Emelin won’t change his physical style of play

Alexei Emelin isn’t planning to change his physical style of play when he returns next season from reconstructive knee surgery.

“I don’t think it will be something I’ll change because what happened to me can happen to anyone,” Emelin, who had surgery in May to repair the ACL and MCL in his left knee and isn’t expected to return to action until November, told canadiens.com. “I will continue playing the same style. It was just bad luck. You can be walking down the street, trip, or run into another person by accident, and suffer a similar injury. It was a hockey play with a bad result.”

Emelin was injured during a collision with Boston’s Milan Lucic during a game at the Bell Centre on April 6.

“I don’t think I need to try to come back early because it’s a really tough injury,” Emelin told canadiens.com about the six-month recovery period. “I want to come back when I’m completely ready so I can come back sharp. I don’t want to force myself to come back until I’m fully healthy.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Emelin was a solid sophomore, by canadiens.com

Top 10 No. 25 picks at NHL draft, canadiens.com

Rangers introduce Vigneault as their new head coach, montrealgazette.com

Stars hire Ruff to become head coach, TSN.ca

Bruins, Hawks battle tested, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Last chance at glory for tight-knit Bruins, Sportsnet.ca

Corey Crawford’s glove exposed, SI.com

1. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Leafs pick up Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd.
    24 cups and counting….

2. Habs4LifeInTO says:

I also like the thinking of signing a young Labrie type player (he would be fine but if not him then someone similar) and then trade Moen to Vancouver for a 4th round pick as they seem to want to toughen up as well. Use the new 4th pick to grab one of those fighting defensemen, Betker or Hauf. Moutrey would do as well if he is still there. Hopefully no one else has noticed that poor Travis is done.

24 cups and counting….

3. Habs4LifeInTO says:

HabFan: Good catch on those Q signings. A quick look at the draft potentials in 2013 tells me Duffy is maybe a notch or two behind Shinkaruk similar size though. He might be equal to a mid second round pick at the very least (in my opinion that is). May be more like a Klimchuck. Either way this justifies not continuing on with Pribyl and Archambault. Also the addition of a character player like Stephen Mc Cauley is a better bet and Desjardin could be a burgeoning power forward (hopefully) in the mould of Valentin Zykov (very optimistic but if I wasn’t partially crazy I wouldn’t be sitting here on a beautiful Sunday morning). Both of these guys might be equal to late third round picks. That’s how you stock the cupboards, MB! Way to go scouting staff! Thanks to HabFan for bringing that to my attention. This is why I wade through HIO every day just for little gems like this!

Go Habs Go

24 cups and counting….

4. frontenac1 says:

@maritimeRon.Hope you are right amigo and that Enforcer is a Heavyweight. Kitchen Party eh? Those are great! Try some Cognac in your coffee this morning and then move into the Pints in the afternoon.Saludos!

5. frontenac1 says:

@scotty90. I like Reaves too. He is a much improved fighter. At 26yrs and +225lbs, and under a million bucks,sticks up for his mates. I doubt the Blues would let him go for nothing. He would be a great help for Prust though.

6. Maritime Ron says:

Fearless predictions for the next 15 days:

– 48 hours after the Cup finishes we will announce the buyout of Kaberle.

– We will go to the draft looking for a hockey trade.
    Youth for youth or older for youth.
    We will identify vulnerable organizations and that may be rookie GMs, teams with impatient ownership, teams in financial difficulties, and try to score there.

– Come draft day, as is with all orgs, we will respond by saying, “ we can’t believe xyz player was still available at abc spot. We had him ranked at (… ) position and are thrilled we had a chance to pick him.”

– RE UFAs, while several teams will court the top names (Bickell/Clarkson/Scuderi…) we will at most kick some tires and score nothing there. There will be no offers of 5 years to anyone, and no 4 year offers for anyone +32.

– If we do sign UFA guys, they will be depth and you can bet on this one – we will sign at least 1 enforcer to protect our smaller guys and give Prust a break.
    We will also need the same in Hamilton for the exact same reasons.
    A UFA such as Tampa’s Pierre-Cedric Labrie would not be a surprise.

• HabFab says:

I don’t see MB hiring an enforcer. He will look for a player who can play and handle himself like Prust.

• Maritime Ron says:

And who would that be?

• Maritime Ron says:

By the way, Labrie had 11 goals and 18 points in the AHL in 39 games, and had 2 goals 3 points for Tampa in only 19 games. Those 2 goals were the same as Moen and Armstrong in 45 and 37 games resectively, and more than White’s 1 goal in 26 games.
        Labrie would also be a welcomed 6’3″ – 234 lbs that won’t allow the Colton Orrs or MacLarens of the world to run around without answering the bell.

His cost would be NHL minimum or a tad more

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Liking those dimensions.
          And do you reckon he’s under the radar? Or attracting the consideration of 29 GMs?
          Also, for the benefit of someone who saw only 1 or 2 Tampa games this year, who’s he like?

• Maritime Ron says:

What’s he like?
            Remember Gryba that blindsided Eller and took him out of the playoffs?
            This is how Labrie would take care of Gryba as he did in this dust up

Now tell me we don’t need this?

• Maritime Ron says:

Labrie played an average of 8:33 last year. White played an average of 9:24 last year. You can decide what may be a better fit.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Although I don’t know if he necessarily wins that fight 10 times out of 10, he’s definitely rugged, definitely brings some of what we are currently lacking.

Two other observations:
            1) very weird that hockeyfights.com is sponsored by glam.com! What interesting nuggets about the gender of viewers turned up in their market research?!
            2) AHL commentary teams are so much more honest about fights, not even pretending that they think it’s in any way unsavoury, as on CBC, NBC etc.

• Habfan17 says:

Labrie may be a good and cap friendly replacement for Moen, he is bigger and younger. Nice recommendation Maritime!

Habfan17

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I wonder if Moen is doing some serious thinking since the season ended. To me he very much looked like someone playing as though his doctor had left him in no doubt regarding the long-term implications of brain injury. He had been a dependably physical player, then after his concussion he wasn’t. I don’t in any way blame him if he’s being cautious for that reason, but I think he should retire.

7. Dunboyne Mike says:

Boychuk’s hit could easily be classified as criminal assault. Likewise McQuaid on Shaw.

No team has the monopoly on that kind of hit, no team hasn’t done them.

The real scum behind hits like this is the blood-sucking league that not only allows them but tacitly encourages them.

I love hockey and I despise the NHL.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Mike. While I agree with your post may I include the players themselves as assuming a bit of the blame here? There just seems to be a lack of respect among players today. When we continue to see the league stars go down with these types of hits the game suffers.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Morning Jim.
        I agree, especially when you see McQuaid laughing and gloating. It’s a tough game with plenty of grey areas, and players will take increasing liberties according to what the officials allow. Once it’s the playoffs — and particularly the SCF — the League instructs the officials to “let them play” (nasty euphemism) and men get away with stuff which in any other context would see them in court. You’re right, there are players who simply have no respect for other players — only the NHL can curb them but it doesn’t. Couple of costly and severely punitive court cases might make an interesting difference.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hear that from talking heads and I think that’s a copout. This generalized ‘lack of respect’ is a direct result of lax enforcement of the rules. He crosschecked my guy, I crosscheck him, the linesmen wade in and do their usual nothing, and the next time we all crosscheck more, and there’s your lack of respect. If all the penalties and attempts to intimidate were whistled down, there’d be no ‘lack of respect’, just players doing their best within the confines of the rules.

• Lafleurguy says:

Still baffling how James Wisniewski got 8 games for elbowing Cal Clutterbuck back when Shanahan was new on the job. Clutterback wasn’t injured. I guess Shanahan thereafter was told in no uncertain terms what his political obligations are.

“May you live in interesting times.”

8. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good morning/afternoon all,

JF refers to us needing a Bickell-type player but not at the price he will now command. About this time yesterday Fransakois named three below-the-radar large-bodies that could be worth a look. What do any of you —– (ok I’ll go get them) ——-

Jesse Joensuu
    Jerome Samson
    Matt Pelech

CLEARLY we need a budget price Bickell. Has anyone seen these guys play?

@Twi – thanks. Appreciate that concern. We are doing fine though. Spent most of the day sandbagging in a nearby community and probably going back today. Waiting for the call on Twitter.

10. habstrinifan says:

I am going on record now.. and I will stand ready to be laughed at and called stoooopid etc.

Gallagher entered the NHL and surprised everyone with what many see as his ‘charcater and grit’ etc. But bottom line it’s his production… his real ability to add offense which made him stand out. Bournival will do the same.He won’t add the ‘numbers ‘ of Gallagher but his ability to become a Bergeron type ice-general who is also fearless will be a surpise.

Gallagher and Bournival earned top line with the DOGS for the above reasons. Bournival is a better player now than Dumont for instance.
    Bournival needs to be on this team in 2013-2014.

You are entitled to laugh when I am proven wrong as I am entitled to say “I told you so” if I am proven right…. Bournival will enter the NHL and have a better career than the K’s or Lappierre or Higgins or Dumont or any number of our more touted prospects.

• Maritime Ron says:

Quick question. What is Bournival’s size?
      Depending on the source, the Habs web sit has him listed at 5’11’-179, yet his wiki page has him at 5’11” 192 and his Hamilton page has him at 191.
      Only asking because we don’t need another 170 something pound forward in the line up. (See last night)

• habstrinifan says:

See last night ok…

Patrick Kane; TSN PROFILE: Height: 5-11 Weight: 181lbs

Michael Bournival; TSN PROFILE: Height: 5-11 Weight: 179lbs

I agree re need size and no more smurfs. But a good player is a good player.

• Chris says:

One was the best offensive player of his entire draft by a country mile. The other was a guy who barely managed a point-per-game in junior hockey.

Bournival has the potential to be a good NHL player. Patrick Kane was a can’t miss superstar.

Sidney Crosby is 5’11” and 200 pounds. Tomas Plekanec is 5’11” and 198 pounds. Both are good NHL players.

Of course, one is many times more gooder. :)

• Maritime Ron says:

Bournival may have the same size but comes nowhere close to the skill level of Kane. Few do.

• Chris says:

The Hamilton numbers are probably the most accurate.

• Chris says:

Chris Higgins is every bit the worker and defensive player that Bournival is.

So you are essentially betting that Bournival will be a better offensive player than Higgins was. I’ll believe it when I see it. Higgins has outperformed Bournival at every level. He’s an established 15-20 goal third line forward.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Bournival could achieve that. I will also be a bit shocked if he does.

• habstrinifan says:

Don’t mean to keep getting into one-on-one debates but I think that Bournival is a more all-around player/prospect than Higgins. But as you said… time will tell.

• Chris says:

The thing to remember with Higgins is that he was everything Bournival was when drafted. The scouts all said “third-line winger with a ceiling of second-line”. He was praised for his hard work and his defensive skills.

Unfortunately, he scored a bit too much in his first couple of years, raising expectations from fans, the team and (perhaps most damagingly) himself.

When Higgins is allowed to be what he should be, a third line two-way forward that can chip in offence and check the other team’s top players, he is playing a role where he can be one of the best in the league. It is when he gets put into situations where his talent doesn’t warrant (top-6) that he falls apart.

Like I said, I desperately hope that Bournival is as good as Higgins. That would be a steal for the Habs.

11. Ed says:

let me address quickly the subject below about bringing up players and developing them at the NHL level.

every player knows how to play “his game” – what he can do on the ice and what got him to this level of elite competition.

if a player can not play “his game” at the NHL level, it is simply a mistake to have him in an NHL lineup.

12. Lafleurguy says:

Boychuk’s hit was less dirty than the can-opener play he pulled on Mason Raymond two years ago breaking a bone in Raymond’s back. Suspendable or not, some plays are just plain dirty. On the other hand, was it Frolik that got away with tripping Krug?

“May you live in interesting times.”

13. Maritime Ron says:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL Player Safety taking a good look at Boychuk hit on Toews. Not sure if anything will come of it or not yet
    —–
    The Conversation:

Jeremy: ” Good Morning Gary.”
    Gary: “Hello Jeremy my favouite man that gave me my monster 5 year $$$ extension. What can I do for you today?
    Jeremy: ” Well Gary, Colin and myself had a look at that Boychuk hit. It was clean. Nothing to review there.”
    Gary: ” Whatever you say Jeremy. See you in Boston on Monday then Chicago on Wednesday.”
    Click.

14. petefleet says:

Looks like CHI has Chara figured out. If Chara is the guy worrying about getting hit and having to move a large body (Bickell) he’s not effective at terrorizing the other teams best players. MB & MT could take a lesson from this…sign another big winger to play with the skill. Fun to watch him get hit.

******************************************
    I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

• Habfan10912 says:

Pete, I’m glad you mentioned this. I don’t think its just Chara. I think the Maple Leafs were the aggressor in their series and I think it completely threw Boston off their game.
      I don’t think the Bruins defense responds well to pressure.

