Eller back in line up for Sunday’s game against Devils

Giontaweb

After being a healthy scratch for the past two games, forward Lars Eller will be back in the Canadiens line up on Sunday when they play the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre.

Coach Michel Therrien said he made the decision on Friday before he found out that Max Pacioretty has flu-like symptoms.

Pacioretty missed Saturday’s practice and Eller practised in his place on the line with Erik Cole and David Desharnais. Therrien said Pacioretty has a slight fever and would be re-evaluated on Sunday.

While they want internal competition on the team, Therrien said he doesn’t want it to become unhealthy.

“It’s got to be a healthy competition,” Therrien said. “I believe in team spirit. (Eller’s) part of the team. He’s a young man that we care (about) and want him to be better….It’s our job to make sure that he’s going to get better.”

Defenceman Tomas Kaberle left practice early on Saturday after being hit in the face with a puck. “We’ll see tomorrow,” was all Therrien said when asked about him by one reporter.

Sunday’s game will also feature two Giontas–Canadiens captain Brian Gionta and his younger brother Stephen who plays for the Devils.

Gionta said he watched the Devils’ 3-2 overtime victory over the Capitals on Friday. His brother scored in the first period.

“As long as he doesn’t score tomorrow night we’re all right,” he said.

They had one chance to play against each other a few years ago and it was “extremely fun,” Gionta said. “Tomorrow night will be his first game here so I’m sure he’ll have quite the experience.”

Their parents are in Montreal, Gionta said.  “They don’t care what happens tomorrow night, I guess,” he laughed.

1. Stormin says:

Rangers look like they could use a guy like Brandon Prust

2. JF says:

Despite outshooting the Leafs 14-3, the Rangers don’t look good. Their defence left a Leaf alone in front of Lundqvist on both goals, and they don’t look as though they have a lot of jump.

Perhaps acquiring an expensive veteran like Rick Nash in exchange for a tough player like Brandon Dubinsky was a mistake. The Rangers reportedly have a good stable of young prospects; maybe they would have done better to keep their core intact against the moment when the prospects are ready.

3. Tis Himself says:

I don’t know why people rag on Brian Burke? He is the best GM the Boston Bruins have ever had!

4. jols101 says:

I can’t believe the Buds are winning this game 2-0. All Rangers so far. I think that is 2 goals on 2 shots against the King.

5. Strummer says:

Leafs up 2-0.

$22 million just doesn’t buy a #1 line like it used to.

King Henrik save % .333

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

6. Tis Himself says:

Crap! Leafs two goals on three shots against the Rags! Satan is in MSG tonight. Get me Max von Sydow!!!

7. Propwash says:

Wtf 2-0 Leafs???

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

8. PrimeTime says:

….what HH said re PK. Bang on! Forward and onward.

9. jols101 says:

Tuesday, Jan 29th vs The Jets. Galchenyuk’s final game of his 5 game ‘tryout’ – Predictions – Does he stick or does he go back to the Sarnia Sting ?

Note : Depends on what he does the next 2 games is not one of the answer choices. Either Montreal or Sarnia.

10. Tis Himself says:

Does anyone think that Sather would take PK for McDonough straight up?

11. Tis Himself says:

Proof that there is no God:

Rangers outshooting the Leafs 6 to 1.

Score: Leafs 1 Rangers 0

12. Strummer says:

Based on the current economics, would Gorges get the same contract he currently has?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

13. FormalWare says:

Mixed emotions. Love Larry, but too bad he’s only drawing in ’cause Patches can’t go.

I hope MT is as sincere as he sounds when he says Lars is “a young man that we care about…”

If Eller were pronounced “Ell-ay”, Larry would be #2 with a bullet!

14. munch17 says:

Am I alone in wondering where DD fits in?
    I see Gally as a number 1 center, Pleks as 2 , and Eller as 3.
    DD can’t be a number 3 or 4 center.
    I think he looks overmatched this year – easily pushed off the puck.

• Phil C says:

Do you mean this year or in the future?

• Dust says:

With his play i am wondering about this year. Let him sit next game and put eller between cole and patches

• munch17 says:

I can see DD staying this year – if he produces it will create a surplus.
        I would like to see Eller and Gally given the same chance to succeed as DD had .

• Phil C says:

I would say that Gally is not ready to take on the responsibilities of a 1st line centre yet. He needs to find his legs, learn the league, get a little older and stronger before sending him out there for 20 mins a night against centres like Malkin and Staal in all situations. The third line is perfect for him now because Therrien can pick his matchups and game situations. A productive 3rd line can be very valuable to a team, with secondary scoring often determining who wins the game. So he is still very valuable to the team on the 3rd line.

Eller should take a page from DD’s book on how to play yourself into a lineup. I am paraphrasing, but in an article about DD last year, he said that he always gains the coach’s trust by first being very defensively responsible when on the ice. He has done this at every level. Once the coach knows he can trust him, he then takes advantage of more ice time and more opportunities to produce offensively.

Eller has been inconsistent at times so far, which is not unusual for a player his age. Therrien is handling him in a way that is holding him more accountable for his play, which is exactly what he needs. I think through injuries, he will get his chance to sink or swim this year at some point, that’s how DD got his job.

15. punkster says:

I think that if you’re going to slag, whether in a critical manner or facetiously, the work of someone who has drawn conclusions from a statistical analysis you would be advised to provide the data and allow others to make their own evaluation.

Go there, read the article and read the other related articles, pro-PK and pro-Bergevin. It’s a polarizing issue. If you’re going to jump into the fray it’s probably best to try and absorb as much info as possible.

***FREE PK!!!***

16. doug19 says:

I believe it may turn out that Don Meehan Subban’s agent is not that swift a negoatiator. Why? Because the Habs are not expected to make the playoffs let alone win the Stanley Cup this year. But in two years things likely will be much different putting Subban in an excellent contract negotiating position. It would be interesting to know the major characters in this. Is it; Subban,Meehan parents,MB,owners,coaches,scouts,accountants? If this continues all 3 Subban’s stock may fall. After all who needs more headaches.

17. filincal says:

Gomez…three shots on goal, plus 1 and over 15 minutes of ice. Just sayin’.

18. habs001 says:

3 games in 8 days has helped the Habs as they have had one of the easiest starts in the east..

19. Strummer says:

based on the season so far- who’s better- King Henrik or C. Price?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habfan10912 says:

The King had an off night against the Bruins but otherwise has been great. Price has looked huge in the nets. Thus far? Wins matter so I would say Price but you could not go wrong with either.

———————————–

• habs001 says:

Price but is Marleau one of the best players in the history of the NHL(based on the season so far lol)

• Strummer says:

Marleau did it again today- despite sharing a bench with the curse that is Gomez

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Based on this season? Too early to say.

Both I believe to be among top 6 in all the NHL.

Of course if you use only this seasons stats, Mr. Quick in L.A. is no longer worthy of much…..

• Strummer says:

I like how strong Price started this season. In the pre-season show, TSN’s Jamie McClellan (sp) had him ranked 3rd in the east and Henrik #1.
        I think its a toss-up now

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

20. habs001 says:

PK 23 years old 160 nhl games 21 goals 55 assists..,,he is the type of dman cup contenders have to have..he is very good at getting the puck out of the d zone….I laugh at some posters who say he has some d issues but they dont realize his role is not to be a shut down d..just as Coffey was not…

21. Sean Bonjovi says:

Is it possible that both Eller and Desharnais will both play centre for the Canadiens next season? If not is it more likely that one will be traded, or that one will move to the wing?

22. Danno says:

With his parents in the audience at the Bell Centre and playing against his former team and his little brother, I expect Brian Gionta to put on quite a performance tomorrow night.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

23. Strummer says:

Andi Petrillo on HNIC pregame show reported a goal for the Sharks by Matthew Irwin.

Is she sure it isn’t Matthew Irving?

EDIT- that HNIC pre-game show is such a rip-off of the Fox NFL pre-game show.
    Healy thinks he’s Terry Bradshaw.
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

24. Tis Himself says:

Proofs for the existence of God:

St. Thomas Aquinas

Rene Descartes

Scott Gomez playing for the Sharks!

25. Ncognito says:

Eller’s getting a shot with Cole and DD tomorrow. This is probalby a preview of the second line next week when AG is sent back to Sarnia and Maxpac joins Pleks and Gionta.

26. tagomagotexas says:

if reports are true and the habs are offering pk a 2 yr / 5M contract, they are very clearly low-balling – and I think it’s about maintaining some semblance of critical cap flexibility for a competitive playoff run next year.

a quick hit at capgeek reveals, for 2013-2014, that the habs have to sign/replace armstrong, desharnais, white, palushag, nokaleinen, bouillon, weber and budaj with approximately 11 M. assuming desharnais gets a raise (4M), the others get around what they’re currently making (6.5M for the others), kaberle is bought out and his cap hit is used for subban (4.2M) , there is no cap space or flexibility left.

a 2.5 M offer provides flexibility – bouillon could be replaced by a bonafide top 4 D-man to complement markov, subban and gorges, armstrong could be replaced by a strong second or third third liner – both potentially difference makers between a peripheral playoff team and a competitive one next year.

all this to say i think subban is critical to the team, is worth at least 3.5M/yr on a 2-year bridge contact, and at least 4.5M-5M+ on a long-term contract. numerous analyses of his play has been done, and if anything the above figures are on the low-scale for what he has accomplished over the last 2 yrs in montreal.

San Jose undefeated with Gomez.

• ooder says:

it is beyond pathetic how habs management lacked the ability to groom young players to play with confidence.
      absolutely absurd mentality by carbonneau and JM… the game where he played O’byrne and webber on the fourth line was the stupidest thing i have ever seen.
      i just don’t get how the habs were unable to put to use a big strong physical d-man.
      I also don’t understand how trevor timmins hasn’t resorted to drinking from all the awful moves the habs made with his drafts
      ——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Incompetence and mismanagement of this organization since Serge Savard was fired. If the way Bergevin is handling this PK situation is any indication it looks like the tradition continues.

27. F50Marco says:

It sure adds a fun element to the game knowing how much players are paid, how much people are offered/offering etc. but to be honest with you, i wish all salary info was kept away from the public.

All this talk about other peoples money is getting old.

• The Jackal says:

Oh man, if it was not made public, it may be worse… can you imagine all the speculating being done about that????

_________________________
      “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

• F50Marco says:

Ya but it would be just speculation. Since speculation is all we could come up with, our focus would be drawn more to the game itself and the performances of said players, which it should be.

If Arnott has anything left in tank, nice signing by Rangers. I have always thought Arnott would be a good player for Habs, unsure how much is left, but I doubt he hurts the Rangers.

29. twilighthours says:

Alright chl people, I’m at the Halifax quebec game, who (with jersey num) should I be watching now that grigs is gone?

Sorry, I think I have gotten a little to fired up about this whole PK / MB negotiation.

I want the team to do what is best for the team, I hope this includes PK on the team.

I will leave it at that and comment no more about it.

• Habfan10912 says:

You of ALL people need not apologize. We are passionate fans but often reactionary. Someone here, I forget who, has a signature statement from Bowman advising not to listen to the fans. It’s very true. The matter will be resolved early this week and we’ll all move on to the next “hot” issue.

———————————–

31. The Jackal says:

I saw this Eller thread and was hopeful that we wouldn’t be talking about PK any more.
    Despite the split opinions, the facts speak for themselves, and to continue speculating is as moot as the Price vs. Halak debate (Price, duh….), which in the end had an obvious answer.

Hoping for a good game from Eller and the Gallys, as well as a win tomorrow.

_________________________

Very happy to see Eller back in lineup. I think he will show MT that he needs to stay in lineup.

• Habfan10912 says:

I sure hope he catches fire. A big center with sound defence skills. Just what the Dr. ordered.

———————————–

• neumann103 says:

Yes, unless Therrien is blinded by evidently pre-conceived notions.

I just remain slack jawed at what seems to be the institutional requirement from Martin to Cunneyworth to Therrien (and I guess Bergevin) to react to anything by blaming Subban and Eller.

“Et le but!”

32. ConcussionLikeSymptoms says:

The problem with forcing Subban to sign a bridge contract is that once the contract is up he may just end up pulling a Komisarek

• K-hab25 says:

He’ll still be an RFA and I don’t know why you’re acting like Komisarek leaving was a bad thing. If anything it’s proof of why Subban should be given a bridge contract. Komisarek was supposed to be our future captain, who played top pairing minutes, now what is he.

33. HabFan in Edmonton says:

I can’t believe people are suggesting a Courturier for Subban trade. Couturier scored 13 goals in 77 games as a forward and has potential but will probably not be a dominant player. Subban scored 14 goals as a rookie defenceman and has shown signs of being a dominant defenceman, not there yet, but huge potential. I like to think Bergevin is way smarter than that.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I certainly hope people aren’t getting excited about Courturier.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Couturier’s point totals were pretty good for the amount of time he spent on the ice and the situations he played in.

• The Jackal says:

Maybe, maybe not, but he doesn’t stack u to Soobie Doo

_________________________

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Regardless of who’s worth more in theory the Canadiens really need a solid, established, two-way-all-around defencemen who can play well right now who is young enough to be around for a long time, and the last thing they need is one more centreman.

34. PeriodPain says:

Quick question. Now that Gomer signed with the Sharks, do we still have to pay him, and how much of the 7 mil? What’s the cap hit?
    And do the Habs still have to buy him out at the end of the season?
    Thanks

Eller back in lineup = Good
    PK not signed yet = Bad
    Clearly MB and MT know far less about PK than anybody here at HI/O, clearly both MB and MT are complete idiots and should by now be floating in the St. Lawrence for how they have handled this.

I am so proud and happy that MB and MT got at least 1 week into the schedule before this was decided. Yes this is indeed a Habs Fans website.

• HabFab says:

I can understand the MT POV but why are you picking on poor MB co soon.

I am in complete and utter amazement that people on this website know more about PK and the negotiations ongoing than MB knows.

• ed lopaz says:

we don’t know more then Bergevin, Gerald. But based on that offer we can certainly draw some obvious conclusions about how much Bergevin values Subban, can we not?

Until I know what PK has asked for I can’t make that conclusion Ed. I have done way too much negotiations in my business career to base such a conclusion knowing only what 1 side has offered.

• BK says:

Burly is a smart man. I’m starting to hate how this club and its beloved fans handle any controversy. I’m real pissed about this PK situation.

Time for changes

• HardHabits says:

You can speculate and try to dress it up as a conclusion. Somewhere along the way though you are missing a few premises that need supporting, which equates to a poorly delivered argument.

36. commandant says:

Bergevin came from Chicago.

In Chicago they gave big money, long term deals to Seabrook, Keith, Toews, and Kane… all after their ELCs expired. There were no bridge contracts for stars.

Why Bergevin wants to abandon the management style of the team he came from, a team that was successful, and adopt the policies of the previous administration of the Montreal Canadiens (Gainey and Gauthier), a group that wasn’t sucessful… I don’t understand.

We got rid of Goat cause his policies and his work as GM was not working out for the team… so why are we so insistent on continuing this team policy?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

I think that’s a great point Commandant.

The only rationale I can think of is that the low ball bridge contract was meant as a message from the GM that the Habs really don’t care to build a long term relationship with this player.

And now if they can pull the trigger on the deal to get Couturier, well, the boys at AntiChambre will be calling for Bergevin to win GM of the 1/2 Season award.

Perhaps before we tar and feather MB’s offer we get the official offer from Meehan that was requested for PK. Come on Ed, I always respect your opinion but doesn’t it seem fair that before we call MB’s offer a lowball we know what PK asked for?

• ed lopaz says:

what PK asked for has already been established.

Mackenzie reported the 2 sides were 2.5 million apart.

PK is asking for something around 5 million on a LONG TERM deal.

Well sorry I guess end of day I don’t really trust that information, I have every reason to believe that all leaked information is coming from the Meehan camp and not the Habs camp. That is my opinion, and I want to wait this out before making a judgement.

• commandant says:

Burly

No matter what PK’s offer was…. Bergevin is lowballing.

PK is probably also asking for too much, and the two sides are both to blame.

But the fact remains… this is a lowball offer.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

The FACT remains MB is a lowball offer, but the FACT remains we don’t know what PK asked for.

Yikes, I am glad to see we are impartial here.

• Adidess says:

HabinBurlington, I have never seen you use such distorted logic before. Sorry if this doesn’t sound like a compliment because it is. It’s usually very easy to follow your reasoning even when one disagrees with you.

Suppose you were not comparing the two positions (Subban and MB’s) but evaluating whether PK has been offered something that is reasonable, around market value to find a much needed resolution to this standoff… Would you say a $2.5M offer after 6 months of negotiations make sense?

I agree the leak probably came from Meehan’s camp, but that doesn’t mean it is inaccurate. All MB would have to do is leak that the real offer is $3.75 mil and that would just make Meehan look silly.

I don’t think it’s possible PK camp is asking for $10 mil a year (agreed?). So, let’s say they are full of themselves and asking for 6 mil for 6 years, I would still say MB’s offer is more ridiculous. Now that’s my point of view, but you could definitely express your own on that basis if you like. All we do on this site is speculating, so …

Yah, I am probably too emotionally charged right now. I have recused myself from everything PK.

• Steven says:

Isn’t that what made the Blackhawks so strapped against the cap, forcing them to deal or allow many of their better players to walk?

• F50Marco says:

Agreed. This is just getting silly if all of it is indeed true. I can’t believe MB is focusing so much on making a point of pitching the same contract term as Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Del Zotto, kulikov etc.

Even if PK is wants 2 year/10 mil per contract, let him prove that he IS worth it. If he comes up short then you have a better idea where his value should be at and if plays worthy of it than whats the problem?

Do we really think PK is gonna take a step back in his development? Whether we like it or not, PK has shown that he is only getting better with age. No Single Dman would of turned last years team into a playoff team!

• BK says:

Time for changes

Appreciate the kind words BK, but I think I too have lost rational thought on this matter. We Habs fans are just way more passionate and perhaps too smart for own good than most other fans.

I look forward to chatting with everyone here about Habs wins and all this BS about contracts isn’t front and center.

37. Adidess says:

@Steven
    Last I heard (maybe from Dave Stubbs) the PK camp was ok with signing a bridge contract, they just think $2.5M is ridiculous, based on market price.

• Steven says:

If that’s the case, MB should probably raise his price a bit, even if it’s overpaying in his eyes. I assume we have the cap space, and we’ll have even more next year.

Better for the team if he signs for less, though

• neumann103 says:

Two years, somewhere between $6.5- $7.5 total with an understanding that it is a bridge deal ought to work. It is still somewhat “underpaid” but typically non-arbitration eligible RFAs are.

How much you want to risk alienating your future core players by undervaluing is a real question.

It was one of the original goals of the Owners to try and institutionalize the screwing of early to mid career RFAs, but it was one of the things they didn’t get before they reached their predetermined drop dead date for ending that farce of a lockout.

“Et le but!”

• ooder says:

that is low

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

38. Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s a wonder Subban developed at all last year given the coaching situation.

What can we hope for now?

ie. Most would probably agree with HH’s assessment below, that PK has big potential but remains some way from elite. Will the current coaching staff help him start to cash in some of that potential?

39. Komihater says:

Just heard the announcers of the sharks/av’s game talk about Gomez, saying hes skating hard and finishing his checks. Now i don’t want the guy to fail but it’s kinda hard to wish him success when your club is still paying him all that money.

I hear a lot of blogs barking about how Subban is an elite defenceman and I gotta laugh. I recently paid a visit to HeadsUpTheirStats.COM and read all the pseudo-reporters there trip all over themselves trying to elevate Subban to the Pantheon of Great defencemen while crunching more numbers than a nerd with a bandage on his glasses and pocket full of pens.

Here are my observations. In Washington we watched what a real elite defenceman is all about as Markov single-handedly grabbed the game by the short and curlies and willed the team to victory. He made 2-3 great plays in his own end then on the ensuing solo rush drew an Ovechkin penalty. On that PP he made a brilliant pass to Plekanec for the 1st goal and an even more uncanny pretzel move to score a goal a minute later.

He was dominant and exceptional.

I have never, ever seen Subban come close to such domination in an NHL game. How many times has Subban been a first star? What I have seen is this, Subban on numerous occasions coughing up the puck that led to a goal that contributed to a loss. Yes, way more than once.

Yes he played big minutes but never once has he set the tone or led the team to victory because of his brilliance. He is not elite. Yes he is an incredibly talented athlete with immense potential. Potential I would love to see developed as a Canadien. He still has time fill into the elite defenceman skates. He is not there yet. Not by a far margin.

I have defended Marc Bergevin in this whole escapade and I will continue to do so. If it is true that they offered Subban 5 million over 2 years than I will candidly assert that I am disappointed with that offer. I think they should offer him 7 million over 2 years and if Subban refuses let him sit. In that case and IMHHO, he doesn’t deserve to wear the CH. Start considering a trade. There is a reason for having RFA rules in a salary cap system. The Habs are hampered with two horrid contracts and have a slew of young players who will be needing raises soon. These are all considerations that a good GM has to make.

Chris talks about GM’s with the guts to over pay young stars. I think he spelled “nuts” wrong. I don’t care what other teams do. I would prefer the Habs take a leadership role here.

I wrote earlier and I will reiterate, I think the Habs are in the business of building a team not a group of individuals. I will assert that they are through pandering to individual players, the media or the fans.

Hardball.

• Steven says:

Agreed 100%

What I don’t get in all this is the shortsightedness of Subban’s camp. If he thinks he’s worth so much, then why sign now for like 4.5 or 5 million long-term instead of 2 low-paying years then cashing in big?

• ed lopaz says:

” If it is true that they offered Subban 5 million over 2 years than I will candidly assert that I am disappointed with that offer. I think they should offer him 7 million over 2 years”

if you are disappointed, imagine how Subban feels about the offer.

I think Subban would be feeling cheated and slighted by the offer if even a casual fan is permitted to be disappointed.

yet, Subban’s refusal to sign is seen as a mutiny against the CH.

as for how many times Subban has been the 1st star, I don’t have that number – but I’m quite certain he has been the best Habs player on the ice dozens of times.

• Cal says:

I agree about most everything. 2.2 and 2.9 for 5.1 = 299% raise. How insulting. ;)

• The Jackal says:

He’s elite. Good point for discussion though.

_________________________

• K-hab25 says:

Great Post HH!!! Some of us get it, especially the part about not giving a s**t about what other teams do with their young players. Bergiven has to do what’s best for the Habs, not what other teams think is best.

41. Propwash says:

@Habs64, care to post where you got that info on PK for Coutourier?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

42. Adidess says:

So true @ Ed Lopez

People are outraged that Subban is holding out for a better deal, but they are also saying ‘he’s not worth more than $3.5 or 4 mil in my opinion’. So where is the $4M offer he could sign?

If you agree $2.5M is more than $1 mil below market value, what do you want him to do, suck it up? Yes 2.5 is a lot of money, but we should stop comparing player salaries to what we make. That’s not how the market or contract negotiations work.

And the reason I’m inclined to believe the reported offer is accurate is that he’s been corroborated by multiple sources, many of them credible. I am under the impression that Team Subban realized they were losing the PR war and leaked the number to shift the narrative. I have to say they have been successful at showing that the other side is also being unreasonable.

As high as $6M per year sounds, $2.5M is, yes i will say it, outrageous.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You nailed it, Adidess. Leaking numbers is part of the negotiating game. Any “scoop” that Mackenzie or RDS jumps on and feeds to us (and we gobble up) is strategic.

I also agree that 2.5 is low. It’s provocatively low.

43. solomio says:

So everybody is still yammering on about Subban. I thought some of you guys already did the math with regards to the ceiling next year of 64-65 Mill.With all the guys that need to be signed next year etc., etc, the Subban getting big money up front just doesn’t fit into the picture. If that’s the case then MB can’t give in to a high dollar amount even if he wanted to.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• neumann103 says:

I did the math. Posted in a previous thread. Tom had posted that the Habs had about $10M of room to sign Subban and Desharnais, but I assume that must have included buying out Kaberle and it really constrains any other options. But things open up a lot for 2014-2015

Repost

I had DD and Subban pencilled in for a combined total of $6.75 M which probably has a little room in it if PK signs a bridge deal, but is way under if a long term deal is signed.

I assumed that the Habs would not re-sign
      Armstrong, Colby
      White, Ryan
      Nokelainen, P.
      Bouillon, Francis
      Weber, Yannick

but would replace their roster spots with similar paid players, either kids like
      Beaulieu, Nathan
      Gallagher, B.
      Tinordi, Jarred
      Leblanc, Louis
      Dumont, Gabriel
      or trades/signings of players making similar money. My assumptions use these essentially minimum wage kids so signing current NHLers who make more than $1M pushes this scenario.

Using Capgeek numbers (but not using their calculations which can be flawed) and filling in estimates for unsigned players ( aforemetntioned DD and PK numbers plus 2012 numbers for Budaj and Dumont as minimal expectation for those roster spots) gets the 2013 -2014 number to about $67.7M of which about $2.3M is Galchenyuk bonus potential which could be pushed out a year if an issue.

This gets to about $65.4 M including Kaberle. Which gets to the whole “it almost forces you to buy out Kaberle” part of the equation.

If you do that then you can afford to fill roster spots with plausible options and commit dollars needed to sign DD and PK in any plausible scenario.

But also my point is that the issue is primarily a next year issue. I have been hoping to God that this is mainly about Bergevin not wanting his hands tied for next year, and not criminally undervaluing Subban or trying to exploit his RFA non eligible status (either of which bodes ill in so many ways)

To be clear if i were Bergevin I would probably be offering an 8 year $39M deal starting at $3.5M for the next couple of years and rising to $6M in his UFA years (avg cap hit at $4.875M) but I could understand if Bergevin wanted to avoid a crunch by splitting the immediate issue and the long term.

“Et le but!”

44. Steven says:

Now for your stirring the pot moment of the day…

Halak has 2 shutouts in 3 games, Price has 0 in just as many games.

…But Price has a noticeably better save percentage.

Discuss.

45. ohhhhhhhhhh91 says:

Marleau is unreal!

46. frontenac1 says:

So the Avs advertising 4tickets,4meals and 4drinks all for $99. Is that what they mean by Revenue Sharing?

• neumann103 says:

Absolutely.

In Toronto you can get the same deal…

for the Marlies

of course on the HomerVision telecast of the Panthers games they were advertising tickets starting at $7.

“Et le but!”

47. On the subject of Subban trade speculation, today marks the anniversary of the deal that would lock up Guy Lafleur.

Does Bergevin dare deal PK on the anniversary of Pollock’s best deal ever?

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

48. Habs64 says:

Doug MacLean: “I confirm that the #Flyers have made an offer for PK Subban that includes Sean Couturier.”

7 hours ago
    DarrenDreger: Little or no progress made in PK Subban contract negotiations. Habs firm on 2 year deal, roughly $5 mil total. Offer sheet? Trade? Options.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…CBC writes Subban offered PK $ 5.1 for 2 years

…hard to say if this is accurate, but if so, that sounds low-ball to Me

…if a short-term, like 2 years, then I think $ 3 to $ 3.5 sounds more reasonable, and if long-term, like 5 years, $ 4 to $ 5.5 million would be reasonable

…I would be surprised if PK signs for $ 2.5 million even if only for 2 years

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

50. ponyboy says:

Watching the debut of Scotty G. Crushed in the corner his first shift. Welcome back!!!

51. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Bordeleau just Creamed Gomez on his first shift!!

52. ohhhhhhhhhh91 says:

Scott Gomez wearing number 23 for the sharks

53. JohnBellyful says:

Glad to see Eller will be back in the lineup. People are speculating who will sit out if Pacioretty is healthy enough to play: Armstrong, White or Gallagher
    I say Budaj. The guy’s a bum. All he does is sit. Well, let him sit up in the pressbox … and designate Armstrong as the backup goalie. He can still play a regular shift, and should Price get hurt — fat chance, right — Armstrong can just skate over from the bench to the referee and tell him he’s entering the game as the new goalie. You know, like they do in the NFL, when a linebacker reports in, saying he’s going to line up as a receiver.
    I suppose I shoulda checked the rulebook before posting, but I’m pretty sure it’s allowed.

• Habfan10912 says:

But Budaj is great in the room and is never late to meetings.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Hey, Jim, he’s still allowed in the room and he can still attend meetings. Just in civvies. I think he’ll go for that. He’ll still collect a salary and won’t have to put on that heavy goalie stuff except for practices. Could revolutionize the game. Until Price gets hurt in a game. But I’m willing to take that risk.

• Habilis says:

It’s gotta be against the rules. Probably something about dressing two goalies (different regulations for equipment). Otherwise some crazed coach, down 0-3 in a playoff series or some such, would have tried it by now.

54. ed lopaz says:

everyone here who is critical of Subban, or who doesn’t support him, ends his post:

and anything over 3.5 or anything over 4.0, or anything over 4.25,
    is unacceptable.

people. you should give your heads a shake.

OUR GM of OUR team has offered PK 2.2 and 2.9.

if you are going to agree with the team’s position, at least own that position, and explain why Subban is worth 2.2 and 2.9,

compared to the over 700 players in the NHL.

• Dust says:

contracts signed after the lockout ended by young dman.
      Del Zotto 2.5
      Kulikov 2.5

both 2 year contrats

Seems to be the going rate now for good young Dman coming out of ELC’s.

• Mats Naslund says:

Seems reasonable… if you ignore all of the other comparable contracts signed by players with similar stats over the last few years. Tyler Myers, Drew Doughty, Jon Carlson, Victor Hedman. You can make a case for him anywhere between 2.5 and 6M. People get so wrapped up in the emotion of this issue they forget what the real issue is. Neither the team nor the player are being greedy. This is simply a case where the gap between perception of value is still too large for a deal to be made.

• twilighthours says:

I love you, Ed.

• jon514 says:

He’s worth a lot more. I’d like to see him get 8M over 2 years. That is ALSO less than he’s worth, but it will hopefully satisfy his ego while keeping him hungry for that franchise contract he’s gonna sign down the road.

Well actually I’d like to lock him up for 8 years, but that ain’t gonna happen.

• Chris says:

I find the whole number speculation somewhat pointless, either for those that support Subban or those that support Bergevin. We’re not in the room. We don’t know for sure what the number is.

Both guys are doing what they think is right. What a player is “worth” is not always an issue. David Desharnais certainly wasn’t “worth” $850,000 last season, and Max Pacioretty almost certainly isn’t “worth $1,625,000 this season. Both guys deserved more based on their play, and probably a lot less based on the global economy.

Let’s say the offer WAS $2.2 and $2.9 M respectively, numbers I find a little dubious.

If P.K. Subban has decided he can’t play for such “insulting” money despite the fact that the vast majority of other defenceman have done their time and paid their dues on comparable bridge contracts, he’s entitled to that position and the media and fan opinion both ways that goes with it.

If Marc Bergevin has decided he can’t offer Subban a long-term and big $$$ deal coming out of Subban’s entry-level deal despite the fact that most every other GM has found the guts to do it, he’s entitled to that opinion and the media and fan opinion both ways that goes with it.

55. frontenac1 says:

Here”s hoping Lars gets his juices going on Sunday. Sometimes ,he sort of looks stoned out there.

56. jon514 says:

Lars Eller deserves to have a 5 game stint before being re-evaluated. Galchenyuk and Gallagher are getting the same.

Eller has more than doubled his goal total from year to year. He’s still developing and his point a game in Finish Elite league shows that he has what it takes to be a top six player in this league.

I hate that Therrien, who I am starting to like, benched him and publicly called him out. Alienating him after the year he had last year, with the line-mates he had is just a waste.

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

I like what I’m hearing from Therien regarding Eller. JM would never talk like that.

58. WindsorHab-10 says:

Best news I’ve heard all week. Kaberle hit in the face.

59. Habilis says:

I’m getting a little tired of people claiming that PK hasn’t earned anything yet. There are 3 other defencemen in the NHL who are PK’s age (within a year) and who have signed long term deals. They are Drew Doughty, Tyler Myers and Erik Karlsson.

PK isn’t Drew Doughty, but nobody else is either. Karlsson is an offensive juggernaut but his physical game is light years behind PK’s. Myers is the closest comparable in my eyes, and maybe this is just me, but I’d take PK over Myers any day.

Bottom line, PK is good enough to be in that group of players.

• donmarco says:

He brings more offense than Doughty, more defense and grit than Karlsson and more stability than Myers. I’d rather have him than all 3 of them. In fact I can’t think of 5 NHL players I’d take over PK and his potential.

• Dust says:

well thats a homer comment. Doughty was a Norris finalist and better than PK in all aspects of Defense. Karlsson won the Norris last year.
        IF you can’t think of 5 nhl players you would take over Pk than you need to watch other teams besides the habs.
        PK is a good Dman. He is not Elite though

• Habilis says:

IMO, PK is elite if you consider his age.

I can name 5 defencemen I’d take over PK, no problem. But I can’t name 5 defencemen under the age of 25 that I’d take over PK. Can you?

• Dust says:

Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty, Letang, McDonagh off the top of my head. plus i think Hedman and Larrson will be as good as if not better than Subban. Dont get me wrong I like PK. I just dont think he is elite. anymore than 4 mil a year would be over paying him right now

• Habilis says:

Fair enough. I disagree on McDonagh and Letang (who is 25, turning 26 in april, I said under 25 but that’s close enough). Pietrangelo would be a toss up for me, but I haven’t seen him play much to be honest.

To each his own.

• twilighthours says:

So then, if this ends in a trade, we better get one of those 5 or 6 defensemen back. Otherwise, bad trade for us.

• Dust says:

yeah i wasn’t sure on Letangs age. Mcdonagh was kinda pushing it. i geuss i just see Pk in that 2nd tier of young Dman. Not that thats a bad thing. i think there should be only a few elite anyways

• K-hab25 says:

I was starting to wonder if I was in an insane asylum, I mean really over those 3, I don’t think so. PK isn’t in Doughty’s league, Karlsson just won the Norris and Myers is 6’8, skates aswell as Subban and is better offensively. Which by the way is why defenseman get paid alot, there offensive abilities. Defensive defenseman always get paid less.

• Steven says:

More offense than Doughty? I don’t think that’s fair to say.

Doughty’s rookie season was the only one that was noticeably worse than either of Subban’s 2 seasons. In his two seasons following, he was above PK’s best season’s points both times(and scored 16 goals in 2010, 2 more than PK’s 2011 total). Last season, he finished with the same amount of points, and more goals, on a team that couldn’t score for their life.

Subban’s great, but Doughty’s probably the better defenseman in most ways, and at a younger age.

• Mats Naslund says:

Isn’t that the entire point though?? It doesn’t matter if PK is better than Doughty, Myers or Karlson. He’s good enough to get paid at least NEAR what they’re getting. Seems like $2.5M is a low ball offer even if he isn’t exactly as good as those defenders. He was better than Jon Carlson and Victor Hedman last year and those guys make 3.9 & 5.5M respectively. To me, that is where the conversation begins. If it were me he’d have a 5 year 5M offer on the table tomorrow. If you’re going to pay Kaberle $4.5 to play 2nd powerplay and against the other team’s 4th line. You can find the money for PK to play against everyone else.

60. CCL says:

What’s wrong with some people on here. the team is playing good. leave it at that.

we’re not expecting miracles from this team just good hockey and so far that’s been the case.

61. jedimyrmidon says:

Tomorrow’s game is going to be a ‘devil’ of a test (ha ha…).

I remember the Habs getting forechecked to death last season. Hope the Habs can push back this year, and take advantage of them being without Parise (though no other team has been able to do so thus far).

62. von says:

I like Therrien’s comments about Eller but what about poor Weber? Or is that covered in the doom and gloom “we’ll see” prognosis of Kaberle? lol

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• Steeltown Hab says:

Weber deserves to get a shot, can’t tell me there’s much Kaberle has brought that he can’t.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• von says:

Agreed.

_________________________________

• K-hab25 says:

Ya I’d much rather see Weber out there than Kaberle. He has looked so slow and disintrested, like he wants to be somewhere else. I say we oblige him and trade him, or atleast put him in the pressbox. The best part of when Subban finally signs is there will be no more Kaberle.

• Phil C says:

Especially with Weber being right-handed shot, it gets one other guy on his natural side.

63. Marc10 says:

The Devils are going to be a great test. They’re a lunch pail crew that’s lost a bit of punch up front, but they’ve got Martin F in goals who just refuses to go away.

I’m keen to see if Therrien Hockey can put the vampire away. Should be good fun.

Fearless prediction: Habs 3 Marty 2

64. L Elle says:

I wouldn’t put too much stock in what RDS is reporting. This is the same RDS that had AK and SK in the mob. They did a really nice hatchet job on Price too, and now they are all kissing his a**. They were the first, starting last season, to assassinate PK’s character. They also proclaimed Markov to be finished, etc., etc.

Basically, they are paid for what we all do on HIO for free.
    Nice gig. ;)

• Steeltown Hab says:

100% Those guys aren’t credible on these outside sources/rumors or even evaluating game play in general.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• donmarco says:

I have this image once the blowhards finish recording L’Antichambre they all go home and watch themselves on PVR instead of their usual habit of watching soft core porn. Then their wives yell at them to take out the garbage, and they’re all “yes dear, mumble, mumble, mumble”.

65. “healthy competition, team spirit, we care” Who is this Therrien fella…he obviously got the memo :)

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• bwoar says:

I’m appreciating the new coach so far, I also think it’s an organizational change in philosophy. Glad to see it.

“thoroughbred”

• Steeltown Hab says:

I sense someone spoke to Therrien over this Eller thing because I wouldn’t say there has been healthy comp. Certainly plenty of guys have played bad and only Eller got the shaft. Really shocked by Desharnais’ play through 3 games, the time in Europe hasn’t given him any jump.

White on the other hand looks fresh and is flying out there. Deserves a permanent spot on the 4th be it C or W.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• bwoar says:

Very unlikely someone is telling Therrien how to coach at this point. Not if they’ve paid any attention to the games or the standings.

There’s a massive competition for ice time at centre. So far the better, more proven guys are winning. Eller win get a chance to win his place in the lineup, the coach has said so. When a team’s winning, it’s simply that much harder.

“thoroughbred”

• White is one of our hometown heroes, I’m a big fan (Brandon, not MTL), and DD is really off to a slow start, but it’s really early so who knows how it will turn out.

Not getting excited over this team yet, but I like what I saw the last two games. Even though the Caps and Panthers were flat, Montreal dominated and didn’t play down to their level like other years.

Sure does help to have a defenseman who shoots the puck and actually hits the net.

Taking the family bowling tonight. Hoping to see the Rags beat up on the Leafs while we’re there.

Stay frosty all, this has been one cold two weeks….

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

66. commandant says:

A look at the controversy around Yakupov’s celebration. A little tongue in cheek from BigMick.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

67. Steeltown Hab says:

Best distribution of talent that will never happen for tomorrows line up. (Note lines are not in order of 1-3, all pretty even)

Pacioretty-Eller-Galchenyuk
    Prust-Plekanec-Gionta
    Bourque-Desharnais-Cole

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• donmarco says:

I doubt very much that Therrien will put Galchenyuk on a wing. I don’t think he’ll tinker too much with the lineup from the past 2 games. Only injuries will force his hand.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Ya hence my “that will never happen”.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Galchenyuk back on the W at all though. He tore it up in Sarnia playing RW all yr, and it makes sense for the lineup, fits better as a winger for this yr than Eller.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• donmarco says:

Habs have to make a decision on him within the next 2 games. I’d say give him a ton of ice time, in all situations and see how he deals with it. I am sure the temptation is there to not burn a year of his EL status for a shortened season, unless he able to effectively play 15 minutes a game. And against all opposition, and not coddled like Therrien was praised for doing against the Caps.

• Steeltown Hab says:

What’s so bad about burning a yr I wonder. In theory if he goes back, gets 3 full seasons in before his next deal he’ll be at a point in production to command alot, 2 n half yrs might just just enough to save some cash long term.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• commandant says:

“coddled” NHL competition are still better players than anything he’ll face in the OHL by a lot.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

68. commandant says:

Kaberle has played over 30 minutes at 5 on 5 this season, and has been on the ice for 0 goals against… just saying.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• donmarco says:

Since we’ve only given up 1 ES goal this year your comment could apply to just about everybody. That said, no reason I can see why Kaberle should be in anyone’s doghouse. Yet. Seems we Hab fans just like to have a whipping boy.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Good point. Kaberle hasn’t looked great tho just evaluating game play. I think Weber deserves a game before PK is back, see what the guy can do, would be a better PP2 option than Kaberle or Bouillon and if you want to deal him he needs to be showcased somewhat.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• commandant says:

It absolutely applies to all our defencemen 5 on 5 who have been very good in that situation through three games.

I just see a lot of people give credit to 5 of those defencemen, and like to say how horrible Kaberle has been. Thats why i pointed it out with him specifically

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

69. habsmandes says:

What’s the crap about knocking Kaberle and other players, I wish these non-HABS fans would go post on another site. Kaberle’s been playing decent basic hockey for us, sure he’s made a few mistakes, but not much, heck everyone on the team’s made a few mistakes. Let the team grow instead of bitching all the time, encourage don’t discourage. How do you feel when someone is always criticizing your work even when you do good work.
    Say positive stuff sometimes.
    The saying says if you’ve got nothing good to say about someone, shut the fuck up.

70. Price07 says:

Eller will play either way. I’m guessing White would come out if Pacioretty is able to play.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Can’t fathom a single reason why White would come out of the lineup.

If we’re going by performance i’d go
      1. Armstrong
      2. Moen
      3. Desharnais

If by what make sense. probably have Gallagher sit a game, I’ve liked him so far but Eller will be in the top 9 and there’s no 5-game limit with Gallagher.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Loonie says:

I’ve probably been the biggest critic of the Armstrong signing here, but he’s played very well in his role thus far.

If anybody should come out of the lineup in should be White, Moen, Gallagher. In that order.

• HersheyHab says:

I’ve probably watched over 70 Habs games/year for over 40 years and I follow this site quite extensively though I hardly ever post. I just wanted to mention that it’s always great to see very knowledgeable posters who are able to self-critique. Well-done. Besides, you are correct – Armstrong has been outstanding on the penalty kill, with Moen seeming slow. White: mixed feelings – not doing much hockey-wise and is taking too many penalties, but his presence as a tough hombre who ‘has your back’ is hard to replace. I’d give Gallagher more time.

• donmarco says:

Therrien seems to really like White. I thought he could have really put us in a hole with his reaction to Fleishman’s hit, but Therrien didn’t seem to kind it. Doubt he be’ll sat.

71. derfab says:

Yuk Yuk or Gally-chuk or whatever you guys call the kid will sit. Or Gallagher could be sent down. Yuk Yuk only gets to play 5 before they decide on him so they may delay things by letting him sit one or two…

72. derfab says:

Gotta keep the PK thing going…are we sure it wasn`t Subban who hit Kaberle?

73. donmarco says:

So if Pax is healthy, does Eller sit? If Eller and Pax play, who’s out?

74. Mattyleg says:

First Pax, now Kabs…

We’re finished! It’s all over!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

75. citizenSanto says:

Too many crabs in the bucket.

—————————————
    Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

76. frontenac1 says:

I know and he should keep it on IMO. One slapper to the mug and it could be Mushville.

77. neumann103 says:

Hey,why the snark?

The promo I saw contained no details, “just tickets from $7″. My only first hand experience with Pathers tickets was a Same Day purchase for a Saturday game about 10 years ago against the Oilers in the first row of the upper bowl precisely on the Center ice line. For $50. So actually a nosebleed on a Wednesday special promotion vs Columbus for $7 might seem plausible.

The Panthers actually do a pretty good job of online marketing because I was on their email list for a number of years purely from that purchase.

As to Frontenac’s original point, the problem with the current NHL business model is revenue sharing in a gate driven league. The NFL can succeed because they split the massive TV money evenly even though no one thinks that TV ratings are equally driven by the Kansas City Chiefs and the New York Jets. It is an entirely different issue when you are asking the ticket buyer in Toronto to spend $280 for a ticket so that the Florida Panthers can afford to sell a similar seat for $50.

“Et le but!”

78. jols101 says:

I hope you are correct Sir, however I understand if they send him back. I think he will stay though, Therrien seems to enjoy having a side mentor project.

79. SlovakHab says:

It was a clear Too Many Men penalty.

80. Propwash says:

If their last game tells anything, the choke should happen soon enough.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

81. Strummer says:

before you puke take note of the pigs flying overhead.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

82. Tis Himself says:

FYI: If you ever think a family member has appendicitis ask them to try to hop on one leg, I am not sure if it is the left or the right, and you will know immediately. I only learned that after one of my son’s appendix burst. Thank God for modern medicine, he is alright!

83. citizenSanto says:

… or the monkeys flying out of my butt.