Eller out first

LarsEller

Lars  Eller is on the ice at 10:10 for a 10:30 practice.
He’s practicing his down-low moves.

Eller has positioned a 4×4 on the side of the blue paint.

With his back to the net and the puck against the boards, he’s skating out in front, pivoting and lifting the puck over the board.

•  •  •

Elliotte Friedman is here to interview Carey Price.

Hockey Night in Canada will have a pre-game feature on the goaltender fraternity: clips from Price, Martin Brodeur, Nikolai Khabibulin and Ryan Miller.

Tim Thomas was supposed to be in it, but the Bruins are struggling.

•  •  •

The Wednesday Blood Drive collected 680 units.

The goal was 675.

•  •  •

Rick DiPietro starts tonight for the Islanders.

What’s the over/under on how long he lasts till an injury?

I’m guessing he takes off his mask for the anthem and collapses to the ice in pain.

•  •  •

The Maurice Richard Bridge?

1. The Pickle says:

Sedin absolutely should not have punched Marchand back in that situation. What he should have done is put one hand on either end of his stick, bring it up to approx. 5’6 high, and cross check Marchand right in the mouth so that he now owns a 2 piece stick and the fact that they can only find 9 of Marchand’s teeth is causing them to bring out the zamboni. Then see how tough that little punk is after that

2. Marvin says:

You know this city is hockey-mad and the reporters have nothing to write about when they write about who the first person on the ice is. Ugh!

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Love it! I crave it all as it is tough to wait 6 days between games. Haven’t heard anything of the supposed Cammy and Gionta injuries I read about last week tho… that a good sign?

3. zak says:

One division of original 6 teams minus chicago as they are too far west. Dertroit would replace the jets in the east.

Hire the best regardless of language

4. zak says:

Does PG have a no negotiations policy till the end of the year ala BG. Weber and Gorges best on the team in +- @ + 6

Hire the best regardless of language

• nunacanadien says:

That would not be good, especially if a hot prospect or hot player becomes available. It kind of reinforces the notion that Pierre Gauthier has adopted the Bob Gainey school of passive negotiation. That is you sign what is left over after you make frantic phone calls to big name superstars offering peanuts and then you say you actually made some phone calls. When really all you do is take the offers of agents who can’t sell their players anywhere except Montreal.

5. sane hockey fan says:

7 year/$49 mil for Pekka Rinne…Carey Price is going to be a very rich man.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Price is still an RFA, more likely he’s getting 5 to 5.5 in his next deal, PG giving him 4-6 years.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• krob1000 says:

Rinne may be the most consistent goalie in the NHl right now. I read an interesting article on him in the hockey news about his trapper and how he uses it in situations where other goalies would not. He catches cross body and when hugging the post often has his glove five hole as he prefers to catch any and everything he can to limit rebounds and maintain more control. He is also a UFA and that is the type of money he would be offered…Price is an RFA so I think about 5 million is reasonable at this stage.

• vivsterjuve88 says:

I agree, Rinne easily has the best glovehand in the league I’d say, and he’s not old either. Price is good enough to earn at least 5mill/yr, probably more, and he hasn’t reached his potential yet, but the inconsistency that we’ve seen here and there in the past few yrs is something Rinne hasn’t displayed, so there’s gotta be some pricing difference there

6. Thomas Le Fan says:

Personally, I want all Canadian teams to do well and would enjoy a Leafs resurgence … and a good playoff smack down. If they can get through November without falling, they might last until May.

7. Mattyleg says:

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 25 trillion times:
    The NHL schedulers are imbeciles.

This ‘tons-of-games-then-long-break-then-back-to-back-games’ idea is ridiculous!! How can they expect the NHL to be taken seriously if they can’t organize a decent schedule?!

On top of that the “President’s Trophy” is a joke because not every team plays each other, and most games are restricted to inter-divisional games that could pit decent teams regularly against useless ones for easy points.

I’m sick of the NHL. Really.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Gotta admit that it cannot be easy to create a schedule that will accomodate 30 teams and their specific multi-purpose arenas.
      Last year alot complained at the number of back to back the Habs had to go through, but it was either below or on average with the rest of the league.
      Does it suck, yes! Can it been done better, maybe.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not saying that we have it worse than anyone (I checked that out last year), but it’s just a joke overall.

I could deal with certain back-to-back games etc. if teams actually ALL played one another, and it was a way of making sure that the balance was hit. At the moment, it just looks like a messy free-for-all that has no design whatsoever, and there is absolutely no consistency or solid framework.
        How can you award a trophy for that?
        (not you, Shiram, you can only award the ‘Shiram Poutine Par Excellence Trophy’, but you know what I mean)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

It’s a mess for sure, but I still think it’s a complicated thing to organize all those games.
          There’s also travel issue, reason why teams don’t play too often out of division.
          I don’t really care about the President’s to be honest, but it’s about having a best record, and I guess with parity, they just went with it.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• VJ says:

Not just travel issues to take into consideration, but arena availability too. They don’t just hold hockey games, but other events, concerts, etc that they need to schedule around as well

• SeriousFan09 says:

No one will ever disagree with that, not even the mothers of the people who make the schedule.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• savethepuck says:

The scheduling is hard to justify and I totally agree about the President’s Trophy being a joke. Last year Vancouver was in the weakest division in the NHL, Washington has been in the weakest division in the East for several years. Before the success of the Chicago rebuild, Detroit benifitted from being in the weakest Division in hockey for years. Realignment should be the easiest thing in the world to figure out. You have the East and the West, each with 15 teams. Every team in the East plays the same number of games against every other team in the East, and vice-versa for the West. Not only the President’s Trophy is decided by playing in a weaker division, but more importantly there are teams in stronger divisions that miss playoff positions by 2 points because their schedule is more difficult than that of a weaker division team. The present 6 division format has to go.
      Math may be a slight problem but if each team plays 4 games against the other 14, that’s 56 games. Home and home against the other conference leaves 30 more for a total of 86. All teams on a level playing field.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• vivsterjuve88 says:

While parity has its benefits, the league has obviously decided that underlying stories and rivalries are the bigger seller for this league. Therefore, redwings vs blackhawks, habs vs leafs/boston, phily vs pitts/NYR, edm vs cal etc etc will sell more than the satisfaction that hockey followers will get from knowing all is even. It’s the sad business truth

• punkster says:

Can’t confirm your 25 trillion comment but the one about the Bettman Cup is bang on.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabsFan1111 says:

Could not agree more on the uselessness of the President’s Trophy. Have gone back a few years and the following seems to apply almost every year.

It essentially gets awarded to the team with the weakest division as the leader runs away with points against poor divisional rivals. The Nucks last year were the ultimate example, the only team in their division to make the playoffs. Avs and Oil were putrid, Wild were mediocre at best and Calgary had a good late surge but still missed the dance. Therefore Van ‘wins’ the leader of the weakest division trophy?!? Not that home ice helped them in the finals …

8. WindsorHab-10 says:

The Sens will be ready for us tomorrow night. Are we ready for them? I hate these long layoffs.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

9. Sportfan says:

Toronto Sports Network last night i mean Tsn and the Quiz last night was so freaking lame.

How much are you in love with Toronto? A lot, SO much or I can’t stop thinking about them. (I had worse words but I didnt want to post them)

My point is i cant stand hearing people rejoice about an overhyped team

• Chuck says:

Marty B had a crap night in nets and because of it the Leafs made out like bandits. By the mid-point of the game they only had 11 shots on goal, yet the broadcast crew was touting Lupul as the second-coming of Darryl Sittler.

• Hockey Bob says:

Toronto Maple Leafs 8-3-1, Canaidiens 4-5-2 4 points taken from these same Canadiens.
      Leafs are the second highest scoring team in league, Candiens lucky if they can knock 2 in a game.
      Leafs are the youngest team in the league, Habs depending on old overpaid players and not dynamic young scorers and mobile defenders.
      Leafs modern go and get it GM and Coach, Canadiens led by two men that belong in some cobweb filled catacombs.
      Leaf’s future so bright I have to wear shades.

• The Juice says:

LOL Hockey Bob! I thought you were serious until the line “Leafs modern go and get it GM and Coach” HA!

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

10. Chuck says:

Wouldn’t his practice be more effective of he and laid a goalie pan on its side in place of the board?

• hehe, I’d park his ass out ten feet and make him shoot corners all morning. Man that kid if he could pick corners would be leading the team in scoring right now.

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• shiram says:

A lil help from the coach, some PP time would not hurt him either.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• G-Man says:

I prefer our forwards force a rebound. Most goals these days are scored on the 2nd or 3rd shot. Picking corners usually ends as a free clear the zone play for the other team. Good 4 to 8 inch high shots to force rebounds- that’s the way to go.

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• Chuck says:

But he’s not practicing to force rebounds; he’s trying to get it over/around the board. Regardless of his intent, I still think that it would be more effective (and realistic) with a goalie pad laying on the ice.

I’m sure there’s one trimmed in pink that’s lying around somewhere not getting any use…

• G-Man says:

You are correct,sir!

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• Malreg says:

That depends…

Shots from the outside of high scoring areas, or just inside the zone, should be kept low for the rebound, but from the slot or around the net, pick a hole.

11. Sportfan says:

LOL I give good old Rick 1 to 3 games before he gets hurt XD I think the NHL should have a rule after a certain amount of years if the player is injured so much you can release him with a smaller cap hit than say if he’d been healthier

12. I was listening to XM NHL this morning. There was a clip of Cole. They asked him details about being picked up by Montreal. He said he was interested right away, and then he called Brian Gionta to get the inside story on the team.

The rest is history.

Good Job Brian, and Thanks.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

13. Mattyleg says:

Hey there Commentariat,

I’m doing Movember. I normally have a goatee, but I shaved that baby off yesterday, and I’m growin’ the mo’.

This is all for men’s health, especially prostate cancer, which I’m sure most of the people on this forum have come in contact with in one way or another. It’s an important issue, and something that’s worthy of a couple of bucks.

I gain nothing from this, except a fine soup-filter, but research into prostate cancer gains a ton.

Please visit my Movember site, and if you can afford to drop anything, even $5, you’ll feel all the better for it.

Oh, and you’ll get a chance to gaze upon Mattyleg’s ugly mug.

Thanks!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• OneTimer says:

awesome, Matty :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I gave at the office last night. I really did. We had a lecture by an oncologist. My boy was wicked smart.

DR. KENNETH KUNZ, MD, Ph.D.
      Medical Oncology Consultant, Nelson, BC

1995 University of Arizona Ph.D. Pharmaceutical Sciences
      1986 University of Manitoba M.D. Medicine
      1982 University of Winnipeg B.Sc. Chemistry
      2000 – 2002 Medical Oncologist/Hematologist Western Carolina Regional Ca Specialists, North Carolina
      1999 – 2000 Medical Oncologist/Hematologist , Nevada Ca Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, Bullhead City, AZ
      1997 – 1999 Medical Director, Oncology and Hematology Department,
      Kingman Regional Medical Center, Kingman, Arizona
      1996 – 1997 Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine,
      University of Indiana, Indianapolis, Indiana
      1996 – 1997 Clinical Research Physician, anticancer drug development program, Eli Lilly and Company,
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      1993 – 1995 Medical Oncology Fellowship, Arizona Ca. Center and Veterans Medical Center, Tucson, AZ
      1990 – 1993 Internal Medicine Residency, Arizona Health Sciences Center and VAMC, Tucson, Arizona

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

14. HFX-HabFan says:

Eller is quickly becoming one of my favourite Habs. Great combination of natural skill, hockey sense, and work ethic/desire. I love watching him skate out there and was so happy for him to get his first last game.

Between the play of Price and the continuing development of Eller, the Halak trade has been relegated to a mere footnote in Habs history.

15. DearyLeary says:

Can’t wait to see Larry snipe top bunk after a power move from behind the net!

16. Chris says:

And since I had soccer on the mind last night, have to congratulate Sir Alex Ferguson on his 25th anniversary as manager of Manchester United.

What has always amazed me about Ferguson’s tenure is the patience Manchester Unites granted him at the beginning of his career. When he came in, United had finished in the top 10 every year for a decade, but were not able to threaten Liverpool’s dominance.

Ferguson came in and cleaned house from top to bottom, with a heavy emphasis on cleaning up Man. U’s youth academies and finding young, talented kids for the team’s feeder system. The immediate results were not promising….they finished outside the top 10 in 3 of his first 4 seasons.

But that patience was rewarded, as Man. U is now there with Barcelona as perhaps the most dominant teams in the world over the past decade.

Picture the Montreal Canadiens giving a coach the lattitude to have the performance fall off for 3-4 seasons. Hockey fans are too impatient for their own good. A new coach comes in, and fans expect results within 1-2 years. But the reality is that it takes probably 4-5 years to start getting the players that you want into a particular system.

Since 1997-98, the team has featured the following coaches:

Alain Vigneault (266 games, 1997-2000): 109-118-37
    Michel Therrien (190 games, 2000-2003): 77-77-36
    Claude Julien (159 games, 2003-2006): 72-62-25
    Bob Gainey (41 games, 2006): 23-15-3
    Guy Carbonneau (230 games, 2006-2009): 124-83-23
    Bob Gainey (16 games, 2009): 6-6-4
    Jacques Martin (164 games, 2009-present): 83-63-18

I’m not sure Jacques Martin is the guy I’d like to see with the job security of old, as I’m not convinced he is the right fit for the franchise. But I would like to see the team get some continuity behind the bench.

• petefleet says:

Love Carbos #’s. Say what you want about his style, he was a winner on and behind the bench.

******************************************
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

***Habs Forever***

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ferguson is a bully. He’s succeeded by buying up other teams’ best players for years. Given his resources his teams’ performances in Europe have always been underwhelming.

• Chris says:

While I normally agree with you, this one time I definitely do not.

All the big teams buy up other teams’ best young players. That is the nature of football in Europe, and it is part of how those teams fund themselves.

That being said, there is a gulf between the strategy used by Ferguson, who has made his rosters by buying up young players who would go on to become stars (such as Peter Schmeichel or Nani), buying young stars in the making (19 year old Wayne Rooney, 18 year old Cristiano Ronaldo), developing youngsters from within the Man. U. system (Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Beckham, Fletcher, Cleverley) and making smart purchases when he did go out for an established player (van Nistelrooy, van der Saar, Vidic, Ferdinand, Ji-Sung, etc.)

While I can see how it might be argued that his teams’ performances in Europe have been underwhelming, the fact that they are always in the mix (along with Barcelona) was what I was referring to. The cast of characters in the final 8 is ever-changing, but you can usually count on Man U and Barcelona being there.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Today, Manchester United is not even the best team in their city (yes, still probably the fourth best in Europe). Ferguson? Very succesfull manager, total classless men. I am not a big fan of Jacques Martin but when I look at these two, I know whom I like better. Btw: You also have to be unbelievably lucky to have players like Scholes, Beckham, Giggs at more or less the same time coming through your Academy.

• Jordio-oh says:

unbelievably lucky or rewarded for your scouting?

The treble United won in 98-99 was on the back of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, the two Nevilles etc.

• Chris says:

No question they hit paydirt with Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and Neville.

But they’ve been pretty efficient at developing players for years, and the team has always been very good at going out to get guys who are on the verge of developing into superstars. Real Madrid buys superstars, Man U helps develop them.

Look at their roster right now…they’ve got good young players in Nani, Cleverley, Hernandez, de Gea, Anderson, Evans, etc.

Ferguson is a crusty old bugger. But he gets the job done.

And for all his crustiness, he is still credited as a very influential mentor to a lot of young managers around the world.

• The Juice says:

Seeing your summary reminds me why I disagreed with the Carbo firing…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

17. petefleet says:

So the Great 8 calls his coach a “Fat F%^&” after being benched. To me, that leaves no question as what kind of respect is going on there. Boudreau has never seemed to have control of those guys and that proves it. Until OV understands that he can’t win anything playing like an individual all the time, WASH is doomed to fail. Makes me laugh a little. I’ve never like him and his antics.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• ooder says:

where did OV call boudreau that?

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• DearyLeary says:

When Boudreau benched him in the last minute when Washington was down a goal.

• It’s much ado about nothing. Ovechkin was playing poorly and got benched as the Caps were trying to tie it up the other night. Ovechkin was angry he was benched.

If Ovechkin didn’t get angry the media story would be that he doesn’t care about winning. It’s all total BS.

______________________________
        Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

• petefleet says:

It not BS entirely. The real story is that he WAS benched. The fact that he went off on TV is secondary but still a story. Some could argue that he doesn’t care…about his team. You’ll never see Sid benched. I can guarantee that.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• The fact that it’s a story that he missed a single shift in a game where he’s playing terrible just goes to show exactly how much Boudreau has coddled him during his tenure. Boudreau treats Ovechkin like his son and not a player.

______________________________

• ooder says:

well i know he got benched.. but didn’t know that he called Boudreau that.
          i do agree though this is just “sensationalism” to create a story out of nothing
          ——————
          The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• It’s a classic no-win situation created almost solely because the player is Russian. It’s ridiculous. Honestly this situation says more about Boudreau than it does about Ovechkin, but that story is boring.

______________________________

• Malreg says:

Reminds me of the whole Marchand punching Sedin in the final last year.

If Sedin stands there and takes it, he’s called soft(or other names which cannot be said on HIO). If he retaliates and punches back, everyone would talk about how Marchand got them off their game.

• I think in that situation you have to punch Marchand back.

______________________________

• ooder says:

punch with your skate to the face

——————
            The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• J_P says:

Yeah you definitely have to punch marchand back. I try to avoid fighting as much as possible, but if someone actually hits me im gonna go buckwild on them.

What does it say about a person when he lets someone punch him repeatedly and does nothing? thats why vancouver lost the cup, WAY too soft.

• J_P says:

If he wanted to be on the ice when his team is up and the oppositions net is empty, than you could accuse him of not being a team guy. However, how can you accuse him of not being a team guy because he WANTS to be on the ice in the final minutes to tie it up?

He wears the ‘C’. Even if he was having a bad game, you still put him on the ice because he will always be dangerous. Boudreau’s gamble paid off, but alienating his best player is not the smartest of moves. If youre not going to play Alex Ovechkin is the last minute of a game with the chance to tie it up, than why the heck is he wearing the C?

18. i like the new bridge name idea

“take the richard, its quicker…”

works for me

19. rated_R says:

At this point anything double of what gomez can provide, ill take.

20. rated_R says:

Tonyp you can always watch it online. The power of internet brother. Try googling vodkasports, stream should start working within minutes of the start of the puck drop

21. Chris says:

Nice article by Allan Maki in the Globe and Mail today on Ralph Slate, who created the hockey statistics site hockeydb.com.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve used that site over the past 5-10 years. I realize that there are better statistical sites out there now, and there are still things about his database that irk me (why does he still not list goalie stats in the playoffs?), but it is still a great resource for fans who want to put players into historical context.

• The fast access to players and draft results on hockeyDB is fantastic.

______________________________

• SeriousFan09 says:

I love IHDB, the site’s comprehensive stats on all the leagues outside the NHL is excellent when doing research.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Jordio-oh says:

I use hockeydb constantly, every day even.

Being able to quickly pull up line-ups from 25 years ago is very useful.

Somtimes i find they don’t have every trade listed for every player, but given how much I gain from hockeydb, I won’t hold it against them.

Being able to look up AHL and junior stats all on the same page is also great.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Back before marriage and kids and less free time, the site was great for creating rosters in NHL (insert year here) on computer or 360 that allowed me to return every player back to their original team (and even having access to the jersey numbers they wore for said team, provided I couldn’t remember myself).

• Un Canadien errant says:

The interface is really clunky, and I imagine very little work would make it vastly more user friendly, but I still use it all the time, it’s way better than Wikipedia.

The thing that irks me is how you have to back out of every page you’re on, that they don’t have the intuitive links you can toggle to directly. Not sure if I’m using proper lingo or making myself clear, but if I’m looking at the 1998 draft (again, and wishing that we’d snapped up Simon Gagné and Brad Richards instead of Eric Chouinard and Mike Ribeiro, again) I should be able to flip to the ’97 or ’99 draft right from that page, instead of having to back out. Better yet, how about a column on the left with all the drafts listed and linked.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Jess Rusnack has developed a near cult hero status here on HI/O. Perhaps Mr. Boone she could attend the summit. I can only imagine the laundry list of questions we could provide her for future press conferences.

Whadda ya say Boone, Make it Happen!

23. new official ios habs app is muuuuuch improved except for one GLARING flaw

there is a purchase tickets option, that when you click, it launches safari to a web page that requires flash… *come on thats just lazy*

24. stevieboy says:

Pls let us know if Emelin is part of it today

Stevie

25. shiram says:

Good on Eller, he knows he has to score more and works on it, hopefully with some coaching advice too.
    Habs play tomorrow, wheeee….

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!