Habs’ Emelin nets OT fantasy winner

Emelin celebrates

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Tuesday night’s game between the Canadiens and the Phoenix Coyotes at the Bell Centre.

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette

Defenceman Alexei Emelin was the unlikely hero Tuesday night as the Canadiens posted a 4-3 overtime win over the Phoenix Coyotes at the Bell Centre.

Emelin scored a power-play at 2:20 when he beat Mike Smith with a slapshot from the point, seconds before Martin Hanzal was scheduled to leave the penalty box.

“(Andrei) Markov and P.K. (Subban) had been out for most of the power play and we sent Emelin and St. Denis out and told them to make sure Phoenix didn’t score,” coach Michel Therrien said.

Rene Bourque, who opened the scoring for the Canadiens, picked up an assist on the game-winner.

The Coyotes , who are still without an owner, showed their resilience as they came back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits to earn a point.

Bourque, who was playing only his second game since recovering from off-season abdominal surgery, scored at 6:31 of the first period  when he deflected a shot by Brian Gionta.

Scott Gomez scored his second goal of the season to give Montreal a 2-0 lead at 2:50 of the third period, but the Coyotes pulled even on goals by former Canadien Kyle Chipchura at 6:15 and Radim Vrbata at 7:57.

The Canadiens regained the lead at 13:11 when the fourth line delivered. Brandon Prust scored his second goal of the season after Ryan White separated Shane Doan from the puck with a hard check in the neutral zone.

“Whitey made the play,” said Prust, who  lifted a backhander into the top corner. “Doan wasn’t able to get a pass off and that opened it up for a breakaway for me.”

The Coyotes assured themselves of a point when defenceman David Schlemko pinched in and scored off a rebound at 17:24 after Carey Price made a stop on Keith Yandle.

Emelin’s goal gave the Canadiens a 1-for-5 record on the power play. The Coyotes had one power play and failed to get a shot on goal. That was partly because Josh Gorges had two of his six blocked shots while killing the penalty.

The Canadiens are home to the Winnipeg Jets Thursday and wrap up the week Saturday when the New York Rangers visit the Bell Centre.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. Donnie Murdo says:

Please, for the love of god, stop this fantasy drivel. It’s more than a little embarrassing.

2. habsfan0 says:

These fantasy games are akin to Mitt Romney’s aspirations for The White House..pure fantasy.

3. Lafleurguy says:

Tony Cowards’ response to Donald Trump’s twitter rants:

“Well, Donald Trump did say that if Obama won, there would be hell toupee.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

4. Ozmodiar says:

A deal is close-at-hand.

The marathon session yesterday AND plans to resume talks today tell me both sides know they’re close to hammering out a deal.

The posturing is over. They’re trying to get a deal done because they know the next thing to go is the remainder of the season.

5. 123456 says:

anyone want some of my money before obama takes it? i figure it should go to nice hard working habs fans instead of _________

6. Blondie says:

Not only did Obama win last night but the citizens of Colorado and Washington voted to legalize marijuana. Both will sell and tax it at state run stores and in Colorado individuals will be allowed up to six plants. Washington will still ban grow your own.

It’s still illegal at the federal level but they plan to review things in light of the votes.

This might be the impetus to get it legalized up here, although it’s unlikely with the current federal government. Maybe some provinces that don’t mind thumbing their noses at the feds could take a similar stance – Quebec, maybe B.C. – to get the ball rolling.

• 24 Cups says:

I hope this doesn’t mean that the headmaster will become an Avalanche fan and move to Colorado to do live, game day blogging.

• Blondie says:

He already does most of his blogs from his basement. It doesn’t really matter where his basement is.

As for Boone becoming an Av’s fan; I seriously doubt it, he bleeds the tricolore like the rest of us. :)

• Lafleurguy says:

Hi good buddy! $12.93 for 20 0z. at the ACC in TO putting it in the same ballpark as “the City of Saints” hockey haven’s prices. For you Montrealers, ballparks are where baseball is played. :-)

“May you live in interesting times.”

7. Habfan10912 says:

And we all KNEW that Montreal was the centre of the hockey universe, right?

———————————–

8. Habfan10912 says:

This article supports my take on the Winter Classic, US version.
    Blondie – Thank you sir.
    ———————————–

9. Habfan10912 says:

Thank god that’s over. $31 billion spent but now I can answer my phone. Now on to the CBA talks. Good vibes from yesterday, eh? This is the week. Do it now or season is over.

———————————–

• Blondie says:

Yep. Seven plus hour meeting yesterday and plans to meet again today – two days in a row, definitely a watershed moment. It looks like they’re finally taking things seriously. This bodes well for a season, I’m getting optimistic again. :)

Glad to hear your utilities are back online.

10. Cal says:

Wednesday is for met(r)ing out justice.
    Oh, and it’s for Queen and David Bowie, too:

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…4 more years !!!

12. Tom says:

So far, from my own little polling down under I can deduce one thing.

Hockey is a non issue in the land of sand and sun. Fantasy or otherwise.

&&

Everyone is super pumped that Obama won.

Win some, lose some I suppose

13. Bripro says:

Obama 280 – Romney 200

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

14. frontenac1 says:

NBC PROJECTS OBAMA WINS!!!!!!!!

15. JohnBellyful says:

I was very much insulted when I read earlier today HH’s post accusing us amateur parodists of having little understanding of rhyming or metre when it comes to writing – excuse me – trying to write hockey-based lyrics.
    The best way to refute his baseless accusation is to demonstrate how far off the mark he is (by channelling the great Ray Charles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65FOQpQpSwc

What’d I write?

Mother, dear, do not treat me badly
    Come and love your lawfully wedded husband all night long
    It’s all right now, yes, yes, it is all right
    Pardon me, do you happen to see the girl with the Stanley Cup ring
    On
    She really knows how to flaunt that jewelry
    It’s all right now, and I will repeat myself, it’s all right, hey, hey, ho-ho-ho
    Tell your mother, which would be my mother-in-law,
    Moreover, tell your father
    I’m going to send you home to Phoenix
    Home of the Coyotes
    In Arizona, ooh, ooh, ooh,
    Gary Bettman has informed me,
    Don Fehr did the same thing, too
    Son, that girl you’re dallying with
    She’s not very good for you
    But, that’s all right, that’s all right.
    It isn’t any use to sit and wonder why, babe
    It doesn’t really matter anymore
    When you see me in misery
    Because my favourite team hasn’t been
    Champions
    In a long,
    Long
    Time, hey, hey, mitochondria
    See the young lady with the crimson dress on
    She very much resembles a Calgary Flame
    Yes, yes, yes, she does

Tell me what did I say right this instant
    Tell me what did I say (hockey puck)
    Tell me what did I say right, now, I insist
    Tell me what did I say (no touch icing)
    Tell me what did I say, yes, please do

Chorus:
    Hey, don’t quit now! Keep negotiating
    Yes, don’t stop now, uh-uh-uh, I’m changing (Go! Go! we’ll do it again)
    Wait a minute, wait a minute, oh ice it! Shoot it! Hold it!
    Hey (hey) ho (ho) hey (hey) ho (ho) hey (hey) ho (ho) hey (ole) hey (ole)
    You make me feel ecstatic,
    Oh one more time (just one more time)
    Say it one more time right now (just one more time)
    Say it one more time now (just one more time)
    Say it one more time yeah (just one more time)
    Say it one more time (just one more time)
    Say it one more time yeah (just one more time)
    Okay, I got it, I’m already blind and now my hearing is going

[Big finale]
    Woah! Shake that thing now (baby shake that thing)
    Baby shake that escrow thing (one ringy-ding-ding)
    Baby shake that thing (two ringy-ding-ding)
    Baby shake that thing right now (baby shake that rattle)
    Baby shake that thing (baby needs a new pair of shoes)
    Hockey-related revenue (baby baby baby baby)
    Woah! I feel all right now yeah (make me feel all right)
    Said I feel all right now (make me feel all right)
    Woooah! (make me feel all right)
    Tell you I feel all right (make me feel all right)
    Said I feel all right (make me feel all right)
    Baby I feel all right (make me feel all right)
    Four score and seven years ago.

16. The Dude says:

And in a fantasy game Emelin breaks a guys hands with his face…..bub bye Romney!

17. SlovakHab says:

First!! :)

now, in regards to the fantasy season: I don’t know how they made Habs this strong. This is an unreal start.

18. Luke says:

I wonder which is worse, reading it or commenting on it?
    Because you just commented on it.

Who cares if someone reads it? Just be happy there is a new thread open for discussion. No need to judge people on what harmless things they find entertaining.

Besides, many of the posts on message boards are fantasy… Gallagher will make the team and score 40 as a rookie. PK will win the Norris. Possible line combos & trades… it’s all fantasy as well.