• Ed says:

the way for a d-man to beat the pressure is to use his mobility, quick feet and agility. Subban is good as anyone in the league. This is Chara’s weakness. This is a general weak spot for the Bruns d-men,

15. Habfan10912 says:

Good Sunday morning to all. I am waiting with bated breath for the leagues explanation why the Boychuk’s illegal hit isn’t suspendable. We’ll soon hear from the league henchman in the media to lead the charge.

16. HabFab says:

Nick Kypreos – A source told me #Bruins Bergeron may have suffered a spleen injury. Team reported he was taken by ambulance for observation at nearby hospital.

17. piper says:

Bordeleau has re-signed with the Avs for 3 years at 1 mil per. Could the Habs somehow pry him away. I’d over pay to get some more muscle in the lineup and he is one of the best at what he does. Maybe they’d be interested in DD, and Bournival? I know it would probably take a bit more. Any suggestions?

• Cal says:

If he’s just re-signed, he’s not being moved anywhere for at least one season.

• JUST ME says:

Overpay that`s the idea ! You would give up DD AND Bournival for a 3 goals 2 assist player ? Wow ! That is brilliant !

Come on ! Can`t anybody think before posting ? Why would we have to pay for…ahem…overpay for the other team`s garbage and expect them to turn into gold here ?

Just do not understand the desperate kind of move people play and although we are not professionnals i think it is obvious that we should stick with Bergevin`s patience and plan…

• Phil C says:

No need to over pay for muscle. There are lots of guys in the AHL that can be had for nothing. There were several tough guys on waivers last year that 29 teams passed on. Matt Kassian cleared waivers last year, then the Sens picked him up for a 7th rounder. Bourdeleau might be worth a little more because he is signed, but not much more.

A more relevant question is why you would waste a roster spot on a guy who can’t take a regular shift. Even Boston does not carry a player like that.

• Scotty90 says:

Ryan Reaves… I am sure St-Louis would let him go if the deal is right… and he gets under a Million! no more getting beat up by Boston and Toronto and Ottawa and Phillie and……

18. Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning morning crew

Late off the mark this AM. An unexpected Kitchen Party broke out yesterday with a lobster mussel feast. For a change in this neck of the woods, it was clear, no fog, no wind, and I don’t know about the rest of the world but the full moon was spectacular and lit up the ocean.
    The kitchen gang moved outside to the deck.
    I think we could’ve charged for the music. All the regular stuff and couple of the boys did a women melt acoustic version of ‘Norwegian Woods’ with harmonies that John and Paul would have been proud of.

19. HabFab says:

Amnesty Buyout Update;

– Initial NHL buyout period is 48 hrs following completion of Stanley Cup Final to 5 pm ET on July 4.
    – Amnesty buyouts can only occur in initial buyout period, not during the second one following salary arbitration.
    – The second buyout period is only for NHL teams who filed for arbitration or had players who filed for arbitration.

20. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning!
    MB cant obviously do everything by next year or maybe even by the next 3 years.

So he has to set his priorities… take his chances.

Based on what I saw last night and before, I am thinking that HABS have to make some decisions based on ‘faith’ that their choosen picks from the last few years pan out. They have to put them in the line up and develop the heck outta them.

So barring any additions from yet to be drafted players here are my changes to next year’s team:

Tinordi is in PERIOD! We’ll live with his mistakes as he grows. He was picked for a specific purpose, let’s give him a spot for him to fill it.
    Beaulieu is in from training camp and first 10 to 15 games.. as many as regulations allow us to keep him up for a good long look.

So our mobile D is Beaulieu/P.K/Diaz.

Markov is our elder statesman D.. Minutes strinently managed and PP and PK times cut down.

So that’s 4 defensemen. We then go out and get one D like O’Brien and platoon Bouillion and Drewiske as #6. There’s our three pairings.

Available for moving. Gorges (could get us something really good) Weber;Kaberle.

Then we address our biggest need and one which has no prospect in the system. We go out and get Bickell or someone like him.

Bring up Bournival.

Dump some of ‘marginal forwards’ and presto new team with only two ‘non habs’ additions. One Big D.. One Big F.

And lots of youth taking centre stage. Players like Gionta up front in Markov type role in back.

With that ‘strategy’ MB approaches the draft getting the ‘best prospects’ or using his picks/assets to fill in those two outside additions.

• Cal says:

Good morning, Trini. That’s what we’ve all been saying. One big, mean forward and the same for D.
      The team is too soft with too many small forwards and D.

• habstrinifan says:

My adjustment in thinking is from going out and trying to snare too many ‘pieces of our puzzle’. Clean out the team so to speak but do so by being bold with our insertions from the farm.

Dont bring it people to help/insulate Pleks and Gionta and DD and Gorges and P.K etc… Put in the youth whom we drafted and add two very specific pieces.

For instance I would bring replace Armstrong with Bournival.

• Cal says:

Youth movement would mean Pleks would have to go. So would some other vets. Making the playoffs means nothing if the team can’t compete. Need more toughness, especially on D and to supplement the youth up front, like Eller and Chucky.

• Chris says:

Why would you strictly manage Markov’s PP minutes when this is the role in which he excels? He is basically one of the top 3 or 4 power play quarterbacks in the entire league. This comment makes zero sense.

Beaulieu needs more time. There is no need to rush him, as Markov is better than he is and isn’t going anywhere until at least the trade deadline. If you thought Kaberle was not a 5 vs. 5 defender in the NHL, wait until you catch Beaulieu if you bring him up at the start of the season. He needs to focus on continuing to improve his positioning.

Gorges will not be traded this summer. At $3.9 M, his contract hit is too big in a year where most teams are looking to get under the cap by bringing up their own cheap options. He’s also coming off a sub-standard year, so the return would not be great. If he is traded, it will be for next season.

Bournival needs more time in the minors. He was coming along, but he needs to show that he can dominate at that level before they bring him up. Otherwise, they will delay his development. I know you are big on the kid, but there are countless players who bring what Bournival does at this point. Let him find his scoring confidence lest we end up with another Ryan White or Aaron Palushaj.

“We go out and get Bickell or someone like him.” Bickell is going to be awfully expensive. And the “somebody” like him is a bit of a laughable comment. The very uniqueness of Bickell is why somebody is going to give stupid money to a player that scored 18 goals and 47 points in his last 119 NHL games while playing about 12-13 minutes per game. Bickell had a very solid season in a contract year. His non-contract years have been less solid.

Montreal is further away from contending than this post indicates. They are, quite simply, not as good as their record indicated last year. A lot of things went right, including dodging the injury bug that was ravaging most other teams. When it finally caught up to Montreal, they were affected far more than their peers due to their lack of depth.

Similarly, the Canadiens were not as bad as the 2010-11 season suggested. They are, as always, somewhere in between: a bubble playoff team that is patiently waiting for Alex Galchenyuk to develop into the superstar forward they think they have found. The sooner that he becomes an 30 goal-80 point top-3 forward (and I’m no longer sure his future is as a centre), the sooner the Habs can contend.

• HabFab says:

Add Tinordi still needs more time in the AHL and 100%. God, I love how your mind works.

• Ed says:

I think Tinordi is ready to play on the 3rd pairing, and I think that he goes into training camp with that spot as his to lose.

• Chris says:

At times, Tinordi looked rough in the playoffs with his positioning; he was frequently making the wrong pivot and was caught flat-footed quite a bit. But you can definitely see that he is coming along nicely. I could see them bringing Tinordi up at the start of the season, as I think that Bergevin is more likely to push a youth movement than his predecessors were and Tinordi is really the only guy in the system that can play with that edge that they lack on the blue line.

My biggest worry with Tinordi is that he is going to feel some need to be an enforcer or that he needs to stick up for his teammates, as we saw with Mike Komisarek when he was in Montreal. Being big doesn’t necessarily mean that you should be the guy running into every scrum. 90% of scrums are just two players chirping anyways, so running in to defend their honour is just silly and risks injury, not to mention taking a valuable player off the ice for an extended period of time.

• Ed says:

No doubt Tinordi needs to stay away from the enforcer role. That would be a huge mistake.

• habstrinifan says:

a) I dont see our PP of last year as being one of intricacy and exquisite quarterbacking.. we shot from the point period. There were long periods of failure and long periods of success.. but very little complexity.
        b) Therrien himself said Beaulieu may be the type of player whose game is developed better in the big leagues than in the AHL. I paraphrase but Therrien said as much. I think it may be worthwhile to give him that long look I mentioned. I think Tinordi is more ready.. and as I said will make mistakes.
        c)Gorges is not going to improve or become the fundation for any team going forward. If we go with youth (plus that one addition) Gorges may be a valuable tradeable asset.
        d)Never said we were gonna be contenders… which is why I am saying start getting our team transformed by adding our much ballyhooed prospects.
        e) Bournival/White-Palushaj comparisons are inauthentic.. Bournival is a much more complete player than either and has had more individual impact than either ever did.
        f) My Bickell or someone else is imprecise I grant you. I could do the industrious thing and trot out some names.. but I think you know that I am saying get a player of his stature, youth, ability and who is at this stage in his career… if we can ‘afford’ Bickell fine… if not just dont give up.
        g) I think the Canadiens, as currently constituted, are a sbad as the ‘slumps’ of the recent seasons have indicated. I dont think we should overlook how we were never able to ‘right the ship’ in the last month or so.

Again all my impressions/opinions.. which to you may be nonsense.

• Chris says:

The Bournival/White-Palushaj comment is not at all inauthentic.

When Aaron Palushaj played in the NCAA against players that were far more physically mature than anybody that Bournival faced in his junior career, his reputation was as a dogged two-way forward with a tireless work ethic. Essentially, Palushaj’s strengths were the same things that were frequently cited for Bournival.

At 18 years old, Palushaj was a point-per-game player at one of the top hockey programs in the United States (University of Michigan). At 19, he was a league and conference All-Star after putting up 13 goals and 50 points in 39 games. He also did very well with the United States World Junior Championship team.

In his rookie season in the AHL, Palushaj put up 8 goals and 32 points in 62 games, not far off the 10 goals and 30 points in 69 games that Bournival put up.

It is only with the benefit of hindsight that you can say that Bournival is better or more complete than Palushaj.

Palushaj actually was given the time to develop in the AHL, as was Ryan White. But their offensive skills in the NHL are essentially non-existent.

With Bournival, he was a mediocre offensive player in the AHL. I’d like to see him spend a year down there with Leblanc and let those two guys develop a lot of chemistry as I see them as a big part of the Canadiens’ future as 3rd line two-way players. But if the team is going to be successful, those two need to work on their offence and they are not going to get the meaningful offensive minutes to do that in Montreal.

• Un Canadien errant says:

How about Mike Rupp? Kyle Beach? Jeff Schultz?

As far as Shane O’Brien, with Patrick Roy now the head coach in Colorado, I don’t see how we can get our hands on him. Lamentably.

• Chris says:

Rupp is too old (33) and is signed for one more season so he would have to come via trade.

Beach has huge discipline issues and hasn’t really torn it up in the AHL (plus he is a RFA). I’m not sure many teams want to go near him until he proves he isn’t a head case.

Schultz is the intriguing one. He wants out of Washington and has one year left on his contract (at $3 M). He was a top-4 defenceman in Washington for a few years and is still relatively young at 27. I would totally roll the dice on him, even if it involved potentially trading Josh Gorges for him. But fans would have to realize that it is a big gamble banking on a return to form of Schultz.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agree with and understand your reservations, but if we’re going to size up and buy low, that’s the shallow pool we’re going to have to find our fishies in.

Rupp can be had for trade (cheap) if Minny wants to dump salary.

The reasons you cite about Mr. Beach are why Chicago might be talked into letting him go. If Marc Bergevin and Rick Dudley think a change of scenery might do him good, I’d go along.

I think the Caps might be motivated sellers, as they look to lower their cap hit. We’d have the room after buying out Tomas Kaberle. I don’t think they’d want Josh Gorges in return though, they’d want someone cheap (hello Yannick Weber).

• JUST ME says:

I do not think the Habs will make major moves either by trade or ice time this season. Next year 2014- 2015 a few veterans may go but for now the young guys still need time to make it on their own. Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Pateryn will greatly benefit from guys like Markov and Bouillon. It takes time for a defensman to reach maturity and at their age they are still quite a few years away !

Not saying that Bergevin will not go for a trade but i think he will just replace the ones not coming back or possibly not like Blunden,Armstrong,Ryder,Weber and others and draft,draft,draft.

Next season should be very interresting but we must first figure out where exactly we are ..2 nd in the conference or 28 th in the league ? We must remember that in Hamilton we don`t have much and if we want to think long term there is lots of work to be done there for us to benefit from it one day.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In an ideal world, both Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu are mature enough physically and mentally for the grind of an NHL season. So we plug them in and they improve by getting their minutes in the NHL, not AHL.

Practically, in our world, where Adam McQuaid gets a grudging, belated two-minute penalty for a(n) two-hand punch/crosscheck/outright attack on Andrew Shaw, right in front of the referees, I don’t think our boys are ready. Certainly Nathan Beaulieu, who showed up to camp last season out of shape, and has shown some indiscipline, may not be ready yet for the spotlight and pressure of the big stage.

Another important consideration is that skill development is not just a function of time, of waiting for the calendar pages to flip. You learn skills by doing, by practicing. Progression is important. If you’re in an environment where you don’t have the time and space to practice these skills, to attempt them in game situations, they don’t develop.

For example, take juggling. Most everyone can learn how to juggle, you just need time and practice. YouTube must have great videos to guide you. Anyway, if you have the time, the equipment, and a practice space conducive to learning, you learn how to juggle two balls with one hand, then with the other hand, then three balls with two hands, then maybe against a wall, or bouncing off the floor, or you increase the difficulty with four or five balls. With time and practice, you hone your skills and cut down on errors, and can work with eggs or chainsaws.

If however you’re in a situation where every time you try to learn, someone comes out with a camera and points out your mistakes every time you drop a ball, and a bunch of people on a couch laugh and taunt, and an authority figure with a megaphone berates you when you don’t learn quick enough, and some people want these balls from you and tackle you to get them, you’ll never learn to juggle.

Take the first person who’s now juggling with five balls or with chainsaws though, and plug her in that inauspicious environment, and that girl can cope with the increased degree of difficulty from the couch dwellers and Captain Video and the Haranguer in Chief. She can still juggle, and will be able to juggle in most situations.

So back to Nathan and Jarred, if they’re in the NHL, and the puck is on their stick with Chris Neil or Jason Spezza bearing down on them, and the scholarly, arch Mike Boone is in the press gallery taking meticulous notes of every miscue, maybe they learn that the best, the only thing to do is to bang the puck off the boards, but quick, and every time. Doing this, they’ll keep their head above the raging waters. But they’ll never learn to juggle.

In the much calmer AHL pool however, faced with the same situation but going up against Ben Maxwell and Toby Petersen, they can learn to take the half-second to scan the ice for the outlet pass, or to decide to skate around the net while protecting the puck à la P.K. Subban, in addition to the obvious, safe, Don Cherry bang-it-off-the-glass solution.

So if they show up to camp and present the Canadiens with an inescapable conclusion, that they are more than ready, and if they, as Rick Dudley described, win the job outright, then sure they stay up with le Grand Club. Or, if it’s not decisive, we play it safe and send them down for further ripening. As Marc Bergevin famously said, we won’t regret leaving them in the AHL too long, but we might bringing them up too soon.

———————————————————————–
      “There’s a little bit of embelleshing going on. You know, on our team, we don’t accept it. You kow, it’s something we don’t accept as players, and as teammates.”–Milan Lucic.

Absolutely brilliant analogy!

• habstrinifan says:

Or as MT said “Players like Beaulieu develop better at the NHL level”.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Flip a coin, but I’m more naturally cautious, and believe in progression when developing skills, in repetition. The AHL for both our prize pupils, if I have my druthers.

• JUST ME says:

I am not sure that it is worth the risk to play Tinordi and Beaulieu full time in the NHL or to leave them in the stands in the NHL. They need to play but must not skip stages. As much as i would love to see more kids make it as P.K. did , one must admit that on defense it takes time to mature and P.K.`S incredible path was not without bumps…
        Would not want two very promissing young guys to get wasted because the big team needs them . Actually Hamilton needs them more than the habs do and one more year in the minors will not make a difference for the Habs but will make one for the 2 guys.

It has been one of the main problems being blamed on the Habs. Not enough time to develop and no expert to do the follow up. Now that we have a real coaching staff in Hamilton, let them do their job.

• Chris says:

Not to mention that P.K. DID play a full season in the AHL (with a 2 game call-up) where he was utterly dominant. What people don’t see is just how much his defensive game improved during that year. He was prone to running around in his own zone in junior, and he became a much better positional defender in Hamilton.

Tinordi is the closest to being ready of the guys that were mentioned, and that is mostly because of need. Beaulieu has some huge warts on his game, and Bournival has to demonstrate offensive excellence in junior to build his confidence. We saw what happened when Louis Leblanc skipped that AHL step, and Max Pacioretty had to go back to that step when he came up.

Bournival might be mature enough to handle the NHL (I don’t know enough about his personality), but he’s not yet good enough.

• JF says:

I don’t think the youth are ready to take centre stage, and both Bournival and Beaulieu need more time in Hamilton. Beaulieu is an adventure in his own end; he needs to improve his positioning and defensive game. What is the rush with these young players? We certainly will not be contenders this year, probably not for at least a couple of years. We need to develop the kids properly, bring them up only when they’re ready.

As for your other suggestions, I would love to get Brian Bickell, but not at the price he will almost certainly command. I imagine Bergevin is looking for a cheaper option, and I wouldn’t be surprised of he found it – some player who is completely off the radar and whose name we barely know. And I don’t think now is the right time to trade Gorges. He, like Desharnais, had a sub-par season. Both players may rebound, and neither would fetch much this summer, especially with the cap going down.

Bergevin does not have much room to maneuver at this point. Unless he can pull off a trade, I think the new faces on the team will be mainly depth additions. We’re going in the right direction, but it’s going to take time – time to rebuild the depth that was sacrificed by the previous regime’s squandering of picks and prospects. I think both fans and media were fooled a bit by our great regular season into thinking we’re better than we are. Our playoff performance paints a truer picture, and showed up clearly our lack of depth.

• habstrinifan says:

You made the Bickell ‘argument’ much better than I did … Thank you!

• Chris says:

I agree with the Bickell comment. His increased profile is pricing him beyond the means of most contenders. Unless he decides to take one for the team to enjoy future success, he’s looking for a big payday as he has been largely playing for near the league minimum the throughout his career.

The problem is that Bickell types just aren’t out there on the free agency market. I’ve scoured that UFA list as I think Bergevin is most likely to look for a rugged forward that can play top-9 minutes.

My two controls are that the player has to have the speed to play top-9 minutes and has to be below age 30. I don’t see Bergevin chasing after 30+ forwards who will be in decline by the time the Canadiens are true contenders.

That limits the list dramatically:

Guillaume Latendresse (26) – too slow, too injury prone, history
        Kyle Chipchura (27) – too slow
        Maxim Lapierre (28) – not particularly physical, better suited to fourth line
        Nathan Horton (29) – way too expensive
        Ryan Jones (29) – coming off a brutal season, but had 17 and 18 goals in two previous years; has decent speed
        David Clarkson (29) – way too expensive

They only guy I can see Bergevin actively targeting in that list is Ryan Jones, with a small chance that he would also look at Lapierre. But Jones certainly is not even close to the same type of player as Bickell in terms of physical play. Jones is a guy who could be had a bit cheaper, as he got a late start due to an eye injury and then got nailed by a nasty flu. His season never really got on track.

