Eighth HI/O summit planned for Nov. 29th

The upcoming hockey season might not be top of mind for every Habs fan in mid-July. But Ian Cobb is looking ahead to late fall–Saturday, Nov. 29th to be precise.

That’s the date of the upcoming Hockey Inside/Out summit being organized once again this year by Cobb, an HI/O member. The annual summit draws fans from far and wide who follow the team on The Gazette’s hockeyinsideout.com.

It’s the eighth summit since the website was launched in 2006. (It wasn’t held during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season.) Plans for this year’s summit include attending the Buffalo Sabres-Canadiens game on Nov. 29th at the Bell Centre.The game will mark the return of former Canadiens’ captain Brian Gionta and defenceman Josh Gorges to the Bell Centre.

On the Friday evening at the meet-and-greet gathering people can watch the first game of the home-and-home series with the Sabres, Cobb said. Saturday’s agenda includes a pregame meal and raffle to benefit the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation.

Close to 200 members of the HI/O community attended last year’s summit.

“Each and every year it’s grown,” Cobb said, adding “really tight bonds have developed through the site.”

For more details about the event, people can visit Cobb’s summit Facebook page by clicking here or by email at: cobbiangrant@yahoo.ca

(File photo: John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs’ Prust gears up for charity golf event by, Dave Stubbs

1. Cal says:

In honour of the upcoming Summit, here’s a little ditty.

2. Slackman says:

Im with UCE. I’m not as articulate as he is so ill just say soccer is about as exciting as watching NOTHING HAPPEN TO NOBODY IN PARTICULAR.

it’s like watching grass grow.

paint dry.

I’d rather contemplate where farts go when they stop being stinky…

or ponder why “w’ is called double u when in reality it looks more like 2 v’s. The French are on the ball with this one!!

sorry if i’ve offended the soccer dudes (on the hockey forum no less) but yeah i can’t stomach 90 minutes of divas prancing around hamming it up when some other diva brushes by him, lightly grazing his elbow (you soccer players probably understand how this can be excruciating.)

Just thought i’d weigh in even though you probably don’t care about what i say anyways.

———————————————————————————–
    “A Gypsy mutant industrial vacuum cleaner dances about a mysterious night time camp fire. Festoons. Dozens of imported castanets, clutched by the horrible suction of its heavy duty hose, waving with marginal erotic abandon in the midnight autumn air.”

3. Habs Lover 1969 says:

Just heard that Patrice Brisebous has left the Habs .

4. UKRAINIANhab says:

So lots to talk about regarding the Habs eh?

. . .

Ummmm so…. Ugh Whos will be the next captain?

Yawn.

5. Lafleurguy says:

Nice to have an irony board when doing dirty laundry in public.

Little time! I have received 60 so far!

Bell Center cuts us off and I must give my order pay them on the 28th.
    For special Summit game tickets. Send money order with your self addressed (stamped) envelope.

All information is on this link below.
    USA members, Canadian stamp, or add a couple bucks. courier is the fastest.!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

7. habstrinifan says:

@Mavid/Ian/Habfan10912 or anyone.

Ready to assist Mavid and send Ian the fees for her ticket(s) with mY money order which I will be sending by priority post on Monday @9am.

My email is jimlyaw@rogers.com.

Mavid can email me with the particulars… how many tickets and what level.

She can also include info for me to prepare a self addressed stamped envelopE FOR HER or she can contact Ian for her tickets when she returns.

This way Mavid you can relax and settle with me at the summit or whenever.

Again my email is jimlyaw@rogers.com.

I am doing house painting so while I am onsite daily I dont stay long.

Pls Ian or Habfan10912 or anyone who can reach Mavid let her know ASAP.

tHK YOU!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

8. HabFab says:

To help pass the summer, the first Top 30 Prospects;

9. Garbo says:

Which sport involves more acting. Soccer or pro wrestling?

10. shiram says:

Soccer ain’t so bad.

it’s always like that, right?

I am decidedly on Team UCe. Have at thee Chrisians.

12. JohnBellyful says:

Unbelievable! Our two most articulate, thoughtful posters, UCE and Chris, going at each other hammer and tong. And the language!
    I thought UCE was out of bounds calling Chris a “Boeotian piece of cerumen.”
    And Chris, was it really necessary to refer to UCE as “effluvium of the first order?”
    (And you even included a smiley! Talk about waving a red flag!)
    When you see two Titans like those two tangling, well, then you’ve seen everything.
    I hope they cool down and put this unfortunate set-to behind them.

I couldn’t resist:

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Parenteau
    Sekac – Plekanec – Bourque
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
    Prust – Malhotra – Weise

• shiram says:

needs moar grit and size

• JohnBellyful says:

Sure, if you want this team to tank. Sheesh.

• punkster says:

I usually don’t enter in to the line combos conversations but…since it’s HH and I tend to butt heads at times I have to say…

I like.

Wait…butt heads or buttheads?

Release the Subbang!!!

• Cal says:

It’s going to be fun to see how this all plays out. There’s no room at the inn for many on the team’s roster.

• petefleet says:

I like the 4th line. Is Malholtra fast enough to play with those two?

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
      Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
      Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• THE ABSOLUTE_TRUTH says:

Bourque would be my only concern. Not a bad job in the playoffs, regular season pretty much sucks. With those lines another good scorer on the right side with Plekanec, not a bad lineup and the EGG line back together, we could do some damage…

14. frontenac1 says:

Can’t shake this cold for the past week. Vodka ain’t doing it for me. I’m going Nuclear with a bottle of Single Malt. Cure me or Kill me baby!

From Calgary’s own famous teacher! Robert Hing.

So sad I’m gonna miss it this season. It literally pains me to miss out on this special celebration. I hope everyone has a blast and appreciates the amazing weekend that is the HIO Summit!!!
    It’s a huge part of what makes being a Habs fan so special and none of it would be possible without Ian! Be grateful, Habs fans! Be very grateful!!

Single Malt Scotch works for me Robert!–Ian

Sean Mcindoe (Down Goes Brown) with an analysis of all the teams offseasons thus far.

Cut off date is the 28th of July. Little time!

I must receive your money order on or before the 28th for special Summit game tickets. With your self addressed (stamped) envelope.

All information is on this link. USA members, Canadian stamp, or add a couple bucks. courier is best!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

So in light of the golf talk, just had lunch with my buddy who was in the Cory Conacher golf tournament yesterday. Turns out newly minted Peter Holland of the Leafs hit a hole in one at the tournament yesterday and despite the new 1 way contract bailed on buying the post game beers which is the tradition in golf when hitting a hole in one.

Apparantly his friends were ripping him pretty hard. Funny story.

19. Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, no one needs to be obsessively anti-soccer. It’s not like refusing to succumb to sushi and Japanese cuisine, or Lyle Lovett. You don’t have to cultivate a hatred, or force yourself to remain willfully blind, lest you stray. Soccer has an infinite, innate capacity to repel and to bore. The most casual, unaligned fan can easily decide on casual inspection that it’s a ridiculous, sometimes painful shlock-fest to watch.

I, being of fair and sound mind, gave the World Cup an honest try. I watched the opening game featuring Brazil, since they’re historically a more artistic, entertaining team to watch, and I thought there’d be a bonus in terms of the home crowd. If I remember correctly it finished at 1-0, a complete snoozefest.

Further, all the caricatures about soccer, about the bumbling referees, about the diving, the histrionics, about the slow pace of the game, about the few scoring chances and exciting moments, they were all there on display. The caricature is the game, and the game is the caricature. It’s like trying to get people who hate hockey and complain about goonery and mock toothless Canadians, by sitting them down to watch a game with fourty Bobby Clarkes going at it.

So I blew off some steam on HIO, promised I wouldn’t watch any more. And a couple days later, flipping through the channels, with nothing else on, I tuned in a game. For two minutes. In that time, I saw three shambling, fumbling, nonsensical throw-ins, immediately followed by a player purposefully knocking the ball out of bounds. With no repercussions or penalty, except to the spectacle and the sanity of viewers.

I shut off the TV and went to re-organize the crawlspace.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

It finished 3-1…was actually an exciting game the opener.

• PrimeTime says:

UCE, its ok to admit your ignorance! When you don’t understand the game and its complexities its easy to not appreciate its competitive and entertainment value. My daughter plays varsity CIAU Soccer, her club teammate who she has playeed with since the age of 9 was named to the Womens World Cup team yesterday, at the age of 16. Some people get it…..some never will. As with everything, people who knock others for their views are likely unhappier……I guess when you spend a good part of everyday on a blog, the obvious appears….small minds live in small worlds!

• frontenac1 says:

You might have a point there amigo. I say the same thing to Mrs Front about Pro Wrestling. She doesn’t get it either.
        They are fantastic athletes and better actors than Soccer players. Plus it ends faster.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I used to love wrestling too, until Vince McMahon robbed the Honky-Tonk Man of his Intercontinental championship belt. That’s the day the music died.

As if the Honky Tonk Man, who wielded the most devastating move in wrestling, the Shake, Rattle and Roll, and wasn’t above, when the situation was dire and the breaks were going against him, to breaking out the El Kabong!, would have been bettered by that puffed-up mockery known as the Ultimate Warrior.

Unless it was an inside job. The fix was in.

I lost my innocence that day, and went into politics.

• JohnBellyful says:

Speaking of ignorance … you can’t make a point without being graceless?

• Cal says:

She left him a long time ago.

• JohnBellyful says:

It was all the little notes he left around the house:

You missed a spot.
            This mirror needs cleaning.
            Please do NOT turn up the heat without consultation.
            The blue socks go in the RIGHT drawer.
            You put the toilet paper in wrong again, it’s over the top. OVER!
            There’s a bit of gunk on the ketchup spout.
            When I turned on the TV, you had left it on the Cosmo channel!
            Too much starch, not enough softener.
            Where did you put my little note pads?

• HardHabits says:

JB… u calling PT passive-aggressive?

• JohnBellyful says:

I, I, I, I’m not calling PT anything. Just, ah, asking Barnum a question, that’s all, hoping to satisfy one’s curiousity. No imputation intended.

• bwoar says:

You don’t seem all that happy yourself sometimes, PT.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Un Canadien errant JUNE 12, 2014 AT 11:57 PM

Okay, so out of respect for a few of our members on HIO and a friend, coworker and former roommate of mine, I watched a match of football, between the side of Brazil and the eleven of Croatia, and I kept an open mind even though I knew it would suck as they loafed around the pitch and gesticulated, and sure enough it did suck. So no more of that, if I want to waste two hours in a less painful manner, I’ve got all manner of hot sauces and sharp objects I can put in my eye.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Just ignore PrimeTime. You are a great poster and lucky to have you on this site.

How can you keep on open mind if you “knew it would suck” though?
          If you don’t like it you do not need to let everyone know. Sortive like how I hate Baseball. Does not mean I need to make a post about how boring Baseball is, because I am sure some people like it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s me ladling on the irony really thick. I’m implicitly admitting I’m not an unbiased observer.

• Chris says:

Normand: No question it isn’t for everybody. I’m cool with people not liking it. Huge numbers of the world’s population find hockey painfully dull, and while I don’t agree, I can see where they are coming from. If you look at hockey objectively, it can be a pretty stupid sport: the hooking and grabbing, the embellishment, the god-awful dump-and-chase game, the senseless fighting, the juvenile face-washes after ever whistle, teams intentionally giving the puck away on the majority of their line changes, phantom penalty calls and blatant penalties ignored, the disappearing scoring because of the size of goaltender equipment relative to the size of the net…there is a litany of reasons to tune out from hockey.

But if you can get by that, there are even more things to love: the speed of the game that is permitted by the uniqueness of skating, the stick-handling and creativity, the body-checking, the vision exhibited by the players, and most of all the knowledge that every single shot has a chance to bounce or deflect and go in…you can’t match that nervous feeling you get watching a playoff sudden-death overtime game in any sport. A lot of the things I can appreciate about hockey are partially because I grew up playing the sport…I can appreciate the skill required to do some of the things that NHL players are doing, so the lack of goals don’t bother me at all, unlike the most casual fans in the southern US, for example.

Since I’ve played soccer my whole life, I can appreciate many of the things that more casual fans find boring. Like hockey, I don’t need goals to find the game beautiful. A long pass impeccably controlled by a player in full-stride. The power generated by players on their headers even while fighting off 3 or 4 other players and travelling the opposite direction. The footwork in traffic, and the vision and touch to place a ball perfectly into space for a player to run onto. The intricate passing (which so many find boring) eventually opening up a seam that can be exploited. (This is something that ultimate frisbee aficionados can most appreciate.)

Regarding golf, you aren’t really competing against other people in that they don’t really impact your score. You are competing against a course. Because of that, it isn’t really a spectator sport for me. Of all the athletic activities I have tried, golf and tennis require the most mental fortitude: you KNOW that you are going to make a terrible shot occasionally, and how you recover from that will determine how you progress.

I love tennis, because in that sport I can at least blame the other person (“Nice shot!”) when I flub something. In golf, you have nobody else but yourself…I don’t do well with only having myself to blame! :)

The opponent contribution to tennis makes it very enjoyable for me. I love the way Roger Federer hits a tennis ball, the way he moves on the court and the variety of shots. And as much as it frustrates me, I know that none of that matters much if he draws Rafa Nadal, whose style of play is the rock to Federer’s scissors.

But golf is the one apparently popular North American sport that I just can’t do. I’ll watch cycling (another sport most North Americans find painfully dull). I’ll watch soccer. I’ll watch handball. I get frustrated by rugby, because I find the rules are somewhat arbitrarily enforced as a casual observer, but I do admire the sport itself. I love sports like cross-country skiing, biathlon, luge and bobsleigh, etc.

Pretty much the only mainstream sport that I can’t watch is golf. I’m sure I’m missing something, because so many other intelligent people really seem to enjoy it.

• krob1000 says:

IF the world had full access to hockey they would not find it painfully dull. Anyoen I know who is as good at hockey as they are another sport prefers hockey. Soccer is popular because of its ability to relate to anyone, it is a slow paced game that has a low cost and virtually everyone can play. Hockey is limited to people who can access it and can afford it unfortunately. A person who has never seen soccer can pretty simply follow that game…if you do not understand hockey you can’t even see the puck.
        I played rep in hockey, baseball, basketball and soccer and in every sport there were guyw who crossed over …and any of them that were as good at hockey as the others eventually ended up playing hockey longer and still do.

I appreciate the skill in soccer but the lack of speed , aggression and overall spectacles are far fewer and far between. Hockey IMo is comparable to football (NFL style)…most of the world is not into this phenomenon because they do not play it…but those who do absolutely love it…..and those who do not have no idea why everyone is just piling up and smashing into each other…they do not understnad the gaps and play design,etc. Also footballl accomodates athletes and persons of all shapes and sizes to some extent.

Hockey IMO combines the footwork of soccer, the physicality of football, the hand eye coordination of baseball and chess like decision making at high speed…..to me it is the most compete sport out there and I say this not just as a hockey fan but as someone who has tried virtually every sport and love tehm (not so tsay you haven’t but I do not find sports tht are mainly endurance sports that great…liek cycling anor do I like “racing” where the vehicle is a horse, car or ike where something other than the athlete can dictate teh outcome…same with sleds)…..oddly enough I do agree that Tennis is up there though….I absolutely loved tennis when I was younger…only problem with tennis is you need someone very close to you in ability to make it fun. I used to spend whole days at the local courts with a frined of mine when we were 12-15 and we would play to stay on the court and some days literally play ofr hours on end against university students and adults….it was awesome…and it combines all of the elements I mentioned of hockey except the phsyicality….to me it is a pretty complete sport…but another issue with it is the limited number of players involved at any one time so it doesn’t have the broad team appeal of the others and won;t draw big numbers to play at any given time.
        The possesion game in soccer is very boring by any standard relative to hockey…beter than many sports though IMO. The other action going on in hockey, the bodychecking, the the fact a typical game has 10 times as many shots in a fraction of the time is also pretty important as well. This does not mean soccer is boring…it means relative to a sport as fast as hockey it seems that way.

• sheds88 says:

having played soccer my entire childhood, and hearing the non-stop complaining, thank you for this post. if most people stepped on the pitch for even a minute, they would appreciate the skill involved

• Chris says:

Spain’s tiki-taka drove so many people to boredom, but I was absolutely enthralled by what they were doing. The athleticism, speed, and movement that they were using at their peak was peerless. I was always amazed that so many soccer fans, let alone casual sports fans, could find that style boring.

• krob1000 says:

At least Germany was aggressive in maintaining a ppossession philosophy…I was more impressed wtih them trying to attack whitle still rarely giving up the ball….until the final that is where they started being ultra conservative and personally I thought Argentina outplayed them…they just couldn’t get Messi theball enough in dangeous spots and were depleted lineup wise. That possession game is what drives me nuts….I almost wish there was a frigging shot clock in soccer…that might make it more interesting! If hey shortened the field, had a shot clock, adn removed a couple bodies from each team I would find it more entertaining…I actually love watching indoor soccer
            When we were younger I went to shcool with apredominantyl Portuguese group (nearly half my class) and we palyed “hogbal” every recess…it was awesome!It was foot hockey witha tennis ball, you could take a step with it if your goalie threw it to you or you caught a bouncing ball but you could not throw it in the net or passiit with your hand…but you could catch it and htrow it to a spot, pivot,etc….it was great…way more fun than the actual sosccer I played!!Don’t get me wrong I loved soccer when I was playing it but even then I NEVER watched it.

20. Lagerhab says:

Note sure if this has been posted yet but A Malaysian airliner was shot down over Ukraine today, 295 people lost!

21. bwoar says:

Wow, it’s Tiger IO today! Why not, eh? Nothing doing much elsewhere.

Not sure if cheating on your wife makes you a terrible human being, more like makes you a lousy father. Great golfer though. Lots of musicians are better on the drugs than off, too. I think a lot of virtuosos need to be more careful about starting families. Glad I’m not good at anything that’d make me rich.

Golf’s not my thing to watch, but golf courses are great. Tell me you’re gonna have a fun midnight romp in the ol’ indoor hockey rink? Nah, it’s gonna be on the 10th green, next to the 2nd bunker in a low spot. So as for having more than one use, let’s just not count that out. Soccer pitches just don’t have the same ambiance.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Plus, if you do it on the golf course, there’s so much pesticide that your birth control needs are automatically covered.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

Well not so fast, they do use a lot of fertilizers also.
        I wonder which one would win out?
        Better be safe than sorry kids, use protection.

• bwoar says:

Sometimes even that birth control fails, but the kids tell me the extra limb is worth it. I hear 1 in 10 get really lucky and grow a not-unattractive tail! I’d be jealous by my prehensile tongue keeps the wife and I pretty happy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s more than cheating on his wife. It was trying to pass off publicly as the perfect family man, at the top of his game, on top of the world, while he waged an orchestrated campaign to sleep with every porn star in America. He had handlers who would set up ‘dates’ with adult film stars, checking them off a list, while he also went after cocktail waitresses, as front puts it, and Tiger groupies.

Some will say he’s only human, they’d probably do the same if they had his opportunities, but his behaviour went beyond cheating, to recklessness and chronic compulsion. He wrecked his marriage, humiliated his wife, and his kids are going to have to live with the taunts and his failings always available on Google.

I’m not a prude, I can overlook marital infidelity, I can sympathize with the travails of the Clintons, for example, but Tiger was way out of bounds. I don’t like or respect him at all anymore, can’t take him seriously or anything he says.

He had a responsibility to his fans, to his sport, and to his sponsors who made him ludicrously wealthy, and he knowingly, impetuously let them all down.

• Cal says:

It’s a classic case of thinking with the shortest iron in the bag.

• bwoar says:

I can’t him seriously, but I don’t really grudge the over-the-top hypocrisy that much. (Almost) everyone is a great family man until they aren’t. Cheating on your spouse seems the same to me whether it’s a boardroom tryst after hours or Tiger’s Travelling Circus. The level of money involved simply alters the scope and the resulting spectacle.

I feel for the guy’s kids, to the degree that wealth doesn’t buy you a good family. It bothers me that people do stuff that’s gonna be a permanent embarrassment. A father ought to take his children’s lives into account more than his own gratification.

As for his fans, his sponsors, and the sport: he doesn’t owe anyone a damn thing. He’s made a lot of people a lot richer. I don’t think top athletes should be held to higher standards than anyone else.

• Cal says:

Tiger should have remained single and partied as hard as he could for as long as he could. Putting out a “good guy” image, it was only a matter of time before he was found out.
          His image should have been that of a playboy party animal, like that Tommy Lee.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“a boardroom tryst after hours ”

That happens? I always wondered why they have those big sturdy tables.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• bwoar says:

They’re less sturdy than they look. No one’s encouraged to stay after hours after the first one breaks.

EDIT: This applies equally to pool tables. Do NOT tempt the pool table gods when the mood takes you.

• JohnBellyful says:

I believe his contracts with sponsors included a good conduct clause, so he did owe them a damn thing. Which is why they were able to end them.
          I could be wrong.

• bwoar says:

Touche!

I always wondered why he didn’t go full heel turn ala pro wrestling and just get all new sponsors of a different kind. Embrace it and move on!

22. Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens are ranked 18th in the league in ‘centre strength’ by Allan Muir.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

23. punkster says:

Good thing hockey facilities are so environmentally friendly.

Release the Subbang!!!

24. krob1000 says:

Re the contract discussion below…a lot of wonky contracts being signed….where is this confidence the cap is going that high coming from? There are several examples of crazy contracts that seem awfully dependant on a dramatically rising cap. Sure teh TV deal is kicking in but even this year the projected cap hit was 2 million less than anticiapted….I think some of these deals may soon be regretted. I can’t see the cap going up enough to justify the dollars being thrown around. very odd witht he overpayments and the number of other ones that appear to be huge bargains…can’t help wonder if places like Edmonton and Buff have to pay more to have guys sing there long term ast hey aren; tthe most popular destinations.

• B says:

I recall reading that the PA pushed to keep the cap about $2M lower ($69M instead of $71M) this coming season, something to do with keeping the escrow withholding down.

Many claim that Montreal has to pay higher salaries to compensate for the very high taxes (highest in the league?)

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chris says:

Montreal’s are the highest, but the competitive disadvantage has gone way down with recent tax changes at the federal level in the US. I believe that Edmonton and Calgary are now the lowest tax jurisdictions in the NHL.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The places with the lowest tax rates: Alberta, Nashville, Phoenix, Florida, aren’t marquis destinations.

The American states with the highest tax are California and NY, and they are very desirable places to play. Obviously, players want to play for good teams. Income tax isn’t a consideration.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• krob1000 says:

True but Montreal is now becoming a place players want to go now that the organization is doing well. The late 90’s and early 2000’s realyl did a number on the teams image..
        I am seeing so many more Hab jerseys and fans pop up…when I play pickup in Kingston now I see far more Habs jerseys than I do Leafs…that has not been thecase in my lifetime ever before around here. In the last month I have played with people wearing Gallagher, Galcheyuk, Morenz!, Lafleur, Subban, Shutt, Pacioretty, Roy(though the guy was playing out)….and that is in the last month at pickup hockeys and not counting just plain Hab jerseys. Habs are popluar again …a little success does that for you….2 semi finals in recent years and a good showing in the reg season of lockout and being Canda’s top team in recent years are doing wonders for the Habs IMO.

25. Chris says:

I’ve always found my mind boggled by the number of North Americans that are obsessively anti-soccer, yet who can actually sit down and watch somebody play golf.

Personally, I don’t really give a fig about Tiger Woods. Phenomenal player, less ideal of a person…but as Rob pointed out, you probably shouldn’t dig too deep in professional athletes’ lives if you are looking for model citizens.

For me, golf is this interesting thing that people with excess money do to burn some hours of time. The ridiculous cost and the massively detrimental environmental impact of that particular past-time are more than enough to keep me from ever partaking.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m not so sure about the environmental impact argument.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

Yah, have a hard time believing an indoor hockey arena is better for the environment than a golf course.

• shiram says:

Water to keep the courses green, a whole lot of water.
        Tons of pesticides and fertilizers.
        There’s also the destruction of natural environments to create the courses.
        It can mess with animals habitats, and bird migration paths.

Damn those outdoor sports, they are out to ruin this planet.

• shiram says:

Honestly I’m not pro or against golf, or their courses, was just listing the stuff I heard about before.

But I do think it’s different for a soccer filed compared to a golf course, if anything the golf course will take up much more space, and usually are plopped in more rural/natural places than soccer field, or other out door sports.

• Chris says:

One of the big differences is that most soccer fields are not watered…at least the ones I play on! Damn things are concrete in summer.

Some golf courses are a bit more responsible at not trying to cater to golfers’ Augusta Syndrome, but most sadly are not.

• Chris says:

Golf courses world wide consumed 9.5 billion litres of water per day in 2011, enough to provide 2/3 of the world’s population with the UN daily minimum standard of drinking water.

As you said…a whole lot of water. :)

• shiram says:

Well yes, but I know there is a movement to use non potable water and even some rain collection to irrigate the courses.

• Chris says:

There are a lot of efforts underway to try to reduce the environmental impact, but it is always going to be obscenely big.

Contrasting golf courses with sports fields is illustrative:

Golf courses are used for one thing only: golf. Most courses would never dream of letting people walk their dogs on the course. They would never allow people from sports as varied as cricket, ultimate frisbee, soccer, football, or baseball use their lands. While I suspect many golfers would probably not object, I have not heard of many courses where you are likely to find people out sunbathing, reading books or just lazing about.

Those are all things that happen on the soccer field that I play on each week.

• Chris says:

Golf’s negative environmental impact is pretty well-documented. Massive consumption of fresh-water, heavy use of pesticides and fertilizers, alteration of local water tables, deforestation and removal of native species, increased runoff and sedimentation, negative impacts on local fauna…it is a long list.

Some of those are true for other urban developments, including housing projects, and agriculture certainly has many if not all of those negatives.

The main difference is that golf is a leisure activity, while agriculture is required to feed the population and housing projects are necessary for shelter (although I am certainly no fan of urban sprawl…people need to give up the sense of entitlement to a house with a yard in this country).

Golf has gotten better, particularly in the United States, at managing its environmental impact and trying to address some of the concerns. But it will always be a high impact activity.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yeah. I love Golf and Soccer. No point, fighting over who like swhich more

• Rugger says:

The thing that turns me off about golf is the lack of a sense of humor. My dad took up golf when he was about 50, I went a few times with him and had a great time hitting the ball into the woods and ponds and laughing about it. It was not looked upon as proper because I did not take it seriously enough. As for soccer, I played a bit in High School but after finding rugby lost all interest in it. I don’t hate it, just find it very boring.

• krob1000 says:

I think it is because there is constant change during a golf match, every shot matters where you have to wait so long and sometimes a goal never comes in soccer and the rest is not as exciting to me anyways. In golf over the course of 4 hours you will see countless birdies, eagles, great shots, terible shots,etc…soccer the great majority of the game is passing and ball control…it isn’t that exciting…is soccer fun to play? absolutely…but to watch? I can’t get into it. I love condensed soccer games whee they show most of the action and there were some games this time around that were far more entertaining then normal….but I will tell you what I really enjoyed watching was the indoor soccer! that was exciting.

Soccer is also competing for many of the same athletes as hockey and the way it is becoming anymore kids are being forced to choose one or the other as both have become year round sports at competitive levels. HOckey is viewed as Canada’s game (by Canadians)and soccer is viewed as a global game.

The amount of action and pace of hockey is hard to deny…unless I am watching for every one of Tiger’s shtos I like Golfto be on in the background…much like baseball…it is a comforting background sport to me…soccer? the sound of a soccer game crowd annoys me…again…probably fun as could be if I was there…but just not something I want to watch or have on in the background.

• shiram says:

I have to say going to a practice range and just shooting golf balls is entertaining, though I’m quite bad at it.

I would never play a 9 or 18 hole course though, for me, it would be better to just walk around in a forest and enjoy the nature.

• frontenac1 says:

You think Golf is boring?? You got to give it a go amigo.

• ont fan says:

Actually having to hit every shot in golf is the key. You rely on no one else to save you. Frustrating. Expensive, yes. Unlike going to a less pricey hockey game a few times a year or being a season ticket holder. I see all the subdivisions where there used to be farms and all the head land out in the counties with huge houses taking up space, that makes me cringe. Watching soccer, baseball or golf is all in the eye of the beholder.

• Chris says:

The subdivisions make me cringe, too. I would rather see a lot more density in cities and maintain more public green space for everybody to enjoy.

26. JohnBellyful says:

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon [accepts call passed on by executive assistant]: Hello, Gary, what a nice surprise! We don’t often get to chat. In fact, I think this is the first time we’ve ever talked. Sorry. I’m the one who’s doing all the talking. What can I do for you?
    NHL commissioner Gary Bettman: Stuff the small talk, for one thing. Don’t play coy with me, Cohon. What’s the big idea, your strictly small potatoes outfit trying to make my league look rinky-dink?
    Cohon: What are you talking about?
    Bettman: You know what I’m talking about. Someone emailed me that column by Suitor on the TSN website. Here, I’ll read it back for you, [sneeringly] in case you’ve forgotten what YOU ghost-wrote:
    “After three weeks this season penalties are up by 31 per cent overall, which is a huge jump. However, when you dig a little deeper into the numbers, we shouldn’t be surprised. Of the 31 per cent increase this year, ‘player safety fouls,’ are leading the way. Penalties like unnecessary roughness, roughing the passer, face masking, and sportsmanship-related fouls like taunting are driving the increase. When you consider what is happening in North America when it comes to player safety in contact sports, we shouldn’t be surprised that calls that are designed to protect the players, sometimes from themselves, are up dramatically. It is going to take time for players to understand what is a legal hit, and what is not, when they have trained their whole lives to hit a certain way, especially when we are talking about the hits on the quarterbacks.
    So before we start chanting, ‘ref you suck,’ from the stands, remember that the Players’ Association have negotiated player safety items into their new collective bargaining agreements and have made it a priority. It is the players who must change their behaviour, and better understand what is – and isn’t – a legal hit, and play with more discipline. They voted it into their own agreements. For now, if the officials err, they will err on the side of protecting the players because that has been mandated by the league and the CFLPA.”

Where the hell do you get the gall to show up the NHL? We pay our fourth-line players more than your teams do its entire roster, more people watch our games in a week than do yours in an entire season, and you think you know better than us how to run a league? Consider this a warning, Cohon. Stick to figuring how to get rid of one owner for two teams, and new stadiums built on time, and leave the big boy stuff to us. Or else. [slams the phone]
    [A few minutes later, phone rings]
    Cohon [answers himself, thinking it's Bettman calling to apologize after cooling down]: Gary, I’m glad you called back, I’m sure it was all a misun
    Caller: Shaddup, Mohron, this ain’t Bettman. It’s Don Fehr and I’ve got a bone to pick with you, next tim
    [Cohon slams down phone]

27. punkster says:

I thoroughly enjoy watching Tiger play…each and every shot he takes is like a mini lesson for a hacker like me.

To me, Tiger was a more than suitable successor on the course to Nicklaus, who was for years my favorite.

I’d be thrilled to see him win more tournaments, majors or otherwise.

Release the Subbang!!!

28. frontenac1 says:

Johnny Winter passes away at age 70. He was the real deal. Rest in Peace amigo.

29. shiram says:

We’re all hoping our young players take major steps for the next season, the constant conversation about putting Chucky at C is proof of our hope.

But I’m hoping for big things from Bournival this year, he’s got the work ethic and skills to put in a better season. He seems to do good on the defensive side of things, but I’d like to see him more involved offensively.
    He looked good when he played with Plekanec, and he could be an upgrade on Moen, who often got shifts with Pleky, but Moen seems to be a on downward fall.

Maybe it was the concussions though.

Anyways, I like Bourni, and I hope he is afforded a better chance to showcase his skills.
    He forced the teams hands in keeping him last season, and that’s a good sign.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Bournival but he does need to work on his shooting. You are bang on with the work ethic. He gives it his all and is good in his own zone.

I just hope his offensive side does improve. He started off on fire last year and then cooled off pretty quickly.

It was his first year in the NHL last year and he has the speed and heart. Training camp will be major for him though as he also is not a lock anymore with some of the kids coming up. He is still on an ELC and could start in Hamilton.

That happened to LL and he never really made it back. I am not saying that this will happen but it could

• shiram says:

Well he was played in more offensive roles at the start, but was quickly put on the fourth.
        IIRC.

I’m thinking the coaching and training staff will have given him clear areas to work on, and I’m sure he’ll put the time in.

I don’t see anyone taking his spot, Sekac plays C/RW right?

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree I doubt anyone will beat him out with his work ethic. The only reason I say that is I was shocked when Leblanc did not make it back the next year and then he got hurt in the AHL in a fight and his ankle cost him most of the year and a lot of development sadly.

Sekac does play RW/C.

I was actually shocked that Bournival made the team last year. Watching him the year before in Hamilton he was fast and played hard but the points just were not there. I saw him as a long shot to make the NHL at that point….shows how much I know as an armchair GM

• Loop_Garoo says:

Would love to see some offense from him, however I don’t really think he will ever be a huge contributor in that way. I can see him being a 12-15 goal guy, lots of energy, useful solid player, but probably not a star.

• shiram says:

I’m fine with that, we need quality contributors on every line.
        And if he can pot 15 while playing with speed, and doing a good 2-way job, that’s great.

30. krob1000 says:

Why golf is viewed as gentlemanly when it is a multi billion dollar business llike every other sport I will never know…..

Hockey players ALL slam their sticks, smash the boards, slam the penalty box door, complain to refs, etc, yet the best golfer on the planet is a terrible human being beacuse he gets caught swearing…oooooh, or spitting on a green…wha??? he did that? terrible guy that Tiger. His loyalty issues? how many athletes have been involved in similar? how many have been involved with their teammates wives? how manyfailed marriages? how many other off ice or court/field issues?

I find it hard to digest that people think Tiger is a “terrible human being” for what has transpired….guess everyones closets are skeleton free…..yes that is it….HIO…a Utopian society full of the perfect beings…fans of a sport where isf you behaved like a golfer you are perceived to not care, be a floater or a zombie…but I guess hockey palyers are different…because they play hockey…nevermind they are both competitive sports with billions of dollars at stake…one is a “gentlemens game” and one is where gentlemen can watch guys who are not gentlemen and cheer for them but still be gentlemen themselves and determine whether or not others are.

• JohnBellyful says:

I would suggest the players guilty of the behaviour you describe should be viewed no differently from Tiger in one respect — they deserve no respect. He attracts greater scorn — and previously, mammoth endorsements — because he’s an athlete with a huge profile based on superlative play and extraordinary earnings. Which weren’t enough to paper over his character flaws.
      Which I suppose you could extrapolate would have emerged among HIO members had they been so blessed with Woods’ talent and accomplishments.

• krob1000 says:

I see it differently I guess….I see it as people are people. This myth that those in higher posiitons are better people is what gets me. We have now seen Presidents, Royal families, Mayors, Politicians, athletes, Movie Stars, Anchormen who deliver us the news,etc,etc all fall from grace…the only thing I see different about those people is their profile and notoriety….aside from that? they are just people like the rest of us. Personally I believe the one of the most important character traits that people should possess in order to enjoy their lives is the ability to forgive. The idea that people harbour such a grudge over a celebrities personal life is odd to me…I don’t know Tiger Woods…I don’t need to..I know Tiger Woods the golfer and that is really all I care about because to me he is human just like the rest of us…so I just do not understand the severity of the hatred for him. Look at any list of the top atheletes for any sport in the age of media…and find me a top 10 in any sport, profession, etc without half of the top pesonalities having been involved in some issue that we could use in the same way as people use Tigers flaws against him…people being people…

• JohnBellyful says:

Part of the antagonism felt toward Woods is that his dominance over the sport consumed coverage of the events, and led to blowback from a segment of fans grown exhausted with the fawning tribute paid his feats. It seemed other stories in golf were given short shrift while he held sway.

• frontenac1 says:

Good point amigo. I don’t like Tiger but I like Daly.Probably because of his boozing,smoking, gambling and funny pants. He also had Hooters as a sponsor for many years.

• Loop_Garoo says:

There is a difference between a few errors and being a complete as*, and you don’ have to be perfect to disagree with someone else’s behavior, just prepared to be acknowledge your own as well.

31. krob1000 says:

Can someone explain to me why Phil MIckelson is so loved..among his peers he is viewed alot differently than the fans who see his Stay Puft Marhsmellow man grin.
    JOhn Daly? people love John Daly….how is his behaviour and how has bhe been over the years?

These are the 3 most popular playes in the game over the last 10-15 yeras…of the 3 is Tiger worse than any of them?

On tour amongst many of the players Phil is known as figjam. He has done a masterful job marketing himself, and the US media love him. If they had their way, Phil would be getting the TIger coverage, but Tiger is a much better player.

32. B says:

Buffalo signs Ennis to 5 years at $4.6M per. How does that compare to Desharnais’ 4 years at $3.5M per?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Hi B, Nice post. The Ennis deal makes DD look like a steal. Good comparison. Thanks for spotting that.

B

24 cups and counting….

• 24 Cups says:

B – Looks like you beat me to it as I was just going to post the same thoughts.

As well, Markov’s 3 year deal is looking pretty decent compared to Orpik’s five year/5.5M a season contract. That’s even after using the extra two years to make up the difference in age.

24 Cups

• Un Canadien errant says:

Is this a case of the Sabres voluntarily overpaying for players to reach the cap floor, and remain above it when they strip down their team as they approach the deadline, dealing away the Chris Stewarts and Drew Staffords and race to the bottom for first overall?

This is kind of the purchasing decision, as is the Brian Gionta signing, that you make as you hit the airport for your flight home from Mexico. You have 348 pesos burning a hole in your pocket, and you got to spend them, so there’s no telling what your’re willing to pay for trinkets and junk.

33. Un Canadien errant says:

Schadenfreude.

The Leafs clock in at No. 26 this year, valued at $1.15 billion. That’s a solid jump from the 2013 list that placed the bumbling Buds 31st with a valuation of $1 billion—not long after they’d been sold to Bell and Rogers Communications for just over $2 billion. Apparently the franchise shed some value as soon as its new owners drove it off the lot.

The web site notes “the Leafs have been the NHL’s most valuable team since 2005, despite missing the playoffs for nine straight years before qualifying in 2013.” No mention of how the Leafs did in 2014. Guess we’ll never know.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• Paz says:

GM’s like Bowman and Chiarelli know exactly what they are doing when they push their teams right up against the Cap and beyond.

Then, they unload a few expensive pieces, valuable players no doubt, make a few key acquisitions, and go for the Cup again.

It won’t be long until we see Bergevin doing the same thing. Once he believes his team can actually win the Cup, he will be taking on tons of salary to maximize his chances.

30 team league.

That’s the only way to get to the top and bring home a championship.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola UCE! The valuation looks like it’s MLSE. Which includes the Raptors and Real Estate? So how much is the Leafs franchise really worth? Guess we”ll never know.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, that’s a good point. Maybe the $2M the telecom monopolists paid included the cost of the “peewee soccer team”, as Bruce Arthur puts it.

———————————————————————–
        It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

34. krob1000 says:

Anyone watch all the 24ch episodes last night on nHL network….sure made me miss the season. I forgot so many of the mometns that made that show so engaging, Pk when he hit the kid witht he puck, the DD against all odds segment, Weise, how magical Vanek was for a couple of weeks, how consisstent PLeks seems to be as he seems to somehow show up in every episode without fanfare scoring or making a big play, Gallagher when he lost his steel, Gallant how engaged he was and how much the players respected him

Looks like the boys are shooting the lights out at The Open.

Anybody but Tiger is fine by me.

24 Cups

• Ian Cobb says:

24 cups—You are correct, anyone but the Tiger!

Are you coming this year my friend?

News, Pictures and comments

• frontenac1 says:

Nice to see Hearn draw in as an alternate. He is off to a good start too.

Forgot (almost) just how saturated and different the coverage is when Tiger is in the field. Have to say he looks good out there and appears to be set to compete for majors again.

Would love to see McIlroy play a strong weekend. My sentimental picks have done well recently, Els and Clarke.

• krob1000 says:

I can understand where it must frustrate golf purists but the reality is there are more fans that care about Tiger than there are who care about the game …and tv is numbers driven. Tiger to me is what Gretzky was to hockey….he is singlehandedly responsible for making every one of his peers wealthier.

• Cal says:

I’ve never been impressed with Tiger’s demeanor on the course. He comes across as a child, what with all his swearing and glaring.
          I really couldn’t care less if Mr. HGH doesn’t win another tournament.

• krob1000 says:

Many do….but his every moment is captured on camera. He is overly competitive but that is what made him who he is….no diff’t then teh constant Gretzky, Mario and now Crosby complaints ..they are so involved and inthe play so often, so many infractions,etc that they are constantly shown complaining…rightfully so but some people just see it as them complaining more han everyone else without thinking about why they are complaining or why they are seeing them so much.

There are plenty of golfers who are far worse than Tiger…you just don’t see them very often because the camera is on Tiger.

Tiger has led the PGA Tour in fines for most all of his entire career. I get your point Krob, but your final statement about those whose antics are far worse, is also far off.

I don’t want to start a Tiger bashing conversation, I have tremendous respect for the work he puts into his game, and the results he has achieved. But many other golfers have been great with far differing personalities both on and off the course. Perhaps I place a different standard on golfers, but it is a gentlemens game, and should be played as such.

Every weekend of golf there is a wonderful story of some golfer out there. This morning already is a great story with the Molinari brothers both shooting 4 under par rounds, but these stories are ignored by the media in their desire to show one player. Much rather watch stories of all the golfers and the lesser knowns equally. I also didn’t watch hockey because of Gretzky.

I dont doubt the TV numbers, or the increase of money, but that makes no matter to me. As a huge golf fan, believe it or not I am aware of Tiger and his impact. Both he and Phil drive the U.S. TV ratings.

• Paz says:

Tiger has phenomenal talent.

He is a complete loser as a human being.

• frontenac1 says:

He played his best golf when he was banging cocktail waitresses.

• Paz says:

Yes. With his wife and family watching from the gallery.

He’s a zero.

• frontenac1 says:

Loved it when she took the five iron to him.

• krob1000 says:

That terrible human being has done more for charity and challenged people then probably the majority on this site combined…..he made some mistakes.. …like everyone on this site has at some point and every person I know. He has paid for his ways, having his life and confidence ripped apart….everyone needs to let that go. I have nevre golfed with anyone who doesn;t get frustrated when things go bad…and I don’t know anyone other than apprently Mike Fisher (so I hear) that doesn’t swear.

• Paz says:

No. Everyone does NOT have to let it go Krob. You choose to let it go.

• Cal says:

Geez, Paz. His family was watching him from the gallery with those waitresses? Ewwwwwwwww!

• frontenac1 says:

Never Ever piss off a Viking woman.

• frontenac1 says:

Love to see Ernie and Sergio do well too. Nice to have two Canucks in there eh?

• krob1000 says:

I never would have bothered to watch golf, put my kids in golfcamps and get them memberships,etc if not for Tiger. I pretty well only watch golf when Tiger is in the field unless it is a final round of a major and I have nothing else to do…if he is in contention I go out of my way to watch. When Tiger plays I follow the leaderboard all day long from Thurs….if not in the field…I see the winner and that is about it.

• mrhabby says:

I like Tiger as a player he always brings a certain swagger which that game needs…most of the other players have zero personality. I could careless about his off course antics..

36. John Q Public says:

So I guess they don’t want Prust to be ripped coming into camp.
    :lol:

• Cal says:

Hey Jim. Good little article. Ribeiro should have talked to the coach and GM in Phoenix when the problems started. He’d likely still be there.
      At only $1.05mil, the Preds are not really taking a big chance and there’s potential for about 40 to 45 goals between Ribeiro and Neal.

37. BriPro says:

What a goofy picture!
    Here I spent hours chatting it up with John Mahoney on the beaches of Cape Cod last year, and of aaaalllll the fabulous pictures of Jim, Ian, Chris, Burley and I, they had to put up this goofy image.

Some artist with a beret, AND NO RED! You should be ashamed of yourself.
    And John Belly masquerading as a little blond boy in blue!
    And not one….but TWO bald guys, and I’m not even in there.

I’m so disappointed…you have no idea.

• Mattyleg says:

You can’t handle my mega-fame.

I totally understand.

This year, spend some time around the ‘leg. Some of the glory-dust is bound to rub off, Bri.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• BriPro says:

I’m going to blog the obligatory
        “How are you, Matty?”

NOOO, your mega-frame has nothing to do with it.
        But I do hope you’re well and enjoying the summer.

Besides, if I don’t type something, the crickets will have a field day on here.
        Get it? Crickets? Field?
        Oye…

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!
          ;)
          Having a great one, Bri, apart from a cold that won’t go away…
          Hope you’re enjoying the glorious Chateauguay summer!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

And John called himself your friend. Geez.

• BriPro says:

I KNEW it!
        There was no way I would expect an answer from you at that hour, my good friend…too late for you young whipper snapper.
        But at the crack of dawn though…

I have to post late at night for you to answer in the morning because its a different crowd in the morning, and my posts go unanswered.

……nobody loves me. :(

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

There are no bald guys. There are just natural Mark Messier men.

Another celebrity to join us this year!

Hi Ian,

I am going to be at the Hurley’s meet and greet on Friday night, November 28. I am doing my best to drag along a special guest.
    My older brother is Chrys Goyens, the writer of Lions in Winter, the biographer of Jean Beliveau: My Life in Hockey, Maurice Richard: Reluctant Hero and Larry Robinson for the Defense.
    He has not been in the best of health lately, but I will try to get him there to sign any books the Summiteers bring.

I will e-mail you in early October to confirm.

CHeers!

Cal
    (Gilbert Goyens)

39. Just throwing this out there? For an enforcer and I don’t know if he is available? Might be playing in KNL? Evgeny Artyukhin might fillin as a heavyweight?

• CJ says:

He has the size, but lacks the skill.

Of course, any player who goes right at Chara (David Koci is another example) has my full respect.

I would not be surprised if Nevins cracks the 23 man roster. I am a firm believer that if you want something, you need to draft and develop the asset yourself. Nobody is going to give us Evander Kane or Wayne Simmons. Pollock said it best, you trade for futures, not past performers. That said, deals for young players, especially those signed to cap friendly deals, are worth a bundle.

Just my two cents.

Cheers, CJ

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Absitively posilootly concur.

• frontenac1 says:

Can’t link it,but check out homeboy Kip Brennan vs Artyukin Oct 7,2011. Kipper gets cut up but gets the win.

• Good stuff!! Me thinks he Habs will go with skill and if need be to have an enforcer MB will find one to fillin from time to time. What do you think of these lines combo’s? Make changes as you see fit!!

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
        Markov – Subban

Galchenyuk – Eller – Parenteau
        Emelin – Gilbert

Bourque – Plekanec – Sekac/Bournival
        Beauliea – Weaver

Prust – Malhotra – Weise

Price
        Budaj

Spares – Moen – Tinordi

• CJ says:

Overall it looks good. Personally, I’d separate DD and Gally, as both are long on heart, but short on size. In that sense, I wouldn’t mind seeing PA start with Max and DD, provided he earns the spot. PA has decent size, but is not a rugged player. Personally, I think Gally and Chucky are at their best together. I would not be against seeing them with Eller.

I think Eller has a real chance to break into the top six, but he needs to become much more consistent. Last year we saw him at his very best, but unfortunately at his very worst. Amazing what a does of confidence, or a lack thereof can do to a player.

IMO, Budaj gets moved. Same for Moen. Of course, much easier said then done. Some may not like to hear this, but both could end up on waivers. It’s a numbers game, and better value exists with Tokarski and Nevins.

Lastly, again just my opinion, but I can’t see either Nate or Tiny sitting in the pressbox. They will either make the team, or be in Hamilton. I like the insurance that Weaver provides, but we need Beaulieu and Tinordi to be given time to develop. Sitting in the pressbox will do nothing to improve either player. Weaver will get his games, but he really should be an injury replacement, not part of our top six.

Again, just my take. We might see a few personnel changes yet. As Bergevin said on July 1st, the players will determine who makes the team. True, to an extent ;)

It’s been at least a season, perhaps 2 since some of us last asked Mr. Artyukhin to join our ranks.

SPECIAL SUMMIT ANNOUNCEMENT!

Boys and girls, the 2014 SUMMIT committee of one! ME, would like to announce the winner of being the first HIO member to have his money order arrive here for the summit game by courier. at 10am this morning.
    From Kirkland QC, member J.D. (James David) That is the second year in a row that James has been 1st.
    His prize is buying the 1st round at Hurley’s Pub, Friday night.

In second place from Strathmore Alberta, member James Greer, 3pm FedX courier.

Good Job James and Jim.

JohnBellyFull 3rd place–He drove to my house and we had a great chat!

41. UKRAINIANhab says:

Brad Staubitz was a healthy scratch in the marlies this year!

Wow, thought he was a bit better than that.

Maybe it was because Pleks was centering him! Damnit Cunneyworth!

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Always had a wee bit of a soft spot for Staubitz…guess it was partially due to the shock of Goatier finally breaking down and signing a tough hombre to help a poor Beleagured White…and the fact that he seemed to be a good team guy (with wheels but little skill) who knew his role and stuck up for his mates.

42. Hstands4Hockey says:

Too bad about RDS/French telecasts being blacked out here in Ontario. It was my only motivation to continue learning French and “practice” the language. Even worse is I’ll have to listen to Leafs-Nation donkeys for every broadcast now. AWFUL.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

On wifi in a restaurant in Golden BC. Signal not strong, so hope this gets posted.

In case No one has posted, Guy LaPointe’s daughter advised Me Her Dad’s banner night will November 8th, a Saturday.

I’m not sure if that is the Wild’s visit or not. But, November 8th it is.

44. frontenac1 says:

Boston didn’t re sign Thornton because he lost almost all his fights last year. Tallon signed him for 2yrs. With a nice raise. Boston still has McQuaid,Miller, Boychuck as well asRobbins and Randell on the Farm. Toronto has Orr, Mclaren,Devane,Staubitz etc. Toronto and Boston are not moving away from Enforcers amigo.

• kevin says:

Toronto also placed MacLaren on waivers last year, McQuaid plays hurt most of the year, Miller is a 6 th or 7 th defenseman on most teams, he was there because of injuries and I really doubt he’s a heavyweight. Orr’s best days are behind him, Staubitz will spend most of his time in the press box or go on waivers.

The best teams don’t have goons, they have players that can step in when needed to. We have to follow that model, not waste salary cap space and a spot on the roster for someone who can’t:skate, shoot, take a pass, kill a penalty, take stupid penalties or be a defensive liability.

That’s all I’m going to say on this topic, I realize this is a divisive subject and I have my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

• frontenac1 says:

I agree with most of that amigo. The Old Enforcers are being edged out. There is a new wave of young Enforcers breaking into the league in the next few years.
        (Bret Gallant,Mashinter, Robbins,Randell,Maggio, Devane etc. We have Crisp, Nevins and Fournier who are still a year or two away imo.

• kevin says:

I think you’ll find that eventually we’ll have one or two guys on every line as well as three defensemen that will fill that roll. Well not every line but the bottom two and maybe one on the second line. The big thing as I see it right now is to get our d’men to protect Carey Price. and get those effers out of his crease. If he gets run, we’ll run the other guy. But twice as hard and twice as often.

• kevin says:

What we need is a modern day Larry Robinson

• Phil C says:

So do most of the other teams. The real question is how do you handle not having a guy like Robinson.

• kevin says:

• kevin says:

We utilize a poor man’s Larry Robinson……….Jarred Tinordi and with luck, he becomes a middle class Larry Robinson. A dream would be near or equal, but that won’t happen, it would take a larry Robinson to recreate a larry Robinson hand he isn’t on our coaching staff.

• Phil C says:

Tinordi is a good option if he reaches his potential. He couldn’t hold one of the six spots last year though and I’m not convinced he’ll break the top six this year either, but I guess we’ll see. At a minimum the Habs will need a plan B to Tinordi providing that element.

45. mfDx says:

Is this correct?
    Thus far, we have:

Bournival. Plekanec. Weise
    Galcheniuk. Desharnais. Pacioretty
    Gallagher. Eller. Bourque
    Prust. Malholtra. Parenteau
    Moen

Ya’ll will say we still need a goon, a scoring winger with size and cap friendly bilingual captain.
    Cool?

Sent from my CHphone

46. DipsyDoodler says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If we’re getting an enforcer, get a complete psychopath.

No middle ground.

Don’t get a guy who can take a regular shift, pinch in on the penalty kill, move up to the 3rd line when needed.

Get yourself the kind of person who would be in prison if they hadn’t found a job in hockey. The kind of person who scares his own teammates.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• kevin says:

Aw man, you’re talking a serial killer, Montreal Canadiens aren’t like that, get a killer power play and nothing happens. And we have the personnel to do that.

• frontenac1 says:

The crazy guys are fun to watch(Gillies,Gratts,Mirsaty,Lessard,Theriault,)but a Rosehill and a Paluso can handle the Rough stuff and pop in a few goals too.

• kevin says:

They also come with a lot of trouble………..I can see where someone like that can allow players to play “big”, if we could find someone that fit the bill and not be a hinderence, who wouldn’t be happy with that. Prust fills that role to a degree, but he isn’t able to take on the heavyweights.

But what top 4 or 6 teams have those?

• Hstands4Hockey says:

John Scott is already signed.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Habbergasted says:

Loved this post.

Our 8th annual 2014 HIO Fan Summit is, Nov.29th weekend.

Send today, your self addressed stamped envelope with your money order, so I can send you your tickets back!!! (Canadian stamp) Courier is best! especially from USA! I will be cut off from ordering these special HIO game tickets on the 28th day of July.
    I must receive your money order by the 28th.
    Two seating section prices! $83ea. or $105ea.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

ITINERARY & LOCATIONS
    We are staying at the Novotel hotel, discount rates at 866-861-6112 Tell them you are with HIO to get your discount.

We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. on Crescent St. Some of us will be having supper there. Big screen for Hab’s at Buffalo game for us on the 2nd floor, and name tags will be given out.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. 1240 Drummond St. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

After breakfast we walk over to the Bell Center and Hall of Fame Tours.

At 3pm the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation charity raffle at the Baton Rouge restaurant 1050 Mountain St.
    Each person is asked to bring one gift item to donate for the charity raffle, so everyone gets a gift to go home with.

Then our Baton Rouge restaurant pre game dinner. With special guests.

After dinner we walk across the street to see the Hab’s take on Gionta, Gorges and the Buffalo Sabers.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celebrate the win. Just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this years Summit.
    Ian

48. kevin says:

There’s always at least one jerk in every crowd or blog.

49. THE ABSOLUTE_TRUTH says:

Rosehill would be a good choice for an enforcer. we need one for the regular season. Playoffs not needed, ask Boston. They tried to goon it up with the Habs but the Habs played it smart and guess who advanced to the 3rd round – The Habs. To win a cup you need smart, skilled, tough players and you have a very good chance… LAK

• PrimeTime says:

Congratulations on your recent graduation from Hockey 101. Was the final based on stating the obvious??

• kevin says:

If we need an enforcer………….he would come pretty cheap and I think he can play a few shifts.

• Habs_101 says:

If you are really really concerned sign someone like Ryan Malone, hes a free agent who isn’t likely to get a contract, have him play with Prust against tough team on the fourth line and move Weise up a line in place or Sekac or Bournival or someone.

Either way he’d come cheap at this point and you could afford to sit him most nights. The enforcer market is extremely thin and most of them are utterly useless, we have punchers in the minors we can call up for a game at a time if we need to. Waste of cap in my opinion.

GO HABS GO!

• kevin says:

There are very few enforcers that can play. The trend seems to be to get away from that. Boston is trending away from it, Toronto is too, but Boston has Chara. If we can make Tinordi an every day player, problem solved. If needed, he could be double shifted when something is brewing.

• frontenac1 says:

No way! Can’t fight and is a spot picker. Malone is a punching bag for Heavyweights.

• kevin says:

You think Tinordi is a spot picker? and can’t fight? Just asking, I saw him fight the Marlie’s tough guy to a draw. perhaps you are right.

• frontenac1 says:

I was referring to Malone amigo, not Tinordi. Malone also pulled a”Full Rob Ford” so no way would I sign him.

• kevin says:

Sorry, I was confused………….happens often, malone would be hands off for sure.

• Habbergasted says:

I remember the line brawl against Ottawa, and Tinordi immediately picked Neil… So as a kid he allready had the golf balls to tango with an arguable heavyweight. Give him time and he will fill the role.

A very good read from Paul Stewart, some good stories in it, Eric Lindros, Chris Gratton, Theo Fleury etc……

• Cal says:

The man tells good stories. They should be in a book.
      You know anything about some missing beer?
      (See previous page)

• Forum Dog says:

Thanks for that. Ditto what Cal said. The legend of Lindros’ d-bag reputation keeps growing. Even after almost 10 years of retirement….

• Marc10 says:

What a great piece. I couldn’t stand Stewart as an official, but that was a very entertaining read. Thanks for sharing!

Stewart, IMO, was easily the worst ref of his day. He let all manner of goonery slide and was exacerbating the outlaw culture of the sport back in the day that led to players like Lemieux wanting to retire early.

Great bit in the article about Lindros. It confirms my impression of the child phenom as a spoiled brat in a giant’s body. You have to be seriously out of touch (and a gigantic a-hole) to tell off a ref in your first interaction when the guy is reaching out to you! Poor form and just plain stupid. It hurts you and your team for years. Nice work.

I imagine with hindsight Eric probably realizes how his low EQ way of dealing with others made life that much more miserable for him. What an ambassador he could have been for the sport if his parents were more like the Subbans and raised someone respectful of others instead of a prick.

Anyhow, great read. Stewart is a goldmine of stories. I’m going to set up a Google alert for his rants. Just gold that stuff!

Big shout out to Ian Cobb. Much gratitude and appreciation to you good sir for organizing this yearly event. You rock.