Emelin, Diaz healthy scratches for Habs against Penguins

Defencemen Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz (photo above) will be healthy scratches when the Canadiens take on the Penguins Wednesday night in Pittsburgh (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Coach Michel Therrien made the announcement after Wednesday’s morning skate. David Desharnais, who is battling the flu, didn’t take part in the morning skate but is expected to play.

Forward Louis Leblanc and defenceman Nathan Beaulieu, both called up from Hamilton, will be in the lineup for the Canadiens. Leblanc will be on a line with Travis Moen and Michael Bournival, while Beaulieu will be paired with Josh Gorges.

“It’s still just a game, but playing against the Penguins is special,” Leblanc told reporters in Pittsburgh after the morning skate. “They have some great players over there. I’m excited. The coach hasn’t given me any special directions or anything, but I’ll just go out there and do whatever they ask of me. I’ve improved my game both offensively and defensively in Hamilton and I’ve been given more and more responsibility on the ice. The coaches are happy with my game. I’ve earned a chance to be here tonight and it will be another test for me.”

After Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens travel to Detroit, where they will face the Red Wings Friday night. Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals will visit the Bell Centre Saturday night.

Canadiens vs. Penguins preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs reunite Markov, Subban, NHL.com

Game Day Report, pittsburghpenguins.com

Pens goalie Vokoun skates for first time since blood clot, pittsburghpenguins.com

Niskanen still thriving in Pittsburgh, NHL.com

Canadiens scouting report, pittsburghpenguins.com

Penguins news, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

1. frankcasting says:

To me, Emelin came back too soon, and I wish he wasn’t going to Sochi. He has really lost a lot of game since last spring, maybe even some weight, he looks gaunt. I’m a huge fan of the Emelin we knew last year, let’s hope he finds himself soon. As for Diaz, huge drop off from last year, maybe because he had that edge on other guys post-lockout having played well in Switzerland. But we can’t be too quick on dealing him or anyone else on the D side, next year is looking a little uncertain.

Loving the Habs since 1965

2. ClutchNGrab says:

Playing the Penguins with Emelin out and Beaulieu playing on the right side, this would be a bad game for PK to take a penalty at the end of a period.

Fortunately they have MT who will always, always, always put the team first and even if they don’t win the game we all know in the long run, it will pay back dividends. The Chicago win in overtime is there to prove it.

Yes, the Habs are 0-2-1 since that game, and were outscored 14 to 8, but that’s short term, unless they win.

3. Sakus Evil Twin says:

For a while there, I almost bought Therrien’s ‘team first’ BS.

Almost.

Now I worry that HE will never, never, never change.

(see what I did there? huh?)
    No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

4. John Q Public says:

So consensus here is we will be blown away tonight.
    Therefore, we should win.
    Hope the monkeys stay out of it.

5. DipsyDoodler says:

It often takes as long as one year to come back from concussion. The player returns long before then of course, but the dexterity, coordination, confidence etc … take longer to come back to normal.

Bourque was injured in late Feb last year, so hopefully soon to return to some kind of form.

• ClutchNGrab says:

Hrudey: “Who in the world would trade for this guy? Come on, that’s a joke they’re saying teams are calling for him and everything. It’s a great start for Calgary right, 3-0? Have you noticed him? You know, this guy — and I’m going to say this politely — but this guy’s passion meter isn’t low on a scale of one to 10…it’s turned off. This guy has to learn that you actually have to have passion in a game, that you can play with hatred.

“The four Hall-of-Famers that we had in the pregame show [Doug Gilmour, Mark Howe, Ed Belfour, Joe Nieuwendyk] talked about the compete level of athletes. There are a lot of guys that have talent and this guy…I don’t even think he cares about the game. He should apologize to his teammates and start playing. He’s got 66 games to go to actually care.”

6. punkster says:

Just got home, read the headline, haven’t scanned the comments yet.

This is nuts.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

7. WindsorHab-10 says:

Emelin a healthy scratch against the Pens of all teams, tells you all you need to know about Therrien & his coaching staff. Alexei is a stud defenceman but unfortunately is playing for a useless coach that has no sense of coaching. I’ve had it with this circus.

• CJ says:

Emelin is struggling. He was very poor in Toronto. His press box pass I get. I don’t understand the choice to dress Bouilion, who was equally inept on Saturday, but will reserve further judgement until after puck drop.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Really? Emelin is a dman we will be paying 4 m next season. Someone who came back from a very serious injury. He´s played 28 games this season, all on the right. ALL!

Play him ten games on the left and he still sucks: Fine, scratch him but sitting him without having played him on his natural side in one single game? That´s pure lunacy. Even more so when you have Bouillon and Murray in the lineup.

• CJ says:

You won’t get an argument from me regarding the merits of Emelin over Boulion.

I believe I offered a respectful reply to the original poster. I feel I was diplomatic.

I re watched the Toronto game yesterday. Emelin was not good. Not good at all. I’m simply saying if you were basing the decision on performance, I can understand the logic, even if I don’t agree with it.

K bye.

• JUST ME says:

Such a loss for HIO….

• Habfan10912 says:

Well at least your not a fence sitter.

• knob says:

I wouldn’t say that his recent play merits the title “stud defenceman”. He has struggled, albeit playing on the opposite side of the ice. I would prefer to see Diaz in instead of Bouillon.

• Habsrule1 says:

omg…why do I come to this site?

Someone please tell me WindsorHab is just trolling.

Go Habs Go!!

8. silversnake says:

So making, Crosby and Neal are going to have a field day in our defensive zone tonight. Fantastic :(

9. Plekasuares says:

Is emelin another MB mistake? I hope not.

• CJ says:

I don’t think so. Hard to argue against the fact that he’s having a very trying season, but the tools are still there. Hoping the Olympics get him back on track.

• B says:

Was signing Emelin a mistake?
      Is not playing Emelin a mistake?
      Are these HIO questions diametrically opposed?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Timo says:

I don’t think so. Emelin hasn’t played a single game on his natural side after returning from a serious injury. Habs haven’t given him all the required support and chances to successfully reintegrate. Let’s just say he didn’t get Dahveed Dayharnay level of support.

10. knob says:

So tonight we get to see Bouillon destroyed by Malkin and Crosby. Beaulieu and LL will have a combined ice time that will be under 10 minutes.

Still hoping for a Habs win tonight but I think that it will be ugly.

11. DipsyDoodler says:

Someone asked whether we ever put young defencemen in a position to succeed.

I thought about it and came up with an answer.

Ryan McDonagh.

12. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Someone needs to tell Poile that there are positions in the game outside the blue line ;)

That’s a steal for them, I think. Klein is a 5-6, Del Zotto a reclamation project that if it fails, well….Weber, Jones, Ellis…..

13. Eddie says:

Love the fence sitters on this site.

Look we’re good, but not great.

We should make the playoffs, but I’m not expecting a Cup

Therrien is a fine coach, who else avalable is better?

Then, when the Habs start to lose, it’s “see, I had much lower expectations than you, so I’m not surprised, not disappointed”.

Fence sitters = zero balls.

Take a position and own it!!

If you think Therriens a good coach, say so, and own that position.

I, uh… oh…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Are you saying I have become Darren Dreger? That’s it, I’m with you, Down with MT!!!!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

OK.

I like vanilla ice cream.

There I said it.

I like Neopolitan, has a bit of everything.

• Eddie says:

Not 1 Therrien supporter will own the position outright.

That’s what I thought.

• bwoar says:

You seem wound very, very tightly.

“thoroughbred”

How do i put this, I hate the fact we fire coaches as often as some change their underwear. It sucks for the present time though, and even though this site doesn’t make it easy, you can read my posts when he was hired that I didn’t like it, but was willing to trust MB on the choice. I am giving the entire regime (have given) 2 years minimum. Because change for the sake of change doesn’t always produce results.

• knob says:

Therrien might be an alright coach but not for this situation. Montreal is “re-toolin”, Therrien is trying to stay employed (and a tool haha);
      Therrien’s style is better suited for a “lunch pail” type team, again not Montreal’s strength.;
      Therrien does not trust the young bucs. Montreal’s best players (plus Plekanec and Markov) are young bucs.

Based on Montreal’s situation and the aforementioned, Therrien sucks.

• Luke says:

Why is fence sitting seen as such a bad thing? Why must it be an either/or situation? Taking a strong position simply to hold a strong position isn’t not the wisest of courses.

I do not think the Habs are atrocious. I do not think the Habs are flawless.

I think the Habs are decent, but need improvement. That’s my opinion and my belief. What is wrong with it? Why should I betray my belief to show that “I have Balls” by stating something that I don’t believe. (Thus proving I don’t “have the balls” to stand strong behind my belief).

Do I think Therrien is a good coach? Meh. He’s better than some and worse than others.

Jack Adams winner? No. Worst coach in the league? No.

That’s an honest opinion. Not necessary the strongest or loudest. But it’s mine. And I own it.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ridiculous post.

Unfortunately, not everything is black and white. I predicted the Habs to finish 6th in the conference, bt I don’t really expect them to win the Cup. Does that make me a fence sitter? I also happen to think Therrien is a decent coach. I would have preferred Patrick Roy, but Therrien was hired. I thought he had done well with a very young pens team and was a big part of the reason they got to a 2nd Cup Final before he was fired. That doesn’t mean I think he’s the best coach out there. Every coach will do things we fans don’t all agree with. Therrien does things that puzzle me, but he’s gotten this team to win more games than I thought he would.

Not sure how any of that makes me (or others) fence sitters. If the question is would I like a better coach to be coaching the Habs, then the answer is yes. The answer will always be yes to that question.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habfan10912 says:

I think he’s a poor coach. I think he sold the Hab management a bill of goods when he convinced them that he had changed. I don’t think he has changed at all.

That said, this team has significant holes in very important places on its roster. They are still significance undersized up the middle, they have a less then average defense on the back end, and they have way too many 3 and a-half liners playing top 6 minutes.

It’s hard to place ALL the blame on the coach. At best his current grade may even be higher then the GM who seems to go unscathed here much to often.

It’s a flawed roster with the wrong coach but in spite of all this, with Price, PK, Pleks, Markov, Galchenyuk, and Patches, there is enough talent to make a stink in the playoffs,

14. Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m going to be in Toronto the week of the Olympic tourney. I’ll be spending every available second with family, but I see that the Can-Finland game is on at midday EDT. If one were to watch that game in a public location, where might be amenable to HIOers not working that day?

15. Habilis says:

Mike Smith won’t be bringing his family to Sochi because of the security concerns. He has 2 kids, another on the way. Can anyone blame the guy for thinking this way? If so, check out the second to last paragraph of the above article:

“According to a report from the Washington Post, Russian security officials are hunting down a trio of potential suicide bombers, one of whom is believed to be in Sochi.”

Scary stuff.

I’m betting we see a lot of this from the NHL guys.

16. sheds88 says:

i wish a guy like guy boucher was available.

17. Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for the excellent background and analysis of the Mahovolich/Redmond trade! (Last thread: gumper, B, Hansolo, New).

Great reading.

GHG

18. bwoar says:

Just a little ray o’ sunshine:

ROW numbers (Regulation + OT wins), i.e. legit wins….

MTL with 24 is tied with TB, NYR and SJ.

Good ol’ Amazing Maple Leafs: 18 (12th in the East!)

So let’s not get to envious of winning a boatload of shootouts. That’s a pretty serious tiebreaker right there.

“thoroughbred”

19. SteverenO says:

from bad to worse, dumb to dumber.

Player: Mins per GF ES | Min per GA | (plus/minus)
    even strength | even stren |
    Diaz: 37 MPGF | 31 MPGA | -3
    Emelin: 37 MPGF | 20 MPGA | -9
    Bullion: 37 MPGF | 23 MPGA | – 9
    Murray: 72 MPGF | 21 MPGA | -10

Gorges: 27 MPGF | 40 MPGA | +9
    markov; 21 MPGF | 27 MPGA | +9
    Subban: 20 MPGF | 28 MPGA | + 12

Beaulieu: 23 MPGF | 0 GA * | +2
    (*46 minutes played)

Diaz has been considerably better than all of three of Bouillon, Murray and Emelin. He should not be entered into the equation of who is sitting out.

regards,

Steve O.

20. CJ says:

How many here would have traded Markov for either Klein or del Zotto?

21. krob1000 says:

Emelin will be Emelin again after the Olympics…whether intentional or not I have zero doubt he is playing cautiously right now…the Olympics in Russia? htat is something very few players get to do…play on an Olympic team..and on their home soil! That is what many kids overseas growing up dreaming about…not the Stanley CUp as awful as that is for us to imagine….I have zero doubt that once the Olympics are over that Emelin will be hitting everything that moves again…

• Forum Dog says:

I’d like to agree, but I think it’s gonna be next year before Emelin fully trusts that knee of his. Re-injuring it probably front of mind for him, hence the cautious play.

22. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost, All is lost,

there, is that the required ante to get into the Game of Moans here at HIO?

Last 10 games

1 Boston 49 31 15 3 30 65 141 109 19-5-2 12-10-1 5-4-1
    2 Tampa 50 29 16 5 24 63 146 123 14-6-3 15-10-2 5-4-1
    3 Montrl 49 27 17 5 24 59 126 120 14-8-3 13-9-2 4-4-2

Ah but they are trending down … for what, the rest of the season?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

23. twilighthours says:

Gotta shovel.

Boo….

Good night all. I’m at a flick tonight, won’t see the game. Fingers crossed.

On a more positive note, Mayor Ford has once again provided some ammunition for the late night comics, I am hoping for big things from them.

25. twilighthours says:

It’s a snow day here, so I nestled down in bed and read it all. All of it. All of today’s comments on the lineup.

So, nothing new to add here.

Our D is so broken. It might not even be the wrong thing to do to scratch Diaz and Emelin; they have been brutal. But any mix of players once past Markov, Subban, Gorges is so scary. I fear the Pens are going to have a romp tonight.

Good luck to Nate B. This doesn’t seem to be the right game to throw him into. Hope he has fun!

• rhino514 says:

And yet, up to recently, the team was fourth in the league in goals against. They went through a stretch of a good 20-25 games playing very scroogy defence; Therrien somehow managed to get that out of them. I am at a loss to explain this team; it is the most schytsophrenis habs team I have ever seen.

26. Chuck says:

Ok… just checking in on a lunch break. What’s the freak out topic du jour around here?

As mentioned earlier, Genie Bouchard plays tonight at around 9:30pm for all those looking to watch a Montreal Winner on TV tonight.

28. 25 while im alive says:

I think Beaulieu could work ok with markov on pp. Markov plays left side sets beaulieu for one time and sneaks in for back door tap in

• JUST ME says:

That could be a good pair . Beaulieu needs someone to stay back there cause he tends to attack and leave his position. He has more upsides than just not being entirely trustable on defense. I think this guy will surprise many eventually.

I like your knickname but have my doubts…let`stay positive !

• GrimJim says:

…while all the Penguins stand around talking about their stock options…

29. JUST ME says:

I was wondering if any of you knew if it would be possible to send Emelin to Hamilton for reconditioning purposes ? Isn`t it a possibility when a player comes back from a serious injury ? I do not think that playing on the wrong side really is the problem but i just can`t believe how his game has changed since before his injury. I`d rather see him work hard and regain his confidence than look at the game from the press box…

• CJ says:

Not possible at this point.

Conditioning stints are possible, however are seldom used. There is inherit risk with sending someone down, injuries, etc. With Elemin, it’s not a conditioning issue, it’s entirely confidence based. He had a major procedure and doesn’t trust himself the way he once did. Hits that he used to flatten guys with are now not even knocking them off the puck. I’m hoping the Olympic break can help restore his confidence. Otherwise, we are left to wait for next season.

• Habilis says:

I agree that it won’t happen, but it’s still possible.

There are only two requirements for a conditioning stint:

1. The player has to agree to it.
        2. It cannot exceed 7 days.

That’s it.

• JUST ME says:

Well then i am not sure that 7 days will do the job. I say like CJ we have to be patient …

• CJ says:

Sorry to clarify as my post doesn’t read properly.

Conditioning stints are possible.

With respect to Emelin, it won’t happen. It would not be possible to send him down as he would not agree to the transfer.

• Habilis says:

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were relating the conditioning stint to the amount of time since the injury. My bad.

I agree with you, there’s no way Emelin accepts one now. I doubt he would even have accepted one right when he came back. There’s peripheral issues for him with the language barrier and all. He has a level of comfort here with Markov and Chucky, I’m sure.

• CJ says:

Not your fault. When I reread my post it failed to effectively convey my message. Cheers, CJ

• Maritime Ronn says:

Theoretically yes, yet there are several CBA conditions required, one being the OK of the player involved, another being the time frame. The whole scenario is quite complex .

• Strummer says:

I would have liked to see Bourque in the minors for a few games in addition to Emelin but as Maritime Ronn stated they would need to agree.
      It isn’ t so much conditioning that they lack but the opportunity to get a lot of ice time without the pressure of an NHL game that would help them to regain their confidence..

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

30. kempie says:

I can’t imagine a way that this could work out well. Is that a turning point that I smell coming? Maybe it was the dog.

31. zephyr says:

why beaulieu? he’s light at 194. georges & bouillon are light. our light dmen can’t handle big forwards. period. i’ll leave it to mb to decide when the time is right for prospects but it seems to me that pateryn is a better option right now. I assume we’ll see him & tinordi up b4 the season is over. I’m ok with sitting emelin temporarily. he needs to reboot because he stank against t.o. & the last few. georges stank too but I guess u can’t sit everyone.
    there are very few guys I’d take a chance on trading. depending on what returns we could get, I think we’d be safe trading one or more of georges, diaz, gio & briere. briere prob has little market value.
    I don’t know why we are so inconsistent. sounds like a coaching prob to me. somehow I doubt mb pulls the plug b4 the end of the season. bottom line is I’m not expecting much from the habs this year any more.

32. thehabsfan29 says:

How did the preds get del zotto for only Klein?!!!

We could have traded Diaz for del zotto then….

• Cap hits maybe? Klein is signed through 17-18, Zotto is RFA next season. So odds are the Rangers are in the hunt for something big (trade wise). SO who are the Rags looking for that is worth 6-7 million…….Got it! DESHARNAIS! Stay Tuned……

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• CJ says:

Clearly there are cap implications with del Zotto likely due a big raise. That said, he is a terrific defencemen, 7 years younger then Klein. I like Klein, but they are really totally different players. If you base it entirely on the player and not the cap hit, del Zotto has way more upside and, as noted, is quite a bit younger.

• Sportfan says:

I’m surprised that it was 1 for 1 and no prospects or picks were involved cause honestly I’m sure other teams like Ottawa were going to pay more lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• CJ says:

Likely an unwillingness to trade within the conference. I do agree, Ottawa was likely willing to give up more.

Del Zotto has serious upside potential. You don’t want that coming back to haunt you like Gomez for McD……oh, I can’t even say it.

• JUST ME says:

CJ ,

Del Zotto had a solid potential and the key word i think is had…

Everybody though he was not one of Tort`s favourite, was sent down to the farm team, sat a few games in the stand but now it`s Vigneault`s turn to come to the same conclusion. There must be something wrong with him other that the fact that he is going to be costly soon. Money never stopped the Rangers.

And to think that this guy was more than highly regarded when he joined the league !

Nope I am told he is great and that MB could have had him for nothing. Del Zotto is future Norris trophy winner. ;-)

• CJ says:

I truly believe he still has it. My wife’s cousin played in the rangers organization two years ago, briefly with the rangers, but mostly in Hartford with the wolf pack. Long story short, we watched his games and I got to see a lot of del Zotto. Kid still has a ton of upside. I honestly think Klein is a good fit for the rangers, but if you are assessing the deal on talent alone, del Zotto will be the better player. Just my opinion. Cheers, CJ

• thehabsfan29 says:

I Thought the rangers would get at top 9 forward or top 6 defensemen and either a decent prospect or a 2nd or even first for him.

Very surprised Ottawa didn’t grab him. they would have for sure given up much more for him

Sather is a terrible GM in my opinion

33. Walmyr says:

So, +30 minutes for PK and Markov tonight…I’m ok with that…

Hope Beaulieu and LL play a good game…

Have a good game folks…enjoy to watch Price stealing another game for us (we definitely gonna need him)…

CHeers

34. Sportfan says:

Preds got Del Zotto and wow really sit the damn cube and leave Emelin alone!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. wjc says:

HEADLINE: SOME MONTREAL FANS IN UPROAR.

Oh wait, they are always in an uproar. No decision is a good decision.

Therien does not know his place, he should do the politically correct thing and take a poll.

He never makes a correct decision, even if it works out.

Because if it works out it is never mentioned again. Bergevin and Dudley and the assistant coaches are all innocent bystanders. Hopelessly ringing their collective hands together. They cry “what can we do Mr. Therrien is out of control.

The players quietly murmur as they check their bank deposits to make sure their last multi-thousand dollar pay day cleared.

Stay tuned game could be cancelled to save the poor hapless fan anymore angst.

wjc

• “Angry Habs fans” is just about as newsworthy as “Wednesday.”

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

36. Ali says:

Therrien moves Emelin back to natural left side

Everyone: “Yes! Finally”

Therrien: wait, people like it? Make him a healthy scratch

37. Strummer says:

Everyone in a tizzy about tonight’s match.
    Doesn’t look favourable for the good guys.

Ahem, Isn’t this the same Pittsburgh team that scored a total of 3 goals in getting swept by the Bruins in last year’s conference final?

The same team that lost its last game to FLA by a 5-1 score?

What would Carey say? Chill perhaps?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• bwoar says:

Looking forward to the line shift where Eller goes back to centre and LL gets to go to work with Plekanec and Gionta. Habs are due for a “hey these guys ain’t half bad!” game.

“thoroughbred”

• Strummer says:

LL is due for a breakout game. Hopefully The team’s patience will pay off.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Habilis says:

Good point. And also the reason I will watch the game with a modicum of hope. We always have a chance to beat any team when Carey plays.

38. CJ says:

Del Zotto traded from the rangers to Nashville.

39. DickandDanny says:

At the top right corner at the beginning of this thread is the caption, “Season winds down for the Habs” with a picture of Cunneyworth and Cammaleri. How appropriate is that. Seems all too familiar.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

40. GGtheHab says:

Habs were forecasted to finish 9th-12th by many…and to challenge for a WC spot by some…they have been exceeding expectations and are on pace to make the playoffs…we may be under estimating the effect the loss of Chucky and White has had. But ffs people “chillax”…we were never expected to win 82 games..we are what we are..even the Hawks, Blues and Penguins lose games.

41. Forum Dog says:

Meh. Surprised that Emelin would sit. He did not have a good game against TO, but he is a core guy who you want to get back up to speed. I understand he is coming off a major injury and is maybe hitting a wall right now, but they haven’t played since Saturday night so its not like he hasn’t had rest over the last 3 days.

Diaz I am not surprised about. Beaulieu can take 2nd PP duties and generally fill the role Diaz plays.

The way I see it, they wan’t Bouillion out there to support Beaulieu, which makes some sense. Bouillion won’t mess around if someone tries to take advantage.

• B says:

Diaz is the #2 short handed Dman on Montreal (behind Gorges). I still find it interesting that many consider Gorges and Diaz totally useless yet they are the top 2 PK TOI Dmen on the 4th ranked PK in the NHL.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Forum Dog says:

Fair. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t even dislike Diaz, and see him as a complimentary piece who could play on the bottom pairing. But I don’t see him as a core guy. He’s one of the first that will get usurped by the younger guys coming through.

• B says:

I’ve got no problem if a prospect is ready to step in and take a spot in Montreal. I don’t expect Beaulieu is ready at this point in time to step in and take on the big PK minutes Diaz has been logging. I think others will have to make up that difference tonight. Beaulieu should be fine for PP duty and hopefully hold his own or more at even strength (and try not to do too much now that he is getting in another NHL game). Another step in the right direction for him I hope.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Maritime Ronn says:

All NHL people will say that for a PK to function, the Goaltender has to be the best PK man on the ice.

How would the Habs PP look if Dubnyk was in nets?

• B says:

Are the Habs better or worse on the PK this season when Budaj is in nets? I don’t know the statistical answer off hand. I do know that they have allowed 23 goals against while short handed this season. Price (2,318:42 total TOI) has been in for 20 and Budaj (645:29 total TOI) has been in for 3. It seems quite possible that they are better on the PK so far this season when Budaj is in nets.

Edit: Price’s SH save% is .894, Budaj’s is .906 (Dubnyk’s is .887)

–Go Habs Go!–

42. DickandDanny says:

There’s more scratching going on here than a flea at a dog show.

And, here I always thought this was a dog and pony show.

I stand corrected. My apologies to the pony.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

43. Cal says:

MT has come up empty. Scratching Emelin. Really?
    Tonight, when it’s the 3rd period and he’s standing there with his lips curled into that “Oh!” look, he can eat sh*t.
    He’s looking more and more like a doofus. Sorry, Matty, but this is what it is. Can’t wait for him to be back on Anti-Chambre spouting more garbage.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s about accountability, I imagine.
      Emelin looked like crap last game and has played badly for a while.
      Why is it unpardonable to scratch him but not Bourque?

• CJ says:

I agree, Emelin was awful last game, as was Boulion. I don’t agree with Frankie coming back in, but what do I know.

• Cal says:

When it comes to scratching Bourque, I don’t have a problem. He has no passion in his game.
        Scratching one of the only physical Dmen the Habs have is not very smart. Crosby and Malkin already have 3 small centers to deal with and now have an under-sized and old Cube to dance around. Tonight will not be very pleasant to watch if you’re a Habs fan.

• Habsrule1 says:

Speaking of doofuses, nice post.

Really? Sitting Emelin & Diaz, who have done nothing for the past dozen games, makes him look that bad?

Only in Montreal would 2 players playing badly getting benched cause a stir like this.

Go Habs Go!!

• CJ says:

I don’t agree with the decision, if only because it means Frankie is back in. Frankie won’t be playing hockey – excuse me, shouldn’t be playing – hockey next year. That’s my issue with the decision. I understand you play the cards you’re dealt, but there has to be a better solution.

• Cal says:

Right back at ya, rule1. Emelin is PHYSICAL. He balances the D. He’s struggling a little coming back from major surgery, but by all means watch tonight and see the Pens cutting through the D like a scythe through the grass when PK and Markov aren’t on the ice. Take note of the 20 chances from the slot they will generate.

44. careysubban3176 says:

Is this some sick joke! If I was Price I would pull a Paul Crew from the movie Longest Yard.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Mattyleg says:

If you were Price, you wouldn’t be posting on here with a dreamy photo of him next to your name.

• careysubban3176 says:

You don’t know that? I never post during the live blogs because I’m playing goalie of coarse ;)

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

Very tricky indeed. We all would be thrown off the trail because we’d all think the real Price could spell “course”.

Well done, sir…well done.

Go Habs Go!!

• careysubban3176 says:

I had MT type that for me as I was taking off my equipment from morning practice. Hence the spelling error.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

45. Hockey Bob says:

I would rather see Emelin in there over Frankie but what the hell do I know. I am just wondering will I see a Stanley Cup, or are we headed for a Leafs like drought? I wish I was around for the 70′s *sigh*

I agree with Diaz sitting… he should always sit. But benching Emelin will unlikely to help his coming back to last year’s level of confidence. Would be better to give him shielded minutes and play him against safe(r) opponent lines (understandably hard to do on the road).

Anyhoo… i am sure Michael Therrien knows better.

47. icemachine says:

Not sure if this was mentioned in the last thread but Fucale has just broke a 35 year old mark in the Q, setting the record for quickest to 100 Wins in only 145 GP

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Fucale looks to be a blue chipper, but let’s not forget that team he’s playing on. Not to take too much away from him as you have to be good to win, even with a great team. But Halifax is dominant up front.

Funny how in just a year we went from no goaltending depth to having Tokarski (playing very well in the AHL) and perhaps the best goalie in all the CHL.

Now we just need to work on our forwards.

48. veryhabby says:

So if we were to ask the HAbs management to list our Dmen from 1 to 8. How do you think THEY would respond. Not how you or anyone else with knowledge would, but how would the habs write up their list today?

I’m thinking due to line up
    #1 Markov
    #2 PK
    #3 Gorges
    #4 Beaulieu (not bad after 1 game)
    #5 Murray….Emelin
    #6 Diaz….Boulion

But in reality it is:
    #1 PK
    #2 no one
    #3 Markov
    #4 last year’s Emelin (so no one)
    #5 Gorges, Beaulieu (he’s raw still)
    #6 Diaz, this year’s Emelin
    #7 Murray
    #8 Bouillion

so we are missing a true #2 and #4 dman at this time

You have to decide who is your starting 6 and just stick with it, the ones who are on the outside then they wait for an injury instead of rotating in and out

Pk/Mark
    Gorges/Beaulieu
    Emelin/Diaz

Murray and Bouillion can wait for injuries

• Habsrule1 says:

I like how your opinion is “reality”. Makes me really want to read the whole post.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

Bunk. Markov is a bonafide #2.

• gmur says:

How many teams wouldn’t trade their top two defencemen for Markov and PK Subban and consider themselves winners in the deal? Two or three?

• bwoar says:

Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix, Nashville would be in that discussion. Ottawa, Boston, and sooner or later Winnipeg would be in the ballpark.

(I bring up the Jets as Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian and Trouba are as good a top 4 as anyone but St. Louis from the teams above. If you haven’t watched much Jets, be sure to catch the 19-year-old Trouba in action. He’s +6 and looking every bit like a top pairing guy in the making.)

“thoroughbred”

• bwoar says:

I posted about this in the last thread.

1. Subban
      2. Markov
      3. Emelin (here’s hoping, we’ve seen the talent)
      4. Gorges (ugh, the guy is not a #4 on a real defense)

5-9. Everyone else, including rookies and Drewiske (I see you forgot him)

You want reality, that’s as close as you’re likely to get.

I remember during the lockout being told repeatedly that Subban-Markov would never, ever work, and everyone posting pairings with Subban-Gorges (yuck!). Thoroughly glad that’s over with.

“thoroughbred”

• veryhabby says:

bwoar…u just proved my point

#3 emelin….hoping
        #4 gorges…ugh he isn’t #4 on a real D

That’s my point. After Mark/PK we have guys playing a lot higher then MTL has slotted them in. We can hope emelin/Gorges get back to what we feel they should be. What if they don’t. Then we are lacking a #3-4 dman. OUCH!

Gee didn’t think the word “reality” would get you all in knots. Ok, let me change it to… “more realistic look”

• bwoar says:

Yep, people are a little touchy around that word. To be fair, it’s thrown around a lot here and not always well-used.

I have always, always maintained Gorges was a #5 or preferably #6, so to me the 3-5 spots are open. I do have high hopes for Emelin after seeing him play very good 2nd pair minutes with Markov. Tough to say if he wasn’t just getting a benefit there but I know he can play better hockey. If the coach lets him bloody play.

Next year I’d like:

#2 Top Stay-At-Home Guy – Subban
          Markov-Emelin
          Beaulieu/Tinordi-Gorges
          Murray or preferably a goon D for “those” games.

Though depending on what Markov wants.. it could be “Do svidanya”

“thoroughbred”

49. Who’s more valuable to the team? Price, or Subban?

I’m a goalie fan so no need to answer here.

Looking for Hart nominations to send to front office. :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

50. monmick says:

Scratched Olympians…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

Rene Fasel apparantly has a call in to MB, didn’t sound like he was too happy.

• monmick says:

I haven’t checked, but I wonder whether any other player in the league, who has been selected on his national team, has been scratches recently? Maybe the Habs are just that deep!

Bonus Question: Has anyone who’s been selected on his national team been benched recently?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

I believe Kulemin has been a healthy scratch a few games this year, picked for Russia.

Now putting my thinking cap on.

Halak has been pulled, more thinking cap time needed now.

Edit:Yannick Weber

I think Andrej Meszaros and Tomas Tatar have been scratches this year.

Carl Hagelin has been a healthy scratch quite a few games for Rangers.

Jakob Silfverberg has been a healthy scratch recently as well.

And finally, what do you call the Rangers not giving King Richard as many starts as usual this season? Is that a scratch, kind of?

• monmick says:

If you’re thinking a pull is equal to a scratch, then both Price and BobbyLoo have be pulled recently… I’m sure there are others…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• monmick says:

I know Silfverberg has been injured, but wasn’t aware that he had been scratched…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

Yah, the pull thing isn’t fair, especially after Dunboyne’s explanation this morning. Pulling a Goalie is never going to be the same for me again.

• monmick says:

Re King Hendrik: yeah, I think that counts as a pseudo-scratch. The Swedes are weak in goal; but I guess King Hendrik has the ability to “pull it off” at any given time, so I wouldn’t write them off just yet…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Mattyleg says:

Hey, Therrien’s doing his job for Team Canada!
      Guy’s a freakin’ Saint!!

• Habsrule1 says:

Shows how desperate those Olympic teams are.

Actually I think Emelin is very good, but he’s not playing well right now. Diaz is ok…just don’t see him as a great fit. He’s supposed to be somewhat offensive, but it doesn’t show up all that much.

Go Habs Go!!

51. Luke says:

” Lionel Messi is set to bag an astronomical £37m-a-year contract at Barcelona.”

Terrible signing.

Smurfity smurf smurf smurf.

Alex Anthopolous not to be outdone by the Yankees, announces that the Jays will indeed bring back Ricardo Nanita! Take that New York! We’re gunning for you.

53. ClutchNGrab says:

Another game, another arena where Subban will get booed. A couple of years ago Amanda Stein was surprised PK was booed in Winnipeg and didn’t understand why. Winnipeg was a new market in the league and they looked so nice, why would they boo pk?

Well, she forgot before having an NHL team, Winnipeg had an AHL team, who played the Bulldogs in the payoffs.

From TSN:
    P.K. Subban silenced the Manitoba Moose fans who booed him every tie he touched the puck.

The Hamilton defenceman scored his second goal at 6:05 of double overtime to give the Bulldogs the 5-4 victory over Manitoba, and 3-1 lead in the North Division best-of-seven semifinal.

Game 5 goes Friday in Winnipeg.

Subban, who also scored one of six goals in a wild second period, appeared to be targeted by many of the 7,501 fans at the MTS Centre after he sent Moose forward Dusty Collins into Manitoba’s bench early in the first period and got an interference penalty.

“To be honest with you, I’m not going to try to figure out why they booed me,” Subban said.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Opposition fans always boo the BEST…or the ones they would die for to have in their own lineup.

• I dunno — Habs fans boo Crosby, and most woudl trade half the team to get him. I remember a Hamilton-Binghampton game at the Bell Centre, years ago, where Brian Elliott was starting for the Senators and the crowd chanted “Ellie-Ott” for a good chunk of the game. It’s personal, but it’s not personal. : )

54. krob1000 says:

So just for the record….MB’s signings are Briere (MT scratches), Parros (MT scratches), Murray (MT scratches), Emelin(MT scratches), DD (MT scratches), Emelin (scratched), Diaz (scratched), Subban (scratched), White (scratched), Eller (scratched) (scratched)…….starting to wonder if there is not an internal power struggle going on….

Guys I don’t recall being benched…Pleks, Markov, Gorges, Gionta, Gallagher, Pacioretty ..they all have something in common…

• Mattyleg says:

(Subban was scratched in 2011 by Martin, Eller at the beginning of last season)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Should never have signed PK…..

• Habsrule1 says:

So what? The coach is doing the right thing. He’s benching the players who deserve to be benched. Is he supposed to check their contract status before benching them?

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

I don’t think it’s an internal power struggle. I think it’s an external ‘playing hockey like poop’ struggle.

MT & MB seem fairly collaborative from what we see on 24CH (apres edits of course).
      The players seem fairly… un-collaborative… from what we see on the ice (sans edits).

Now, even if MT has lost the room, as some may suggest, I still don’t like that any player would quit. All I want is effort. I’m not even worried about results. If you give full effort and lose, that’s fine. If you half-ass it… booo-urns.

55. Mattyleg says:

Ahhhh, HI/O, never change.

The people who were posting during the game that Emelin was garbage, was a waste of space, and was better suited warming a seat in the pressbox are now expressing their absolute outrage that Therrien has scratched him.

Because their dislike of Therrien supercedes their dislike of Emelin, I guess.

HI/O, I love ya.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Well apparantly Vegas has listed tonights game as Guaranteed win night for Pittsburgh, they aren’t even taking bets on Montreal to win. It is that guaranteed!

• Mattyleg says:

I hear a rumour that they might not even bother playing the game.

• Eddie says:

Well I will guess Malkin is good for 3 points tonight.

Unless Price steals another game, I think we are in deep trouble.

I don’t doubt it will be uphill Ed, just the doom and gloom is starting to reach epic proportions.

• Eddie says:

Burly, it would be less doom and gloom if we went with our best lineup.

And it’s not like Therrien doesn’t know who we are playing.

And the Pens were just embarrassed by Florida at home, so they will be busting out of the gate.

I am not a big supporter of MT, I just can’t get as worked up over this. We are presently stuck with this coach. I am hopeful at seasons end an honest assessment by MB is done on whether or not MT should coach moving forward.

I instead am looking forward to watching Leblanc and Beaulieu. It is my way of coping with a frustrating time in the season.

• Habsrule1 says:

So, this is not our best lineup due to the fact that Emelin & Diaz are out?

I think you have both of them on too high of pedestals. They have both been really bad for quite some time now….unfortunately.

Go Habs Go!!

• Eddie says:

I hear you Burly. I will try and ease up.

@Eddie, no worries here bud. Your frustration only shows your passion, besides, your question about who takes Malkin is a very poignant one.

• Maritime Ronn says:

What’s the Over/Under for Pittsburgh Shot on Goal?
      45?

57. DickandDanny says:

We have a strange affliction for picking up 6th to 7th ranked D men and trying to craft them into top 4 d-men. Gorges, Boullion, Drewiskie, Diaz all come to mind.
    Of course I am still po’d that James Wisniewski was not re-signed. i really liked that guy. Imagine our second pp d-pairing with him on our roster. Instead, we have Boullion and Diaz,,or worse yet Gorges and Diaz. Pathetic.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Wiz was signed to a big contract
      6 years/$33M – $5.5 per year.
      Then again, Gorges ($3.9M) + Bouillon ($1.5M) just about equates Wiz

• Maritime Ronn says:

Oh….and he plays the Right Side….

• DickandDanny says:

Not initially. He only signed that big contract after Montreal cut him loose in the off season. He could have , and would have re-signed for far less with Montreal. i think that was a pretty well known fact, had he been signed by the Habs ‘during’ the season. Of course we had that ridiculous policy of not discussing contracts during the season. Who comes up with rules like that. Ridiculous.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• B says:

His rights were traded by Montreal on June 29th 2011. Montreal’s last game that season was April 27th (knocked out in the 1st round by Boston). They had a very good idea of what Wiz was looking for and decided it was too rich for them. Columbus then signed him to a huge deal on July 1st 2011.

–Go Habs Go!–

• B says:

I believe it was either Markov or Wiz, so he would not be a 2nd pairing guy, he would be in Markov’s spot (and already signed for 3 more seasons).

I have no problem with the decision they made at the time not to try and out bid teams like Columbus for Wisniewski’s home run contract. Note they got a pick that turned into Hudon for sending 2 days of his signing rights before he turned UFA to Columbus.

–Go Habs Go!–

58. adamkennelly says:

healthy scratching 2 of our “top 6″ d-men – yikes.

playing in place is Frankie B who is at best a #8 D man and Beaulieu – who I have no problem with.

bottom line – Habs should get destroyed tonight. Maybe Pens can pump in 6 on Price and knock his confidence down a few notches.

• Habsrule1 says:

He’s benching 2 guys who are playing terrible right now. I don’t have a real problem with it. Most of these moves he has made have worked out ok.

What is that last line for? Sounds like you are hoping for this to happen.

Bet you predicted something similar when the Habs beat the Hawks.

Go Habs Go!!

• adamkennelly says:

playing terrible or ARE terrible..thats my point. you scratch 2 guys Habs were counting on to be decent and they are not – so you put in an old, slow and outgunned Frankie B and a rookie. doesn’t instill much confidence going into a game vs. the #1 team in the conference.

“most of these moves have worked out ok” – what do you base that statement on? that it works 1 game and then not the next.

MT is a terrible coach- who would remain forever out of work if not for the need for Francophone coaches and Habs team currently does not have enough good players. Period.

Doesn’t mean we can’t beat anyone in the league on any given night however – which I always root and hope for but lets take off the rose colored glasses when looking at tonight’s line-up.

59. HabsWin-nipeg says:

So, I typed up a very detailed (i.e. long) assessment of the Habs, hit submit, and it disappeared. I now submit my scaled down version:

The Habs are an average team at present, with a good/young core, and significant holes in the line-up. I don’t see them as a team that will go far in the playoffs, if they make it there.

Goal – strength of the team…leave it alone

Defense – after Subban/Markov/Emelin parts are average/below average. Beaulieu/Tinordi/Patteryn are better options and the future of the D. Time to start moving them in.

Offense – too many a)underachievers, b)fading veterans, c)undersized players. Time to move some of them at the deadline.

Coaching – team has no identity. Time for a change.

This would likely result in us missing the playoffs, but we’d be better for it in the long run. If MB is truly focused on long term success, I think it’s time to admit that the current roster needs significant change, and then make those changes sooner rather than later. Fans would be OK with it if they knew there was a plan. This team resembles too many of the previous incarnations over the past 20 years.

60. Luke says:

Wait, is this the coach who doesn’t punish any players for their lack lustre play or the coach who only punishes PK out of spite?

61. AH says:

So we just signed Emelin to a healthy (no pun intended) contract extension, and now he’s been scratched twice…yikes!

62. Eddie says:

If Subban and Markov take Crosby, who plays against Malkin?

63. DickandDanny says:

This is not anything new. Emelin was just a healthy scratch two weeks ago. So, too was Diaz recently. I agree with the poster below (without the need for vulgarity) that Boullion is not an improvement over either one of them.
    What really puzzles me is the inability of the GM and Coach, after nearly 50 games and 40 some last season to figure out who can play and who can’t. Who can play with each other and who can’t. Who can play right and who can play left. These little things to me reveal a larger picture of a GM who is struggling to map out a plan for this team and where it is headed. That’s what scares me. All these little tweaks here and there are just band aids. They are also disruptive to the teams chemistry. Determine what you need and go out and make a trade for it. I’m tired of hearing there are no willing trade partners. TO and Carolina made a good one for one trade which helped both players and their respective teams.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Captain aHab says:

More like “there are no willing trade partners for over the hill francophone players”. Sure that will change though…

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• DickandDanny says:

Yes, that is part of it. Everyone knows we will scoop those ones up in the free agent frenzy.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

64. bwoar says:

Scratch Emelin? I can’t imagine the plan. Let’s just hope it doesn’t involve sitting Beaulieu after 4 shifts and playing 5 D.

Honestly, there’s just no real plan here anymore.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

Maybe it has something to do with accountability.

Therrien said that a lot of the reason we lost last game was individual mistakes. Perhaps he saw Emelin’s play as being part of that, and he has told him as much.

Bourque got sat for underproduction/underenthusiasm, Emelin sits for repeated lapses.

65. GL says:

Tonights Predictions:

Winners: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Phoenix.

66. Maritime Ronn says:

…Add to that Beaulieu playing on the Right Side with Gorges- a side he has never played on, and this could get out of hand fast.

Then again, the RDS guys (Therrien defenders) said it didn’t matter what side Beaulieu plays because you know…he’s a defensive liability on both sides….and he should just be happy to have a chance. or as Darche said, if the coach asks him to play forward or goalie, he should just be happy.

• bwoar says:

The RDS guys do have a point. But that doesn’t make Therrien right!

“thoroughbred”

• shiram says:

Sure he should be happy, the pay check, the big stage…
        But is it good for the team, for the game tonight?
        Is it giving the young player the best chance to succeed?

• Mattyleg says:

I think just being on the ice is a chance to succeed.
          The coach will factor in the mitigating factors (not his normal side, etc) when he assesses his contribution after the game.

If any problems arise from those mitigating factors, he’ll dismiss them. If they arise from other issues, then he’ll address them.

I imagine…

• shiram says:

You imagine, I hope…

• Luke says:

Remember, Shiram, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Do you believe that playing Beaulieu on the right side is setting him up for success or failure?
            And to be dead honest, I’m getting fed up with Therrien always mentioning he is ” Experimenting”
            This is Game 50, and few know who they will be playing with from 1 shift to the next…of course with 2 exceptions.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think that experimenting should ever stop, Ron.
            No player is going to be 100% consistent throughout the season (except Plekanec), so you have to constantly be trying things out to see how you can maximise the output of the players who are working well, and motivating the ones who aren’t.

Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results is far worse, in my books!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Matty, does your significant other agree with this never stop experimenting theme? :)

Kind of.
            I’ve experimented sleeping on the sofa a few times recently, for instance…

• Maritime Ronn says:

great comebacks
            :-)

• Habsrule1 says:

Would anything EVER make Therrien right?

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

What do you mean by Therrien defenders?
      I’ve heard him criticised many times on RDS.

Is it just because they don’t hate him as much as you do?

67. Captain aHab says:

Weird to sit a healthy Emelin after saying he would play on his natural side. Trade in the works?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

68. krob1000 says:

I would be absolutley shocked if the HAbs do not move a damn or even two byt eh deadline the way things are going.

69. mushalain says:

Im curious to see how these 2 perform at the Olympics.

70. Say Ash says:

Fear not – Drewiske’s back soon.

71. Grimmly says:

Frankie the Turd over anyone makes no sense at all

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Why would you call him that?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Grimmly says:

Why? Because he has been as useful as a piece of Turd because he is no longer the Bull, he brings NOTHING at all to this team at all. The fact that MT still uses the failed experiment of FB on the PP shows the dumb faith this coach still has in this waste of a roster spot

Frankie’s great.
          Tons of heart, good understanding of hockey.
          You should take a page from his book!
          :D

• D Mex says:

Cube’s got courage – don’t forget that one.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed Matty. Cube has got a big heart and is class all the way. But I think he is done. Too bad. I really like the guy.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, it’s his swan-song for sure.
            He’s awesome.
            As I’ve mentioned before, the arena on my street is named after him because he played there when he was a kid – it’s a pretty rough and economically-challenged area, and for him to pump money into that place is amazing.

• D Mex says:

It’s called anonymity …

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Maritime Ronn says:

Why blame Frankie?
      He was offered a contract of $1.5M and signed it.
      He goes on the ice and play when told.
      It’s not him who asks to sit in the hot dog section

72. Habsrule1 says:

I hope this works for Emelin. We need him to pick up his game. I think he’s a big part of the Habs’ future.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I really hope this works, too. For Boucher.

• The Jackal says:

Then you’ll say you hope it works too. For Bob Hartley, or any other coach that is not coaching the Habs.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• shiram says:

I hope so for Bergevin too.
      Just signed the guy and he’s been healthy scratched twice already.
      Same with Brière.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but I don’t think that’s Bergevin’s fault; everyone was on board with re-signing Emelin, considering how well he played for us.

He hasn’t been the same since his injury, and whether it’s because of the system he’s being asked to play influencing his psyche, or some physical glitch that is throwing him off his game, he hasn’t been the same player he was last season.

I don’t think anybody could have seen that coming.

• shiram says:

Could have waited to sign him then, if there is uncertainty towards his rehab, doctors and coach should have picked up on it before even discussing the new contract.
          Anyways, I hope he does pick it up, we have a lot riding on that player.
          But if he does not, it will indeed look very bad for Bergevin.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Emelin will be fine…next year
      Remember how Markov struggled last year after he came back?

73. shiram says:

I don’t even know anymore!!