Emotional Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin meets with media after firing Michel Therrien

STU COWAN

An emotional Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin met with the media Wednesday morning in Brossard, a day after firing head coach Michel Therrien and replacing him with Claude Julien.

Looking dapper as ever in a blue suit and fancy tie, Bergevin told a packed news conference room that he wanted to first read a prepared statement so he wouldn’t forget anything.

“As you know, I made a major change yesterday in the Montreal Canadiens organization when I decided to relieve Michel of his duties,” Bergevin said. “I’m sure you will understand it was not an easy decision, but I’ve always said I will make the best possible decision for the Montreal Canadiens given the situation and that’s the reason why I made the decision yesterday.

“Michel and I worked very closely together over the past five years. We fought some big battles and experienced strong emotions together. And above all, we always demonstrated integrity in our dealings with each other and with the Montreal Canadiens organization. Those who know me, I am engaged body and soul with my team. I will never think twice about going down in the trenches and fighting alongside them, players and coaches. This is what I’ve always done with Michel and I will do with Claude and this is why the decision was all the more difficult.

“Our working relationship has always been marked by intensity, sincerity and emotion and our meeting yesterday was no different,” Bergevin added. “Today, I would like to publicly express my gratitude to Michel and thank him for everything he has done for the Montreal Canadiens. He’s a great coach and I wish him every success in the future. That said, I’ve reached the conclusion that we were at a turning point for our team and that’s why I decided to make this change in the club’s best interests. I’m convinced that in hiring Claude Julien we are getting one of the best coaches in the NHL. In my estimation, to this point we have reached, Claude is the best man to help reach our goal. Claude has proved his worth.”

Julien was vacationing with his wife in Vermont when Bergevin contacted him after getting permission from the Boston Bruins to speak with the coach they fired on Feb. 7. During a conference call Wednesday afternoon, Julien said he was originally planning to take the rest of this season off and then weigh his options during the spring. When Bergevin called, Julien said it was an offer he couldn’t refuse, adding he now has a contract that runs for five seasons after this one with the Canadiens.

“It is happening quick, I’m not going to lie about it,” Julien said. “But had it not been an ideal situation, I think I would have refused or not taken it.

“Certainly something that I guess appealed to me, although it was probably quicker than I expected,” he added. “But certainly ready for the challenge and looking forward to it.

Julien was back in Boston Wednesday, packing for the trip to Montreal on Thursday. The Canadiens are in the middle of their bye week in the schedule and will hold their first practice under Julien at 4 p.m. Friday in Brossard before facing the Winnipeg Jets Saturday afternoon at the Bell Centre (2 p.m., CBC, SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690). Julien said he won’t make any changes to the assistant coaches who are already in place this season.

The Canadiens are in first place in the Atlantic Division with a 31-19-8 record, but have been slumping since a 13-1-1 start to the season and are 1-5-1 in their last seven games while being shut out three times in the last five. Goaltender Carey Price has also struggled, posting an 8-11-3 record in his last 22 starts with a 3.11 goals-against average and a .895 save percentage.

Bergevin called Price a “proven winner” and added: “He’s one of the best, if not the best in the NHL. To me, there’s no issue there whatsoever.”

You can watch Bergevin’s entire news conference on the HI/O Facebook page.

Bergevin said he called Therrien on Tuesday afternoon to say he wanted to meet with him. The GM then drove from the Bell Centre to Therrien’s home and en route believed Therrien already knew what was going to happen. The GM said their discussion lasted about 20 minutes as he delivered the bad news.

Bergevin appeared to be fighting back tears during a couple of points in Wednesday’s news conference — taking off his designer glasses — when he spoke about Therrien, who had become one of his closest friends since being hired to coach the Canadiens for the second time only a month after Bergevin became GM in May 2012.

“It was hard,” Bergevin said about telling Therrien he had been fired. “It was hard for him and hard for me. Mike is a guy that fought his whole life to get where he is today. He’s a fighter and that’s what makes him a great coach because he does fight. He fights until the end and he fought until the end. And I told him that’s why I respect you, that’s why you’re going to have success moving forward because he’s a fighter. It was not easy. But it’s not about me, it’s not about Michel, it’s not about one player, two players. It’s about the hockey team and the Montreal Canadiens. And at the end of the day, Michel understood and he was very respectful.

“You don’t go to war, you don’t sit in the trenches with a guy for five years and just turn the page, walk away and never talk to him again,” the GM added. “That’s just not the way it works in our business. If you have any emotion, which we all do, fame and money means nothing. We have feelings about people, business. … Mike’s a people guy and that’s why it was difficult.”

When asked what has gone wrong with team recently that resulted in Therrien being fired, Bergevin said: “We’re just not playing our game. We’re not the same team as we were earlier on. There was something missing. The team performance for me showed that there was something not right and the change had to be made.

“I have my own opinion on this and there’s things I have to keep internally how I feel about our team,” the GM added. “But at the end of the day, I just didn’t feel the guys performed the way they should have. Yes, we had some injures. Yes, the guys stepped up, they played well. But you know how tight the NHL is today and we’ve been healthy and there’s signs that there was something not going right.”

When asked how much of a role team owner Geoff Molson had in the decision to fire Therrien, Bergevin said: “Zero.”

Bergevin summed up the Canadiens current situation best when he said simply: “We need to put the team back on track.”

The Canadiens have 24 games remaining in the regular season now to do just that.

(Photo: Allen McInnis/Montreal Gazette)

• Bergevin swaps foxhole buddies, by Pat Hickey

• Valentine’s Day heartbreak for Therrien, by Stu Cowan

• Julien is the right person to coach Canadiens, by Jack Todd

• What the Puck: Bergevin did the right thing, by Brendan Kelly

1. PK says:

So, what about the assistant coaches and SL?

Looking over their shoulders?

2. boing007 says:

Fire SL!

Richard R

There is no needs to be impressed with Bergevin. He fired his foxhole buddy to save his own skin.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think Molson agreed with Julien’s contract because he’s the type of coach you can keep if MB has to go someday.

• Strummer says:

Molson has no money worries.
        Habs generated the highest profit of any NHL team last season- $76-$78 million. He can afford to splash the cash for a coach.
        Julien wouldn’t work for peanuts and there’s no guarantee he’ll be here for the term of his contract (see Therrien, Carlyle, Wilson and most coaches)
        Basically it’s built in severance.

-Some folks really have trouble letting go of stuff, eh?-

• HABS 63 says:

Are we going to trade PK. NO
      How much of a role did team owner Jeff Molson have in the decision to fire THERRIEN . ZERO .
      Yah like we are going to believe that one ! GO HABS GO . 11. 11. 11. WELCOME BACK CLAUDE !!!!

4. slapshot777 says:

Watch the Ice Caps game on RDS tonight @ 7:30pm man I think Lefebvre needs to be fired, the Ice Caps are playing just as bad as the parent club

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

5. FlyAngler says:

I don’t have any direct knowledge of what MB has offered or not offered Colorado for Duchene, but if I were to bet, I would bet that it is likely N8, the Habs 1st round pick, and either another pick or a prospect NOT named Sergachev. The Presser today was another vehicle for M B to let Sakic know that he just is not going to part with what he considers to be the Habs top prospects……

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sakic is in no rush. He can make the deal at the draft. If he does it now, it will only be if someone overpays.

• FlyAngler says:

That’s what makes the trade game so intriguing right DDO? To get a really good player this time of year, you pretty much have to overpay. The question becomes about the amount of the mark up or the premium if you will. There is overpaying by a bit and there is giving up the farm so to speak. I wouldn’t mind overpaying by a little bit to get Duchene, but gross overpayment needs to be out of the question. Sakic has to know to that a package that might be available now might not be available in July…….

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• Loop_G says:

My guess would be the same as yours, and I would guess Juulsen is the offered prospect. It would mean a second trade for a d-man likely as well, probably a soon to be free agent one.

6. Habs62 says:

This Don Birnam guy reminds me of someone can’t put my finger on it.

7. fastfreddy says:

I’m not surprised that MB fired MT, I’m more surprised that he fired him at this time. I really thought MB would have waited at least a few more games to see the results. I’m impressed MB, good job, but the task is not yet done, there’s more to do.

• Loop_G says:

I think that the break played into it, makes it a good time to make the change. Also, if you think you will need to change things, and arguably the best french speaking coach in the world becomes available, I think you need to act.

8. haloracer18 says:

Not sure if I like the move or not. If Michel Therrien is going to cost the owner money for sitting at home, then obviously I think he should still be coaching the team. Don’t want to give the owner any new reasons to raise ticket prices.

9. boing007 says:

@UkrainianHab,
    Are you familiar with this chapter in Auston Matthew’s life?

