‘Everybody’s going to lose,’ Crosby says of lockout

sidneyweb

As of Tuesday afternoon – Day 59 of the NHL lockout – there were no new labour talks scheduled between the league and the players, which has left Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby – and others – frustrated.

“I don’t think there’s much negotiating going on. I think as far as the proposals are concerned it’s just kind of at a standstill right now,” Crosby told reporters after skating in Pittsburgh. “Nobody’s moving a whole lot on their side and I think that we’ve made steps to show that we’re willing to negotiate. I don’t think that’s really happening on the other side.

“The desperation to play doesn’t really seem like it’s on their side,” Crosby added. “I think there’s a deal to be made (but) I think negotiations have to be made if there’s going to be a deal. If it keeps going like this everybody’s going to lose, there’s no way around it.

“Everybody’s going to lose.”

You can read more by clicking here.

Meanwhile, former Canadien Mark Recchi told Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe that the longer the lockout drags on, the worse it’s going to be for the players.

“My advice,’’ said Recchi, who is now part owner of the Kamloops Blazers junior team, “is that the longer it goes, the worse (the offer) is going to get (for the players). Hey, I’m an owner, too, so I see both sides. We lose money on our team, and obviously that’s not the same, the money’s not nearly as significant as in the NHL, but the business dynamics are similar. We’ve lost money every year we’ve owned it.’’

Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Chris Young/Canadian Press)

Everybody’s going to lose. Take me for example. I lost 5 pounds of fat (and subsequently replaced it with muscle) since this lock out began because I drink less, eat better and exercise regularly as I don’t waste my gut sitting on my ass drinking beer, eating snacks and watching hockey any more.

My advice to Fehr and Bettman. Let’s keep this strike/lock-out going please. No hockey this season is OK by me. Thank you.

2. AllHailTheFlower says:

I’m surprised anyone still thinks Recchi is relevant enough to even ask his opinion of the lockout. I wonder how many rocks the reporter had to turn over before he found him…

3. frontenac1 says:

RDS showing Habs vs “Diques game from Oct 1979

4. Bripro says:

Another comment on the Jays, and that’ll be all for me. I’m getting a rash.
    The Marlins’ salary dump in this trade will take them from $100MM/year to $16MM.

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve been a Habs fan and a Jays fan my entire life. I spent my childhood moving back and forth between the two cities. I’m thrilled to this day that while living in Toronto, my father refused to take me down to Maple Leaf Gardens because he hated the Leafs. I experienced my first hockey game at the Forum in 1989. Habs won 3-2 against Hartford with Ryan Walter scoring in OT.

However, I’ve been a lifelong Blue Jays fan. I went to a ton of games at old Exhibition Stadium as a kid. So this massive deal really excites me.

The Habs and Jays have been mediocre at best for almost two complete decades. If the Jays made the playoffs again I’d be doing back flips!

Go Jays go!

• Bripro says:

By the way, you do know that “Hoooooo” is pronounced “HOU” and not “Ho’ “, right? Just making sure you’re not too (that’s not “to’ “) upset.

*********************************************

• Bripro says:

“WOW”, Batman’ is right!
      I can see Mr. Morrison trying to work the fax machine as making a very good scene for a Clueless male sequel.

*********************************************

• habsfan0 says:

“Holy Separatist, Batman! Another sovereignist?”

5. frontenac1 says:

So Dr.Recchi gave up Medicine and is now an owner who is losing money on his team in the Junior League,and is now giving everyone business advice? What a Charlatan.!

• Bripro says:

He obviously studied a minor in investment counselling, along with his PHD, at the school of not-so-hard-knocks.

*********************************************

6. Hobie Hansen says:

I know the words “Toronto” and “Baseball” aren’t overly popular around here but the Blue Jays just made a monster trade. Trading away a lot of younger players for some star players from Miami.

I really like Buehrle (liked him more 2-3 years ago), Johson the pitcher is a wild card as his health has been problematic. He is kind of a Morrow, when good great, but more often not. The real issue is Reyes, in my opinion a headcase with incredible talent.

I am very glad Escobar is gone, kid has been a problem for years in the league, A.A. gave up his supposed future all star shortstop and perhaps our best pitching prospect in Nicolino. If Nicolino doesn’t make the bigs for a few years perhaps the trade is okay.

I am glad to see the team spend money, but Reyes plays to his own accord, all the more reason A.A. needs a manager with experience, which I doubt he will hire.

The pitching is better today, so I can’t be too negative, but I worry A.A. continually trades for raw talent and ignores players attitudes. It is a team sport with individual stats and the clubhouse needs to be cohesive.

• Bripro says:

Loria’s signature is all over that one. Fire sale!

*********************************************

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The dedicated Blue Jays reporter at Sportsnet has been pumping up the Blue Jays’ own bench coach as a great choice as the new manager, so (because I’m cynical) I figure that’s a done deal and the Rogers family of companies just want to sell us on this guy a little before the official announcement.

• Kooch7800 says:

Actually Burly, I think that is exactly what AA is going to hire…A skipper with experience. He really made a boo boo with Farrel. He needs to pick a safe manager with loads of experience and there are a few options out there. I think it will be taken care of in the next week or so.

I have been wrong before though LOL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

7. Bripro says:

Repost for those looking for the live interview:
    Sid the kid talks about the CBA frustrations.

*********************************************

8. icky pop says:

An a serious note, I will say that I am on the fence about who I support. I’m on the owners side, cuz I believe that players make too much money. But I lean on the fence to the players for the simple fact that the teams signed these contracts, and should honour them. I remember when wild signed suter and parise, the general manager said that him and the owner talked about signing both players when their agent, same agent for both players, asked if Minnesota would be interested in both. I remember it being said “how can we afford not to” and talked about it changing the face of the franchise, which it did. And let’s not forget the weber deal. I’m sorry, but all the signings this year just to have the owners take it back is crap. That’s like if I got a job, and they told me that I’d get paid 20 an hour, only to tell me a month later I’m only getting 16 an hour. But I see the league bullying the players into taking less money by not letting them play. A lost season to an owner is nothing. Seriously, you think they care about one season when they are thinking long term gain. An owner can own his investment for the rest of his life. A player however is blessed if he can play until he is forty or older. One season can ruin a players career. Now imagine a second year of this lockout. The players will fold like origami. The teams have this in the bag. Molson is really the only owner I can think of that is being hurt terribly by this lockout. No beer and no hockey make Geoffrey an angry boy.

9. Mavid says:

10 am – some of us work during the day..

10. Habilis says:

It’s pretty interesting how all these former players keep speaking out. The mystery is how all the current players dismiss their advice so easily.

He’s not in the game anymore, he doesn’t know how it is, right?

Actually he does know, because he played for 10 or 15 years (or a hundred like Recchi) and he went through 3 stoppages including a full season.

Learning from those who have done this before… I know it sounds crazy but maybe it’s worth a look.

11. icky pop says:

Third. Yea, snoogins.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Can’t wait for the Dogs game tomorrow morning @ 10;00 A.M. on TVA!