Exclusive: ‘Would have been interesting,’ Robinson says of Habs post

Larry-jersey

All members of the Canadiens wore a No. 19 jersey for warmup on Nov. 19, 2007 when Larry Robinson’s Canadiens jersey was retired.
François Lacasse, NHLI via Getty Images

For nearly an hour on Sunday from his home in Florida, Canadiens Hall of Famer Larry Robinson spoke to Hockey Inside/Out’s Dave Stubbs about his latest brush with a coaching position with his former team. Robinson took the high road, but there’s no question he would have enjoyed the chance to work with some of the Habs’ young blue line prospects.

Here is that story:

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

It’s probable, even likely, that the coaching career of Larry Robinson is not over.

It just won’t be continuing with the team on which he became a Hall of Famer, winning six Stanley Cups as one of the greatest defencemen of all time.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin rounded out his club’s coaching staff last week, naming former Habs defenceman Jean-Jacques Daigneault as the second bench assistant for head coach Michel Therrien. Daigneault joins Gerard Gallant, with Clément Jodoin contributing perspective from the press gallery and Pierre Groulx continuing his work as goaltending coach.

There had been considerable talk in the Canadiens universe since Bergevin’s May 2 hiring that Robinson, at that time an assistant coach for the New Jersey Devils, would be an ideal choice to nurture a young Montreal defence corps.

Ultimately, the composition of the coaching staff was left up to Therrien, and last Friday he decided on Daigneault as the final member of his staff.

There is no bitterness in Robinson, who a few times in the past half-dozen years has been in a contractual position to return to the Canadiens in a coaching capacity.

On several occasions, long-time Robinson friend and business agent/adviser Donny Cape has attempted to broker a deal to bring Robinson back to Montreal as a coach, team ambassador or both. For a variety of reasons, from awkward timing to telephone calls that were not returned by the club to team brass saying it was satisfied with its incumbent staff, a Robinson-Canadiens reunion has not taken place.

It is not happening again, Robinson’s NHL career now unlikely to end in the city where it began.

On Sunday, from his Florida home, Robinson spoke to me for nearly an hour.

“I understand the Canadiens had to get going, they couldn’t wait,” he said, settling into the off-season with his wife, Jeannette.

“They decided, and they chose Daigneault. They had to move on in their task to improve their club.”

It’s no secret that a number of NHL clubs have expressed interest in Robinson’s coaching talents. Complicating matters with the Canadiens was the fact that he was unable in recent days to come north for a face-to-face interview, tied down in Florida dealing with the onslaught of Hurricane Debby and the torrential rains that overflowed his swimming pool and swamped the 12-acre polo farm he co-owns, stabling and training polo horses.

I had suggested in a May 10 Gazette column that Bergevin, who was searching for his head coach, could do worse than to consider a bench tandem of Guy Carbonneau and Robinson. Carbonneau, I wrote, could return to the head-coaching post from which he was fired in early 2009 and Robinson, Carbo’s longtime friend and former teammate, could serve as one of his assistants.

Several media instantly spun this suggestion into stories that had Robinson actively courting a job in Montreal, which wasn’t the case. Still under contract to the Devils and in the heat of the playoffs – Robinson had been an assistant coach, head coach and special assignment coach on New Jersey’s Cup victories in 1995, 2000 and 2003 – he denied any such interest.

“Things are always going to be taken out of context, that’s what happens,” he said. “It didn’t bother me, (a Montreal job was) nothing I was thinking about.

“Our game is filled with rumours. That’s what gives you (media) guys your jobs and it’s what makes the world go around. People love hearing that kind of stuff. I’ve been around it all my life. You take it with a grain of salt and life goes on. Twitter, Facebook … it’s amazing.”

But a couple of days after the Devils’ Stanley Cup final loss to the Los Angeles Kings, Bergevin contacted New Jersey president and GM Lou Lamoriello to ask permission to speak to Robinson to explore coaching possibilities. Under contract until midnight on June 30, the Canadiens were obligated to follow this route.

Lamoriello gave his permission and Bergevin placed his call, which preceded a brief phone chat between Robinson and Therrien.

“The fact that the Canadiens even thought about me coming there, Marc asking Lou permission, that’s an honour,” said Robinson, who forever has taken the high road in discussion about his former team. “It honestly took me by surprise.”

The 61-year-old was packing up in New Jersey when Bergevin called, Robinson arranging to ship his belongings and two vehicles to Florida on a trip that became a nightmare because of a clumsy mover and the violent arrival down south of the hurricane.

“The mover and I got into a yelling match over the phone. It started at the side of the (polo) barn and by the time I got finished yelling at him, I was in the middle of one of the paddocks,” Robinson recalled, laughing. “I told him to stick his company up… He told me he had my $600 deposit and I said it was almost worth the deposit just to tell him to stick his company.

“It felt so good,” he said of the full-decibel venting. “I didn’t get my $600 back, but at least I felt better.”

Robinson’s assistant-coaching contract with New Jersey was to expire as the calendar turned to July 1.

“We don’t know what’s going on there right now,” he said of the team’s fragile financial situation.

Robinson’s departure ends his long New Jersey relationship with Lamoriello. The bond of the two men is so special that Robinson chose Lamoriello, and not a former coach or teammate from his glory years with the Canadiens, to introduce him on Bell Centre ice on Nov. 19, 2007 for the retirement of his No. 19 sweater.

“Lou’s an incredible person,” Robinson said. “He’s a man of his word, and there’s not many like him in this world any more. He’s one of a few special kind. I can’t say enough about what he’s done for me.”

As Robinson mopped up in Florida, Cape kept in touch with Bergevin about the versatile role Robinson might play. Other teams had expressed interest in Robinson so the Canadiens broadened their defence-coach search, casting a wider net.

Therrien apparently liked Daigneault so much, the decision was made to hire him before Robinson had a chance to interview for the job.

“Nature didn’t help me get up to Montreal and have a formal discussion with them,” Robinson said of the hurricane and his delay to meet, upon the Canadiens request, with Therrien. “We can speculate all we want about whether that made a difference. This was a decision they made and I have to live with it.”

He hears the suggestion that perhaps a hockey man of his stature, winner of nine Stanley Cups as a player and coach, might have been viewed by Therrien as a threat and would reduce the returning head coach’s comfort level.

“I would have made (Therrien) feel comfortable,” Robinson said, cutting off this theory in mid-sentence. “A lot of people think because I won a Cup as a head coach and coached for so long, I’m there only to watch (Therrien) fail so I can take the job myself.

“Believe me, that’s the furthest thing from my mind. All I want out of the game now is the fun of working with whoever I’m working with, trying to give whatever knowledge I’ve gained through my experiences to help do whatever I can to make the team better to win another Cup. That’s all I’m there for.

“I’m not there to threaten anybody’s job. That’s not the way to go through life. You have to be a pretty vindictive person if you’re there, working with a guy, and you’ve got a big dagger in your hand ready to stab him in the back. It’s not the way I was brought up and it’s not the way I work.”

Robinson says he has not personally had any discussion with Canadiens principal owner Geoff Molson about a role as a team ambassador, though Cape has had a few informal talks.

Even if Robinson wasn’t involved in coaching, a goodwill/public relations role would make perfect sense, given the greatly limited roles now of ambassadors Jean Béliveau and Henri Richard. Robinson was, in fact, named by the Canadiens themselves to their all-time dream team.

“You never close any doors,” Robinson said of returning one day to the Habs. “I don’t want to coach forever. At some point I want to lay back and enjoy my kids. I’ve got a grandson, Dylan, playing Little League baseball, I’ve got twins in California (grandchildren Blake and Brian, the latter named for Robinson’s late brother) whom Jeannette and I want to be able to spend more time with.

“And I want to be able to spend more time with my horses. I can’t continue playing polo when I’m into my 70s, though some do.

“There’s going to come a point when I don’t want to be involved in hockey on a day-to-day basis. That’s why we were thinking about some kind of job in Canadiens public relations.”

Robinson’s most recent communication with the Canadiens came last Friday when after a couple of days of phone-tag, Bergevin finally reached him to explain the team’s direction. The call came as the team announced by news release the hiring of Daigneault.

“Marc told me they’d interviewed a couple of people, Michel liked his interview with J.J. and decided to go with him,” Robinson said. “I told him, ‘It’s a business, you have a job to do and that’s what you’re doing.’

“Marc just kind of explained what went down. He had talked to Donny, who’d mentioned others teams had interest (in me) and that we weren’t going to make a decision while I was trying to clean up in Florida. I suppose the Canadiens had to cover themselves in the event I didn’t sign with them. So they chose someone else.

“I wished Marc luck and thanked him for the opportunity – at least for the thought – and we left it there.”

And just like that, one more opportunity for Larry Robinson to rejoin the Canadiens had evaporated.

“It would have been interesting maybe to get back to Montreal,” he said. “But this is a business. There are decisions made by people. Things go on in everyday life as far and business and life. If you’re a person who takes everything to heart and has a chip on your shoulder, you’re going to be an awful miserable person.”

dstubbs@montrealgazette.com
Twitter: Dave_Stubbs

1. Mattyleg says:

Brodeur in NJ for 2 years, $9m.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Lafleurguy says:

Sorry to not have the self-restraint to not make a comment on societal issues on a thread about the incomparable Big Bird, one of my all-time favourites. Hate-mongers are a horrible blight on all societies, and we sadly have them among our posters. Some of them in Leaf Nation revealed themselves today. Many of them among Bruins fans revealed themselves with their “Hang the….” directed at Joel Ward after his game 7 OT goal. And the London thug revealed himself (C.M.) by throwing a banana at Wayne Simmonds during his pre-season shootout attempt. If hate were a renewable source of energy, this planet would live forever.

“May you live in interesting times.”

3. frontenac1 says:

Good post Hardhabits. Startin to get my buzz back again!Hola!

4. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m with those who would have liked to see Larry Robinson on the team’s coaching staff but it just didn’t work out. However, saying that because he was a better player somehow automatically makes him a better coach is downright silly and proves ignorance of hockey history.
    Looks like we’ve made some good moves to shore up what I see as not as bad a situation as last year’s finish indicates. We lost a lot of close games. We should be a lot tougher to play against and with our defence intact and with our prospects growing in experience will win more of those next season with an improved ability to hold a lead and a few lucky bounces that didn’t come our way. I believe we are a playoff team if not exactly a contender but then again who would have thought L.A. would be what they were. Go Habs!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think in Robinson’s case the argument is that he is a great NHL coach, with a proven track record, not that he is an ex-Hab. Very different than the Patirck Roy case, for example.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

5. Habilis says:

I saw on TSN that Radulov signed a KHL contract for 9.2mil a year. Can anyone explain to me how a KHL club can afford to overpay by that much? Do they view it as a “lost leader” or what? Don’t get me wrong, I think Rad is a floater and I’m almost glad that he won’t be stealing from an NHL club next season, but I’m curious as to how any team on the planet can justify giving him that much.

6. Bripro says:

This has to be old news by now.
    Jagr has tweeted that Habs are front runners for this year. I hope they intend on sending him to the ‘dogs.

7. Habfan10912 says:

Anybody hear any logic from Bettman in reducing Torres’s suspension. Its not like this dangerous cheap shot artist thug hasn’t done this before or is likely to do again. Maybe it was ruled a hockey play? Disgusting.

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Would be enlightening to hear the reasoning behind the decision, in the same manner that Shanahan would give a videotaped explanation for many of his decisions. The Phoenix franchise cannot withstand any negative publicity.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• D Mex says:

Based on comments he has made about his ‘ independent ‘ role in the appeal process, I’d be willing to bet he views this as a way to be perceived as walking the talk.
      You DO realize this is the Commissioner you’re talking about, don’t you ? (sarcasm intended)

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought that might be it too, positioning himself for when the topic comes up during Collective Bargaining.

“You see, there is a review and appeals process!”

• Habilis says:

Yeah that was a head-scratcher for me too. Seems to me like he’s undermining Shanny in this situation. I don’t get it.

Habs fans have lived with notoriously high expectations for years and for good reason. However, they were unrealistic expectations and inevitably put the team in the unenviable position of being a perennial middle of the pack club. From middle of the pack picks, to not being patient with prospects due to a lack of organizational depth, for having to trade picks for rentals because of the difficulty in signing quality free agents, to becoming impatient with prospects and letting them go for nothing. Worse still, my perception is that in the last 20 years many times the team’s place in the standings was better than they actually were, as they generally over-achieved in large part due to these lofty expectations. History can be a heavy burden.

Having plummeted to the depths of the standings a large psychological burden has been lifted. Now, building through the draft is not considered such a bad idea after all. With the new signings, the Habs have the opportunity to let the prospects develop their own identity, their own chemistry, together in the farm system while at the same time not ending up hamstrung with contracts that would limit the integration of the prospects when they are ready to step it up.

There is a realistic possibility that the Bulldogs could win a Calder Cup in the next two years or at the very least should be in the thick of it. On the major league team, there is the opportunity to build a solid culture of toughness with skill, an esprit du corps, so that when the prospects come up they will feel secure in the much more difficult to play in NHL environment.

Young people today are different than they were 25-50 years ago. Our generation has an extended youth on one hand and an earlier exposure to information and knowledge on the other. That is one of the confidence inspiring aspects of Bergevin and company putting in place a mentoring and monitoring program for the prospects.

I am not planning the parade just yet, rather feel that my interest has been rekindled anew in the Habs as I see them making moves in adjustment with the modern era and are seeming to have let go of the stodgy and uninspired pattern that relegated them to the stuff of legends riding on the coattails of days of lore.

It is better to lower expectations and exceed them than it is to raise them and fall short. However, one must set lofty goals and set the bar higher. If you aim for 5 you might make it, but if you aim for 7, even if you don’t make it to 7 you could at the very least hit 6.

“The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” – Michelangelo

• Boomer says:

” It is better to lower expectations and exceed them than it is to raise them and fall short.” My philosophy in life…

All jokes aside, nice post man.

Occupation: Professional Hedonist…aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)

• RGM says:

Jean Chretien, is that you?

———————–
        GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• habs_54321 says:

i feel this year will be a transition year i dont expect great results i feel this year will be about building an identity and we’ve added some good character players to help with that, if we finish at the bottom of the pack again this year it wont be all that bad to have a chance at drafting a guy like nathan mckinnon or seth jones, or even ryan pulock and sean monahan look like they will all be great players

• Thomas Le Fan says:

We have met the enemy and he is us. Doomed to mediocrity due to high expectations arising from an embarassment of riches (past success). I’ve said the same things myself many times. Failure is the road to success in the (new) NHL as it often is in life. Constantly trying to win and expecting a cup with mediocre teams has led us nowhere but mediocrity.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed HH. Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin have made their mission statement openly, everyone bought in, so now they can work to that goal without day-to-day considerations overtaking them.

9. Bripro says:

Dustin Penner stays in L.A……pity.

10. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,Geoff,the Molson lad. I’m still dreaming amigo

11. ed lopaz says:

many here know how big a Subban fan I am; I think he has the most “pure” talent I have seen wearing a Habs jersey for a long time.

I watched Chris Chelios practice alone at Verdun Auditorium during the offseason prior to his 2nd full season, and he left a great impression on me.

ALONE!

Chelios. A few pucks. Skating the ice, shooting, stickhandling.

ALONE!

This is the year for my man Subban to pick up that Chelios work ethic that made Chelios a true professional.

Subban has all the tools; but he needs practice.

He needs to spend several hours, dozens of hours, firing pucks ON THE NET!!

His shot must find the net this year; he must learn that the BEST at his position practice that skill, and therefore deserve the success when their shots make it through the traffic and hit the net.

And Subban needs to refine his attitude as well, now that the Head Coach and d-coach have been changed.

Total respect PK!!

Talk to your coaches before the season, before games, and after games, and understand WHAT EXACTLY THEY EXPECT from you.

Then go out there and EXECUTE the coach’s plan.

Now that we have a set of new coaches, and this is a new season,

it is time for Subban to become a leader by example.

Practice your skills PK – and follow your coach’s instructions to the tee.

Subban can be a difference maker, and I know that with some guidance he can help us win #25.

12. Sir.Plekers says:

Why does everyone think DD should be our #1 center when Plekzz is better?

SIR PLEKERS

Dreger says Anaheim wants a package for Bobby Ryan that includes 2nd line center. Hmmmmm

14. naweed235 says:

Goddamn it get us Bobby Ryan already… If they indeed need a young 2nd line center a D-man and a prospect for him I think MB can somehow pull one out of the hat advertising Eller as a 2nd C and including Kaberle and even Beaulieu….
    All jokes aside any team that gets B Ryan will be pleasantly surprised… He is one of the most under rated players in the league… I think he is much more talented than the likes of Parise and James Neal…
    Plus the chemistry he showed with Max Pac in the World Championships a couple of months ago was extraordinary …
    He is definitely the type of player I would sell the farm for…

15. frontenac1 says:

I dunno bout Jager.I know some say he would have good chemistry with Pleks and complete the second line with Gio. Just something wrong about the lally gagging with the signing again.I can”t remember him being a standout in the playoffs this year either.

• Hobie Hansen says:

He was finished by the time the playoffs rolled around. If he came to Montreal he wouldn’t be able to dress for every game and he can’t compete playing playoff hockey anymore.

People mention him being a mentor. Do we have a young Czech, Jagr prototype that could take notice of him, no. Would Tinordi, Beaulieu or Galchenyuk have any interest in listening to him speak broken English, I doubt it.

The guy is done.

• ed lopaz says:

Hobey, I get your point about him being old, but if you think the young guys on our team would not listen to Jagr you are mistaken.

jagr is one of the great hockey players in the world these last 20 years.

period.

• Hobie Hansen says:

He is a sight to see for sure. He leads by example, not by giving locker room speeches.

Unfortunately, Louis LeBlanc is a better hockey player than he is now.

• mksness says:

did louis leblanc have more than 54 points last year?

• D Mex says:

A young player would not have to be a Jagr prototype in order to learn from him, or from any other seasoned pro for that matter.
            He would simply require the desire to improve.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Boomer says:

yea it looked like he was gassed out when the tempo picked up in the playoffs

Occupation: Professional Hedonist

• vegas says:

If Jagr comes to MOntreal, Gionta would end up on the third line with Eller. Jagr plays the right wing

Probably something like
      Max/ dd / Cole
      Bourque / Pleks / Jagr
      Prustt-Moen / Eller / Gionta
      Prustt-Moen / White / Armstrong

So Bettman has decided to reduce suspension of Raffe Torres by 4 games. Perhaps he could reconsider the lack of suspension on Chara now.

Talk about chopping Shanahan out at the knees by changing the discipline handed out.

We still MB? Therein, daignault, Armstrong, no Robinson when he was actually interested. This is going another useless reign.

18. habstrinifan says:

My freakin evil side wants Burke to sign Robinson. Just until I cool down though.

And mark my words. Gallant would be gone before the year is out.

Say hello to Capt Bouillion.

19. newbrunswick troy says:

newbrunswick troy

i,ve been kind of excited by the signings and re-signings, but then just looked at what potential lines will be….. and i,m very scared that there will be not very much scoring punch unless ….
    1. pacs-dd-cole have another banner year???
    2. plecs bounces back in a big way???
    3. bourque turns out to be the player everybody thinks he is???
    4. our 3rd and 4th lines start scoring in droves????
    5. Gomez …oh my god ?????
    anyway our defence looks good, but i,m scared to say we don,t have a 30 plus goal scorer , and maybe only 2 or three at the most with 20 or better????

• Boomer says:

Barring injuries,
      Gio should have atleast 25, he’s been productive since he arrived (besides last season with the torn bicep)
      Patches and Cole have a good shot at repeating last years performance.
      Wild card is Bourque, the guy’s got skill when he’s in the zone he just needs to get his head in the game.
      I think with moen, the addition of Prust and Lars Eller’s continued development, Pleks might not have such a defensive load to carry on his shoulders meaning he might have a more productive year offensively.
      It’ll be interesting to see if we sign Jagr aswell.

Occupation: Professional Hedonist

20. hockeyscout101 says:

Imagine if the Habs ever got Steve Ott (Yes they do have interest in Ott), then you can put Moen-Ott-Armstrong as your 3rd line. That would be the pest line. I truly feel Lars Eller is tradeable and you can probably get an Ott for him (with other players with Eller of course).

• Good Habit says:

Ott for Eller? Is that a joke? Eller is developing into a solid two way centre that has the potential to be a serious offensive threat. We already picked up enough muscle yesterday. What we need to do now is look at a top 6 forward. I hate Ott and I would never want him on my team.

• hockeyscout101 says:

There are questions about Eller’s progression, attitude and if he will adapt to a system that Therrien wants to enact. Why hasn’t he signed yet? I hear he wants more than the Canadiens are offering, he would and should have been signed by now. I am not sold on him yet, but I hope he proves me wrong, he is replaceable.

• D Mex says:

Questions about Ellers attitude ? Ridiculous.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• TorontoHabsFan says:

There are questions about Eller’s progression? I don’t remember hearing that…who was saying/writing that?

RFAs without arbitration rights often take longer to sign both because there’s little reason to rush negotiations and stretching out the process is about the only leverage the player has.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Bullshit. You made all of that up

• Bill H says:

I read it on the internet. It must be true. LOL

Now that I think of it, Price and PK are not signed yet. I think they must have an attitude problem. There, I said it on the internet…it must be true. Trade PK and Price. They are bad in the room. Bad attitude will spread to others.

21. hockeyscout101 says:

Well let’s assume Bourque is traded (who I think many of us would agree with) it will be something like this:

Cole-DD-Patches
    Gio-Pleks-Jagr
    Moen-Eller-Armstrong
    Prust-White-?? Prust can play Centre as well, and White can play RW as well. So I still feel you can use Noke as the 13th forward since he plays all 3 forward positions and you can use him against skilled teams when no toughness is needed. But I still think there will be another depth guy coming for our forward lines. I still like that heavyweight guy for the dettereant.

22. frontenac1 says:

No Big Bird in Montreal. The dream is over (for now)amigos. He will be back,Geoff will see to it.

23. hockeyscout101 says:

Hey I think I should pass this on to all the fans on here. This is from one of Eklund’s bloggers so take it for what it is worth. According to a source, Bergevin offered Price for Kane straight up. Now I guess Tom was right that Bergevin wanted Kane! Anyways as I said take that for what it is worth since it is coming from Eklund’s site who I find annoying, but I did read that blog and that rumour.

• Boomer says:

That trade wouldn’t make much sense, we’d have no one in net…

If we we’re in LA or Vancouver’s situation where we had 2 starting goalies that would make sense.

Occupation: Professional Hedonist

• Bill J says:

I recommend following Darren Dreger on twitter. He just called Eklund out. 34 minutes after Eklund claimed Van Riemsdyk is the missing piece for the Leafs to land Nash.

If you’re still following Eklund, unfollow. Bad for the brain cells to read his stuff.

Edit: my bad, partially your post was based on a hockey buzz blogger, and not Eklund directly. Regardless… My suggestion still stands.

• mrhabby says:

Mb stated flat out that price was one of the cornerstones of the team….then to offer price for Kane..what a joke, complete bs.

24. Boomer says:

sounds pretty decent to me, Nokes as a 13 th forward, and Therrien could always alternate between Moen/Prust and Armstrong for 3rd line LW.
    maybe even:
    Bourque Pleks Gio
    Moen Eller Jagr? (since jagr got a bit gassed last season maybe the 3rd line with less minutes would be better?)

Occupation: Professional Hedonist

25. naweed235 says:

So assuming Jagr signs here and we start the year with a healthy line up, who is the odd man out?

Cole – DD – Patches
    Gio – Pleks – Jagr
    Moen – Eller – Bourque
    Prust – White – Armstrong
    Nokia?

26. habstrinifan says:

My negotiation tactics re Jagr.

Jagr at 2 mill for 1 yr…. Sign that cheque Molson.

Jagr at 2-5 to 3mill for 1 yr.. let me think about it Jagr.. Review your complete performance 2011-2012 and the playoffs and what shape you in now.. regardless of what Pierre (who has a man crush) on you says.

Jagr at 4 mill for 1 yr! Go F yourself Jagr!

• habsnyc says:

Where does Jagr fit in the long term rebuilding of this franchise or does he just take ice time from a young player?

• Un Canadien errant says:

He plugs a significant hole in the roster while Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Louis Leblanc and Blake Geoffrion spend a year learning their craft in the AHL and OHL. So an important role.

• habsnyc says:

if Leblanc is not ready now, then he is never going to be a top six forward. if jagr plays top six then eller is relegated to the third line despite his offensive skill. if jagr plays top six then the team cannot trade for a young top six forward who will be with the organization for more than 70 games. i see the downside as greater than the upside. i’d rather leblanc or eller on second line or wait to trade for a younger player.

• habstrinifan says:

I wrote this before I read Stubbs Robinson piece. I f I had I would have said F yourself Jagr at line 1.

• Ian Cobb says:

This guy will throw the whole room out of whack! Bergevin has done well acquiring a new character room. He would never taint all the good work he has done by getting The Jagr!

For Summit tickets, News, Pictures and comments

HH–Looks good on you, your very positive position sir. Now if only we can get TIMO on the same page?

I agree with you, this is going to be a fun year for us. We may not bring a cup home, but we are going to see consistent good hockey for a change this year.
    See ya at the Summit! over a cold one my friend.

For Summit tickets, News, Pictures and comments

28. Bill says:

That crap about Brian Burke in the Pride Parade is some of the lowest ever. And even what DorvalTony said (and we’re all unfortunately used to that pathetic moron’s trolling) isn’t close to what has been said on Twitter. It’s sad and disgusting.

Brian Burke probably feels about as comfortable in a Pride Parade as a nun at a nude beach, because he’s your basic Irish grandfather, but he does it for his son’s memory.

Hockey is just a game, and your job is just your job. Family is more important, and any father on this site knows that his son comes before everything else. I’d do the same thing as Burke every time.

29. Les Habitants says:

From Dregers twitter page 25 mins ago

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger
    @drosennhl @IMadhavji. Jagr wants to play in Mtl, but other teams say he wants $4 mil for 1 year. May take some time.

I think Jagr is using the Habs as a bargaining chip agian.

• Ian Cobb says:

2.5mil, max, is all he is worth! Come the play offs, it is to quick for him now. He will be sucking wind big time on the 3rd line.!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, here we go again. Even before last year, I didn’t trust anything this guy had to say, then he jerked Pittsburgh around and landed in Philly.

Look for him to contract-tease the Canadiens for a few more days then sign in Pittsburgh for a couple hundred grand more, and once there hold a press conference explaining his undying love and fealty to the city of Pittsburgh.

If he says yes, I wouldn’t say no, for one year at a reasonable price (less than Josh Gorges), but I wouldn’t plan around this eventuality at all. If anything worthwhile comes along, Marc Bergevin should act on that rather than waiting for Mr. Jagr’s decision.

• Why wouldn’t we give him $4M to pot some goals, put a smile on Pleks’s face and teach the kids a thing or two for one year? It’s not like this is the year we’re going to blow a ton of cap space on big-name free agents to try to win it all. Unless we land Parise, Suter, etc., we can afford Jagr.

• SmartDog says:

I agree. The beauty of Jagr is:
        a. He doesn’t cost anything in trade.
        b. He only wants one year (this is key)
        c. He will bring some flair to our forward lines, as well as much needed goal scoring.

For 1 year I don’t see the down side. We overpaid for Prust, why can’t we overpay for one year of THE JAGR.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

30. hockeyscout101 says:

It is a given that Robinson will return the the Canadiens in some role down the road. Most likely as an ambassodor.

I must be the only one who is perpetually pleased with every single move that has been made since Bergevin was named GM.

Sucks to not be me.

32. Adidess says:

Edited and moved. By the time I finished playing with my niece and posted my draft comments on LR, many people had expressed similar views

• Bill J says:

Yup, you’re the only one.

He has repeatedly indicated he would love to return (as mentioned above) to the Habs. Bad timing, and bad communication in the past caused it to not happen.

Robinson is and will forever be, a truly classy person. He would not throw MB under the bus by saying anything more then he did…

• D Mex says:

Unfortunately, the article appears to support your theory :
      “It didn’t bother me, (a Montreal job was) nothing I was thinking about.”

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Bill J says:

He meant it as saying he’s not going to act like DorvalTony. And throw a tantrum because he didn’t get the job. He also clearly implied he had other things on his mind…

At least that’s what I took from the interview.

33. Bun E. Laroque says:

Would have been nice to have Robinson mentoring our up and coming D but the idea of him working with Therrien seems completely implausible. Give Daigneault a chance. Comparing J.J. as a player to L.R. is unfair and doesn’t necessarily speak to one’s coaching ability. Like it or not, Therrien is the man for now and he is assembling a group of people that he can work with.

• habstrinifan says:

I gotta go with your take. But I am just a little nervous that Therrien is gonna coach by dividing the room.

I hope not. If he does it wil be bad. Cause we dont have a Crosby/Malkin whose toes he would be afraid to step on.

Oh well I hope I am 100% wrong in my fears.

34. Habs1996 says:

habsync…
    first of all its 15th place and not 14th
    second of all our top line are doing ok . especially Max Pac-DD-Cole
    We just need to find a LW for our second line
    Finally
    they are changing the bottom six to add some grit.we also need those bottom six to score some extra goals
    How many time did the habs lose by 1 single goal?

35. D Mex says:

nhl.com ticker tape reports that Radulov is returning to the KHL.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

36. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Favorite Signing. Which is your favorite signing in the last week: Prust, Emelin, Cube, Armstrong?
    2. Prust. Good gritty signing or too much money and term for a forward who doesn’t score and while tough is only 6′ tall?
    3. Still to Come? What if anything do you think is still to come?
    4. Trade or no? If you were the GM would you be open to a blockbuster trade to bring in a Semin-type player… or stand pat for this year.
    5. Robinson. Big mistake or no big deal? (And if he were French would he at least have had an interview?)
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

1. Emelin, favourite UFA signing is Prust.
      2. Good signing, slightly overpaid, but I would rather overpay for a character guy who doesn’t take shifts off than a floater.
      3. Either via trade or UFA a more skilled forward will be added, not blockbuster, but some skilled forward.
      4. Only way a big blockbuster should occur is if it includes Gomez leaving. Until that contract is dealt with and prospects begin arriving(Tinordi etc..) we aren’t winning cup, just taking steps toward it.
      5. I read the whole article, the question is answered in the article. They had to move and hire someone, MT really liked JJ. Simple as that, no hidden agenda.

• punkster says:

You, like me, actually read the Big Bird article. No hidden agenda.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• SmartDog says:

I read it all too. My point was that Robinson is a helluva guy – player AND coach (not to mention ambassador) – and as good as JJD might be, some people might still think they missed the boat here, and it could be argued. That’s all. Nothing in the article could change that viewpoint. Personally I’m just glad we HAVE a defensive coach for Pete’s sake.
          ————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• 1. Prust!

2. Great signing. Sure he makes $500k or $700k more than maybe he should. But there’s no sense quibbling about $700k with a $70M salary cap (1%), and for what it’s worth, my gut says he’s going to make a real impact this year.

3. I’d bet a beer that MB is at least trying to round out the top six.

4. We’ve got cap space, so we can give up lots of cash to pull in a Doan or a Jagr. But in this rebuilding phase, I wouldn’t give up the prospects it would take to land a top-line guy via trade.

5. Not much to say here, except that we’re not in a position to know — and that if people were only ever hired on credentials and experience, the same 2% of applicants would get every job.

• habfanacrossthed says:

1) Emelin/Prust (UFA)
        2) Paid a little more to add the sand paper type player in Prust. Many were saying the same thing with Erik Cole.
        3) MB will pick up his top 6 forward. MB is figuring what to do with 3 players (Gomez, Bourque, Kaberle).
        4) I’m ok for a blockbuster trade if you eliminate 2 or all 3 of the above mentioned. (Kovalchuk)
        5) We can speculate all we want, truth be told it is up to MT. I feel in a sense, MT didn’t want to be second guessed or threatened by his directions for the team by LR. NOT that Larry would do that.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Ozmodiar says:

1. Prust
      2. No. Maybe we don’t get him @ 2M/. Would you feel better with an extra 2.5M in cap space and Prust wearing a Leafs uni next year?
      3. If they sign Jagr:
      trade Bourque + mid-level pick for Ott
      If they don’t sign Jagr:
      trade Bourque + 2nd rd pick for Morrow
      4. see above
      5. nbd

• habsnyc says:

Emelin – rebuilding teams get younger not older.
      Silly signing – giving long term deals to marginal players hampers the ability to pounce on a young player with a big contract
      still to come – not clear hopefully roster spots open for young players so this team can rebuild.
      trade – stand pat until the orgnazation hires a more skilled and patient Francophone coach and figures out what it really needs
      Robinson – big mistake to not welcome him into the fold, however, Daigneault is a fantastic signing. the organization can use both of them in different capacities.

• SmartDog says:

I like these answers. I don’t entirely agree, but I like ‘em.

And I share some concerns about Prust. I don’t know him well though, if he helps our PK stay in the top 2 or 3 of the league and gives Pleks more time to play offense, then I’m good with it. But a) I wish we had a BIG guy to go up against other team’s ass-oles, and b) 2.5 mil for “sandpaper” and a “team guy” to me is too much. Moen is both of those and scores more goals. But I hope I’m wrong and it seems I probably am.. everyone seems to think this guy is worth it and when it comes to hard workers they usually are.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habstrinifan says:

I am gonna only answer 3. Sign a L shooting big mean D UFA.

5. Dont want to wreck my day thinking of the whys/wherefores/what ifs .. I’ll just let it rest.

37. Habs1996 says:

Did habs make an offer sheet to Jagr?

38. CF says:

I don’t know about this decision. It stinks. It smells of control from Therrien.
    Answer this, “What the hell is JJ Daigneault going to teach PK?!”
    I mean come on, the guy was a sixth D man, maybe fifth.
    Oh but wait, he speaks french.
    Bad choice, especially with the young guns coming up like Tinordi and Beaulieu.

• D Mex says:

Therrien was empowered by MB to select his coaching staff.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Bill J says:

Consider what JJ did for the young D in NYR, may help answer your question.

• Chris says:

By this logic, Scotty Bowman had nothing to teach Guy Lafleur, Jacques Lemaire or Steve Shutt.

Glen Sather had nothing to teach Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, or Glenn Anderson.

Mike Babcock has nothing to teach Henrik Zetterberg or Pavel Datsyuk.

Being a good player doesn’t necessarily tranlsate to being a good coach. It certainly isn’t a requirement.

• If playing ability were an indicator of coaching ability, Gretzky would have been a great coach.

• RJ says:

JJ was single-handedly credited with turning Ryan McDonagh into the player he has become — after our folks said he would never be NHL ready. A player does not have to be a superstar in his playing days to be a GREAT coach.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

39. ProHabs says:

I’m tired of Robinson playing games with the Habs. If he really wanted to be here, he would be. He doesn\t want the stress or pressure so he should stop talking like he wants to be here just to make him look good and the organization look bad.

• Dave Stubbs says:

You have no conceivable idea how wrong you are.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
      • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Un Canadien errant says:

As much as I want Larry back, there is a coyness there, like the girl who’s playing hard to get, that is offputting a little. In all honesty though, I resigned myself to the fact that he wouldn’t be our D coach as soon as Michel Therrien was hired. Larry would have been a good fit with Patrick Roy, and an invaluable asset in providing NHL bench experience and scouting, as well as providing a bit of a reality check if the younger head coach was about to make an impulsive decision. On Mr. Therrien’s staff, the fit and relationship seemed that it wouldn’t work on first inspection.

• SmartDog says:

Yeah, a classy calm guy like that doesn’t fit with loose cannon Therrien. Unless you figure that Therrien could use that influence on his staff from someone who’s been there and done it all.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Adidess says:

I agree. Though the great Larry Robinson sounds like he was interested, i read this and got the feeling he wasn’t really in a hurry to follow up with Habs management.

I understand the worries around the Hurricanes, impact of damages, and how that may have messed things up, but why couldn’t LR request a delay of a few days (phone or email), arrange for a video-conf call if I couldn’t travel north, or something?

I didn’t get the sense that he expressed the level of interest that would have warranted halting the process of hiring an assistant until he’s free. His interview conveys a sense of opportunity lost, but it didn’t look like he made it crystal clear in his initial conversation with MB that Montreal had any kind advantage over other potential suitors.

Having read this, I undertand why management felt like it wasn’t worth missing their internal deadlines to hire an assistant for the D and start working.

——————————————–
        A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

• habstrinifan says:

So suddenly Larry’s disingenuous. And MT is irreproachable!

Wait till you put Jagr and MT together these two TITANS of irreproachability. Or is it unapproachability!

• habsnyc says:

Robinson does not play games. And the organization does not need his help to look bad, it has succeeded at that beyond our wildest expectations.

40. durocher says:

As of now, the team looks like this:

Patches-DD-Cole
    Bourque-Pleks-Gio
    Moen-Eller-Prust
    Armstrong-Nokia-White

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube-Diaz/Weber

In my view, we should look for improvements at Bourque’s slot and at the Diaz/Weber slot. What are the options for Bourque’s position?
    - Ott
    - Morrow
    - Dubinsky
    - Umberger
    - others?
    These are all character guys who are apparently “available”

For the Diaz/Weber position?
    - Peckham
    - Smid
    - David Savard
    - others?

I would give Dumont a shot on the 4th line, and St-Denis a shot as our #7

• habsnyc says:

You don’t go from 14th place in the conference to first place by swapping out the bottom five on the roster. You bide your time and improve the top eight positions as opportunities arise.

41. Un Canadien errant says:

Guys, we can dispute some of the decisions made by Marc Bergevin, but can we at least not fan the flames of linguistic intolerance?

When Marc Bergevin hired Rick Dudley and Scott Mellanby there were grumblings on RDS and Le Journal that he was hiring outsiders, ‘des gars pas de chez nous’ in his management team, never mind that Quebecer Larry Carrière was a member of the staff, Trevor Timmins wasalready in place, and that Mr. Mellanby was born and raised in Montréal.

Now people on HIO are whining that we’ve hired less than qualified ‘french-only’ candidates on the coaching staff here and in Hamilton, never mind that their coaching résumés show they’ve paid their dues and have achieved in their prior roles, and that Gerard Gallant is a unilingual anglophone from PEI and that Ron Wilson was retained for the staff of the Bulldogs.

Can we agree that Marc Bergevin has put together a staff from a wide-ranging background and many different organizations, from different leagues (NHL, AHL, LHJMQ), he’s added to the scouting staff and empowered Trevor Timmins, and he’s primed the pump by adding local boys in entry-level management positions (Claude Lapointe, Patrice Bergeron) to prepare a succession plan for a few years down the road?

• HardHabits says:

That would be too level headed and logical and doesn’t speak to people’s preconceived notions and prejudices enough.

Fortunately among the cacophony there are still some lucid ideas bandying about.

• habsnyc says:

Pontifications aside. There was an uproar when an Anglo coach was hired. The upoar was orders of magnitude greater than when the team nosedived and missed the playoffs. Let’s put that back in perspective the bigger issue was not if the team was winning but what language the coach spoke. That is the backdrop for everything.

42. Les Habitants says:

J J Daigneault over Larry Robinson?!!!!

Thats it, fire Therrien!, AGAIN!!

43. wall2bay says:

In their playing days JJ and Breezy couldn’t carry Robinson’s jock strap…..it’s a joke to think these guys got picked over Larry! Let’s face it, there are 2 explanations 1) MT would be too intimidated and would see Robinson as a threar and 2) Robinsin is not qualified to be on AC thus a huge knock on him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

2) This falls flat. Larry Robinson speaks French as well as Bob Gainey or Ken Dryden do.

• ZepFan2 says:

Read the whole story, not parts.

———————————————————————-
      “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• D Mex says:

Here’s another cut & paste from the article :
        “It didn’t bother me, (a Montreal job was) nothing I was thinking about.”

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

44. ths says:

Robinson or Chara ? No contest.
    Have you ever seen Chara skate through the whole team and pot one ?
    No me neither

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

45. HabFanSince72 says:

Larry Robinson:

Conn Smythe winner, hall of famer, cup winner as asst. coach and head coach, Anglo.

JJ Daigneault:

Asst. coach of the AHL Podunk Nobodies, Franco.

Why anyone thinks there was a debate is beyond me.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• I’ll grant you, the decision seems odd. But when you hire someone, you don’t do it solely on the basis of his CV — you look him in the eyes, get a feel for what he brings, determine how well you can work with him, and then make a decision accordingly.

I’m not saying Daigneault was necessarily the right move, and I’m inclined to agree that Robinson would have been better, but with a position that includes as many intangibles as a coaching job, it’s just awfully hard to say.

• habsnyc says:

As I posted below, one has to scratch their head to wonder why this organization made Brisebois a priority over Robinson. I have no problem with stockpiling Francophone or bilingual management, it will make it much easier to hire the next coach from within. That is great planning. Daigneault fits the profile and is a welcome addition to the organization.

However, Robinson could instill a level of discipline, professionalism and class that has been profoundly lacking in recent years. Plus, Robinson can better help the players cope with the pressures of playing in Montreal.

• ZepFan2 says:

Somehow I highly doubt Robinson would have taken a job with Hamilton like Brisebois has.

I’m also positive if he had we’d be more pissed about that.

———————————————————————-
        “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• habsnyc says:

No, a job was invented to bring Brisebois to the organization. Invent a job for Robinson.

• ZepFan2 says:

Yes, a job was invented for…Brisebois in …Hamilton with the…Bulldogs!!

Isn’t this what you wrote: “this organization made Brisebois a priority over Robinson.”

That’s what I was replying to.

———————————————————————-
            “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• habsnyc says:

It sounds like we are arguing semantics. Brisebois is working for the Habs in a made up for him position. Robinson should be working for the Habs in a position custom tailored for his vast experience and abilities. That is my point.

• mr92243 says:

Your comment was politically inflammatory, offensive, and completely on target. I’ve been having the same thoughts for weeks now and I don’t think that we are alone. There is no such thing as reverse discrimination…. discrimination is discrimination… period. I don’t care if members of the coaching and management staff speak Dutch, Italian, or Spanish; if they’re going to make the hockey club better, you hire the best candidates available and NOT the best French candidate available. They can take their Provincial politics and shove them up next to that $600 deposit.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s understandable to be frustrated, I know I am, but the language angle probably doesn’t apply here. Larry’s years in Montréal buy him a lot of popular good will, and he speaks good enough French to get by on RDS.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
      June 2627: Mathieu Darche
      June 26: Ryan White
      June 30: Alexei Emelin
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 5: Carey Price
      July 9: P.K. Subban

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I’m with you on this one, CE, all the people grumbling about language are being a tad paranoid, and not much better than all those headless chickens in the French media. How can a chicken sqwack without a head? Well I just stare in fascination….

• SmartDog says:

That about sums it up. The re-francization of the Habs has begun.

I’m okay with that if it means a cup, but not turning down an incredible asset like Robinson seems like an obvious step in the wrong direction.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

46. wildwilly says:

I still remember watching a game at the Forum as a kid and Larry Robinson grabbed an opposing player, pulled his jersey over his head, and smacked the guy repeatedly as he dragged him skating backwards across the ice. It was the first time my blood went cold because I thought he’d beat the player senseless. I later saw him in McDonalds, held up a napkin and a pen, and he silently signed it. He was a legend. I think Chara is the only comparable modern figure, and I think Robinson is in a class by himself as a gentleman.

47. neutral says:

You can knock Semin all you want. He can play left wing/right wing and he’s among the most talented players in the entire NHL. I say get rid of Gomez and Karberle bring him onboard. we would have a top six and a good bottom six till the young guys are ready in Hamilton.
    Semin has a better record than Parise and I bet you’d take him.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I contend that he’d thrive under the bright Bell Center lights. Not playing second fiddle and soaking in the atmosphere strikes me as being the push he’d need.

______________________________________________________
      Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

• boing007 says:

Good idea. Send Gomez and Kaberle, plus whomever, to the Caps. Sign Semin here.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

48. ed lopaz says:

Radulov signs for 4 years 36 million – for Moscow of the KHL.

Got to think that Semin is next.

FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT TO MISS A FANTASTIC WEEKEND!

2012 HIO Fan Summit Game Tickets. As many as you want! But you have to act now!

Oct. 27th against Koivu and his Ducks.
    Total Summit Weekend Itinerary to follow.

I have been given as many tickets as we need for a very short time limit. But I must pay for them ASAP.
    So this is the procedure to follow! Two prices, the first 56 seats are together.
    And the rest will be scattered in groups of 1 to 5. Both prices.

IMPORTANT!
    Do not order or send your information to me, other than by sending me a money order with a self addressed envelope and stamp on it, to send your tickets back to you.

(international money order works best from U.S., Courier also works well.

Two levels of seats, two prices. $90ea. and $110ea.
    This includes game ticket, Hall of Fame Tour ticket and one ticket for the draw at the Montreal Canadiens Children’s charity Foundation Raffle.

All orders must come to me in the form of a money order (only, not a check) with a (self addressed envelope and stamp) so I can mail your tickets back to you.
    We only have a short window for this deal so get your money orders to me ASAP. Cut off date for this deal, is coming up.

Everyone is welcome, but we ask that you attend the Pre Game dinner and participate bringing a gift to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Charity Raffle.

Send to Ian Cobb
    63 Village Dr.
    Belleville Ontario, Canada.
    K8P 4K2
    For Summit tickets, News, Pictures and comments

50. The Dude says:

You know the shitty thing bout all of this is this is a NEW LOW for Monday MORNINGS! Thanks for Nothing!

51. frontenac1 says:

Still rumours out there about Marc talking with Jagers people and also another D man. Thoughts Amigos?

• habsnyc says:

What does the team want to accomplish this year? Is it more important to get back to 8th place or is it more important to develop young talent? A good rule of thumb is a rebuilding team needs to get younger not older. I do not know what Bergevin is trying to accomplish this season. But I am hopeful the plan involves giving key ice time to young talent and trading away older talent at the deadline.

If Molson demands the team make the playoffs then perhaps they should sign Jagr. But I do not know what the mandate is.

• wjc says:

Radio, T.V. and Internet rumors….I mean what are they worth?

wjc

WOnder how desperate Rangers will be to get Nash. Also there may be some need for sit down between Mgmt/Coach and Gaborik. Torterella seemed to call out Gaborik during the last round of playoffs despite the fact Gaborik was playing with shoulder injury (Seperated I believe?).

Seems to me the Rangers may end up somewhat caving on this trade.

52. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Don’t know how old this news is, but I’m pleased Brodeur is staying in NJ.

• habsnyc says:

I agree. It was also nice to see that the organization offered him two years. Brodeur was incredibly loyal to the Devils, signing with them for just over $5 million a season in 2006 when he was worth $7-$8 million easily.

53. boing007 says:

Maybe Larry will reconsider in a few years when all the younguns hit The Big Show.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

54. frontenac1 says:

Brian Burke is a blowhard and makes some pretty wacky decisions,but the man has Character and Guts.I respect him for that.

• New says:

Being loud doesn’t make you right, but it doesn’t make you wrong either. Burke has a job and a life. Because of his job his life and his son’s come into public view. Tragedy occurs and Burke has to deal with it. He took a couple hours off to deal with it and gets ripped.

That says absolutely nothing about Burke other than he is working through his life but it says a whole lot about the folks who slam him for it. They don’t have one.

• wjc says:

Blowhard=speaks his mind, entertaining, not dull

Wacky decisions= wacky is sometimes the description to decisions you do not understand.

So you think he is a wacky, blowhard that has character and guts.

Only on the H.O boards…you say.

wjc

55. habsnyc says:

Robinson For the Defense is required reading for fans of this team. Robinson understands hockey and hockey players. He knows an order of magnitude more about hockey and winning than anyone currently coaching or managing in this organization. Passing on the opportunity to benefit from his passion, skill, wisdom and expertise is a sign of weakness, stupidity and fear. A rational person would never pass up on a guy like Robinson.

• habsavvy says:

yes Therien is irrational.
      by mid December therrien will be fired AGAIN for his tantrums.

• wjc says:

Aw yes, your enthusiasm is contagious….Go Habs go.

Throw away…Kabrele, Bourque, Gomez…..fire the coach. Without Robinson all is lost……Lots of teams have won without Robinson.

He would start out a hero…..but god help him if the defense falters, he would then start to become a bum.

Robinson knows this.
        wjc

• habsnyc says:

I don’t know much about lots of teams. I know that Montreal was a better organization when Robinson played. I know that he was admired and respected by everyone in hockey. I think it is presumptious to suggest that Robinson is afraid to coach in Montreal for fear it will ruin his reputation.

I take issue with your assertion and suggest you provide evidence for it or retract it. Intimating that Robinson is afraid to coach in Montreal is easily contradicted by the ample evidence of his representatives reaching out to the organization on many occaisions.

• wjc says:

Robinson played in another era….do you remember his team mates Savard, Lapointe, Richard, lafluer, shutt, Dryden, Lemaire, Mahovalich Pete and Frank.

He was boo’ed in Montreal at times. He left on his own to play his career out in L.A. Savard, Lapointe, Lemaire Richard, Cournyonia were never drafted…they were part of the Canadiens stock pile.

Redmond was never drafted either, he was part of Montreal’s stock pile and traded for Frank Mahovalich.

You cannot build teams like that anymore, everyone is drafted.

wjc

• habsnyc says:

I remember his teammates. You changed the subject to nostaligia and were remiss in not providing evidence of your assertion.

56. Miltie01 says:

Nowhere in that interview did I read Larry saying he definately would have taken the job…..He and his agent actually stated to the Habs other offers were in consideration. Does Therrien risk losing JJ in the hopes Larry says yes ? I would have loved to have Larry back home, but understand totally why they went with JJ. Sometimes in life tough decisions need to be made.

• habsnyc says:

No, Molson reaches out to Robinson personally and explains to him why the organization needs his presence.

• wjc says:

Instead of playing phone tag, he could have been in Montreal in 3 hours if it was important to him. Then flew to Florida.

wjc

57. HabinTheCuse says:

Great perspective on what could have been with Larry. Glad to see the effort was made and that a follow up phone call by Marc took place after JJ was brought into the fold. Agree with most that we need to look ahead with what we have in place. There is hope once again in HABS-Land…..

58. Chris says:

Hey, I like Larry Robinson as much as the next guy.

But how about we let Jean-Jacques Daigneault show what he can do? Robinson has been a very successful coach and I think he could have taught the kids a lot.

But Daigneault appears to be one of the up-and-coming bright coaches in the NHL. If he fits what Therrien is trying to set up, then I have no problem with the hire. Clearly Therrien was blown away and the team didn’t want to pass on a chance to get Daigneault.

• Dave Stubbs says:

Agreed entirely about Daigneault. Let’s see what he can do as part of a new coaching staff and with some promising defencemen. He’s not working in the shadow of anyone.

That said, I’d love to see Larry back in the fold in some capacity. Just having a legend of his status in the building has a positive rub on rookies and veterans alike, and surely can’t hurt the club in the community.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
      • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Bill J says:

Please suggest/hint/question Molson on this topic ASAP! Ie ambassador role.

• Chris says:

Dave, I whole-heartedly agree. I wonder if he were still willing to finish out his career as a team ambassador and consultant for the team. Larry Robinson should be brought back into the fold in some capacity.

I’m just a little wary that fans are going to give Daigneault too short a leash to be an effective coach.

• habsnyc says:

No question Daigneault did well in Hartford and the organization continues to stockpile Francophones to replace Therrien. But, what Daigneault did in the AHL, Robinson did better in the NHL.

An organization that has room for Brisebois but not for Robinson strikes me as afraid to hire the best.

• wjc says:

Robinson has been at this, a lot longer the Daigneault.

So they hired Therien to fire him. Brisebois’s job is much different then working the bench. I doubt Larry Robinson would have wanted that job.

wjc

• habsnyc says:

Yes, Therrien was hired to be fired. He is keeping the seat warm for someone who does not take bench penalties that sink a team in the playoffs. He is not a long term solution.

Robinson could have been hired as a consultant to spend a few days a year with the prospects, watch from the booth and make recommendations. Brisebois’ job was invented for him. They did not have the foresight to invent a job for Robinson.

• wjc says:

The past is the past…..have you ever fcked up….probably not! Geez Brisebois can never do anything right in your eyes…..pfffff to you.

wjc

59. JUST ME says:

Darn ! He would have been the perfect man for the situation here. Our youngsters on defense really need coaching. J.J. will do the job i`m sure but Big Bird and Mtl is a perfect match.

Obviously another situation where decision had to be taken and where timing was everything. Nobody is to blame,it was probably not meant to be.

Let`s hope he gets a p.r. and advisor job with the Habs cause we sure could benefit from his point of view.

60. Un Canadien errant says:

It bugs me that my coaching dream team of Patrick Roy, with assistants Guy Carbonneau and Larry Robinson was only too possible, so achievable.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    June 30: Alexei Emelin
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

Hilarious!!! HH here impersonating Dave Stubbs.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

62. New says:

That is a great column and why Big Bird can’t be a head coach and probably not an assistant in Montreal. Skilled beyond most he can’t juggle a few disasters. He can handle each one but together they become overwhelming.

Luv the player, the coach, and the guy but bringing him to Montreal would put him in his grave.

63. Had to stop reading one paragraph into it. Just makes me too mad.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

64. DorvalTony says:

BRING. LARRY. BACK.

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

65. Rad says:

Too bad we missed out on the great Larry Robinson, one of the top 3 defencemen to ever play the game. Our loss.

66. commandant says:

Now normally I’m the first guy to jump on Brian Burke, but the criticism he’s taken today is completely unfair. Check Damien Cox’s twitter feed to see some of the disgusting things said about him by Leaf fans on twitter for the fact he marched in the gay pride parade.

So for one day only… in defence of Brian Burke.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• twilighthours says:

Burke should be commended for all of his efforts. It’s important for prominent figures in the sporting world to be doing what he’s doing.

• DorvalTony says:

An American, proselytizing for homosexuality because his American homosexual son was killed in the United States in a traffic accident, using his position and notoriety, smacks of arrogance and American ego. Reminds me of young JFK, the Tides Foundation etc throwing their weight around in Canada. Yankee go home. March in the San Francisco parade.

• HabFab says:

Good read, not a fan of his either but fair is fair. Although I think some blinders are coming off in Leafnation.

• christophor says:

Your comment makes it sound like this is coming from Cox, not that he’s retweeting things he disagrees with.

Also, many of these comments are just saying that on the most important day of your job, you have to be on the job. After two poor showings in a row on July 1st, I understand why some in their fanbase wonder why, of all days, Burke takes this one off. Of course, I think the terrible state of the Leafs, not Burke’s absence, is the real reason for the Leafs’ poor showings.

• commandant says:

He’s not taking the day off, its a couple hours. The parade and the ACC are very close. So close that he can make his offers, leave the office, do the parade and go back to the office.

Plus if anything happens in those 2 hours, he’s got a capable staff with NHL experience who can handle most things. And if he’s really needed, he’s got a cell phone.

I don’t see him as “not being on the job” at all.

Do you think if Parise called and wanted to talk to Burke, they wouldn’t be able to reach him?

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• wjc says:

With today’s technologies, nobody takes time off…..always wired up and connected……exaggerations are alive.

wjc

• JUST ME says:

Although i agree that it is cheap journalism to bring the 2 subjects together considering what Burke went through in his familly life, still i have my doubts about Burke`s sense of professional priorities.
      Again, the decision was made because both events were held on the same date and sometimes you have to put your personal priorities before anything else.

If at least he did not act as if everything was under control hockey wise and that he did his best. I think he has no idea of what it takes to compete in today`s NHL in Toronto. He gets off too easily with his errors. In MTL one year missing the playoffs was the final drop in Gauthier`s mug. In Toronto under Burke`s management, 4 years without making it and it`s o.k. ?

I`ve been a Leafs hater since the last time they won the cup but now it`s not even funny anymore…

67. Bob_Sacamano says:

Therrien is neither half the man nor the coach that Larry Robinson is. So quite a logical decision to go with JJD.

• habsavvy says:

like I said, Robinson got SNUBBED!
      I already LOATHE Therrien.
      he wouldn’t know coaching if someone (deleted)

• wjc says:

Getting rather personal…Bob. I bet you do not know neither man. You have seen a hockey player, play.

You have seen them on T.V. perhaps in person….but, you don’t personally know them. So, do not talk about logic.

wjc

68. Habziefan09 says:

No matter where he goes.. or what he does, Big Bird #19 will ALWAYS be a Hab for Life
    ____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

69. RS says:

Too bad, Robinson is a legend. And as a coach, he’s probably learned much in the New Jersey organization working with Lou. He would have been a great asset to the Habs’ coaching staff.

Still, it’s done. Hopefully JJ works out okay. Let’s not beat this to death.

70. twilighthours says:

I did it. I shouldn’t have done it. But I did it. I went over and read habs eyes on the prize’s free agency thread.

I am starting to think that some of those guys a) actually believe they could be good general managers in th NHL and b) have never laced up a set of hockey skates in their lives (I’m guessing there won’t be an eyes on the prize charity game).

The way some obscure measurement is worshipped above all else – and used to obscure any other aspect of a hockey player – is astounding. It’s really something to behold.

These guys actually think they could do a better job than cunneyworth, bergevin, Gauthier, etc. it’s amazing.

• commandant says:

Those stats are ok, as long as you acknowledge that they are NOT the be all and end all of hockey analysis. Like the traditional stats they also have flaws, and you need to keep these into account.

Some bloggers (and its not just EOTP), but some other teams too, fail to take that into account. They merely look to advanced stats and nothing else.

This approach is severely flawed.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• twilighthours says:

With those guys over at EOTP, it’s as though they pore over data after the game is over instead of watching the game to begin with.

Today, I read on that site a criticism of desharnais because he takes less shots per 60 minutes than darche, and so therefore is an ineffective player.

It’s just ludicrous.

• boing007 says:

It would be great if DD did shoot more often. He has a good shot.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Talik Sanis says:

Maybe you should refrain from building straw men, mischaracterizing people and their arguments, and taking statements completely out of context. Determining Desharnais’ effectiveness as a complete player (rather than his effectiveness in one, specific area of the game) was not the point of the comparison, and your conclusion is completely unrelated to the one actually reached.

• twilighthours says:

The person in question cited desharnais’ shots per 60 minutes and compared it to darche’s rate, and used this comparison to infer that desharnais was not capable of efficient production with top 6 minutes. Seems like I got it right.

And I’ll refrain from building straw men (and being guilty of confirmation bias, I assume. Any other catch phrases you want to throw around?) as soon as you guys stop referring to lazy journalism, superficial fan analysis, and HIO users as “pathetic” and filled with “nonsense.”

It’s particularly disappointing for some like Andrew Berkshire to be spewing this, since Boone and the HIO community gave him his start.

• New says:

The world is a wonderous place.

I think Bergevin’s strength is surrounding himself with good people and knowing the players (looking into their eyes).
      I don’t think most fansites have that. They have enthusiasm certainly, and opinions definitely, but very few seem to actually understand how a team of people (or just people for that matter) works.

Before the advent of the internet you just didn’t see them. Now you went rooting through a disordered kitchen table of clippings, foolscap, and calculations. Ha!

71. Whatever says:

Daigneault better do one hell of a job.

72. commandant says:

In 3 of the last 4 years Washington was eliminated from the playoffs in a 7 game series (Rangers, Montreal, Pittsburgh).

In those 21 games…. Alex Semin had 2 points.

Just say no to him if he wants a long term deal and big money.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree 100%. In 2 years his contract will be in the same class as Gomez, Kabrele. This guy takes weeks off not just shifts. Skill? Yes, a ton. Work ethic? Non.

———————————–

• twilighthours says:

Listen, it is not about goals (or wins), it’s about how many shots he generated, and his corsi. Don’t you know?

Sorry, just got back from eyes on the prize, where hockey is played in fantasy land.

• Chris says:

From age 25-28, Pavel Datsyuk’s Red Wings were eliminated twice in the first round and once in the second round.

In those 21 games, Pavel Datsyuk scored 0 goals and 9 points.

Since then, he has scored 30 goals and 79 points in 84 games.

I doubt that Semin can match Datsyuk’s performance. But I don’t put a lot of stock on guys who have been prolific scorer’s throughout their entire career continuing to struggle in the playoffs. They usually find a way to break out of their funk.

That being said, teams do have to tread carefully with Semin. You can’t sign him unless you’ve got defensively responsible centre and right winger to play with him. You’ve got to surround him with strong leadership, because he doesn’t bring much with him. And you’ve got to hide your exasperation and be patient when he does something mind-blowingly stupid.

I actually think a line with Plekanec and Gionta would be great with Semin. He gets the space to free-wheel and the other two can cover for him. He gets a pair of heady veterans that are skilled enough to play with him. And he would get the Montreal market, where a player of his technical skill can become a fan favourite (see Kovalev, Alex).

Still, I don’t see him coming to Montreal. But I’m less concerned about the playoff failures of the past…those were team failures. If I would take Ovechkin or Laich or any of the other valuable Capitals, I should give Semin some credit too.

Nice to see Marc be respectful and call Larry to explain what went down. While it would have been nice to get Larry, at least the door to communication with Larry has been re-opened.

Thanks Dave Stubbs, you do a wonderful job, it is very appreciated.

74. HabsFanInTampa says:

I wonder where in Florida Big Bird lives?

So what you’re saying is a few teams are chomping at the bit while others are just nibbling? I wonder if the teams in on the action aren’t going to end up with a big contract mess exploding in their faces.

76. ZepFan2 says:

Money shot!

———————————————————————-
    “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

Well conceived HH! ;-)

78. Gumper Knows Best says:

Posted earlier

This one you can take to the bank. Under no circumstance, underscored no circumstance, will Scot Gomez be part of the CH family in any way, shape, or form this year. Hamilton is included.

If the new CBA details for buyouts or amnesty are not known by training camp, Gomez will be told to stay home as he will not be welcome to training camp or to poison the new positive atmosphere. Once details are known to the CH management, they will then act. Money is not the issue but best bang for the buck is the issue especially for the cap.

79. D Mex says:

double post

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

80. Bill says:

I don’t want to get all “moneyball” here, but I’m opposed to signing any premiere UFA, ever, if it means one of these 12-15 year deals with a monster cap hit.

A Kovalchuk, for instance, makes twice as much for twice as long as many players who are realistically only about 10% less productive. Whatever Parise signs for, it’s gonna be the same thing. He;s scored 410 points in 502 games. He has one monstrous 45 goal, 94 point season, four years ago. Other than that, he’s hit 80 points once, and never exceeded 69 points in any other year.

So I’m gonna be generous and say he’s an 80 point player. Well, a smart manager would avoid paying an 80 point player 100 million dollars over 15 years and try to get two 70 point players for half the money and term. And I think Bergevin is a smart manager.

Parise is a great player, but not a generational talent. He’s the best player in this UFA year, so his contract is going to SUCK. These contracts ALWAYS suck. They’re radioactive, and Bergevin should steer way clear of them every single year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

81. Chris says:

Yes, but if the team tells him to stay home, his $7.3 M cap hit stays on the books, just as it did for Georges Laraque.

It is also too late for them to do a buyout, as that window was from June 15 – June 30.

The only options left on the table are:

I) an amnesty buyout, which is a long-shot as 2/3 of the NHL teams are reportedly against such a provision

II) he is demoted to Hamilton

III) he is pencilled in to play for the Canadiens next Fall

With do respect my friend, if you were Canadian, you would know!

83. HabFab says:

Chris, yea of little faith! You forgot getting traded ;)
    I have also heard that those same team along with the NHLPA want to prevent salary burying in the minors also.

84. Gumper Knows Best says:

Cap hit is calculated daily and starts 1st day of the season

85. Un Canadien errant says:

I agree. I’m kind of biased because I’m not in love with Zach Parisé like many posters on here seem to be, but as you wrote he’s not a standout player like Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin or even Ilya Kovalchuk earlier on in his career. He reminds me of guys like Chris Drury who have good intangibles along with good production, but aren’t irreplaceable players.

86. unclefester says:

Do you really mean that?? Do you think Geoff Molson would agree with you?? It’s also obvious you’ve never met Donny Cape.

87. Strummer says:

All of those things are available in the Northern U.S. or Canada in July and August withour the extreme heat and hurricanes.

Florida’s an OK place- just not in the summer.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”