Audio, video and a Price classic

upload_feedback-1

Quote of the Day from Carey Price on the losing streak and his pink pads:
“I’m one loss away from putting on a garter belt.”

AUDIO of Jacques Martin, starting with no news on Max Pacioretty

Lines at practice: Kostitsyn-Eller-Darche,  Plekanec-Gionta-Moen, DD-Cammalleri-Cole and, wait for it, Nokelainen-Blunden-EMELIN!

What’s WTF in Russian?

No changes in D pairings.

PP Units: Cole-Pleks-Gionta-Cammalleri and Weber on the point; Eller-DD-AK46 with Diaz and Subban

From centre ice, while doing his stretches, P.K. rings one in off the post

•  •  •

Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside talk about Jacques Martin.

•  •  •

Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli is doing a conference call with the media today.

Pierre Gauthier isn’t.

1. JF says:

It’s mind-boggling how catastrophic the decisions made in the off-season are turning out to have been. How could the Habs not have had a Plan B in place in case Markov could not start the season? How could Gauthier possibly have gotten us into a position on defence where we are relying on three NHL rookies and a fourth player who is only one season away from his rookie year? He goes out and signs two European players who did well in their respective leagues but whose ability to perform in the NHL is a complete unknown. Both might get to be very good, but their inexperience is putting pressure on the rest of the defence, resulting in costly mistakes. Meanwhile Buffalo traded for Robin Regehr and signed Christian Erhoff, and Toronto traded for John Michael Liles. For starters. I mean there were guys out there…

I’ve talked in other posts about Gauthier’s failure to put together an effective fourth line. How could he or whoever was advising him have thought Engqvist was NHL-ready? He’s finally gotten us a fourth-line centre who can win faceoffs, although perhaps not as good a one as he could have gotten. The guy gets to take four faceoffs in last night’s game, wins them all, but is mysteriously on the bench for an important late-game faceoff.

And now it seems that we’re going to be forced to use a defenceman as a forward tomorrow. For the love of God, at least let it be Weber who has some experience as a forward. It seems we barely have an NHL lineup at the moment; could we at least use the players in the positions they do best at?

2. shiram says:

JM in his audio says he is aiming for 96 points this season, and just barely scraping into the playoffs.
    Not very encouraging thoughts…

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

3. stevieray says:

Emelin as a forward…WTF ..indeed
    Lines a practice …Moen/AK/Eller broken up ..WTF
    That line to me is the only line the Habs have who can play in today’s NHL…. Nujmerous times last nite I say Cammy/Giota & Pleks ,,,shoved of the puck ,…easily..
    Management’s signing of the 3 ( here I go again) smurfs ..I believe was done in reponse to the NHL’s crackdown on clutchin and grappin’..although in good attentions ….it has backfired..since hockey today is all about winning battles along the boards..something we stuggle with and the main reason we can’t score 5 on 5 …
    Will atleast we’re improving …no 2 many men penalties anyway !!! we can only go up !!
    enough rantin’…back to the woodpile …winter is comin’ partner !

4. Old Bald Bird says:

I keep reading rants about all of the small players that Goat has brought in, but can only think of DD and Diaz as those who fit the bill, and they just seem to be lucky flukes that didn’t cost anything. Aren’t the tiny tots leftovers from the BG era? And aren’t we kinda-like-sorta-like stuck with them? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am used to being wrong.

• zak says:

Yup BG signed Gomez and Gionta

Hire the best regardless of language

• habsnyc says:

I have not seen anyone reference PG in those rants. But that entire argument of size vs. aggressiveness vs. skill is a canard.

The team is not really stuck. Plekanec and Cammalleri are good players with reasonable contracts and could be traded for equal value. Gomez could be sent to the AHL then waived or traded this offseason when the gap between his cap and cash salary makes him a steal. Spacek is in the final year of his contract and if the team had depth, could spent most of it in the press box. We are stuck with Gionta.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

5. C_exacte says:

& monday’s sacrificial goat is….the gaut. so who’s our new gm? bobby g part trois? andre savard part deux? Jessica Rusnak? a picture of Sam Pollock? Patty “I wouldn’t touch that job with a pole” Roy? Jacques Demer’s cough?

6. habs178 says:

While its agreed that we need help on the blue line, trading AK for a vet to fill the hole is NOT the solution…..and if it happens, I will truly have lost total faith in upper management.

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
    ~Jacques Plante

@Hab in Surrey, you posed the question perhaps PG offered Konopka a contract and he said no. I can tell you for a fact that PG never offered Konopka a contract. I liked the idea of getting him just because he gave us faceoff productivity and some abrasiveness. Having said that, JM doesn’t seem to like those players and Konopka has a terrible back and will be in and out of the Ottawa lineup all season. One of the few inside connections i have to the NHL so thought i would share.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I find the present situation rather surprising and not surprising
      …despite how We legitimately feel right now, most of Us felt We had a good Team going into this season
      …most of Us, though, knew someone like a Laich, Steckel, Kenopka or Gaustad-type was needed to add meat to Our sandwich, …as well a Hamrlik should be kept as a safety-valve because Markov was a question-mark
      …yet, all the injuries to Our back-end, especially, has exposed all the calculated-risks PG took over the summer
      …every thing wrong, that could go wrong, for PG has gone wrong :(

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Agree, from a skill perspective I thought our team was in good shape entering the season. However, always wanted our 4th line built upon Grit/Faceoff etc.. and 1 insurance bigger body on back end.

However, we also all believed that Markov was essentially looked at medically and thought to be essentially ready to go.

That Domino falling has just started alot of crap running downhill.

8. Maksimir says:

Darren Dreger kind of reports on Twitter that Calgary is shopping Rene Bourque… anyone think PG is kicking the tires on that one?

Maybe send Cammy back West?

• Habsolutely says:

knowing PG, he’ll probably trade Tinordi or PK for him.

• cuzzie says:

How did our last trade with Calgary workout?

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• shiram says:

Not one for one I would hope.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Desharnais and Weber for Bourque would work for me!

+1. We will be void of all D depth then, but I am still in favour. Alex Henry get your Habs jersey out of the mothballs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I seriously have never had a problem with Henry! He takes the body, puts the puck off the glass and out of the zone. we don’t need every defender making a tape-to-tape pass from the goal line to the red line!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

We have one who can at this point?

____________________________________________________
            They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• mongoose says:

Henry would provide some much needed grit.

Toronto Maple leaf fans and ignorance walk hand in hand in the land of stupidity

• shiram says:

Not bad at all.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Maksimir says:

Would they take Gomez and Weber?

• Jordio-oh says:

There’s no way Calgary makes that deal. Ever. Bourque is on contract for the next 5 seasons (including this one) at a cap reasonable 3.33 mill.

Us packaging up two players we know we manage without in order to obtain a guy who’s finished 2nd in goal scoring for the Flames in the last two seasons and has the same goal production as Gionta in his last three seasons?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I dunno, Weber could be a decent offensive defenseman on a team without size issues. He has some value.

Plus Bourque is falling out of favor in Calagary. They are trying to get rid of him.

• Jordio-oh says:

My original point stands. That would be like Calgary trading us Chris Butler and Matt Stajan for Gionta or Cammalleri.

No way. Not with “falling out of favor” or “decent offensive defencmen”

• Bripro says:

Are you guys nuts?
        DD- $750,000
        Weber – $800,000
        Trade for a semi-aggresive (can you say Kostitsyn?) at another $3.5MM cap hit for three years.
        End result? An even more depleted defence, and you get rid of a small, but very smart and talented forward as well.
        No deal for me…not even close.
        Alex Henry?….c’mon HB, now many times has he been in and out of mothballs? He’s gotta smell like my grandmother’s attic by now.
        If Calgary wants to add a decent draft pick, or a good minor leaguer 1-2 years away, then Maybe.

You are taking all the fun out of my today Bripro. Come on it is full blown panic mode.

Does your Grandma use those new Air Wick fresheners in her attic, or how about those scented candles that aren’t really candles but look like one.

• Bripro says:

I’d have to dig her up to ask her.
            Speaking of panic mode, I emailed my buddy this morning that they had traded AK to Ottawa, and brought back Ault to play him on the 4th line.
            He went out and bought paper bags to put over our heads for the next game.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Desharnais in nothing really man. We have plenty of small talented players. Sometime the best addition is subtraction.

$3.3 mill for Bourque ain’t bad.

And in regards to Henry, not a chance he plays on a team with a decent defense with size. Ours sucks beyond comprehension so I’d put him in there.

• habbernack says:

His wingers think DD is a good center man

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
            attitude determines how you do it

• shiram says:

I’m no seeing it for DD, he can do some good, but you have to give him 2 big gritty wingers for him to perform, and he is not winning his faceoffs either.
          Weber is the tougher piece to let go in that deal for me.
          Of course the cap hits would not work, but it’s just wild speculation, and I sometimes enjoy that.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

Worst case JM starts playing Bourque as our 3rd pairing Dman. Problem solved.

• shiram says:

Better yet, have the sitting goalie be the 6th dman, that way if goalies needs a switch, he will already be warmed.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Not a good idea as we would be 1.5 m nearer to the cap max. Bourque+Sarich+pick for Cammalleri maybe?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That’s the trade right there!

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• thehabsfan29 says:

why would we trade cammy….

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Because we would get bigger up front and some physical help on D. We shouldn´t be looking to trade Cammy but if the right offer comes in… I really like him but since the 2010 playoffs where he was fantastic he hasn´t been that great.

In my point of view this would be much better than giving them AK+ a pick. Why Bourque would be worth more than Kostitsyn is a mystery to me. Pretty equal players and salary but Andrei is more than 3 years younger.

I don’t understand why they are shopping him, good goal scorer and not afraid to get his nose dirty. While I would like him on our roster, not at the expense of Cammy. He is our best clutch goal scorer. However, I suppose it depends on how longterm forward this organization is looking now.

• BadHabit says:

Not convinced Cammy would waive his no-trade clause. I think they’d have to combine a ready-to-play NHLer as well as some prospects.

• thehabsfan29 says:

i would love bourque on the habs

i say AK46 and a pick for him

• HabFanSince72 says:

Bourque is over-valued. Coming off his two best seasons, but the consensus is he isn’t as good as his numbers were last year. Plus the only way we can accommodate him is to shed salary.

• T-roy West says:

See my posts from yesterday. I’ve been asking for this guy for a long time actually.

9. DEANDALLEY says:

Not one of my Predictions have come true so far this season.

The Habs will win the next three in a row ….

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

10. fun police says:

JM is getting Carboitis. symptoms include delusional attachment to fourth line players and occasional use of Dman on wing. Treatment should become aggressive once person exhibits advance symptoms such as suggesting team building exercises while bowling.

11. immortalhab says:

Put in the goalie we can spare. The Ruins and Sillies are gonna run all over him while our boys watch. And the refs aren’t going to do ANYTHING !

12. Habsolutely says:

Boston and Philly games are gonna be plain ugly.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bold prediction, they could go either way :-). It would help if Pacioretty was available!

I don’t think Martin has necessarily lost the room. Most guys on the team realize he’s gotten the most out of the lousy roster Gauthier has put together .

I think they’ll give it there all and if they fall short, i damn well hop that Gauthier is removed along with Martin, if Martin ends up getting canned.

I don’t like Gauthier’s philosophy of putting together a small and speedy team. Why not a big, tough and speedy team?

I breathed a sigh of relief when players like Petrov, Gilmour, Bullis and even Koivu moved on. I was optimistic that even though Gionta, Gomez and Cammalleri weren’t giants, that they possessed a little more spunk than the older smurfs.

But unfortunately when you have 4/6 players in your top six under 5’11”, it still doesn’t cut it. Add a soft and passive defense to that mix and you just can’t compete in today’s NHL.

Anyways, as I’ve said the a few times today, Gauthier should be on the hot seat before Martin.

• Thurston says:

Not to fear – the legendary Mike Blundin is here to add size to our lineup.

13. showey47 says:

If JM wants to dress a dman as a forward then it should be weber who at least has experience in that position at the nhl level. Weber can still get his minutes as a 4th liner and dman on the PP. Emelin’s big body presence is needed at the back end against teams like the bruins and flyers. Emelin has been playing about 15 mins per game on defense and has been effective both physically and making breakout passes. How many minutes do you think emelin is going to get as a 4th line forward? Maybe 5 at the most? So now you are asking other players who play extra minutes when the team has 3 tough games in 4 nights. How can a coach who has been in the league this long not have the foresight to see that? Like i said on the other page,with the players JM has to work with making line combinations and special team units should have been his easiest job.

14. Richard B says:

Remember when Plecks, Cammy and AK were the #1 line for about 6 games. (beginning of last season) Then becasue of the struggles of Gomez and Gionta JM mixed up the line and made Cammy play with Gomez for several games and then Cammy, and AK started playing poorly. then AK ended up in the dog house and Cammy was all pizzed off too?!!
    Dear JM! Plecks and AK have played well together for 3 or 4 years. They were hot when they had AK27 and then they were hot with Cammy.
    Y BREAK THEM UP!! AK AND PLECKS PLAY WELL TOGETHER. PLEASE REVIEW THE TAPES. I LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WOULD TAKE ONE SCORING LINE OVER NEITHER ONE. CAMMY ON A LINE WITH AHL’S AN’T THE SOLUTION

Richard B

15. Rudy says:

Isn’t there one day a month, where extra tickets are available for the next month’s games? I wonder if there will be a decline in how fast those tickets sell out while this losing streak is going on.

16. issie74 says:

There is nobody better out there.

All fans need to take a Valium.

NorthTOHab

17. Neutral says:

Well guy’s I know we need change. but who’s out there that’s better than we have now. why make changes for the sake of getting some new faces. we’re not all that bad up front. maybe not big enough or tough enough but other than that. that’s the only change I can see. the defence is our biggest problem and that’s because of inexperince. it can only get better or we don’t make the playoffs and if we’re not gonna make the playoffs. may as well stay at the bottom and hopefully get a good draft pick that can make the lineup next year. I haven’t gave up on them yet. a coaching change. who’s out there other than KIRK would want to coach this team. guess we’ll have to leave that decision to molson’s. I don’t know anyone. some of the names that has been mentioned has all been hired and fired don’t know what good that would do….

18. BadHabit says:

My two pennies are as follows:

* the Habs have been injured all season, particularly on D and now upfront;

* they’ve outshot most, if not all of their opponents (granted, many of those shots were from the perimeter) and are among the leaders in the NHL in terms of shots on goal;

* I’m not sure there’s any excuse for the interminable line juggling, particularly when certain guys are clicking together on a line – forget having 3 balanced scoring lines, at this point I’ll take just one!;

* Fearless prediction: if the Habs lose the next 3 games or 2 of 4, JM is out.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Benoit Pouliot. 7 GP. 0 goals. 0 assists.

See the news isn’t all bad.

20. eric says:

Scares me to think who PG is going to trade away to save his job and JM’s job. Things could get worse

21. NightRyder says:

I see the “rat” story can’t be accessed on habstalkradio. Anyone save a copy?

22. mike3131 says:

Two interesting facts about this season:

– In the first 8 games we played, we’ve had leads in 6 of them
    – We haven’t won a game against a team that existed last year

23. issie74 says:

As Pat Burns,would tell his players when everyone was chirping (press and fans) just win boys and it will all stop.

Do not fire JM.

NorthTOHab

• LA Loyalist says:

Do not fire JM? Based on what?

You can have your opinion, but at least have the stones to post an argument, as ill-considered as it might be.

Love your Pat Burns quote, though. Miss him.

24. JF says:

Emelin as a forward??? On the road trip from hell in the centennial season, Carbonneau used Josh Gorges as a forward against Edmonton. We lost that game 7-2. Carbo was in desperation mode at that point, and it looks like JM is too. Set the lines and keep them together. Let the guys get used to playing with each other. That way they’ll know who they’re skating with and at least avoid too-many-men penalties.

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…”Nokelainen-Blunden-EMELIN!” ?
    …I could see in Jacques Martin’s face behind the bench last night He hears the ‘conversation’, He KNOWS His time is numbered …IF He can not get a handle and get the Team back on the track
    …with Boston/Philthydelphia games imminent this is an interesting thinking outside the box gambit …’interesting’ in the sense We are all interested to find if something so inconceivable will work :)
    …We were not inside Pierre Gauthier’s head over the summer …maybe ?, He made offers to Kenopka, Steckal or similar and found they were not interested in playing in Montreal …I don’t know …BUT, in Jacques Martin’s defence, bottom-line, it is Gauthier’s responsibility to acquire the ‘Tools’ …and Martin’s responsibility to ‘use’ the ‘Tools’ to Their maximum advantage
    …for whatever reasons, so far, both JM & PG have not met Their responsibilities
    …it’s very early in the season, and circumstances have brought Us like sharks in the water in a blood frenzy
    …by instinct, I don’t enjoy allowing Myself to be carried away irrationally, and I don’t enjoy seeing a good man like Jacques Martin having to go through public angst and potential humilation …or for that matter a decent person like Pierre Gauthier either
    …if they were the coach and/or GM of Columbus, Nashville or even San Jose the process would be much less hysterical and unremorseful …but unfortunately the history and heritage of the Montreal Canadiens is ingrained into Our Fans …and, Our ‘standards’ of Our opinions of the product and style on the ice are hard-wired for something very much higher than what Messrs. Martin and Gauthier can deliver

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• 24 Cups says:

HS – The history and heritage of the Montreal Canadiens doesn’t mean that much anymore. In fact, it’s a curse. Baggage from the past that holds us back from really seeing what our team is all about. I love to reminisce like everyone else but our standards for the past 18 years have been pretty low.

The torch may have been passed but I’m not sure anybody was there to catch it. Not to mention that the league has changed radically since the glory days.

Boats against the current.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…”HS – The history and heritage of the Montreal Canadiens doesn’t mean that much anymore. In fact, it’s a curse.”
        …Steve, I could not disagree more
        …Our history and heritage is a blessing
        …I am sure ‘it’ is the reason We are both such avid, bewitched Fans of the Montreal Canadiens
        …the ‘history and heritage’ is I agree very difficult to live up to …and We have ‘lost Our way’ for almost 2 decades …but that is only because of recent incompetence
        …but, at least We have a rich, unsurpassed ‘history’ to use to re-set Our vision for the future

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

26. Le Jadester says:

Le Poll

Q: Who do you put most of the blame on for the Canadiens’ poor start this season?

