Early Turnarounds Mark First Week

First, for those not able to watch the opening ceremonies at the Bell Centre last night (the NHL Center Ice package carried the Pittsburgh telecast) here is how it looked on RDS….

sPtltleEP5U

Et maintenant, Mesdames et Messieurs, from the NY Times Slap
Slot blog:

It’s still early in this N.H.L. season but it’s impossible to ignore
the turnarounds and successes of last year’s non-playoff teams so far.
They have combined for 19 wins, while losing 12 in regulation and two
after regulation, which is 40 of a possible 66 points. Meanwhile, last
year’s playoff teams have won 22, lost 18 in regulation and nine after
regulation, getting only 53 of a possible 98 points.

The Oilers and Stars are both 2-0. So are the Hurricanes and also the
Lightning, following their 4-3 overtime win in Montreal Wednesday
night, despite having fallen behind 2-0. They outscored the Habs, 4-1,
over the next 44 minutes and out-shot the Canadiens, 47-27. Only the
excellent play of Carey Price (talk about a turnaround) kept Montreal in
it.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Early Turnarounds Mark First Week”>>

Agreed… just because TB beat us doesn’t mean they are a force. Leafs beat us too.

Kind of like Downie last night after Lapierre was already tied up by another TB player

3. joeybarrie says:

UH OH are the refs giving the game to the Blues like they did to the Lightning????????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. JIMVINNY says:

GUI, GUI, GUI, GUI… Oh, you meant figuratively. My bad.

5. JIMVINNY says:

Yep, real tough, Reaves. Gotta wait till your teammate comes in to help you with the big, bad, Tootoomonster.

6. saskhabfan says:

Not nearly as gutless as having 20 different user names.

7. K-hab25 says:

Ya, that was funny!! Pretty impressive when a guy that much smaller knocks the bigger guy out. Then when Reaves sees Tootoo is being engaged by another player, he jumps up like a tough guy and starts throwing punches, chump.

Carbo rebooted.

9. K-hab25 says:

I was just telling my son, how I thought Nashville is the best coached team in the league. It’s amazing how well they play, with half the line up being guys I’ve never heard of.

10. Bill says:

Haha, the JM funshow continues. Moen instead of Pouliot, yes, THAT will make Gomez less of a stiff. THAT will prevent the Habs from getting outshot 2-1. Martin’s answer is always Moen … love Moen, but jeez.

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. Everlasting1 says:

Awesome , thanx.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

12. Caballero says:

Yeah, put Moen on the first line. That will improve things.

13. JIMVINNY says:

lol @ Tootoo. A huge d-man (Reaves) goes after him because he hits Dags pretty hard, so he drops the gloves quickly and lands a good left which drops Reaves. Reaves plays possum and goes down, but gets up shortly thereafter to throw some shots at Tootoo. Panger calls it a cheap shot because it came so fast, but what is Reaves expecting? I’m not a big fan of Tootoo, but if some monster is coming after me with bad intentions, I’d use any advantage I have.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Trotz and Poile should just abandon ship in NSH the next time a money franchise cleans house, they could build a contender if they had the cash.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I wish Barry Trotz could speak French.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Would be a massive improvement for sure.

17. K-hab25 says:

6 goals on 64 shots – Price has given up 9 on 110 shots, 6 on his last 86 shots (last 2 games). Look at the shot total differential. Price faced more shots last game, 48, than Halak had in his first two combined, 44. Halak must feel like he’s in heaven facing under 25 shots a game, after facing 35 shots a game with the Habs. I think his SV% will drop, kinda like Brodeur’s is usually under .920, because of a lack of SA, but his GAA is always very low. Too bad we can’t figure out how to do the same. I’m not the “blame the coach” kinda guy, but I’m really getting frustrated with our “defensive minded” coach’s system.

18. andrewberkshire says:

You’re correct that he used to be employed by the Coyotes, but he was let go when they went through their overhaul last year. He’s still a homer for them though.

19. andrewberkshire says:

Defensively I mostly agree, but he’s alright offensively.

20. joeybarrie says:

To those who think T.O. and Tampa are going to be the powerhouses in this league this season I say this…

Last season Atlanta was 4-1 in their first 5 games, Edmonton was 6-3 in their first 9 games, and the Washington Capitals were 2-4 in their first 6…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

21. JIMVINNY says:

If you have cable or satellite, you shouldn’t need to sign up. It should just be there. Or try this;

22. TomNickle says:

It’s early and I love Scott Gomez but I’d love to wake up tomorrow morning and see on Sportscentre that Gauthier swung a three way deal that landed us Brad Richards and shipped Gomer out.

Sorry Scott.  You’re still hilarious.

I gotta think he was #1 on Gainey’s wish list before he acquired Gomez.

23. JIMVINNY says:

Ah. I thought he was the coyotes cheerleader. Didn’t know he had gone to the blues. Point still stands, though.

24. JIMVINNY says:

Gui! takes a dumb penalty, whines all the way to the box, Penner drills a one-timer in 19 seconds into the PP to tie the game. Back to the fourth line, Gui.

25. TomNickle says:

Lehtonen is close to Rask’s level when he’s 100%

But so is DiPietro.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

You know, when Lehtonen isn’t hospitalized, he’s a pretty good goalie, Datsyuk just tried to deke him on a breakaway and he didn’t bite.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. TomNickle says:

Jones isn’t NHL quality anymore 😉

28. Everlasting1 says:

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.

No need to update the Halak fans, they’re following.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

29. andrewberkshire says:

Panger also works for the Blues, and has since the beginning of last year. That’s why he’s such a homer.

30. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed about most of what you said, but Tampa has Hedman, Ohlund, Jones, Clark and Kubina that are all NHL defensemen. Not the best core out there, but NHL quality.

Toronto on the other hand you’re bang on. Their best center is Bozak, and I’d rather have Eller.

On a side note, ffs Halak can you make a frickin’ save? Killing one of my pools.

31. Xtrahabsfan says:

What no F’bombs tonight Newfie-iceman -Hulk -WHATEVER YOU ARE? Do you swear at the students at the school you work at as well? Bet you do!

32. Everlasting1 says:

Don’t really care to sign up for that. The nhl real time ticker will have to do for now lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

33. TomNickle says:

4 goals on 20 shots to one of the most offensively challenged teams in the NHL?   Ouch.

34. JIMVINNY says:

Watching the Blues game, hating that Panger is being a blues Homer just because the game is on FSBlues. Just shows how much of a sellout these broadcasters can be.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Rangers started off to a great start last season, didn’t do much for them over the year. Canadiens looked pretty dominant over their first 10 as well in the 08-09 season some of us wish we could forget. Early starts are good but it’s all about the finish.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. TomNickle says:

The knee jerk reactions on this site have me laughing.

Tampa and Toronto are forces to be reckoned with in the East apparently.

Well.  Tampa doesn’t have a starting goaltender and only have three NHL defensemen.  I don’t care if you’ve got Scotty Bowman on your bench, that’s gonna catch up with you.

As for Toronto.  They have an expensive group of defensemen that are unbelievably overrated.  Giguere isn’t getting any younger and they have no depth at centre.  They don’t even have quality at centre.

Anybody here think the Oliers are going to win their division because of their quick start?

It’s fun to get caught up in the early hype.  But 3 games does not a season make.

37. JIMVINNY says:

Center Ice free preview? 4-2 preds. Another PP goal.

38. savethepuck says:

Why don’t we have a little patience until our powerplay quarterback comes back from injury soon. I would love to see him and PK together back there.

39. TomNickle says:

Until their goaltending and lack of quality defensemen catch up with them.

40. B says:

Philippe Lefebvre has 15 points (7 goals, 8 assists) in 9 games with the Juniors.

Brendan Gallagher has 16 points (8 goals, 8 assists) in 10 games with the Giants.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Ovechkin was on track for 70+ last season before getting banged up in a game against CLB. Depends how he plays, he’s definitely been a better passer over the last year but above all else, he loves scoring goals and if he’s hot he’s going to keep going for them. He risks injury with his style, but right now he’s seemingly made of granite.

Stamkos is doing well right now, but I think he’s going to get less time and space this season over the long term, teams are going to want to find ways to force him off of his game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. Everlasting1 says:

Damn, lost the feed on the Blues game. Anyone have another link?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

43. sholi2000.com says:

I predict that I will watch the game and make my prediction after it’s over.  :)

They Call Me Shane

44. habs365 says:

I predict Habs will beat Buffalo Friday night

45. andrewberkshire says:

Had it been Price 3 goals that early it wouldn’t matter how good he was actually playing Shiloh would be screaming bloody murder.

46. krob1000 says:

Didn’t say I wasn’t a little more confident in my first bet lol …then again the LEafs are undefeated too.  I don’t know….I just think this is Stamkos’ year…..odds are definitely not on my side on that one I just think he relies on more than his skill and has that Brett Hullintangible ability to creat space….wide open space. Ovechkin can make something out of nothing and scores more wrist shots from the top of the circels or on harmless looking rushes than anyone I ahve ever seen but….. I really think Stamkos can score 60-65 this year…now Ovechkin has potential to pop 70 but I am thinking eventually he has on off year, tries to play a more responsible game away from the puck after watching every one else beat him with complete games (Crosby, Toews, Datsyuk,etc)and eventually he has to get hurt playing the way he does.  I put my cash on Stamkos…we’ll see how it plays out but I would not take my bet back despite definitely not being sober making it.

47. sholi2000.com says:

I wasn’t Rob, but they are starting to make me believe. I hate them!  :)

They Call Me Shane

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Ovechkin scoring at GPG rate at the moment, respect to Stamkos but Ovechkin… I don’t think anyone finds as many ways to score goals as he does. Ovechkin’s issue is the team around him expects him to carry the game, aside from Backstrom who will take over as well but they always expect Ovechkin to get them going. He doesn’t play well, they won’t really pick up the slack.

That and Mike Green… he’s got to work on his D, Carlson and Alzner injected into the blue line could boost things their way.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. king ddd says:

some people in the montreal media seems to think we are doomed w/o MAB!
    got i hate him, no offense but defensivly he is brutal. id rather have a
    terrible pp than having him. why can we we give a chance to matt carle,
    or atleas webber ( yeah he f**ks up a lot but, we cant have him in the
    minors for ever). besides he cant be any wors than MAB

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

50. krob1000 says:

I have two bets with the brother in law….one that the Habs will finish higher than Toronto and the other is I said Stamkos will get more goals than Ovechkin.  Steven Stamkos is every bit the sniper BRett HUll is but with better overall game….he is incredible at finding…correction….making passing lanes and creating seams for himself.  Add his speed, the talent and now depth he is surrounded with, his insane Gary Roberts off ice health routine, the pressureless atmosphere of Tampa…..I say between 60 and 65.  I think Ovechkin may be in for an off year myself…..I think he is strating to get sick of losing and just may start trying to play a better team game…if not he does have a better toolbox and a greedier personality but I still say Stamkos is your Rocket Richard winner this year.

51. JIMVINNY says:

Didn’t see goal #1 on Halak, but goal 2 was a pass on a 5 on 3 that looked a lot like Stamkos’ tying goal last night. No chance. Goal three was a good shot, but Halak dropped to his knees very early. Had it been Price, Shiloh would have been screaming.

52. krob1000 says:

Let’s be eralistic though….Yzerman and Boucher are getting all sorts of credit…and they have made some decent moves…..but Stamkos and Hedman…and even Downie, even Malone ……not their players…St. Louis and Vinny…not there’s either.  THose contracts are brutal but when supported by a better cast they are very, very dangerous.  Gagne is a great pickup and Tanguay at a bargain price adds depth but the core of that team is very good and they just needed some support…and it was coming bigtime in Stamkos, Downie, Hedman regardless of what other moves were made.  Moore is a great depth signing and I wish we had him still actually, and they have amdea few bargain deals…..but really….it is much like giving the new Chicago management all of the credit ofr last year…the main pieces were already in place.

53. habs4_25th says:

Like some other fans here would say how Halak would’ve won that game against Tampa , Price would’ve saved those goals…..:P

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

54. otter649 says:

Hamerlik is gutless – he has played well over 1,000 NHL games – How many have you played since you seem to be an expert on gutlessness………

55. noelsroyce says:

Some of those french numbers are hard to say. Way to go Gionta!!

~Erin

56. observer says:

like when they got lecavalier, stamkos was the star and they got him too. that d-man is another top pick star. the old finish last or near last method of building. yzerman already had a strong foundation. stamkos liable to score 60 this year. note- even the old stars there are not done- st. louis and lecavalier.

57. krob1000 says:

lol …….. I was never in on the PRice vs Halak stuff……just that if Prcie allowed three goals the usual suspects would be flooding the site with trash….I actually wish Halak all the best but the bandwagoners who think he is a superhero and hate Price deserve a little payback …no?

58. krob1000 says:

double post

59. SmartDog says:

I predicted this Ian.  Were you with me?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

60. otter649 says:

3-1 Preds over The Blues………

61. observer says:

he is one real good draft pick by the habs. eller looks like a very decent acquisition too. subban if they slow him down a bit now will be a star in the league and if price plays like he has the first three games, the future is good but for this year guys like the older d-men, pouliot and kostistyn must play a whole lot better.

Tampa is for real! leading Philly, and Moore has a goal and assist. Boucher and Stevy Y. have got it going on.!

63. joeybarrie says:

Funny, if it was Price there would be 500 I told you so posts around here. Thank God Price hasn’t hit his slump yet. Sucks for Halak… I hope he just gave up his last goal for the night and stones them for the next 2 periods…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

64. observer says:

hamrlick looked rusty? terrible last night. what he did on that first tampa bay goal was gutless.

Halak fans! UPDATE.

In the first perriod Nashville scores 3. Ooops, I think we got better than we gave up!!!

I think they wanted Price instead.!!!

66. observer says:

it’s the refs fault!

67. krob1000 says:

NEWSFLASH! Halak just made a save….

68. habs-hampton says:

A Friend of mine watched him on Sunday against Saint John. They lost, but he said Louis was like a man among boys.

I personally think he just needs to bulk up a bit and he’ll be ready.

69. krob1000 says:

now 3 goals on 9 shots …… I wonder if they are mock cheering him in St. Louis?

70. observer says:

halak allows 2 goals in first. in philly stamkos and moore goals have tampa bay up 2-1 in 2nd

71. nickster13 says:

So far our defence looks old and tired. Need a couple new faces in there. I sincerely hope Spacek and Hamrlik and maybe another arent back next year, its pretty sad so far how slow our defence is

72. Danno says:

Habs are 17th according to Fox Sports power rankings.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

73. Malreg says:

Anybody else notice that Ottawa’s goal song is now Vertigo by U2?

74. CBrady12 says:

Louis Leblanc has 13 points (4 goals, 9 apples) in 7 games with the Monteal Juniors.

75. petrov14 says:

Habs are 21st in the first THN power rankings of the season.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.