Emelin will be in Habs lineup against Lightning

Alexei Emelin, who returned to Montreal on Monday for family reasons, rejoined the Canadiens Tuesday in Tampa and was on the ice for a morning skate as the team prepared to face the Lightning Tuesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The return of Emelin means defenceman Jarred Tinordi will be a healthy scratch for the second straight game. Carey Price will start in goal for the Canadiens, while Ben Bishop will be in the Lightning net.

The lines at Tuesday’s morning skate were the same as during Monday’s practice, with Lars Eller on the third line with Daniel Briere and Brian Gionta, while Rene Bourque drops to the fourth line with Ryan White and Michael Bournival. George Parros will be a healthy scratch.

The game could be a playoff preview with the Canadiens and Lightning looking like they will be first-round opponents.

“Given that this could be a playoff preview tonight, this is a game that everyone’s been waiting for,” defenceman Francis Bouillon told reporters in Tampa after the morning skate. “We’re two teams that play similar styles of hockey. They’ve got good depth, a good goaltender and also a lot of speed. It’s important for us to go out there and win this one to earn a playoff spot. It’s an important game and we definitely want to win it.”

The Canadiens have won five straight and can clinch a playoff spot with a win over the Lightning. In the first three meetings between the teams this season, one went to overtime and two went to a shootout with the Lightning holding a 2-0-1 record.

Said Lightning sniper Steven Stamkos: “We’re fighting with them for home ice. It’s going to be a playoff atmosphere. … We’re not worried about the playoffs now, we’re just worried about playing hockey and getting as many points to finish as high as we can.”

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty was announced Tuesday as the Molson Cup winner for the February-March segment of the season based on three-star voting. Pacioretty, who has a career-high 35 goals this season, was named the first star four times during that segment of the season.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings are expected to look for the Canadiens against the Lightning:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Eller-Briere-Gionta
Bourque-White-Bournival

Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Subban
Murray-Weaver

In other news, prospects Connor Crisp and Brady Vail have both signed contracts with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs after completing their junior seasons.

Crisp, a 6-foot-3, 226-pound forward, played 67 games with the OHL’s Sudbury Wolves this season, posting 28-27-55 totals and 120 penalty minutes. He was selected by the Canadiens in the third round (71st overall) of the 2013 NHL draft.

Vail, a 6-foot, 194-pound forward played 67 games with the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires this season, posting 32-51-83 totals and 39 penalty minutes. He was selected by the Canadiens in the fourth round (94th overall) at the 2012 NHL draft.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Lightning preview, NHL.com

Game Day report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Game notes

Lightning vs. Habs possible playoff preview, Tampa Bay Times

Playoff clinching scenarios, NHL.com

Bulldogs sign Crisp, Vail, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Tim Bozon’s family facing large medical bill, CBC.ca

1. Habfun says:

I posted the prank I pulled below earlier today. When I left work they were having a contest on TSN Radio 1200 in Ottawa about the best prank of the day. I told them my story and the called me back and said I won tickets to the SEns Devils game April 10th. I was hoping it was for Friday’s game. But I’ll take it, 2nd level front row.
    ______________________________________________________
    My wife is a die hard Sens fan. I called her at work and told her there was a press conference on the radio and Melnyk had claimed bankruptcy and the team has folded and the balance of this years senators games have been cancelled. (man she almost started crying). we talked for a minute and before I hung up I said remember what day it is. She called me back 2 minutes later and called me an A…ole. I’m afraid to go home at 5:00pm

It’s all about the CH

2. frontenac1 says:

Party next store amigos. Open Bar.

3. Habilis says:

Off topic: Eklund has gone through the looking glass.

I’ll preface this by admitting that yes, I visit hockeybuzz on occasion. I rarely actually read Eklund’s stuff though, I visit the site to read Eric Engels (who is pretty solid, IMHO) and a few of the other team specific guys.

That being said, I do click on the Eklund pieces from time to time, when they pique my interest. Of course I always take anything he writes with a truckload of salt, because he’s wrong 99.99% of the time.

But what he wrote today is just bonkers: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/SourcesThe-NFL-Prepping-HUGE-Offers-to-Buy-the-NHL-and-MLB/1/59062

To sum it up, the NFL is going to offer the NHL owners 3 billion to merge both leagues and pair the franchises under single names. Short term, the NHL cities with no NFL counterparts (incuding all of Canada) would be paired with franchises in the south (they use Montreal and New Orleans as an example here because of French, creating the Montreal Saints… yeah). The eventual goal would be relocating the NHL teams to the NFL cities or else just letting Canada set up their own league in concert with the CFL.

I’ve read some ridiculous stuff on there over the years, but this is by far the most asinine concoction of drivel I’ve ever seen.

4. coltdiamond says:

How big/how much is the beer at the Bell Centre? Going for the first time this Saturday. What is the view like from Section 206? Any suggestions on good restaurants to go before or after the game??

• CJ says:

If you are in section 206, I wouldn’t go for dinner. I used to have season tickets in this section (club Desjardins). Free food and nonalcoholic drinks. In fact, my tickets were in section 206.

View is amazing. You are behind the Habs net, off to the corner. Excellent sight lines. Easy in and out. You will not be disappointed.

5. BriPro says:

Slow day on here, I see.

6. Mr_MacDougall says:

Ugh, 118 inches of snow fell in Charlottetown, PE so far this winter.. And we had a storm the past two days (school has been cancelled the past 5 days in a row). Winds have been howling….

However, I could be a Leaf fan….

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• slapshot777 says:

Tell me about it. Here in Newfoundland same storm is giving us a good pounding. Started yesterday, all day today and still forecast for tomorrow. Schools also closed and I couldn’t even make it into work today, too much snow to get through.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• How’s the skiing… oops, it’s the Island mon!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

7. AH says:

No Prust, Parros, or Moen, so who keeps Malone and Gudas (sp.?) in line tonight?

8. Mattyleg says:

I have to laugh (in a bitter, cynical way, I admit) when I see the way the standings are listed now.

It’s so obfuscatory.

A quick glance at them, and Toronto is in 4th in the Eastern Conference.

I know that nobody who understands hockey knows that is true, but it’s really stupid that there are two sets of teams listed 1-2-3, then 1-10 under the Wild Card heading.

So unnecessarily complicated and designed to make ‘Everyone Feel Like A Winner’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

That’s the same as the three point game. Look at the expanded standings today. Ottawa, in 22nd place overall still has a chance to make it. I get the implications. Fans remain interested. Tickets continue to be bought and sold. Merchandise, concessions….

As the cap rises and ticket prices increase the league will need to continue to be creative in creating value. The current point structure helps to extend hope, where none exists.

Ribbons for everyone!

• Trophies for everyone who shows up… Oh, sorry young man, I forgot to give you your trophy.

What? You didn’t come to the last 4 games?

No problem. Here’s your trophy just for being on the team…

… your team was dead last you say…?

No problem, you’re still part of the league so trophies for everyone!

