Audio, video and a Price classic

upload_feedback-1

Quote of the Day from Carey Price on the losing streak and his pink pads:
“I’m one loss away from putting on a garter belt.”

AUDIO of Jacques Martin, starting with no news on Max Pacioretty

Lines at practice: Kostitsyn-Eller-Darche,  Plekanec-Gionta-Moen, DD-Cammalleri-Cole and, wait for it, Nokelainen-Blunden-EMELIN!

What’s WTF in Russian?

No changes in D pairings.

PP Units: Cole-Pleks-Gionta-Cammalleri and Weber on the point; Eller-DD-AK46 with Diaz and Subban

From centre ice, while doing his stretches, P.K. rings one in off the post

•  •  •

Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside talk about Jacques Martin.

•  •  •

Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli is doing a conference call with the media today.

Pierre Gauthier isn’t.

1. Tony McLean says:

The emperor has no clothes so a garter would be an improvement.

———————————————————-
    Time to call a guy named Lou in NJ and ask for permission…

2. t1tan5 says:

Renaud Lavoie reports:

#canadiens Max Pacioretty as a partial tear. No breaks. Deep bruise. He could be back in action this week.

That’s good news!

• Nina76 says:

we seem to be accident prone…………on the news to-nite Martinsays that he does not read any papers or watch TV & is used to this kind of thing…I think that he should be doing the above he might learn a few things…………sometimes good advice from the fans…………..I for one do not believe that he is not aware of what is being said about him………….I beleive!!!!!!

3. LA Loyalist says:

Why we are not scoring on all these shots:

Watch highlights from four or five games any given night. Most goals are not pretty. They are manufactured. We do not, generally, go to the net and create chaos.

Pure scorers don’t shoot into the goalie’s logo. They try and go against the grain, use a screen, wait 1/4 beat or use a very quick release. Peripheral shots thrown at the net are never wasted, good things can happen, but they are low percentage.

I’d love to see a chart of where are shots come from compared with successful teams. The players we have who can and will go to the net and create a mess can be counted on one hand. Plex, MaxPax, Cole, DD (who is willing but not necessarily able), big AK when the mood is on him, and Cammi, when he feels like it. Eller may get there eventually.

We are not using are speed to create opportunities, either that or the system doesn’t allow it, or when we do create, we can’t finish.

That’s it in a nutshell. Of course having a QB like Markov would help. But if we wait for him it will be too late.

Basically, we are f*cked until the house is cleaned.

4. immortalhab says:

What about the torn ligaments in JMs head?

5. mrhabby says:

lots of rumours about max out with a broken wrist.
    what did the organization do to deserve such bad luck.

markov
    white
    gomez
    camm( back)
    campoli
    max p.
    spacek (back)

bloody frustrating…unreal.

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) all from JT’s blog:

…God to Jacques; “You’re asking a fast, skilled and not overly physical team to play a dump-and-chase, shutdown game. Let Me see, how can I explain this? It’s like asking the Queen to mud wrestle.”

…Jacques to God; “Um, is there any chance I can save my job?
    …The Almighty: There is a chance. All things are possible with Me. You must repent and put The System behind you. You must use the players I have given you properly and you must lay off the Brylcreem. It went out in the ’60s.”

…God to Jacques; “I’m…uh…sorry about the ears. That was an accident. Good luck!”

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

7. shiram says:

Never fear, Palushaj is here.(called up)

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

8. Laramy87 says:

Yahoo sports is reporting that Pacioretty has a suspected broken wrist, just wonderful!

If this is true, what did we do to get so damm lucky!

9. Sean Bonjovi says:

In other news:
    Ville Leino has one goal and one assist in seven games so far this season. The 28-year-old is now just 25 points shy of 100 for his career.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

10. otter649 says:

People who are wanting Kirk Muller to possibly replace Jacques Martin as coach – How come if he is so suitable to be a head coach for Montreal. Why did he not get hired as a head coach by other NHL teams this past summer ?

