Multimedia: Weise won’t be in Habs’ lineup for Game 6 vs. Rangers

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate at Madison Square Garden before facing elimination for the second straight game in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference final against the Rangers Thursday night (8 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The only players who didn’t take part in the skate were Alexei Emelin and Dale Weise.

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the skate that Emelin’s status would be a game-time decision, but that Weise definitely won’t be in the lineup.

Emelin missed Game 5 with an undisclosed injury, while Weise was knocked woozy from a third-period hit by the Rangers’ John Moore, who was suspended for two games for the illegal hit to the head. Weise went to the Canadiens’ locker room for a brief period after the hit, but returned to finish the game. There have been reports he suffered a concussion.

“Right now he has a body injury,” Therrien told reporters in New York Thursday morning about Weise.

When asked if there was any regret about letting Weise return to play in Game 5, Therrien responded: “You’re presuming it’s a head injury.”

The coach then added: “You’re not correct.”

Therrien was then asked what happened to make Weise a scratch for Game 6 after returning to play in Game 5.

“Well, after the hit he went to meet the doctors, saw the doctors,” the coach said. “He was feeling fine about finishing the game. For us, what is really important is player safety. This is important for us. It’s been like that all season long. It’s not going to change.

“For  a  player not able to play the next game, this is something that we could see on a regular basis. You can see (Derek) Stepan finished a game with a broken jaw, get an operation the next day, miss Game 4, and came back after his operation. So those are the things that you see at this time of the year. But right now (Weise has) got a body injury. He won’t be able to play tonight.”

When asked what criteria a player has to meet to get back on the ice, even if he says he’s fine, Therrien responded: “Those are the things that I don’t know. As a coach, I never get a concussion. But one thing I trust, we trust our medical staff. We trust our doctor. So when they’re saying that he’s good to go, he’s good to go. But right now he’s having a body injury.”

Brandon Prust, who will return from a two-game suspension for a late hit that broke Stepan’s jaw in Game 3, took Weise’s spot on a line with Lars Eller and Rene Bourque during the morning skate.

“He’s going to be hungry to play,” Therrien said about Prust. “He’s going to go hard. He’s excited about playing tonight. We’re glad he’s back in our lineup.”

Goalie Carey Price went on the ice at the end of the morning skate in full equipment for the third straight day, working out by himself before taking a few shots from his teammates.

New York coach Alain Vigneault spoke with the media after the Rangers’ morning skate and was asked about the two-game suspension for Moore.

“Doesn’t matter,” he said. ” So I don’t have any reaction.”

Moore’s spot in the Rangers’ lineup is expected to be filled by former Canadien Raphael Diaz.

“We have Diaz or (Justin) Falk that are available to us tonight,” Vigneault said. “Diaz  has played a little bit of left side. When he has, he has been good. So we’ll make that decision come tonight.”

Vigneault added that he’s not worried about goalie Henrik Lundqvist, who was pulled in Game 5.

“I expect him to play like he always does,” Vigneault said. “I mean, he’s a great goaltender. He strives when the pressure is on.  He knows that tonight’s a big game.

“I heard (goalie coach) Benoit Allaire say when we walked in ‘tonight’s a big game’. I think he picked up on that and we’ll be fine,” Vigneault added with a laugh.

Vigneault was asked about Game 6 being the biggest game in 20 years at Madison Square Garden, since the last time the Rangers won the Stanley Cup.

“You pretty much said it,” the coach said. “Should be exciting for everyone, fans, players, coaches, everybody. It’s going to be a great game. Two teams that are competing real hard, battling for every inch on the ice.  It should be a lot of fun.”

If the Canadiens win Game 6, Game 7 will be Saturday night at the Bell Centre (8 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Gazette file photo/Peter McCabe)

Dave Stubbs video from Thursday morning skate:

Mike Weaver:

Dustin Tokarski drills with goaltending coach Stéphane Waite:

Video from Wednesday in Brossard by The Gazette’s Peter McCabe:

Game 6 Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Five Keys to Game 6, canadiens.com

Canadiens “ready for anything” in Game 6, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Loosey-goosey Habs playing with house money, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

This is a Habs team to remember, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Tokarski shows again why he’s a winner, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Vigneault looks back on his days coaching Canadiens, Stu on Sports blog

If Habs reach Game 7, Reno will sing anthem from Place des Arts, by Brenda Branswell

Aislin’s favourite Habs playoff cartoons, montrealgazette.com

Rangers feeling urgency, New York Post

Rangers say Lundqvist doesn’t need a push after being pulled, New York Times

Canadiens must live on edge in Game 6, SI.com

Canada’s Stanley Cup drought could turn 20, sportsnet.ca

Message-senders not fooling anyone during playoffs, The Hockey News

Stubbs photos from Thursday morning skate at Madison Square Garden:

1dustinx

Dustin Tokarski alone with his thoughts in the dressing room.

1bour

Michaël Bournival.

1danny

Daniel Brière.

1chuck

Alex Galchenyuk sprints into a drill.

1pricer

Carey Price heads out to MSG ice to practice after the morning skate.

1bench

Alex Galchenyuk pauses during the skate while assistant equipment manager Pat Langlois (left) and assistant athletic therapist Nick Addey-Jibb give the photographer the evil eye. Well, not really…

1raf

Former Canadiens defenceman Raphael Diaz is expected to be in the Rangers’ lineup Thursday.

1. habcertain says:

highly unlikely we will drive Lundquist from the net tonight, regardless of the score, but if we expose him, game 7 is in the bag, he will return to the arena of his doom.

2. Lafrich says:

If the Habs are even half as hopped up as I am (and I haven’t started drinking the good stuff yet), they will demolish the Rags. Oh yeah, F Lundqvist!

3. Lafrich says:

Is it 8:10pm yet? COME ON LES BOYS!!!

4. Danno says:

Here’s a job for one our stats weenies

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

5. Danno says:

The Habs

They Never Get No Respect!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. Danno says:

Posted below but worth repeating

————————————

I always give 110% at work.

20% on Monday
    30% on Tuesday
    20% on Wednesday
    30% on Thursday
    10% on Friday – Which I call my Vanek Day

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. Psycho29 says:

Habs will win! 4-2 tonight….
    Another stupid softball game at 7:30. No rain in sight! :-(

We are going to miss Dale Weise tonight, what a great pick up by Bergevin. Sure hope we play our speed and puck possession game, discipline and no slackers tonight!
    Emilin out as well? won’t be missed!

9. Danno says:

Start spreading the news
    Habs are winning today.
    I want to be a part of it
    New Bork! New Bork!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

10. Danno says:

Deep down in his heart, Raphael Diaz knows he owes us a few favours.

A couple of turnovers and maybe an own goal would be appreciated.

Do it for the Count!
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

11. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Anyone nervous?

X X X X X X X X X X X 5 4 3 2 1

12. Danno says:

Ça sent la coupe mes ami(e)s!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. Dudeskiman says:

If the habs keep playing like they did yesterday they will win the cup

14. scrotchland says:

well last game wasnt pretty after they blew the 4-1 lead; our habs were lucky to come back but we will take it.
    like my hero pj stock said lundquest never had 2 bad games in a row so he will come out strong tonight.,plus he has the home crowd behind him.
    as timmo said keep rah rah georges off the ice or away from his own net.
    I hope I am wrong but I think its our boys last game tonight. 6-2 rangers.
    one game at a time, home wasn’t built in a day…

15. FlyAngler says:

Why the Habs will terrorize the Rags tonight:

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

16. WVHabsfan says:

Belated welcome southaltahab! Keep on posting and go Habs go!!

17. jamman says:

For once I’m happy Diaz is in the line-up

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…sitting here in My home office, as I peck-away, I hear My Son listening to the PVRed Tuesday game …I hear now the roar of Habs Fans blowing the roof off the Bell Joint after Pacioretti’s goal

…da Strangers have not made their come-back yet

…never gets old :)

…unfortunately this afternoon I have a 4 PM PT (7 PM ET) appointment at the hospital for a sonagram ultrasound …crummy timing :(

…hope the PVR My Boy makes of today’s game will make Me feel as good as I am feeling right now listening to Tuesday’s game :)

…Go Habbies Go !!!

19. zak says:

Ray Fararro ranting about Dale Weise. What a great p/u along with Weaver. I like the tweaking MB has done with our team rather than trying to make the big deal

20. AceMagnum says:

Give to the children!

21. twilighthours says:

Speaking of running, I’m off for one. I’ll see you chaps during the game. Or, rather, I’ll see the drunken, rageful HIOers during the game.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…reading the cbc report further, besides Weise being observed outside the Habs dressing room (in New York), this means as well that He joined the Team on the flight to New York

…exercising and taking an airplane flight are two things He would not be doing if He had concussion-symptoms

…so it must be another type of injury

…except for fact He will be sorely missed tonight, it’s a relief, hopefully, His brain-trauma was minimal and manageable

23. zak says:

re: Weise coming back.

Nhl protocall should be any player that takes a head shot has to sit the rest of the game. The hitter should get an automatic min 2 games suspension or if they want to end head shots, the hitter sits until the other player is able to play.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Like the spirit of your suggestions, but the snag with the second part is the imbalance if your Dorsett sits out while your Crosby heals….

Immaterial anyway. It’s not in the league’s (dark) best interests to rid the game of head-shots. The league likes head-shots.

24. Jimmy Page says:

PK Subban is the easy pick as MVP.

No PK = No chance at a deep playoff run.

25. twilighthours says:

Several surgeons have told me that I should stop running so as to preserve the long-term health of my knee. I still run. Why would I stop? What am I saving my knee for?

And this is just my hobby.

I can imagine that if it was my lifelong desire, dream, and career, and I only had a few chances to win the big race, I’d definitely be running in it.

Consequently, I can’t blame Weise for getting back out there after he got hit. It’s what he lives to do.

Go Habs Go!!

• JUST ME says:

Such a great comment ! One of the few that makes sense in the middle of all this concussions suspicions madness.

Because the thruth is right there.A guy like Weise is enjoying the ride more than any that had it so much easier in the NHL and he knows that he has to enjoy it now for it may never come back.

All these guys in the lineup have to understand that this chance to be so close to the last dance may never come back again and now is the time to commit yourself and to go all in.

We tend to think that those big stars do not care and are blasé . Not all of them and luckilly it looks like most of the players on the Habs roster are fine tuned.

• DipsyDoodler says:

No one is blaming Weise. It’s the docs who green lighted him who failed.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• twilighthours says:

If Weise was lucid enough to understand the questions and communicate his intentions, then the doctors did not fail him.

Since we have no idea what happened with the doctors, we have no reason to suspect they failed. (Unless there’s some new news that I missed?)

Weise’s return is on Weise. And I can’t judge him for it.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The organ that helps you maintain your you balance and stay attentive is the old noodle. As UCE pointed out, the fact that Weise was visibly imbalanced and woozy after the hit makes it a concussion (or brain injury).
        —–
        Moving. Forward.

• Chris says:

Here’s the difference…if you suffer long-term damage to your knee, you can always get surgery. Walking with a limp is frustrating, as might be future arthritis in the knee joint. But surgeries and/or knee replacements are possible.

Now let’s compare that to a brain injury. Jeff Beukeboom could not abide bright lights. He forgot the names of his own children. He couldn’t do much with his family as he needed to sleep on the same schedule as his toddler. He was frequently irrationally angry with his wife and children…basically, he was not the same person. Two years of that hell almost cost him everything in his personal life.

I don’t blame Weise for going back out there, as that seems to be encouraged in hockey culture. But I do blame the culture for putting such a lack of concern on brain injuries…when you are that wobbly on your skates, it is basically the definition of a Grade I Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, as he did not appear to lose consciousness. Another blow to his head could have been devastating.

Weise said he felt fine, and it is entirely possible that he did. It often takes a few days for symptoms of brain injuries to manifest themselves. That’s where the medical staff comes in…even if it were simply precautionary, I think it would have been more prudent to err on the side of caution given the nature of the hit.

26. Say Ash says:

Gorges will not score tonight!

27. Danno says:

This is the measuring-stick game they use to measure all other measuring-stick games.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

28. zak says:

Alot of the goals against Tokarski was a result of poor defens

e and 2 going in off of Josh.

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

cbc.ca reporting Weise observed today on exercise bike outside Habs dressing room

…I presume if He had concussion symptoms He wouldn’t be allowed to get on a exercise bike …no ?

Wow, the HI/O scribes already have Tokarski above Price on the depth chart based on the latest poll question…… Who’d of thunk a goalie who has yet to win a series is ahead of a goalie who two earlier series, and i thought the Habs fans were fickle!

31. boing007 says:

Car 54 Where are you?

Richard R

32. Old Bald Bird says:

It’s the 27th today. We have a #27 in the lineup. Methinks the stars have aligned.

33. habcertain says:

Watching the Edward Snowden expose last night and lo and behold, talk got around to the Ranger Habs series, spying and hockey, perfect fit.

34. Habcouver says:

It’s a shame that Ryan White hasn’t drawn in the line up at all.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

35. punkster says:

This worked for the 2 elimination games against the br00nz…let’s see if it still has the magic touch.

Release the Subbang!!!