What? Your trophy is smaller than the winning-est team in the league and the ones who sweated, toiled, fought injuries, had the right, smartest management and coaches as well as talent?

No problem, here, let me take that trophy from them and give it to you little boy. Now doesn’t that make you feel like a winner?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

9. youngwun says:

I’m excited for tonight. Feels like a playoff game.

10. Chris says:

And then there is what could shape up to be the best series in the CHL playoffs this season, as the Guelph Storm (ranked 2nd in the country) host the 6th ranked London Knights in Game #1 tomorrow night.

This one is shaping up to be a doozy, despite long suspensions handed out to players from each team. Guelph probably suffered the more serious hit, losing Brock McGinn for the duration of the second round. McGinn finished the season with 43 goals and 85 points in 58 games. London lost starting goaltender Anthony Stolarz for the duration of the series, but they can turn to 19 year old Jake Patterson, who closed out the OHL finals last season. Patterson is definitely a downgrade on Stolarz, but he’s still solid.

Both teams feature talented and deep forward corps. If Robby Fabbri returns from his head injury, the Storm’s top-6 of Jason Dickinson, Robby Fabbri, Scott Kosmachuk, Kerby Rychel, Zack Mitchell and Ryan Horvat is probably a little stronger than the Knights’ top-6 of Max Domi, Josh Anderson, Chris Tierney, Bo Horvat, Ryan Rupert and Matt Rupert.

The bottom-6 of the Knights is probably the best in the country. The Brett Welychka-Michael McCarron-Gemel Smith is outstanding, and their 4th line of rookies Chandler Yakimowicz-Mitchell Marner-Owen MacDonald has a lot of talent, particularly Marner. Guelph’s bottom six is more traditional: the third line of Justin Auger-Stephen Pierog-Tyler Bertuzzi features gritty players in Pierog and Bertuzzi and some good skill (Bertuzzi was a point-per-game player when healthy, and has seemingly taken up where he left off back in December, while Auger can give teams fits with his size). The fourth line of Swiss import Pius Suter (whose two-way game has been very effective at filling in Robby Fabbri’s minutes) between 6’3″ 230 pound battering ram Chadd Bauman and skilled rookie Adam Craievich can give opposing teams fits.

On defence, Guelph gets the clear edge. The Knights’ Nikita Zadorov has been lights out in the playoffs so far, but the Storm’s quartet of Matt Finn, Steven Trojanovic, Nick Ebert and Zac Leslie is as good as any defence corps in the country. They give huge offence (all four finished with more than 40 points on the season) and play solid defence.

The goaltending is a question mark for both teams. Guelph Justin Nichols is undersized but athletic. He can be sensational, but he is also prone to laying an egg. Patterson is a decent goalie, but he occasionally struggles with his confidence.

My heart is staying Guelph in 6 games, but my head is saying London in 6. If Robby Fabbri can’t return from his head injury, then this is London’s series to lose, as the loss of 40+ goal scorers Fabbri and McGinn should be insurmountable.

I’m still cursing McGinn for his reckless and stupid hit that resulted in the suspension. Guelph should have had a top-9 of:

Jason Dickinson-Robby Fabbri-Scott Kosmachuk
    Kerby Rychel-Zack Mitchell-Brock McGinn
    Ryan Horvat-Stephen Pierog-Tyler Bertuzzi

Those lines could easily have gone toe to toe with the Knights. But now, I am not so sure.

• B says:

I believe Game 1 of the Storm vs Knights series is Friday night in Guelph at 7:30 PM. The game is on Sportsnet1.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chris says:

Whoops…yes, I meant Friday night. I was getting ahead of myself (I’ve been thinking it was Thursday numerous times today…have no idea why!).

Have to look into tickets for Game 1, already have them for Game 2. London fans will be invading Guelph, so tickets are harder to get in this series.

11. UKRAINIANhab says:

Dammit 1-0 United…

12. Sportfan says:

The post below about the ways the habs could clinch tonight was from NHL.com.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. scamorza says:

Apologies for posting to everyone – meant for the Ottawa area folks – if in Gatineau is it relatively easy to cross over into Ottawa and run on the canal. I know that Gatineau ( near museum of history) is right near downtown but are the bridges pedestrian friendly / easy to run or only for automobile traffic
    Thanks

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• CJ says:

I was just at the museum of civilization (history) on Saturday. I crossed over from Sussex. I don’t believe that there is a pedestrian portion of the bridge, however I will confirm when I go to the next Gatineau Olympiques game.

• twilighthours says:

Run in Gatineau park! It’s amazing. Not sure if you’re a trail runner or how snow covered the trails are, but it would be a rewarding adventure.

• Mavid says:

there are several bridges that link Gatinau with downtown. The portage bridge links Gatineau with Lebreton Flats, which is Wellington st that runs all the way to the Canal..google bridges from Gatineau to Ottawa there is a Wikipedia list of all the bridges and were then connect..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• scamorza says:

Thanks everyone appreciate the feedback! and like the trail running opportunity
        Yves

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

14. TheCanadianDagger says:

Any “We Want Vigneault” chant coming from the stands of Rogers Arena tonight?

15. Hobie Hansen says:

Well I guess no Parros tonight. Feel bad for the guy. He’s like a prize boxer who hung on just a bit too long. All the best George!

• CH Marshall says:

I think he’ll do well after hockey with say the NHLPA or something. Really don’t want to see him get smoked another time.

• CJ says:

It’s sad. I just this afternoon watched his first fight of the season against Orr. I thought we really had something. Unfortunately the second fight knocked him down a peg. The loss to Boulton and subsequent second concussion floored the big guy.

That however was nothing compared with what I watched Saturday night. He’s done. In fact, I think it’s a risk just having him in the lineup. The team has done well by him with a fair salary and the opportunity for a curtain call in Anaheim and Florida. That said, it’s over.

16. Chris says:

While the Erie and Sault Ste. Marie already have pretty much the worst travel schedules in the OHL (along with Ottawa), you’ve got to feel for them in the second round. Travelling back and forth from Erie to Sault Ste. Marie is going to involve a lot of long bus rides.

Should be a good series, though. The Greyhounds are one of the better defensive teams in the OHL, while the Otters have great offensive depth. Both teams have good goalies — Erie’s Oscar Dansk led the OHL in GAA, while Matt Murray was seen as one of the top 2 or 3 goalies in the league by most pundits. Both feature an offensive dynamo: Erie’s Connor McDavid is the current wunderkid in the CHL, so good that he would probably go first overall if he were drafted a year early, while Sergey Tolchinsky is probably the closest player to Pavel Datsyuk in junior hockey today.

• Coach K says:

Should be an excellent matchup. Coach Keefe has the Greyhounds playing outstanding hockey. Best young coach out there IMO!!

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

17. Chris says:

Well, Game 7 of the Peterborough – Kingston series tonight in the OHL. Kingston came into the playoffs as my dark-horse pick for the weaker Eastern Conference slot in the finals, after they came into the playoffs on a hot streak (7-1-1-1 in their last 10 games of the season).

They jumped out to a 3-0 series lead, and have now seen that evaporate. I blame them for changing from a Montreal Canadiens themed logo when they were the old Kingston Canadians to their current spoked-K reminiscent of the Bruins. It would be a shame to see them waste a pretty talented team.

• CJ says:

Not only have they surrendered a 3-0 series advantage, but they were ahead 3-0 in game six.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Just in case you guys are interested and don’t know? I noticed the OHL games are free on Rogers cable on the Center Ice package right now. At least the Peterborough game was on Sunday.

• ffenliv says:

Having been born and raised in Peterborough … GO PETES GO!

Wish I could make the game tonight, but it’s about 1500km from me, which is a bit undoable.

• Chris says:

The Petes were the closest team to me growing up (I grew up in Bancroft), but I couldn’t stand them for some reason.

I mostly cheer for Guelph (having now lived here since the 1990’s) and Belleville. And I cheer for whoever is playing London, a team I hate with the heat of a millions suns.

They are the Bruins and Flyers (rolled into one) of junior hockey, but they are unfortunately successful. Their coach is a jerk, and it unfortunately tends to rub off on the players. This year’s Knights are probably the most likable team they have had in years…not too many clowns on this team.

• ffenliv says:

I’ve been saying for years that the Knights got lucky at the luckiest possible time. They were terrible for ages. Then, they got good one year. They happened to get good right at the time that the NCAA was becoming a serious threat for top players.

Since the Knights were kings of them mountain then, they became a natural target for players who were willing to exploit the ‘going to the NCAA’ routine.

London has scored some real lower-round draft choices, and it’s not because their scouting is amazing. It’s because weaker teams know they won’t report to other teams.

Junior hockey used to be very cyclical, but in the OHL anyway, London has nearly ended that all by themselves. I’m glad the franchise finally had some success, but now Knights fans (and I lived in London for 6 years) act as though their franchise is just amazing, and if other teams would be better, players would go.

Newsflash, Knights fans: it’s very, very hard for other teams to get good now.

/end rant

• Chris says:

Their massive arena helps things along. It gives them a big drawing card for kids who want to play in something approximating an NHL arena.

And then you have the ever-present whispers around the big teams in the CHL. Portland just got their wrists slapped last season for recruiting violations. Windsor also got hit, and much harder.

But the real whispers have always surrounded the teams that continually manage to recruit the top NCAA-committed players to change their minds and come to the CHL. Whether that is just sour grapes from other fan bases or if there really are shenanigans going on is hard to tell. I’ve heard some real doozies about players in some of the marquee markets in the CHL, but the teams will have to remain innocent until proven guilty.

18. D Mex says:

Having a hard time deciding between PSA and April Fool’s Day on this one, but seeing as how the Laffs and Sens will be on the links real soon, I think it’s only fair we let them know :

Sure takes the idea of spontaneous combustion to a new level …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• CJ says:

Lots of buzz in Ottawa today. Many fans think they have a good chance to get in. They play the Isles, who will be on a back to back, tomorrow night. We need to end any hope on Friday night.

Let’s take care of business tonight. Then, we can burry the Sens in front of 15,000 Canadiens fans at the CTC Friday night.

• Mavid says:

I hear ya CJ three in a row..and they really believe they can make it..or at least finish ahead of the Leafs, which I think is a bigger deal than making the playoffs..pittiful fans..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• HabsPooch says:

That Sens play the Leafs to finish off the season. Depending on where they both are in the standings, that could be Ottawa’s Stanley Cup game…

• CJ says:

Mavid is spot on. Many Sens fans could care less where they finish, provided it’s ahead of Toronto. Murray in his eighth year as GM, gets rewarded with a four year extension. Anywhere else they would be asking serious questions, or ending his employment. One series win under his guidance. Again, so long as they beat Toronto everyone is happy.

Ottawa finishing 10th and Toronto finishing 11th will be regarded as a decent outcome.

• HabsPooch says:

I’m not sure why Murray gets the extended rope? The results are there for all to see..

19. B says:

I can’t post the last name of Tampa’s player who ranks 3rd in rookie scoring, but I can post “penis”. Go figure?

–Go Habs Go!–

20. Habfun says:

Anybody pull any good April fools pranks.

It’s all about the CH

21. UKRAINIANhab says:

Good game here for any football fans. MU vs FCB. Cmon Bayern!!!

22. HabsFanInTampa says:

Can’t wait for tonight’s game. If any fellow HI/Oers are going to the drop me a line. Also, I will be seated at Club Level 4, Row E, Seat 6 in case anybody wants to say “hi”. Yes, Even you Boone. :)

23. habs12 says:

Remember when Vanek was playing with Gionta and Plekanec lol. Now that was April Fools if you ask me.

24. TheCanadianDagger says:

I wish I remembered it was April 1st BEFORE my GF sent me a pic of a positive “pee-on’a’stick”.

Picking myself up off the floor…

25. Donkey Hoat says:

I’m getting excited for the playoffs, so for no particular reason:
    Daniel Brière, I believe, was a good signing; he has a very good work ethic, and come playoff time, I think he’ll be aces for us.
    Mr Bourque was a big letdown most of this year, he was given a lot of ice time from which others could have benefitted. That said, I think he will surprise many in the playoffs by finding his game at the right time.
    I wish for the continued recovery of Messrs. Gorges, Bournival, Weise, Moen and Prust; these guys will all be key in any playoffs series.
    Mike Weaver has been a very good signing, and an excellent sub for Josh Gorges.
    Here’s hoping the veterans can keep the first-timers calm and collected during the first playoff series!

• CH Marshall says:

I’m guessing management has tried every trick in the book to motivate Bourque. Some things you can’t teach a person I guess……. So I guess the beatings will continue until morale improves

26. JUST ME says:

Feel quite confident about tonight`s game. Habs have risen to the challenge every time this season. Let`s clinch that playoff spot so we can rest a few players and enjoy the moment. Actually every time they had important meetings and even some scarier challenges they came up on top so let`s not leave the others help us and get the spot ourselves.

All 3 meetings have ended in a 2 to 1 score. 2 games were won by TB so again a 2-1 count in total games won.
    But now the Habs are on a roll and now is the time to make a statement and prepare as much as we can for the upcoming serie against them.

• Every time? Just a tad forgetful aren’t we?

In the last 10 games or so, we haven’t quit. We’ve played 60 minutes or more and looked like we wanted to win, ‘cept for against Buffalo and Florida, where we won by default.

The rest of the year, not so much. Lot’s of 20 or 40 minute efforts and very little attack in the last 20. We had a good run Nov-Dec and then couldn’t get out of our own way for almost a month of up and down torture.

So yeah, we’re mostly excited that we aren’t the walking wounded and we shouldn’t allow Tampa to walk all over us like Ottawa did last year during playoffs, but we’ll all see which team shows up.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• JUST ME says:

Of course as a habs fan it`s all or nothing and you are right by pointing certain times in the season when we did not deliver but even if i try real real hard to be negative i still say that they delivered the goods more often that even you expected and that their average is positive in that sense.

