Even Aunt Bea’s got a ticket

Mayberry’s Aunt Bea, along with Andy, Opie, Barney, the sizzling Thelma Lou, perhaps even Floyd the barber will be cheering on the Hurricanes tonight.

In my mind I’m goin’ to Carolina
Can’t you see the sunshine
Can’t you just feel the moonshine
Ain’t it just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I’m gone to Carolina in my mind
– Carolina In My Mind, by James Taylor, 1968

How big is tonight’s Canadiens game against the Carolina Hurricanes? So big that all of Mayberry is bypassing the big social up in Mount Pilot to go tailgating in Raleigh. So big… well, you make up your own scenarios.

But it’s all terribly simple: if the Canadiens take the summer-bound ‘Canes into overtime, the Habs are in the playoffs. If they don’t, their fate could come down to Saturday’s season finale at home against the nothing-to-lose Toronto Maple Leafs (though a whole lot of implausible stuff must also happen between now and Sunday to make another final-weekend Habs playoff elimination nightmare complete).

More to come today at Habs Inside/Out as we set this one up.

1. Bugs says:

Jack who, now?

Oh well, I guess all this decrepit fogey stuff is good for my culture at the end of the day. I should rejoice at the opportunity I’m being given to become less stupid on occurrences in ye’ole bygone era. Please accept my apologies, sir.

Carry on.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

2. habsfan0 says:

Silly Wabbit…

3. HotHabs says:

get with it.  Jaro Halak is the Habs #1 goalie and has been for months.  He’s winning games and playing great overall.  Why can’t you just accept that fact and cheer him on?  The guy was drafted at the bottom of the barrel, yet he’s become a #1.  I suppose there are better stories, but that one is inspirational, too.

And… I don’t hate Price.  He’s just not arrived yet.  His time is coming.

4. Bugs says:

I don’t refer to myself as Bugs Bunny, HF; it’s other posters who do that. Can’t hold that against me.

And that only shows that MY references work without even me TRYING to make’em work.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

5. Dave Stubbs says:

I’m old and this is “my” site. So there. Could have gone the Jack Benny route, but I resisted.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

6. dicktracy says:

Sargent Carter might look good behind the bench for the habs tonight.

7. habsfan0 says:

Bugs?? As in Bugs Bunny? Now THAT’S outdated…

8. Bugs says:

Oooohh, well, in that case…uh, no, nothing.

The reference still remains so obscured by its datedness that I’ve already bumped into the coffee-table twice.

What’s next, a slide-show of Edvard Munch works to illustrate the game against Toranna?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

9. HotHabs says:

i understand very clearly.

if all the stars align so that the Rangers win both against Philly (with one going to OT giving Philly the point they need to jump over Mtl) and Boston wins its remaining games, and the Habs don’t get a single point in its next two…. (breathe) Canadiens miss the playoffs.

But, if all of that has to happen, then maybe they don’t deserve to be in the postseason anyway!!!!