Engqvist back to Hamilton, Halpern to return

The Canadiens returned Andreas Engqvist to the Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday, which likely means that Jeff Halpern will return to action on Tuesday in Philadelphia.

Engqvist played two games with the Canadiens, making his NHL debut on Friday in Ottawa.

Halpern missed the last two games after being injured against the Buffalo Sabres last Tuesday.

1. SmartDog says:

I don’t know whether to hate these rumours about Cami and Gomer being mad about being overlooked for the Captaincy or to be frustrated and alittle disguste at how they both played for the first half of the season.

One thing that stands in contrast is Plex.  Looked over as well, he has performed from the word go and not let up. He plays every game and every shift hard and doesn’t complain. His workmanlike attitude is to me, just what we want. Imagine Plex as Captain and PK and Gionta as Assistants.  Now THAT’s a leadership with balls.  I don’t think Gio has that Captain influence sadly,… though maybe he’ll grow into it.  He’s been better lately, so who knows, maybe he’s already started… I’d like to think so since I can’t see him being traded soon.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

2. shootdapuck says:

The guy is brilliant at generating website hits. He knows that anytime he needs a boost in hits he puts out something/anything about the Habs or the Laffs and bingo! (BTW its the end of the month for website accounting and he is obviously paying those Xmas bills)

3. shiram says:

It was good informative post indeed, can’t figure why it would be deleted.

4. toinz says:

It is so teams dont fumble the ball on purpose. The same rule applies if you fumble on 4th down. Only the fumbler can recover.

Otherwise, you could plan a fumble and move the ball forward. Thats why the ball is brought back to the spot of the fumble, unless its recovered behind the spot of the original fumble.

5. habstrinifan says:

I posted similar thoughts re youth movement .. and like you, I am delighted. DD has added nicely to this youth movement. I hope White is here to stay and continues the trend.

As for the PK/practice tussles. I really wish we had a captain like Henri Richard who would make the Canadiens.. to the last man… be a team in every sense.

I think Henri Richard is not given the credit for being one of the most passionately Canadiens canadien. With him it was team or nothing.

From the outside looking in I cant help but feel there is dissension, jealousy… especially among the verterans towards the youth. I dont know if P.K is a bad teammate or if he is just not liked because of him being ‘a fan darling’ or maybe any other ‘ugly’ reason

I also feel that there is definitely something irking Cammilieri, and that he is not part of the Gomez/Gionta brotherhood. I listened to Cammilieri reply to questions about his injuries and if you read between the lines he has decided to be his own man. He seems to operate in that vein for the season too. Something’s not right there and it is really unfortunate because Cammillieri seemed all set to become a true ‘star’ in Montreal and a big part of the future. Now there wont be a huge surprise if he is included in any trade.

I have posted many many times re Gomez’s smart Alecky comments being a hint not of an endearing personality but rather a ‘depthless’ one. And I am unsure of the ‘captaincy’ of Gionta so far. All he seems to be is a ‘company man’.

On more game related matters…..

I am glad we are playing the hot Flyers next. If we win it would have great positive effect on the team and take them through the ALL STAR break with good vibes. If we lose then it gives management/coaches a good ‘off period’ to assess what the team needs to match up against Phillies and similar teams for the palyoffs. No sense going to the dance without your best outfit.

And this is one of my concerns with JM. He has never coached his teams, including that in Ottawa, to go from the ‘take the points and count them’ toil of the regular season to ‘scale the wall’ gusto needed for the playoffs… last year’s palyoffs notwithstanding.

One last item. I have noticed that the team comes out of ‘long breaks’ particularly flat and unispired. I hope that JM makes some changes to whatever routines he has followed so this does not happen after the all star break.

The Tank Manoeuvre.

7. Chuck says:

Is this a pseudo-tanking post?   🙂

8. SeriousFan09 says:

2nd-round isn’t that much of a ‘pass’, Shea Weber and Duncan Keith were 2nd-round picks after all. 5’11” as he was at the time (although 6′ and built now) is not a popular height for a defencemen in the NHL to start with and a popular opinion was he was simply too offfensive, he’d be too much of a Marc-Andre Bergeron or Mike Green, that he would never properly grow his defence game. Subban proved them wrong of course but scouting is not an exact science.

9. _Habsoloutly_ says:

What I don’t understand is why other teams passed on PK?  I mean was he a late bloomer or something?  How could his skill not have been recognized?