27. HabsPooch says:

I think Mike Weaver will become our Francis Bouillon. I can see them signing extending him for two years as he’s a right handed shot and can compliment either Tinordi or Beaulieu.

28. govenah says:

At least Bourque should be able to vote. He has a french name at least…

The glass is MT.

29. Hoping to see Beaulieu and Tinordi get lot of ice time once Habs clinch a playoff spot. Rest Vets for playoffs in Markov, Murray & Bouillon. How many players can the Habs have on their roster going into playoffs?

• HabsPooch says:

I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think Beaulieu will start fresh next year. Tinordi might fill in here and there for the rest of the season as he’s built more for the playoffs. I think Therien won’t want to tinker too much with his defense the rest of the way and the only addition you’ll see will be Gorges soon.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Not counting Tinordi and when healthy, the Habs have 7 vets to work with – and it’s very obvious Coach MT likes/prefers his vets.
        It would take multiple injuries for Beaulieu to even get a sniff of playing time.

Some writers in Tampa are mentioning that Bishop is playing hurt. Just a rumour but you never know. Lindback has been pretty shaky this year. Not in the same league as Budaj.

Montréal may not win tonight’s game but I still feel their chances against Tampa in the playoffs are 50/50 at worst. I’d even be happy starting out on the road.

His numbers are worse in recent games, could be something to that.

• Strummer says:

Man U and Bayern Burly!

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Yup, stuck at work for now…. hoping to catch 2nd half.

I have a bad feeling for Bayern, this has upset written all over it, too many prognosticators picking Bayern.

• Strummer says:

It would be an upset the way Man U has played this season.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• DipsyDoodler says:

Pep won’t let it happen.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• B says:

Biship is at 59 games and counting this season. I believe he only played more than 50 games once in his career, 51 back in 04/05 before he went to college.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Maritime Ronn says:

You also have to wonder if the wear and tear of the NHL is getting to him.
      Most games he ever played as a pro was 48 and 41 in the AHL…5 and 3 years ago.
      He has already appeared in 59 games this year.

• Mattyleg says:

Heya Ron, just want to thank you for responding to my question below.

Really appreciate it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maritime Ronn says:

I was wondering when bad cop shows up

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t get it.
            Also not sure why you didn’t answer my question, it was an honest one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

Wish I understood this exchange,

• Mattyleg says:

Ron said that nobody was sad when St. Louis left TB, and I asked him how he knew, what his source was, and he replied ‘Outstanding source(s)’, so I asked again (I didn’t understand what he was talking about), and he never replied, but Chris was nice enough to clarify.

Just wanted to know why he didn’t answer me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

Maybe he didn’t want to reveal his sources? Or maybe he was being cantankerous Ronn.

• The_Truth says:

I don’t wish anyone to be hurt, but that would be great news for the Habs.

31. CHasman says:

Firstly let me state that I am an Eller fan and I think he’d be in much less of a funk if MT hadn’t played him with so many different line mates. So though I should be happy that he is back on the third line I really liked him playing with Bounival and White. That line was playing really well and I don’t understand why Therrien would break them up.
    While I’m at it, give me Tinordi instead of Boullion please. Frankie makes at least as many mistakes as Tinordi and though he might move the puck better than him, Tinordi is bigger, stronger, tougher and a much better dman than Boullion.

Here’s a preview of tonight’s game which also includes Tampa’s projected line-up.

” The most likely scenario is that only 1 of Vail, McCarron and Crisp ever becomes an NHL regular, and that won’t happen for at least another 2 seasons.” (Chris)

I would agree with Chris’s statement. I would also add that probably only 1 of smallish forwards such as Hudon, Thomas, Andrighetto or Reway will ever make the Habs.

Same odds go for the second tier defense list which includes Nygren, Thrower, Bennett, Pateryn and Dietz.

The real Hab prospect list is Beaulieu, Tinordi, De la Rose and Fucale.

When you look at it from that perspective, Montreal really only has a list of seven potential prospects ever making the team during the next three or four years.

Statistically you are probably correct. However, seems to me that in the past Timmins may have had a higher success ratio than other teams.

Either way, I will remain optimistic that perhaps more will become NHL players.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerry – When I first joined this site the Habs had a stable of defensive prospects that would last a decade. As well, the great debate was which new young player would eventually become captain, Higgins or Komisarek?

None of those players are here now and I believe only Higgins is a regular NHLer. I’m not being pessimistic, just realistic.

Didn’t mean to infer you were being pessimistic Steve. I suppose it doesn’t matter what we think, what will be will be.

I will just stick to my own little world of believing in MB and staff to continue developing this roster on all counts. So far looking at the results of the team when MB took over, it is improving. I also realize past regimes deserve some credit, and I am good with that.

Bottom line for me, I like MB and I think he is taking this team in the right direction.

• 24 Cups says:

No inference taken!

As for being optimistic, I have changed my desktop wallpaper to a golf photo. I even went out and bought new clubs! I’m going to be the Trevor Timmins of the golf links this summer!!!!!!!!!!

• Chris says:

To be fair, that is true for every NHL team. Fans tend to hope for the best for every prospect, but the reality is that most of those guys are going to wash out.

It is entirely possible that more than one of Hudon, Thomas, Andrighetto or Reway make the NHL, but very unlikely that more than one of them has an impact for Montreal. The others will be dealt and/or never make it.

I actually think Vail has a good chance, like Kyle Chipchura, based on his two-way play. He might not stick with a contender, but he should be able to make the NHL for a weaker, rebuilding team that is looking for honest, hard-working players. Crisp is unclear to me…he’s got the size and he’s got great leadership skills. I just worry about his skating. And McCarron is the big wildcard…his skating is not NHL calibre, but teams will be tantalized by his mammoth size.

• 24 Cups says:

For sure, Chris. You also have to balance things out by remembering the Habs picked up a major building block in the middle of the second round. Then there’s a guy like Gallgher. That kind of luck balances out the disappointments.

Agreed, Steve.

I think McCarron, Vail and Crisp get so much love because they represent a skillset that is perceived as a weakness for the team. In the grand scheme of things, every NHL team starts loading up on bigger guys in the later rounds, hoping that one or two of them eventually pan out.

I think part of Trevor Timmins’ success has been that he continues to draft the best player available in those later rounds. Consequently, you end up with a lot of smaller, fast and skilled players who have a higher likelihood of cracking into the NHL **somewhere**, even if it isn’t Montreal.

The result is that Montreal generally has a bunch of smaller, skill players that are seen as being the wrong fit for playoff hockey. Montreal has a pretty dismal record when it comes to power forwards: Pacioretty is obviously a stellar pick, and you can make an argument that White, Chipchura and Latendresse were successful picks. Over 11 years, the Habs have essentially managed to find 4 guys that would fit in that power forward category, and two of them are fourth liners while Latendresse is effectively out of the league at age 27 due to his 5 hip surgeries and numerous concussions.

