Eberle displays scoring touch at rookie camp

Team Red beat Team White 3-2 in Sunday’s scrimmage at the Canadiens’ rookie camp in Brossard with Tanner Eberle scoring two goals for the winning team. Eberle also scored a goal in Saturday’s scrimmage.

“That surprises me because I’ve never put up big numbers at any level,” Eberle, who had 15 goals in 65 games last season with Moose Jaw in the Western Hockey League, told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey after the game.

Eberle said his lack of scoring was probably the reason he was overlooked in the NHL draft. When asked if his size — he’s 5-foot-9 and 169 pounds — might have been a factor, he replied: “I don’t think so. I’m actually a physical player, I like to hit people.”

Christian Thomas scored the other goal for Team Red, while Swedish defenceman Magnus Nygren and Charles Hudon scored for Team White. Goalie Zach Fucale stopped 13 of 14 shots he faced with Team Red.

General manager Marc Bergevin said Sunday that he hopes the newcomers create situations where “we have to make difficult choices,” the reality is that most of the roster spots are spoken for as the team heads into the main training camp on Wednesday.

The one exception among the 40 hopefuls attending the rookie camp is defenceman Jarred Tinordi (photo above). He played only eight regular-season games last season, but the Canadiens kept him around for the playoffs and accorded him veteran status by inviting him to the team’s annual golf tournament last week.

But Nygren arrived in camp last week with the kind of attitude that makes Bergevin smile.

“I think everyone here has the goal of playing in the NHL,” said Nygren, who is older and more experienced than most of the players in the rookie camp. “That’s my goal. I know they have a lot of defencemen in camp, and if I have to start in Hamilton I’m okay with that, but I want to play in the NHL.”

The 23-year-old Nygren was drafted in the fourth round in 2011 and decided that the time was right to give North American hockey a try after 3½ seasons in the Swedish Elite League.

The rookie camp wraps up Monday with a final scrimmage at 11 a.m. in Brossard and the Canadiens’ brain trust will gather to determine which players will be invited to the main camp, which opens Wednesday with physicals and fitness testing. The players will have their first on-ice session Thursday.

The Canadiens will play their first exhibition games at the Bell Centre Sunday night against Buffalo and Monday against Boston.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Tinordi, Nygren make solid pair at rookie camp, by Pat Hickey

GM Bergevin on Habs’ newest prospects, Canadiens.com

1. dsangdhw says:

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )
    (Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
    (Air Max shoes) $35,
    (Nike shox shoes) $36,
    (Handbags) $39,
    (Sunglasses) $16,
    (wallet) $18,
    (Belt) $17,
    (T-shirts) $20,
    (Jeans) $37,
    (NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )

2. Sportfan says:

Ok… Does anyone know what network will be showing the regular season games?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Cal says:

I’m not a member of the media or anything, but do ya think I can get a free Habs PDF media guide? Anyone?

4. Bripro says:

Good afternoon to all (no, not yet good morning… or good night, so smarten up!) – Was that the voice in my head?

Anyhow, news from this morning’s skate.
    The camp has finished and the list of invitees to the regular camp will go out this afternoon (how do you know this?). …. who said that?

The red team whooped the white teams keisters 8-1.
    Team Red (Nystrom [2], Crisp [3], Thrower, Vail)
    Team White (Bournival)
    Dalton Thrower had a killer slap shot from the blue line.
    Nathan Beaulieu struggled big time today.
    Tinordi was dangerous.
    Fucale is the only impressive G at the camp. (7 for 7)

In other news… (after the break, no?)…. no.
    Mikka Kiprussoff has announced his retirement.

And yes, unbelievably, Pierre “the Goat” Gauthier is still employed by the Chicago Black Hawks…. this under the category of head scratcher.

And this just in….. RDS will be broadcasting the pre-season games.
    This for those who are wondering…. I realize there’s no guarantee of this, but who would question them anyhow? Not any sceptics on here, that’s for sure!

I am sure some of you folks know… will RDS broadcast any of the pre-season games?

Really appreciate the info.

6. Habfan10912 says:

I wonder if Timo has completed his Summit seating chart yet?

7. Chuck says:

Does anyone know where I can get a team media guide for free? I mean, Molson makes all that money off of us so the least he could do would be to send me a free one. And pay for the stamp, too.

Maybe in it it’ll have whether or not RDS (or anyone) will be carrying the preseason games. Y’know… for free.

__________________________________________________
    Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston (Triple check.) Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

8. Sportfan says:

Lol that’s why I didn’t flip my crap when we drafted him I wanted to wait :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. Mattyleg says:

I wonder if RDS (or some other network) will be carrying any of the preseason games.
    I also wonder if there is any way of ever knowing this for sure.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. Habs54 says:

Does anybody know off the top of their head whether or not RDS will carry all the preseason games? Thanks!!

11. Sportfan says:

Got a Video Game question here!
    What should I buy first Madden 25 or NHL 14? For now i can only buy one.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. HabFab says:

Rookie Scrimmage game over. Reds win 8-1 lead by Crisp with 3 goals and Nystrom with 2. Thrower, Vail and Chouinard with the others. Bournival scored the lone White goal.

Trini will be hard to live with tonight :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I thought Crisp could only fight, he must have been lucky?

;-).

• krob1000 says:

He also had 2 preseason hat tricks while in Erie …Connor Crisp seems to be adding a new dimension….very good new since he is for some reason well received on here despite being exactly what the same fans have been asking for…a tough physical guy who may be able to contribute offesnively here and there. The odds are still against them but he seems to be tackjling the challenge head on.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think the objection isn’t necessarily with the player himself, but rather the thought, right or wrong, that he was a reach early in the third round, that he would have been available in the fifth or sixth round.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Many critics on here fail to realize that just because you score 40 goals in junior it doesn’t come close to meaning you’ll have that success in the NHL. Stats in junior hockey come second to skating ability and size.

A guy like Crisp has the size and the endurance to survive in the NHL. I haven’t seen him skate so I can’t really comment there.

I heard a caller on the radio this morning stating that one of the Canadiens prospects, Ben Duffy, had back to back 30 plus goal seasons in junior and he should make the Habs down the road. The guy is 5’9″ tall, he could have had back to back 60 goals seasons in the QMJHL and it wouldn’t mean much.

I remember watching a couple season of the Oshawa Generals years ago. Their team captain led the club in points, was great on faceoffs, killed penalties and on and on. He was 5’9″ tall and although his skating was on par for the OHL, it wasn’t NHL caliber, he wasn’t even drafted and went on to play university hockey.

So again, in most cases, points in junior or college are pretty far down on most teams’ list when drafting players.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Is it asking too much that he turn into Al Secord or Tim Kerr?

• HabFab says:

He was playing with Fournier and if you add McCarron, we could have our own Legion of Doom line.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Did that outburst occur against Christopher Festarini?

• HabFab says:

Half him and half Delmas, who got beaned with a shot to the head from Andrighetto in the first.

Edit: sorry, 5 for him and 3 for Delmas.

• Luke says:

Oh, Festarini… he played well for the IceDogs. Wonder what this year will hold for him. He’s on the roster as an overager, but they just traded for a goalie out of Kingston and Morin will need to see some time in net.

13. Sportfan says:

@Timo I heard Tremblay and Roy still haven’t spoken yet, what’s your take?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The Jackal says:

Cool read bro!
      My fantasy team did alright week 1.
      Played all my games already and I got 120 points. My opponent has 86 but he still has Arian Foster to play tonight… I doubt he will get 34 points but it ain’t over til it’s over.

Since I’m a noob I’ve decided to take some risks this season. I picked up Gronk sort of early this draft, and I’m also adding Percy Harvin on waivers, so hopefully I can hold the fort til those 2 come back, and I think once that happens I will have a really strong team, up from decent ATM.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Sportfan says:

Thanks Jackal! I caught the fantasy bug and have a few teams. My team with Last word won or is winning by a lot this week. The other ones aren’t as great as I had hoped haha. I always hate losing by like .5 points. I did a few teams on NFL.com and they show the points of the benched players and boy did I make some mistakes lol.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. HabFab says:

Third period starts at last Rookie Camp scrimmage, still 4-1. Wonder where Trini is? His boys are doing well today!

When does the big club training camp start again? Monday?

16. The Jackal says:

I feel good about our NHL roster and our prospects.
    It’ll be a fun season for sure. It’s excited to see our D prospects coming along and looking to help us become better.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

17. Luke says:

And since I as on HockeyBuzz… some may like to have a glance at this:

• Loonie says:

Stopped at Desharnais’ leash will be about ten games long. Gave me a good laugh though. His leash was 47 games long last season. Hard to believe things will change in that department.

• shiram says:

They could always try to switch him and Brière at C, if Desharnais is horrible.
        Not that having him on the wing is any better.

• The Jackal says:

What reason is there to think that DD won’t be more heavily scrutinized and on a shorter leash this year? Last season was a short season with 2 rookie forwards and on a team that did not really encounter any difficulties until the last games of the season. There was no real impetus or urgent need to punish DD or move him around, specially since he had a great season prior to the one in question, and has shown that he is an asset with good skills.

Now, just because MT was reluctant to cut DD’s ice time last season does not in any way factor into his decisions re. that subject this coming season. Drawing that conclusion relies too much on assumptions about things that we don’t know. It could be that MT and MB were trying to get DD going and had decided that it was worth not reducing his ice time since the team was producing. Likewise, it could now be that MT and MB have given DD a long look and have decided that Eller and Chucky will be given more chances to claim DD’s spot should he falter. The latter case is more likely, seeing how MB was already willing to trade DD this offseason despite giving a contract a few months earlier, which by the way, is a good contract.

Anyhow, it is too early to say many things about the Habs’ roster decisions, but you can be sure that there will be higher expectations of DD and that he will feel the consequences of not performing up to spec.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Loonie says:

The conclusion can be drawn until proven presumptuous that Desharnais will be afforded the same tolerance that he was last season because it was given to him last season. A shorter season meant less time to help him get his game on track and because of that necessitated a stronger urgency in sending the message that below average play wasn’t acceptable.

There’s no more proof than game one of the playoffs. At the time where the team needed to put its best foot forward David Desharnais maintained his spot on the team’s top line while Eller and especially Galchenyuk were used sparingly.

A coach doesn’t go with a player on his top line in game one of the playoffs unless he feels he’s among his best players.

Clearly Therrien feels Desharnais is better than both Eller and Galchenyuk.

• Timo says:

Plenty of reasons… DD is a home boy, a feel good story, good in front of the camera, loved by the french media, MT only is tough on rookies, MB signed him to a ridiculous contract and that will make MT’s boss look like an idiot (well, it does already) if MT sits DD.

See… several reasons.

• Loonie says:

He isn’t just tough on rookies. P.K. Subban, Yannick Weber and Lars Eller could attest to that I’m sure.

The only logical reason that Desharnais was allowed to maintain his role on the team last season in the midst of underwhelming offensive and worse powerplay production is he is a home boy.

This team has two first round picks outplaying him with lesser quality linemates in less enviable situations during the game. That along with their talent being better than his would under normal circumstances lead to a demotion for Desharnais and a promotion for one or both of Galchenyuk and Eller.

The truth seems to hurt some people on this subject.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I believe Bergevin when he says the the best players play regardless of their contracts. That will certainly be put to the test with Desharnais. I image DD will get a few extra chances though because Bergevin just signed him.

And besides BS rumors, when did Bergevin try and trade him anyway?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Will Briere be on the top line with Pac and DD? I think Gally is better suited for that line. Then you have the shooter, the playmaker, and the guy who goes to the net. Briere on that line might be too much finesse?

18. NoTinFoilCups says:

Speaking of Raymond and many decent players still unsigned.
    Danny Cleary may be available. The Wings roster is full.

19. Loonie says:

Hope all of the fans planning on attending training camp have their binoculars ready.

20. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal Rookie Scrimmage
    - E. Nystrom scores on a nice cross-ice feed from B. Duffy
    - M. Bournival strikes back for Team White with a high slap shot. 1-1
    - E. Nystrom scores his second of the game Team Red leads 2-1
    - Connor Crisp scores two quick goals, Team Red leads 4-1
    - Hat trick for C. Crisp, who makes it 5-1 for Team Red.
    - Thrower slaps it on net and the puck is tipped behind Festarini. 6-1 Team Red
    - B. Vail completes a play with Andrighetto. Team Red dominating 7-1
    - J. Gervais-Chouinard scores a late goal for Team Red. Final score: 8-1 Reds

21. stephen says:

Hi everyone,

Looking for some information about the scrimmage on Saturday.

What is the format? Do they play three full periods?

I’m considering making the drive (for a great cause, after all) but would be a bit bummed if it wasn’t much more than than a half hour bit of shinny.

Thanks for any help!

RDS HD has officially been dusted off.

23. shiram says:

Scored tickets for a saturday game, Sharks on the 26th of October.
    Pretty happy about that, considering the 2 hour wait I had to endure for it.
    All the good games did not have 3 seats together available.

Anyone going to saturday’s scrimmage? I was not, but the BBQ I was to attend got cancelled and I’m tempted to get a ticket, at 5$ it’s no big loss.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s the HI/O game, Shiram!
      You going to try to meet up with us?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

Depends. Are you offering poutine?

• shiram says:

Oh neat, more of a fortuitious hazard then a planned thing, and I’m pretty sure you guys will have much better tickets.
        But we can see what we can do.

• Mattyleg says:

You know where to find us before and after!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I actually don’t, I have not followed the Summit stuff at all this year.
            I’ll be in the pale blues, with 2 buddies.
            Going to Hurleys on the friday night beforehand was still in the back of my head though but I know Ian makes reservations there, so I would not want to cause any problems.

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!
            Yeah, that Ian’s a terror.
            He just books an area of the pub (upstairs on the left) and whoever wants to come is welcome!
            Hope to see you there on Friday, and we’re at Baton Rouge for the raffle pre-game Saturday, then back to Hurley’s after the game!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Thanks Matty, me and my buddies might indulge in some ribs before the game too.

Shiram, hope to meet you at Hurley’s on Friday night then! We will be there after the game Saturday as well, you are of course welcome to join the rest of us Summitteers!

• shiram says:

I’m not making any promises, but I’ll see if I can swing around, at what time on friday are you guys going there? It’s quite close to my work place so I could go directly.

24. HabFab says:

The rosters for today’s scrimmage, appear to have a shake-up;

Note: Also Nattinen is still out with a virus apparently.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I note that they broke up the Tinordi-Nygren pairing, which was dominant in the scrimmages. Trying to see if Mr. Nygren can replicate his performance playing away from the most-ready NHL defenceman? Will they pair him with Nathan today to see what those two could do?

Also, no sign of Matt Lashoff. Maybe he didn’t accept the tendered invite.

25. Sportfan says:

I’m hoping Rymond wows the Leafs and it forces kadri to sit out the whole season. I’d be a hppy leaf hater :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. Strummer says:

Rather than intra-squad games perhaps the Habs rookies should be participating in one of the rookie tournaments taking place at this time.
    I believe Sens and Leaf rookies did that as well as some teams out west.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

27. Stevie.Ray says:

The last remaining “smurf”, from the 2008 “smurf” overhaul, is in the last year of his “smurfing” contract.

The question is, will Gionta be on the team at this time next season? Will he be on the team at the end of this season? Who should be given the C if he is moved or let go?

I heard an interesting theory this morning. The RW is small, so why not trade Gionta for a good prospect or a high second round pick (if we can), and then sign Morrow to add some size and grit on the right side. What do you think about that scenario?

• Cal says:

I’d rather the Habs let their youth get a shot up front. It will give them incentive.

• Sportfan says:

I’d like Morrow to be on this team, however I doubt that will happen to Gio I see him not being here next season, but I see full season ahead for him unless by the trade deadline we have no playoff hopes.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Luke says:

Didn’t Morrow break (or hairline fracture) his knee cap during the playoffs?

I thought he was not expected to be ready for the beginning of the season.
      That, plus the wear and tear on his body and possibly asking price, is what I assumed were keeping him unsigned.

From Hockey Buzz:
      Pierre Lebrun of ESPN reported that Brenden Morrow was playing with a split knee cap during the playoffs.

28. lakechamplain says:

Cautionary notes: let’s not make too much about goals in rookie scrimmages, and loved the compilation of Nygren but remember highlight clips never show what players are getting done away from the puck.
    That said, often wish we(Hab Nation) could be more tolerant of young players inevitably making mistakes and going negative on them. Last year when Ottawa had multiple players out due to injuries they had to bring up the young’uns and they learned the hard way but the best way, by experience, and developed a younger, more mobile defensive corps in the end. Don’t wish injuries on anyone but wish the young defencemen had more opportunities in the bigs. Yes, costly errors will be made in the regular season, but what did finishing first in the division do in the end as opposed to the Senators who barely made the playoffs?
    Well, I’ll go bark at the crescent moon tonight too, and know that won’t happen. I guess we’ll have to wait…….
    (Galchenyuk & Gallagher did prove what sometimes happens when the newbies are given a chance)

• Cal says:

Hear what you’re saying, but the reality when it comes to D men is the more experience the better. Rare are the PKs when it comes to D.
      Chucky and Gally did well while being protected by their coach. When Gally moved to DD and Patches line out of necessity, Gally showed he had a lot of heart. He was knocked down a lot, but kept getting up. I am hoping that Gally and DD are never put together again.

29. Sportfan says:

Are they not showing the preseason games on TV because they want people to buy the tickets and go to the games?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

If this squad can get a full injury free season out of Max and Eller it will be interesting to see what numbers they post. I understand all players will get some typical knocks and bruises, but these two have dealt with some pretty severe injuries early in their career.

30. netninja says:

Has anyone heard any news on Sebastian Collberg since he messed up his knee back at the beginning of August? That was one kid I was looking forward to seeing in Hamilton this season.

31. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

After receiving some positive emails regarding my posting, I’ve decided to offer tickets to HIOers again.
    I purchased season tickets this season, but as I’m currently living in GTA, I have to offload most of them. I offer them at Box Office Prices…
    Club Desjardins A tickets (2) section 223, row F. All food and non alcoholic drinks are FREE.

Regular games $430/pair
    Optimum games $700/pair

Please contact me at 3drealty@sympatico.ca if interested. I will be in Mtl from Saturday til Tuesday next week as I am in town for business and attending some preseason action vs Boston.
    Thanks,
    Tony D

32. Maritime Ronn says:

Was looking at the Burke move to Calgary and wondering if Bergevin could pick his pocket….but what a god awful team of aging, overpaid, underachievers.
    There isn’t any fit for any of them on the Habs.

With Kirposoff retiring, their startng goaltenders are Joey MacDonald and the throw in Karri Ramo from the Bourque/Cammalleri trade.
    Then, imagine trying to move Cammalleri’s $6M Cap Hit and $7M salary this year?
    They may get something at the trade deadline when there will be little left of both.

I hope Burke read the new CBA.
    No more burying his bad deals in the minors without Cap repercussions.

33. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Read with some interest the post and opinions about the Leafs and Raymond. There still are some decent NHL players unsigned as we approach training camps. I’m wondering why?

Is it as simple as the majority of the teams up against their self imposed budgets and willing to give these bottom 6 and pair jobs to youngsters in their system?

• HabFab says:

There are still 6 major RFA’s to be signed also.

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh yeah, I shouldn’t forget about those. That may be more of a negotiation strategy, don’t ya think? Kind of a PK bridge contract thingy.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi jim
          Kind of like the St. Louis Blues inviting defenceman Ryan Whitney to training camp as a professional tryout in case the Alex Pietrangelo thing gets out of hand.

• Cal says:

Hi Jim. Many players (almost 200 if I’m remembering rightly)after the 2005 lockout never played in the NHL again. The cap restraints makes older million dollar players expendable. The numbers game caught up to Raymond in Vancouver.
      The restraint this season is also why the “bridge” contract is being spoken about, too. MB did the Habs a big favour doing that deal with PK.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Agreed – Berg will take a hit from the media because PK is going to get a lot more money on a Long Term contract than he would’ve a year ago – but even with PK making 7-8 million over 8 years is a good deal for a Norris Trophy winner who is still getting better every game. 7.5 will be nothing in 7 years when the cap is 100 million and PK will be in his prime.

——————————————————————–
        Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
        @Hstands4Hockey

• Sportfan says:

One of the factors is that many teams are to close to the cap and can’t afford signing these players. The players themselves might be asking for too much money as well.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Cal says:

Ralph Backstrom. Toe Blake.

• HabFab says:

Hope you have a good heater in your trailer cause frig it is cold this AM.

Jimmy Roberts but I’m aging myself ;)

• habs11s says:

It almost feels like the hockey season out there ;)

_____________________________________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

Tom “The bomb” Kostopoulos.

Always liked Tom, played as big as he could for his size and was a consummate teammate in all ways.

I did cringe that game when he levelled a Maple Leaf into the boards, it was obvious charging and seemed like a very dirty play. I don’t think he meant to be dirty, but was fighting tooth and nail to hold his job with the Habs.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hector Toe Blake

Hago Harrington
        Louis Berlinguette
        Odie Cleghorn
        Georges Mantha

• Lafleurguy says:

You might get chided by our Surrey friend for omitting Toe in the first go ’round.

Ralph Backstrom, over 1,000 NHL games played, 15 noteworthy seasons with Les Glorieux, and born in Kirkland Lake, birthplace also of Dick Duff, Mickey Redmond, Bob Murdoch, and all-told, 22 former NHLers.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Yea, noticed that boni
            :-)
            First part was post 1950′s….or at least that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it .

I always thought Blake finished with the Habs yet it appears he went on to play with the Buffalo Bisons in 48-49 for 18 games, then a year in the Qsenior league with the Valleyfield Braves in 49-50

• netninja says:

Ah Oleg Petrov, still one of my all-time favorites. i still remember that hat trick he scored against Detroit back in the day lol

• JohnBellyful says:

th sense

-Day War

degrees of separation (from the puck)

-shooter

of one, half-dozen of the other

-pack

feet under

wives of Henry VIII (Catharine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard, Catherine Parr)

-year extension for Chicago Blackhawk goalie, Corey Crawford

-string guitar

days to create earth (and one more for second thoughts)

Flags Magic Mountain

-cylinder engine

toes (on one foot; hey, it happens)

killer apps of prosperity – competition, science, property, modern medicine, consumerism, work ethic – that set Western civilization apart from the rest of the world, according to British historian Niall Ferguson

• Un Canadien errant says:

Pierre Mondou.

34. Mike D says:

Anyone else surprised Raymond hasn’t got an NHL contract? He may not be a star player, but you think SOME team could have a spot for him and put him to good use on a cheap contract, even with the lower cap.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny
    The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• HabFab says:

There are a good half dozen players that should have contracts and don’t. Have read some thought that Raymond was looking for too much money in July.Teams are going to be tight this season. And like Habfan17 pointed out, this puts pressure on Kadri and offers TO options. Read this AM that Nonis was the GM that drafted Raymond for Vancouver so they have history.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Raymond is actually a good fit for the Leafs. He plays the left side and they have nothing after Lupul and JVR unless you consider Fraser McClaren a hockey player.

They also have more Cap space than the shown $4.9M. Subtract and move Colborne and Smith to the Marlies and that number goes to $6M.

If they can trade part or all of JM Liles contract ($3.875M) to perhaps the Islanders to replace Streit, then no problem getting all of Kadri, Franson, and Raymond on board.

• Mike D says:

Morning Frank.

I read the TSN article this AM on the Nonis/Raymond history if that’s what you’re talking about. It also said he could be a good fit on their 3rd line with Kulemin and Bolland which makes sense, I suppose. And I agree that it puts some pressure on Kadri and gives TO options.

I guess that in my mind, there should be a few teams who could really benefit from a player like him at around 2mil/season on a short term deal, and I doubt he’d get that much if he starts out with a PTO.

Oh well, it’s not Habs-related so it’s not important to me :-).

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny
        The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

35. jedimyrmidon says:

So Mason Raymond is getting a PTO with the Leafs. How do they figure fitting Kadri, Franson and Raymond with under 5M left under the cap?

36. chanchilla says:

anyone else find it strange Leafs sign Raymond to a tryout contract when they still have to sign kadri and franson?

if raymond makes the team they definitely don’t have enough to sign both Franson and Kadri, they probably don’t have enough to sign both of them to begin with..

I hate the f#$%%n’ Bruins.

38. habsfor25 says:

Can’t believe the season is around the corner. Time is moving way to fast but I won’t complain, I’ve missed hockey!!

39. JUST ME says:

Hard to take any of this seriously.
    They all seem to be great kids and promissing talents but the thruth is that most of them won`t make it to the NHL,some will be traded away,others will not even make it to the AHL. It is a game we play cause most of them do not have all the skills to call them a complete player and most of them don`t even have the desired weight to be able to face a grown man.
    One sure thing is most of them are 2 to 4 years away from the final judgment so it is far fetched to try to fit them in in the team as it is now .

• Mattyleg says:

So what do we do?
      Ignore the entire thing?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’d say we denounce them and point out their shortcomings, even if we haven’t seen them more than once or twice!

I think this camp is pretty interesting, actually. I can’t get wound up about it, but it is a sign.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This all fun but the reality is we will not know anything until they play in Hamilton. Our best all dominated in the AHL: PK, Price, Max, Eller, Gally and even DD.

40. Stevie.Ray says:

So the Hamilton Bulldogs defence is shaping up to look like…

Beaulieu – Pateryn
    Tinordi – Nygren
    Ellis – Dietz

And maybe throw in Grassi or Lashoff depending how training camp goes.

41. SSFN says:

Don’t think Eberle is made for the NHL just yet. Gotta put on some beef.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

He’s just hoping to make Hamilton.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

Question!
    Is RDS showing the preseason games.???

43. Maritime Ronn says:

Sorry HOI if it’s hard to take any report seriously about the Habs Rookie Camp.

This is like reporting about a children’s birthday party.
    You may learn a tiny bit about the child’s character and how he handles himself, but the birthday party is just a child’s fantasy.

All the children return to their real worlds when the candles are blown out, and then their work ethic and learning abilities will be judged both daily, and at later date while they grow up.

Judging any birthday party kid with a colored hat singing a song – and trying to project where they will be or how they will turn out, is an almost complete waste of time – Feel good, yes, but nothing more.

• HabFab says:

All prospects are suspect until they proof otherwise…

the rest is just entertainment.

• Mattyleg says:

This is about seeing where they are right now.
      It’s a check-in.
      The Habs’ top brass get regular info about how the kids are doing, but they don’t have time to check them out themselves.
      This is a way of putting names to faces.
      Same goes for us fans.
      We see who they are, and then when we hear about them in Hamilton, we know who they are, and are able to track their development.

Your evaluation of Rookie Camp seems unnecessarily jaded.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. Epic says:

WOW did Eberle ever knock that dude into the next decade!

He’s a better fighter than McCarron (but then again so was Keith Manguson :P ).

If he does that to a Bruin (any Bruin) in an exhibition game, he will become a fan fave.

45. Un Canadien errant says:

Nick Canepa is back writing columns for the San Diego Union-Tribune after a long illness. He doesn’t always hit a home run, but he made solid contact with this one:

New head coach “Mysterious” Mike McCoy hasn’t said anything significant publicly since he told his bride, “I do.” Norv (Turner), who could put hummingbirds to sleep, was Rodney Dangerfield next to this guy, and the single biggest complaint about Turner was his personality.

“We didn’t hire an entertainer, we hired a football coach,” Telesco says.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Norf was an embarrassment…always about to cry after every loss…good riddance.

46. Sportfan says:

I think I forgot, but if Nygren didn’t make the team he’d play in Hamilton right? Or is he going back to Sweden, or was it Collberg?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

47. Un Canadien errant says:

I like Faith and all, but Carrie is an upgrade.

48. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Tanner Eberle just became Frotenac’s favorite player…LOL.

Looking at videos of him on the net, he is at least 5’10″…no way 5’9″. He has a lot of guts…definitely a “spark-plug” type of player (like Dumont). Hope the Habs give him a shot.

49. Epic says:

We seem to have a lot of promising prospects.

I’m not sure about Eberle. He seems like a poor man’s Gallagher, but like Gallagher, the size factor is an issue.

50. JohninTruro says:

Nice to see Fucale stopping some pucks.