Eller to play centre

Rookie Lars Eller will play centre on the fourth line against the Ottawa Senators tonight as Jacques Martin made a lineup change. Eller, who has been a centre most of his career, will be between Travis Moen and Mathieu Darche. Dustin Boyd will be the healthy scratch along with defeneman Ryan O’Byrne.

Eller said yesterday that he feels more involved when he’s at centre and Martin is hoping the move will produce some offence. Eller, who was acquired from St. Louis in the trade which sent Jaroslav Halak to St. Louis, is still looking for his first point as a Canadien.

1. punkster says:

This team will go NOWHERE until they apply the NAG YOUTH movement. NOTHING substitutes for NAG as we’ve seen so many times. It’s time to bring up the BIG GUYS like Nash, Henry and Conboy. NAG is the ONLY SOLUTION.

2. obrien says:

Gomez is in a fog this season.  He always has very poor starts.  It would have been interesting to see Eller instead of Gomez as a center of the 2nd line, but at the same time it’s still early in the season.  JM might consider this if the suckiness continues.

3-2-1 without Markov.  > .500 without Markov is a miracle.

3. adam76 says:

what is the weather like, up on your high horse?

4. punkster says:

Good call there Pete. I believe we’ll all be a little more impressed as this season trudges on as well.

“The Gomez bashers have lost interest”

I’m still here:-)

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t think so, would’ve contained remarks about his VYNAGRA movement or somesuch.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, my ability to swap Paul Mara and a 2nd for Anton Volchenkov in NHL 2010 was a completely accurate trade scenario in NHL 10 I’ll have you know!

Perspective is always handy.

Habs-Professor?

Always kept a list of every guy in the organization who had a hint of size and grit.

9. punkster says:

Haha. I think I spotted one of mine in there. Seriously though the comments are interesting. A few could be applied to games so far this season, a few were pretty close to accurate for the team last yearand some were just rants and frustration showing through. I’m sure you could do the same next year at this time. Of course we’re all so much better at evaluating pro hockey teams this time around, aren’t we ;)

10. CharlieHodgeFan says:

So the HIO forum posters have begun to show intelligent respect for Jacques Martin. And they seem to have learned to live with Carey Price. The Gomez bashers have lost interest, and Brisebois has gone off to drive expensive cabs. MAB’s unsigned and injured, Latendresse has gone wild and Sergei’s down south, bloating. So what can we all do? Who are we supposed to crap on?

The other team? Nah…

11. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think the guy who posted that comment even hangs around here anymore, or some of the others I quoted.

12. joeybarrie says:

JM sucks. Wont put Gomez on the 4th line.

Gomez sucks, can’t score. (neither can Sedin, Gagne, Grabovski, etc) wait Gomez has more goals than them.

There is no depth in this team

Eller sucks, 0 points in 6 games. Pleks had 0 points in his first 5 Habs game, but we really should be panicking.

JM sucks cause Eller is a better Center than Gomez and Pleks, and he wont play him.

Price sucks, cause he is not Halak, even though they have the same number of wins.

GUYS its only game 7, We are in 7th place, and we are missing our best player still. What going on? Are we just freaking crazy??? Eller has little experience and he is 21. Do you really see him kicking a guy with 2 Stanley Cup rings out of his position? Are you eating retard sandwiches again??? Relax. There’s a game tonight, it’s Saturday night and we are gonna see some fighting. Toronto is going to get it’s A** handed to them by Philly, Hopefully Buffalo will meet the same Devils we did and NYR will end Bostons great start to the season… We beat Ottawa and then we will be first in our division… But of course we will still suck according to the ones who accuse ME of having Rose coloured glasses on… And I guess that trip to the Conf Finals was a dream I had before JM was fired huh?????  Honestly get a grip on reality.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. SeriousFan09 says:

To crank out the Time Machine, some comments following Game 6 of last season and some from Game 7, no names though.

——–

“Chemistry, crap!  They (not we) have to find some goal scorers that can
    score in a Habs uniform.  I really believe that if the Canadiens had
    gotten Gretzky in his prime, they could have turned him into a 20 goal
    scorer.  “If the habs jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first..”  Yeah,
    and if they had Alexander Ovechkin & Sidney Crosby, they’d be a lot
    better too.  If, If, If.  You’ve got to be kidding.”

“I wish that Gainey was still in Dallas! Carbo was not the problem last year.”

“Martin has to stop this Carbo juggling and let players develop some
    chemistry.  Cams, Gianta and Gomez shoild play together for 60 mins.
     Pleks and AK46 need someone who can play at their level.  SK74 should
    be brought back to the second line.”

“I would say chalk up today’s loss with not being a very good team. At least a team with no depth, and no youthful contributions.”

“we’re not nhl ready and price cannot make key saves. it’s going to be a long season”

“BETTER HAVING KOVALEV FOR 2 YEARS THAN OUR 3 FORWARDS FOR 5….GET READY
    TO SEE SOME UGLY HOCKEY BOYS…..Kovalev haters…hmmm…….Gionta and
    Camm really did play well the are SOO MUCH MORE CONSISTENT THAN KOVALEV”

“Well. That was…informative. Think it’s safe to say that we just don’t
    got what it takes to compete. We work hard, sure. But we don’t have the
    guys. We’re the proverbial one-legged man in an ass-kickin contest.

I am very curious to see what Bob plans to do now, for I fear the divide is wider than what Bergie can possibly breach.

We need more men, sir!”

“Ottawa out-played us. They have more skilled players. Our PP sucks.”

“I think I am going to be doing a lot of skiing this winter and not much hockey watching.”

“Is it too early to say that the EXPERIMENT is a failure?”

“I’d take this years coaching staff, but last year’s team.  In a heartbeat. “

————————

Yeah, we really knew what was going on last year didn’t we?

14. newbrunswick troy says:

Ah the old fourth line scoring technique….when you put together a fourth line thats geared for scoring,,,in the opositions rink,,,,it makes it hard to coach against….if the sens have to start checking against the “checkers” it will soon leave an opening for Captain Gio and Gomez and ” ? ”  well one of the four players that will be in and out of that kine tonight!!!!~

15. Chris F says:

Interesting, I would love to see Eller between Gionta and Ryan White. Eller can set up Gionta, and Eller and White can dig it out of the corner. The habs need some energy and I can’t imagine Eller, Gionta, and White not having energy, and who knows, they might score some goals. All three are not scared to go to the net. That’s what Gionta needs, someone on his line that can create space for him in the slot. Gomez doesn’t do this and certainly Pouliot doesn’t create space in front either. Too much perimeter, add that to Gionta’s size and it makes for a line that is too small.

Just saying. It would be interesting to see. Drop Gomez to the third line playing center, I believe we are only a year away from this happening anyway. Unless Gomez totally turns things around and becomes a point per game guy like Plekanacs. And hey, I like Gomez, except he is not going to the dirty areas with the puck, I think Eller and White will.

Go Habs Go! Don’t let that troll Alfie fire from the hash marks on Price’s glove side.

16. mike g says:

Guy Boucher…

There’s the guy who got more praise around the NHL this year, than Bill Gates has ever gotten in his life.

The man didn’t even coach a game in the NHL and he was the best of all-time.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. mike g says:

Thanks man…

I didn’t know about the Boone story.

But it’s not about mentioning his name in passing, it’s about coming on HIO every single day and either seeing his name all over the comments section, or often enough in the story on top.

Like I said, I have no problem talking about the guy. But mentioning him in an irrelevant manner is throwing fuel in the fire.

Notice that Hickey mentions that Eller is playing 4th line and that he’s still without a single point, in the same sentence as he mentions the Jaroslav Halak trade for Eller.

How on earth is someone not gonna over-boil about the trade when they read that, not having any sense to realize that Eller is still a prospect?

It ain’t gonna happen, people will just bash the Habs even more when the story is told the way it was above.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

18. Bugs says:

Uh, the messenger suggested we get Bieksa, Mike. Yeah, I’m shootin the messenger.

Cuz O’B not livin up to Jack Marty’s expectations doesn’t mean we should chuck Picard (or Weber, or whoever’s behind’m) under the bus to make way for an “offensively-minded” player who scores 3 goals a year at 3.75mil. We got one like that already.

And the reason Bergie’s sittin by the phone ain’t because he’s “brutal” on D (cuz he ain’t; he’s just not as good as Lidstrom and so therefore, he sucks); it’s because he’s INJURED. Once the injury is healed (which I hear is any day now, if not already), I reckon he won’t be sitting by the phone for long. Because NO TEAM will begrudge a defenseman some lapses if he ROCKETS 15 goals in a year on the PP. The man is a specialist. In a special-teams league. Once he’s healed, his phone’ll ring, you can bet on it.

Switch a 3-yr 3.75 mil non-producing contract for a 2-yr non-producing contract, that’s fine (good luck dealin with Couver on that); just don’t try to sell the merits of a player who brings NOTHING to our team we don’t have already, nor that we could IMPROVE on with a 750k phone call.

If he’s your cousin or something, then my respects and all, but we got bath-plugs already. All I’m sayin.

Decadently yours, I recline as

19. ooder says:

yup.. i got your back as well.

obviosuly in an 82 game season there are highs and lows, but overall what i am seeing from the habs i haven’t seen in a while.. a team game

——————

88 is the new 23

20. habrez says:

The thing that also drives me insane is we had rookie coach after rookie coach (Mario, Therrien, Vigneault, Julien, Carbo) and after the 09 season every begged for an experience guy. Guess what? The last time we hired an experienced coach his name was Demers and we won a Cup. Being limited to french canadians our options were Hartley, Martin and Crawford. I think we got the best out of the three.