This is part of why I don’t cite Timmins’ clever drafting over the years as being a good indicator that Vail, Crisp and McCarron have a good likelihood of panning out. Timmins’ track record with rugged, physical forwards has not been all that exemplary.

• Paz says:

Prior to the season I thought Kristo would make it. He has outstanding speed, he was invited to play for te USA in the World Championships last Spring, and he was an elite NCAA player.

I also thought Leblanc would get a shot. Prior to his injuries a few seasons back he showed that he could play here. I liked his energy and his jump during his call up earlier this season.

If someone would have asked me before this season began I thought those two could replace Gionta and Moen.

Andrighetto and Reway seem even smaller than Kristo and Leblanc. We can not afford to get smaller.

But neither do I think that it’s in Therrien’s or Bergevin’s interests to make this team younger. Our cote, Price, Subban, Max, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, is already very young, so they need to be surrounded by tough veterans and talented veterans.

I think Beaulieu should be on the team instead of one of the veteran dmen, Murry, Bouillon, Weaver.

• BJ says:

I would be surprised if Andrighetto does not make it. I’ve seen him play in about 20 games (it took him a while to get back up to par after his injury) and this guy can score. Thomas probably not, Hudon give it time and Reway (I haven’t seen him play enough (only highlight reels). Lets give these guys a chance rather than the so called average that make it to the NHL. Looking forward to seeing Crisp with the Bulldogs. I really hope he pans out as we need this type of player with size, grit and some scoring ability.

• 24 Cups says:

BJ – I only lump those four guys together because of their lack of size. Even if they all become NHLers, it certainly won’t be with the Habs. We already have Gallagher and DD. Of course that doesn’t mean these prospects can’t be dealt for future assets during the next few years.

• Chris says:

Sadly, the junior leagues are full of kids like this. Montreal has Martin St. Pierre playing in Hamilton this season. I watched his entire junior career and he was an absolute treat: he was offensively gifted, and nobody had a bigger heart. He routinely outplayed Corey Perry in head-to-head match-ups.

In his draft year, he had 20 goals and 69 points in 68 games. He followed that up with 32 goals and 85 points as an 18 year old, and still nobody would draft him. He played two more OHL seasons, capping off his junior career with a brilliant 45 goal and 110 points season.

His reward? He got signed to a minor-league deal by Chicago, and spent most of the first season (like David Desharnais) tearing up the ECHL. In his first AHL season, he had 23 goals and 73 points in 77 games. In his second AHL season, he posted 27 goals and 99 points in 65 games.

Despite all that success, he essentially bounced around the minor pro leagues and European leagues, playing just 39 NHL games scattered over 9 years. Why? He just wasn’t big enough to land himself a top-6 position in the NHL, and he wasn’t the kind of guy that could be effective in a checking or grinding role.

This is the same fate that befell Corey Locke. Good player, much better than most of the 3rd or 4th line players in the NHL, but he simply wasn’t good enough to play top-6 in the NHL.

This is the barrier for the smaller guys in the league. They are all or nothing: they either play top-6 or they play their careers out in Europe or the AHL. With few exceptions, guys like Reway, Andrighetto or Lehkonen aren’t going make it as a 3rd or 4th line forward. Hudon has a shot because he is a strong two-way player that can be a checker.

34. Danno says:

Tonight’s goalies?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Tiger Woods goes under the knife and will miss the Masters.

Made my day.

36. Sportfan says:

The Canadiens would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they defeat the Lightning in any fashion OR if they get one point against the Lightning AND the Capitals lose to the Stars in any fashion OR if the Capitals lose to the Stars in regulation AND the Devils lose to the Sabres in any fashion.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

37. Maritime Ronn says:

@SergioMomesso36
    Gorges also doing extra on ice.
    Taking wrist shots but no slap shots just yet.

Answer back tweet
    @SergioMomesso36… Only 2 mph difference.

38. Maritime Ronn says:

Tampa is a much better ‘Team” without Marty St.Louis.

No one knows what really happened in Tampa, yet there were no dressing room regrets with his leaving.
    He had his great days there, and whatever forced him to want out looks like it has carried on to the Rangers so far.

Playing big minutes and preferred PP time, St. Louis has zero goals and 3 assists in 14 games.

While Callahan can’t score like St. Louis, he is a breathe of fresh air in the room with his leadership and rugged play on the ice.
    Habs guys better keep their heads up when he’s on the ice.

• Mattyleg says:

“there were no dressing room regrets with his leaving.”

What’s your source for this, Ron?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maritime Ronn says:

Outstanding source(s)

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t understand.

I’m wondering how you know that he wasn’t missed when he left, is all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chris says:

It’s been pretty widely inferred that St. Louis’ unhappiness in Tampa Bay was not a recent thing and the players knew that he wanted out.

Players are generally not all that sad to see the trade of a player who has made it clear he wants out. Nobody questions that St. Louis was giving 100% effort to the team, but his ongoing saga was a distraction.

• Mattyleg says:

Thanks, Ron.
            ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sportfan says:

They will also get better in the draft because of Marty, he showed a sad side and then the Lightning who should have lost the trade won it, go figure.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sather blinked big time!
        He also gave Tampa a 2015 1st round pick + a 2014 2nd round pick…but if the Rangers make the Eastern Conference finals, that pick becomes a 1st Round.
        If Callahan re-signs with Tampa, the Rangers get Tampa’s 2nd round pick in 2015.
        Tampa also dumped St.Louis’s $5.625M cap hit for next year.

• D Mex says:

0 goals and 3 assists in 14 games – not great, for sure.
      It’s interesting that, following the trauma of initially not being named to Team Canada, he went on a bit of a tear that drew much attention – which is not to suggest he turns it on and off at will, of course …

Different folks have commented on him going into a pout when his name wasn’t called first time around, and it’s been suggested he took it to the extent of demanding the move to NYR that resulted. I don’t know the man, of course, but I DO know that when he came to Montreal for the All-Star game in ’09, he was a substitute for someone who couldn’t make it (possibly Crosby ?) and, when he and the other players came thru for the autograph & photo op event that kids lined up for, he looked very much like a guy who had just lost his best friend. At an All-Star event in the centre of the hockey universe, MSL wore the only long face and I will never forget it.

None of this is to suggest that he is moody … , but I would take DD light years before ever wanting to see MSL in Montréal.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• murfdog says:

Ya to me that was a great trade for TB, I lost a alot of respect for Marty, hes a little baby. Stevey doesnt select him for Team Canada and he wants to leave. Im glad he sucking in New York.
      GO HABS GO

• Chris says:

He wanted out long before the Team Canada thing…he’s been quietly asking to be traded to the Rangers since 2009. He always intended to finish his career near his home in Greenwich, Connecticut, where his wife’s family also lives.

I’m not entirely sure why he didn’t simply sign with the Rangers in 2011 when his last contract expired. The Rangers ended up signing Brad Richards that summer, and I’m sure St. Louis could have gone there too if he was willing to take a pay hit. Obviously, he wasn’t. :)

I have no problem with St. Louis. He played his rear end off every game despite wanting to be traded. His play allowed the Lightning to obtain a pretty strong return. Not every player would continue to play hard when they knew they wanted out.

• B says:

Tampa hasn’t won a game vs a team currently in a playoff spot since Feb. 8th.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Maritime Ronn, As well on D for Tampa Radko Gudas.

39. Chris says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to project Connor Crisp as a goon. I’m not entirely sure that he’s got NHL speed, but he’s certainly been far more than a goon in his junior career.

Crisp had 6 fights in 67 OHL games this season. He had 9 in 63 games last year.

Brandon Prust fought 17 times in his final OHL season, and 35 times in his second last OHL season. No wonder that his body is failing him at age 30…he got well over 250 fights under his belt at the OHL, AHL and NHL level. That is a lot of wear and tear on his shoulders.

I have a feeling that the goon fans should temper their expectations. Expect a far less willing combatant in Crisp than what you saw with Prust. I think Bryan Bickell is probably a better model: Bickell was a big, physical player that fought relatively sparingly throughout his AHL and NHL careers. He’s also been far more valuable to the Hawks than any goon in the NHL has been to their team in recent years.

Goons basically serve zero purpose except to ignite passionate debates on fan boards. Their effect on the ice is zilch.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would much prefer that Chris. We don’t need a guy who fights all the time. We need big physical players who know how to play the game. I would be happy if Crisp followed the Bickel pathway. Hopefully he has a bit more of an offensive upside.

• Cal says:

Tell that to the players who feel that the enforcer has their backs.
      That’s the effect on the ice. Lucic shies away from Laraque. With no enforcer, Lucic’s cheap shots increase.

Poppycocks.

Lucic was running around in that infamous game with Laraque, he just refused to fight Laraque when invited. That was the big effect of Laraque. Squat.

Lucic finished that game with 9 hits in 15 minutes. Does that seem like a guy who was physically intimidated? Of course not.

Unless your goon can play regular minutes or is willing to risk suspension by jumping a guy, goons will never be able to control a legitimate top-6 forward like Lucic because they are a liability when they are on the ice.

• The Jackal says:

I’ll gladly take our own version of Bickell

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Maritime Ronn says:

We’ll see how that projects out, and maybe that low fight rate might be indicative of players not wanting to deal with him.
      The goal for Crisp, or any junior, is to play in the NHL and find a way to stay there.

While the day of the Stage Fight goon is slowly coming to an end, there will always be a need for a guy that can play at least some, then stick up for his mates when need be.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

250 fights.. That’s not including tryouts.. The sick old men that run junior teams in Canada make them fight in tryouts. Add in minor hockey and exhibition games and Prust would be over 300..

I love hockey, but when I have children I would have to give it serious thought before signing them up for hockey.. If I had a girl I’d absolutely put her in hockey..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Chris says:

That 250 fights number for Prust is ludicrous. The fact that he continues to do it demonstrates that the guy has almost no regard whatsoever for his own health. His shoulders are basically finished, yet he continues to risk his seasons fighting meaningless fights against guys that aren’t a threat to anybody. It is maddening.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It is maddening. Last year he was only hitting with one shoulder because the other was ruined.. I think he should be dealt if anybody would take a sniff. He’s like my 1999 Accord, it’s not bad as an emergency vehicle but when we want reliability we take the new Toyota. Prust can not be counted on, I say that while loving him as a player.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

Remember some guys in high school or on the street that just loved to fight?
            Prust loves to fight.

40. HABitat4humanity says:

Hopefully Emelin pulls an Orpik move on Stamkos. Hahaha.

41. Anyone know how Mike McCarron looked this year? Lot’s of pessimism from the media, but prefer the insights of our knowledge base. With Vail and Crisp. I am just wetting my sheets thinking of all three on the team with Tinordi, Beaulieu and hopefully Bozon, PK, Eller, Max, Vanek (OK, I’m really dropping acid) and a couple of smurfs…

Can I say, things are looking up for the future?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Chris says:

Going to see McCarron a lot over the next week or two, as his Knights are playing Guelph in the playoffs.

McCarron was dismal in the first half, but he had a nice rebound in the second half and was getting some points. He was moved to centre between two pretty talented wingers (Brett Welychka and Gemel Smith) and he responded nicely, flashing some nice skill here and there.

I’m still not sold on his NHL potential, because he’s not going to be playing centre in the NHL…he is far, far too slow to even contemplate that. Next year will be the tell-tale year for McCarron: he’s going to get loads of ice time if he isn’t traded, as the Knights will be rebuilding. He won’t have the excuse of adjusting to the more extensive game schedule in the OHL.

Overall, I’d say his first junior season went a little worse than Tinordi’s. Tinordi was also disappointing in the first half but seemed to find his game in the second half of that season. He was much better in his second season with the Knights.

McCarron was seen as a project when he was drafted and that was an accurate assessment. I would say he is still 3-5 years away from being a regular NHL contributor.

As for your sheets, I would temper your expectations. The most likely scenario is that only 1 of Vail, McCarron and Crisp ever becomes an NHL regular, and that won’t happen for at least another 2 seasons.

• Much appreciation for the review Chris! I’m glad he is on the Knights for sure as that development is key and it’s one of the better teams for that. Hope he gets his feet moving… Enjoy the playoffs!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Chris says:

I am not at all happy that he is with London…I felt that this year largely stunted his development as he was stuck, as I feared he would be, playing on the third line.

London gets a lot of credit for player development, and I’m not sure how much of it is founded. They get a stacked deck because they land a lot of NCAA players that “change their mind” (I will leave the quotes there to suggest just how much I roll my eyes when I say that expression) when London drafts them, and the Max Domi situation was a bit ugly for the OHL.

In many respects, I think McCarron would have been better off in the NCAA for 4 seasons, leaving there when he was 22 and then apprenticing a couple of years in the AHL as he learns to play without NHL calibre speed. Instead, he’s got another year of OHL and then he’ll be up in the AHL before he is ready, and I suspect he might rely on his fists to earn an NHL job instead of his hands and feet.

You don’t typically use a 1st or 2nd round draft pick on a goon. Those guys are a dime a dozen if you want them. For that pick to be successful, McCarron needs to show that he can score and play smart hockey. Jury is still out on that.

• frontenac1 says:

I don’t think McCarron is is a goon or enforcer. Doubt it’s The Habs plan for him. Sure, he’ll drop the mitts when he has to but nowhere near being an Enforcer imo.

• Chris says:

Front: I agree with you. I am just expressing my fear that he might feel pressure to go that route to avoid being labelled a bust. He’s going to be under a lot of pressure to get to the NHL within 3 years, and that is probably being overly optimistic for him at this point.

I hope that I’m wrong.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Underwhelming, but keep in mind players of his stature tend to develop slower and translate their skills better in the NHL.