10. fbkj says:

yeah but at the time it sucked… stupid leafs >:(

11. showey47 says:

Great article about michael bournival.

12. scrowe21 says:

Just watched the videos from the skills practice today..I dunno whats more suprising, Pacioretty being a faster skater than DD,Pyatt, and Subban. (with injured rib too) or Pouliot having the hardest shot at 102!

13. LA Loyalist says:

As this  this site is currently wonky, build your post in another program, even just e-mail, then cut n’ paste it. Stuff like that you may want to keep anyway. I will often email stuff to myself or save in drafts just to keep it in the cloud.

Good luck, you and I sometimes butt heads, but I respect anyone’s hard work and feel bad you lost it. 🙂 and hey, it’s unusual to see posters actually back things up and not just shoot their mouth off.

14. TripleX says:

Apparently Nabokov hung up the phone on Garth Snow, refusing to even talk to him.

15. LA Loyalist says:

Um, I’d be careful with that one… Rod Langway, Mark Recchi, Chris Chelios (though the reason was legit) Patrick Roy… the list is not pretty. You may want to edit slightly… that said, your underlying  point is accurate.

16. OneTimer says:

Man, if the playoffs started tomorrow, check out these match-ups:

1. Philadelphia vs 8. Atlanta

2. Tampa Bay vs. 7. Rangers

3. Boston vs. 6. Montreal

4. Pittsburgh vs. 5. Washington (!)

I think there’s possibility for upsets (c’mon Atlanta!), we’d be up against our no. 1 enemy who we’ve traditionally dominated in the playoffs, and best of all for a hockey fan, all the match-ups look fun. Thoughts?

EDIT: Okay…all of a sudden HI/O doesn’t like paragraph breaks

17. The Teacher says:

Engqvist impressed me. Fully expect to see him with the club next year.

18. Castor says:

Honest question: Has Eklund ever been right about anything?

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Did you know? Missing the 2007 NHL playoffs was good for the Montreal Canadiens, it had them in draft position to select P.K. Subban and Yannick Weber.

20. SmartDog says:

COUPLA THOUGHTS about our “younger” team:

– I like MaxPac more and more. It’s not the 2 goals, it’s his drive to score and soild play.

– They’re still learning but I think the youth movement is giving this team wings.  I think this is a serious factor in our good run this month. Glad Engvuist got some exposure.

– PK seems to get into a lot of tussles at practice doesn’t he?

– On the other hand, it seems that PK and Price get along well… which is a good thing.

Don’tcha almost feel like there’s a youth movement starting to take root and its the veterans who need to work with them or else?  That could be a good thing.

21. Say Ash says:

Football question: Near the end of the half, the Bears QB fumbled the ball and the ref whistled it dead when another Bear picked it up, saying inside the 2:00 mark, only the fumbler can recover. What’s the reasoning?

22. ABHabsfan says:

I agree 110%. Say YES to Dustin Penner, if possible

23. smiler2729 says:

Penner has a Gomezian contract.

24. SmartDog says:

I always had trouble believing in Murray.  Especially not after how he dealt with Heatley.

Team leadership is so important.  To me JM and PG are showing their conservative bent with the choices they make… who leads, who stays, who gets benched.  Obviously there are some good things going on but I always get this sense that some players are thriving despite how they’re treated. PK for example IS a leader and rookie or not, rough arond the edges or not, he deserves more respect for his contribution.

25. avatar_58 says:

Hypothetical – next year Darche is an UFA. Would you resign him? He’ll most likely take very little money simply to stay in the NHL on a team that uses him. Hell give em a slight raise too. I’d have no problem signing him for another 2 years or something at the same pay or slightly more.

I was one of the guys who thought he shouldn’t rob a youth spot, but you know what? He works hard and has EIGHT GOALS on a scoring-depraved team. That says a lot.

26. andrewberkshire says:

More like stupid Huet, and Carbo.

27. SmartDog says:

You’ve created a straw man.  That happens a lot on here.

If you want to talk teamwork and chemistry that’s MY language. The rookies don’t just bring ‘excitement’ and they are not going to ‘take control’.  They need to be treated according to their contribution and potential.  PK has shown that he can make a major contribution to this team. MaxPac is starting to show the same.  The team culture – and this is my point – HAS to shift and that’s a good thing.  And a concern since Martin and shifting…. and change.. I dunno… but i’m skeptical. I WANT the new Habs.  We NEED some young blood.  Guys like PK and MacPac have added much needed grit. Without them we’d be softer. Youth and veterans need to work together – it’s not just one that has to give.