Richard R

10. theox_8 says:

@rabidhab
    No chance on gods green earth that you can acquire those without sacrificing what you mentioned . Melnyk of the Senators laughed it off when asked about the asking price for Duchene and the assests he would have to give up to get a player like that .

11. SteverenO says:

oops- posted previously on the old thread:
    ********************************************************
    3 ways we will know instantly if replacing Therrien with Julien was the right move:

1) Less of (or none of) Danault on the PP ( he is actually a minus 1 with the man advantage)- He’s been on the ice for two PP goals scored and 3 PP goals allowed in 26:45 of PP TOI; the team has not scored even one single goal with Danault at center on the PP with Pacioretty and Radulov on his wings in 18 minutes and 30 seconds.

With either of McCarron or Galchenyulk centering those same two wingers the team has scored 6 PP goals in 20 minutes and 20 seconds of PP TOI.

2) less of (or none of) Emelin on the penalty kill :

Emelin has been , by far, the least effective on the Habs penalty kill unit. the team has allowed 26 goals in 160 minutes of SH TOI with Emelin on the ice. Average equals roughly one PP Goal Allowed every 6 minutes: Beaulieu has played 65 minutes of 4 vs 5 OI and has been on for only 4 goals against; an average of one GA every 16 minutes.

3) defense pairings: Weber and Emelin MUST be broken up: here’e why: They have played together for 826 minutes of 5-on 5 play this season, The team having scored 26 goals and allowed 20 goals against. The averages are 31 minutes per goal scored (terrible ) and 41 minutes per goal allowed (excellent)

Weber and Beaulieu have played together for 170 minutes at even strength this season. During their time on ice together the team has allowed scored 9 goals and allowed only 2. The averages are
    19 minutes per goal scored (pretty good) , and 85 minutes per goal allowed (Incredibly good).

Out of 16 different defense pairing combinations (having more than 30 minutes of TOI) this season, the pairing of Weber/Emelin ranks 13th in goal production. If we EVER see Emelin and Weber on the ice together in third period when the team is trailing , that alone, is justification to change coaches. The only pairings that have had worse offensive production this season are Hanley/Beaulieu – Johnston/Barberio – and Emelin/Petry. (I pointed out repeatedly last season that playing Emelin and Petry together was a HUGE coaching mistake)

Anyone who has any doubts about Therrien”s dismissal need only see the three huge mistakes above to understand why he had to be replaced.

The interesting thing about it is that a team can have a winning record, even a near perfect record, in the won and lost column, despite those huge mistakes. The fact remains that anyone, with a brain, a calculator, and any type of interest/knowledge in performance metrics should easily catch those errors.

Instead of crying over having to dismiss his buddy, had Bergevin hired someone, and/or Therrien paid any heed to performance metrics (These are not advanced stats , or even analytics… it requires just the most basic and simple arithmetic skills) he probably would not have had to fire his foxhole buddy. At the very least there would have been no compelling reason to make a change. In light of those three glaring errors- there is no possible way for anyone to justify Therrien remaining in his position as head coach.

I challenge ANYONE, including the so called expert Pierre McGuire to try and explain why any owner would , or should, allow someone to keep their job in light of the consistent poor personnel ice time allotment decisions such as those mentioned above

Regards,

Steve O.

12. boing007 says:

Penguins are courting Duchene. Oh oh.

Richard R

• slapshot777 says:

They have Fleury as a good starting point to make a trade of that magnitude. They better hope Murray keeps up with his play or they are cooked

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Cal says:

Murray doesn’t panic. Fleury does, or at the very least appears to. With the Cup win last season, it’s an easy choice for the Pens to make if the Avs are silly enough.

13. myron.selby says:

It will be interesting to see if the coaching change reboots Plekanec’s game. The biggest issue from my coaching couch is that he absolutely will not pass the puck anymore.

Any time Pleks has the puck in the offensive zone, every person in the building – which sadly include the other team – knows that he is going to shoot. Of course this means that his wingers are left standing around picking their noses, and also that his goal scoring vanished since the opposition can cheat and play the shot every time.

If Julien can convince him to start passing again (which he used to be pretty good at), it might just revive his offensive game, not to mention upping the stats of his wingers.

• twilighthours says:

So what you’re saying is that if the other team was absent then he might sneak one past the goalie.

• SteverenO says:

Of 6 Habs forwards with more than 50 minutes of PP TOI – Plekanec is tied for best with Radulov in team goals scored per minute of ice time (one PP goal scored every 7 minutes)-

Galchenyuk and Pacioretty close to 8 minutes of PP TOI per goal scored, Gallagher & Shaw slighly over 8 minutes per goal scored.

I truly believe that a big reason for Plekanecs uninspired /lacklustre play this season is seeing others such as Desharnais and Danault getting PP time while Plekanec is not.

FYI the leading forward in PP productivity this season are Lehkonen and Byron slightly over 6 minutes per PP goal; Lehkonen has received 43 minutes and Byron 33 miute sof action with the extra man.

regards,

Steve O.

14. rabidhab says:

Getting Julien was the easy part MB. Now get a C and top Dman without giving up Segachev, Juulsen, Mc Niven , Lindgren, Galchenyuk and Lehkonen. #s 31, 67, 47, 6 , 8 gotta stay too. Pretty challenging job.

15. PK says:

Optimism reigns in Habsland:

I only hope that the likes of Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Pateryn and
    McCarron are given an ample opportunity to show their skills, allowed to play without repercussions.

Habsland is now a better place given that it will become an embellishment-free zone.

Last point, Habs would be better, going forward, if they still had Subban (just an opinion).

16. Don Birnam says:

OK.
    Got the Blues and Jackets to win with the Over tonight.
    Let’r Rip.

17. boing007 says:

Claude Julien: Mr. Fixit.

Richard R

18. mrhabby says:

Two things things Mark please don’t trade
    Sergachev and kindly let AG play where he is best suited. It’s not his fault that MT could not deal with him.

19. Mavid says:

Awww so sad Stuart McLean..passed..

Weed Wacker -and now Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

20. HabsWin-nipeg says:

Off topic, but I see that Vermette gets 10 games automatically for a slash on the back of an officials leg, while Nyquist gets 6 games for stabbing another player in the face with his stick. Sigh.

21. Mavid says:

Bahahahaha

Weed Wacker -and now Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

22. oldguy10 says:

Good start – Therrien had run his course in the NHL -yesterdays guy -Julien my be somewhat the same but he will play the skilled guys much better than Therrien did and players like Desjardais will be on the pk and that’s it. Next blockbuster – Price for Tavares ?

23. New says:

So many folks whining about the players. Yet if you look at the roster and the stats and the minutes in comparison to contenders and you find the Habs have a good team.

All it needs to do is play like a team.

They will be fine now.

24. Because we’re always trying to make our team better, I have finally come up with two EA94 trades of the week.

Max Pacioretty our 2nd to Colorado
    Matt Duchene to Montreal

Lateral move in points, but we get our #2 center plus he’s two years younger, but 2 million more expensive.

The Avs lose a center, however they get to draft Nolan Patrick (Future #1 center and he’s freakin awesome!)

Now, we could really go all in and move Radulov for a pick at the deadline, but only if he promises to come back, otherwise we’re all in with Rads and probably going to lose him to the first freak GM who pays him 8 million.

EA94 Option two and this is flashback to 1995.

Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, Mtl’s 2017 first pick to Colorado for Matt Duchene, Calvin Pickard, and their 2017 first round pick, which I hate because there is no guarantee they win the lottery, especially after getting Max and Carey Price. But then we end up with three great centers, however by 2019 Nolan Patrick will be Good to Go. We then lose Matt Duchene to trade deadline in 2019 because we can’t pay him 8 million/yr.

Charlie Lindgren would back up Pickard, we win Cups 25, 26, and 27. 😆

That’s it, that was my random thought of the day. I do not want to lose Galchenyuk or Sergachev to get Duchene. I’d rather play out the season and see where we are next summer with our four top prospects.

Oh and Gallagher becomes Captain

Great Day #2, What a great season! I’m so Excited!

Shane Oliver
    Sholi2000.com
    @sholi2000
    57 Wins to Tie Plante
    Shane&Son Dec 2016

• iha8losin says:

And can we get that Skittles-lactating giraffe cuz your fantasy ain’t bizarre enough. Haha….

• mrhabby says:

I like ur option 3 . Don’t trade Sergachev or Gally wait till next year . Creative tho.

• That’s the route Bergevin will go. Some friends of mine (hiya R) think there is a gentlemen’s agreement between Marc and Radulov. I think he’s going to the highest bidder and that won’t be Mtl.

Shane Oliver
        Sholi2000.com
        @sholi2000
        57 Wins to Tie Plante
        Shane&Son Dec 2016

• mrhabby says:

There is no one to take over from Price so option will not work and you just know if they traded him he will go on and win a cup.

I hope Rad stays .

• Calvin Pickard is an NHL goaltender. 🙂

In 2007, I spent an evening (an hour, maybe longer, I don’t remember lol) with Price and his gang. The Pickard family was there, and I was talking to Chet about playing goal, and he introduced me to his little brother who was just drafted by the Seattle Thunderbirds. Years later, Calvin made it and his brother (who I thought was pretty good) is still working on a career in hockey. It’s just the way it goes some times.

Shane Oliver
            Sholi2000.com
            @sholi2000
            57 Wins to Tie Plante
            Shane&Son Dec 2016

25. Phil C says:

I have a lot of respect for Bergevin today. That was not easy to fire a friend. But he did it for the good of the club even though it might hurt him personally. That’s the kind of ethic you need to be a good executive.

• D Mex says:

Agree.
      He separated the one from the other for the good of the team, but it clearly wasn’t easy.
      When the day comes that he leaves the Habs, it’s not hard to imagine that his phone will ring, too. Not a bad poker face …

• New says:

I prefer to look at it as he upgraded a position when an option to do so became available.

You can never be friends with subordinates. When that relationship is over you soon find out who your friends are.

• toneez says:

I too really liked MB when he was hired but then trading PK and keeping MT after the horrendous year last year was kind of a cold shower for me as far as Bergy is concerned , and seeing MT behind the bench this year really made me sick to my stomach but I had confidence that as soon as things would go South this year something would be done, and thankfully it was … All is now warm and fuzzy in Habland , and I have no problem with Julien he is a good coach and most importantly an accomplished winner so we ill be fine , no more of having to endure a Sourpuss behind the bench

All Habs all the Time

• iha8losin says:

Yeah but what’s with the 5 yr contract? Always going long term. Have to wonder if it’s really necessary. I realize coach’s pay doesn’t count toward the cap, and that it’s Molson’s money, and that Julien commands top comp but still…oh well, if he brings home Stan’s trophy, I guess it’ll all be worth it.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If MB didn’t fire MT, he was gone too if the team continued as is. Not a hard decision to make when your butt is on the line too.

26. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Therrien was fired because he _________ .
    2. Of all the players, ________ has to be happiest about that.
    3. If you’re Claude Julien, the first thing(s) you want to change/fix __________.
    4. For the players, the biggest change from Therrien to Julien will be ___________ .
    5. Under Julien, the Habs will _________ the playoffs this year.

SD
    ————————————-
    Fortune favours the prepared. And teams with good goalies.

27. CanadiensRock says:

I guess the first thing Julien will do is clean up all the embellishment our players exhibit game in game out. LOL Remember his rants about the refereeing and the habs embellishment?
    CanadiensRock

28. kerrgte says:

MB is a great GM who works to improve the team tirelessly.

If there are more opportunities to improve the team, he will do it. Obviously, he wont overpay.

Let’s see how the new coach changes the players’ performance.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

who works to improve the team tirelessly after making huge mistakes like not having adequate back-up goal-tending, contract extensions to under-performing vets, keeping under-performing coaches, and doing nothing to improve the center position in 5 seasons. Yup he’s great.

• Coach K says:

Just like that forward who turns the puck over at the offensive blueline, Bergevin SHOULD be the hardest working GM in hockey!!

-Adversity Does Not Build Character…it Reveals it-
        (James Lane Allen)

29. boing007 says:

Get off Galchenyuk’s case! Whoever you are.

Richard R

30. D Mex says:

McGuire back on TSN690.
    Same burr up his a$$ that was there yesterday.
    Maybe he gets away with this schtick on NBC (?)

31. theox_8 says:

Cue all the posters saying ” but we knocked both of them out 10 years ago ” lol . When we got outshot 40 shots every game , Halak stood on his head and fooled everyone in thinking he was a capable of being a starting goaltender .

32. CanadiensRock says:

Marc Bergevin is wrong to think this team is good enough to go all the way. The only reason we have a chance to make the play-offs was Therrien’s coaching system which requires 100% hard work each and every game. They played it to a tee for 15 games then ran out of gas. They can’t compete with the top contending teams due to a lack of talent. oh our core of Price, Weber,Markov, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Radulov, is pretty good, but after that???? Trevor Timmins has drafted the same type player over and over again and we are the victims of too many US players and not enough French Canadien players. What is the identity of the Montreal Canadiens today? yes many here blame Therrien but the problem is players or lack thereof. The Ice Caps are struggling to make the play-offs again. Why? Not enough talent.
    Claude Julien is not a miracle worker. Five years??? Bergevin has a two year window including this year to go all in. Price will not stay beyond his contract if he doesn’t see a legitimate chance of winning the cup. Weber has perhaps two great playoff years left so the time is now. Do we mortgage the future and trade Sachachev, Sherback, McCarron, Hudon, Carr and draft picks? Here’s the thing, Sachachev is perhaps the best prospect with a chance to becoming a star and with Timmons picking our players draft picks mean nothing. Look for Bergevin to go all in. If not, this team will be on the decline again and we will be looking at a rebuild and with Trevor Timmons at the head of our Scouting another painful decade. The best GM we have had in the last 30 years was Serge Savard. His scouting staff picked a lot of gems. We did not recover from Reggie Houle.
    CanadiensRock

• Habfan17 says:

I would guess, that every coaches system in the NHL is predicated on the players working together and 100% hard work every shift.

If the team is gassed, then maybe they over train, or under train, or are not doing enough of the right training. The Habs are not the only tem with a tougher schedule this season. Their travel schedule is still pretty good compared to other teams.

I agree, I don’t think the Habs are built to compete for the cup yet, but what did you expect Bergevin to say. It would have been great to have the Habs players watch the conference and hear their GM say they are not good enough!

Julien is a coach that demands structure and full effort. Where he differs over Therrien, is, he allows his players a bit more creativity and doesn’t use a passive PK.

I think, if Price gets back to his usual self, the Habs will surprise us. I do not think that they will win the cup, unless they have some luck.

Habfan17

• on2ndthought says:

MB thinks any team that makes the playoffs can go all the way, and he’s not wrong. Boston 2011, Carolina and TB before that, even LA’s first cup. There will be surprises.

I just don’t think Bergevin thinks this team is a favourite to win the cup, and I’ve never heard him say anything like that. We DON’T mortgage the future, we stay the course; and that may well lead to a rebuild in three years.

33. Danno says:

Is being called a “proven winner” as big an honour as being called a “foxhole guy”?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

34. habsr4ever says:

The assistants will be gone after the season. Julien will bring in his own guys/coaches. I suspect Muller will be given the opportunity to stay if he wants to. Not sure he is a head coach any how. He is too nice. He is a perfect buffer for the players and the head coach. I do believe he and Claude will work great together.

People say you can’t make chicken soup with chicken sh$#. And the comments on here about our roster – people seem to think we do have a bunch of sh#@ty players. Let’s see how Claude turns us around. I will just add SIZE MATTERS and we need to get bigger obviously up front. We can get away with our team vs the Pens but NOT the Caps. The caps will wear us down and beat us to a pulp. The pens will outskill us and out skate us but Carey can beat them and we seem to play well against that team for what ever reason. So that is the match-up I would like to see in the EASTERN finals. Let’s make a deal or two Bergy and give Claude some goal scoring and size!

35. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

BTW…nice suit MB!

36. theox_8 says:

MB won’t pull the trigger on an elite centre . He has already said they have to be drafted and there aren’t any available , and if by any chance there is he won’t mortgage a top prospect so basically he has said the only way to get one is to pull an Edmonton and Toronto , and Tank . Which Molson would neve allow .

37. joewindsor habfan says:

MT’s message went into one ear & out the other among the players. He failed miserably to make effective modifications in game time & utilize his players properly. He wore out his welcome in the dressing room, the fans who support the Habs & the media.

• Habfan17 says:

Tony Marinara was just on Ottawa radio, he said some of the players said that Therrien hadn’t spoken to them in months. Not good!!

Habfan17

• habsr4ever says:

I find that hard to believe.
        Besides – stand up and say your name if you are going to make a comment like that. I call that gutless and I hope that player is traded. Be a man about it.

• Habfan17 says:

I disagree with you, players talk off the record and it was more than one. This is how reporters make a living, If they can’t be trusted to not reveal their sources, then no one will talk. Works the same way when investigative reporters look into wrong doing with companies.

It is not gutless to say the coach hadn’t spoken with them. How do you think the hockey insiders get information?

It is your choice what you believe. Marinara also spoke up on Therrien’s behalf and said he thinks he will get another gig, and that he had worked hard to change. It is what it is.
          Habfan17

• Dan Robertson said this morning (or lunch) a lot of players stopped listening to Therrien, mostly because he wasn’t talking with them but at them. Most notably during the Yotes game. The Gang lead by Carey had a meeting with Marc, and just like when Crosby stepped into Mario’s office……..the coach was let go.

It’ll be in my book…..stay tuned.

Shane Oliver
        Sholi2000.com
        @sholi2000
        57 Wins to Tie Plante
        Shane&Son Dec 2016

• CanadiensRock says:

No talent to work with pure and simple.

CanadiensRock

• toneez says:

Very true MT had zero talent … That’s why he got canned Bergy couldn’t protect him many more , he tried by getting rid of PK but finally realized that it was indeed MT that was the Cancer and now its gone

All Habs all the Time

38. LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

Sportsnet had an article back in October on the 20 best Centers in the league.

Couple of things caught my attention. San Jose Sharks Dallas Stars Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins had each a pair of centers on this list.

Julien for all the hype and praise had Bergeron and Kreji at his disposal. Yet the team was floundering. Rasks numbers better than Prices.

So all you geniuses out there explain how a guy that supposedly lost the room in Montreal in Therrien’s is going to be topped by another guy that lost the room in Beantown where they have 2 elite center man.

Second, Dallas Stars Seguin and Spezza. I was actually blown away of Spezza career numbers almost a point a game. 844 points in 889 games.

Dallas should be sellers. Seguin would be too much I’m certain to aquire. But why not Spezza. He’s as good in puck possession as anyone. He’s not old at 33 either.

My point on all this there were only 4 teams with a pair of top 20 center man. Pittsburgh won the cup.last season after almost 10 years of having Crosby and Malkin. And yet they needed a coach change and Kessel and Bonino to make it happen? San Jose the other finalist with Couture and Big Joe.

I will feel for Therrien that much more if the trigger gets pulled in landing an elite center especially when you consider what Montreal has accomplished without a Toews Kopitar Crosby Thornton Getzlaf Tavares Backstrom Couture or McDavid.

This was a knee jerk reaction to which Bergevin is trying to save his hide. This isn’t to blame him necessarily because frankly other than Geoff Molson who’s a shill there, are I’m sure a bunch of influential people making the philosophical and financial choices for this Empire.

I really hope nothing happens to the lineup the next 2 weeks as to compare how much better this weeks flavour of savior performs.

My guess not much better at all. And how much did they spend to lure Julien here a second term. This year’s playoffs tickets and concessions should be a good indicator.

Good F. LUCK

• bwoar says:

Hey buddy, why don’t you leave the coach alone?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Bruins this year under Julien were number 1 in luck possesion and number 2 in PK with a crap D core. If he does that here, the Habs are going to the Eastern Conference finals in this division.

• Habfan17 says:

If you look at the teams you mention, they have much better defence and depth than Boston did, yet, Julien had them as the best puck possession team and at the top in PK. Being able to get the puck up to those top 2 centres sure helps! Burns with 24 goals and 35 assists, tops in points on the Sharks also helps!
      Habfan17

• CanadiensRock says:

Agree

CanadiensRock

• CalgaryHab says:

I appreciate that you’ve lost a loved one and that you’re upset but Therrien was an awful hire to begin with and had plenty of reasons to get canned. He road the coattails of Price and there is nothing in his record of coach that couldn’t be easily attributed to Price. His line combos and ice distribution had no logic whatsoever. He shames certain players and gives preferential treatment to others.
      The smurfology of the team is not on him but he did have influence over. The system and process that he deployed had no business with the skill set of this team – he could never see that.
      I wish MT well, but will not miss him.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It doesn’t sound as if Julien ever lost the players in Boston. He did, however, lose the suits. For MT, on the other hand, there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that it was the other way around.

• Coach K says:

I’ve been saying he should acquire Sepzza for months now and for exactly that career, point a game reason.

He’s a lot better than most think. Imagine if he made Paciorrety look like Dany Heatly in his prime!!?? That would mean Spezza/Max and Radukov/Galchenyuk. That’s a pretty good start on a top two lines.

Plus he’s a whiz a gaining the zone on the power play and a fantastic playmaker with elite vision. Tell em the Habs couldn’t use a guy like that?

Besides, Dallas needs defence and the Habs have a bumper crop of them.

-Adversity Does Not Build Character…it Reveals it-