21. habs001 says:

Niklas Hjalmarsson seems to be in panic mode when he is on the ice..he has real problems handling the Bruins pressure…

22. twilighthours says:

Timo, good to hear from you, man. Hope everything is good in your neck of the woods

23. ClutchNGrab says:

About Frolik on Krug. Here’s a .gif of the play:

Here’s what rule 57.1 says:

If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shall be assessed

So, Frolik touches the puck first, and I don’t know what Krug is trying to do but he looks like he doesn’t want Frolik to pass by him. I don’t see a penalty, yet Kerry Fraser twitted otherwise earlier.

• Marc10 says:

Exactly. He was playing the puck. It’s really Krug’s fault for putting his giant feet in the way. And then there was the embellishment on Krug’s part which we’re trying to take out of the game…

24. 1010 says:

Gotta love the logic Clod applies to the two stars getting injured tonight. Bergeron gets injured on a harmless play and Toews gets attacked to the head by Boychuk. Seems like a a fair trade off according to Clod.

GO HABS…

25. 1010 says:

So I wonder does the Goon Boychuk get a suspension for attacking Toews head tonight or did it not happen…

GO HABS…

26. 1010 says:

Man…,..I can`t believe how much I hate Boston. Right now, I love Toews. That`s how much I HATE Boston. The guy had brass b—s tonight. GO HAWKS GO.

GO HABS…

Here is what I am wondering. Hawks seem to have a tendency to collapse in the middle in their own end leaving Bruins point men with lots of time to get a shot. By contrast Bruins are very aggressive on point men and especially on PP it brings great results. Why would a team play the system Hawks (and Habs) play?

Man, Bruins can say whatever they want, but they got with an enormous amount of sh!t tonight so that trip on Krug is nothing but poetic justice. Unfortunately, I think Hawks will be drawing on a short end of the penalties in the next game. And how can a team loaded with that much talent suck so badly on a powerplay?

• ZepFan2 says:

You: And how can a team (Chicago) loaded with that much talent suck so badly on a powerplay?

You: Bruins are very aggressive on point men and especially on PP it brings great results.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

29. ClutchNGrab says:

Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Bickell, Crawford hard to believe one team drafted so many talents. Except for Bickell and Crawford there is a good chance we’ll all see them in Sochi.

30. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Bergeron is done, the Bruins are done. The way Bergeron got so easily concussed earlier this season, I’m surprised this has not happened sooner.

• Marc10 says:

There would certainly be a bit of karma at work there… A guy plays on a line with Brad Marchand who cheap shots and head hunts with the best of them and gets away with it…

Could the 8 year deal be in jeopardy? In any event, I don’t see the Bruins winning without him. He’s by far and away their most complete and best player.

• Timo says:

Toews can be gone too. I would not count Bruins out in any situation. Besides, Hawks showed that they can very easily dial in a stinker.

• The Jackal says:

Timo, people have wondered what your comments would be like if the Habs were in the finals/won a cup. Just replace Habs for Hawks in your psots and voila! :D

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

31. AH says:

YESSSS!!! Go Hawks Go! Awww…did you see poor crybaby ape Lucic complaining about being tripped, LOL, all the crap that big dink gets away with and he’s whining. I would have loved to have seen the refs call him for unsportsmanlike conduct for breaking his stick! I remember as a kid we lost a close game in a tournament, I threw my stick across the ice…and got suspended for the next game lol!

32. habstrinifan says:

This actually feels kinda good… almost like a HABS win… almost.

33. habstrinifan says:

This game changed my mind re HABS defense.

Provided Beaulieu is the real deal and Tinordi is the real deal..
    if we have a defense of P.K;Beaulieu;Tinordi and get two huge other D men similar to Shane O’Brien whom we coulda had for pittance once… then HABS will have a better D that either Boston or Chicago.

But Beaulieu and Tinordi must reach their full potential and P.K cant regress.

34. HabFab says:

God I love it when the goons lose….

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Bergeron taken to hospital.

I’d feel worse for him if Boychuck hadn’t put Toews out of the game with a blindside hit to the head.

36. habstrinifan says:

So who still thinks we shouldnt make a try for Bickell. We gotta try.

Wonder what’s wrong with Toews..and Bergeron.

37. SlovakHab says:

Someone actually predicted a 3-1 Chicago win earlier.. wow!

38. Thurston says:

I do enjoy it when the Bruins complain about the officiating. It’s not like they’ve gotten away with stuff in recent memory.

39. habstrinifan says:

Well folks.. I called it 3-1.

You can check all the sources in Hockeyland and no one else called
    the score.

I could give you the LOTTO649 winning numbers for next week butthat wont be fair to the person in Northern Ontario who’s gonna be buying the winning ticket tomorrow.

40. Lafrich says:

Awwww…I feel really bad for Lucic….NOT!!!

41. SmartDog says:

YEEHAWWW!!!

Now we get to hear Julien whine!! Can’t WAIT!!!!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

42. pmaraw says:

lol@ sleuth foot before goal lol @ bruins lololol

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well the ‘Hawks have had a good tutor, that’s the trademark Brad Marchand move. I don’t know how my best friend Milan had the nerve to complain about it. But I guess moral consistency is not something he worries about.

———————————————————————–

Johnny Boychuck with a long hard one.

44. Steven says:

Oh God, You May Also Like is showing me articles of Game 14 vs the Oilers in the 15th place season and the search for a new GM/Rangers and Devils go to Conference Finals.

It’s time we do away with that thing…

45. Marc10 says:

Rats! Giant pylon scores…

Hawks D completely collapsed. Now it gets interesting…

46. Adidess says:

Out enjoying this game. Lots of fans in Ottawa bar watching, the majority pulling for the Hawks … Cool people :)

Could Crawford get a … after everybody was arguing he has been solved with that glove hole problem?

47. Un Canadien errant says:

It would be more fun, and would hint at a fundamental justice that rules the universe, if the game was 3-0 or 4-0. Having said that, it’s still enjoyable seeing Zdeno Chara stand all forlornly forlorn after getting scored on, and being all frantic giraffe before the horn, and catatonic horrorionette bathed in red light after.

———————————————————————–

48. SmartDog says:

Hossa is so slick. Great to watch.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

49. jols101 says:

McQuaid with a vicious cross-check to Shaw’s face. Only 2 minutes. Crazy.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

This is like roller derby without the humour.