11. Sean Bonjovi says:

I don’t think we’ll see Emelin on the wing on Wednesday. If Weber practiced as a defenceman then he is in and Emelin’s out, but with Max Pac needing the day off from practice someone had to skate on the wing today and since Emelin was just standing around, they used him. I expect to see the same 18 skaters dressed tomorrow as I did last night.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

12. Chuck says:

Some great points from Scott Cullen at tsn.ca:

What makes Montreal’s 1-5-2 start so maddening is that the Habs are outshooting their opposition 33.9 to 26.6 on average. The margin of 7.3 shots per game ranks third in the league, so it’s a matter of getting some of the percentages to regress to the mean.

To wit, Montreal is scoring on 6.6% of their shots (which ranks 27th in the league), while opponents are scoring on 11.7% of their shots (also 27th in the league). Unless the Canadiens are taking unusually low percentage and allowing unusually high percentage shots, these numbers should not hold long-term.

By comparison, with Carey Price enjoying a strong season last year, the Habs allowed 8.1% of opponent’s shots to score, while scoring on a modest 8.2% in their own right.

Given the shot differential they are establishing this season, if those percentages come back closer to league average, the tide should turn, but if the Canadiens can’t get healthy, the odds are against the percentages turning in their favour anytime soon.

• habsnyc says:

The increase in shots taken is coming from Pacioretty and Darche, neither of whom is a proven scorer. I do not think those two players will keep taking a combined seven shots per game for the rest of the season. The regression is more likely to fewer shots taken and not to higher scoring percentage.

If the powerplay and penalty kill improve, Montreal will score on a higher percentage of their shots and stop a higher percentage of shots taken against them.

I need the data on from where Montreal is taking their shots to determine if they are snakebit or have poor shot selection. A power forward like Pacioretty should be scoring on 10% of their shots, not 5%. But the sample is so small that it is hard to reach a conclusion as to why his percentage is so low.

edit: I wish him a speedy recovery, but if Pacioretty has a broken wrist, the shots per game will be down by 5 in a hurry.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

13. krob1000 says:

Down with the sickness, down with the system!
    Kirkie made to leave us, the pp misses him
    Down with the coach, down with the system
    Kids walk for nothing, too many to list them

Trap this, trap that, your young then your sat
    who needs to score? not the 7 million dollar cat?
    PP’s, 5 on 3′s we need grinders for that
    Killin Penalties is where our stars be at

Huffin and puffin when we need em the most
    Pleks needs a puffer while Darche hits the post
    Seen this movie before we know how this goes,
    D playin forward, Jacques in his thinkers pose

down with the sickness, down with the system
    If Jacques were to leave would anybody miss him???

14. slamtherimtim says:

I suggest everyone have a drink or smoke , and save some anger for tomorrow , this is going to be a long week ,

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this is now ‘the opportunity’ for Geoff Molson to put His imprimatura on this Team’s painting
    …it’s like is He going to remain happy and Devil-may-care selling Us Ladas On Ice because He has the market cornered ? …or, will He say to Himself I think I and My Fans deserve a Lamborghini On Ice ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

16. Neutral says:

Chris Neil – Not a bad 3rd liner and tough to go with it. what would you have to give up?

17. joshua94k says:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Gauthier cannot replace Martin immediately. How about confiscating his notepad so that Martin has to coach the team for a change. Maybe he will notice how many players are on the ice at a given time…

• TommyB says:

That’s not a notepad, it’s a “Line-O-Matic”. It works like those word search puzzles. You know, you find names in the jumbled mess, whether across, down, diagonally, or backward. Just find 3, circle them, and voila…a line.

• CanadienBoy says:

Yes he can, let Cunnyworth and is assistant take over ,we got nothing to lose

18. Habsrule1 says:

Ok. I don’t think the Habs have played that bad, but this is my wishlist:
    1) GM: Wayne Gretzky
    2) Coach: Patrick Roy
    3) Scott Hartnell
    4) Veteran Defenseman
    Thoughts?

Go Habs Go!!

• king ddd says:

no more rookie gm and rookie coaches. id rather wait till next year and find some one suitable for the job

Agree if changes happen this year any replacements are tagged “interim” then we can have that exhaustive search again like we had when hiring Gauthier….. oh man I am bitter today, I just slagged Gainey.

• Habsrule1 says:

Let’s get some suggestions.
        My thought for Roy is that he has been a head coach long enough, albeit in the Q. He also has the passion and communication skills. The catch is if we get a good young coach, we need to leave him in place for at least 3-4 years without firing him at the first sign of trouble.
        Gretzky is a very good hockey mind. His first stint as a coach may not have been great but I still think he can put a strong team together.
        That being said, I’m not against experienced coaches, but I’m also tired of the dinosaurs.

Go Habs Go!!

• JF says:

Gretzky put together the Olympic team that finished 7th (I think) in Turin.

As for Patric Roy, he’s far too egotistical and unstable.

• Habsrule1 says:

Actually, Gretzky was GM of the team that won Gold in 2002.
            Patrick Roy was the same way while winning Stanley Cups and a Memorial Cup as a coach.

Go Habs Go!!

• JF says:

Gretzky put together the Olympic team that finished 7th (I think) in Turin.

As for Patrick Roy, he’s far too egotistical and unstable.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1) Wayne Gretzky? I like it. Way to think outside the box. Problem is he is still owed huge $$ by the NHL.

2) Yes.

• Tony McLean says:

Sub Robinson as coach and I’m in.

———————————————————-
      Time to call a guy named Lou in NJ and ask for permission…

19. immortalhab says:

Bruins will always call us divers but their style of play led to what?? A whole six cups. Well, at least we’re not cheap. Scotty Bowman even said that in Boston, they used to do a horrible job of cleaning the ice in their end to try to slow the Habs down.

You know what?? At least the Flyers know their dirty and own up to it. The Beuins are the biggest crybabies in the league. The refs practically hug them when they score but they bawl like babies when they think someone did something to them.

20. J_P says:

I cant take these constant line changes, and D on the 4th line.
    Its getting out of control.

PIERRE GAUTHIER: GET RID OF MARTIN ALREADY. I PROMISE NO HAB FAN WILL HOLD IT AGAINST YOU AND THINK YOU JUST DID IT TO APPEASE THEM!

21. krob1000 says:

Down with the sickness, down with the system!

22. HABSIN09 says:

No kidding. Exactly the type of player we need. Tough, good hitter, can play hockey.

23. Greg says:

I wonder what it would take to pry Chris Neil out of Ottawa?

• J_P says:

Now there’s an idea! However, thats a move I would make to put my team over the top, not one that I would make in hopes of making us competitive. Neil is a complimental player not a savior.

24. TINMAN17 says:

@joshua94k: in response to your response of HabsFanMTL – That’s the reasoning that finds us in this mess. I’d take a hundred double-minor boarding penalties instead of one more too many men. Start hurting, I didn’t say injure, some people and maybe opposing teams will think twice about chippy play. Down here in Bruinville everyone calls this team the”Montreal Diving Team”. I’d much rather “dirty” or “cheap-shot”. It is disgusting to watch nobody stand up for a) themselves b) a teammate, especially the goalie. Someone sucker punch the next guy who even breathes on Price, Plecks, Cammy, DD, Patches, or PK. This pussy-footing around nonsense sucks. Where is the “ESPRIT DE CORPS”?

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• TINMAN17 says:

By the way they even have tshirts that I see everywhere, with 67 and Pacioretty on the back and a pic of a diving player on the front under the name “Montreal Diving Team”!

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• ed lopaz says:

I saw Emelin hit someone last week very hard – it was in the Buffalo game – and I believe it was Buffalo’s sht disturber, Patrick Kaleta.

the camera switched to the Habs bench right after the hit.

there were about 5 or so Habs on their feet – clearly excited by the hit – and then talking to each other about how impressive it was that Emelin had just wiped out that douchebag Kaleta.

If I was the coach, and Emelin comes back to the bench, I go right over to him and let him know that it is plays like that which will keep him in the NHL for a long time.

Our coach was taking notes on how to convert Emelin to a power forward.

Its time for a change.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…100 %
      …We are ‘the hippies’ of the NHL …ugh ! …Peace Man !
      …after Carey, DD and PK are man-handled, We raise Our fingers in a V
      …I’d much prefer We gave the man-handlers a punch in the mush
      …this a big-part of the reason that Our Fans are saying enough is enough to Martin and Gauthier
      …all good reading to contemplate Our tender side at times, but human nature being what ‘it is’, when You are too soft, there are those that WILL take advantage
      …that’s the reality of Life …and THAT is the reality of Hockey
      …Hockey is NOT the ideal sport for a pacifist

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• TINMAN17 says:

I hear that. If you can’t stand the fire…
        How disgusted do you get when everyone stands around watching a Habs player getting pushed around. Some (Diaz, Cole) pretend nothing is happening and just skate away to the bench. I don’t care if your small, look at Gio, he get’s in there in a heartbeat. If I were their teammate there would be a fight in the lockerrroom.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Nina76 says:

I agree Habitant we are to so0ft & all the teams know it we are easely intimadated…………..crash their goalie like they do ours

25. krob1000 says:

So we need to go 45 and 29 now to muster 94 points which may or may not get you into a playoff spot …. we could go 40 wins, 24 losses and 10 OTL’s…but no matter how you slice it this slump is huuuuge and has made things very, very difficult….more difficult than we want to admit. Is it time to make some drastic changes? Maybe not now but another 3 or 4 games of this and we are pretty much cooked … I seriously think if healty we are a top 5 conference team …after this start, witht he injuries…there is a very real possiblity we are lottery pick territory depending on how long before we get healthier on the back end. We have enough depth to manage up front but Markov was a tremendous loss without Wizniewski and Hammer around….we could have survived a loss to anyone except Markov or Price IMO…
    that’s the way the cookie crumbles I guess…

26. HabFanSince72 says:

1. It is clear we aren’t winning the cup this year.

2. Bruins and Flyers among others will take relish in not only beating us but roughing us up. Martin doesn’t care (remember his reaction to the MaxPac incident), but I hate to see it.

3. Teams will continue to take runs at Carey Price.

Conclusion?

We need a goon. No, not a Konopka who can take face offs and wrestle other middleweights to a draw, but an honest to goodness borderline psychopathic goon. A guy who if he wasn’t in the NHL would be in some godforsaken penitentiary in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

Someone like Trevor Gillies.

He can’t have the BGL code though.

• ed lopaz says:

I think it is very possible, that if the Habs are being beaten against the Bruins late in the game – and the game is out of reach –
      you will see Price throw his mask off and fight.

It is extremely rare for a goalie to fight a skater.

But looking at Price lately, I think he is getting ready to do it.

(He will have to shed his upper body pads as well)

• Bill says:

I can’t tell how much of this is humour (’cause there’s some comedy gold in there Jerry!) and how much is serious.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hoegarden says:

Hate to agree but before we lose Price (injury or otherwise) it will have to be such. I am still fuming over Grabosky playing rodeo on Price’s back while Diaz was watching, wondering what to do next.
      I find it hard to believe that everyone involved in the running of this team is not getting the simple message that you need to protect your assets.

Kessel, 15 points.

21, 14, 11, 72 and 67 = 14 points. Need we say more.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Martin rewards Diaz by benching Emelin Monday night. I honestly expected to wake up today & read that JM is gone. He may not be our only problem but definitely the biggest.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

• Chris F says:

How many more losses does it take before every single poster on here agrees that our team is just tooooo small, with no big brother to save the little guys from beatings in the corner, and no bruising D men to save Price and the little wee D men we have from getting cross checked and face washed after every whistle?
      Never mind having forwards on the opposing team skating over the blue line like it’s non-contact hockey.

Heard a line on Melnyk’s show today

If the System wins a Stanley Cup do the players still get a ring or just the System.

28. T-roy West says:

For the person comparing Rene Bourque’s aggressiveness to that of Kostitsyn’s well you must be losing it. How many time have you seen AK46 cut to the net? How many times has he dropped the gloves and defended himself. Maybe you should youtube Bourque and clue into reality. I mean this in the nicest way, lol.

Just listened to the videos. Carey has lots of polish these days. He can be speaking for a minute and a half and rattle off every cliche in the book. Having said that, you gotta love the garter belt line.

Cammy and Gionta. I would really like to know why we broke with tradition and named the captain instead of letting the players vote. If they did have a say, I wonder who they would have chosen. Cammy? Gionta? Markov? None of the above?

Regardless, all three of these guys have to step up their games this week.

30. samTHEman says:

If Gauthier absolutely has to press the panic button by acquiring a D-man, it better be one who can consistently clear the net. Don’t want to see anymore small, soft, puck-moving defense man FFS.

———————————————————-
    It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

31. showey47 says:

Bodog has a wager going if JM will be fired by nov.30th.

32. homerbowen says:

While the season is still early I don’t see a lot of upside with our team nor do I see future “hall of famers” in the minors/jr. So I’m ready to blow it up!!!

!) Replace PG (no suggestion to fill)
    2) Replace Martin (suggest Patrick Roy)
    3) Only untouchables would be, Price, Subban, Pleks, Max Pac and Cammalleri.

Our current roster lacks real hockey (scoring) skills, is to small, too light, and really delicate (injury prone). Our D is either very slow or very soft but in any event there is not a team in the league that respects (fears) them. The team in general appears to lack intensity, drive, coordination and leadership.

I hate to say it but start over or we’ll be crying this same tune in another 20 years.

Always Go Habs Go.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) what makes Our current malaise and disorientation even more frustrating and soul-sucking is da Turdranna MuppleWeeds’ bell-curve is orienting ‘upwards’ while Ours is plunging towards Federal Reserve intervention mode
    …if Joe Colbourne turns-out to be even a Joe Thornton lite …I will plunge into hara kiri despondency :(

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

34. Ali says:

Wonder if we’ll ever see such humility from our GM?

• C_exacte says:

PG’s gonna smirk his way out all the grilling with his as per usual quippy comeback “well like i said to our depisteurs, we have Monsieur Bournival so STFU!”

35. HabsFanMTL says:

how bad can our D be really? we allowed 2 goals last night …..but i do agree we need size and grit to avenge any price bashing, Bring up Alex Henry , he isn’t any slower than Hal Gill, he is tougher than Hal Gill , he gives hard body checks unlike Hall Gill and he drops the gloves Unlike Hall Gill. And if anyone dare hit Carey Price, u can be sure Alex Henry will make him pay !

• joshua94k says:

Henry will then go to the penalty box and the Flyers will get a powerplay goal….

36. Derek2 says:

Has anyone considered that JM might actually be suffering from encroaching middle aged dementia?

These line combos are almost like the Monty Python skit where the drill sergeant has the troops practicing how to kill someone with a vegetable. If they get good at that, they graduate to pointy sticks.

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

37. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I get the spread out the scoring, 3 lines theory when we’re healthy, but doesn’t it make sense to now, accept our fate and put out two stacked (relative to our scoring prowess) instead of trying to spread it over three? Something like,

Cammy-Pleks-AK
    Cole-Eller-Gio

Or DD in Eller’s spot, not as a knock on Eller, but he might be better suited to a more grinding line with Darche and Moen.

Just a thought.

Also, in the interests of completely delusional optimism….maybe a lot of adversity early in the season is better than a mid-season slump? Like maybe this will make the team band together and they’ll turn things around and what doesn’t kill them makes them stronger?

Maybe?

The problem is that we can’t call this a slump (not that you did specifically). In order for this to be a slump we would have needed to have played better earlier in the season.

I like your first lines, unforunately, I am not sure where DD fits in long term on this team. We have to get bigger at Centre position.

38. Derek2 says:

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

39. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Let’s start the two pools, next win and Martin’s head on a platter.

I say we win in Boston (lose to Philly and back here on Saturday)

Martin is gone Sunday morning regardless. A couple days for the new fella to start to implement his plan before the next game.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

40. hansolo says:

Are all the folks horrified by Emelin practicing as a forward also the ones who say we need a gritty 4th liner? Y’all haven’t forgotten we’re playing Philly and the Bruins, have ya? If this is a way to keep Emelin in the game, along with BOTH the experienced Spacek and the defensively superior Weber (at least by stats), why not? I don’t think it’s permanent assignment, so we don’t all need to lose our cookies over it. Emelin could also play point on the PP. It’s just a practice and may not be implemented in the game at all. If you don’t try it, you’ll never know if it would have worked out. I think the plan would had been for Diaz to sit out 1 or 2 of those games but the injury to Max nullified that idea. Be prepared for Diaz to make some defensive errors — but we’re going to let the kids play, right?

Criticize JM for other things — having Dezzy over Nokia for a crucial F/O, not trying Cole on the PP, having Darche on a 5 on 3 pp — but not this. It’s just a practice.

Oh, BTW, WTF? in Russian is что ебет?

Mr. Solo, while I indeed want a bigger 4th line, it appears Emelin has little to no experience playing forward. It also is true that he has little to no experience playing Defence on North American Ice. So of all our Dman who are facing a big enough struggle at this juncture, why pick Emelin to move to forward. Especially when you have Weber who has done this before. Weber can still play point on PP.

Boston and PHilly will present far bigger physical challenges to our Dmen in our zone than Florida. I personally feel Emelins size is far greater needed on the Defence than at forward for these games.

And if it is just for practise, again I ask, why eff around with Emelin. And if it is just for practise, does that mean we aren’t dressing Emelin for Philly?

• hansolo says:

HIB, I respect your opinion — you may well be right and I agree Weber has played forward more than Emelin. Believe me, JM makes it hard to for anyone to defend him, and I’m not saying he’s the greatest coach ever. (That guy in Pittsburgh is looking pretty good right now — but we still beat him in the playoffs as did Boucher last year). But I suppose he’s trying to get the best defense out there while not losing any more grit than he has to. It may not work out at all. But Emelin over Weber on the 4th line means Weber will in all likelihood play more — which I assume is what JM wants. His being on the 4th line does not preclude his also playing D. Emelin is also no fighter. His grittiness will be primarily in checking. If Max hadn’t gotten injured, I don’t think we’d be seeing this: Emelin would have played defense in place of Diaz.

• Bripro says:

100%.
        At this point, as you pointed out, he’s adjusting to N. Amer. ice surfaces, rather well I might add.
        His vantage point as a forward changes completely, and I’m sure it would be too overwhelming for him…for now.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Agree that Weber should be the forward. He will be out muscled by the big Boston and Philly guys behind our net. Just watch it. Emelin is much tougher and he is learning fast. NO DIAZ. These are games for men.

• Jordio-oh says:

I hope you’re not considering Weber better defensively solely by +/- statistics. Emelin has more hits, blocked shots and less giveaways than Weber does.

I agree with your assessment with regards to stressing over the use of Emelin as a 4th liner in practice, but +/- is far from a tell-all statistic. By that measure, Matt D’Agostini is the best defensive forward in the league and we all know that is not the case.

• hansolo says:

Agreed Jordio-oh. Emelin also has played against tougher opposition and had fewer O-zone starts than Weber. As I said, I think JM is just trying to see how he could have the best of all possible worlds against 2 formidable opponents. I at least give him credit for thinking about something and trying it out. I don’t excuse all the other questionable coaching decisions he’s made.

41. Habitoban says:

On lack of goal production and JM’s need to mix up lines: In the corporate management world there is this notion that if staff have core competencies then they can work anywhere in the organization. Martin’s approach seems the same.

He seems to believe that if you know how to play left wing, then you should be able to play on any forward line. This may be true of defensive play, where your responsibilities are structured and individualized, and focused on stopping the other team from creating scoring chances.

But offence requires you to create scoring chances, and that creativity is loosely structured and shared with your linemates, and needs the chemistry that develops and grows when lines are kept together.

• Derek2 says:

Good analogy. May work in the corporate world. He seems to want to take the instincts of top players, finely honed over years of practice and break them down. Same kind of philosophy as the Armed forces. Break the individual and absorb them like the Borg into this mess

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise