Exclusive: One-on-one with Canadiens’ Daniel Brière

dbriere

Daniel Brière skates past a bilingual love letter/marriage proposal in Philadelphia during warmup before a 2010 playoff game against the Canadiens.
Len Redkoles/NHLI via Getty Images

Thoughtful, profound and very well aware of the situation into which he’s skating, new Canadiens forward Daniel Brière had a long talk with The Gazette and Hockey Inside/Out’s Dave Stubbs on Tuesday night. What you’ll find here is the product of that discussion, a feature profile on a 35-year-old who can’t wait to learn what it’s like to play for the Canadiens – instead of against them.

1. HABZ24 says:

Can briere gain 8 inches by training camp

• habsfan0 says:

His wife would be most pleased with that development.

• westcoastgameskillme says:

Why doesn’t anyone ever talk about how hard it is to knock a player off the puck, height is completely irrelevant in hockey. There’s no 10 foot net to dunk the puck in, you don’t need to stretch over a cornerback in the corner of the endzone to barely stay in bounds, this is hockey and it’s about determination, strength and skill. Height has nothing to do with it.

2. habsmandes says:

Very glad to see this pointed out. This same group of people calling out for people to get traded are the ones then crying “We let go Markov, we let go Chelios, we let go Desjardins…” and blaming everything on management. Markov’s been an all star for a long time in Montreal. He needs to be kept here as does Plekanec.
    Cheer instead of jeer.

3. myron.selby says:

Things I’m hoping for this season:

– Habs challenge for 1st in the conference all season.

– Markov regains his skating legs and plays the whole season better than he did the first dozen games of last season. He signs another 2 year deal mid-year and retires a Hab.

– Gorges returns to form and plays like he did for the 3 years before the last one.

– Desharnais pots 80 points and is the leading scorer on the team.

– Diaz picks up where he left off before his concussion and is a dangerous power play point man all year. He also continues to improve on his North American game and hits a bit more.

Why do I hope for these things you ask? First off, because I’m a Habs fan and I always want success for the team. Secondly, I’m getting really tired of all the negativity and dumping on players on the team on this site.

How many people here remember that Markov told his agent when he first became a UFA that he had no interest in testing the free agent market, and to just get the best deal he could as a Hab? How many remember what an elite defenceman he’s been his whole career?

How about a little respect for what Desharnais has gone through to make it to the NHL? Or for Gorges flat out effort every shift and how well he played up until last season?

And how about cutting Bergevin a little slack and maybe give him at least 3 years before deciding he’s a complete moron? Or maybe a little slack for a coach who changed his personal style and approach 180 degrees and took a team from dead last in the East to second?

It will be great if all these guys can rise up and shove it down the throats of all the armchair GM’s. Although even an unprecedented rise from 15th to 2nd wasn’t enough to satisfy some people (hello Timo) maybe more of the same will stop the whining. I’m really hoping they build off last season and do even better this year.

End of rant. Nothing to see here, move along.

4. Ron says:

New thread…

5. Luke says:

Really liked that ESPN article on the Stewart brothers. So maybe I’ve got a case of the old ‘warm & fuzzies’ but maybe he’s available for a 2-way contract, or low $ 1-way deal.

Now while Anthony is not a goon, nor does he rack up major PIMs, he is huge man and an UFA.

28yrs old. Has scored in the double digits in the NHL, and can definitelty do it in the AHL.

He seems more useful to me than Blunden or some of the others. Heck, depending on his skating, he might be more useful than Moen.
    Maybe his Brother would like to be on the same team as him too?

Do it MB!

So there you go. A little ESPN social engineering… hahaha

6. ClutchNGrab says:

Just throwing some names out there, how about Steve Eminger and Michael Sauer, whould they be a good fit in Montreal? I’m worried that we won’t get any physical d-men.

Given the recent scuttle of Carbo discussing his son in law, here are some quotes from him recently regarding the recent HHOF inductees and those left out and the Morrow quote.

• Habfan17 says:

I would like the signing of Morrow to 2 years, similar to Briere. Then they could move Bourque back to his natural right wing where he twice scored 27 goals. It would also let the young players like Bozon, develop . If they do sign him, I would say that Gionta would have to be moved. Morrow also provides leadership so Gionta becomes reduntant. Then maybe MB can move Pleks for that number 2 defenceman that can clear a crease.

Habfan17

8. Ed says:

so if the team does not add any more pieces,
    who are the 6 forwards for the power play

and who are the 4 d-men?

assume that Gionta and Emelin will NOT be ready for the start of the season.

is it:

Plekanec – Briere – Pacioretty

Eller – Galchenyuk – Gallagher

(or do you see Bourque and/or Desharnais in there?)

Defence:

Subban and Markov

Diaz and ??

Good question Ed, seems to me that until MT shows otherwise, DD seems to get pp minutes ahead of Eller/Galchenyuk. I am hopeful that this scenario will play out in a full season with the deserving players receiving minutes accordingly.

The bigger question for me is that 2nd pairing of Dmen. I am fearful it is Gorges, whose game is simply not suited for powerplay time, in my opinion.

Maybe, (big maybe) by the midway point of the season with Emelin back, we could see Beaulieu get a try?

• Luke says:

Not sure why I feel this way, but I think Briere is going to be playing a lot of RW with Galchenyuk (LW) & Eller (C).

Galchenyuk – Eller – Briere

So that’ll leave a combo of:

Gallagher/Bourque – Plek/DD – Pax
      (flip the Ws as you see fit).

• 24 Cups says:

Ed – Subban can play the entire two minutes on the PP. Problem solved. It also would help if one of the forwards could relieve Subban for 30 seconds.

• donmarco says:

With no logical 4th defensemen for the 2nd unit, why not try a forward? We seem to have more than 6 forwards who could earn some PP time.

9. Fransaskois says:

I hope Markov plays well this year so he’s worth a significant something at the trade deadline.

How terrible is that?

• Kooch7800 says:

Would they actually move him though? I have a feeling he will retire a hab but then again he may want a cup and I don’t think it will happen in his tenure here

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Lafleurguy says:

A lot of us remember Saku Koivu with great respect, yourself included. The Big Three all retired as members of other teams, and Guy Lapointe even played for the Bruins.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Kooch7800 says:

True enough. My wish is Markov takes a home town discount for the next year to help as a mentor to help develop someone like Beauleu (sp?) and bridges us until they are ready.

I wish we never got rid of Koivu and never got Gomez. I think this team would be in much better shape now but who knows

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Lafleurguy says:

Not terrible but it forecasts the Habs being “sellers” and not “buyers” when the playoffs are looming. Getting a good return for the General at any point in time would be a good move.

“May you live in interesting times.”

He should be as good or better than last year, which would make him in high demand at trade deadline time. However, if he indeed does play well and appears to be finally over the injury bug (knee related) what is wrong with signing him to 1 or 2 year deals and have him continue to mentor young defencemen while playing well for the Habs.

And then there is the fact he also has a modified No Trade Clause.

• savethepuck says:

100% agreed. Not many give him credit for being a mentor for our young D.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

10. Kooch7800 says:

I think Morrow would be a better fit for the habs than Briere.

They are both injury prone and on the downside of their careers but Morrow is still physical and can help insulate someone like DD.

I hope the habs sign him just for a season

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

11. Lafleurguy says:

There’s a chance that Emelin and Gionta may have a Markov-type recovery. Eller will be back at training camp but I think “Patrice Bergeron” with the type of head knock he suffered. If Gionta isn’t ready at the season’s start, the sensibility of the Briere signing is magnified.

“May you live in interesting times.”

12. habstrinifan says:

@Timo:

How ya doing ya old softie! Who luvs ya babe and all that?
    Smells as if something’s up eh.. well I’m just buttering you up to say the following:

I had been staying away from reading Briere stuff cause I couldnt stand one more “character-like guy” telling us about how “he liked the team etc” .. I just wasn’t sold on Briere yet. But you posted that you read it and that your reaction was basically “eff” off.

Well Monsieur Timo sir (may I call you Monsieur).. I think this time you talking outta your caca-hole.

That article started off badly. I hated the “oh my I wouldnt have done that” good guy answer when Briere was challenged about shooting Price’s shutout puck into the crowd. I was getting my puke bucket ready.

But most of the rest was stand up, kick-arse, bring it, kinda stuff Timo. It wasn’t like hearing Gorges or Gionta talk … more like Prust and Eller actually.

Briere sold me with that article. And I do believe now that Briere’s career as a HABS will be a good one and there will be more intensity intensity in it because of his memories of his MOM etc.

Most Quebecois Dads probably grow up loving hockey first, then falling in love with the Canadiens unless their emotional heartstrings had been unshakeably grabbed and held by some ‘star’ from another team. They could however reason and live with their sons, like a Briere, playing for another team. But I think most Quebecois Moms make the connection to hockey simultaneous to a connection to the Canadiens. They probably never stop dreaming about their hockey playing child in a Montreal Canadiens CH. I think the memory of his MOM will make Briere want to be great for the Canadiens.

For the frst time I feel that Briere has come home. And I think he really feels that way too.. and that feeling will become deeper and deeper after every game.

This interview by Briere has sold me completely.

So I gotta disagree with you BIG TIME Timo.. but remember you’re still the most refreshing a-hole on HIO.

• Lafleurguy says:

Wow! Candor to the max. Thinking about the Briere “factor,” no. 48 is basically competing with Captain Brian for the same role on the team. I would have guessed that J.J. Daigneault would have been the last no. 48 to score for the Habs but Martin Guren it is (must have sneaked one in there when few people were watching).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with your insight (honest too) competing with ‘Captain’ Brian for the same role on the team. If you have read any of my posts re Brian Gionta you would know who I want to win that ‘battle’.

Which is why I am very relieved and excited after that Briere article.

13. wjc says:

Things that didn’t happen:

1. Bettman did not get fired.
    2. Fans did not boycott anything.
    3. Phoenix did not move.
    4. Fans did not boo, players did not look up and see empty seats and silence.
    5.All Canadian division did not happen.
    6.Players make as much money as ever, some got paid 3-4-5 years in advance told to leave and made new financially rewarding deals.
    7.NHL did not fall on hard times and will make more then ever, as will the players.
    8.Merchandise did not sit on shelves, but flew off more then ever.
    9.Winning the STANLEY, did not result in it being tarnished because of shortened season.
    10.Ticket prices did not come down, because fans flocked to the arena’s as usual, business as usual. No angry fans, just a bunch of hot air.

wjc

• doc359 says:

In the end, as angry as we get at Bettman, us hockey fans just can’t deal with not supporting our team. Thats why Bettman can get away with it, we are too addicted to ever give it up.

• wjc says:

Nicely said, I would add also, that the league is well aware of this.

They needed a restructuring, salary cap etc. and got it. I wish people would understand their own weakness and accept it.

wjc

• Strummer says:

also WJC- TV ratings on NBC for the final were through the roof.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

14. Lafleurguy says:

Craig McTavish pulled off a good one. Strange how the Habs are a better team than the Oilers but don’t have as good “trade-able” players.

“May you live in interesting times.”

15. RobertLefebvre says:

Carbonneau is well placed to speak of Morrow’s intentions. He is, after all, married to Carbo’s daughter.

Five best NHL logos:
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Montreal
    San Jose
    Toronto

Five worst NHL logos:
    Anaheim
    Calgary
    Carolina
    NYI
    Tampa

• RobertLefebvre says:

I’d remove the Isles and Flames logos and replace with the Canucks (either or both) and Kings. A whale is not a Canuck. The Kings logo bears no crown.

• 24 Cups says:

Hey, Robert. I trust all is well down in Cornwall with you and yours.

I forgot about LA tinkering with their logo. So much for tradition although Dallas seems to have improved their jersey.

• RobertLefebvre says:

Things are great here Steve, thanks for asking. I agree on Dallas. they can stop changing it every five years now. However, Carolina’s logo still looks like a puck flushing down a toilet bowl.

17. Maritime Ron says:

Cal says:…”I would rectify this “problem” by simply waiving a couple of them (seeing as no other team wants them) and restoring some balance to the lineup. Up front, anyway.”
    ———-
    Hi Cal, In the new CBA, the waiver process and attempt to bury contracts no longer exists in its past form.

EX:
    Lets’s say we took a present Habs Player that has a 1 way Contract of $3.5M – meaning he earns that Salary whether he plays NHL or AHL.

If he does not have a No Movement Clause and is put on waivers and is unclaimed, Mr. Molson still has to pay that $3.5M Salary while that player plays in Hamilton.

As for the Salary Cap ramifications, here is the new rule:

A one-way contract counts against the cap as follows:
    Player Cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

Therefore the Habs would still have to count $2.575M towards its Cap.

$3.5M – ($550K minimum salary this year +$375K) = $2.575M which is minimal relief and as you can see, gets worse for higher Cap Hits.

• Cal says:

The Habs can afford it. It’s not about burying the Cap hit. It’s about restoring balance on the ice.
      Too many small forwards= Habs can’t compete. Adding Parros doesn’t change this.

• Maritime Ron says:

Cal, at least for this year, every single million of Cap Hit space is important to the Habs

This is a team in transition and Bergevin was left with a lot of small soft junk.
        If you don’t want the small soft junk with high salaries, why would you believe any of the other 29 GMs would want it?

• Cal says:

They don’t. That’s why you send the player(s) to the minors.
          The DD contract extension was incomprehensible. Why MB decided to lock him up for 4 years is still a mystery.
          I’m past caring what MB “inherited”. (PK, Price, Gally, MaxPac, Eller, etc) He’s had a year to “grow” the team. IF the Habs are forced to keep minor leaguers because of cap constraints, there is something wrong.

• Maritime Ron says:

You expect miracles in 1 year when a successful GM like Ken Holland says it takes about 10 years to actually be able to judge a GM’s body of work.

While you may be past caring of what MB inherited, I am past caring about posters that always say we need that big Top 4 Dman or big Top 6 winger….as if they grow on trees OR if another GM would trade that OR never stating what the cost would be to the Habs OR paying stupid David Clarkson money on a UFA

• Habsrule1 says:

You sound like you have no clue what it takes to build a hockey team. Hopefully MB does.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

@Habsrule- looking at the players MB has signed (aside from the PK bridge deal), MB appears to be too busy signing players with French family names rather than looking at what the club needs.
            After 20 years of futility, the Habs need to have a GM that won’t make “stopgap” moves. Promote the youth, ffs. And if the youth isn’t good enough, at least the Habs aren’t overpaying for them.

• Ed says:

that’s why throwing 4 million to Briere is such a questionable move. We needed to add size and toughness and power to our lineup, and the 4 million to Briere did none of that.

• Maritime Ron says:

Ed

I’m not judging yet and really want to see how this team looks in a year from now.
            Size can be addressed with both Gionta and Markov coming off the books 1 way or the other.
            FAR from being a Desharnais fan, he has little trade value at this moment even IF there was another team interested. He has a year to up his trade value or by some miracle, find a place on this team when Galchenyuk and Eller take over.

• Cal says:

Exactly- why sign an old stopgap injury prone tiny tot?

So lots of stories swirling about the finances of the Ottawa Senators and specifically Eugene Melnyk. Any chance Bettman is throwing Gene a bone here by giving him the chance to play in the Cash Grab Classic? I am assuming the revenues for a game like this are shared by the two teams involved. Obviously the Canucks would get a bigger share given the cost of putting the game on, but traditionally these games are a financial windfall for the teams involved, no?

• habstrinifan says:

Good conclusion. Melnyk’s ability to continue to underwrite the team has been the subject of mild speculation here in Ottawa for some time. Of course I try to avoid Sens talk etc but the Sens seem to have such a lukewarm impact on this city.

• Fansincebirth says:

Melnyk is having a cow because the city has refused to allow him to build a casino here. Perhaps he was looking for that to bolster his financial situation. Maybe there’s more to the story of Alfie leaving than chasing the cup….

• Strummer says:

Vancouver and Ottawa- and recently Winnipeg- are the remaining Canadian teams who haven’t participated in a Heritage Classic match so it is probably more a case of it’s their turn

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, it has. I sent an email to the team1200, which they read on air, voicing my disgust with Melnyk for trying to bully the city into granting him the new casino on his land by Cdn Tire centre. He has gone on record saying he will not increase his budget to sign players if he doesn’t get the casino.

The casino should go where it will have the most beneficial impact on the economy, not where Mr. Melnyk can line his pockets.

Apparently the Cdn Tire Centre is sold out for most if not all games. He just got the great naming deal with Cdn tire and retained Scotia Bank as a sponsor. I think his actions are deplorable!! Give me what I want or I won’t make the Sens better is basically what he is saying. Present a strong economical case for the Casino and maybe book more shows at Cdn Tire place. If you are losing money, then sell the team! He is trying to drag the fans in to fight his battle, too bad for him I am a Habs fan in Ottawa!

Habfan17

• Habsrule1 says:

I heard them read your email. I agree with you to an extent, but I don’t think there is any “bullying” involved. He has never said the team would be moved if he doesn’t get the casino. He is just stating the fact that all he can spend is $50M. There is nothing wrong with that. He is also trying to get a chance to have the casino out by the arena. If he starts by saying he has tons of money….give me a casino too…that’s unlikely to work. It’s negotiation. I personally think there should be a proper process to decide who gets the casino….nothing wrong with that.

I’m also a Habs fan in Ottawa, but you have to look at the big picture here, imo.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habfan17 says:

Glad you heard my message. I see your point and I agree 100$ the process should be open and fair to all parties.

I will still hold the opinion that he is bullying, not to the extent of moving the team, but to the extent that if he doesn’t get the casino deal, he won’t spend more on players and therefore it will hurt the chances of building a team able to compete for the cup. A veiled message.

The ability to run a successful team should not hinge on having gaverments throw you other business opportunities, it should come from proper business planning and models for the business. If a business cannot sustain itself, then something needs to change or it should not exist.

Nice to have another Habfan in Ottawa :) Enjoyed the chat!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

The only stories swirling around were started by Melnyk. Where there are lots of people gathering there is business opportunities, thus a ‘Casino’ would work.

Just business, this stuff always works, throw such and such out there and let the fans run with it. Light up twitter, papers, social media and put pressure on the powers to be.

wjc

Okay, I will then disregard the stories written in the local papers speculating about his Pharma business. Thanks as usual for correcting things with the “wjc” facts.

19. Ed says:

Ron makes some good points below, as usual.

Detroit will need to “grow” their lineup this season playing in the heavyweight division.

That could be why they didn’t keep Brunner and maybe won’t Cleary.

Look for Detroit to add at least 1 bigger forward.

20. Habfan10912 says:

I see where Carbo mentioned that Morrow will be a Hab soon. Although I suspect Carbo is not as connected as our own 1992 (insert appropriate icon), what does the morning crew think of this potential addition?

Provided he has something left in the tank, I would have no problems with this addition. He has made a career of playing hard minutes, going to dirty areas on the ice. I am not sure what to take from his playoff numbers with Pittsburgh. He seemed to do a nice job with Pittsburgh prior to the Playoffs, but that entire Penguins team looked bad against Boston.

• Mike D says:

Morning Gents.

Thought I’d offer my $0.02 quickly before heading to work.

Morrow as a player offers a few things the Habs need – some grit along with some scoring ability as well as some vet leadership/knowing what it takes to win type-stuff. He’s also a LW which is something we need. I realize Bourque played the left side a lot last season and did just fine, but he’s a natural RW and is put on the left out of necessity.

The tough part about adding Morrow is that we don’t really have much roster space for him. We have 12 forwards as of now. We’ll have 13 if/when we re-sign Whitey, and if we don’t, Dumont will take his place on the 4th line. Morrow would make 14 forwards meaning 2 guys are sitting in the press box, and it also leaves no room for any of our forward prospects who may be ready to make the jump. There’s also cap concerns but I won’t get into detail about that other than to say we have 4mil left and should leave some room to maneuver during the season for injury call-ups etc..

To me, Morrow would have been a better fit than Briere but that ship has sailed and nothing can be done now. If we add Morrow, we have no choice but to move out at least one other top-9 player, if not two. But who do we move? Most of the guys us HIOers want to trade either have lower value and/or no trade/no move clauses.

Morrow had a split knee-cap during the playoffs as well which helps explain his lack of production, but he also has some hard miles on his body. The team would need to thoroughly check him out medically before signing him (which I’m sure they would do anyways).

Enjoy the rest of your morning fellas. CHeers!

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny
        The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Strummer says:

I agree that roster and cap space allow little room for Morrow.

Also agree that he would have been a better choice over Briere.
          ______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Fransaskois says:

Highest salary, biggest return, deepest position.
          I think people really overstate Plekanec’s worth to the team. We need a #2 defensive center to: play good defensive hockey against top-6 players, score 45-50pts, play on the PK. We have a guy who can do that, his name is Lars Eller. All other responsibilities offensively for a “#1C” that Plekanec has held can easily be given to Briere, Desharnais and/or Galchenyuk. We’ve also got (if we sign Morrow) Morrow, Gionta, Bourque, Dumont, Prust, and White who are good defensively and can play on the PK. We desperately need a young-ish #2 defenceman, Plekanec is the only moveable piece that can be used to acquire one. It will be a team-changing move but one that will likely benefit the future of the organization. That’s how I feel anyway.

• Phil C says:

My feeling is that MB would probably have to trade a forward to make room for him. If that ends up being a good trade – say for a good 20-25 minute defenseman – I would be happy with the signing. I can’t see him fitting any other way, the Habs already have Pacioretty, Bourque, Prust, Galchenyuk on the left side. I can’t see Morrow signing on to play fourth line minutes so someone would have to move.

• Fransaskois says:

Bourque played most of his time at RW in Calgary and throughout his career. He was converted to LW only once he came to MTL.

• Phil C says:

Yes, there are lots of ways to make room for him. Trade a RWer and move Bourque over, trade a centre and move Briere or Galchenyuk into the middle, or trade a LWer. Either way, someone would have to move.

• Fransaskois says:

Oh yeah, there are several options. There’s also the possibility that Gionta is out for the start of the season. Might not have to make a move now to make room but, perhaps one later in the year.

• Maritime Ron says:

Fransy
          Good point about the Gionta readiness to start the season. Perhaps that’s the big question that would dictate a short term move

• Fransaskois says:

He brings what we need. Grit, secondary/tertiary scoring and leadership. He’ll be a good role model, in particular, for a guy like Pacioretty. Pacioretty did so well when he had an example to follow but I feel his play this year was a little less engaged. We desperately need good leaders on this team as Subban/Gallagher/Galchenyuk are too young and I don’t feel Plekanec/Markov/Bouillon/Gorges/Prust are up to the task. Bringing in two former captains will really help show our young players what it takes to be professionals, especially guys like Morrow and Briere.

Morrow can be a complimentary “grit” piece throughout the forward lines, something we don’t have at the moment. Hopefully, bringing him in would mean we are able to move one of our other top-9 players out.

• habstrinifan says:

Hope you dont mind if I attempt to answer using another tact. I’ll start by rephrasing the question “what does the morning crew think of the potential improvement to the team based on this addition?”

Even if it is only because I am suffering from envy as I sit and watch most other teams sign significant additions while Habs have been less than busy, I would welcome Morrow to the team excitedly.

Having Morrow(or someone like) with Briere (I dont mean on the same line) in our line up promises to have the extended positive effect on the team as Parros joining Prust. Their impact will surpass their individual ability or statistical production.

Morrow gives the coach a wider array of options for offensive line combinations. Parros gives the coach a wider array of options for “pushback/protection” line combinations.

Without a player like Morrow, Briere’s signing may have been less likely to provide a cubic growth curve in our offensive production.

A roster with the following names; Briere, Morrow, Parros, Prust; begins to look very complete and versatile.

I hope you read this answer because I have a follow up question.
      Maybe like me, you are just eager for HABS to do something.

But considering that 21 RFA have filed for arbitration, would you hold off on a signing like Morrow hoping to pry a ‘better’ RFA from a team or would it be too great a risk to hold off and lose Morrow specifically.

Remember also one advantage in trading and signing an RFA may be the removal of someone from our current roster, which in my opinion is also a necessity before season start.

Tony Gallagher pulls no punches in his thoughts on the “Heritage Classic” game in B.C. Place this upcoming season.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hey good buddy. Hope you enjoyed your company and survived the storms OK. Surely the league was motivated by money. My experience with an outdoor game? Attempted the AHL outdoor game in Hamilton. Although as the article points out the sight lines were horrible and watching the puck was near impossible, it was a great experience that I’m glad I did once. I hope the league gets the ONCE and does not over expose what should be a “special” event in the hopes of selling tickets.

• doc359 says:

In Boston we have the frozen Fenway, which is an outdoor tournament for some of the New England college teams. Pretty much had the same experience as you. Was a special thing to do and was really fun, but doing it over and over just ruins the great parts about it

22. Maritime Ron says:

For the folks that felt the Parros signing meant little, perhaps the words of a Habs player who knows what goes on in his own room is all telling.

Headline from French CBC (Radio Can)

* “Few teams respected us physically” – Francis Bouillon

Bouillon hailed the deal that brought the big man Parros to Montreal.

“In our division, which has also Toronto, Boston and Ottawa, it is important to get bigger, to get a player that will give confidence to the many small players,” said Bouillon

” This is a guy that will make the organization respected. I don’t think many teams had respect for physical aspect of our team.”

————-
    Here’s hoping that finally puts to rest the Jacques Martin philosophy that was sold to a willing Gainey/Gauthier duo that speed, quickness, and talent ‘alone’ can overcome size and physicality issues….especially in our Division/Conference.

Some naysays may point to Detroit, yet the Wings played in a non- hostile Division last year that included Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, and the little tougher Columbus.
    Even in their inter-Conference games, there was little to fear.
    We’ll see how they fair in a more robust Division this year…

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ron. Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to hear players say what many here have been saying. For me, just having Prust protected is enough.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Jim,

Agree – Prust needs to be protected…meaning not that he can’t handle himself, just that it was totally unfair that he had to assume that position alone.

While no one could ever question what Prust brought to the team last year (Imagine if MB didn’t sign him???) he was alone and his physical make-up (6’2″-195) put him in vulnerable situations to get hurt.
        Having Parros now will take the heat off of him – he can play some tough hockey, then when need be, drops them will a lessor opponent and not the other team’s goon.

Hopefully in a full season, Ryan White can also find his way back into the lineup and in an effective way for the Habs. I hope the arbitration goes well in his case and he can bounce back. I would not like to see the Habs give up on Whitey yet.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi burli,
            Not quite sure how or why White chose that route – maybe to try and squeeze a few…just a few more dollars.

If it ever gets to the hearing, White has little evidence to stand on:

The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases:
            •The player’s “overall performance” including statistics in all previous seasons.
            •Injuries, illnesses and the number of games played.
            •The player’s length of service with the team and in the NHL.
            •The player’s “overall contribution” to the team’s success or failure.
            •The player’s “special qualities of leadership or public appeal.”
            •The performance and salary of any player alleged to be “comparable” to the player in the dispute

• Lafleurguy says:

Morning Everybody….even a supporting role player like the Cube got really worn out fighting guys bigger and tougher. No logic behind objecting to 950,000 spent on a player like Parros.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Thanks for the find Ron, no doubt the players on the ice appreciate having some big bodies around them.

Morning Ron and Jim.

• Cal says:

“get a player that will give confidence to the many small players”

That’s the most damning line of all. Why must the Habs continually stock up on midgets? Are their scouts all hobbits and predisposed? Do they have collective height envy? Are they watching the play from under the ice, giving them a skewed view of the action?

• Maritime Ron says:

I wasn’t touching that one :-) yet is it at all possible that the drafted player make-up was dictated by the GM?
        That they told Timmins the vision of ‘skill-speed’ and to find players that fit that mold?
        Timmins won’t look for slow speed and toughness if TOLD to find the opposite.
        The last 2 drafts are case in point. The non drafted signings also show a change in philosophy

• Cal says:

• adamkennelly says:

some of us have been saying this all along…nice to hear from the room….when opponents do not respect you – they feel they can dictate the physicality of the game and impose their will…this turns into losses and injuries..period.

Parros is a nice add – I would seek out a big tough D as well. Engelland could be the odd man out in Pit.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Adam, what you say in your first para was most painfully highlighted in the series vs Ottawa.

The Sens aren’t as big or tough as Boston, against whom we often find a way to win by playing our own game.

But with the various injuries factored in, especially Emelin’s, the lack of respect the Sens (naturally — we’d have done it too if the situations were reversed) showed was hard to watch.

Speaking of Danny Briere, here’s the guy we should have signed instead.

24. Harditya says:

P.K. Subban’s name engraved in the dressing room. Cool video.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Who else got chills watching that video? Especially at the end when the camera pans down the list of past winners. So proud of my favorite player PK :)

25. Sportfan says:

I didn’t know D’Agostini was a d-man :P http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25880

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. Sportfan says:

Edmonton has made some decent moves, BUT their d is still young and a bit weak and their goal tending is awful!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Andy and the habs says:

Imagine if they had traded to move up to get Jones.

So you expected their new GM to replace the enitre Defence and goaltending in his first offseason? I’m no Oilers fan, but getting a new coach whom I think was an excellent hire in Eakins, UFA Dman Ferrence was a good signing, trading for Perron was a very good move and he managed to move Horcoff and his contract out of Edmonton.

Not quite sure I understand the ripping of Edmonton, given their GM is new on the job.

27. Andy and the habs says:

Anybody see the add? G N’ R in metropolis July 14!

28. Sportfan says:

So any interesting Hab rumors? Perron being traded away kind of put a damper on a lot of Habs dreams!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. Andy and the habs says:

To respond to someone expecting Eller to have a breakout year. Eller is good but not destined to be great. He will be third line center just like Jordin Staal was to Pittsburg due to excellent centres we have in DD, Pleks and Chucky. Then we’ll trade him to Flyers to move to 10th over all pick when his 5 year contract ends.

• Timo says:

Did you just use “excellent” and DD in the same sentence?

• habs001 says:

Eller to reach the next level has to show that he can put the puck in the net…otherwise he can be a solid centre that gets you 15-40-55….

• christophor says:

Eller put up 30 points in 46 games with low minutes, no PP time, tough competition, and less quality linemates than Plekanec and DD (though still good linemates).

Seems that even if he won’t be a scorer, he can be more than a 55 point man.

• Da Hema says:

I noted something else too about Eller. When Emelin’s season ended, the knife went into the Habs. When Eller went down, it was over for them. Eller is important to the team. He helped provide the Habs a decent third-line.

• Andy and the habs says:

Oh yes, that was a huge blow to the team. I was sick to my stomach when that happened. With Eller we had three good lines rolling. We had nothing to replace him after.

• Andy and the habs says:

Couldn’t agree more. Ellet will be a solid center for Canadiens, just what they need. We will see if he has anything above average talent this year.

• christophor says:

We saw it last year. And I know you’re not down on Eller. I just think Desharnais isn’t what you think. But it’s nice to see optimism as opposed to the over-the-top negativity about Desharnais usually posted here.

• Andy and the habs says:

Although there was a play where he was in an odd man rush with Chucky I believe against Toronto and he was able to finish with an incredible chip in move in what appeared to be an impossible goal. That one if he can do more often will make him more than capable to put the puck in the net.

• yakhab says:

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
        will be habs #1 line by mid-season

• christophor says:

Desharnais gets unjustified flak around here, but your opinion is as unjustified in the other direction.

• Andy and the habs says:

DD’s speed and his hockey sense along with his caractor are in the right direction and truely justified.

• christophor says:

Desharnais is by a significant margin the slowest Hab centerman. He has hockey sense, yes. But I don’t see how you come away from last season without acknowledging that Eller has passed him on the depth chart. Desharnais had more ice time, way more PP time, better linemates, weaker competition, more offensive zone starts, and fewer points. In other words, Eller was better last year both defensively and offensively. Plus he’s bigger and since he’s also a few years younger, he’s likely to get better.

This isn’t to say Desharnais isn’t a useful player, just in a limited, offensive role.

• Andy and the habs says:

Chris, there is nothing to talk about at this point in summer re: hockey. I was half joking. Read my initial post for the second time.

• tophab says:

the two top goal scorers played with DD THE LAST TWO YEARS.

• Sportfan says:

I think if he really gets big minutes he can be a 50+ points a season kind of guy. Kind of like Plek but less points and a bit less defensive skill.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• christophor says:

With low minutes last year, he was on pace for 54 points over 82 games. Give him 18-20 minutes a night, top linemates, PP time, and I bet he slots perfectly behind Galchenyuk for a decade, producing more than 50 points.

• D Mex says:

Are you standing when you describe DD as an excellent centre ?
      What I mean to say is : are you doing standup ?
      LOL :lol:

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• SlovakHab says:

Yeah… Crosby/Malkin ~ Plekanec/freakin’ Desharnais.

Spot on :D

Just read Briere article. He is full of crap. Eff him.

31. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – To the dismay of its legions of fans, the Montreal Canadiens have announced they’ve signed a defenceman no one has heard of to a three-year contract.
    “At six-foot-six and weighing 245, Jean Lapine is exactly the kind of player the team requires to protect its most valuable assets,” general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters. “I don’t think we need worry next season about our skilled forwards getting pushed around. Oh, it might happen once – but only once.”
    The newest Canadien, whose broad shoulders and narrow hips made him stand out in a roomful of reporters with narrow shoulders and broad hips, didn’t say much, just stood there kind of quiet and shy, and when questioned at all, would only say hi.
    Bergevin said the huge right-handed defenceman was discovered playing in the minors where he had been buried for several years after serving time in the Columbia County Prison for “sending a Lousiana fella to the promised land” in a quarrel.
    The general manager said Lapine’s record actually sold him on signing “the giant of a man because it showed he won’t back down when challenged, even if it means breaking the rules. Which, as we all know, isn’t seen as a problem in today’s NHL. So he should fit right in.”
    Bergevin dismissed veiled suggestions – the news media were unusually circumspect with their questions – that Lapine was a marginal rearguard who would wind up playing 3:01 minutes a game.
    “Jean is no goon if that’s what you’re implying” – the reporters vigorously shook their heads, glancing over at Lapine, indicating with their saucer eyes that was the furthest thing from their minds – “he’s a solid player whose career got sidetracked for awhile,” Bergevin said. “We’ve needed a man to clear the area in front of Carey and what’s-his-name for some time. Jean can get the job done with his size alone but he’s not afraid to use the timber, I mean, lumber if he has to. You won’t see him crack under pressure.”
    Then Bergevin smiled and added: “You don’t give no lip to Le Gros Mal.”
    When reporters started pressing in on Lapine, wanting to learn more about his background, he gave out a yell and with a mighty shove flung them down on the floor – and everybody knew it was the end of line for further questions.
    Financial details on Lapine’s contract were not released. Bergevin would only say it was ”gold.”

— "A little song, a little dance, communism is our best chance." –

Where is my Yammy Yagah?!

33. Marc10 says:

The Briere article is tame compared to this…

Enjoy! Absolutely worth your while if you’re a fan of the Stewart brothers… I guess that’s what MB means by character.

34. habstrinifan says:

JohninTruro :July 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    “I think we have a fairy enviable top 9″

MB needs to identify the team/s that are enviable of our top 9… and offer one or two from our top 9.

35. Saintpatrick33 says:

How Pat Burns is not in the HHOF is beyond me. The people who vote for entry into the Hall of fame should give their heads a shake.

36. Mark C says:

David Ortiz just set the all-time record for most hits by a DH. This past offseason many fans and media members poo pooed his new two contract as overpaid, for too many years, and a marketing ploy to sell tickets. Sounds a lot like someone we know. Oh yeah, Ortiz is third in OPS and has been a steal. The moral of the story is to be careful writting off savvy veterans.

37. Marc10 says:

I hope Briere is healthy this year. He’s a top tier skill guy. If he can squeeze two quality years out we’re laughing. He’ll need to be insulated (McGuire expression… sorry!) with bigger bodies who can give him some space… ideally with guys like Eller/Chucky and MaxPac… Maybe that way he stays healthy and produces. I don’t doubt he’ll put in a full effort.

As important as the kids were last year… they’ll be even more important if we’re to make the show this year. If MB is unable to further retool the lineup, we’re going to need Tinordi to step into Yemmy’s skates. Up front Chucky stepping up and becoming a legit top 6 forward would do wonders for our lineup. Eller really needs to continue progressing too…

Big ask… but given our salary cap structure and smurf-heavy lineup, those three guys need to step up big time to take us further up the food chain.

Here’s hoping they will!

38. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Gionta will never be the same. Morrow would be a good player to pick up for a year or two.

• Clay says:

Why do you yell at everyone with your username? Social (media) etiquette, man!

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• SmartDog says:

His name is Owen Meany. He can’t help it – he just talks that way.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Bill says:

Literary references on HIO? That’s worth a *slow clap*.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SmartDog says:

Not the first time I’ve made that one.

But it’s the first time someone picked it up. For a year after I read that I couldn’t read anything in caps without hearing that shrill squeaking voice. Good book… but the only one of his (aside from Garp) I could get through.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Bill says:

^^ Have you read a Widow For One Year? That’s his best by far in my humble opinion!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not a completist, although I tried. It took me forever to finish “A Son of the Circus”.

“The Hotel New Hampshire” is my favourite, heartbreaking. “The Cider House Rules”, “A Prayer for Owen Meany” and “Garp” are regular re-reads for me.

39. 100HABS says:

Ryan White applied for salary arbitration. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427445

He has a total of 3 goals in the NHL… who’s his agent? That’s an odd strategy.

• SmartDog says:

Okay Ryan, the arbitrators have awarded you a two-way contract that pays you minimum if you stay with the big club, and $13.50 an hour plus a lunch allowance and a monthly haircut if you’re shipped to Hamilton. You in?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Da Hema says:

I think it is a typical tactic by agents to extract a few more dollars for their clients. I recall reading sometime in the past that the arbitration process has tended to favor the player rather than the organization. There really is nothing to lose for the player in this case — although the team will point out every flaw in a player’s game, so it is best the player not attend these arbitration meetings, unless you want to find out every weakness the team sees in you.

• Phil C says:

Maybe he wants to be a free agent and sees this as a path to being cut loose. He wasn’t exactly the coach’s favorite player.

40. munch17 says:

The difference between Moen and DD having bad years is that Moen took ice time away from 4th line guys like White and Dumont.
    DD took power play and top wingers away from Eller , Pleks and Chucky. I wonder what kind of year these guys would have had with DD’s opportunities.

• showey47 says:

Chucky probably would have won the calder. If the rumours of DD being shopped are true,it would have been a heck of a lot easier to move him without that 4 year contract.

41. SmartDog says:

My wife just told me this joke…

Q: How many Habs fans does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Five. One to change it and four guys to come over and talk about how great the old one was.

Gotta be able to laugh at yourself – and she (not me) has a Habs logo tattoo… so the joke’s on both of us. Of course I do more talking (about the Habs).

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

How many Leaf fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

What’s a lightbulb?

• Da Hema says:

So true. We really do live in the past. That said, at least Hab fans are not a bunch of revisionists like certain other fans for a Canadian team that shall remain unnamed….

It’s a really good one.
      I think a troll posted it here during the Ottawa series if memory serves. All the regulars just laughed, said, Good one.
      Trolls hate that.

42. Mark C says:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I found it interesting that Bozon is staying Montreal this season to train.

43. HABSNFO says:

Briere signing, I still don’t get it. Got to go with the youth and draft high. Maybe if the habs are out of the playoff race by allstar break MB will deal Briere for a draft pick. A very affordable contract for anyone.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I will hold My nose when I see Briere wearing the CH

45. Phil C says:

Count me as someone who is really excited to see Briere play for the Habs. I just hope he can hit a streak of good health.

I would love to know what Therrien and Bergevin said to convince him to come.

• johnnylarue says:

Same here. I’d love to know what this “vision” was that the Habs brass shared so persuasively with Mr. Briere. Might help to sway a few of the more prominent doubters on this site. ;)

• Adidess says:

Maybe they said something like “we’ll pay you $4M a year for two years”.

I am joking. Not many people get a do-over in life. Brière is now secure financially and has the chance to play for the iconic team of the province where he grew up, where his (extended) family is based and his roots are. He doesn’t have as much pressure as the last time and really not much to lose at this point. I have no doubt he’ll wear the jersey with pride and give it his all, especially after getting bought out by his first choice team. I see no downside to this deal (besides not getting bigger as a team), as Brière will be easily tradable around the deadline unless injured.

I’m telling you right now, no goal will get the Bell Center crowd more amped up this year than those scored by Daniel Brière. And I have the feeling he’ll score quite a few, at least during the regular season.

• Mike D says:

“I’m telling you right now, no goal will get the Bell Center crowd more amped up this year than those scored by Daniel Brière.”

To be fair, I think that distinction is owned by P.K. Subban. Gally and Chucky are notable 2nds.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny
        The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Phil C says:

When he gets his first hat trick, the place will be a madhouse.

Engraved Forever
    P.K. Subban’s name was etched on the all-time honour roll in the Canadiens’ dressing room.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

47. Dr.Rex says:

What is most likely to be a headline tomorrow:

a) Jammy Jagr signs with KHL team
    b) Lecavalier admits decision to sign with FLyers all about the benji’s.
    c) Morrow seen at meat deli close to where Bergevin walks his dog.
    d) Habs were close to trading for Perron. Not willing to trade Beaulieu.
    e) Laraque seen eating celery on subway.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a tough one Dr. but I’ll go with (e).

• Le Jadester says:

I kinda hope it’s (d) cause I think Beaulieu is gonna be hUUge for us in the next couple years. I pray that him PK, Emelin and JT light the league up!

Anyways, who the fack does Laraque think he is chirping Parros all of a sudden? What a carnie. Coming from a guy who thought he was acquired to be a hockey player when he was with us ? Unbelievable some people……just no shame?

Habs, OLE !

• habsfan0 says:

I didn’t know Bergevin had a dog.

• ABHabsfan says:

More likely ” Laraque Seen Eating a Sandwich From Dunn’s”. Seriously, you don’t get a gut like that from eating celery

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

48. Habfan10912 says:

Just checking in and I see the site has been invaded by Communist? Front? Haborana? Timo? Funny thing is I’ve always wondered about Bellyfull. :)

49. Adidess says:

The amount of money generated in the sports business/the NHL is insane… Pretty sure this isn’t news to anyone.

Considering Carey is making $6.5M a year, can one possibly be shocked that a top goalie who just backstopped his team all the way to the Cup finals gets $7M?

Do you know Carey hasn’t won more than one playoff round yet? Yes $7M is a lot of money, but context is everything.

EDIT: I mean no disrespect to Price, just talking ‘comparables’ here…

• wjc says:

No one player takes any team, anywhere. Teams win with individuals all playing well.

Listen to your own words “HE BACKSTOPPED HIS TEAM ALL THE WAY TO THE CUP FINALS”. Key words backstopped and team.

Goalies stop pucks, forwards backcheck and score, defense score and defend, coaches devise strategy. As a team.

wjc

• Adidess says:

I’m sorry, wjc. What you’re saying makes sense from the point of view of the coach who wants everybody playing as a unit.

But that’s not how the monetary compensation system works in sports or anywhere else that is not a communist system (hello Front). Salaries are based on established or perceived individual import and contribution to the team. This $7M salary is based on Chiarelli’s assessment of what Rask means to his team and apparently he means quite a bit more than Shawn Thornton.

The point is if Price is worth $6.5M playing in the NHL as a baseline, I don’t know how people can be shocked that Rask may be worth $7M based on what he just helped his team accomplish — not winning the Cup (hehe), but close…

• wjc says:

Are you saying Rask is better then Price.

wjc

• Adidess says:

I am saying the basis for giving Rask the $7M contract (stellar play on the way to the Cup final) is actually a strong one. The basis for giving Price the $6.5M contract was solid play toward one playoff series win. You hope but don’t know whether Price can play great through four rounds of playoffs. In comparison, you know Rask can.

• TheLogician says:

“Goalies stop pucks”

yes, it’s just that some do it more so than others. especially in the playoffs.

50. savethepuck says:

I enjoyed the article, I hope he has a bounce back season for us.
    He has my support until he proves himself wrong.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m sure Briere will have a bounce back year. I could see him putting up 50-65 points. Is that enough to help Montreal improve on a horrid finish to the season and an ugly playoffs though? I don’t think so.

The Habs needed to add more scoring, not just replace Ryder with Briere and they needed to add more size and stability both at forward and on defence. That didn’t happen, except for adding a 6 minute a game tough guy.

The Habs surprising 2nd place finish in the standings would have looked a lot different if they had to play a full 82 games. People like to fool themselves into believing we’d still have finished near the top but IMO we’d have barely hung onto a playoff spot. The Habs weren’t as bad as that slump and ugly playoff but they weren’t as good as that hot start either.

And besides, the regular season is a totally different style of hockey to the playoffs. You can have a small and speedy team and succeed in the regular season, with all the PPs and the shootouts. But there’s no shootouts and the PPs are cut by 75% in the playoffs. The Habs are not built for a long run is the playoffs, not in the slightest.

• johnnylarue says:

It’s anyone’s guess how our offense will look next year. Eller is poised for a breakout season. Bourque seemed to be on the upswing until he got hurt. Love him or hate him, Diaz was also putting up great offensive numbers before he got hurt. Chucky and Gally have a year of experience under their belt–sophomore jinxes notwithstanding, it’s not unreasonable to expect more great things from them. It’s more a matter of maintaining and building upon the chemistry our forwards had last season than signing a proven goal-scoring monster (the likes of which can be difficult to land.)

It’s all just a question of perspective at this point. But I’m onboard for acquiring another tough customer up front to help balance out the current “Whack-A-Mole”-ness of our top 9 and ensure that our lil’ guys can operate in less painful working conditions.

• Andy and the habs says:

• wjc says:

So why are you bothering to watch Mr. Hanson, it will be time well wasted. Do you like hopeless situations. Pick some other NHL teams to follow and save yourself the aggravation.

Believe me you can learn to like other teams and up your chances for happiness, come back when you think the Canadiens have a chance. I am serious.

wjc

• BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Excellent post Hobie. The only one I’ve seen so far that make sense. Everything you said is right on …. Perfect.

51. frontenac1 says:

@dunboyne. That guy in the video is an impostor! Its a frame-up amigo.Sneaky commie buggers! “Oh Danny Boy,the pipes the pipes are calling..From glen to glen and down the mountanside” Saludos!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ok Frontenac, I hear you. (and nice singing, btw).

I’m sacrificing the point I scored and absolving you of all association with communism. I also apologise for casting Cistercians.

(I just love that that video is real!).

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Is Moen more expendable than DD?

• Hobie Hansen says:

If Desharnais were magically removed from the Canadiens they’d be a better team. I wish we had Plekanec-Eller-Galchenyuk down the middle and no Desharnais.

Regarding Moen, I’m not pulling the plug on him yet. He might not have a chance to prove it in Montreal, but on a good team he’d be a good 4th liner in the playoffs. I think he’ll bounce back next year.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I actually like both players, Hobie. I’d like to see DD have one more season or half-season to demonstrate what it took to attract that deal. As for Travis, I really think he is post-concussive and may need to think seriously about hanging up the skates. Because if he’s not prepared to play physical, what does he bring? (Against that, someone pointed out to me that he’s still good on the PK)>

• Mike D says:

That may have been me, I remember saying that to someone the other day. Moen is still good on the PK, but I agree, without his physical play, his value drops significantly.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny
          The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re right, I think twas yourself.
            And it’s a good point. Also Hobie below on Moen doing deputy duty.
            But if the guy is wondering about the wisdom of playing hockey given what he has probably now learned about brain injury, he is probably putting himself at even greater risk on the ice (as well as being of less value to the team).

• Hobie Hansen says:

Without the physical aspect of the game Moen isn’t worth a heck of a lot to a team.

But as we’ve seen during his tenure in Montreal, he’s been bumped up a line or two on occasion to cover for an injury and looked ok. He can actually skate and isn’t a liability when he’s out there. You’ll see him killing penalties and on the ice late in the game.

But ya, something was wrong last year.

• piper says:

I too hope DD has a bounce back year. When he’s playing good and his value is up, dump his ass at the first opportunity.

• twilighthours says:

If you’re willing to give Moen another chance, you gotta give DD one, too. Moen was the worst player on the team last year.

• johnnylarue says:

He was the most disappointing, at least. If I had to give the dubious honour of “worst Hab of 2012-2013″, I think I’d probably have to go with Drewiske.

Holy crap–I think I’ve officially got my first HIO Whipping Boy!!

• The Dude says:

Moen plays neutered … Hockey welfare case!

• durocher says:

Absolutely

53. mksness says:

wow rask, 7m a year…. i can’t wait to hear habs fans saying that’s too much for a goalie…

• SmartDog says:

Knew that was coming! The good thing about the Bruins run is that Rask’s price tag went up. That’s gonna hurt them.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• mksness says:

man 7, 8 year contracts…. it’s crazy. so many things can happen to a player, injury, loss of focus, loss of chara on D. Wonder what the King in NY will get

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Earlier reactions seem to hint that Rask is more Halak than Brodeur.

He sure looks good to me.

And if he really was crap, the Leafs would never have traded him.

• Ed says:

I’m no goalie expert by any means, but Rask looks like a terrific goalie to me – and very competitive, which is essential for goalies.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What I was thinking. And teams have to be ready to pay big for a quality keeper, so whatever cap space issues the deal creates will just have to be navigated. Presumably Rask is occupying chunks of the space vacated by Seguin and Horton.

• mksness says:

Rask is very good. i think he’s a #1 guy but my issue is with the term. here is another goalie who has not played more than 45 games in an NHL season making mad money.

• Haborama says:

He’s a good goalie, a very very good goalie, but that’s a huge contract, a lot to live up to.

• The Dude says:

Rask proved himself and earned his pay= not a choke artist. Carey Price can carry Tukka’s jock!

• mksness says:

looked like choking in the last 2 games when his team needed someone to steal a game for them…. 2 goals in 17 seconds:-p price would have been crucified in montreal had that happened to him in a stanely cup elimination game

• wjc says:

No matter who loses, it is always a choke. How does everybody win, that is impossible. Someone has to lose.

If you lose you choke, ridiculous, the whole league is set up for ONE team to win at the end. But if you lose, you choked. I will never understand sports fans, they are sometimes totally nuts.

wjc

• donmarco says:

That’s too much for a goalie.

:-)

• wjc says:

Too much money for anybody, but the NHL is not the real world.

wjc

Given the young talent Edmonton had at their disposal, I think they made a good move getting Perron today.

55. Haborama says:

If MB turns down Morrow, he should be fired.

Ok, that was a major overstatement. But One would hope that he wouldn’t allow an opportunity to improve the team to slip away, especially since Morrow apparently wants to play here.

Factoring age and injuries, a deal like the Briere one would be perfect.

Then a wise GM would offload DD for whatever he can get.

Pacioretty – Eller – Gallagher
    Borque – Plekanec – Chucky
    Gionta – Briere – Morrow
    Prust – White – Parros
    Moen

Subban – Gorges
    Markov – Tinordi
    Boullion – Diaz
    Drewskie

Price
    Budaj

Three interchangeable scoring lines with at least one Physical/big player per line, and a hell-raising fourth line.
    It’s not everything, but it’s a start.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Haborama. How are grandkid and all?

I’m starting to agree with the enthusiasm for Morrow. Someone said below that he’s slow but he can clear the crease. I’ve kind of forgotten what that looks like when in a Hab jersey….

As for your opening statement (and others like it, plus related keypad issues we won’t reprise here) I’ve figured out what happened:

the letter “d” felt out of your name right after “habo”.

(Anyone doesn’t like it is a communist.)

• Haborama says:

I overstated, but then proceeded to use said overstatement to form a rational, thought based argument.

And I am the furthest thing from a commie ;)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yeah, so far none of the posters I fingered have come clean. A couple fingered themselves, but I think it was disingenuous, just a ploy to score points in Surrey’s game.

Grandkid?

• Haborama says:

He’s quite healthy and happy! Name’s Darren, my daughter and her husband live in Washington DC, so I won’t see him as often as I like but I’ll do my best.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Excellent. Too bad about the distance. Just keep those frequent flyer cards up to date. Cheers.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

OK, how about swapping Chucky and Briere?
            Doesn’t Briere prefer wing?
            And Chucky gets to work on developing his natural position but in the NHL environment?

• mksness says:

how is chucky on the third line? stop this madness. he’s supposed to be a top line center!!!!!!!! or is he just “developing” on the third line

• Haborama says:

good point, one minute please……

ADJUSTED!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Further to that, are we in favour of pushing Eller and/or Galchenyuk to No. 1 centre to see how they get on? Pleks is more suited to No. 2, and the other two are perhaps rival heirs apparent. Is October too soon? It’s an exciting thought, I love it, but maybe we need cool heads to prevail?

• Haborama says:

YET ANOTHER GOOD POINT!!

I would love to see Eller at #1 until Chucky matures.

hold on a minute please….

• Dunboyne Mike says:

A few more caps each post, Rama. Have to be vigilant, have to fight it. Remember you’re not alone here. You have a support network.

• mksness says:

Chucky is better and more skilled than eller

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agreed, but doesn’t he have to wait another season or two before playing No 1 centre? To begin with, he needs to work on his defensive play.

• mksness says:

i want him to score. i want him to develop into a offensive player. the defensive stuff he can learn over time.

• mksness says:

further more, DD should learn defence before chucky

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Can’t argue. And it would be way more fun to watch. Just to keep us entertained during the rebuild.

• Habs1st says:

Interesting lines. Not criticizing, just wondering. Traditionally, 4 lines would be assigned with roles something like this…
      1st line: best scoring line
      2nd line: 2nd best scoring line
      3rd line: shutdown or scoring line
      4th line: fill-in/tough guy or, if they & other 3 lines are really, really good, shutdown line
      Is this what you had in mind? Cause, if not, for a “shutdown” line, I would think it needs to be mixed up. The 1st line you have is meant to get us points. Bourque, Chucky, Eller, Briere & Gionta are built more for point-getters, IMO. Shutdown line Pleks, Morrow & ???? Bourque maybe? Thoughts?
      One issue I had with recent Habs teams/coaches is that they put players in checking roles when they are offensive players and vice-versa. Prime examples that come to mind: Ryder (in his 1st stint with MTL) as a 3rd & 4th line player – for extended periods when he struggled. Moen on the 1st line. I’m sure there are others, however, I think you get the drift.

• wjc says:

Haberama, never heard of the back up key, erases words.

The operative word is ‘apparently’. As in ‘Morrow’ APPARENTLY wants to play in Montreal. Apparently, is wishy washy. Apparently, she thought I was rich. Apparently, he thought the gun was empty, until it went off.

We thought he was unhappy, but, apparently he wasn’t, as near as I could tell….it wasn’t that apparent…..apparently. A rotten little weasel word. Apparently it is the best car on the road.

wjc

56. jrshabs1 says:

according to Sportsnet Morrow has contacted Habs. Can’t see Morrow as anything but an upgrade. If he get’s a Briere type deal MB is going to look like a genius.

Go Habs Go!!

• JohninTruro says:

By “Briere type deal” tell me you mean 2 years, and not the 4 million?

• Habfan17 says:

If MB does sign Morrow, it would have to mean someone will get traded. He is a left wing As it is now if Morrow signs
      Patches, DD, Briere
      Morrow, Pleks, Bourque
      Prust, Galchenyuk, Gallagher
      Moen, Eller, Blunden/Parros

and I doubt they would put Eller on the 4th line. I’d say Gionta being out and maybe trade Pleks or DD if it happens.

Habfan17

• Mike D says:

Too bad he didn’t contact the Habs before the Briere signing. Morrow is a better fit based on position and style of play. As it stands now, we don’t really have the cap room or the roster spot for him.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny
      The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• wjc says:

They forgot to say ‘along with 15 other teams’. They contacted the Canadiens apparently, along with 15 other teams. Let the bidding start.

wjc

57. habs1992 says:

If Danny scores 25 or more I will bemore then happy, 20 will be good to, 15 ok, 10 pis.sed
    I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

58. Mike D says:

*Reposted from previous thread*

So STL now has just under 13mil to sign Chris Stewart, Alex Pietrangelo, and Magnus Paarjavi.

Stewart will likely get around 5mil leaving them roughly 8mil to sign the other two. Depending on whether they give AP a Subban-like bridge contract they might still be up against the cap.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny
    The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Habfan17 says:

I have read that AP wants $7 million/season, they may still need to make a move or two.

Habfan17

• mksness says:

ya briege deals save sooooooo much money…

• Phil C says:

The Blues are usually a budget team, so they are really up against it. However they can’t take on any salary, so if they trade someone, they will want a young prospect and picks back, like the Edmonton deal. I’m not sure Montreal is in a great position to give up a prospect and picks. However Stewart is young enough to have an impact for a while so it may be worth it. I’m glad I’m not the GM having to make decisions like that. ;-)

59. JohninTruro says:

He needs to lose the orange jersey..

• twilighthours says:

And put the puck in the net. A lot.

• JohninTruro says:

I think we have a fairy enviable top 9, and an interchangeable 4th line. As I am every year, I am excited for this year. And really excited to see how the Bulldogs do, all of our players in the CHL (happy McCarron has joined the Knights), and the World Juniors will have a ton of habs to watch.