Why is a cross check to the face only 2 min?

51. jols101 says:

What we are witnessing here is what i thought the Pens were going to do to the Bruins.
    Quick transition and relentless fore checking.

• SmartDog says:

Yep.

Two differences. One, the Blackhawks are a more complete team with great D support and more fluid play. Two, guys like Bickell and even smaller guys like Shaw are wearing down Chara.

Pens were arrogant. Thought they’d just walk through the Bruins. Stupids are golfing now.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

52. H.Upmann says:

You gotta love it Bickell grinding it out for trews and kane

53. H.Upmann says:

5 colour suits…. Zesty!

54. Plekasuares says:

Judging by the score of the last game i should be into this. Sadly, i am rather bored with this series and just want free agency and the draft to happen. Maybe because it is June 23 and hockey is still on. Anyways anyone else bored and want more habs coverage?

55. habstrinifan says:

Missing my company end of year dinner cause

a: I hate them all and they all hate me(actually just not into sit down meal with bunch of people mood).

b: Cause I wanna watch hockey (Hawks better win)

So aimlessly wandering the web looking for reading stuff.

This site has ‘old stuff’ but not bad reading. Links to two ‘items’

I didnt know this is how Tony Marinaro started in the business.

56. Old Bald Bird says:

The Leaf Jungle guys sucks them in again. When will they every learn? :idea: :oops:

57. habstrinifan says:

Prediction for tonight… easy win for Chicago. Score very likely 3-1.

Why?

I think Jonathan Toews will have his best game of the playoffs. I think the break helped whatever ‘injuries’ he may have and the win in Boston loosened him up a bit and he is now less nervous etc. I am basing all this on his frank post game 4 comments.

Expect Captain Serious to be in fine form tonight.

Make it so trini.

I’m going over to a buddy’s house to watch the game, he’s a Canucks fan, and we agreed that we couldn’t watch a full game, too hard to stomach 60 minutes of Bruins, and for him of ‘Hawks as well. He agrees Chicago is the lesser of two evils.

• habstrinifan says:

I cant find the exact quote but I like what I heard Toews say about ‘fearing Chara’ couple days ago. I also like Toews recent public persona in contrast to earlier in the playoffs when he appeared to be wired too tightly and very hard on himself etc.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just got back, saw the Bruins make it close in the third. Stupid Chara.

A good loss though, a balm for our collective soul.

As much as I think Colton Orr is awful and shouldn’t be in the NHL, the Leafs made good use of him in the playoffs, siccing him on Zdeno Chara. That’s at least one thing he can do, hit the big slow-moving target, and he did a good job of it. You could tell the Bruins’ ape was getting discombobulated, he’s not used to getting hit, he’s used to immunity. The ‘Hawks coaches probably watched that video and showed it to Brian Bickell and told him to do the same. Even if he doesn’t ‘win’ most collisions, it bothers Zdenorang.

• habstrinifan says:

Well said.. it worked to perfection. Chara scored but he really wasnt a factor defensively.

58. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Emelin should have won the Hart Trophy as his team’s MVP. After he went down the whole team disintegrated. This team needs to fire Timmins and the entire scouting staff. They are idiots who have passed on Giroux and Getzlaf to draft David Fischer and AK46. That is grounds for dismissal right there.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

And what about all the other scouting directors and GMs who passed on those players as well? What about all the very good draft picks made by Timmins? Like, oh…I don’t know…that P.K. guy turned out okay, I suppose.

*Yawn*

• wjc says:

Drafting wasn’t perfect fire em all. I have a challenge for you. While you still have time put down the six or seven you think the habs should draft this year. We will bring it out in 4 years and see how you do.

Fire em all…….dismissals all around…..chop heads……fire em all.

wjc

• wildwilly says:

What are you, nuts? Timmins has found some excellent players, mostly in lower-placed picks: PK (2nd Round), Ryan MacDonough (mid-first), Max Pacioretty (late first), Gallagher (fifth round)…

Not every player lives up to potential but he is much more successful than many. It is easy to look with 20-20 hindsight.

• Plekasuares says:

ET LE BUT PLEKANATS

59. JayK-47 says:

In Burlington VT, getting the last of my whirlwind vacation tour done. Back down to earth in 2 days. Looking forward ti working out, eating healthy and spending days on HIO.

Saludos amigos!

60. Loonie says:

I hope the love fest has some kind of logical justification next season and not just the allure of change and promise.

61. HabFab says:

HabsWorld reporting Habs sign trio of QMJHL players;

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m trying to figure this out. Are we talking NHL contracts, or AHL?

The Canadiens have 32 players currently under contract, if we add Darren Dietz, Magnus Nygren and Mike Condon, that’s 35. We assume Sebastian Collberg stays at Frolunda one more season, and Charles Hudon goes back to Chicoutimi-WJC, so their contract ‘slide’ and don’t count against the limit. We add Whitey, that’s 36, then Yannick, Mike Blunden and Gabriel Dumont, makes 39. The two Hamilton goalies make it 41.

We’ve got 41 contracts as of now, but still need to replace Michael Ryder, Colby Armstrong, Jeff Halpern. That would take us to 44. I guess we can fit in three more contracts, but that’s pretty close to the limit of 50.

• HabFab says:

First of all the Habs haven’t announced it but since they show up on the Habs reserved list at NHL.com then it would be NHL contracts.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Already eh? I’ve been googling, and no one other than Habsworld has the news up.

Found the page, here’s the link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?team=MTL#?navid=nav-ply-plyrs

Nothing too exciting, decent players who have gone through the draft and not been picked, or picked but not signed.

• HabFab says:

Just depth for Hamilton. A scorer, a two way skater and a power forward. All leaders.

• HabFab says:

Surprised to see two names on that Reserve list. Kishel and Johnson were NCAA players, whom Montreal did not offer contracts to upon graduation.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I guess it doesn’t hurt to add prospects, longshots though they may be. I looked at the Bulldogs’ roster a few weeks ago, and concluded that they needed veteran help, AHL soldiers who can support all the kids there. Three more raw rookies added to last year’s group continues to tilt the balance toward inexperience.

I’m sure a couple of these guys will find their way to Wheeling, so there’s still room to add that veteran, character punch.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not sure why Scott Kishel and Patrick Johnson are still on the list, Habs Prospects (http://habsprospects.com/draft.html) has them properly listed as no longer with the team. Also, Daniel Prybil and Olivier Archambault are both off the NHL page already. Must be a glitch.

I notice that Nathan MacAulay and Gabriel Desjardins are both left wingers who shoot lefty. After I decried in my post the dearth of left wingers in Hamilton.

And floridahabs thinks Marc Bergevin doesn’t read my posts…

62. Fransaskois says:

@Chris, @Commandant @Whoever else might know……

Dunboyne Mike, Maritime and I had been chatting this morning about the difficulties of signing Free Agents in Montreal. A wonderful discussion that eventually lead to me looking into some yet-to-break-out players that could be signed at cheaper deals but would still bring an impact to the team. Ideas on who may be available? I’d listed Jerome Samson, Jesse Joensuu and Matt Pelech as UFAs that may fit that description and may have a shot at playing in our lineup next year. Any opinions on those players?

• montreal ace says:

Fransaskois, I read your post this morning about these players, and looked them up. I really like suggestions like yours, when it comes to players that might be improvements over what we have now, and that fly under the radar.

• Chris says:

Honestly don’t know enough about any of those guys to comment one way or the other. But I do agree with you that these are the types of players that are most likely to be targeted, cheap under-the-radar players that can fill roles on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I don’t see them targeting Pelech, though, as he is not really an upgrade on what we already have. Unless it is a clear upgrade, I think Bergevin would be more likely to run with Tinordi for the season.

63. pmaraw says:

someone tell emelin that next time he wants to hit lucic, lead with a cross check :o

64. mike3131 says:

Unlike what most seem to think here, I actually think Torts is a good fit for Vancouver. Despite their talent and depth, they lost a lot of respect around the NHL for being a soft team that lacks character and gives up when the going gets tough. Torts will not accept that, and will at least provide some character and response.

65. mike3131 says:

• Un Canadien errant says:

We can hope, but I’m not that optimistic. The Canucks have tonnes of character already. Henrik and Daniel, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Burrows, these guys play as hard as anyone in the league. What they lack is balance in the lineup, and some toughness to measure up in the size race that is happening right now. Mike Gillis tried to build a talented, speedy team to provide entertaining, spectacular hockey, and like Bob Gainey ran up against the Bruins-managed NHL.

So John Tortorella can rant and rave all he wants, he’s not going to motivate any more the veteran, dedicated core that is already there. He’s not going to palliate for the loss of Luc Bourdon and Christian Erhoff. In fact, he’s going to have to adapt his system and coaching philosophy, or he’ll be using the tools he has all wrong, and fail spectacularly.

• wjc says:

Why do we hope Torts does well….down with the Canucks.

Bad news Vancouver will win the cup next year and Torts will be coach of the year.

Media love him….good copy. Players love him…..takes the heat off.

He will succeed spectacularly.

wjc

• Habfan10912 says:

Media loves him? Ask Brooksie and Sam Rosen.
          Players love him? Ask Gaborik and a fella named the King. We’ll skip Sean Avery.
          As for the Canucks winning the cup, we’ll have to wait for that one.

66. SmartDog says:

It’s hard not to think that the Habs are in a pretty good position going forward.

Reading that article on Pateryn makes me feel pretty good about our future on D.

He’s only about 5th in our prospect pool of defenseman, yet had a good year after he came back from injury. Marc’s really got a LOT in the cupboard there (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz). We should have a solid young D AND good trade bait. And that’s before our six picks this year.

We’re pretty much set at Center for the next few years. (And we do have a couple of strong wingers in Patches, Gallagher and Prust. Up front we have a couple of good looking prospects but no stars though).

So ALL we really need are wingers. That’s it:
    – 1 top 6 F with size and power
    – 1 sniper (to replace Gionta next year)
    – some good depth guys

With all the good D prospects and a variety of okay F prospects, and these up-coming picks (six in the first three rounds) Bergevin should be in a good position to pick up whatever he needs to add to a team whose needs are really only in ONE POSITION: wing. And that’s mostly depth, specialists. Here’s hoping Marc does what he needs to bring in the character and make smart trades. Despite all his “build through the draft” talk, I think he’s just making a point – that we are looking for a long term strategy, not trying to buy a cup (like the previous regime did). He’ll still make FA pick-ups and trades where the opportunity presents. And it will.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• commandant says:

I wouldn’t be afraid to draft Centres. Centres can always be converted to wing, and when we look at the system and at Hamilton there really isn’t a lot at center. Yes we have the guys in Montreal (AG, Eller) who are young, but behind them its Dumont, Bournival and Vail. Not exactly the greatest group of Centre prospects.

I believe in depth in all positions.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. I’ll take a more talented centre over a winger, despite the perceived need at wing. A lot can change in the couple of years minimum it will take to get these guys ready to play. Let’s get some good players, and worry about where they’ll play when the time comes.

• Marc10 says:

Just like you can’t get enough good D… same goes for centres. Agreed.

@UCe: What points did I bring up again? Are you talking about my 5 pillars?

draft high
    draft often
    draft well in the later rounds
    development, coaching and mentoring
    astute trades and forays into free agency

• Un Canadien errant says:

You can search the threads from when I posted that originally. I bet it’s about strategic thinking, short-term pain for long-term gain, but you used that word which I abhor, probably. Anyway, you inspired me, and I camed up with this muchly intelligent post, easy ways to improve our team in a salary cap world, and what do you know, they mostly came to pass.

When Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau were hired, I thought we were set, that we had a leadership team that would set us up for a decade. I was so stunned when Pierre Gauthier was fired and the dirty laundry was finally aired by our valiant press corps. I can’t believe what a nickel and dime operation we ran, with all the resources at our disposal.

Whiffing on a draft pick is understandable, and making a bad trade happens. What is incomprehensible is that we didn’t have the management structure in place to put the odds in our favour. I now wonder, when Trevor Timmins went with David Fischer in 2006, he went with a player he knew and had been following since his early teens, which is fine, but was that caused by not having enough staff to do the homework on the other guys available, including the guy in our own backyard that Philadelphia got?

Anyway, some posters are already down on Marc Bergevin, and Nuna is operating on another plane of consciousness about Geoff Molson, but I’m satisfied with the way the team has invested, and built a strong, deep, varied hierarchy, and provided lots of resources so we find the best prospects possible and coach them up as best we can.

We may not have the best coaches, there may be some better managers out there, but we can’t fault our guys for not doing a proper job, and trying to do the best they can.

———————————————————————–

68. frontenac1 says:

Welcome aboard Denjen. Keep yer head up amigo!

69. Denjen says:

Hey all! First time poster,been coming to the site for 5 + yrs finally came on board.Look forward to the coming yr starting with the draft boys!

70. frontenac1 says:

@Burly. Heading up to bear country? Don’t forget your gun amigo. Those bruins can get nasty. Saludos!