bruins for 3 years $6M per season…
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

65. habsfan0 says:

Hey..Ron MacLean says no lockout so I’m not worried.

66. SmartDog says:

> would want nothing more than to see him get a career ending concussion

You went a little far there.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

67. Mark C says:

Why is it that good?

Alex Burrows who has similar production and plays a similar game, albeit not as well as Lucic, just signed for $4.5M AAV. $6M a year is Zetterberg, Sharpe, Toews, and Sedin’s, top-35 NHL forward level cap hit. At best, I think Boston signed Lucic to a market level extension. I don’t think it’s a bad contact, just don’t see where Boston got any cap savings.

68. Dr.Rex says:

Lucic reminds me of that animal boy who was found when he was 12 years old in France who had spent his entire childhood living in the wilderness.

ITs good to know that those outcasts in society can still make a good living.

69. JohnBellyful says:

It was rather harsh.
    Stubbing his toe five days in a row … I could live with that.

70. SmartDog says:

I agree. He’s a strong player, one most teams could use, but he’s not a superstar. I think it’s an okay deal.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

71. kempie says:

Painful testicles.

72. JohnBellyful says:

Sorry to hear that. Go see a doctor. :)

73. CanadienBoy says:

Agree everybody else getting sign something missing here