21. habsfansince91 says:

spot on

22. Mattyleg says:

Hey Mike,

Not sure if you mentioned it last time or not, but someone made a similar point the other day about a story about The Former Habs Goalie Who Shall Not Be Named (FHGWSNBN) and Boone took note, apologised, and took down the story.

I agree with you about posting stories etc. about the FHGWSNBN, but mentioning his name in passing is not a cardinal sin in my book, and the HI/O are not oblivious to the sensitivity of the issue.

I get your irritation, tho.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. habrez says:

You don’t win 559 games in the NHL by being a bad a coach.

24. ZepFan2 says:

No probs.

I just started reading and noticed his name…a lot.

Btw, where did we get Eller from? ;)

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

25. Bugs says:

Hear, hear.

Got your back on this one, mate.

Decadently yours, I recline as

Eller and Pouliot aren’t the only guys who haven’t scored yet.

Glad to see that Kovy made the list.  Could you imagine if he had accepted G&G’s offer on July 1st?  Gionta is strictly a 2nd line winger but he usually shows up most nights.

“Alex Kovalev, RW, Ottawa – My biggest red flag on Kovalev’s decline last year was that he managed only 2.14 shots on goal per game, his lowest mark since 1993-1994, his second year in the league.  So far this year, he’s averaging 1.83 per game, while playing just 15:17 per game. Now he’s getting called out by his GM and skating with the fourth line in practice so, without a dramatic turnaround, the end may be near.”  (written by Scott Cullen)

27. smiler2729 says:

I know it’s fun as an armchair GM/coach to spout off about players but why the hate for Matt Darche (and Jacques Martin)? I like Darche, hell, I like all the players and the only ones worth truly bitching about as fans are the highly skilled ones that disappoint on a regular basis (AK46) but even they get their due.

JM coached this team to a sniff of the Finals last season, yeah, Halak was AWESOME, Cammy was AMAZING, Gionta, Moore, Gill, Gorges, Subban, etc… were all exciting last spring but Martin was the coach and this guy never gets his due for anything cuz he’s perceived as defensive, dull and a perennial also-ran. Man, the guy is a GREAT coach, ’nuff said.

28. mike g says:

Thanks for taking the time to read my post in detail….

LOL

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. habrez says:

Great post! I couldn’t agree more.

I was really annoyed a few hours ago when I logged in and saw maybe 20 comments about how great Guy Boucher and the Tampa Bay Lightning are (and also how dumb JM is). I really like when people talk about other NHL teams or players or coaches especially when we are about to play that team but please enough about ex-habs. I’m not bitter, just sick of it.

I can’t imagine what this website would have looked like following ‘the trade’.

30. mike g says:

1st of all, congrats on being a journalist. Great job…

Now back to the main topic. Someone who comes to this site will in fact know that Eller came in the Halak deal. For heaven’s sake we were chanting this guys name during the playoffs, bowing down to him like he was a savior, writing his name on stop signs, etc…

According to many, over 5,000 people lined up to go get his autograph when he returned here this summer to say goodbye to the fans. Jaro Halak was the most talked about subject in all of sports in this city, whether it be in newspapers/internet/tv or radio, sports in Montreal was DOMINATED by Jaro Halak talk.

So trust me when I say that very close to 100% of the people interested in the position that Eller will be playing tonight, do in fact know that he came from St-Louis.

Once again, I may be going overboard, but it’s driving me nuts….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, I get your point and I’m sick of Halak being brought up all the time still, but the facts are the facts and THE FACT is Jaro Halak, due to his playoff heroics last year, is worth mentioning just as an attention getter to the story.

32. zozotheclown says:

If you hurry you might have a chance lol, but you’ll probably have to enjoy some old time radio

33. No et al says:

Being a journalist for more than 20 years myself, I can honestly say that if I had written the story, I would have included the exact same information… it’s standard journalism and I’m sure none of the writers on here are trying to bring up the Halak trade by mentioning it. It’s just a fact and while the fans on this site are all very well aware of where Eller came from, the story just isn’t complete without stating that fact.

I’m sure there was no intention to bait trolls (even if that may be what happens). You have to realize that some who come to this site may not be aware of how Eller was acquired.

34. Wayne says:

“”Eller/Moen/Darche? Martin is hoping the move will produce some offence.”” — for obvious reasons, that statement doesn’t make sense.

35. mike g says:

It’s really beyond sad…

When we report about Pouliot being shipped from the 1st line, to the 3rd line, back to the 1st line, then down to the 2nd line, and finally playing 3 minutes on the 4th line, do the reporters ever mention that this is the guy we got for Latendresse?

NOOOO.

Why?, because that trade was so talked about that we know Benny came from Minny for Poutine-Latendresse.

We don’t have to mention it again, PEOPLE KNOW.

It’s like the Habs winning tonight, and a columnist writes: “Carey Price, the player drafted #5 overall in 2005 instead of players a,b,c and d, got the win tonight.”

Useless and not needed.

And IMO, the constant mentioning of Jaro is done on purpose just to add fuel to the fire.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

36. habs03 says:

Right on guys, wtv they do it to start up debates, hence more hits, etc, I guess in that sense its good business, but bad journalism imo.

37. samTHEman says:

lol good post man but if i had to bet i would say they probably won’t read this. Either way, it’s journalism. They will write what is most dramatic and controversial even if it annoys teh living fook out of some readers. I’m getting tired of the references to 41 too but again i don’t expect it to stop…not for another 2 years AT MININUM…sad lol. some people just can’t let go…just can’t let go. Call Mommy to hold you?

38. SeriousFan09 says:

We’re in the players having scoring and goaltending stats that will not resemble actual league standings at the end of the NHL period.  A mouthful I know but I’m pretty sure Tomas Kopecky won’t be tied for 4th overall in assists andCorey Schneider’s GAA won’t stay under 1 for the season.

39. ZepFan2 says:

lmao

You mentioned his name 13 times.

————————————————————————–

40. Mikey_39 says:

Bugs don’t kill the messenger here…I’m not the one that’s given up on O’byrne.  I would actually love to give a fair chance with Markov.  Let him make mistakes and learn.  He’s big, strong, and is more offensive than komisarek was.  It could be a great defence combination.  But what, in the two years of JM, has given you the impression that Obyrne will ever get a fair chance to play?

Picard was signed as a 7th defenseman….there’s nothing more to that.

I would much rather call up Yannick Webber than sign Bergeron.  There’s a reason he’s sitting by the phone…that’s because 29 other NHL teams don’t want him either.  He’s got a great shot, but is just BRUTAL in every other aspect.

If Spacek looks this tired and used up this early in the season, how’s he going to look when we’re trying to make the playoffs in a couple of months?

Bieksa is a good option, because even if he doesn’t work out, he’s a UFA at the end of the season.  It’s obvious we need to add a top 3 defensman, and this is a reasonable option

41. 25 cups says:

if you have a PVR the odds are pretty good, otherwise the math just doesn’t work for you.

Fire the system! – TheMostCupsPeriod

42. Bugs says:

Acclimating Lars Eller into the Montreal Canadiens is EXACTLY like what your 7-yr-old goes through.

“Hey, Tomas, we need to put Lars at centre in ‘offensive situations’ so you’re gonna play on the 3rd line tonight.”

No? Oh, ok. How ’bout this then:

“Hey, Scottie, we need to put Lars at centre in ‘offensive situations’ so you’re gonna play on the 4th line tonight.”

That better? Hey, if it works for 7-yr-olds in the bubble-gum league, it should work in the NHL too, right? I mean, it’s exactly the same after all.

Decadently yours, I recline as

Right, i forgot. We are in the gelling period. My mistake.

44. mike g says:

Listen up Pat Hickey and all of the HIO staff….

I’m not in a bad mood or anything, I was actually having a great day up until I logged into the site. Why?, because something is grinding my gears way too much now.

HIO is a fantastic community filled with thousands of different opinions and ideas. Being able to share that with Habs fans across the globe is a great privilege, if you ask me. And also being able to argue with some people about line combinations is fun too. We all need to vent once in a while, and doing it on this site is great because it leaves the wife and/or girlfriend out of it.

But here’s my main problem with you guys: When the heck are you guys going to stop mentioning JAROSLAV HALAK in your blog’s like you did once again today?

- Here’s what you said: “Eller, who was acquired from St. Louis in the trade which sent Jaroslav Halak to St. Louis, is still looking for his first point as a Canadien.”

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are You guys telling me we have no idea where this Lars Eller fella came from? Really, was that really necessary? Please explain to me why you guys still feel the need to bring up Halak’s name, when he’s not even on this team anymore. You could have easily said, “Lars Eller will finally play his natural position tonight, when he centers the Habs’ 4th line against the Senators.”

No need to mention Halak there, none whatsoever. Instead, we must constantly see Halak’s name written everywhere on this site because people are constantly reading the guys name. Then, troll’s come on this site and become influenced by all the Halakian journalism they read here. I have no problem with reporting about the other 29 NHL teams. I follow the whole league, not only the Habs. But way too often are we being thrown stories about Halak’s pre-season performances, or a good game here and there, etc…And then I come on today, only to see Jaro’s name mentionned once again in a totally irrelevant and unnecessary manner.

Halak is gone, and we all wish him the best. But Carey Price is our guy now. We don’t need to see Halak’s name written here almost every day just to remind us that he won 2 rounds for us last year. We all know what happened, and were all aware of who the guy is and where he’s playing. And all this is happening when Carey Price is playing extremely well. Immagine if Price had started off poorly and Eller too, and Jaro would be 4-0. Would you guys mention Jaro’s name here even more, just to remind us once again that he’s playing in St-Louis this year?

So next time you guys mention Lars Eller, or Ian Shultz in the future, please don’t feel the need to mention you know who’s name again. It was one of the biggest trades in the past decade for Habs fans, if not the biggest. I think all of us are aware that Eller and Shultz came to MTL in exchange for Jaro.

Thank you to the HIO staff for reading, if you guys even did.

And I hope this can help for future reference, because I know I’m not the only one wishing we limit the use of You Know Who’s name around here.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. HABZ24 says:

ya why not put eller at center. i guess they have to give eller every chance because if eller turns to be a washout then looks like we got bupkiss for halak.the kids supposed to have potential. glad to see oburnt being  sat out, big useless guy him, cant skate worth a bag of donuts and  doesnt want to play physical with his size.

46. Mikey_39 says:

Ya, I really don’t see anyone taking spacek.  The best option would be a buy-out if we managed to acquire a better defenseman. I definitely wouldn’t pass on him.  He’s a 40 point guy, he’s big and tough and right handed.  I would definitely consider putting a strong offer on the table for him, especially if there is a chance that we could sign him after.  Markov-Subban-Bieksa-Gorges as a top 4 going into the future is an interesting thought

47. Bugs says:

Oh, so Spacek doesn’t play anymore, that it?

And we’ve officially thrown in the towel with O’B then? No more O’B?

And Picard, screw that signing? Send him home?

And forget about Bergie, who makes 3 mil less and produces more, just waitin for us to call?

For “offensive-minded” Bieksa who scored 10 goals 3 years ago and 10 goals 5 years ago and jack-all in-between and after?

No, thank you. We got all the door-stops we need as is.

Decadently yours, I recline as

48. bwoar says:

If Gillis took an idiot pill and traded us Bieksa for Spacek, awesome.  But

1) that won’t happen

2) They need Bieksa due to injuries

3) He’s not good enough at his salary

4) pass!

49. Mothstoflame says:

Scratch boyd for darche… ?  fire martin please,  i am still amazed darche is on this team

50. SeriousFan09 says:

We’ll see what happens in 4 hours I guess.

51. LA Loyalist says:

I just don’t understand how sending him out to check tells us anything or teaches him much.

It seems to make more sense to spot him in offensive situations where there’s not much risk – say we have a big lead late in a game (ok, maybe that’s not going to happen).

I guess my point is I’m prepared to suffer with talent making errors in the short term – like with PK, for eg, if we are confident the talent is there.

Also if our big guns aren’t scoring anyway… we’ll see. I could be wrong. I was wrong (so far) about Price.

I was 80% convinced he was a freaking head case and would not find his way out of the woods. And I’m happy I was wrong :) Now I’m only 20% worried about him – his body language is much better and experience will do the rest.

52. rocketsglare says:

No surprise that Halak is doing well in St. Louis; that was a given. Eller, however has not been given IMO

the opportunity to demonstrate his trade value by being placed on either top lines but, instead has been

relegated to grinding lines not exactly suited to his skill and talent. Has he been misused, I would say so.

Give Eller some quality top line duty and see how he performs, then we will know whether he is ready or

not for prime time. But I don’t see the comparison of value or result as you may be suggesting.

53. aemarchand11 says:

Like.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Brent Johnson currently 4-0-0 with a .950 save % and a 1.49 GAA, we should’ve totally traded for that guy in the off-season.

Amazing what people think they know about the future NHL season when their team hasn’t even played 10 games.

55. ooder says:

holy crap.. i meant to write “DOESN’T FINISH…” my bad man my bad

——————

88 is the new 23

56. Mikey_39 says:

What would you guys say about Bieksa to the Habs? Would you want him? Who would you trade for him? Keep in mind that he has a 3.75 mil salary and is UFA at the end of this year.  So if we took a chance on him and it didn’t work, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.  I would definitely be interested.  I think we have some pretty good defense-men but we are missing a top 3 dman.  He’s also a right handed shot.

Markov-Subban

Hammer-Bieksa (Bieksa is more offensive minded and would benefit with a defensive dman)

Gorges-Gill

57. 21BIGGionta says:

GOOD!.

Question: I live in the west island

I have a hockey game in 3 rivers at 6:15 (it’s an hour and ahalf)
    what are the odds ill be able to catch at least  a minute of hockey on tv?!?!

Eller centering the 4th line – that outta get gomez and gionta going.

59. TripleX says:

Funny, the rose coloured glasses crew was saying all summer how much PG had IMPROVED our team, especially the bottom six.  Too much revisionist history on HIO.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

60. LA Loyalist says:

I’ll post a report after the game :)

… makes this Halak trade even so much better now.

62. TripleX says:

I like those lines because they are logical and make good hockey sense.  Each line configuration allows the players to play to their particular skill sets.  Of course that means it will never happen in JM’s world where maximizing potential is not part of his playbook.  All JM cares about is prevent defense.  Does he realize you have to score at least ONE to win a game?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

63. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I have nothing bad to say personally about Hamrlik or Gomez.  Both seem to be nice guy’s who try to do their best, but that being said, from the business side of things I will be elated to see their contracts off the books.

64. ooder says:

i hope your kid finish the game with 2 pims and -2 rating.. he might be scratched the next ;)

——————

88 is the new 23

65. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve yet to read anything on here that would indicate the general consensus is people are overly pleased with Eller back at the 4th line there Loyalist, in fact everyone seems to flipping out over the Darche rather than Boyd and Eller being wasted on the 4th line.

Eller is still adapting to the NHL and Martin wants him getting used to center without too much pressure, maybe not the best move but ATM it’s what he’s doing and let’s wait to see a game with him playing there before calling him a dunce who’s out of touch.

66. LA Loyalist says:

Well Martin and Gauthier are geniuses.

We trade a great goalie for a big center, then don’t use him at center.

When we do use him at center, it’s on the 4th freaking line and it’s treated by the commentariat like Einstein discovering Insulin.

He needs to play center in offensive situations – yes he will make mistakes – to learn and so we can see if he’s developing.

It’s like studying piano and then being told, oh crap, it’s a harpsichord recital. Sorry about that.

Duh.

By the way – my kid, who is 7, plays center. He has a game this afternoon. Guess what I’m telling him on the way to the rink? (Besides pee before you get all your gear on.)

1. Fight for the puck

2. Go to the net — good things will happen.

Fly me in to town business class and I’ll be happy to tell Habs offense the same thing.

out.

“to failing hands we’ve tossed the torch”

67. habs001 says:

way too early to comment on eller…eller is not the problem…the problem is that pyatt,moen,lapps,darche,pouliot,halpern,boyd may not score more than 6-8 goals all year…..as long as we win more 2-1 and 3-2 games than not we are in the playoffs…in the playoff anything can happen…we can loose or win a playoff series vs any of the other 29 teams…in the regular season no matter who we play there will be only a few blow outs one way or the other…

68. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe Scotty Bowman would have had the balls to do that – put Gomez on the 4th line to shake him up and put Eller on the first line. God that would be funny.

It’s one of the problems of having had a bad pipeline – there’s no pressure on the vets.

69. samTHEman says:

lol true. good news is hamrlik is peacing.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

And that’s a double.

71. SeriousFan09 says:

Yet he never did in Montreal and he’s got two seasons in 17 years over 80 points, the most blatant example in the NHL of wasted talent, ever.

72. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya, let’s add more over-paid,  under-performing aged NHL vets to our squad.  Sounds like a great plan.

73. samTHEman says:

Montreal’s love will kill his ego and unleash his talent. Hell, he could score 3 goals a game if he really wanted to

74. Ron in Ottawa says:

Why are you surprised? Look at the coach and all will be revealed. In Ottawa, JM had real problems playing the young guys like Spezza. if one of the vets made a mistake- so what- but if Spezza or one of the call-ups from the AHL made a mistake- healthy scratch.

so now before BG left he rebuilt this team with smallish speedsters. And then he went and hired a defensive coach whose idea of a blow-out is a 2-1 game. Until we get rid of JM and the Ghost, this team is doomed to be mediocre.

75. LA Loyalist says:

he was -6 and took stupid offensive zone penalties.

He couldn’t find the net with a GPS system.

do all the math, not just some of the math.

“Oh he’s  a passer – not a scorer” say the commentariat — that’s like an NFL receiver who catches the ball runs 40 yards looking like Thomlinson and then fumbles.

Not to mix metaphors.

76. spos080808 says:

Was he usless in the playoffs? I mean he only scored 2 goals..So by your standards he was useless right?

77. obrien says:

Is it me or Boyd has been invisible lately?  To me, the title should be “Boyd in the pressbox”, because as long as Eller is not on the Top 2 lines, it’s status quo.

78. vic says:

Oburne was finished the day they hired JM.He has to change his name.

I wish someone would have b…. to ask why he is not being used.Last year it was Bergeron no matter how many times he fell on his ass the year Picard.

79. CharlieHodgeFan says:

O’Byrne is a big strong kid with a case of chronic nerves and not much hockey smarts – it makes for a scary and easily benched combination. He might be a passable sixth D in Atlanta or Phoenix or somewhere where no one cares and mistakes don’t matter, but in a fan base with knowledgeable fans, he’s challenged. He should be in the AHL for his own good.

80. observer says:

NFL plays Super Bowl in a 31 of 32 chance neutral city and it is very popular that way though in the past the championship used to be played in the city whose team had the best regular season record that year. Bettman could have the final series played in say Las Vegas? Would be very popular with him?

81. 25 cups says:

The problem (as I see it) with the G-G-? line thus far has been the passing. they can’t move the puck cleanly to each other and that has been slowing them down, and it’s not just ?, both G’s have had difficulty with passing so far.

Fire the system! – TheMostCupsPeriod

82. observer says:

biggest problem so far is habs are NOT playing with the intensity that got them through last years playoffs as far as they wrnt. thursday night was an absolute disgrace of a no show! hamrlick is the worst as he goes thru the motions reluctantly so as to keep collecting his salary. a big one to boot.

83. Danno says:

To put things into perspective, we are four points out of first place overall in the league with a game in hand.

Yes the loss against the Devils was ugly, but the sky is not falling.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

84. habs youngtimer says:

I’m sure putting Eller on the 4th line will produce massive scoring. after all, 4th liners are just so immensely talented.

85. Storm Man says:

Lord Martin the man is a genius best Canadiens coach in 20 years.

86. lavie says:

JM tried Moen and Pyatt between G and G, why not Eller?

87. SeriousFan09 says:

But surely the true genius behind the bench Kirk Muller will make everything right… except he’s managing a PP unit that’s produced 1 goal in 6 games.

88. Storm Man says:

I have never in my life seen a assistant coach draw up the team’s game plan. His lordship give’s the blueprint and you follow it or look for another job.

89. SeriousFan09 says:

But I thought Muller was the true genius coming up with all the strategies for the playoffs and the team’s uber-successful PP and Martin was just switching lines… I guess the Commentariat lied to me.

Muller gets credited with our PP success for years than the second it’s sucking, blame Jacques Martin, got it.

90. Mitch.sc says:

IS MARTIN RETARDED?

Why do players on this team have to prove themselves by supporting an entire line?

eller is not a fourth liner. putting him on the 3rd with pouliot and lappiere makes a lot more sense thank putting him with two pluggers.

How is eller supposed to succede?

seriously.

What the f*** is he supposed to do. why does a top 6 prospect need to prove himself on the fourth line where his skillset is not ideal for that kind of play. Is marting out to destroy his confidence?

Is he such a dinosaur thsat he doesn’t understand that Pouliot has no confidence, O’byrne has no confinece, soon eller wont either. That’s what happens when you don’t give them any by punishing thwm as soon as they screw up. the way he is dealing with subban is completely opposite. is he giving him too much leash? i don’t think so but maybe. However, look at subban’s confidence, you give him opportunity to succede and correct him when he fails. CORRECT him, not Punish. there is a huge difference.

Pouliot is given 2 games to get into shape. why not try Eller on that line, what is pyatt or moen going to accomplish?

Why is Boucher so successful? The time of old men coaching is over. the one’s who are successful have adapted, there’s no more of this my way or the highway mentality,

Good managers know how to get the best out of their players but recognising their skills and putting them in positions to succede. Carbo didn’t do that, MArtin does not do that.

The number one reason business (or any team) is unsuccessful is putting the wrong people in the wrong positions.

That being said:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gio

Ak-Plecks-Cammy

Boyd/Pyatt-Eller-Lappiere

Darch/Boyd/Pyatt-Halpern-Moen

Or Cammy-Gio-Gomez (hasn’t worked previously)

Ak-Plecks-Eller

Or Eller-Gomez-Gio

Either way these all make way more sense than the using a skilled puck posesion playmaker on the fourth line with two 10 goal players.

91. Ayan_SB says:

Eller on a 4th line? Haha, look I’m a Habs fan as much as anybody else, but we’re not exactly the Flyers or the Canucks when it comes to offensive depth.

Pyatt on the 1st line reminds me when Carbo put Garth F. Murray with Koivu.

92. 25 cups says:

I can agree with that actually…  thursday was brutal, hopefully they come out with some fire tonight.   I hate it when the habs are the team that always ends everybody elses slumps…

93. 25 cups says:

94. 25 cups says:

maybe if I click the post button more times it will work faster…

95. habs365 says:

Martins moves doesn’t mean anything, tell me what move he’s made so far that looked good, for now we don’t have anyone with talent to move to the 2nd, line, and if you tell me that I’m wrong show me whom on the 3rd and 4th lines warrant a talent label, this is just my opinion I couldn’t pick one, a bunch of bangers or just great skaters, when it comes to scoring, they couldn’t put a puck in a soccer net,

96. Mitch.sc says:

Eller has talent. He just can’t do it without linemates. See: Pleckanec, Thomas circa 2007-2008

97. Bugs says:

We got Poolio. Why not leave him there? Ain’t his fault that line hasn’t produced as of yet.

He’s been the best Hab out’ve that line since the start of the season, imo, goalless though he may be so far.

Decadently yours, I recline as

98. showey47 says:

If obyrne should be in the ahl then spacek should be playing some 55 and over pickup. He has been by far the worst dman since the first pre-season game. The only difference being every time spacek screws up he doesn’t get benched. Spacek had 81 giveaways last year obyrne had 22.

99. StevieRay says:

Top 6 stuff is old news … lets try this .. ever one dig hard … get the puck ..shot the puck ..crash the net ..and I mean crash it … repeat after me ..every one dig hard..get the pick .. shot the puck ..crash the net !!……….work..work..work !…..nuff said !

I’m getting sick of our guys ..waving there sticks at the puck .. Bring up Ryan White and get rid( trade ??) of Laps .. I’m sick of his act !

lets win to nite and score some goals….. and while I’m on a roll .. Gomez get with it will you you may weigh 200 lbs but you play like you weigh 150 out there ..man up son !

Lets win to nite … this Bud’s for you !!!

100. Bugs says:

Get rid of Lappy??? One of the best spit-disturbers in the League and you wanna get RID of him?

No, sir.

I like that aggravating, penalty-incurring, smirk-wearing bastich just where he is, thank you very much.

Decadently yours, I recline as

101. samTHEman says:

Agreed. Why would you want to get rid of Laps lmao! However note that if he were on another team, we would absolutely despise his @$$. True pest

102. Jbird says:

Oh I can do without this OPP officer – and the massive flag.  drop the puck!

103. Mr. Biter says:

Thought he was the doorman from the Royal York.

104. lefreak says:

he had his best pre season time as a center this year, let’s hope this pans out.

105. Jon Hackett says:

I have to say, I don’t get this move at all. If you’re going to put him at centre why not play him with some players with at least a little bit of offensive upside? On top all that they bench one of their hardest working players. Martin is really all over the place.

106. scrowe21 says:

Yeah he should be centering Lapierre and Pouliot.. hopefully they try that soon.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

107. Chuck says:

I see it as a good way to get his feet wet without putting too much pressure on him.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

108. VJ says:

I hear ya. I really wish they would give the kid an honest chance to show what he can do, rather then have him with a couple of players not so known for their offensive talents. Hopefully he’ll be there to start the game and through it, get bumped up to the 3rd. Hell why not even give him a little bit of 2nd PP unit time, not much else is working out there. But i’m sure it’s more likely JM will keep him at his usual 10 mins/game

109. spos080808 says:

Eller playing center for 5 minutes tonight.

Pyatt playing top minutes with G&G.

Boyd scratched.

I could understand if Martin made one of these awful decisions for a game, but all 3 for the same game…

There is really no logic in any of these decisions!

110. scrowe21 says:

gotta give Pyatt a little credit..he was hustling.I thought Pyatt looked good with them last game, but I only watched the first 2 periods. He had a couple nice shots and made some nice defensive plays.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

111. Aybara says:

Why on earth would he scratch Boyd?

112. adamkennelly says:

hahahaha…should be able to produce a lot centering those two boat anchors with 4 mins of ice time…JM really is a bit of a moron.

113. rocketsglare says:

Eller is between Darche and Moen in tonight’s game. So who is going to score on that line? How about Eller

between Gionta and Pouliot and for tonight, Gomez is between Darche and Moen. Gomez needs to be sent a

a wake up call and get himself going. I am beginning to tire of Gomez and his fat contract being a non-fact-

or so far this season. Dude, show me something and play like you care.

114. jennifer1984 says:

noooooooooo!

my landlord has cancelled RDS! dammit!

this is a sad day. and she’s too much of a pain in the ass to get it put back on

115. SeriousFan09 says:

My RDS Feed for online users.

116. kempie says:

Tabarnouche, that sux.

117. savethepuck says:

Did u ooffer her 10 or 20 bucks more a month?

118. SlovakHab says:

“and Martin is hoping the move will produce some offence”

so who will score off Eller’s set-ups? Darche or Moen?

The problem is that Darche has no speed and Moen has no finish.

Eller is a waste with two 4th line pluggers!

How about this:

Cammalleri – Eller – Kostitsyn

Gomez – Plekanec – Gionta

119. rocketsglare says:

I would prefer not to brake up Kostitsyn and Plekanec since those two have developed some

nice chemistry between themselves.

120. Storm Man says:

Lord Martin(tm) he is such a special guy.

121. samTHEman says:

No way you put Eller on the 1st line wtf? thats plekys spot. less crack plz

122. spos080808 says:

Do not get me wrong, I love the way Pyatt plays the game. He is very valuable to the Habs…But as a 3rd or 4th line player. Not a top 6 minutes player. Pyatt is on the team to eat some minutes, play solid in the Dzone, and kill penalties…He is not a player to count on for goals or nice assists. It is as simple as that. There should only be TWO options for that 6th and final top 2 line spot…Either Eller or Pouliot…

And yes both of those players may be subpar defensively, but playing with G&G, those defensive liabilities will be cleaned up.

123. mbplekfan says:

Those 3 shifts per period at center for Eller will produce some offense.

Thats the stupidest thing JM has said in a long time.

He’s juggling and flying by the seat of his pants. Offense will come from Gomez and Gionta in addition to the Pleks line or it wont come. Eller-Moen and Jari Kurri couldnt produce offense.

124. homerbowen says:

GOMEZ and scoring in the same sentence???? He is useleaa and draggingn the team down. Send him to the Dogs.

125. Say Ash says:

Hmm, is Kurri available?

126. christophurrr says:

and can he play point on the pp?