You could compare his numbers to a guy like Lucic who had a similar first year in the WHL. He’s a work in progress, at least 2 years out from Montreal.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Chris says:

Have to be careful comparing Lucic’s first year in the WHL. Lucic was a year younger when he put up those numbers. At the same age as McCarron, Lucic was a point-per-game player and the captain of a Memorial Cup team.

42. frontenac1 says:

Hey CJ! Howz about a little Frankie Lessard for the home stretch?

• CJ says:

Haha, I love watching that guy. He is a crowd favorite. Simon Desarmoux, Pat Allard, Paul Schantz, LP Charboneau, Mathieu Raby, Stephan Morin, Mike Stacey…..some tough dudes in Cornwall over the years.

43. Sportfan says:

Massive paper on the 1969 Grey Cup and a bunch of reading to do, while the Jays and Habs play today -_- I’m doomed.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

44. B says:

Kristo ranks 22nd in the AHL rookie scoring race, 2 spots behind Andrighetto at 20th.

–Go Habs Go!–

45. zephyr says:

I wonder why greg pateryn isn’t up yet. I think we should play tinordi rather than bouillon too. we’re going to need size on d for the playoffs no matter who we play. once georges returns, I imagine tinordi will sit anyway. for the playoffs, if weise & prust are back, my choices to sit would be briere & white. bettman’s refs will be hostile to us again this playoffs. we’re going to need some beef.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Tinordi is still developing. He has made some terrible defensive gaffs which is to be expected with a young defenseman. If Montreal goes deep into the Playoffs we need Boullion, Tinordi & Murray playing quality 5/6 minutes. Rotation makes sense.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• sheds88 says:

Brière won’t sit, he was picked up for the playoffs.

46. Mattyleg says:

Is Tampa Bay a better team without St. Louis?

Not by a long shot.
    They are doing okay recently, but we can totally take them, especially without Marty St. L.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. 24AW says:

Still playing with the lines Mmmmmmmmm like Eller or Bourque is gonna make a difference!!

48. petefleet says:

Any wager on how long Pleks and the kids stay together tonight? I bet the first time they are hemmed in their own zone and Stamkos either unloads a blast or scores a sweety, they are back to the EGG line and Gionta is back with Pleks. If not, it could be a long night.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Agreed. Why is Eller on a wing with Briere too? The later just doesn’t have anything in the tank and Eller needs wingers to support him or as others might say, trade him. I still think he has upside.

Also… why is the Bull on with PK? Man, MT has a woodie for this guy and it’s just hampering PK’s game. Instead of letting Tiny get more TOI, he sits. Great development of our young players MT!!!!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

49. Habcouver says:

Who will be the Black Aces for the playoffs?
    Are we able to include Crisp and Vail?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

50. Sportfan says:

This is why I wish the Bulldogs would play in Montreal now cause I’d love to see Crisp and Vail play.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

51. WindsorHab-10 says:

Tough to criticize the coach when the team is winning but I don’t have such a problem because despite our winning ways I give the coaching staff little credit if any. If we’re going to make any noise in the playoffs we need Tinordi in the lineup because of his size, speed & shot, not Francis Bouillion. Our coach is too stubborn to see this just like he was too stubborn to dress Parros against Boston. We would have Moen & Weise playing today if Parros played that game. If MT continues to favor Bouillion over Tinordi, well I don’t hold much hope for any success in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

• petefleet says:

He sat the cube for a long stretch already this year. I wouldn’t call that favouring him.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
      Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Mattyleg says:

…we beat Boston.

And Moen and Weise would not be playing today if Parros had been dressed. You honestly think that whatsisname wouldn’t have hit Weise if Parros was there? Hilarious.

It sounds to me like you’re the stubborn one here, insisting on ragging on a winning coach for making moves that have resulted in a winning streak.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ali says:

Might not apply to Boston, but I have noticed that Chris Neil in particular doesn’t run around and stir things up whenever Parros/Laraque have been in the lineup, and whenever they’re not he does. I think it’s incorrect to think their presence has no effect at all, but it’s more of a case by case basis.

52. HabFab says:

From the CBC article and trying to keep it clear…

” It is expected that the medical bill will exceed $100,000.”

“Because he is from Europe, his health coverage is based upon what his team provides. According to WHL officials, the health insurance carried by the team may fall short.”

So it is not clear at this point, how much it will be short.

• Ron says:

I’m surprised some “Corporate” type sponsor has not stepped up and handled it already. Not sure how much short the overall bill is but you would think that maybe this incident might have some effect on European players coming here to play junior in the future. One would think their health would be looked after sufficiently.

53. petefleet says:

I don’t see how the experts can call this matchup a draw. The Habs have Vanek now and the Bolts haven’t added anyone of significance. In fact they lost their top scorer. The results should end up in MTL’s favour tonight. The team are different than they were, it’s not as even as it might have been before. Bishop is not Price either.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

54. Remember when Erik Cole gave Louis Leblanc his credit card, so Leblanc’s parents could get to the kid’s first NHL game out on the West Coast? NHL vets have a tradition of razzing the newbies, but they’ve also got their backs. If a locker-room leader passed the hat among the Habs, $100k split 20 ways wouldn’t seem so daunting. I bet that happens if Kootenay can’t/won’t sort this out themselves.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

55. CJ says:

You can’t break up a winning lineup I get that. However, I would much prefer that we have a little more horseradish on the meat so to speak. I might be entirely wrong – admittedly I have been wrong about a number of things regarding this edition of the Montreal Canadiens – but things might get messy tonight. I just hope this isn’t another case of bringing a pillow to a gun fight. I can see the exact same scenario in Ottawa on Friday.

Again, I have no grounds with which to argue in the face of results, but I worry about these underlying issues. Can we continue to win without size? Can we win without an effective PP? Can we win with Frankie playing over 20 minutes a night, as we use our 7/8 defenceman with our number 1? I didn’t think we could, but here we are with one of the best records over the previous 10 games.

The only question which remains is have we built our most recent success on the back of wins against weak opponents, or – possession stats be damned – our system is vastly superior to that of our opponent?

As per my MO, I will return to my blind faith for all things Canadiens before puck drop. Just raising some topics for discussion in the interim. Cheers, CJ

• frontenac1 says:

Agree CJ.The home stretch can get very nasty very fast. Moen,Prust,Parros,Weise and Tiny out is a big concern. Its up to Crankshaft and Whitey to keep the peace. Here”s hoping amigo.

• 24AW says:

CJ – it doesn’t matter, we’re not a Stanley Cup team. We are a team in progress. A 1st round exit is pretty much what the HIO personnel are expecting anything beyond that will be a bonus.