28. fbkj says:

how about ryder, scoring hattricks in games where they dont contribute to a W

29. fbkj says:

what i said was more of a brainfart… i recall ryder scoring a hattrick that game… which like happened all the time with him… it was either a 1 clutch game winning goal (yay) or a hattrick in a losing effort… always struck me as bizarre… but yes huet sucked… why they played him i have no idea… halak was in a zone at that point

30. andrewberkshire says:

At least he contributed something though? Huet was godawful in that game. Man do I ever NOT miss Carbo as coach.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d be fine with that, solid energy player, won’t complain about sitting in the press box and is a good example to young players.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. fbkj says:

no doubt, but a 2 year same ballpark type of salary hes getting now has a lot more up to it then down, riskwise

33. andrewberkshire says:

I remember that about Ryder as well. Although he did me proud once. A friend of mine from NFLD was visiting Montreal and he’s a massive Leafs fans, took him to a game at the Bell Centre against the Laughs and Ryder scored a hat trick to win it, Raycroft got pulled, and it ruined my friend’s birthday. What a glorious evening that was.

34. Duracell3 says:

idk, the habs picked mcdonagh and patches before him, and hey, the blues picked eller. Quite a few very good players in the 40 before him, certainly some missed opportunities considering he was in the OHL, not  halak, datsyuk, markov sort of mistakes though.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

And after seeing him  Friday, I’d also say no to Chris Phillips.

36. ZepFan2 says:

Read this and thought of Ghostbusters. Gomer the Gomezian. lol

37. andrewberkshire says:

That’s definitely the game, because I remember Souray’s goal being the winner. I swear I remember Ryder getting a hatty but he didn’t. Oh well.

38. Sheldon says:

Same Old Jets!

39. RGM says:

Goaltending controversy in Montreal after Price shelled for 6 goals in the Red-White Metro Fan Practice scrimmage game. Everybody just chill out! LOL

40. Habnofear says:

First off ,Darche has been one of the Habs most consistent players who leads and does it by example. so why not give him more money?…every real good dog gets two bones! If not for Darche we would be bottom dwelling! He’s playing great and his career has got a few more good quality years,plus he’s a home grown Hero! Heck,Gomez ,Cammi and Gionta should be sharing their mega contracts with him!PUT A GOD DAM (A) ON THE MANS GEAR and grab his DNA for cloning……

41. fbkj says:

it was the raycroft getting pulled that stuck out for me cuz i remember laughing at a text while in the middle of times square… being said though, we all get ours wires crossed 😀

42. Cool Ice Price says:

DARNIT, We shouldn’t got rid of Halak.

Habs Passion unites us all

43. Cool Ice Price says:

Maybe he will sign Spacek & Hammer as well ?

Habs Passion unites us all

44. Cool Ice Price says:

So what does Martin run? The concession stand?

Habs Passion unites us all

45. TorontoHabsFan says:

Was at the game yesterday (best live sporting event I’ve witnessed since Joe’s Homer in ’93) and Engqvist *really* impressed me. I’m kind of surprised that he got sent down and White didn’t.

46. punkster says:

Straw man? You’re the one who stated ” its the veterans who need to work with them or else” in a leading question. LOL. I agreed with you about the youth movement, it’s the “or else” I don’t get. Or else what, the vets will get bumped from their jobs? If I misinterpreted your position I apologize. We seem to be on the same wavelength for most of the comment but the “or else” needs explanation.

47. The Teacher says:

Wonder how Boone is feeling right now?

48. B says:

Kostitsyn is a 214 pound 25 year old repeat 20+ goal scorer (on pace for another one) who is 39th among NHL forwards in hits, 22nd among forwards in +/-and has a smaller cap hit than 214 other NHL players this season. Is that really such a problem (or at all easy to improve on)? Of course he could do better and has a habit of leaving us wanting more, but when you compare his numbers to other guys, it really isn’t as horrible as some like to frequently bemoan.

I ROFL’D on that one.

50. Da Hema says:

The shootout is a profoundly unfair and anti-team manner to decide a hockey game. I hate it whether or not the Habs win shootouts….

51. gatorhabs says:

Yes. He keeps things simple, drives to the net and won’t complain if he has to spend time in the press box. He does not hurt this team whatsoever. So I say re-sign him. Doesn’t cost much either.

52. Da Hema says:

Are you not really the psychopathic former poster extrahabsfan with a new HIO persona? Your grammar, “style”, and syntax are starting to show who you really are….

53. HabFanSince72 says:

54. gatorhabs says:

Great, now I am craving Marshmellows.

55. Ayan_SB says:

Wow, the Jets spent half the 4th quarter on offense and got stopped at the 1 yard line on a fourth and goal.

That Steelers defense is something else. But then again, Mark Sanchez ain’t no Aaron Rodgers.

56. habs365 says:

resign Darche for at least another year if only for the 4th line-comes to play every game and puts points on the board-young players see this and it’ll rub off on them-that’s what we need-plus this guy earns his paycheck and molsons should help him out with a little bigger paycheck-he’s worth every dollar

57. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hahaha – I know that a lot of people despise Eklund here – but this stuff is genius! Hahaha I cannot stop laughing. Here take a look yourself: “To Dallas: Nazem Kadri, Clarke MacArthur, and Kris Versteeg plus a conditional pick. To Toronto: Brad Richards, Jamie Benn, and Ondrej Roman.” Hahahaha – wait! Wait, there’s another one: To New Jersey: Jay Bouwmeester, Rene Bourque, Mikael Backlund, and a first and third round round pick. To Calgary: Zack Parise, Brian Rolston, Bryce Salvador, Mattias Tedenby and Vladamir Zharkov” Oh God! – This just completed my weekend! What a great laugh hahaha!

58. Propwash says:

Steelers vs Packers, Love it!

59. The Teacher says:

You got that one right!

60. JohnBellyful says:

And may the best team (Packers) win.

61. likehoy says:

serves him right.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

62. LA Loyalist says:

It’s terrible isn’t it? I totally agree that we should not decide games by shoot-outs, and that sometimes a tie in an honorable result of a contest.

…however, they are DAMN EXCITING!! I’m conflicted, so basically whatever Gary wants, I want the opposite.

new tagline pending

63. Mark C says:

I love how the Leafs end up with the two best players in that deal. The Flames/Devils trade is bat crap crazy, but it might make sense for both teams. With all those moving parts it’s hard to asses which side properly.

Trades this size just don’t happen in the modern NHL.

64. JohnBellyful says:

Should I notify the Hockey Hall of Fame?

65. LA Loyalist says:

I just saw Penner live here in LA against the Kings and i have one thing to say about him joining the Habs:

yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui, yes, oui,

66. joeybarrie says:

Why would he even talk to him? What a waste of a team. Clearly he has no desire to put on a competitive team right now, and Nabs doesnt have 5 years to wait… It was a joke to begin with. It was known he wouldnt play for anyone but Detroit, and maybe a few others, but still. Waste of time.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

67. avatar_58 says:

Idiot GMs being the exception 😉

68. LA Loyalist says:

Hath we searchable archives? Maybe the Gazette does, I’m going to re-find the article about the bringing up of the big 3 from Nova Scotia and how Habs handled it. We USED to be very good at this stuff. Also I’m re-reading Larry Robinson’s memoirs (Robinson for the Defense) and I’ll post anything I think might be insightful with respect to PK.

IMHO, PK is a once in a generation warrior, like Ovechkin, though totally opposite to Markov or Koivu in personality, but I think he and Price and Plex can, if we surround them with the right stuff, lead us to the promised land — or St. Catherine, whichever comes first…

69. OneTimer says:

Oh well thanks for your work anyways HH. 3rd best in the league is pretty damn good. You know a pal of mine chooses winning teams in the series (in pools or whatever) based strictly on who has the highest PP+PK score. Seems to work pretty well for him…

70. SUMO says:

Good question, I’ve often wondered the same thing. Anyone hv an answer?

71. shootdapuck says:

Nabokov signed a standard player contract negotiated with Detroit. He and his agent were well aware of the mechanism for him to return to the NHL and they rolled the dice. He now pays the piper for attempting to backdoor his way onto a contender past mid season. Strange though how he never got so philosophical (” Play for medals”) what a crock, when he was making 6 million with San Jose but getting knocked out in the first round regularly? “, Nabokov is a money grubber with an inflated self worth who came running back to the NHL when his American missus didn’t like living in Russia. BOO HOO!

…”The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star: 1st star: Henri Richard 2nd Star: Doug Harvey 3rd Star: Jacques Plante Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

72. ooder says:

don’t blame him… nabokov signed with the wings for a chance to win something..

not with the losers