Engqvist is back

Babcock
Andreas Engqvist, who stuck with the big team for a while after training camp, has been recalled from Hamilton.
Petteri Nokelainen and Travis Moen are injured and out of the lineup for the Canadiens’ game against mighty Detroit at the Bell Centre Wednesday night.

And don’t look now, but there are four teams tied at 45 points in the Eastern Conference standings.

Dave Stubbs on McGill alumnus Mike Babcock

• Coaches get on P.K. at practice

Red Fisher weighs in on Tim Thomas

Pat Hickey’s take on Thomas and Stu Hackel’s

American Canadiens talk about Thomas

Price the new poster boy

The team release on Engqvist:

Assigned to the Bulldogs on December 5 the 6’01’’ and 201 lbs centre ranks second on the Bulldogs in scoring with 23 points (13 goals, 10 assists) in 27 games this season. Five of his goals were scored on the powerplay. Engqvist registered 63 shots on goal and displays a team-leading +9 plus/minus differential.

In eight games with the Canadiens this season, Engqvist, 24, maintained a +1 plus/minus differential, recorded four blocked shots and five hits, while averaging 6:24 of ice time per game.

The Stockholm-born forward Engqvist signed with the Canadiens as a free agent on July 13, 2009.

1. Because I like the codes.

:-P

o.O

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

2. icky pop says:

Concerning Tim Thomas. Good on him. DuPont obviously doesn’t pay attention to politics, and the NDAA, that has happened since he won the silver for his country. Calling on him to return his team USA jersey is crap. Thomas didn’t say he hates America. He said he hates the people running it. He obviously loves his country to be so upset about it. Hating the president doesn’t mean you hate your country. Talking about how all the other players went… None of them are American, so throw that argument out. Throw the whole damn story out. Who cares. It’s his political choice. Let him have it without criticism. That’s what makes being American great. The ability to speak out against your government.

On to hockey. Trade subban while his value is high. He is making a bad name for himself. He argues with coaches, fighting with teammates. He’s being pointed to as a dirty player. And him turtling is getting on my nerves. He can play dirty, and beak players off, but refuses to answer the bell. His teammates won’t stand for it long. We can get something for him in return that would be worthwhile. The only asset we have, aside from price, that will get us something good in return. But we have to get before the getting is good.

Sorry for the politics, and lack of replies I give to what I’m guessing will be a few comments towards what I have said here. I don’t post here often, and I never look back.

• viper says:

can we not get through a day where there is no shitting on or tradeing of subban i,am telling you ppl he is gonna be one heck of a player .h e l l he already is. a little fine tuneing and we have a star

3. Strummer says:

The Wings are in town, so watch and learn Mr. Molson.

You need to start building a strong organization from the top with a focus on player acquisition/development.

You need bona fide hockey people- not beer salesmen and former fan favourites.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

4. ed lopaz says:

so Donny Cape, Larry Robinson’s good friend and agent was interviewed on the radio, and here’s the bottom line:

Robinson’s agent has already called the Habs 3 times to inquire about coaching in Montreal

Before this season, he was told that the coaching situation was “under control” – good one!!

He says that if Montreal – especially now that Molson is President and owner – calls Larry – he would absolutely listen to what the Habs have to offer.

He has told Molson this directly.

Larry Robinson is the PERFECT FIT for this team.

Whether as an assistant or as head coach he would turn our defence into one of the very best in the league in short order.

Especially – Subban!!

Larry is no nonsense – bigger than life – 9 Stanley Cups – as a player, Head Coach and Assistant coach.

I am sure that he is on the short list to be contacted once this season is over.

It would mean that Subban and Emelin and Diaz and all the great d-men we have in our system could be mentored by one of the top d-men to ever lace them up.

It MUST be done!!

5. ont fan says:

So how much pressure did Thomas put on himself the rest of the year?

6. ont fan says:

Listening to Mclean and Kypreos.. trading Subban or Price would be insane

• Newf_Habster says:

I agree with them. Price and Subban are such young men and players and they need time to develop in order to be better players.

• habs-hampton says:

Then PG is just the guy to do it!

• Hobie Hansen says:

You do not “EVER” trade Price. The only way I’d even think about trading Price would be for a top line defenseman or forward and 3 1st round picks.

The Canadiens could spend the next 20 years trying to find another goaltender like Price.

• RGM says:

That trade offer still leaves a MASSIVE organizational hole. You simply do not trade franchise goalies unless you’re getting at least a serviceable one in return. Because the deal you speak of leaves us with Peter Budaj/Robert Mayer/Nathan Lawson as the top three on the organizational chart.

Here’s a great idea: let’s just put to bed the stupidity of the notion of trading Price and/or Subban.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• sackabooboo says:

It would be insane. The pressure that the media and the fans put on thier young players is unreal. If I lived in Montreal, I think I would stop being a Habs fan, as it is tough to listen and read all of the crap that everyone writes. If you look at trading the core, yes if we traded Subban for Stamkos that would be fine, but no one is going to do that. We blew up the team three years ago…that didn’t work. We have tried to assemble a good young core of Eller, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Georges, etc…and everyone complains that this is not working either. Then we would trade Price and Subban and the media would complain about that.

I am no expert, but I don’t beleive the problem is the players. It is a GM who apologizes for hiring a coach, a coach who feels he is a lame duck, players who get ripped every time they make a mistake by the media, and sub par journalists who attempt to create controversy so that they can say “I told you so”.

Price, Subban, Eller, Pacioretty et al are the future of the team. And you bring in Gallagher, Tinordi, and Leblanc and I like the looks of that.

_______________________________________________________
      Why does something I have no control over have so much control over me….

7. Propwash says:

MTL vs. DET are always good games to watch. None of the circus sideshow BS that happens against teams like Boston or Philly.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

8. Hobie Hansen says:

Just finished reading the above article on PK Subban. It is almost impossible to judge to what degree the media is having an impact on PK’s reputation around the NHL.

I made a few comments yesterday that the French media are the ones stirring up all the controversy all the time but when you look at it I think he’s been ripped on TSN and CBC to the same extent.

And again, I do speak conversational French but I get all the info I need from the English outlets. So I really can’t comment on what goes on in the French media except for a few outrageous headlines from the Journal De Montreal.

I also have the Center Ice package and my girlfriend speaks zero French so we often watch the visitor’s broadcast. Except the Bruins!!!

And when I think about it, there has been many times the media has ripped Maple Leafs players and coaches and stirred up all kinds of controversy. Tie Domi, Ron Wilson and Brian Burke have all had their lives turned into a living hell, to mention a few that come to mind.

And everything that has gone on with Luongo and the Vancouver media is worse than the PK saga.

So at this point I guess I’m basically saying that the media from Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver all go overboard their fair share of times.

I don’t mind the PK article from today because just like PK said, coaches yell at young players in practice. But it is the majority of people and the casual fans that read the headline in passing and not the story that tell a friend, and it gets passed on and on and next thing you know the Centre Bell is booing Subban and he’s run out of town. And yeah, the media is the main party to blame.

• shiram says:

Pk said he had a good relation with Randy, and he did not want to media to screw that up, that says alot to me.

• habs-hampton says:

don’t forget CBC’s very personal vendetta against Alex Burrows. The most one-sided piece of “journalism” i”ve ever witnessed.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Hobie you posted your article blaming the French media as a comment to Mike Boone’s blog article titled “P.K. called to order at practice”.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Strummer says:

Don Cherry started the ball rolling at CBC when he started smearing PK as a rookie for “lack of respect” when he had run-ins with the idiot Mike Richards of the Flyers.

TSN just loves to stir up anything that will create headlines and take the heat off the Leafs, all their “Hockey Insiders” thumbs a-clicking on their blackberries.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

9. durocher says:

Engqvist did not look impressive at all during his brief time in Montreal. But his numbers in Hamilton suggest he’s playing well. I hope he shows something tonight. Maybe he will get inspired by playing against some Swede stars.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen LL come back to the big club.

10. boing007 says:

Doug McLean on Hockey Central this very minute defending PK Subban. Good for him.

Richard R

• Strummer says:

McLean has been a coach and GM in the NHL.
      He’s the only one on there that knows what he’s talking about.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

11. Sharks9 says:

Leafs signed JM Liles for 4 years/ 3.875 per year

As much as I hate that team, it’s a good signing.

25 before 14

• Mattyleg says:

Apart from the fact that he is currently concussed.
      It’s a risky signing, and you have to wonder why they didn’t wait until he came back and played a few games first.

• RGM says:

Hmmm for an extra 2 years and .025M per year, you get Josh Gorges.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

12. SteverenO says:

Enqvist has has 50 minutes of ice time this season.
    39 minutes at even strength and 11 minutes on the PK unit.

At even strength there were no opposition goals scored against while he was on the ice. One goal was scored by the Habs.

In eleven minutes playing shorthanded two goals were scored by the opposing team’s PowerPlay.

»Enqvist has scored 5 PP goals with Hamilton this year. Other than Cole with 7 , and Weber with 4, no Hab has scored more than 3 PP goals. (for those who don`t know Gomez has no goals, PP or otherwise this year)

Who wants to bet that Enqvist will see time on the PK unit?
    Gomez will get PP time (if he is dressed)?
    Enqvist will not play on the PP.

(Why break up this cohesive PP unit?)

Regards,

Steve O.

13. Sportfan says:

Subban when he was anwering the questions about him and the coach stuff basically is PK telling the media to back off and stfu haha good for him media blows everything out of proportion

Interesting twist in the Bertuzzi/Moore lawsuit. Appears Bertuzzi has dropped his countersuit against Crawford, but lawyers for Moore say Bertuzzi was financially rewarded by Orca Bay Sports for doing so. THe plot thickens.

• LA Loyalist says:

thank you very much for posting this.

Edit. I just read Globe article. A couple of points, Bertuzzi now cannot counter-sue Canucks saying he was following orders.

As for the experts, both sides will hire expensive experts, who tend to offset each other in these things unless the evidence is truly damning. I don’t think ‘Nucks want the video in front of a jury, I hope they settle.

My wife just settled a case like this (not sports) literally on the courthouse steps, it was a big game of chicken but no way the deep pocked defendant wanted to go to a jury so at the last moment they blinked and wrote a big check.

Our prayers are with the Moore family, no amount of money will give him his life back the way it was.

And of course Bertuzzi is still playing and making millions $.

Lovely.

• G-Man says:

Bertuzzi still playing is why I advocate for the player that causes the injury to be out as long as the injured player. Suddenly, “career-ending” hits and cheap shots would disappear. (Especially if the NHL resorted to as much video as possible to ensure the penalty fits the crime.)

15. Habsssssssswin says:

RE: Todays comments
    Sports and politics don’t mix .. Bruins/Thomas
    hockey teams/language issues
    Making playoffs …If it happens it happens. If it doesn’t it, doesn’t.
    THE Montreal Canadien do not tank !…Simple…..
    PK Subban ….is an incredible raw talent. We are lucky to have him. Leave him alone. Ditto Carey Price..
    Shoot the puck to win shootouts…. no fancy ,no fivehole…
    Be grateful your a Hab fan.Support them at home= more home ice wins …much needed home ice wins …..

16. petefleet says:

WRT Tim Thomas: There is a huge difference between being a proud American and being a fan of the Federal Gov’t. The fact that Thomas is taking his opinion to the airways during what is supposed to be a celebration of excellance by his team, is the real issue here, not what’s in the message. I hated the Liberal Gov’t under Jean Cretian and would have stood on a stump for all to hear at the time but, I was and still am a proud Canadian. Once again, the media is making a big thing out of the wrong thing. Slam Thomas for his timing, not his opinion.
    PS: A lengthy post about Gomer and Enqgvist was submitted but not posted. Just saying.
    ******************************************
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

Just noticed reading below Habfan 10912 and Chrisadiens both posted at exactly 11:22 the Scott Gomez left practise question.

You 2 guys are on the ball, like white on rice.

Just thought that was kind of cool!

18. RockinRey says:

Who the @$%^ is Francois Gagnon? Influential? Dont think so. Opinionated? Undoubtedly! Giving up on PK at this point is just plain stupid. Just like it would have been to give up on Price. The french press needs to be called out sometimes by the guys writing for HIO.

But I forgot . Dont want to ruffle and feathers for fear that someone might label it anti francophone.

• Mattyleg says:

I believe the ‘French’ (I imagine you mean Francophone press, and not the press from France) press is called out just as often as the Anglo press is called out.

19. LA Loyalist says:

Hey Guys – where is Serious? Have not seen posts recently. Am I not on here enough? (some would say too much) or has he given up on us?

That would suck.

20. MTLCANADIENS says:

4-1 red wings tonight. datsyuk 3pt night

21. LA Loyalist says:

I’ve solved our problems… we need players with MULLETS.

Seriously.

22. shiram says:

Something to cheer for.

Carey Price won’t be making the trip to Ottawa alone. Raphael Diaz will be heading to All-Star weekend with the netminder to join other the YoungStars in the skills competition. Diaz is currently third among rookie defensemen with 14 points, just one point behind Devils rearguard Adam Larsson. The Swiss blue-liner is also first among all rookies in the NHL with 81 blocked shots.

Diaz is a great pickup by PG for sure.

23. Habfan10912 says:

NHLWIKI just tweeted that Gomez sent home. Have no idea if legit or not. Anybody else hear this?

24. Chrisadiens says:

98.5FM is reporting Gomez was sent home before practice. Habs refused to comment.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

25. AH says:

I just read Stu Hackel’s review of the Red Wings, this could be ugly tonight. Let’s hope the Jekyll Habs show up and they win.

Man, what a powerhouse Detroit is, how long will it be before we’ll see write up like that on the Habs??? So sad and depressing how far this once great organization has fallen.

• DorvalTony says:

If Price is the saviour his fans say let him steal the game with ColeTrain potting the winner.

——————————————————————
      ”First of all, you have to have continuity if you are to have success,” Pollock told the New York Times. ”I think it gets the manager and the players to become more attached to each other.” – Sam Pollock

• powdered toastmann says:

Yeah, huge gap re talent etc…I don’t know, but I’ve got a strange feeling that the Habs may surprise us all…then again maybe not.

26. HabsFan1111 says:

Am I crazy or was Engqvist not listed at 6’4″ last time he was up (and on the BDogs site)??? An inch or two fine, but a 3 inch drop?

27. So the Habs are officially in the Eastern cellar… when did that last happen, I wonder.

• G-Man says:

Habs have 3 games in hand over Carolina and 1 game on Buffalo.
      The chant rises in the Bell Centre stands: “We’re not the worst! We’re not the worst!”

28. chemic says:

its Engqvist really the only guy we could bring up? that Engqvist who got raped on the ice by Orpik should be an answer against most scarried unit in this league….yikes

29. habsfan0 says:

During last night’s State of the Union address, Barack Obama didn’t mention a word about Tim Thomas.

Now Thomas is REALLY upset.

30. habs03 says:

hypothetical would you guys sign player X, for 2 years 5M per this summer?
    He has scored 37 goals in 80 games in 9-10
    He scored 32 goals in 87 games in 10-11

Scores almost all of his goals in front of the net, literally almost all of them, but he isn’t big…

• shiram says:

Gionta is already under contract.

• habs03 says:

I was looking at all his goals, man its crazy how most of them are just around the net. Everyone says its a bad contract, but I think 5M for a guy that can score 30 goals is just fine.

• shiram says:

20 points in 25 playoffs games too, including 12 goals.
          He sure can produce, and he did so playing with Gomez too.
          I think people dislike or want to trade Gionta because of his size, but he is a good player, and with the changes made to the Habs, he can definately have a place on the team.
          A good vet to have on a team, for sure.

• LA Loyalist says:

DD is doing his job for far less money, we can only afford one Smurf ™

It’s like food poisoning, nothing personal on Gionta, be we have to flush out everyone associated with the Bob “the builder” rebuild for the healing to truly begin.

You know it’s true.

• shiram says:

You make no arguments for your conclusion though.
            So, I know it’s not true.
            DD is also a center, and definately not a goal scorer, they don’t compare in the way they play the game.

• hab1970 says:

So does this mean we scream OBAMA OBAMA and Tim Thomas will get irritated and be off his game…..

• habsnyc says:

if he was under thirty it would be a great idea. but chances are if this hypothetical player was 32-33 years old and not an elite HOF player, their production would decline by at least 30% and they would be more susceptible to injury. also i’d look if this player could do more that shoot, could they set-up teammates or were 70% of their points from goals.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

31. SPATS says:

Funny now how Enqvist seems average size on our roster when earlier this year he was ‘big’ also nice to see he’s producing to the tune of #2 in scoring when he spent a fair chunk of the schedule here early in the year (then again Palushaj and Leblanc also had their time here) Anyone know who’s #1?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• Kooch7800 says:

Palushaj is actually playing pretty well in Hamilton and is showing a lot more grit than he used too. Enqvist never impressed me in the past and even earlier this year but i have seen a couple of bulldogs games since and he has stepped up his game quite a bit and is playing some good hockey. Hopefully he has a good showing tonight

32. HFX-HabFan says:

Tonight is the type of game that we end up winning. Not saying we will win, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

The Wings come in here on a ridiculous hot stretch, and we’re at the bottom of the barrel. Then all of a sudden we pull a game out of nowhere where we totally outplay the elite team and beat them handily.

33. SeanMalone says:

I believe the reason Engqvist is called over LeBlanc is it makes for less drama when he gets sent down before next game….plus they could be showcasing him a little for the trade deadline.

~I never said it. Honest.~

• habs03 says:

I think it has more to do with fact that Engqvist has been playing amazing since being called down.

Also I honestly don’t think PG gives a rats a** about the media.

• Sean Malone says:

True I agree PG doesn’t give a crap, but I know Molson does and probably said let’s keep the drama 2 a minimum.

Yes, Engqvist has been playing really good … “amazing” a little bit of a stretch … either way that’s why they need to showcase him now before the trade deadline, because honestly LeBlanc will have the 3rd or 4th line centre job next year no question about it.

~I never said it. Honest.~

Showcasing Engqvist? Seriously?

• Sean Malone says:

yes, I believe he would be valued as a part of a package deal. A lot of teams require a good 3rd line checking centre depth. Habs already have enough no2/3 centres in the system, they need a true no.1 as they have for the last 10+ years.

~I never said it. Honest.~

• TomNickle says:

He’s an undrafted player who is slow, doesn’t check and has limited offensive skills that produce slightly above average numbers in the AHL.

If he’s part of any future deal, it’s as a project or throw in, there should be no expectations of him in terms of development.

The notion of showcasing a player on your 4th line is unbelievable.

• christophor says:

He’s scored 13 goals in 27 games and is almost a point-per-game player. You do the math on how that projects over a season. He’s also got a Gorges-type plus/minus on a terrible team.

He and Palushaj have been impressive in the A since sucking with the big boys earlier. Good on them.

Schultz has even been good for a little while now. Might actually turn into a good 4th liner.

• powdered toastmann says:

Yes, Ive had that impression of late as well re both Engqvist and Shultz. Certainly no slam dunk in either case, but if nothing else, possibly a reminder to not let our first impressions run away with us, and that there is value (ala Maxpac) in keeping them down on the farm and not rushing them.

• third generation haber says:

Engqvist was called up to play 4t line minutes and perform 4th line duties. Leblanc is a first line player who needs to play 18 minutes a game, and does so….. in Hamilton.
      By the way, good on Engqvist for sticking it out and learning the N. American game. He could have gone back to Europe anytime he wanted.

j.p. murray

• Mattyleg says:

…or that Engqvist is a big body to play on the 4th line to replace Nokia and Moener, and LL is another kind of player altogether…?

• Sean Malone says:

Big Body? lol Engquist hits as much a Pleck’s. He more resembles Pleck’s playing style when he was breaking into the league. IMO, will be a reliable 3rd line / 2 way centre in the NHL in a couple years.

~I never said it. Honest.~

Did I say that he hit?
          I said that he is a big body. Which is true.
          He is adapting to the NA style, and I’m ready to be impressed.
          I might not be, but I’m ready.

• powdered toastmann says:

Yeah, it’s frustrating when we have a big-bodied prospect that seems reluctant, or doesn’t have the natural urge to hit. (especially when this trait is a much needed one in the organization.)

• Gerry H says:

It’s a role thing. Remember who’s being replaced: Travis Moen.

34. Les Canayens says:

The way I see the recent PK/Ladouceur feud, if you can call it one, is that the coaching staff knows too well how Mike Babcock (or any other coaches) will use videos to reveal the Habs’ weaknesses in order to exploit them. And the most obvious thing to do is to put pressure on PK in his defensive zone and he’ll most likely make a unsuccessful out of the zone clearing or pass despite his skills.

Now I don’t know what drill he admittedly “screwed up”, but if it involves improving his out of the d-zone plays, the yelling and screaming were there merely as a mean to instill and hardwire the instructions into his mental decision making part of his brain. Since he does not appear to be the “do as I’m told” type of player, and is intelligent enough to argue with the coach (and deflect gotcha questions from the media), the coaches have no choice but to do it the hard way to alter certain aspects of his game.

I’m glad he takes it the, right, way. I mean who hasn’t been yelled at during the early stages of their jobs career?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• Mattyleg says:

I was yelled at and it broke me.
      Completely ruined my confidence, and I never regained it.
      Now I sit around in my Forever Lazy staring wistfully at the Wal-Mart greeter badge that I know I’ll never wear again…

• Les Canayens says:

Haha such inconsiderate customers.

On the other hand if that greeter job pays you at least $500,000 just for showing up your confidence will be begging you to take it back even if your big city Wal-Mart demote you to the Hamilton branch. (sorry, no union to get you a one way contract)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• G-Man says:

Left behind on that giant pile of Greeter Refuse? No worries, you can work for Zellers.

35. Mattyleg says:

Gooooodmorningeverybody!
    I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to tonight’s tilt.
    It should be a doozy.

I gots a question for you all:
    So the Wings lucked out with some late-drafted superstars and due to their recent dynasty, have been able to attract some good players.

On top of that, they’ve been able to turn has-beens like Bertuzzi and never-weres like Ian White (!) into effective players. Personally, I think it’s witchcraft, but then again that’s just me. Don’t tell anyone, or I’ll get cat-blood thrown on me by some old woman in a Detroit jersey this afternoon and I’ll be dragged to hell.

But here’s the ponderer for yez all:
    Once Lidstrom and Datsyuk and Zetterburg and The Mule get old (which I’ve been expecting them to do for the last decade or so, but once again — *spits through circle made with thumb and index finger*) what happens to the Red Wings?
    Do they have enough youth in the system? They’ve got The Great Abdicator, and The Flipper, but apart from them, who are their kids, and what will they have left in the tank once the Big Three (or Four, or Five) skate off to The Shady Acres Rink For The Elderly?

Anyone?

• cuzzie says:

They have a great management group. They are good at evaluating talent and are patient with their young studs.

Mr. Bad Example!

• Mattyleg says:

I know, and agree (that it’s witchcraft), but that wasn’t my question, cuz.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Teemu Pulkkinen. The kid was at one point mentioned in the same breath as Taylor Hall as a potential first overall pick in 2010. He got hurt in his draft year and his stock dropped to the point where the Wings snagged him up in the third or fourth round (I really wish we would have taken a flyer on him in the third round that draft…it figures that Detroit would get him). He was once considered to be the next Teemu Selanne.

• Mattyleg says:

So they’ve got one possibility.
            I just get the feeling that once these guys are gone, the Detroit boat will have flown, if you get my drift.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

No doubt good fortune in how those plays turned out, but you can’t just call it luck. You make your own luck, and the Wings scouts did a good job of finding and analyzing the abilities those players could potentially provide.

Good on em, but lets beat em.

• AndyF says:

Detroit’s “luck” is a bit of a myth. They draft well in the later rounds and their pro scouting is excellent. And… their player development is exceptional.

Players arrive in the NHL only after they’ve matured:
      Datsyuk -> 22 years old
      Zetterberg -> 22 years old
      Franzen -> 26 years old
      Lidstrom -> 22 years old
      Filpua -> 22 years old

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but what about my question?

• AndyF says:

They, unlike the Habs, will probably go through the natural rebuild cycle when that happens. The Habs will fight it and always remain so-so. Habs will get a Cup from a “fluke” year.

• Mattyleg says:

So you say that the Wings will finish last, or second-to-last and start again?

• AndyF says:

(Sorry, answering your last question here because the web page doesn’t have a “Reply” button after 3 indents.)

They (Detroit) will at least allow their players to mature before bringing them up. They will continue to count on excellent pro and amateur scouting from Hakan Andersson on the other side of the pond.

If that means they drop down in the standings, then they’ll probably allow themselves to do it. What you won’t see is the Wings finishing 17th-24th in the overall standings. That, I can assure you, you won’t see.

• ed lopaz says:

tomas tatar looks like the real deal – he is developing nicely
      ready for full time duty now, but being held back by detroit’s cautious approach

brendan smith looks like he will become a solid NHL defenceman
      ready for NHL next season

the upside of a 6’2 tomas jurco is very scary. I’ve watched him for 3 seasons at St John Sea Dogs, and his skills could definitely make him someone to watch BIG TIME in the near future.

Check it out for yourself.

Go to

and then if you go to

you get an updated stat of every prospect and where they are playing

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm. I wonder about them.
        Detroit also has the luxury of having a good team that they can bring youth into slowly and integrate into the team psyche.

Damn their eyes!

• third generation haber says:

The wings scout better than anyone in the league. And when they’re not busy drafing elite talent they are busy drafting, or acquiring big players who skate well (same philosophy in N.J.). U dont’ need a high draft position or big payrole to do this, these versatile big guys are bountiful, and the habs need more of them. Imagine a bottome six consisting of six players over six feet and 200 pounds who skate well and finish their checks! Our lack of size in the top six wouldn’t be such an issue anymore!

j.p. murray

• ont fan says:

Management..it took Devallano 8 yrs of misery to right the ship.believe me,we could walk in there game day and get lower bowl tickets with Canadian money at par..started to win with Murray and then got Bowman..they will be a good team as long that group is together..winning breeds winning

• Mattyleg says:

What group? Management or players? Because the players are on their way out, like I said.

• ont fan says:

Illich,Holland Wilson,Nill..they will always get a shot at free agents, look at the Tigers, and they develope their draft choices. Illich is a great owner and will find a way to get players to come and stay. He takes his time finding the best coaches for his teams. He treats them first class.

• Seps says:

I thought the same thing almost 10 years back when they were losing, Hull, Stevie Y, Shannahan, Chelios and Fedorov, but look at them now. Im sure once again theyll be fine.

#failfornail

36. petefleet says:

If I remember correctly, the last time DET handed MTL their own *ss, St. Patrick was still playing for them. In recent history, the Habs have held their own against the “mighty” Redwings. I think back to last year when the Habs couldn’t buy a win and in shortb order beat up on both VAN and DET in the same week.

Should be a good game. Engqvist will not look out of place.

Go Habs Go.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• ed lopaz says:

last time I saw Engqvist he looked slow and soft – not a good combination.

maybe he has improved his foot speed.

maybe he will show a quicker first step.

but the fact that Gauthier handed him the 4th line center job in the summer – by not going out and signing someone bigger, more aggressive and more experienced,

is one of Gauthier’s poorest decisions.

I would rather see leblanc as the 4th line center – but I don’t think the Bell faithful want Leblanc to play 4-8 minutes tonight, so no sense in aggravating the paying public.

by the way, detroit wins consistently because they have:

1) a balanced lineup

2) an experienced coach that plays to win.

for my money, Babcock is hands down the best coach in the NHL.

also – just to stir the pot a bit –

I heard Francois Gagnon suggest that a “coach like Babcock”, even though he is not Francophone, would probably be “acceptable” here in Montreal.

• TomNickle says:

Engqvist is not and unless he improves dramatically will not be an NHL player.

Has a great brain for the game but lacks the talent necessary to be an NHL player. Think Darche with a lesser work ethic.

• Mattyleg says:

He would, because he went to McGill, and proably has a basic understanding of French.
        And Montrealers are pretty forgiving of fellow Montrealers (or Montrealers-by-proxy).

• powdered toastmann says:

All 3 of you guys are correct in my book (for what it’s worth)

37. AndyF says:

Engqvist is one of those players I’d like to see a bit more of. Weber… not so much.

At the risk of trying to use a teabag for a 2nd or 3rd time, I really liked Stu Hackel’s article on the Tim Thomas decsion not to attend the White House.

Also, there is the remote possiblity that Timmy got mixed up and thought they were going for chicken and ribs at the White House restaurant in Winnipeg.
    And didn’t feel like making the trip.

• Mats Naslund says:

I don’t care if he hates the government. I just think if you’re going to make some political stand – say something about it.

What was his point? That the founding fathers “vision for ther Federal Government” had been corrupted. I’m fairly certain that group of slave owning, elite-class, 18th Century political leaders would have very little problem with a government run by the richest people in the country using their wealth to exploit the political process.

If you’re going to take a stand – at least have something to say. Otherwise you look like a Glenn Beck puppet who knows he’s supposed to be angry about the government because FOX media tells him to be, but can’t come up with a coherent thought if given an afternoon to ponder.

Mmmm. That’s thin tea…
      ;)

39. price365 says:

if the Habs come to play. they’ll give Detroit a good run. the Habs are not as bad as their record.

40. smiler2729 says:

Detroit Red Wings.

Be afraid.

They’re going to have their way with the Habs.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

41. Remember when?

Just imagine if this happens tonight with All-star goalie Carey Price in nets and soon to be All-star Defenceman in PK Subban being on the ice for all Red Wings goals.

Could this repeat itself again tonight?

Red Wings Destroy Patrick Roy in Montreal 11-1 – YouTube

42. Grumpyoldhab says:

Well, the broons had their big day at the White House minus Tim Thomas of course. Maybe everyone is just being too critical of him.
    Perhaps he just has the hots for Sarah Palin. Although I can’t see her being interested in a guy whose nickname is Mr. Floppy.

43. Les Canayens says:

Here’s a interesting article about the moral feasibility of tanking to get a high draft pick:

Some excerpts:

“Here’s another thing a lot of people don’t realize when they suggest a team tank the season. Unless you deliberately fill your roster with sub-par players, you’re never going to be able to do it because the players and coaches who put their reputations on the line every time they perform couldn’t care less about the prized prospect the team will get next season.”

” And there’s always the chance that the Hockey Gods will smite you with a case of the Daigles should you lose on purpose.”

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

44. Phil C says:

For all you tankites, the buzzards may be circling, last rites are being administered, but it’s not quite time to call the “time of death” on the season. Next week they have three 4-point games in a row against teams just ahead of them. They have to win those games in regulation. If they don’t, Mr. Gauthier can get his “for sale” sign out and you can start drooling over prospects. The Habs still have some fight left, even if they are starting to look like the Black Knight. “It’s just a flesh wound” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

45. Bigdawg says:

It’s funny how people think the Wings will destroy the Habs tonight. Not necessarily! though it may be too early, soon you will see teams more or less comfortable in the fact they will make the playoffs take their foot off the gas a little.

Also you will see teams desperate to make the playoffs take it up a notch a play playoff style hockey. A little later on, teams with no chance will no longer feel pressure to win and will possibly play a little looser, a little better than before.

The really dangerous teams that will play tough against the Habs moving forward will not be the detroits, flyers and rangers but rather the Leafs, panthers, jets and devils.

• TomNickle says:

Got any recent examples of teams taking their foot off of the gas late in the year because they’re in a playoff spot?

• Bigdawg says:

What like you want me to do a study – find like 5 teams high in the standings that have a lower winning percentage from like game 60-75 than they do for the first 50? Can you do that for me Tom? Thanks!

• TomNickle says:

Hey BigDawg, I’m just making the point that your argument of teams taking their foot off of the gas in January or February is foolish.

The only example I can think of is the Penguins resting key players for their very last regular season game and that was more than two years ago. Their foot didn’t come off of the gas until April by the way.

• Bigdawg says:

this is why i said “it may be a little early.” resting vets with less minutes, bringing up young one to test them out – playing backup goalies more, these are the kinds of things you will see the wings and other dominating teams doing soon (maybe not now but soon) especially when not playing against other top tier teams.

I think we will see some teams do this soon like around the 60 game mark. In April, they will turn on the gas some to go into the playoffs on a win streak and playing at a high level.

• TomNickle says:

I know what you said. It’s just wrong. Teams don’t let up until they have clinched their seed or can no longer control their own destiny. That doesn’t happen with teams in playoff spots until the final handful of games, if that.

I’m sorry, your prediction is bogus. It doesn’t happen.

• Derek2 says:

Except that Wings have their own motivation…to put some distance between themselves and second place in the Western Conference. Love the Habs and hope for the best . But fully expect the Wings will dispatch us tonight with workman like efficiency. I think that was a phrase M. Boone or M. Hickey used to describe a game between the Wings and us last year or the year before.

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

46. TomNickle says:

How do you tank? Step by step version.

1. You start playing Budaj two out of every fives games.
    2. You trade Chris Campoli and give Yannick Weber his place on defense.
    3. You trade Tomas Plekanec.
    4. You tell Andrei Markov to sit out the entire season.
    5. You start distributing icetime more evenly. Like taking five minutes off of Subban’s icetime and giving it to Gill or Kaberle.

And that my friends is how this team tanks.

• habs03 says:

I think that sends the wrong msg to the players. I think as a coach and player, you try your best to win every game, and that means playing Price regularly. But like you said, you trade off assets like Gill,Moen,Campoli, and A.Kost if you don’t plan to resign him and you bring up young guys. The line-up would be good young and inexperienced to win anyway.

I disagree about sitting out Markov. I think we need to see in the last 25 or so games, what type of D-men Markov is, going forward.

And disagree big time of moving Plek, he is an ideal 2nd line centre on a good contact. He only takes up 7.8% of the cap, and that should get even lower once the cap goes up. And he is good for about 55-65 points along with good defensive play.

• TomNickle says:

We have differeing opinions on a couple of things. The first one being that $5 million annually for a second line centre is a good contract. But then again, our 4th line centreman is making close to $8 million so let’s not split hairs there.

This team is actually in the league’s upper echelon with Markov in the lineup. I wouldn’t want to see him ruin a chance at Yakupov by playing well down the stretch.

In addition to these points of argument, 7.8% of your cap for a second line player isn’t good management when you roster 23 players. It’s okay, but it isn’t good. It’s not as if they’re stealing his services which by the way haven’t been anywhere near good this season.

This notion of keeping Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller and drafting in the top 3 is ludicrous. You can’t keep all three if you’re going to take Yakupov or Grigorenko. Eller has a higher offensive ceiling than Plekanec and Desharnais is steadily improving and actually been close to an equal contributor this season when compared with #14.

• TomNickle says:

And another point of interest. Francois Gagnon and others have been adamant that you need to trade value to acquire value. And that because of this, Price, Subban and Pacioretty should be the logical choices to trade. I say that’s way too zealous. If you want to acquire value. Trade your overpaid value like the Philadelphia Flyers did. Make Plekanec available, make Markov available, Kaberle, Gionta, Kostitsyn. All good players with good value on the trade market when healthy.

No need to ship out Price or Subban to acquire value. We have value on this team even though several people don’t see it.

• habs03 says:

What happens if you trade Plek, somehow still find ways to win games, and end up picking at number 6-7. And have a huge hole. I don’t mind taking Plek.Gionta,Kaberle for picks and prospect, if we were fully rebuilding, but its clear that the teams is looking to retool, and if you plan on retooling this offseason and hoping to content next season, Ex 07 Flyers, you need to keep Gionta,and Plek and add what you think is missing.

• TomNickle says:

Why do you need to keep Plekanec and Gionta? Don’t get me wrong, they are two of my favourite Habs players. But Eller is improving every day and Desharnais has shown enough that he can be counted on as a second line centre. Realistically, we have two second line centremen in Eller and Desharnais. Plekanec is better defensively yes, but does it justify the extra $4 million he makes and make the Habs plans for acquiring talent for the future reworked because he’s untradebale? I don’t think so. If you need to move talent to acquire talent, he in my opinion, is the most expendable.

• habs03 says:

I don’t see DD and Eller being you top 2 centre of a team that plans on contending next season. DD is a marginal 2nd line centre, and while he and Eller might be legit 2nd line centre in the future, they need time. Another thing is what do you plan on getting for Plek, what do you think you will get for him, you seem to just want to dump him for anything? IMO what we need to do is find a true number 1C, whether its thru a trade or draft. and Plek will be just fine as the number 2C.

• TomNickle says:

Plekanec and Mike Fisher are two of the best comparables you can come up with. Nashville gave up a 1st round pick and a conditional 3rd that could’ve turned into a 2nd. Or a 2nd that could have turned into another 1st. I don’t remember exactly.

The point remains that Plekanec while valuable doesn’t offer the ceiling that Price and Subban do, and if you have to trade value to acquire the pieces needed to be a Cup contender, Plekanec should be moved before Subban or Price.

As for Eller and Desharnais being marginal #2 centremen. Desharnais will finish the year somewhere around 50 points and we don’t know where Eller will end up. But it’s clear he’s becoming an excellent player at a very young age. No reason to think he can’t be a #2 centre at the very least.

• habs03 says:

Again, the 1st and possible 2nd/3rd round pick you would get for Plek would not be what the Habs would be looking to get if they wanted to contend next season. I agree overall that if you had to trade one of Price,Subban,Eller,DD,Plek, Plek would be the person to trade, but if you want to win next season, anytrade of Plek needs to be part of another move to find a a replacement.

• Kooch7800 says:

IMO they should be resting Carey more and playing Budaj. It would probably be good for both goalies.

Only problem with playing PK less is he would probably play better lol but you are right if Kabby gets more ice there will be more goals against.

I think I accepted that this team was in dire streits this season when they made that deal.

• TomNickle says:

I actually like the Kaberle deal. A lot of people don’t and I understand their reasons. But having watched Kaberle since he’s been in Montreal, he hasn’t been a liability defensively. Not often anyway. More minutes could expose more risk but as it stands he’s been good in front of the net. He’s never been good in the corners and I don’t think that’s been expected of him. But, he’s cleared the crease fairly well and done his job admirably considering the mess he came into.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You also trade Gill, Mpen and AK and call up St.Denis, Leblanc and Enqvist for the rest of the season.

Your rookies get NHL experience (better than the AHL believe it or not), and you get to lose a lot of games.

This Grigorenko fellow will do just fine.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

Exactly my point. If you’re going to acquire a #1 centreman in the draft, Plekanec is very expendable. And I’d like to offer a suggestion or question. How unreasonable is the promise of acquiring a 1st round pick for Plekanec and then having two first round picks to position yourself in the top 2 of the draft should you not acquire one through the lottery? And by that I mean, say finishing with the 7th-10th overall pick and acquiring a 15-25 pick for Plekanec. Then you can make a resonable move like trading both of those picks for the 1st or 2nd overall pick. Makes sense to me.

• SteverenO says:

1. The team can win with Budaj
      2. Exchanging Weber for Campoli will not make any significant difference. We will score a bit less, 5 on 5 but also give up less goals.
      3. Plekanec is having hiw worst year as a hab. He is a minus 12 on teh season, and in fact is 5 on 5 numbers are almost identical to Gomez.
      4. Would that be considered tanking? The guy hasn’t played in two years, and no one knows if he is able to play
      5. BINGO. Improper ice time distribution is tantamount to tanking.
      That’ s the reason we had to fire Martin. Unfortunately, RC went to the same school. Playing Gomez on the PP, is but one example.

One could argue that we already started tanking, playing with 7 defensemen .

regards,

SteveO.

47. RiverviewCanadien says:

Gomez scores tonight and the team goes on a crazy winning streak, becoming inspired by his ability to score on the best team in hockey.

Ok, not very likely, but that is what I am hoping.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Great positive attitude. Habs win tonight, and I guarantee they won’t lose for another 5 nights.

Sure Detroit’s the best team in the league, but they’re only .500 on the road. I know the Habs’ home record isn’t the greatest, but my sports gut says they’ll show up tonight.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• citizenSanto says:

your tankard looks like it’s half full.

—————————————
      Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
      — Augustine of Hippo

48. kirkiswork says:

I read a lot of talk about “tanking”, how exactly do you go about.
    Do you ask the players to go out ther and not try ?
    Do you ask the goalies to let in the soft ones ?
    Does the coach stay in the bathroom during the game.
    Don’t score when you have a chance.
    I am all for getting a good draft pick but I can’t see tanking as a viable option.

• G-Man says:

It isn’t. Edmonton has sucked for years. Look at where they are in the standings with all their high draft picks. Columbus, too.

• HardHabits says:

It’s pretty easy. Just double shift Gomez, use him in all situations, PP, PK, in the shoot-out…

Over work Price. Sign a bunch of under sized defence men. Sign a bunch of undersized free agents.

The only thing keeping the Habs from tanking so far has been the goal tending, which has been unsustainable. The Habs have regressed to their mean, which as constructed is the cellar in the standings.

• RH says:

You can only “tank” if your team is very bad. In other words, the worst team in the league is usually that for a reason. The Habs aren’t that bad despite their position in the standings and I couldn’t see these guys just throwing in the towel every game from here on out.

• TomNickle says:

You call up Engqvist instead of Leblanc.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Great questions. It isn’t a viable option.

The players (and their agents), the coaches, the front office, and the owner’s are way too interested in their own bank accounts to tank.

As an average Joe, with an average job, working for an average company. If someone told me to stop doing my job properly for the long-term prospects of the company, but my lack of productivity would negatively impact my income (either by my current employer or the competition) and perhaps lose my job/career. No, thanks – I’ll try my best and hope to catch the competitions’ eye (i.e. cheque book).

The players at this level are not conditioned to lose. If they were, they wouldn’t be where they are.
      _______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think you lose on purpose, but one thing you do is trade your players for picks at the deadline, rather than the other way round.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

49. 365fan says:

I would like to know what kind of a spell Gomez has cast over Montreal coaches, management, and media. As we approach the one year anniversary of his last goal, the lazy, indifferent play, passes to nowhere, and deathly fear of the front of the net continue. If there is anyone the coaches should be “calling out” it is him. I suspect that the media think that he is a Spacek-like “good guy” and therefore go easy on him – much easier to buy into the rest of the league’s dislike for PK and gang up on him.

Because of Gomez’s uselessness we have basically been operating at a salary cap of 7 plus million dollars a year less than every other team. Is it any wonder that we have iced such pathetic third and fourth lines this year when money that could be used to supply depth and size is instead tied up in him. He appears to be happy with a good performance every 10th game or so, as if to satisfy himself that he still has it. Meanwhile, PK, who has been making some mistakes but also has been doing the heavy lifting all year gets the goat horns.

Way to go.

50. SmartDog says:

I forgot about Engqvist. Man we have a lot of Centers! That’s a good thing!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

51. Vladdy Mondavi says:

The Montreal Canadiens organization should have a better 5,10-year outlook/plan for hiring coaches then they have demonstrated in the last 5.

With that being said, they should trade McGill Alum Darche to Detroit. Darche eventually retires as a Red Wing, does a few years as a scout or front office job and then gets hired by Habs as Head Coach in 8-10 years.
    Educated, francophone, (soon-to-be) former player that understands the game (despite his limited skill). That’s the type of coach the organization needs.
    Send him to Detroit to learn the winning ways – look what Yzerman did in one year with T-Bay (although they’ve regressed again) and MacLean has done with Ottawa this year.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

52. JohnBellyful says:

BOSTON – Full-time Boston Bruin goaltender and now part-time political pundit Tim Thomas says President Barack Obama is trying to “slew foot the rich” by insisting they pay at least 30 per cent of their income in taxes.
    “It’s another socialistic assault on America’s hardest working citizens by a foreign president who hates this country,” Thomas wrote in his new blog, Tim’s Interesting Thoughts. “Contrary to what Mr. Obamanal says, Washington is not subsidizing millionaires, it’s the other way around.”
    In his state of the union address delivered Tuesday night, Obama said his intention to change America’s tax code should not be interpreted as “class warfare” but an attempt to level the playing field for all income earners.
    “We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by,” the president said, “or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules.”
    “Fair shot?! More like a cheap shot … and as a Boston Bruin I know all about cheap shots,” Thomas blogged. “And everyone playing by the same set of rules? What fantasy world has be been living in? If he knew his hockey he wouldn’t be spouting such nonsense. And people wondered why I didn’t go to the White House!”
    Thomas woodchopped Obama’s pledge to narrow the gap between the rich and poor, saying parity has never worked wherever it’s been tried.
    “Pretty soon they’ll hold a national draft in which bankrupt lowlifes get to pick 1,000 shares for free from America’s best-run corporations,” Thomas stated, “and we’ll still end up with John Q. Islanders and Jane Doe Oilers draining the economy.”
    Thomas said he launched Tim’s Interesting Thoughts to give himself a pulpit to espouse his political views on a daily basis.
    “The career of an athlete is short but the spotlight we’re given is huge so why not use it while we can, to advance causes we believe in. What the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches of government have done to this great Country is criminal, and it’s time more Citizens spoke up while they’re still Free.”
    Last year’s Stanley Cup MVP said visitors to his blog can expect to see such pithy insights as “All politicians are whores but the Democrat ones are real skanks” and “Environmentalists are Stupid: What good is clean air, earth and water if you don’t have a Job?”
    Thomas said his adopted role as champion of the oppressed affluent is no different from what he does for living. “I see myself as guarding the net of Rights and Freedoms against the puck of Progressive Liberalism.”
    Thomas vowed he’ll use every means possible to get across his message, such as having the Constitution inscribed on his goalie pads, and Tea Party images painted on his helmet. (The first artist he commissioned “misheard” the instructions he was given and took as his inspiration the tea party scene from Alice in Wonderland.)
    The goaltender’s controversial statements produced an immediate backlash. A group of left-leaning sports fans have set up their own blog, That A#%$hole Thomas, to rebut Tim’s Interesting Thoughts.
    “TAT for TIT,” a spokesman for the group said.

• Cardiac says:

What a maroon… Who does he think he is? The Toby Keith of the NHL?

– Jerry Maguire

• habs178 says:

I’ve looked for said “interesting thoughts” blog, to no avail. Wish you would’ve put up a link to it.

“To disbelieve is easy; to scoff is simple; to have faith is harder”
      ~ Louis L’Amour
      I’ve got the faith!

Nice morning read, thanks John.

• G-Man says:

TIT? Too rich! This parallel universe thing you have going makes me think you should write for “Fringe.” :D

• JohnBellyful says:

Let me take this opportunity, G-Man, to offer my congratulations to the Giants for their inspired play and I wish them all the best in the Super Bowl. They deserve to be there.
        [It took me until yesterday to accept the Packers are out of the playoffs.]

• boing007 says:

i guess Terrible Timmy considers himself one of America’s hardest working citizens. Glenn Beck probably feels the same. Funny.

Richard R

53. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

So I took the time to read “The Game” again a couple weeks ago. Funny how team roles have reversed in the 30 years since it was published. A power house Canadiens team had a hard time getting ready for the lame duck Wings. I’d imagine the same awkward perparation is happening today, with the Wing’s knowing what they have to do to be successful, but still having a hard time getting ready to go against a weaker team just before a long break.

____________________________________________________
    Dear Mtl Canadiens,
    Please beat Boston to tie the season series. You are about to cost me three bottles of rum in a little over a year.
    Love,
    Michael

54. DorvalTony says:

So Sol is Liberal. Big surprise there. Now… is Melnick NDP or Gliberal?

——————————————————————

Patrick Roy says the Habs should not just write off this season but should in fact tank to go for a star player like Grigorenko.

6 teams in the East are more than likely assured a spot in the play-offs, with another 3 possibly 4 fighting for the last two spots. The Habs are not one of them.

The Habs; 10 points out of the play-offs, 2 points out of the draft lottery.

Time to tank.

56. Le Jadester says:

I wonder why they didn’t bring up Louie again ?

Habs, OLE !

• BeeGee says:

Engqvist is tearing it up in the A and they probably want a centerman… Louis is playing mostly RW if I’m not mistaken.

• Le Jadester says:

Ya I read he was doing well lately in the Hammer.
        But for some reason I thought Louie was a centermen too ?
        I know he played wing when he was up with the big team but I thought I heard they were grooming him for centre ?

Habs, OLE !

57. Mad Habber says:

*When former coach Jacques Martin ended his silence over his firing, he uncharacteristically suggested that Subban was a selfish player.

I don’t understand why Martin was given a job after this. He might be a great hockey mind but I think this should shut the door on him.

*Subban and Ladouceur engaged in an animated and very public discussion after his turnover led to a goal Friday night in Pittsburgh. Subban took the heat for the mistake although head coach Randy Cunneyworth said there should have been more support for an outlet pass.

Gomez did the same with Cunneyworth, yet hardly a peep about it. If the media wants to drive someone out of town, why not the overpriced, under preforming vet? Oh yeah he has played two good games in the last year. Better pick on the young guy with talent, we can’t have that playing for the Habs. Goodness, why would we want them to win? We sell more papers when they lose.

*The Gazette’s Jack Todd said it was time for Subban to be “called out” and when respected La Presse columnist Francois Gagnon offered scenarios for rebuilding the Canadiens, he wondered aloud whether it would be a good time to trade Subban for a significant asset.

Yawn good for Gagnon, glad he isn’t the Habs GM.

• Le Jadester says:

JM was a selfish coach.

Habs, OLE !

• Ton says:

Do you understand when he speaks> Gagnon that is? He is very intelligent and doing his job. PK is making a name for himself and its not all good. Ask his teammates> until he grows up (in time he will for he is young) he will continue to have these problems that are self inflicted!

58. habsguru says:

why is it, that every time there is a stink in the media, Francois Gagnon is around??? just listened to him on tsn radio, and he sound like a politician in damage control. he should not be given an audience.

• BeeGee says:

Agreed. I think this guy was bullied in school… always playing the victim and constantly putting himself in that situation.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I see him more as an excitable puppy dog.

The most egregious one yesterday was Pierre Lebrun from ESPN saying that he’d been told PK was “available”, by which he meant that he isn’t actually available but one GM wishes he was.

Tremendous reporting Pierre.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• BeeGee says:

Certainly he has excitable puppy dog in him, lol!
          But he’s really got this weird sado-masochist relationship with his readers (blog and twitter) where he clearly looks for conflict and then inevitably turtles when the sh*t hits the fan…
          I don’t see any serious journalists answer their critics so often or so publicly.
          On top of that he’s a frustrated Nordique fan turned Sens fan.. so he’s totally unreliable regarding the habs.

• JayBee says:

He should not be allowed anywhere near the Habs.

• JUST ME says:

Francois Gagnon is pathetic and is an example of the ¨trash the habs¨ ambiance in the medias that has been around since Bertrand Raymond and Rejean Tremblay were removed from the Habs planes 30 years ago as were all the other journalists except the broadcasters. Seeing how many reporters follow the team you can say that the Habs were visionnaires in a way and made the good choice.

Gagnon is awkwardly trying to explain his trash this morning and does not deserve to be defended. He is a negative element around the team and if he pretends to be neutral the team should then treat him as is …Why do you think there are boring press conferences after each game stating the same pre-conceived sentences ? Because the reporters cannot be trusted it`s that simple ! So in that sense the shot themselves in the foot and they deserve what they get.

For once i think we should take advantage of the situation and make sure that Gagnon and lookalikes get the message and chill out for good .

• gmur says:

I agree. Gagnon is like the pyromaniac that starts fires and then claims innocence when people arrive to put them out. He too often has to defend his position as being objective… when people like Martin are in front of him, he has a way of back-tracking and warming up to them that is a bit too much.

He depends on people’s short-term memories so he can make claims, then backpedal and readjust his position into something that is defendable, depending on the audience. It takes skill, I’ll give him that.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve read all the articles about Tim Thomas, and they all fall short of the mark. Sure it was selfish, sure it was his right, but that is missing the point.

The Tea Party formed in 2009, immediately after a black President was elected. These are the same people who said it was un-patriotic to criticize the commander in chief before 2008, when he was white and conservative.

The single common line of attack by all the Republicans: McCain, Gingrich, Romney, Palin … is that he Barack Obama is unAmerican – “not one of us”. In fact Gingrich calls his Presidency “an aberration.”. Yesterday the House Speaker John Boehner called Obama “unAmerican”. Romney wonders if Obama is addressing his speeches to the people of Kenya.

Why are the Bruins organization bending over backwards to say how strongly the object to Thomas’s decision? Because they know very well this isn’t just a disagreement over policies.

Ten years ago it was unthinkable that an African-American could become President of the Untied States. A lot of people wish it was still unthinkable today.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• JayBee says:

Great post. I agree with every word.

• G-Man says:

HF, let’s try to avoid being overly political on this site. I may agree with your thoughts on the subject, but we should be talking Habs…or Giants. ;)

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Au contraire, the same policies by any other (liberal) president would be unacceptable to conservatives. The same people making a big deal out of Thomas’ decision, if had have been Bush as president, would be lauding the player’s principled stand and saying that dissent is patriotic. The partisanship should not be surprising. The hypocrisy of the left never ceases since it’s all they’ve got.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Thanks for your considered input.

All the left have is hypocrisy.

Tremendous.

Just tremendous.

You, sir, are to reasoned debate what Scott Gomez is to putting pucks in the net.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No. Sorry. Obama is the Scott Gomez of politics. We decided that yesterday. The left does not debate. They repeat slogans, call people names like “teabaggers and KKK” and congratulate themselves on their natural superiority for merely holding the “right” opinion. I will debate and destroy your position any time you’d care to state what your position actually is. Other than smug, left wing, holier than thou hypocrisy, that is.

• powdered toastmann says:

Well stated, Tom Le Fan.

• Phil C says:

Interesting that the Bruins sat Thomas last night, and they lose to Washington 5-3. Trouble in the room perhaps? I saw a sound bite from Ference who seems to have left-leaning tendencies, so I wonder if this will hurt Boston more than we think. I really believe they are not an elite team without Thomas in nets, they come back to the pack quite a bit. An argument could be made to trade him while his stock is high because he can’t have that many good years left and Rask could be a number one, his hot-headedness notwithstanding.

• Derek2 says:

As a U.S. citizen, I wish it weren’t so. But I fear that it is. It may not be their entire objection to Pres. Obama, but I believe it is a huge piece of it.

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

60. Nine1one says:

Glad to see engvist succeeding in hamilton and hope he can make an impaxt up here

61. martincurran55 says:

Please lose tonight. Let’s “Fail for Nail.”

62. geo_habsgo says:

Also, do the copy editors skip over Hickey’s articles? The article on Subban was full of typos more so than usual. Good article though PK manned up and basically told the media to F**k themselves and to stop focusing on him. He’ll turn it around he is one of our best players even when he’s having a bad season!

• CranbrookEd says:

With PK playing his second year on a “regular” team in an average city, there would be no expectation that he walk on water and carry the entire team . . . the press and illogically press-fueled fans need to step back and let the guy develop . . . I would be willing to bet that his next season will be much “better” . . . if only the dark, stinky attitude soaked fans and media would lighten-up and put PK and the team into perspective when compared to daily life, effectively making playing in Montreal a positive experience, we might start heading into a better place with the ability to attract “star” players to want to play here . . .

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean!?

• CanadienBoy says:

Remembering went Gainey keep putting Price in net ,everybody was putting both of them down same with PK and he still play top min… againt the best line go figure

63. Dulljerk says:

In my opinion, this game will determine whether the Habs have the talent and grit to make the playoffs. They lose this one, and they won’t be there come playoff time.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• martincurran55 says:

“This Game.” Come on man. These guys were done a month ago. The Wings are going to destroy the Habs tonight. Why don’t all of us fans get on the same page for a rebuild and let go of this dream that they will make the playoffs this year.

Please lose tonight. Let’s “Fail for Nail.”

64. geo_habsgo says:

First!!!

65. Propwash says:

If the return was worth it, then no. If they were traded for crapshoot picks/prospects, then it’s a HUGE setback for the team.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

66. ont fan says:

Mclean said he would be calling the Habs immediately.You just can’t get young puck moving defencemen. He can and will be coached.

67. citizenSanto says:

they’re tough I’ll admit. But the Habs usually bring it for these games.
    Makes for some entertaining hockey.
    I can’t remember a game between these two teams that truly stank. ;-)

68. Furk says:

Remember Patrick Roy’s last game as a Hab. Can’t forget that one.

Size does matter! The Habs are a living example of that.

69. citizenSanto says:

what the Furk.
    how could I forget that game.
    still, i would have thought doubleH would love the habs to be in CBJ’s position.