• CJ says:

You might be right. I am not sure what to expect. I had this season pegged as a year for transition. The fact that the East is so wide open has provided everyone with a glimmer of hope. IMO, anytime Montreal plays Tampa I think we should win. Sorry to have such little respect for hockey in the sunny south, but we are talking about a franchise that operates in the cradle of hockey. The hockey sweater, the Rocket, Le Gross Bill……We can’t lose to the Bolts. No way. Cheers, CJ

• Yet which team has the most recent Stanley Cup? I know, it hurts in my gut too.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• HabsPooch says:

Lol. It’s actually “Le Gros Bill” But keep in mind Tampa has won a Cup in the last ten years. The hockey sweater and all that other iconic stuff is a distant, distant memory. I think Bergevin will build this team back to a perennial contender…with Beaulieu and Tinordi in as core pieces of their defense ;)

• HUDSONHAB says:

I think the PP concerns can be turned around in a flash.
      As for size and toughness, I think the Refs will determine how we fair in that regard. If they allow the Habs to get gooned while calling us for hooking and interference, that will be trouble.
      We need are skilled guys to play within their own toughness. Boston has hacks like Marchand, Lucic and Chara who won’t fight the big guys but will bully the small guys. If the refs turn a blind eye to them, I fear the worst.
      Tampa doesn’t scare me… But then again, neither did Ottawa.

….Hab4life….

56. adamkennelly says:

Habs going into playoff preview road game with Ryan White as their toughest forward – also – MT deciding to leave Tinordi in the presser…smart.

just kidding – happy 4/1

57. twilighthours says:

Eller on the wing. Why not? I’d rather him on the 3rd line anyway.

58. FanSince1969 says:

Tim Bozon medical bill will surpass 100k. I ask again. Why don’t the Canadiens cover that? Is it a legal reason since he is still an amateur? Can’t they ownership make a donation? Any answers on that? I always regarded us as a class organization.

• HabFab says:

Some believe it may be because he has already signed his ETL and there may be CBA conflicts. I’m sure the Habs will be doing what they can to help.

• Cardiac says:

Exactly! Even if he never plays a game for the big club, they have enough class and dignity to do something for the kid. But like you said, legal reasons might getting in the way.

– Jerry Maguire

• Gerry H says:

Wow. Crap insurance coverage by Kootenay on this kid. How can they justify cheaping out on insurance for young men in such a high risk sport?

Didn’t realize Bozon was European.

• Strummer says:

Is Bozon under contract to the Canadiens?
      If so then the team should step up and cover the medical and other expenses incurred by the family.
      In future the CHL teams involved should have adequate insurance to cover foreign nationals who aren’t covered by provincial health plans.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Commandant says:

They can’t. It would be violating the salary cap and CBA to give him extra benefits.

• bwoar says:

I’ll be the guy to wonder aloud – if I were playing junior hockey overseas, wouldn’t I have huge personal coverage knowing that the team’s wasn’t very much?

Let me rephrase: if I had to go to Russia to play junior, would I not take out massive health insurance? You bet I would. Trust my medical bills to a junior team in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country? Not on your life.

I mean c’mon, the guy’s dad was a hockey player, isn’t it just a bit ignorant, or negligent, and more than a little foolish? I feel bad for the kid’s illness, but the $100K medical bill, somewhat less so. It’s not like he sustained an injury due to playing the game, so slagging the Kootenay Ice is silly, and asking the CH to pay a little presumptuous.

Just pointing out the other (less nice) side of the coin. It was easy to chip in my $2 at BMO on the way to work. I just kinda think it’s a pitfall easily avoided.

• The Jackal says:

Agree with you bwoar.
          I think it’s great that the WHL and junior and Habs fan community is supporting Bozon and his family. But at the same time, I’m a bit taken aback by the posts suggesting the CH pay the bill and other posts suggesting the CH may take a less than honourable stance on this.
          Like commandant said, it’s a violation of the CBA to give more benefits than in contract, and outside of that, I’m sure the CH is doing and has been doing all it can do support Bozon and his family as well.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

59. HabFab says:

Simply the best, there are no others like it… les Canadiens!

Be sure to go to the end.

60. HabFab says:

For Front, Hobie and the rest of you wild and crazy guys…

61. Lafleurguy says:

Confess to knowing very little about the Lightning’s roster. Appears Stamkos is being eased back into full-time action and is on a “second” line.

62. DipsyDoodler says:

Speaking of epic chokes, the PQ are falling as fast as the Maple Leafs (according to the today’s poll).

—–
    Moving. Forward.

63. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Front

For your consideration…

Headline:
    NFL Teams To Allow Cheerleaders To Visit Fans In Their Seats During Games

64. slapshot777 says:

I turn on the tv and on the channel is Hockey Central on Noon. I have to laugh at these clowns on there Millard, Kyperos and Mclean. Blaming anyone and anybody why the Leafs have lost and may be on the outside looking in come playoff time.

Kyperos, start to question Paul Maurice and why he came out about the coaching in Toronto. He says he hit them when they were down. Mclean is questioning is the Toronto media the issue why Toronto continue to lose. He says there is no difference than any of the other Canadian teams and he goes on to name them, funny thing is he left out Montreal.

The finally did mention them later, but I am there listening to him and saying to myself that Toronto may be bigger but there is not one team in the NHL that faces as much adversity when it comes to media and politics as the Montreal Canadiens.

Imagine Toronto only had a handful of prospects to choose from for a head coach and GM like Montreal. Toronto doesn’t get the pressure like Montreal to have home grown talent on the team. Toronto may get some but there is more players coming out of the OHL and every team has one or two players at least from Ontario.

Just listening to the few minutes that I had it on there they were looking for every excuse in the book. Before switched channels then they had shot at Burke. They stoop to any level to make excuses. I can’t imagine Rogers being any better next season and beyond if this is just a sample of what the analysts will be like. All Toronto all the time.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• CH Marshall says:

All good points. IMO Leads could possibly be one of the toughest teams to manage because of current ownership and all the higher ups that want to meddle in affairs. With Mtl I imagine it’s mostly the Molson show, but suspect it’s a whole group of ppl for the Leafs.

Moar Bouillon. Fantastique!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Fantastique is right.
      Last 8 games with Bouillon in the lineup, Habs are 7-1…and don’t forget that magnifique OT goal against Ottawa.
      MOAR Bouillon

66. WVHabsfan says:

Bourque deserves the press box

67. bwoar says:

I have doubts about Crisp but Brady Vail’s got talent. Good on both of ‘em.

• Maritime Ronn says:

About 8 Hamilton games left?
      Expect 5 Crisp fights setting the stage for the next camp.
      Big fella
      6’4″-225 turns 20 next week

• bwoar says:

Me like, me like. It’s just tougher for a guy like him to make it in the big show. Could get into a scrap on Day 1 and basically be done before he begins. Whenever the hockey talent drops off, the margin grows wider exponentially.

Hoping for the best though, he fits our ‘needs’ list right about midway down.

68. Lafleurguy says:

Why not drink Kool-Aid?

69. ElMcFoldo says:

Bourque is sliding his way down the lineup. Next stop, the pressbox!

70. BJ says:

#5 Bernie Geoffrion

71. RetroMikey says:

Second?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

72. Hstands4Hockey says:

First?
    ——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey