Familiar faces on Sportsnet’s NHL broadcast team

Sportsnet announced its complete broadcast team for the 2014-15 NHL season on Thursday with several familiar faces joining the network as it takes over the national broadcast rights for the first year of a 12-year, $5.2-billion deal. The Sportsnet team includes 39 hosts, play-by-play announcers, analysts and reporters.

Among the new additions announced Thursday were Glenn Healy, Kelly Hrudey, Craig Simpson, Mike Johnson, Darren Pang, Cassie Campbell-Pascall, P.J. Stock and Garry Galley.

Here’s a look at the complete Sportsnet team:

Hosts

• George Stroumboulopoulos (Hockey Night in Canada, NHL on Sportsnet)
  • Ron MacLean (Rogers Hometown Hockey, NHL on Sportsnet)
  • Leah Hextall
  • Jeff Marek
  • Daren Millard

Play-by-Play Announcers

National

• Bob Cole
  • Jim Hughson
  • Dave Randorf
  • Paul Romanuk

Regional

• Rick Ball (Calgary)
  • Kevin Quinn (Edmonton)
  • Paul Romanuk / Dave Randorf (Toronto)
  • John Shorthouse (Vancouver)

Game Analysts

National:

• Gary Galley
  • Glenn Healy
  • Mike Johnson
  • Craig Simpson

Regional:

• John Garrett (Vancouver Canucks)
  • Kelly Hrudey (Calgary Flames)
  • Greg Millen (Toronto Maple Leafs)
  • Drew Remenda (Edmonton Oilers)

Studio Analysts and Insiders

• Don Cherry (Coach’s Corner)
  • Damien Cox

• Arash Madani
  • Roger Millions
  • Dan Murphy
  • Scott Oake
  • Gene Principe
  • Christine Simpson

Meanwhile, RDS announced on Thursday that it will televise 64 Canadiens games and 52 Senators games this season. The Canadiens’ coverage will include four preseason games and 60 regular-season games. Pierre Houde will continue as play-by-play man for the Canadiens games with Marc Denis as colour commentator. Analysts will include Mario Tremblay, Benoit Brunet, Denis Gauthier, Guy Carbonneau and Vincent Damphousse.

TVA Sports has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday, Sept. 3 in Boucherville to launch its 2014-15 NHL and Canadiens coverage. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will be among those in attendance.

(Photo by Pat McGrath/Postmedia News)

Healy, Hrudey headline Sportsnet broadcast team, Sportsnet.ca

RDS Canadiens, Senators schedule, RDS.ca

Canadiens’ preseason schedule, canadiens.com

Canadiens’ regular-season schedule, canadiens.com

Former Hab Gomez invited to Devils camp, NHL.com

Former Hab White undergoes surgery, philadelphiaflyers.com

1. DeadEnd says:

On a completely unrelated note, the guy that organizes my softball team is saying he will likely disband the team after this season. So if anyone is looking for a light-hitting first basemen in the Aylmer/Gatineau/Ottawa area for next year, I may know a guy.

2. Cal says:

And the No side is ahead in the cherry pop sweepstakes.

3. East Coast says:

Hey all,

This ‘short’ off season seems rather long, shouldn’t the habs be playing hockey by now?! Maybe this feeling is due to the Fall weather we have been getting here since the beginning of August.

I’m looking for some tips and advice. Myself, my father-in-law and a buddy(a leafs fan – poor fella) all booked flights to Montreal for superbowl weekend yesterday. I have another buddy also considering going but at the moment he has some new job prospects that are in the air. It’s a little early I know but we’re all pretty pumped about it, none of us have ever seen a game at the Bell Centre and I personally have never been to an NHL game at all. So I’m hoping you fine, knowledgeable ladies and gentlemen can give me some tips, most importantly when and where should I look for game tickets?

And also any tips on where to stay (close to the bell centre)? where to eat, where to enjoy a soda pop ;), and where should we go for the superbowl?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

4. JUST ME says:

I mean come on ! 24 hours of Don Cherry`s face ! Enough is enough . Couldn `t we change it for something more suitable like…anything else but ?

With de la Rose coming in at #7, who am I missing if the top six are Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Scherbak?

24 Cups

Nov. 28th & 29th 2014 HIO Fan Summit Update!

Your tickets are in the mail.
    Your charity gift donation and your double ticket that I have stapled to your game ticket, will be collected as you enter the Baton Rouge at 3pm sharp.

Your tickets are now in the Mail to you. Don’t misplace them.

For everyone that want’s to join in, coming to our HIO Fan Summit. You are quite welcome to the Meet & Greet at Hurley’s Pub Friday eve. 2nd floor to watch the game on big screen.

Breakfast Sat. at Chez Cora’s,15% discount, 8:30am.
    Bell Center & Hall of Fame tour tickets, at the Bell Center at 10:30am.

Charity raffle and pregame dinner 3pm sharp at the Baton Rouge.
    Walk across the street to the game.

And back to Hurley’s Pub after the game to celebrate the win.

When you call the Novatel hotel, to make your special rate reservations, make sure you tell them you are with the HIO group to get your discount.

Have a wonderful weekend together boys and girls!
    Ian

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

Speaking about familiar faces, here’s a name you haven’t seen in the NHL since 2007 – Alexei Yashin.

Why do I mention Yashin? Mostly because he’s the one guy who has milked the NHL salary system the most during the past two decades. Yashin is now 41 years old but still collects an NHL salary of $2.2M (which places him ahead of 11 Habs in terms of salary for this season. He is currently #26 in overall career NHL earnings). This is the last year of his buyout which will give him a grand total of $72M dollars for 12 years of “work”.

24 Cups

8. Habfan10912 says:

I finally scanned down to my good friend Bripro’s post. There is comfort knowing that I’m not the only one.

A Bellyfull- like hilarious post Brian. Good stuff!

Good Morning Jim, I am hopeful today when I get home from work I find an envelope in my mail box from our pal Ian.

Yah Bripros post was a good one indeed!

• JohnBellyful says:

I thought I was reading my diary, it sounded so familiar. Eerie. I can relate, Bripro. Good stuff.
      (I had to really focus just to write this without getting sidetracSquirrel!

9. JF says:

The first pre-season game RDS is showing is not the Habs but the Leafs and Senators on 24 September. Yet the Habs play the Avalanche the same night. Last year RDS was fawning all over Patrick Roy’s team. Strange.

10. Mavid ® says:

40..40..lets sing a song about 40..how many is 40….40 days still the season starts..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

11. UKRAINIANhab says:

Morning all

If you care to put a face on your good ole pal UKRAINIANHab (why did I pick that name..why! The caps!!!!) there he is in that picture with his Canadian born daughter Oksana. CHeers.

So I installed XBMC and the NHL on Demand add-on. Quality wise it’s the same as hockey streams – 720p. So I think I am going to give it a whirl this coming season. Lots of great latest movies in high def. Will have to play with it some more. Sigh… still prefer the PVR and the dish but not at the price.

HiS, great work, btw. I too communicated with CRTC, Rogers and a couple of lawyers… but was just given a “we can’t do antyhing” crap. You have definitely taken this a lot further and I do hope there is a class action suit that comes out of it if only to attract more attention and press. Even Habs dead beat “journalists” are too quite on the issue… the treasure their passes and hot dog discounts too much.

13. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe on the various captain jobs available in the NHL.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

14. Un Canadien errant says:

That Chargers-Cardinals pre-season game is not much of a show, as expected for a Week 4 matchup, both teams are playing the guys who are about to be cut from the roster this weekend, but I have to admit the Chargers cheerleaders are already operating at peak efficiency.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

15. Louisville says:

WHY OH WHY! Why bring back Glenn Healey?! WHY!

16. UKRAINIANhab says:

Anybody see Texas A &M roll past the gamecocks!

Who needs Johnny Football! College football is officially on! Woooo Hoo! Hockey right around the corner as well! Woo hoo!

My solution to your blackouts: firstrowsports, or cogeco super sports pack.

17. habs001 says:

If you are a Leafs fan and live in Montreal to see all Leaf games you have to subscribe to Centre Ice(not counting the illegal feeds)
    So i agree all blackouts should be lifted but still not sure why the Habs should have special tv coverage over other teams…The French cultural issue is interesting but many of the fans here who watched the Habs on RDS out of the province dont even speak French…

• Habitant in Surrey says:

The French-language ‘exception’ to the NHL black-out rule is the only short-term solution at the moment.

My vision of dedicated, inclusive, value-added Canadian NHL team channels (i.e., a Habs Channel, etc.) is more long-term and pie-in-the-sky at this moment in time.

• Timo says:

I agree… the french language thing is a straw and we’re grasping at it but that’s all it is. I tried to play the language card with CRTC – cultural issue, blah blah. They didn’t bite :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Here’s the short and sweet version: English-speaking fans are still able to watch HNIC on CBC, for free over the airwaves, or as part of a basic cable package. The French version of HNIC, “La Soirée du Hockey” on Radio-Canada, was discontinued a few years back due to budget cuts years ago, to much protest across the country from francophone viewers. At the time, we were appeased by being told we now had to pay a modest monthly fee, but would get many more games from the private broadcaster RDS, not just on Saturday night. That was the tradeoff.

Now, francophone viewers outside Québec are being underserved, the promised much better service at a modest markup has been taken away. They’ve queered the deal on us.

I grew up watching les Canadiens on TV, it was the one show I really looked forward to as a kid. It sucks that kids growing up today will get a much, much inferior product in quantity, quality, and cost, and may end up not being fans as a result.

We’ve bought and paid for our hockey teams many times over with our beer purchases and Ford truck leases and Christmas gift jerseys for the nephews. Hockey is ours, we should own it outright. Yet we’re being forced to fork over our income to pirates like Pierre-Karl Péladeau and the estate of the dessicated, soulless Ted Rogers.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I was wondering when You were finally going to speak-up.

Federation of Francophone and Acadian Communities of Canada

Attn: Marie-France Kenny, President

and, Serge Quinty, Director, Communications

Head office

450 Rideau Street, Suite 300
        Ottawa (Ontario) K1N 5Z4
        Canada
        Phone. : 613.241.7600 Fax. : 613.241.6046
        Email: info@fcfa.ca

Federation of Francophones in British Columbia (FFCB)

ffcb@ffcb.ca

Chair: Réal Roy
        Executive Director: Friolet Yseult (Acting)

1575 7 th Avenue West
        Vancouver (BC) V6J 1S1

Tel. : (604) 732-1420
        Fax. : (604) 732-3236

18. Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t know if this has been posted before, it’s Artturi Lehkonen winning at the goalpost game, hitting the crossbar four times.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

19. Caesar says:

I was looking at this list and then read DDO Habs fan earlier . Imagine how Keith Jones and Milbury feel that they couldn’t make this list. How bad can you be not to be on here really? We need more Dean Brown ( I think that’s his name the monotone Senators guy) please, possibly the most boring voice in all of sports.

20. habs001 says:

The sportnet lineup is like the Habs …very hard for a new face to make it….On the other hand who was available that sportnet could have signed?..They will not go with unknowns and new people…People complain but at least give other options that they should have signed,and not broadcasters that are under contract in the USA or in Canada with other networks…

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

Rogers NHL Habs Petition Update:

The original objective for The Petition was 2000 signatures.

We hit that mark last week, and The Petitions’ target was up-ticked to a hoped for 5000 by the end of October 2014.

We have, as of today exceeded 2300, nearing the half way point of the 5000 goal.

Most of these fine Habs’ Fans’ supports were generated through HIO and My usage of Twitter, exclusively. In the past week, a couple Habs’ fans blogs have generously requested I provide information on the Rogers NHL Habs Petition, so I thank them.

Considering that I believe less than 25% of Montreal Canadiens’ Fans read or are members of HIO, or have a Twitter account, 2300 is a pretty impressive number.

It shows there is a potential to double the number of signatures on the Petition if We can reach tens of thousands of Habs’ Fans who have not heard of it yet by other means.

Some of the lessons I have learned along the way:

1) I started-out naming the petition the Rogers Petition, putting ‘the load’ on Rogers (Sportsnet), and the other cable providers, including TVA Sports, and Bell (RDS/TSN).

I still hold unfathomable disdain for Rogers’ Sportsnet, TVA Sports and Bell for the Mickey Mouse, dog’s-breakfast of cable packages We, especially Montreal Canadiens’ Fans, will have to endure this coming season.

But I learned the main-factor preventing access and creation of the value-added cable choice hockey fans want and demand across Canada is the NHL’s own corporate national black-out rule.

2) I have been receiving lots of interest from sports and fan blogs in Canada, Europe and the United States to write on the NHL black-out rules and the effects it has had on preventing competition, limitations to fans’ choice, and prevention creating value-added cable channel choice, at a cost affordable to all hockey fans.

Where I have received almost zero-support, or response, is from ‘sports journalists’ in the main-stream media. Main stream (television, radio, press) journalists indicate to Me a real hesitation, even fear, to challenge the NHL, either because of having their media access denied or limited by the NHL and it’s teams collectively.

That’s sad and discouraging to learn that objective investigative main-stream journalism is selective depending upon where it’s butter is spread.

3) I have learned that the NHL’s national black-out rule effectively takes Rogers/Sportsnet and the other cable providers technically off-the-hook, because, though they are complicit, and still are out-front because of their 12 year exclusive national broadcast rights with the NHL, they can juke-and-jive sharing-off blame between them, and ultimately arguing it is the NHL’s black-out rule that is preventing them doing what they really want to do as far as national broadcasting access is concerned.

So, as far as The Petition is concerned, We must continue to pressure Rogers by forcefully declaring that hockey fans, specifically Habs’ Fans (in Our case) are unsatisfied with our limited access to the French-language 82-game schedule, as well the quality of the cable product.

I emphasize the French-language broadcasts because that is the most realistic short-term goal for Habs’ Fans, is to find a solution to TVA Sports and RDS being able to cooperatively partner an 82 game access nationally, west of Quebec.

This too will depend on lobbying the NHL to reinstate an ‘exception’ to it’s national black-out rules specific to French language broadcasts.

Currently the CRTC is publicly declaring it will not intercede on the NHL’s black-out rules, that it is a ‘business’ decision between the NHL, it’s teams, and the broadcasters, and it has no intent to interfere.

The Rogers NHL Habs Petition is arguing, notwithstanding the CRTC’s current policy, that with enough public protest, and political pressure, the CRTC may have to change it’s current non-interfere policy.

Currently in the United States, in New York State, commencing February 2015, the NHL will begin to fight a class-action legal challenge to it’s present national black-out rule as being contrary to American non-competitive regulations and which causes consumer limitations of access, unfair, exorbitant cost by forcing consumers to purchase their premium Centre Ice product, even though Centre Ice, itself, is subject to the NHL’s black-out rules preventing fans to follow, legally, their favourite teams outside their local/regional zones.

In Canada, I have asked several high profile lawyers with prominent law firms to measure their interest in initiating a similar class-action in Canada challenging the NHL black-out rule.

I have received serious interest from a prominent law firm, and I am awaiting confirmation. Any law firm, especially these days, first have to evaluate how to monetize such a class-action. In other words, how to sue the NHL for financial damages.

Until that is determined and evaluated, we will have to wait to see if that duck can fly.

Another susceptibility for the NHL in Canada is Canada’s constitutionalised bilingualism and cultural mandates that apply also to national broadcasting policy. Which The Petition believes, in the end, the CRTC can not politically ignore.

Unlike the United States where English is the lone official language, a legal argument can be made to the NHL that an exception to the NHL’s national black-out rule is obliged to be made to French language broadcasting of the Montreal Canadiens for Francophones spread across Canada.

We have requested Canadian Francophone organizations across Canada to make such presentations at the scheduled CRTC hearings starting in September, in Ottawa, on the future of broadcasting in Canada.

So, a lot of things going on besides The Petition itself.

I am doing My best. I can not provide any guarantees. All I can do is My best.

The following are the latest 10 great Habs’ Fans to sign the Rogers NHL Habs Petition.

Thanks to all who have signed.

John balogh

Dave Mireault, Canada
    8 hours ago

Jeff Litvack
    20 hours ago

____________________________________________________

Follow Me on Twitter: @HabInSurrey

Read The Rogers NHL Habs Petition, and if You agree , please sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

22. PK says:

Looks like Eugenie is in for a fight, on TSN 4.
    Going into the third set, all squared.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

23. 416erHabsFan says:

Bob Cole is a god, Please stop the blasphemy!

24. DipsyDoodler says:

This is Ovechkin’s Instagram:

How about that sensitive dreamer-rebel look? and who could argue with the message?

It’s the weirdest thing isn’t it?

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• UKRAINIANhab says:

You agree with him?

Might have misunderstood what your saying. He makes no sense, because his puppeteer invaded our country because there are Russian speakers…sortive like how the worlds most known “fascist” invaded Austria, or invaded the Rhineland. I am also one of those Russian speakers…

…DIPSY started it :)

25. Marc10 says:

Great. Same broken CBC HNIC coverage now spread across Sportsnet. Bob Cole, Maclean, Healy, PJ… Ugh. :-(

The only consolation is those haters are going to be stuck watching our team every once in a while and will have to choke on our boys beating Boston and their beloved Laffs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, we’re basically getting the same horrible coverage from CBC, with gentlemen like Bob Cole and Don Cherry who should have been put out to pasture long ago, and ‘des deux de piques’ like P.J. Stock.

What we won’t keep from the CBC will be the amazing pre-game musical montages, or the technical wizardy, the seamless presentation that you only noticed when you watched an inferior product, and noticed how many goofs and poor edits and bad camera shots there can be in a hockey game. Usually that was observed on Sportsnet, while watching a Canucks game, or a CHL game, with Roger Millions warbling in the stands with the VP of Marketing for E-Z Auto Repair and Boat Loans while the puck is about to be dropped.

So it’s the worst of both worlds, Sportsnet had a chance to innovate, but they’re playing it safe, going for the lowest common denominator. So what if Bob Cole is hopelessly confused, more Abe Simpon or Hans Moleman than Danny Gallivan or Vin Scully, he still has ‘the voice’, as unfocused and unreliable as it may be. And let’s go to the U.K. and retrieve Paul Romanuk, who hasn’t worked in a decade, that’s not bizarre. And pilfer TSN, but for their worst announcer, Dave Randorf, the guy whose goal call has to be the worst in the business.

Great job Bettman, nothing like locking yourself into a monopoly with the worst hockey broadcaster in the country for a dozen years, that’s exactly what all the other leagues are doing. Er, uhm, wait a minute, now that I think about it, all the other major sports leagues are avoiding monopolies, and signing deals with at least three networks for their games.

Uhmmm….

• Marc10 says:

I always liked Paul Romanuk. He was knowledgeable and didn’t get in the way of the game like Cole does nowadays with his ‘senior moments’. It’s good they brought him back. I do wonder why he left in the first place.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I don’t dislike Paul Romanuk, but there are so many good announcers already working in Canada, I’m wondering why they felt a need to reach out to this guy. Some of the CBC guys beyond the abysmal Bob Cole, and the excellent Jim Hughson, get short shrift, guys like Mark Lee. In context, the fact that Sportsnet retains dinosaur Bob Cole, but then tacks on mediocre Dave Randorf and outsider Paul Romanuk is puzzling.

26. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I can’t believe we are about to start TWELVE years of this sh%t along with the boys out West getting screwed. Unbelievable. If you asked fans who are the worst Canadian hockey analysts, they are all on that list. If you added Milbury and Keith Jones, you would have the worst in the world. Geezus, they even have Darren “white way” Pang. They took everyone from the CBC except Petrillo, Weekes and the janitor. Also, whether you are a sexist or a feminist, where are the women??? There are no women journalists on the Score??? Honestly, I rather see Larionov’s daughter (forgot her name) than some of these neanderthals. Thank god for TSN 690…

27. on2ndthought says:

Well, back to school means much less fun on HIO!
    UKE: the very best for your brother
    veryhabby: it’s your husband that needs therapy!
    I’m with Ian on Bob Cole, LoopGaroo, because I’m the crazy uncle!
    Hobie: can’t wait for the streaming signal to catch up to HD large screen, ’cause then, bye bye Bell!
    DaHema: I think Molson may have too much respect for the amount of money Rogers invested to make waves about the right of every natural born Canadian to worship the Saint Flannel
    UCE: you are bang on about the commissioners, Bettman may earn his money, but he’s also earned every boo he’s heard (I hate Philly fans a tad less for their treatment of him during the draft)

“a cannonading drive”

28. TVI says:

Has there been any definitive answer for what people will do in Southern Ontario for all of the Habs games??

I usually just get RDS, and watch all 82 there, but I won’t be able to this year, anyone know??

Thanks!

29. BriPro says:

I had to share this…

Hockey-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests itself:

Tonight there’s a hockey game.
    Read it yesterday…. I think in the paper… or heard it on the radio.
    …in the car I think.

Anyhow, I look for the remote to watch this afternoon game.
    I can’t find the remote. I think I left it in the kitchen.

So I head to the kitchen when I look out the back window.
    My garden’s going yellow.

I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table and notice that the can is full.
    So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first…

But then I think, since I’m going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.
    I take my cheque book off the table, and see that there is only one cheque left.

My extra cheques are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Pepsi I’d been readying for the game.
    I’m going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Pepsi aside so that I don’t accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm, and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.
    As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye–they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I’ve been searching for all morning.
    I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I’m going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.
    Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when I go to watch the game, I’ll be looking for the remote, but I won’t remember that it’s on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, (something rings funny in my head about watching it tonight, but… whatever…)
    But first I’ll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.
    So, I set the remote back on the table, take yesterday’s paper (Headline: This afternoon’s Bruins/Habs game – a remake of last year’s playoffs) and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
    The car isn’t washed,
    The bills aren’t paid,
    There is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter,
    The flowers don’t have enough water,
    There is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book,
    I can’t find the remote,
    I can’t find my glasses,
    I’m pretty sure I’ve missed the game
    And I don’t remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I’m really baffled because I know I was busy all day,
    And I’m really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I’ll try to get some help for it, but first I’ll check my e-mail….

I have a few emails from Burly and Jim asking how I liked yesterday’s afternoon high-testosterone game.

Do me a favor.
    Can you check to see if I’ve posted this before, because I don’t remember.

Don’t laugh — if this isn’t you yet, your day is coming!

P.S. I don’t remember why I came on here.

Which socially-interactive site is this again?

30. Mavid ® says:

bored

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

31. UKRAINIANhab says:

Well, Looks like we get another year of Don cherry. I do not like him, but I am sure some people do. I am also sure that those people who do like him happen to be Leafs and Bruins fans. I am also tired of PJ Stocks anti Hab attitude. The CBC also makes him like in charge of the Habs, which is kind of Unfair. Ron maclean always asks PJ what he thinks of a certain situation going on with Habs, do they know 99% of Hab fans hate the guys guts?

Alex Ovechkin got political on us, I hope he impressed his city, Washington, who very much disagrees with his views.

Marleau: Bunch of trade rumours from a bunch of phonies. I know I have an extremely biased attitude to a player who wears #14 for our team, so maybe I am not credible here… but I would not trade Pleks straight up for Patrick. He plays similar to Vanek, and do we really want to go down that road again?

Last but not least, please keep my brother Anton in your prayers. He is in a very difficult situation tonight…I will say one thing, he is in Mariupol, Ukraine… Currently under siege. He also is a HUGE Montreal Fan. Thank you.

32. petefleet says:

At the risk of asking something someone else has already asked……will there be a full season of ENGLISH broadcasts of the Habs this year in Halifax, NS? I can watch RDS and enjoy the game but I do like to catch the interviews etc in English.

“There is no blog more boring than the one where everybody agrees with you.”

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

33. veryhabby says:

I live in GTA and married to Mr Leaf fan. Yes I go to therapy…..anyways he’s laughing at us whinny Hab fans. he keeps pointing out that now we are just like any other Nhl team fan that does not live in that region, he reminds me that we were spoiled as the only Canadian team that showed all its game nationally on RDS. Now we are just like every other fan. U don’t live in the region….u enjoy the few national games this new TV deal is offering.

As I said….therapy….

We were “lucky” to have RDS. It’s just now it’s been taken away from us nationally. And it sucks. Twighlight asked why Rogers wouldn’t make it available seeing how we all have been willing to pay for RDS in the past. It’s all about money, they r making it available but u havve to buy Centre Ice…which wow wouldn’t u guess it, it’s owned by Rogers for only $25ish a month. gee thanks!

Please Please, no Bob Cole !!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Loop_Garoo says:

Ahh, but he sounds like such a sweet old man. Every time I hear him, I think of the slightly crazy uncle that sits in the corner for every family dinner. Every body loves him, but he just sits there, mumbles some stuff, and people just smile at him and nod.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Bob Cole all damn day over Jim Hughson. Chris Cuthbert’s the best, though.

______________________________________________________
      Double or nothing on the Kraken bet.

35. BCG says:

Long ago, I gave up the idea of watching Habs games on regular TV in Ontario. The reasoning for alienating fans is probably nothing more than a simple cost/benefit analysis, with perhaps a bit of “surely English Canada doesn’t really prefer a Quebecker product???”.

In any event, and maybe I’m naive, but does this new TV arrangement affect internet broadcasting much? I can’t see much of a change other than the CBC webcast is now gone.

• Hobie says:

You can watch as many Habs games on the internet for free if you can put up with a not so great picture, adds popping up and losing your connection. If you send it to you giant screen TV it don’t look so great.

There is an illegal site called hockeystreams.com that you can apparently pay just over $100.00 for and get every NHL game, in close to HD format, period. People rave about it but it does seem sketchy

Then there’s NHL GameCenter which is useless if you are in the Canadiens regional area, which is east of Belleville. If there is a game available on regular cable in your area it will be blacked out. So even in Toronto or Vancouver, if the Habs are on TV there, it will be blacked out on GameCener there. So it’s pointless to have it in the Habs area and frustrating elsewhere because there are many nationally televised Habs games.

You can’t ditch your cable completely because you will not get all the Habs games online. No matter where you are in Canada. Unless you go the illegal way or put up with terrible looking free stuff.

I think that sums it up?

Hobie’s Habs Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byrgZ90b5Yw&feature=youtu.be

• BCG says:

Thanks Hobie, good to hear not much may change.

I’ve lucked out on a few site where the feed is American and pretty good quality. But mainly, I’ve learned to put up with the less-than-HD quality…which is pretty much what I grew up with ;)

I didn’t know east of Belleville was Habs area – I guess I can maybe go to my folks place and catch a game on TV here and there!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Firstrowsports is the business.
        ______________________________________________________
        Double or nothing on the Kraken bet.

• habcertain says:

If you are taking about NHL Center Ice, the only blackouts are when the game is being televised in your area on cable, east of Bellville will be ok if you get RDS and TVA.

36. JohnBellyful says:

Sorry, still not clear on the Habs broadcast schedule and blackouts.
    I live west of Belleville. Will my rabbit ears pick up the games?

37. JohnBellyful says:

I don’t usually do this but here are my lines:

Cox-Friedman-Morrison [putting eggs all in one basket]
    Hrudey-Pang-Healy [so I can call them the Goal Line]
    Name that can’t be used-Jaffe-Name that can be used with a t [no particular reason]
    Kypreos-MacLean-Stock [fourth-line specialists: announce scores of other games]

Bench
    Shannon-Spector [Sounds familiar. Beauty queen? Movie star? Pop singer?]

Sigh… I think any hope I had about watching Habs on RDS are gone. I hate NHL, I Rogers and I hate the Montreal Canadiens… all of them are part of one and the same money grabbing gang of crooks.

• Da Hema says:

It does raise some questions about Geoff Molson. While he isn’t a US president in terms of influence, he is likely one of the more influential NHL owners. Why would an owner of an NHL team who would want to expand his organization’s fanbase be agreeable to a broadcasting agreement that will undermine that objective, unless he is somehow convinced he can make more money with Rogers? If so, he is much worse than a greedy crook.

• B says:

Teams are only allowed to do regional deals, all national deals are done by the league. The NHL’s old boys club is tenure based. Unlike long standing owners such as Jacobs and Snider, Molson’s group is one of the newer NHL owners and as such actually has very little influence over what the league does.

–Go Habs Go!–

• DipsyDoodler says:

Because he wants his Quebec monopoly.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

39. twilighthours says:

I gotta be honest: I’ve totally ignored all the jibjab about the new TV deal. Since I live in the Canadiens’ region, I’m guessing I’ll be OK. So I haven’t invested any interest in the plight of my westerly HIO brethren. I know, not very fraternal-like.

Anyway, it strikes me as odd that Rogers has this huge Habs fan base all over Canada that is happy and willing to pay whatever so that Canadiens’ games can be watched. But yet it seems like there won’t be a good solution. Why is Rogers not providing this service to the customers?

I must be missing something.

• DipsyDoodler says:

They’d love to. The deal they signed won’t let them.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Actually, Rogers owns the rights to All games, across ALL platforms. They could very well sell the national french broadcast right to all Habs games that TVA doesn’t already have to RDS… but they won’t in the hopes that Hab fans will shell out $37 + tax/month for their Centre Ice package, instead of the $7/month that we paid last year for RDS.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

40. Un Canadien errant says:

Allan Muir has an exhaustive list of the possible NHL expansion sites, and quick analysis of each’s chances.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

41. Da Hema says:

Just as I was shaking my head over the rumor the NHL intends to expand — further diluting an already mediocre product — here comes the news of the hosts and analysts for the upcoming season. Only in Canada would a corporation purposefully taunt and mock its customers and viewers as CBC and now Rogers do. Who (or what) the hell is shielding Healy and Stock from the unemployment line?

• twilighthours says:

It is so sad.

Or maybe there’s just only a few people in Canada capable of talking about hockey on TV. That must be it. Good thing Rogers locked them up.

Your Summit update information is in the link below!
    Your Summit game tickets are in the mail.

When you get them, note your seat on here, and find out who gets to sit with guest Henri Richard.??

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

43. Un Canadien errant says:

Here’s why the NFL is a juggernaut, compared to the joke the NHL has become. The NFL has an actual commissioner who can admit when he’s wrong, as opposed to the obstinate, vindictive clod who is failing hockey.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

44. Thurston says:

So many of the same meatheads that were on HNIT are now polluting the airwaves on Sportsnet? Yeesh. I’m glad I have decided to only watch the Habs and nothing else, and since I live in southwestern Ontario, it doesn’t appear I’ll be seeing the Habs that often.
    On a side note, will Bettman and Pierre-Karl Peladeau be discussing expansion plans that the league is denying are happening? Will PKP assure Bettman that he can pay the expansion fee by outlining a plan to lay off more employees?

45. Bim says:

I’m hearing crickets to my question. I hope that Habs management realize that English speaking Canadians also follow the club don’t they? This TV schedule is just awful and disrespectful too if you follow the Habs in English. Personally I don’t mind tuning in to RDS for 64 games and the rest on Sportsnet but let’s get real here. This is a piecemeal schedule for English Canadians and the NHL’s oldest franchise deserves way better.

46. Mavid ® says:

ug…so sad that we are stuck with these goofs

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

47. Bim says:

Just one question? Whose doing English broadcasts of Habs games? This is all great for the rest of Canada but why are the Habs always treated like their on an island?

• Thurston says:

Supposedly Sportsnet is considering picking up a regional English package of Canadiens’ games. That would be good for those who live in that region, but for fans like me, we’re still screwed it would appear.

48. Morenz7 says:

Question for the floor:

This has probably been asked and answered a million times, but will those of us living west of the Quebec border be able to watch RDS Habs broadcasts on NHL Game Centre Live? Or will the blackout apply to streaming too?

• bwoar says:

Use a proxy, like unblock-us – it’s $5 a month and you will have zero blackouts. It’s good for more than this reason (ie. works to open up Netflix & other services too)

49. shiram says:

Loto Québec’s odd on the Habs captaincy

50. Ton says:

ok give me the run down here for I need to make some changes to my shaw direct tv package…………I got rds and cbc montreal…………….what will I get and what will I miss. Two of my receivers are based in Quebec and two in southern Ontario on their home away from home program. What do i need to do to get all the games please. Appreciate it.

51. sprague cleghorn says:

The RDS blackout becomes more painful by the minute.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

52. Kooch7800 says:

Just looked at the season schedule for October….It is terrible..

Start Wed, Thurs, Sat and Mon….4 games in 6 nights to start…really

53. Garbo says:

At least Milbury didn’t make the cut… unless another network picked him up.

54. Rossy says:

Say it’s not so. Don’t they know I turn the tv off when Cherry comes on? And Bob Cole doesn’t know who’s on the ice.

• Habilis says:

You dare to disparage Bob Cole? You must be young because nobody who remembers hearing this live would ever utter a bad word about the man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948V9fRFyOg

“And now a 24th Stanley Cup banner will hang from the rafters of the famous Forum in Montreal. THE CANADIENS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!”

I still get goosebumps. That dude gets a lifetime pass from me.

• scamorza says:

ThAnkfully that beautiful moment was watched in French. I agree with Rossy

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I’ll disparage Bob Cole. He has nothing interesting to say other that how much time is left, how much time has been played, how many shots are on goal, what the score is….. never worthy of broadcasting the Habs, and I say this because I’m old enough to remember Danny and Dick. And I watched that broadcast in French too.

• twilighthours says:

You are a blasphemer.

Further, that’s what the play-by-play guy does. The color guy is supposed to say interesting stuff.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Obviously unfamiliar with Danny Gallivan. I have been to the mountaintop.

• Loop_Garoo says:

That is him now though, it was different back then, and his style was always more that of an old friend telling you what was going on rather than a highly polished play by play machine.

• habsinthegap says:

I’ve always been frustrated with Bob Cole precisely because he seems to want to do colour, and falls behind the play. I guess it’s not really colour, he just goes down these rabbit holes continuing to describe something that happened 30 to 60 seconds earlier while the play has already moved down to the other end of the ice.

• scamorza says:

Said before and will say it again I actually remember a Bob. Cole broadcast and I think that was it for me… And there is errr somebody he passes the puck to errrr somebody. Holy crap thanks for that play by play. At least he realized it was two players on the same team

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• scamorza says:

Sadly, There will never be a Danny and dick again

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Rossy says:

Quite the opposite: I’m old … old enough to remember the incomparable Danny Gallivan!

• Thurston says:

I am always glad to hear when another person turns the TV off when Cherry comes on. Thank you.

55. jols says:

One noticeable omission is Kevin Weekes. I really liked him. They continue with trash like Healy and Stock and get rid of the only smart, articulate guy besides Friedman.

56. John Q Public says:

The coliseum is still standing but 17 years well that’s just to old.

57. Hobie says:

If they could only take the TSN 690 radio crew of John Bartlett, Sergio Momesso, Connor McKenna, Tony Marinaro, Mitch Melnick, give them a TV Station and let them broadcast all Habs games in English. Chris Nilan too!

Nilan and McKenna could replace coaches corner.

Throw Jessica Rusnak in there for Timo too.

58. John Q Public says:

PA
    PJ
    PK
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

59. Habilis says:

Not a fan of this whole different networks deal. I have been a die hard RDS guy for a while now. I like the consistency of having the same guys for every game. Now I will be forced to choose between TVA or CBC for 22 games plus the playoffs. Bleh.

On that note, does anyone have any inkling as to who the play-by-play guy will be for TVA? I haven’t seen anything. If it’s the same guy who does/did the French radio broadcasts for the past few years, I might be less annoyed by all of this. I don’t even know the dude’s name but he is truly amazing. At least that would give me a viable alternative to whatever leaf-blowing crew the CBC trots out.

• B says:

“TVA also announced the broadcast team for its Canadiens Saturday-night games. As previously announced, Félix Séguin (that one, not that one) will be the play-by-play man for those 22 matches. He’ll be joined by Patrick Lalime as an analyst. Also on the team are hockey insider Renaud Lavoie, who will take a position near the players’ bench, and Elizabeth Rancourt, who will recap other NHL matches (similar to what Andi Petrillo did at Hockey Night in Canada).

Dave Morissette will host TVA Sports’s postgame show.”

–Go Habs Go!–

60. JUST ME says:

Such a disapointment although not surprising…There are choices i cannot explain and i guess they are the same as most of you. I just why they do not take the opportunity to bring real changes.

Unfortunately the french team will also have it`s share of rednecks because the TVA sports team is made of rejects from everywhere else. The only one actually of high caliber is Denis Casavant that signed a deal with them leaving RDS .He probably will be the main man , the Pierre Houde of TVA. Other than that expect to be amazed by Michel Bergeron,Yvon Pednault,Renaud Lavoie,Enrico Ciccone and other second hand sports personalities…le sigh…

61. Luke says:

Once again, goons,grinders and back-up goalies with insight into how the game should be played.

Too bad we can’t get a Hall of Famer or a Point a Gamer to lend a voice to viewers that like goals and skating over dump and changes.

Edit: That’s not entirely fair, Cassie Campbell-Pascall played the game very well, and Craig Simpson could score some goals. He won’t take a stand or offer an opinion, though.

62. twilighthours says:

Well, that was depressing.

63. Cal says:

What a load of crap. Glad I have RDS for 60 games. It’s going to be a diufferent experience watching a Saturday night game with the “mute” button on all the time, but I will do it. Why is it that Rogers and HNIC are loaded with idiots like Healy or the permanently stupid Stock?
    Stu, why not replace that pic of the dinosaur with one of a real fossil?

64. Donkey Hoat says:

That list is a real bozo-fest.

65. tobbs says:

So for the MTL area, what cable stations to I need to have to catch all habs regular season and playoff games?

• Habilis says:

You definitely need RDS. Then you need at least one of TVA or CBC because those two stations will be broadcasting the exact same slate of Habs games, as I understand it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on that.

• B says:

The season opener in Toronto Wed. Oct. 8th is only on SN and TVA.

The 1st 3 Saturday games are not on HNIC, they are on City, SN and City respectively (and TVA). HNIC doesn’t start showing games until Sat Nov 8th.

Note that 3 games are on RDS only:
        -Sat Jan 31 1:00 PM vs Washington
        -Wed Mar 4th at Anaheim
        -Sun Apr 5th at Florida

Note also the Thursday Nov. 13 game is on SN360 and RDS.

Sorry, I edited this post a couple of time trying to get it right.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habilis says:

Thank you.

So basically, if you live in the Montreal area and want to see 82 + playoffs, you need RDS and TVA or RDS and CBC/Sportsnet/City. TVA is kind of redundant unless you really want to watch in French.

66. Say Ash says:

“Canadian hockey fans deserve a broadcast team that is just as passionate about the game as they are. It was important that we assemble a crew of experienced, knowledgeable, entertaining and accomplished broadcasters with diverse backgrounds and experience, to create a fresh, new viewing experience that will resonate with fans of all ages.”

– Gord Cutler, Rogers Senior VP of NHL Production, having hired Don Cherry, Glenn Healy and P.J. Stock

67. John Q Public says:

Wouldn’t be more humane to put him down already?

68. habs08 says:

Does anyone have any insights into how to catch Habs games this season if you live in the Toronto area? I usually watch on RDS but I’ve heard RDS is going to blackout broadcasts west of Belleville. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don Cherry on HI/O!