Eller to play centre

Rookie Lars Eller will play centre on the fourth line against the Ottawa Senators tonight as Jacques Martin made a lineup change. Eller, who has been a centre most of his career, will be between Travis Moen and Mathieu Darche. Dustin Boyd will be the healthy scratch along with defeneman Ryan O’Byrne.

Eller said yesterday that he feels more involved when he’s at centre and Martin is hoping the move will produce some offence. Eller, who was acquired from St. Louis in the trade which sent Jaroslav Halak to St. Louis, is still looking for his first point as a Canadien.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

To hell with Kovalev and his wasted talent.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. samTHEman says:

Trade Spatch or Hammer for Kovy. Kovy – G – G or put Kovy with Eller….wow that would be interesting!

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Well based on Halak’s 5 games played this season I commend you for your thoughtful analysis, here’s a game I think you might enjoy.

Goalie market was bad, free agency proved it and so far Brent Johnson of PIT has more wins and a better GAA than Halak does. Stephane Robidas has the league lead in +/-, Patrick Sharp is tied for 2nd in the league for goals. I’m sure none of this will change by the end of the year either. Oh and remember when Michael Del Zotto was the clear-cut winner of the Calder Trophy to open last season and Kopitar was going to win Art Ross? Not everything gets sorted out in less than 10 games in.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. TornApart says:

Why hello, Mr. Repetitive.

5. samTHEman says:

Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Cammalleri

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Lapierre – Eller – Boyd

Moen – Halpern – Pyatt

What do you think of these lines? I still believe in Pouliot. Once he notches one in his confidence will go up. Gio is playing better, and Gomez will come around.

Eller at his natural center position with the 2 most offensive bottom 6 forwards. Speedy checking line that can score sometimes.

6. rocketsglare says:

The Count has now become The Clown. LOL.

7. ManApart says:

Hmmm. Halak for Eller. One guy leading the Blues (great game last night), the other leading the 4th line (0 points). Great trade by our genius leader Gauthier. Or is it one of the worst in history. I know where I’m leaning. Molson, seriously, can you please dump the clowns in management once and for all.

8. habs001 says:

with 7 nhl games experience eller is the saviour…lets be real we are a team that will needs its next group of prospects to produce…we have not produced one forward who now is 22-23 years old and has any scoring ability…. we finished 23rd in goals for last year and we will be in the same range this year…we have to win with pp goals and way above average goaltending…way too many forwards on the team that have no goal scoring abilities thru talent but get most of their goals thru sheer effort or bad goaltending or fluke goals but those are limited at best 1/10 games

9. Mr. Biter says:

Closing up the cabin for the winter, then sitting back having a cigar (no wife or kids out) some fine Appleton rum and watching the Habs crush Ottawa. Nice way to end the summer/fall of 2010. BTW if we don’t sign MAB for the PP at the n.h.l. min. salary who else could we get at a decent price to do the job?

10. spos080808 says:

It seems like Martin is the only person who does not want to give Eller this chance…

The only reason Martin is wary of this has to be because he feels Eller will be a big defensive liability if he is out there for 17 minutes…

But even so, G&G are very solid defensively which will help clean up any mistakes, and playing on the wing would limit the mistakes Eller could make…

The potential to have a 2nd line clicking far outweighs the chances of the trio either having no chemistry or Eller struggling in the nuetral/Dzones.

11. HabsFanInTampa says:

or a court jester

12. rocketsglare says:

You would think that at one time in JM’s life he was once a circus performer by the way he likes to

juggle so much his lines.

13. homerbowen says:

Move Gomez down and move Eller up at center…how else will we know if he can score cause we sure know Gomez can’t.

14. kempie says:

When is Eller going to get his chance to play with G & G? Am I missing something here?

15. kempie says:

“I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle”.

Mike, I predict you’re gonna lose. And I’m shocked and ecstatic that I said that.

16. StevieRay says:

Present and accounted for !

17. saskhabfan says:

Well,we will just be saving this one to be used at a later date. You just make is so easy.

18. Storm Man says:

It is very nice. Thanks for asking :)

19. observer says:

jm and pg are not great at their jobs BUT both are skilled survivors and have outlasted most who coached or managed in the nhl YET NEVER accomplished anything to brag about except longevity.

20. ManApart says:

I’m aware it’s only game 7. I’m commenting 0n things thus far.  It could look better by the end of the year. But for my money I think it was a lousy deal last summer, today and I’m sure it will look that way next summer and beyond.You don’t have to be a genius to make that deduction.

21. observer says:

looks like same ol’, same ol’ around .500 mediocre team as before?

22. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Whew, we’re still okay then.

Up on my high horse, the view is interesting. It appears the organization has stabilized and that the team, while not great, is good. I think as fans, we are getting over the bitterness of the awful teams of a few years ago. We may soon be able to get excited about positives.

I say that as a guy begrudgingly convinced of Price’s usefulness in nets (he’s winning me back, sort of, maybe, I hope) and a firm believer that Gomez’s contract (not Gomez) keeps the Habs short of being an elite team. The view isn’t perfect, but it’s not that long since half this team was AHLers and we had plenty of reason for bitterness. This team isn’t bad, and it’s also pretty damned interesting to watch.

23. Mikey_39 says:

I never said that Vancouver would take spacek.  Actually I said that nobody would.

This isn’t the only season that Bergeron hasn’t been offered a contract.  If you remember correctly, he was in the same situation last year too.  And did you seriously say Bergeron and Lindstrom in the same sentence?

Also, what 2 year contract, as I said many times he is a UFA, you’re not stuck with anything.

Not only is Bieksa capable of playing on the pp, but he can only put up 40+ points.  And he’s a physical defenseman which we DESPERATELY need

24. 25 cups says:

I read this like 5 times now and I’ve laughed every time… well played.

25. sholi2000.com says:

It’s not a secret who some staff cheer for, and if you don’t know just watch an episode of Mitch Melnick Underground. (Last episode I believe from 2010)  :)  (smiley face, no worries)

We all have our favorites, its just that my favourite wasn’t traded ;)  (winky face, just joking)

They Call Me Shane