Eller signs for two years

Lars Eller

Late Friday afternoon, the Canadiens announced they have signed RFA centre Lars Eller to a two-year contract.

Renaud Lavloie of RDS reports it’s for $2.65 million, which is a small increase on what he made last season .
As some members of the HIO Commentariat may know, Eller came to the Canadiens in 2011 in the deal that sent That Other Goaltender to St. Louis.
Eller is a favourite of HIO … not least because he looks like he’s 16 years old but is married and has a recently-born child.

His nickname in the room is “Larry” … which Eller hates … which means his teammates use it all the time.

One of the more pleasurable games at the Bell Centre last season was Eller’s four-goal explosion against Winnipeg:

One of the goals was a VERY COOL penalty-shot spinerama:

1,528 Comments

1. habsarenumberone says:

If they want to shut down TSN 990, then I say anyone against this measure and who is a subscriber to Bell’s internet, TV or telephone service shut them down and switch to another provider. That will be our voice.

2. JayK-47 says:

WE DID IT!

We unlocked a new thread!!!

3. Greg says:

Ok let’s stop talking about trading/not signing PK. I’m bored of it. If we’re gonna talk about a Subban…

Who gets Jordan Subban in 2013? Montreal or Boston?

• habstrinifan says:

The Subban to Chicago is one hundred percent false. But there is some dissatisfaction in the Subban camp, particularly Mom Subban who is making Pop Subban get seriously involved in any sit downs with P.K and Don Meehan.

One thing to consider is that while Pop Subban is a huge huge fan of the Canadiens he was not a huge fan of the previous regime.. except for Bob Gainey. Pop Subban has told many many friends of his re his admiration (and surprise) that Bob Gainey WAS THE ONLY HAB.. I REPEAT THE ONLY HABE who came to Subban’s defence wholeheartedly when people like Richards were making comments and people like Martin was absolutely mealy mouth about it. Also know that Pop Subban is NOT A FAN of the put down that his son received on L’Antichambre.

People who are saying that Don Meehan ‘has been busy’ and could not attend to Subban’s contract cant really be serious… I mean listen to that excuse really.

Pay very close attention to Meehan’s statement that he is sitting down with Subban (and his DAD).

My info… think Teacher’s Pension Fund head office .. all I can say.

4. The Jackal says:

Are we at 1500 yet???

5. Chuck says:

Prince Fielder wins the Home Run Derby over Toronto’s Jose Bautista. Good for him, but watching Fielder swing in slow motion is like watching waves ripple in a waterbed.

___________________________________________________

6. commandant says:

Laraque accused of stealing money from his business partner.

Sounds like the same thing he did with the Habs and that three year contract.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

7. JayK-47 says:

Trade Pleks UNLESS………. he learns to calm himself, hold the puck longer, and create time and space for his linemates like DD. The ol’ ‘race across the blueline, look at teammate then wrist a shot at the opposing goal then skate back to the neutral zone’ move just ain’t working for me. Plus the Habs need a LW more than they need a TP.

• commandant says:

DD’s line is a defensive liability. Look at the sheltered minutes they were given.

Also look at the +/- for the line at home vs on the road.

Once DD has to play defence against a line with any kind of size, he just cannot contain his man off the cycle down low.

Eventually (not this season, but eventually) he should be shifted to LW where his defensive responsibility will be lessened, and Pleks will be the perfect #2 centre behind Galchenyuk.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

8. H.Upmann says:

Man… Don Meehan must be one loaded mofo

9. Propwash says:

BGL looking for a new job.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

10. SmartDog says:

Hey! Eller signs for two years!

Pip pip!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

11. Adam says:

I’m not sure I understand this depression over PK not being signed yet. Remember going through this with Price’s last contract two years ago?
    It’s July. Training camp doesn’t start for over two months. Who cares if he signs tomorrow or the day before camp begins? It has no bearing whatsoever on his off-season training regimen, and it’s not like he’s missing games, is he?
    So come on, calm down. The reason he hasn’t been signed is because his agent has been busy. Or MB has been busy. Or they’ve talked but haven’t hammered out particulars. Or MB decided that after signing Eller, he wanted to take some time off to rewatch the last season of Breaking Bad before the season premier. It doesn’t matter. PK will have a contract before the first puck is thrown onto the ice at training camp, and everyone will forget this was ever an issue.

12. habaholic68NJ says:

My impression of Boone since July 6:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

13. neutral says:

I think the Habs will be made up of Coulda – Shoulda – Woulda.

14. martincurran55 says:

Thanks. I’ll try it out.

Et La But

15. aj says:

Uhh guys, any idea as to how much Shane Doan would be worth if he does sign here for next season and how many years (roughly) he would play here?

My guess: $4.5 to $5 million/yr. for 2-3 years, give or take.

16. neutral says:

I don’t see much of an urgency to sign PK. I wonder why. Me thinks somethings going down and MB is very silent.

we may get a surprise. Rumors are twirling.

• aj says:

Subban will get signed. His agent, Don Meehan was actually busy this past week doing a ton of work during FAF (think Parise and Suter sweepstakes signing to the Wild).

17. martincurran55 says:

How do you change your profile Pic. I went into my profile page but didn’t see where you can upload a pic. What am I missing here.

El La But

18. jo_maka says:

1500.
    Boom !
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

19. jmsheehy19 says:

what’s your dream breakfast line combo? Mine…

Bacon- Eggs – Biscuit/Cornbread

Coffee – Orange Juice

(cheap) Price

• Sean Bonjovi says:

First call up = last night shawarma

• neumann103 says:

Look, we have to trade eggs now while they still have value!

We can get:
      - fried bread in bacon grease,
      - a pepto bismol tablet
      - a second round draft pick.

Sure the short term will be horrific and nausea inducing but we have that pepto bismol to get us by, and that second round pick has about a 30% chance of being a regular NHL Menu item that is nowhere near as good as eggs.

We have to make this trade now!

“Et le but!”

• Greg says:

I’m more of a 3rd-4th line utility breakfast:

Bowl of Banana-nut cheerios – Orange-cranberry all-bran bar

coffee-OJ

Surfing HIO

It’s my every morning routine, plus it keeps you regular.

20. Lizardking89 says:

Been awful quiet on the Subban front I hope he gets signed soon.

• Dust says:

He’s an RFA. They generally take longer to sign. It isn’t urgent as they own the rights to this player. If it’s the end of august and he isn’t signed then i’d be concerned

• alfieturcotte says:

I hope you are correct. I fear that our rookie GM has made yet another error choosing to focus on Price rather than PK. PK should have been his priority.

• LizardKing1967 says:

He’ll be signed by the end of the month.

sorry Lizard, I am the origonal.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

Come on let’s Tank™ again,
    like we did last season!
    Yeaaah, let’s Tank™ again,
    like we did last year!

Do you remember when,
    we were really bummin’,
    Yeaaaah, let’s Tank™ again,
    Tankin™ time is here!

Heeee, and round and round then down down down
    we go again!
    Oh, baby, let me know you can sink so low,
    and then:

Tank™ again,
    like we did last season,
    Come on, let’s Tank™ again,
    like we did last year!

22. martincurran55 says:

My contribution for 1500. Now please, can we have another article. Any Subban contract updates?

23. jo_maka says:

Back to my 2014 dreamland. How would a first line like this look like ?:

P.Kane – A. Galchenyuk – E. Kane
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

24. jo_maka says:

10 to go
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

25. Cal says:

For post 1487 on our quest for 1500, this historical event took place:
    Jul 24th, 1487 – Citizens of Leeuwarden Neth rebel against ban on foreign beer.
    Sounds like any bar in Montreal, eh?

EDIT: Typical this is post 1488, isn’t it?

26. Adidess says:

I see we still need another dozen posts to reach 150 000.

Anyway, what was I going to say? Well, nevermind.

Edit: 150000 wasn’t really part of the joke. Now I have to live with it -)

27. Habhopeful says:

In case this was missed…

Let the fun begin…

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
    Canadiens called Terry Bross (Lagardere Unlimited) for his client Shane Doan. Bross said that Doan has interest for the Canadiens.

28. Propwash says:

My contribution for the 1500 post milestone.

Picked up the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and hoooly smokes, what a smartphone!!! Blows my Nexus S clean out of the water.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

29. Chuck says:

!

___________________________________________________

30. Chuck says:

?

___________________________________________________

31. Chuck says:

___________________________________________________

32. L Elle says:

Here’s my donation for Little Jimmy. 1 post. ;)

33. Chuck says:

On a side note, I hate ballparks with gimmicks.

___________________________________________________

34. Habhopeful says:

Tweet from Kevin Allen;

Kevin Allen ‏@kausatoday

Larry Robinson said a big reason for going to San Jose was to allow his wife to be closer to the grandkids who live in California. Good man.

• ProHabs says:

Exactly, I have been saying all along that Robinson wasn’t interested in coming to Montreal and took some heat for it (from Stubbs no less). If he really wanted to be in Montreal, he would be here. This tweet from Kevin Allen explains alot.

35. Chuck says:

1463.

___________________________________________________

36. Hali_Hab says:

Here is a little something to chew on..

disregard the fact that its from hockey buzz. Its not an Eklund dit.
    just something from a chi town blogger.

37. jo_maka says:

My only really really heartfelt prayer for the next season:

If need be, demote Youpp! to janitor chores. If he throws a tantrum, trade the bum. But I want to see some Ice Girls !!!

Not complicated. Boom !
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

38. Detritus says:

Not a whole lot going on. For interest/discussions sake, hockeyyinsiderr dude on twitter is saying that the habs have offered up two deals for JBo, Gomez + next years 1st and Kabs + next years 1st.

Perhaps more surprising is that he goes on to say that Feaster is considering it, as he really wants a 1st.

While, common sense says this is 99% garbage, the idea of adding a Jbo caliber player (despite the atrocious salary) is appealing. Perhaps not at the cost of a potential top-3 pick again next year though.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Our 1st next year could well be another lottery pick.

We’re starting off the season with more or less the same team as last year, except no Gill or AK, and Therrien as coach. There is no reason to believe we won’t finish in the bottom 5.

JBo potentially for Nathan McKinnon? It would make everyone forget the McDonagh blunder.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

39. Adidess says:

I am willing to bet money that the Habs have the most obsessed fans in the league (I could stop here, but that’s not my point)… The Habs probably have the fans most obsessed, in the entire NHL, with promoting trades that send their better players the other way.

A month ago, debate was raging over whether the team should trade Subban, the youngest and the nb 1 D guy on the roster, a star in the making and fan favorite.

Now it’s Plekanec, a workhorse, the most reliable two-way player on the team, with a contract that is looking more and more fair in this inflated market.

The Habs have so much deadwood (should i really name names?), why would you start by trading Plekanec in a transition year, not even knowing whether younger replacements are ready to step in? Why would you even contemplate trading a 23-yr old stud who’s only a RFA?

I know it’s not everybody arguing in favor, but I am so uneasy with the rationale for trading any of these two guys that I can’t bring myself to consider what we would be asking in return.

If i am MB, the only reason I consider trading one of these two is somebody gives me a call and tells me I want Pleks, what is your asking price? Since Pleks isn’t Crosby, I would talk. I see no reason MB would pick up the phone and offer Pleks to anybody at this juncture.

• HabFab says:

I’m thankful every day, that NO ONE here has a say on running the Habs.

• HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness, no one is suggesting we should “get rid” of Plekanec.

If I understand Tom’s arguments, we are a ways from contending. If we want to make a trade for some great prospects or young players, we will have to give up a good player. PK, Price and MaxPac are untouchable (more or less). That really only leaves Tomas. (And perhaps Cole or Markov.)

If Plekanec were part of a deal to land one of the Kanes, for example, that would be very interesting.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

I think the other part of the argument is that we have an excess of centres: Eller, Plekanec and Desharnais are fine for this season, but room needs to be made for Galchenyuk next season. When you throw that into the mix, the idea of using Plekanec to land one of the Kanes would be VERY attractive, even if it meant short-term pain for this season.

• alfieturcotte says:

PK and maxPac are the only 2 untouchables. I would gladly throw Price for Kane and ???. Pleks for Kane is a no brainer.

40. geo_habsgo says:

Just helping the push toward 1500! How about them Habs?

41. frontenac1 says:

FYI…TSN2 now showing 2007 WJC..Can vs Sweden, PK,Toews,Eberle,Tavares etc

42. The_Franchise31 says:

Plek was 2nd on the top free agents list only beyond kovolchuk. Ppl under estimate his value to the team

43. punkster says:

1500 you say?

Little Jimmy needs a new pair of shoes!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…with all the positive things happening, doesn’t it make You think how out of Our minds with optimism We would be if Roy was coaching and Big Bird the D Coach ?
    …man, I know I would be higher than if I had a peyote garden in my backyard :)
    …but, MT as Coach and no Larry is like going out on a date with a babelicious babe with curry on Her breath :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

45. HabFab says:

This blogger has moved the Habs into 10th place on his rankings of Team’s Prospect Depth. Hockey Futures haven’t done their update yet, but they had us 24th last season.

• 24 Cups says:

The criteria is totally different, Frank.

• jedimyrmidon says:

So without the 2012 draft, he considers the Habs to have a below average prospect pool. I wonder what that means with respect to having guys like Ellis, Bournival, Tinordi and Beaulieu in the Memorial Cup tournament – and all play important roles on their teams. Does that mean that many other NHL teams have multiple prospects enjoying similar success? Or maybe many teams have quality prospects currently in the AHL?

• commandant says:

Our problem last year was having literally nothing beyond Leblanc in the AHL. The rest were 4th liners at best.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Chris says:

Junior success does not always translate, and the scouts that are polled are usually pretty good at identifying who will work out and who might not (although they are clearly prone to mistakes!). Memorial Cup appearances often aren’t a good indicator, as that is more an indication of being fortunate enough to play for a relatively stacked junior team.

As a good example, compare two Montreal Canadiens youngsters.

In 2007-08, the Memorial Cup was played in Kitchener, who also won the OHL championship. The runners-up that season were the Belleville Bulls. This gave Montreal two elite defence prospects in the Memorial Cup, Yannick Weber and P.K. Subban.

Yannick Weber was more polished at that age while Subban was a better athlete who had questionable positioning. They put up similar offensive numbers that year:

Weber – 59 GP, 20 G, 55 PTS, 79 PIM, +7 (Playoffs: 17 GP, 4 G, 17 PTS)
        Subban – 58 GP, 8 G, 46 PTS, 100 PIM, +19 (Playoffs: 21 GP, 8 G, 23 PTS)

Both guys played in the World Juniors: Weber had 2 goals and 6 points and served as captain of Switzerland in his third appearance at the tournament, while Subban had nothing to show for his first of two appearances in the World Juniors where he was largely used as a spare defenceman for the more powerful Canadian team.

Subban was a second round pick, Weber was a third round pick.

At the AHL level, both guys had substantial success. Weber’s first season saw him put up 16 goals and 44 points in 68 games to go with a +11 rating, and he added 1 goal and 2 points in 3 NHL playoff games that spring. Subban’s debut in the AHL was also successful: 18 goals and 53 points in 77 games and a ridiculous +46 rating, to which he added 3 goals and 10 points in 7 playoff games.

If you were to poll most fans, they would say that those guys looked pretty even in terms of performance although Subban had a better ceiling and was a favourite because of his style of play and his size. If you asked most scouts, I suspect the worry was that Subban was excitable and was going to be a project, but he was hands down a better NHL prospect, whereas Weber had a lower ceiling but was perhaps a safer bet to reach that ceiling.

The scouts ended up being right on that one…Subban has become the better NHL player. And I suspect they are right more often than we give them credit for.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Thanks for the insight. Would never have guessed that Weber looked so good prior to entering the NHL. Oh how his stock has fallen. But that begs the question: can he regain his confidence and become a Top 4 Dman?

46. The_Franchise31 says:

I hate seeing all these trade plek post. Drives me crazy. Pleks bring SO much more to the table then stewart and Kane!?

• piper says:

I have to disagree but thats just my opinion. I think the other two could each put up the same points as Plek and you know what else they provide. Plek may be a bit better defensively at this point. No Kane’s better at that too.

47. H.Upmann says:

So we’re going for 1500 eh? i’ll do my part and chime in!

Too bad Therrien didnt go with Big Bird. I understand MB respected the process and showed integrity by not interfering.. but I think
    someone as special as Larry Robinson requires extra effort to land,
    so I think MB may have missed out on a huge opportunity to land a coup

QUEBEC CITY Nordics have contracted out multy million dollar contract, for their new clocks and all electronic components throughout their to be built soon NHL ready building.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments