Expect ‘very fast ice’ for Heritage Classic: NHL

AUDIO: NHL’s Dan Craig

The outdoor Heritage Classic between the Canadiens and Calgary Flames is less than two weeks away, and NHL facilities operations manager Dan Craig is already hard at work with his crew preparing McMahon Stadium for the Feb. 20 event.

In a 15-minute conference call with media this afternoon, Craig spoke of preparations for the event, the second involving the Canadiens; the Habs also participated in the 2003 Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton vs. the Oilers.

Craig said the long-range weather suggests minus-5 to minus-6 C on game day – ideal temperatures for organizers – with the mercury dipping as low as minus-10 C. Either way, that certainly will beat the rain that faced Craig and the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals at Heinz Field on New Year’s Day for the Winter Classic.

Said Craig: “It’s going to be a very fast sheet of ice… for these guys to play the best game they can on that particular day.”

See below for cover artwork of the Heritage Classic program, released today:

Heritage Classic souvenir program cover:

1. WestHab says:

can’t wait but a long range forcast?? You go to be kidding they can’t predict the next hour in Calgary never mind 13 days from now. I hope they did not jinx the weather by saying it will be perfect. By the way we got a pile of snow today just because they started to remove the snow off the field late last week.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

2. Exit716 says:

That was Ulf Sammuelsson that high sticked Mondou. He never got his, except for the time Tie Domi suckered him and got an eight game suspension for the effort.

3. Cool Ice Price says:

All the Leafs need is a Top Goalie. They have scored one less goal than the Habs for petes sakes!

4. gohabsgo25 says:

whoever is going to the classic. where are all the habs fans meeting? we should make a perfect entrance in the stadium

5. Da Hema says:

Good eye. It was Ulf.

6. Habnofear says:

HardHabits is Todd Bertuzzi and DeHema is Cris Simon ? Internet toughguys eh? Or HOCKEY DADS FROM HELLLL……….

7. The Teacher says:

A crapload of crap indeed. So disappointing.

8. habstrinifan says:

Just read one of the most interesting trade rumour.. Alez Kovalev to Pittsburgh.

If Crosby is not shelved for the season, I think this is a very plausible solution to Pittsburgh injury problems.

Ale xis a bum but even a bum will score playing with Crosby.

9. longbow says:

If they get a chinook they’ll be playing in sneakers with an orange rubber ball.

10. matrags says:

thats my point Ian , and when he comes back will it be with a thin skull , will he be able to play like he has in the past or will he have to be looking over his shoulder worried about the next hit to his head …..

11. gunther7766 says:

Shopping Trolley, Wholesale Shopping Trolley, Shopping Cart, Wholesale Shopping Cart, Shopping Basket, Wholesale Shopping Basket, Shopping Trolleys, Shopping Trolley on sale, Shopping Trolley for sale, Shopping Trolleys for sale, Supermarket Trolleys, Wholesale Supermarket Shopping Trolley, Supermarket Shopping Trolley, Wholesale Shopping Trolleys, Wholesale Plastic Trolley, Customize Shopping Trolley, Customize Plastic Trolley, Customize Supermarket Trolley, Plastic Trolley, Plastic Trolleys, Supermarket Plastic Trolley, Plastic Trolley on sale, Plastic Trolley for sale, Shopping Trolley Sale, Shopping Carts, Wholesale Shopping Carts, Wholesale Shopping Cart, Wholesale Supermarket Shopping Carts, Wholesale Supermarket Shopping Cart, Customize Shopping Cart, Customize Shopping Carts, Supermarket Shopping Cart, Supermarket Shopping Carts, Supermarket Plastic Shopping Cart, Supermarket Plastic Shopping Carts, Custom Shopping Cart, Custom Shopping Carts, Plastic Shopping Carts, Plastic Shopping Cart, Wholesale Plastic Shopping Carts, Wholesale Plastic Shopping Cart, Shopping Carts For Sale, Shopping Cart For Sale, Shopping Cart Sale, Shopping Carts Sale, Supermarket Shopping Carts Sale, wholesale Baskets, wholesale Basket, Shopping Baskets, Wholesale Supermarket Shopping Basket, Wholesale Shopping Baskets, Supermarket Shopping Basket, Supermarket Shopping Baskets, Customize Shopping Basket, Customize Shopping Baskets, Custom Shopping Basket, Custom Shopping Baskets, Plastic Basket, Plastic Baskets, Wholesale Plastic Basket, Wholesale Plastic Baskets, Supermarket Plastic Basket, Supermarket Plastic Baskets, Customize Plastic Basket, Customize Plastic Baskets, Custom Plastic Basket, Custom Plastic Baskets, Plastic Basket for sale, plastic shopping baskets, plastic shopping baskets wholesale, supermarket basket, shopping baskets plastic, shopping baskets plastic, shopping baskets for sale, shopping baskets wholesale,

相关的主题文章:

12. matrags says:

on Ovie , did the League review it , or does he walk again….

13. CoffinJR says:

Gohabsgo25,

Ill be there, but wasnt sure if there was gonna be a meeting spot for the habs. If anything it should probably be on the eastside where all the people from the lrt get off. Is there lots of people from HIO that are going?

Crosby might be out for the season as a precaution also

15. habs365 says:

it’ll all come out in the wash

16. The Cat says:

I was thinking Samuelsson as well.

17. Da Hema says:

I am with you entirely. Cooke is one of those players who, like Kjell Samuelsson (who ended Pierre Mondou’s career, amongst others), requires a biblical form of justice.

18. PeterD says:

Matt Cooke’s legacy…

Savard – concussion (maybe career ending)
    Markov – Knee injury game 1 against Pittsburg in play-offs…may be career ending as it has weakened his knee severely…
    And now Ovechkin – knee…lucky he hasn’t any damage to his knee from that recent cheap shot.

When will the NHL address this A–Hole and deal with the legacy of dirty hits he hands out.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

So Savard is out for the season.

On a related topic, Matt Cooke did a knee on knee yesterday. Very dangerous play.

20. Da Hema says:

The NHL will do nothing. The question is when will an opponent decapitate him. Cooke sorely deserves it; I’d praise a player who ended his career.

It’s rare if ever that I wish injury upon a hockey player. Matt Cooke is one of those rare exceptions. I got a great deal of joy watching Evander Kane pummel him. Not enough though. Cooke truly deserves to be taken out. The harder the better.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness, the Markov injury was the result of a pretty normal bodycheck.

23. wd40 says:

ah.. the Canadian Super Bowl Commercials were simply AWESOME.  Those 37 commercials for the Season Finale of Flashpoint made me want to claw my eyes out.

24. fbkj says:

another reason to dissolve the CRTC

25. HABSsince92 says:

I wonder if Price will wear throwback “brown” Vaughn pads like he did back in 08-09 or have a special mask done up, maybe sport a tuque like Jose did in 03? Anybody know?

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

26. Storm Man says:

Price is going to have a special mask done for that game.

27. notbigbird says:

We all have a different “take” on this. IMO he’s having a little fun, turning it into a sort of a contest. Why not?

28. zaq007 says:

Who cares, as long as money goes to charity it doesn’t matter how

29. ed lopaz says:

Seriously, serious.

The guy started a Twitter account on Feb 3rd.

He has close to 7000 followers already.

He just came up with an “excuse” to give away 10 Grand.

I read this story completely differently. The guy is being generous.

How many Habs donated 10,000 this week? None?

Heres how a Boston reporter wrote about the same story.

In Boston, people have a tough time finding reasons to like the Flyers, but here’s one.

Matt Carle will donate $10,000 to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia if he reaches 10,000 followers on Twitter, according to Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy.

As of this writing, Carle is right around 7,000 followers. You can click here to see his profile and follow him.

The 26-year-old Carle is a native of Alaska, and he won the 2006 Hobey Baker Award while playing for the University of Denver.

30. Hockey Socks says:

I’m pretty sure David Perron did the same thing, he’s hardly a rotten egg.

31. A. Berke says:

and every penny is tax deductible for him!

he must be a very generous person!

Ali B.

32. CBrady12 says:

Get off your high horse already…Who are you to criticize a guy cause hes giving sick kids money? If you are gullible enough to believe that he wont give the money regardless of how many twitter followers he gets then I just lost some respect for you

33. _Habsoloutly_ says:

thats sad

34. SeriousFan09 says:

A Philidelphia Flyers player can’t even donate money to children without making it about himself. Defencemen Matt Carle says he’ll make a donation to the Philidelphia Children’s Hospital of 10,000$ if he gets 10,000 followers to his Twitter account by the end of the season. Carle is getting 3,437,500$ this season and next by the way so that’s a grand total of .3% of his income if people agree to care what he tweets about.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

35. ed lopaz says:

I think getting The Wiz was an excellent move – but especially if we sign him past this year.

I DO NOT LIKE RENTAL DEALS THAT COST US DRAFT PICKS.

I do like deals that bring in guys still in their prime who can be re-signed.

Although we are missing Markov and Gorges, the East can be had this year.

I would go for the home run.

Give up what it takes to get Iginla or a Rick Nash type of player.

I would not touch the following players:

Price, Subban, Pacioretty, and Leblanc.

Everyone else is on the table – for the right deal.

Why not??

A team like Calgary or Columbus might go for it – if we offered them the right package.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

According to Pierre Lebru we are in the market for either Kaberle or Chris Phillips.

From what I have seen both of these guys are well past their prime.

OK, so is half our defence. But you get the point.

37. habstrinifan says:

1. 75%

2. Would mean that any success in playoffs would rest with goalie performance like Halak gave us and it would end when we meet Philly or similar.

I am pushing for Iginla… highly unlikely or Chris Neil AND Chris Phillips, which is definitely do-able.

38. SmartDog says:

Such a great pair of questions, that if you were a woman I’d want to squeeze them!  (Can I say that?)

1. I think PG WILL make a signficant move – 60%.  A large veteran with some sandpaper… that’s as far as I could make a strong guess but if I push a little further I’d say a veteran that can stand in front of the net and cause trouble.

2. If he DOESN’T do anything it means he thinking we can do what we did last year with a similar team. To which I would say “by what we did last year would that be reach the conference final or bow out to the first really physical team we meet?”.  And I think it would mean that there isn’t much available because I think based on PG’s moves to date he’s made some timely ones and lord knows we need more goals, more grit, and a goal-front presence.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

39. Habnofear says:

I’m sorry to say this but given the recent history of the franchise I don’t see Pierre’s ego making a move .And so we can hope for a second round playoff showing if we make it to the big show while the other teams firm up in hope’s of a showing in the finials.And here’s the problem at hand …it seems to me that no one in management ever ask themselves or sets the Habs up for a showing in the final round.It’s like they don’t believe it could happen?

40. HabFanSince72 says:

I think he will make a move – I doubt it will be significant (in the sense of implicating a major talent). A Dominic Moore or Matthieu Schneider type deal would not surprise me.

Two reasons for not making a major move (unless you have the opportunity of fleecing someone) are 1. those deals aren’t as easy to make in the cap era 2. we’re not one player away from either making the playoffs or challenging for the cup. If we were either a bit worse or a bit better I could see it.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

1. I’d put them at 15%, we don’t have the defensive horses to do a deep run this year and with so many teams still competing for a playoff slot, the expense of any kind of impact acquisition will be high and would hurt the club in assets.

2. That he’s confident in the team’s ability to make the post-season and perform and will wait for a more opportune time in the team’s future to make a deal for the long-term benefit of the club. Bold moves are not always the right moves, just look at TOR.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. LA Loyalist says:

Question for the commentariat:

1. What are the odds of PG making a significant move by the 28th? 25%? 50% 75% 100% Nada %

2. What does it mean if he doesn’t do anything? (Obviously there is the possibility that a deal can’t be done).

back on my meds, feeling much better, quite happy with mediocrity now

43. ed lopaz says:

how about AK46, Webber, Avstin and our 1st round pick for Nash?

They get a sure fire 20 goal scorer (who we replace with Nash) – upside to 30-35

An NHL d-man who can run a power play as early as next year

A very talented scorer who is 1 season away from the NHL – max 2

and a 1st rounder.

I would do it in a second.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Nash is their Franchise Player, he’s how they put bums in seats and he’s who they have been trying to build around for years, drafting Derrick Brassard in 2006 and now Ryan Johansen trying to find that elite centre who can play to Nash’s level and help him reach heights that Iginla in CGY was so often left to chase solo.

We’re not getting him for a dodgy performer, a defencemen with 33 NHL games under his belt, a prospect with less than 40 AHL games and a 1st-round pick that will be in the 20s in a weak draft year. Ed, I’d make that deal as well but it would never happen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

45. ed lopaz says:

What would you give for Nash – 72?

46. The Teacher says:

If Columbus wants Max….for NASH……oh I wouldn’t even think twice.

Subban, however, is a different story.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

To get Nash? It would involve one of your untouchables being in the trade at the very least, we are talking about a franchise player after all and they’re going to want someone very young and with a ton of upside, likely two 1st-round picks and extra prospects as well. Franchise players demand replacement value unless they’ve got a Pronger or Roy situation for themselves.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

48. ed lopaz says:

you forgot Stamkos!!

I would trade PK for Crosby or Stamkos.

49. HabFanSince72 says:

As I said below, I don’t see why Columbus would even  talk to us unless PK was on the table.

And I would not trade PK for any other player than  Sidney Crosby.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

The question is what would Columbus take.

None of our disposable parts is the answer.

They’d want Subban or maybe Pacioretty before they even started  talking about a deal.

51. ed lopaz says:

Well, what would you give for Nash, Serious?

52. HabFanSince72 says:

QUestion: You would do it if you are the Habs or you would do it if you are Columbus?

I would do it if I was the Habs.

But it’s an atrocious deal for Columbus.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

If Price, Subban, Pacioretty, and Leblanc are untouchable, I don’t see how you can entice Columbus to trade Nash.

54. Da Hema says:

I understand what you are saying. Shameless self-promotion is the distasteful part of modern charity. Even governments, with our monies, shamelessly promote themselves for doing what they are supposed to do in the first place–ensure the public interest. I despise the oh-so-modern need for people to have to tell others what great people they are. I guess I am old-fashioned.

55. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Why don’t you get off your high horse and stop telling people what to do here.  Stop pretending you’re better than everyone else here and we all want to be judged by you.  You’re attacking one of most non-confrontational posters here because you don’t like his opinion, it’s really unnecessary.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

I donate money to charity as well but I don’t feel the need to attach conditions to it or brag about it, I find the practice of doing so cheapens it. If he wants to promote the Children’s Hospital he’s free to do so on his Twitter feed but saying he’ll give 10,000$ when he gets 10K followers is not that impressive to me.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. fbkj says:

disagree

last night, howard stern was tweeting if he hits 100,000 followers, hed share a pic of his smoking wife in her panties

THAT is appropriate for getting twitter followers

pimping out a donation in order to get followers is a tad gauche

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t see the necessity in doing this at all. In my family we don’t brag about how much money we give to charitable causes. It’s being a decent person to donate your time and or money to a worthy cause, I do not see the need to make it about yourself in giving money away. Giving the money to the organization and then saying “Donated to “ABC” today but they need all the support they can get, check them out at ‘Dotcom’ and see what you can do!”.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

59. fbkj says:

alright thats a thought out response that at least has some logic behind it, still though… too many dark moments come to mind when i think of kovalev

coolio

60. fbkj says:

dude you seem like a nice guy, easy to talk to, you arent particularly rude wich is nice on an internet message board, but i have to beg you

please

please stop it with this mission to make the habs fruity

61. jimmy shaker says:

Don’t want them to be fruity, but in a cap world sometimes you have to live and die by the almighty dollar.  Therefore I look for guys who do a good job at a decent price.  Since we already have our top guys locked up in big dollars and big contracts, it’s very important for the remainder of the roster to be cost effective.  I’d love it if we could get Neil from ottawa for some toughness and the odd goal here and there, but my takes on kovy are pretty valid I feel.  A decent player who could help out the PP and could be had for cheap.   As for MAB, I like him because he puts up lots of points and is very cheap. Sure he sometimes is a liability on the back end but I compare him and the wiz and for the price difference I go with MAB everytime.  IF the cap didn’t exist than I would not want KOvy or MAB, but it is what it is now, that’s how I see it!

Shaker

62. ed lopaz says:

Shaker – Kovalev has lost his speed.

He can no longer skate.

The game has become too quick for him.

Your man almost scored last night for Tampa – picked up an assist.

63. jimmy shaker says:

I didn’t think he ever had any speed.  He can help out our PP and would be a cheap rental for the playoffs.  Actually MAB had 2 assists and over 17 min played last night.  A very nice first game back.

SHaker

64. jimmy shaker says:

Sure thing boss.

Shaker

65. The Teacher says:

EEEEEEEEeeeeuuuuuuuuuWWWWWWWWWWWWW

66. fbkj says:

weve moved on from kovalev

67. jimmy shaker says:

Talked about something like this on another thread……I see it a bit like you as well…..I don’t want PG do mortgage the future for a rental player.   SO my idea was to go after AK27 from the sens for a 3rd rounder.  Ottawa and Murray are at a disadvantage in dealing or asking for big returns on their players since they and the team have basically sucked all year.  So getting AK27 for the remainder of the season could be a trick PG could play for a cheap price tag.  He could help the PP and his best play as a hab has been in the second season so it could be a good fit.  I think getting a big name in the back end would cost too much and don’t want to go down that road till the summer time.

Shaker

68. Da Hema says:

And combine his love of Rocket with love of Dan Williams (“book ‘em Danno”) and you have a home run. Plus the “ehhhhhh Fonzie, sit on it” line s/he had a few days makes Danno one of my fave posters.

69. fbkj says:

buddy of mine rick rolled his wife during their wedding ceremony

70. Danno says:

Two-four, this is way better…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

71. bigdave says:

Or Beehive Corn Syrup.

The photo looks like a Beehive Habs Photo.

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

72. Da Hema says:

You’re a peach Danno!

73. Danno says:

24, De Hema, *Group hug*

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Spot on.

You know, I have a confession to make.  Every time, and I mean every time, I see your avatar, it takes my make to the days of the Rocket.  I was pretty young, but I still remember.

When it’s all said and done, it’s still the best photo on the site.

75. andrewberkshire says:

“How many Habs donated 10,000 this week? None?”

The more pertinent question, is how many bragged about it on twitter to get attention.

76. The Teacher says:

I agree, giving a guy heck for donating money is pretty cheap. I am sure that this is not the only donation he will make this year. After all, I’m sure he gets a BIGGER tax break if he gives more ;P

77. ed lopaz says:

True enough – and maybe Carle has done some other charity work in Philly?

This was just a way to communicate via Twitter.

If you click the link, he donates money.

It gets 10,000 people involved in charity.

Also, maybe he was hoping other Twitters would copy him??

78. SeriousFan09 says:

When you make over 3 million a year, why need an excuse at all to give away a bit of that money? Why not just do it? Gomez and Gionta took over Kovalev’s Loge for Kids when they arrived in the 09-10 season. They never said they’d do it based on this or that, they just did it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Perfect post, Danno!

BTW, I can’t say that I’m looking forward to all those Tim Horton commericals.  They drive me crazy.

80. Danno says:

Looks like Tim Hortons thinks Alex Auld will be in nets. Sure looks like him in the poster.

And the Calgary player looks like Al Capone!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

81. Storm Man says:

I was thinking it was a pic of a young Boone playing pond hockey. Hey Boone two mins for looking so good!.

They should be marketing this more in the US, as it’s another example of Canadiana at its finest.

83. HABSsince92 says:

Thanks for the response…….did you read this somwhere online?

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

84. Storm Man says:

Price said it himself Saturday on HNIC.

85. Jocko says:

Chris, here in Calgary the term” Weather Forecast” should be changed to “The Best Guess Challenge”.  Two days ago, there were rivers running from melting snow and temps at about 8 degrees.  Today, about six inches of snow and minus 18.  In two days from now, best guess is a high of zero degrees.

I hope there is good weather for the Classic.  With the dough people are spending for tickets, i would hate to see them have to put up with minus 30.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

86. Chris says:

They can’t even predict the weather tomorrow, and they’re trying to tell me what it might be like in two week’s time? ;)

87. The Cat says:

Anything resembling a moose or a snowman.

88. LA Loyalist says:

From the LA Times (don’t kill the messenger) Youpi ranks 14th out of 28 mascots. Keep the cards and letters coming! (P.S. – what the heck is “Canadian looking”?)

Youppi may be unrecognizable, quite chubby, and not very Canadian-looking, but he’s the only mascot ever to switch sports (he was the mascot of the Montreal Expos until 2004) and it’s just impossible not to love that face!

89. habs4ever2894 says:

What happens if its too warm on that day? Will the game be postponed or would it be played indoors?

90. CoffinJR says:

My father and I will be there no matter the weather! (unless its warm enough that all the ice melts) Hopefully Cammi will be back by then!

91. habstrinifan says:

Would love Chris Phillips and Chris Neil from Ottawa. Our team would suddenly become real hard to play against. And yes I know Ottawa is sucking now but both are sound, consistent performers and would respond with energy at the opportunity to play in MTL.