Coach Jacques Martin (60%, 1,994 Votes)
    GM Pierre Gauthier (21%, 707 Votes)
    The players (19%, 646 Votes)

Total Voters: 3,347

We are the 81 %
    OCCUPY The Bell Centre !

The message is plain and simple: “FIRE Jacques Martin”

Habs, OLE !

27. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

WE NEED CHANGE!!

28. Neutral says:

when a team is averaging 2 goals for and 3 against you’re not gonna win many games.
    I notice he broke the lines up again in practice

Here JM try these lines:

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Gionta
    Cole – Eller – Kostitsyn
    Moen – Desharnais – Darche
    Nokelainen – Blunden – Weber

Weber because he’s had up front experience not Emelin.

29. Eric Danis says:

So let me get this straight, Jessica a reporter, points out the obviouse when it comes to Cole on the PP, he scores a goal or so it is believed, and this after she was insulted by JM about not nowing her stats. And wait!!! he doesnt use a Bored during the time out he just points and gestures. And yet theres more!!!! his teams is still out shootin and out playing opponents, and no scoreing chances are capitalized because there to nervouse to mess up the shot and be vulnerable if theres a turn over… if you ask me, when there is raw talent on your team and you cant use them properly its time to say bye bye charlie… find me some body else to love. it’s not the team that has a problem, its JM and PG, please Mr. Molson call you budd McGuire and Hire back Kirk Muller

• Mattyleg says:

My God.
      McGuire? That buffoon that nobody else wants?
      And Muller? That guy with no coaching experience?
      Not the answers, ED, not the answers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Eric Danis says:

First off Muller Knows the teams inside out and he is not unexperienced, you can say the same for Bailesma for pitburg before he took the rains, and McGuire has good contacts through the NHL and Has won the cup as a coach in pitsburg, he knows what is needed to succeed in this business and his style was not appreciated in early 90’s because they were made for the type of hockey we play now, and his mentor is the guy who won a crap load of cups in the 70’s named Scotty bowman, so what were you saying… thats right i guess you didn’t think about that…

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm. I thought all about that.
          And dismissed it all, unfortunately.
          Muller knows the Habs, but if we look at our track record with rookie coaches, I think you’ll find it’s not good. Kirk needs to be somewhere to get his coaching skills tuned, then he can come back. Not before that. Bylsma is coaching in Pittsburgh, not Montreal. There’s a big difference in pressure. Oh, and if you did your research, you’d find out that Bylsma COACHED the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, P’burgh’s AHL team.

As for Loudmouth McGuire, so what if he has ‘contacts’? All GMs have contacts, and I’m pretty sure that all the other GMs think McG is a moron, as he constantly proves in his tv appearances. All he ever does is react to things loudly. Not the kind of thing I’d want in a GM.
          And his mentor was Scotty Bowman? Scotty Bowman the GM? Demigogenes’s mentor was Plato. Never heard of him? There you go.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. Chris says:

I give up on Jacques Martin.

Whether there is any chance that Emelin ever plays a game as a forward is irrelevant. The kid was one of the few bright spots for a sorry, sorry team thus far, so of course he gets benched.

He is a defenceman, and should be getting his practice time in as a defenceman. To take away that practice time as a defenceman and use him instead as a forward is so hopelessly stupid that I don’t even know where to begin.

Like Carbonneau playing Metropolit on a 5 vs. 3 when the Habs were in the doldrums, an event that basically signalled the turning of the tide for many (including me) against Carbo, Martin is finally done as far as I’m concerned.

And then, after the failed experiments of using Plekanec and Kostitsyn at the point on the PP, we’re now using the one bona fide shooter that the Habs have down low and putting him a mile out at the point. Cammalleri is perhaps the worst defensive forward the Habs have, and he is being practised in a position where he could be the last line of defence on a PP? He’s being asked to block clearance attempts, something he’s utterly not suited for?

This team has become ridiculous in how it manages its assets.

• showey47 says:

What blows my mind is that with the players JM has to work with, making starting lineups and PP/PK combinations should have been one of his easiest jobs.

• habsnyc says:

Emelin is a third round pick from 2004 with no experience in North America. If the coach wants him to practice a couple shifts as a forward, this is not a big deal. Bowman did it in Montreal and in Detroit. That is not bad coaching.

Now the fact that this team did not know what goalie they were facing in the second period of the Toronto game is inexcusable. The coaches should have given all the forwards a scouting report on the new goalie’s weaknesses. How that did not happen is just stunning.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Chris says:

The point is that Emelin is 25 years old, not a youngster just breaking into professional hockey. He has been playing professional hockey since the age of 18. He has been a defenceman on two World Championship teams for Russia, one of the world’s hockey powers. He has always been a defenceman.

When Bowman moved Fedorov, Fedorov was incredibly unhappy about it. But at least there was a precedent: Fedorov was one of the world’s best defensive forwards, and the center in the Russian hockey system often plays deep in front of the net in the defensive zone, so the transition for him would be somewhat minor.

For Emelin, this is a completely different experience. It is not a position from which he can succeed nor continue to develop to become the defenceman the Habs need him to be.

If Emelin does not develop into a defensive player the Habs can rely on every game, they are going to be in a world of trouble to make the playoffs.

Good post Tommy B, I fear frustration is grabbing at many of us, I know it has me. That is good advice to get away for awhile. Cheers!

32. Mark C says:

Hilarious and typical overreaction by many on Emelin practicing on the wing. Until JM plays him at wing in a game this is nothing more than filling out practice lines (there are 7 D and 11 healthy F, hmmm). There are many logical reasons why a forward has not been called up, such as travel logistics, saving a day’s cap hit, and wanting to make the call-up decision based on Max’s prognosis to name a few obvious ones.

33. B37zc says:

direct translation of WTF in Russian would be:
    какого хуя, блядь?!

more soft version:
    какого хрена?!

pronounce it:
    1) kakova huya, blyad?!
    2) kakova hrena?!

Enjoy :)

34. Thomas Le Fan says:

This is a team that wants a new coach. Young Markstrom played very well but this bunch are not contesting the play with any sense of desperation, at all. Can’t fire the team. Alas.

35. Chuck says:

For all we know, Emelin suggested this as a possibility to get more ice time, and the coach is seeing what he can do in practice. He did have a couple of really nice rushes in his last game, he’s good with his stick, and doesn’t mind the contact.

Might be just what the doctor ordered.

36. TommyB says:

I’ve got to get outta here. My dog is looking at me with those “WTF are you wasting so much time in that chair for, when we could be out hiking on such a lovely day?” And, she’s absolutely right.

The last while I have become exactly the type of poster on here that I detest. I recognize that fact, yet I seem to be unable to control myself. I have become very frustrated with the start to this season and I can’t for the life of me see anything brighter in the very near future. I have my sights set squarely on JM as a major contributor to the troubles and I have serious doubts that that will change no matter what happens over the next 20 games. So, I guess I will continue to point fingers at him. Sometimes trying to be humorous, sometimes not. But hey, I’m no pro. Just a beer league guy.

C’mon Shiloh, let’s go take that long walk.

37. savethepuck says:

I know there is a lot of complaining about Emelin practicing on the 4th line, but has anyone on here followed his career enough to state with a certainty that he’s never played there before?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• 123456 says:

yo puck – don’t be making all that cents now. mot of us just git on here and complain cause dats just who we is.

so when i first saw the lines i thought that maybe there were not enough bodies and emelin was just taking up space while others rested – but i’m not actually at practice so i don’t know.

• savethepuck says:

I don’t know why he is there either, that ‘s why I choose not to be one of the ones that thinks that everything this team does is because we have an owner that doesn’t give a shit about this team and is only interested in the revenue, an incompetent GM who has no clue how to ice a Stanley Cup contender in today’s NHL, and a clueless coach that knows nothing about hockey compared to the masses on here. I would rather think these guys do give a shit about one of the proudest franchises in pro sports.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Chris says:

To the best of my knowlege, Emelin has never been used as a forward in his professional career. So perhaps he was a forward in junior (the Russians like to convert centers into defencemen), but it’s been a long, long while since he has seen time as a forward, if ever.

• savethepuck says:

I would assume he has maybe never played there before, but I’m obviously not sure. I just think there is way too much over reacting on here for such minor things as where someone was in practice. I know it’s mostly the result of the fans’ frustration from a losing streak.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

38. Bripro says:

In case it hasn’t been posted, LeBrun and Burnside on the Habs dilemna.

39. adamkennelly says:

Emelin – at F – seriously? this guy is gonna bail back to the KHL if this keeps up…this is JMs fault and PG’s fault – bad off-season moves = no depth = D’s having to play F – not addressing size and toughness so only physical D man we have now has to skate F..crap ass team that is fed up with their boring coach…I don’t care if Roy has no experience – I say let him come in and coach….it’ll be the end of a team playing like panzies with no passion.

40. ed lopaz says:

if Emelin is to be used as a forward, can we use Count Chocula as a peanut vendor, or in ticket sales??

seriously.

this not an NHL move – on any level.

Emelin needs the time on D to learn the game in the NHL;

Emelin is adjusting to a new team, new city, new everything, he is the last guy to be experimenting with and throwing out of his comfort zone.

Its very rare that a d-man feels comfortable giving up his d-man spot and thrown into a forward spot, but especially not a guy who is being challenged at all levels of his confidence right about now.

I would like to ask Mr. Chocula if he would like to work the phones today, “cold call” selling Habs tickets.

Imagine Mr. Chocula’s reaction…

“well…fruck me…that’s not how I got this position, is it?”

exactly.

41. DEANDALLEY says:

Bums don’t make 7 mil per

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

42. 123456 says:

Can ony one that has typed the folloeing words, in this order do me a huge favor:

“I told you”

I’d like some lotto numbers for a drawing this week – Or if that is too much to ask just give me the score of each of the NHL games tonight. You know, just to verify how smart you really are!!!

43. habsnyc says:

Bowman started Chatraw and Bouchard at forward in game three of the Stanley Cup finals back in 1976. I think they started the game, ahead of the Shutt, Lafleur, Mahovlich line. They also scored the wining goal in the third period.

I know it is not the same. But there is nothing crazy about using physical defensemen as forward. Relative to the showplace of mediocre ideas that is this franchise, this is not terrible.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• shiram says:

My issue with using a physical Dman as a forward is that our D is soft.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It´s basically not the worst idea but Diaz, Weber and Spacek against the Flyers and possibly the Bruins too? It doesn´t get softer than that.

• habsnyc says:

PK is not soft. But yes, the mediocre idea is to build a team deficient of NHL level players. There are holes in this lineup that a good team will find and exploit. But, lacking enough skaters, the coach is forced to improvise.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

44. Propwash says:

Что ебет?

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

45. AK_PK_Usay says:

About Darche,

I love the guy, on the 4th line, that’s about it. The only PP to score DID NOT have him on the ice…

You know if everyone had as much job security as JM, especially since he is a condescending old fart (heard about Jessica Rusnak?) everyone would be just as inefficient at their jobs. And if you look at most companies middle to upper management you will see the old boys club running companies to the ground over and over again.

Being 45 does not make you old, you become old when you think you know enough to STOP learning and ADAPTING.

PS feel free to counter my last sentence, (its rhetorical, there is no counter, its a paraphrase of what most of the great leaders said was the secret to not becoming obsolete)

46. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Couldn’t we go back to the good ole days of having Moen on two lines?

47. RetroMikey says:

To be honest, I believe we should ship a bunch of no name, no skill but grit team in my hometown called the Hamilton Bulldogs to play and send the rest of these overrated, smurfs, over the hill, and over paid players called the Montreal Canadiens to play in the minors.

Perhaps, the Dawgs would play better hockey than this fragile team we have.

Martin is not the problem, it’s the players we have that aren’t big enough to play in the NHL.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• TommyB says:

Who didn’t see this comment coming, and from your direction? Do you really think there are players in Hamilton who can play better than what we have on the big club’s roster? Are we to believe that the Habs are suppressing all this talent in the AHL in favour of employing overpaid NHL players?

• RetroMikey says:

Not saying they are better, but at least they will give 100% than yes, our overpaid NHL players and could win some games.
        Only occupation that should be overpaid are doctors, period.
        Not a bunch of whining players who have it made.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Jordio-oh says:

Its a very simple case of market demand. If one works in a profession that people will go and pay to see work, then said professionals will reap the rewards. Complaining how much they make is so pointless considering you should know why they get paid so much.

Oh and the argument about bringing up all the Bulldogs because they will give 100% is so unbelievably flawed.

My cousins pee-wee hockey team works incredibly hard in games and practice. Might as well bring them up while we’re at it!

Please!

• showey47 says:

It’s also flawed because we would be about 40 million or so below the cap floor and have to forfeit the game.

48. shiram says:

Well the PP lines are not looking too bad at least.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

49. AK_PK_Usay says:

This is how Darche AK Eller will look like,

We enter Ozone, darche goes in front of net and WAITS

AK and Eller get outnumbered in the corners and lose puck.

This is how AK Eller Moen looks like, Moen and AK fight for puck in the corners, Eller gets free and is ready to turn back to help D, line cycles puck IS DANGEROUS and IS FUN TO WATCH.

Sorry Darche, you are a good person, BUT you are not top 9.

50. savethepuck says:

“What’s WTF in Russian?”
    Thanks Boone I needed a laugh. Getting frustrated with the results on the score board. It seems this team can’t put the total package together on any given night. Last night was another game they played well defensively and kept their goals against down and had numerous offensive chances but ran into another hot goaltender like the game against Buffalo. They scored 5 against Colorado, but Carey admittingly didn’t play well. They scored 4 against Toronto but a made some costly defensive errors along with a ridiculous non call when the puck hung up in the netting ( how can 4 guys not see that?) to lose in OT. The only really bad games they played were against Pittsburgh, and maybe Calgary. This team needs some things to go their way for a change, their record does not relect that they’ve ouplayed their opposition on many nights. A team is not going to win every game when they are the best team on the ice, but it’d be nice if they could win the majority of them, or at least some of them.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

51. AK_PK_Usay says:

PS if you’re gonna put Emelin as forward, put him instead of Darche, I GUARANTEE YOU HIS OFFENSIVE INSTINCTS ARE MUCH HIGHER, we all saw him go in the Ozone and every time it was without risking the D. So he is calculated and BIG. Plus his puck skills put Darche to shame.

• 24 Cups says:

AKPKU – If you’re placing this losing streak on Darche’s plate then we’re in a lot more trouble than I ever imagined.

You used the word BIG. That’s describes Darche’s effort level every night. Not to mention his heart and dedication to the team. He makes 1/10th of Gomez’s salary. 1/8th of Cammy’s, 1/7th of Gionta’s and 1/6th of Cole’s. That’s the real shame.

Darche and Moen keep getting put on the top three lines because we don’t have anyone who can fill the gap. And now MaxPac is out.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

NONONO, Darche NEVER did anything wrong, I mean that full hardheartedly!

I just dont want him on the line with Eller and AK as he simply lacks the offensive instincts to play in a purefly offensive line. Moen has more offensive flair than Darche and is MUCH more physical.

Emelin DOES have the offensive flair BUT will be way out of position, yet he won’t mind going into the corners and because of his size will have a higher chance of coming out with the puck, not to mention his passing and stick handling are years ahead of Darche…

52. AK_PK_Usay says:

I see so many comments, yet no one really looking at the “why” of our loses.

HOW MUCH PP TIME DID ELLER GET? Him AK and Moen have been our best offensive line in the last two games and got jack shit PP time.

Cole looked fine on PP, why was darche back afterwards.

JM is giving everyone the finger like ALL CEO’s that need to get fired. “its HIS team” no its not “he is the CAPTAIN/Leader/etc” NO HE IS NOT, he’s a mediator that’s supposed to help the players be at the best THEY can be.

This is 2011, coaches are NOTHING MORE than life coaches WITH HOCKEY knowledge (which i doubt JM has much of)

I said it MANY times that JM is riding the glory of Halak and Price and that if it wasn’t for them his lack of skill would show.

Price has been good, he often made great saves, yes, he let in some softies too, BUT Price should NOT need to be on his head for the team to get a win.

And now Emelin, a Dman that just got better EVERY single game is at forward? While Webber and Diaz *not to mention Spacho hasnt exactly been great* are at D? WTF

If we lose Emelin because of the idiocy of JM and to an extent PG for sticking with his buddy in the boys club, I will grow some sense and stop caring about the habs, because at the end of the day they are just a business, who the fuck cares so much about Sony Pictures entertainment?

The habs of old have become an old boys club, everyone agrees we have talent, and young talent at that, and it’s being wasted by incompetent old farts.

• Habitoban says:

Why Darche on the PP? Because a lot of shots to the net can be redirected by his big heart.

• G-Man says:

“This is 2011, coaches are NOTHING MORE than life coaches WITH HOCKEY knowledge ”

Funniest post of the day. See, Dr. Phil? It’s all your fault.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Dr Phil is NOT a MD… While I think his advice will work on people who are NOT sick, depression is deeper than what words can treat, at some point your brain happy receptors shut down and only medication can fix it.

Anyhow… lol

53. coldness81 says:

hoping max is going to be okay. that would be a serious blow to the team if he can’t play; although from the looks of it we might have a new forward in emelin…

54. pmaraw says:

has angry sal made any appearances on call in radio shows today?

• Le Jadester says:

Was hoping for him !
      Unfortunately Marinaro said the coach’s job should be OK for the next little while. Personally, I can’t wait that long.
      Therefore, I decided to fire Marinaro and turn the radio off.
      It’s the only thing that I can personally control.

We are the 99 % that want JM out !
      Occupy the Bell Center !

Habs, OLE !

55. G-Man says:

I read the comments and see the inmates are running the asylum. Boone and Co. must be glad because as soon as there’s any whiff of adversity, all the nutbars come out. Then, the management, coaches and players are all nuked by proxy. Relax, it isn’t even November. Then again, that’s just next week, right?

Gman you have been a good and loyal soldier for this team, but things are starting to get downright bizarre. This has nothing to do with absolutely everyone of my watering holes being places where I am welcomed by the Leaf Fans with Sarcastic Jeering that even I can no longer deflect.

• G-Man says:

This is nothing but a test to see how fanatical we really are. I am obviously the one who is off the deep end because I believe it’s underperforming players like Price and PK who should up their game. The same is true for Gionta. These guys MUST do more, but especially the captain. The D vets, like Gill, spacek and Gorges must be better.
        Throwing the coach and GM under the bus after every loss on this site used to be mildly amusing. These days it borders on the manic. I find the ones patting themselves on the back in self-congratulation for “seeing the truth” the most cynical fans of them all. They always know better than the pros who live, eat, shit and breathe the sport. That’s why they aren’t involved in it beyond beer league.

• savethepuck says:

I totally agree that our best players are not playing like our best players.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• habsnyc says:

Gionta is three months shy of 33 years old. The fact he managed two of his three best goal scoring seasons after age 30 is stunning. That a guy who averaged 22 goals from age 28-30 would average 29 goals from 31-32 is a massive statistical abberation. He has performed so far beyond what he should, that even if he only scores 20 this season, he is still delivering beyond his production curve. Gil and Spacek are even further into their declines. I cannot expect more from them.

I do not profess to know more than Martin or Gauthier. When I see them acting irrationally I realize that their goals and expectations are different from mine and I become disillusioned. PG is architecting a mediocre team that can make the playoffs. JM is coaching not to lose. Those are not my goals. I do not care if the team makes or loses money. I do not care about first round losses. I care about being on a path to a window of meaningful outpeformance that could lead to a championship.

I cannot expect a Cup. Statistically, I can expect a window of 2-3 years every decade where the team’s chances of winning the Cup are in the top 20% of the league. Management is deliverying on less than my statistical expectation. I conclude not that I know better than them but that they are not trying to win.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• sevenman says:

Good point…..Habs only 4pts out of the playoffs and it’s still only October……I know, I know.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

56. Lafrich says:

What’s WTF in Russian…HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Awesome!

57. higginrs says:

Alex Auld is gonna make a comeback for the Habs next week! He’s gonna play center on the third line. ;)

58. showey47 says:

That 4th line better be just a practice line for today.

? WTF , Okay clearly JM is just daring PG to fire him and cut him his cheque.

Yah Emelin has got to be saying why did I come to Montreal?

• kempie says:

It does seem like he is trying to get canned doesn’t it?

• 24 Cups says:

LOL, Gerald.

I don’t think it’s as bad as it looks. There is nobody left in Hamilton to call up to replace MaxPac (so why waste the cap space). All our good kids are for further down the road. Using Emelin on the wing for practice is probably just an experiment. Going up against Philly and Boston means we are going to need all the beef we can get. I’m sure that lots of players (including Emelin and Weber) will be rotating thorugh a variety of roles and linemates. That’s what injuries force teams to do.

BUt come on Weber has played some forward. Do you think Emelin is in the least bit enamoured with being used as a rat for medical experiments? No this is more than just coincedental, he is sending some ridiculous kind of message.

Can Mathieu Darche skate backwards? I can see him quarterbacking the PP next.

• shiram says:

Weber played nearly 25 minutes last night, and his stats, 1g 2a and a +4 means JM is using him as the #1D, so he is not going on a forward line now.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

Oh I hear you, just thought JM may have noticed Boston and Philly have a slightly different forecheck than Florida.

• shiram says:

Hey I’m not saying what he does makes sense, just trying to illustrate what I think his thought patterns might be.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• TommyB says:

You must have had an early tee off on this gorgeous fall day. I was wondering when you were going to weigh in.

• 24 Cups says:

We’re down to our final few strokes, Tommy. I’m talking golf, not Martin’s reign as head coach of the Habs.

Some of Martin’s moves remind me a bit of Carbo when his back was against the wall and a noose was around his neck.

There’s no denying that it’s a mess (which started when Markov couldn’t) but there’s more involved here than just Martin’s coaching. Truth be told, I didn’t think that last night’s game was that bad. Markstrom (he stoned Team Canada’s junior team a few years ago) was the difference.

As for HI/O, the site has turned totally sour. All sense of reason has flown out the door. To quote the headmaster, “WTF?”.

60. habsrpast says:

I just heard what Molson thinks of his team.
    he says” he thinks the habs are good enough to win the cup”.

now I know this team will be horrible for years and years and years!
    not only don’t we have a competent GM or coach,
    WE DON’T EVEN HAVE A COMPETENT OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALL MOLSONS CARE ABOUT IS MAKING $$$$$$$$$$$$$

NOBODY GO TO GAMES !
    show Mr. moneybags what we think about his team!

61. Curtis O Habs says:

That`s the best fourth line we have iced this season.

62. avatar_58 says:

Lebrun – “But the fact is, the Canadiens were an above-average team last season — nothing more, nothing less — and made the playoffs because Price had one of the top five seasons of any goalie in the world. Anything less than that this season and the Habs are out. Until tomorrow, pal.”

A-men. Maybe folks will appreciate Price more now. How about getting him a team in front now?

63. Old Bald Bird says:

Here we go …. (Twitter)

Arpon Basu
    Emelin skating as a forward at #Habs skate. I’m sure he’s thrilled.

64. CERF says:

this is where i draw the line with JM

Nokelainen-Blunden-EMELIN!

seriously now..

• Auscan says:

What choice has Jacques Martin got with only 20 players at training, that including the 2 goalies…if Gauthier has not recalled anyone yet is probably because he has a trade on the works or maybe they will recall someone from Hamilton. But what the hell, why not keep on losing and get the 1st pick in next year draft. It sure would make a big difference to have a superstar in the line-up in the years to come. Look at Pittsburgh and Washington, that how they got their superstars!

65. pmaraw says:

is this the trash gomez thread or the trash martin thread or the trash gauthier thread?

66. Bripro says:

Gomez…Gomez…
    People, get over it. He’s not going anywhere.
    His salary to performance ratio is such that no other team will take him, at least not until the trade deadline, and even then.
    We’re stuck with him, so let’s hope he turns it around, like the rest of the team.
    They’ve played hard, but let’s face it, they’re unlucky too.
    Two re-directed 5-hole goals against last night.
    A non-call vs. the Leafs when the puck hit the meshing which resulted in the tying goal, for which Darche and Cammy argued, but the egotistical ref wouldn’t even go upstairs.
    Price is getting run over and no one seems to care.
    A lucky bounce here and there, a few 2″ east or west, and they’re in the net instead of off the post.
    I still think they’ll do alright, but no question, they’d do better with a pro-active coach.
    Let’s stay positive. It’s still very early in the season!

67. elston49 says:

I have tried to resist this moment. As I follow my beloved Habs, I am quietly coming to terms that it’s over. We are a team designed to out skate and out chance our oppents, yet we are forced to play a controlled, positional game. We have the wrong personel to implement the current system and every team in the nhl knows it! I knew this would happen when Muller left. He was able to sell the system on the players terms. They may have resisted but he was given respect…they played for him, not JM. I cannot be the only one that sees this unfolding. This team, God I cannot believe I’m saying this, will not play the system. They want him JM gone. I see on the face of JM. When they succeed, and they will by the end of this week, there will be a new face with a system that reflects the personal on the ice. Due to injuries, a system that flexes. The Habs are too small to play a physical game. We are too thin on the back end to do anything to help Carey Price. Hopefully the new coach allows the players to play the game with some passion and commitment to the team. Maybe Ted Nolan is just the man… let’s get some passion back into this organization. He has an incredible record for winning and is beloved by his players for his ability to put them into positions to succeed.
    It’s over.

Ted Nolan is a very good coach and gets lots out of his players. I am fully supportive of him as a candidate. However, there is a long list of reasons they will not consider him:
      John Muckler blackballed him
      He is not a francophone
      He is currently coaching Latvia’s hockey team.

Ironically enough he was V.P. of the ROchester Americans until Pegula bought the Sabres and integrated the Americans into the Sabre Head Office.

Anyhow, while I like the guy it will just never happen.

• HabFanSince72 says:

He hasn’t coached in the NHL in a million years.

Someone once thought Barry Melrose was a better coaching choice.

HF72, I know you think the suggestion of his name is offensive, but if you look at the rosters of the Buffalo Sabres and NYIslanders that he took to the playoffs you will see a team with half the talent of our current squad.

He has been in the AHL as recently as last year? My goodness isn’t Muller in the AHL right now?

Perhaps his lack of Quebecois scares you a little.

The comparison of Barry Melsrose to Ted Nolan is a ridiculous assertion on your part.

68. stevieboy says:

This city has had it with him. Say shalom like a gentleman.

Stevie

69. The Dude says:

Blow up this mess now! And anyone who thought this was a Canadiens team ,DON’T KNOW THE HABS OR HOCKEY!You really have nothing to say…………

• Bripro says:

Is that your way of saying:
      “my opinion is the only one that matters!”?

• The Dude says:

No …that’s my way of saying “if you think you know the NHL.game of hockey and have been suckered into this counterfeit Habs team and it’s fake hype”because your a proper fan” ,then maybe you should OPEN YOUR EYE’S A wee bit wider ,Qtip those ears and really,really think before you rah rah rah.A proper fan is one that knows this is an embarrassment of a Habs team” 2 french players,Small overpaid vets,small D and the list goes on and on and on…” Wake -up Hab fans !!!!!!!

• DD says:

“I’m saying, I see what you’re getting at, Dude, he kept the money. My point is, here …. Come on, you’re being very un-Dude.”

70. HabFanSince72 says:

There is only one solution.

Hire next year’s head coach now. Could be Muller. Could be Roy. Could be some young gun I’ve never heard of. Make that person assistant coach for now.

Jacques Lemaire as head coach for the rest of the year, with Robinson as assistant, to teach the next guy the ropes.

71. lukas-joshua says:

I hate to say this but. We could of used guys like Madden and McCabe, that are still out thers.

72. Habfan10912 says:

Perfect fit for the bulldogs.

73. shiram says:

Gomez could learn a thing or two from a kid that has played about 800 games less…

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

74. lukas-joshua says:

his shot is over Gomez is a bum

75. Tony McLean says:

No WAY he should have been back even for the preseason. Clean house at the top.
    —————————————————–
    Bring Larry Robinson home.

76. DEANDALLEY says:

Bums don’t make 7 Mil per …

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

77. Psycho29 says:

Hey!!! I thought “Give your head a shake”, “Drink the Kool-Aid” and “You obviously have never played the game” were banned on this site?????

:-)

78. Habitoban says:

Sorry. Afternoon sugar levels to blame. Won’t happen again.

79. Derek2 says:

Agree with the binary decision. No point in finishing last unless we get rid of the front office. They would likely pick a 5ft 11 180 lb DMan.

Gomer played very badly last year and may be done like dinner, but everyone’s offensive numbers suffered last year. Tells me that this is also a systemic issue.

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

80. New says:

They are pretty bad. One win in seven games is not only alarming but pathetic. They have been a perimeter team and made opposition goalies look good for quite a time. I think they believe the myth about fast. I don’t see them as faster than other teams, or quicker, or fast out of their zone.

They obviously do and have a team built on killer speed. The results are what they are. This year they will blame the goalies, the D, the injuries. Huet once said the Habs problem was between the ears. I suspect it is a lower. The softened the boards, the glass, the entire arena to match the players.

They miss Muller and need a coach. Watch as Gauthier gives away more of the future for cast offs now. Geez, depressing season or what.

81. montrealtilldeath says:

I cannot stomach comments like this. Shots on goal are not the statistic to be looking at. Scoring chances are a true measure. Montral gets a lot of “volume” in terms of shots but very few scoring chances. In the Buffalo game they had a lot of perimeter type shots and Miller made a lot saves that he should make as an NHL goalie. Price did not have a lot of shots but on the first Buffalo goal the puck ends up on a Buffalo stick right in front of the net with the player totally uncovered. The best scoring chance for both teams in the whole periog. The secong goal Vanek a pure shooter totally uncovered with all the time in the world to pick a spot and ring it off high inside the post. Most of the games are like that. I should also point out that in the same game Miller is face down on the ice totally out of the play and Plekanec “he who has disappeared lately” who has more time than Vanek to shot rushes his shot and slides it into Miller’s body. A great save! A dead man lying in the crease would have made the same save. As for Price they are rushing into the crease, knocking off his mask, incredible screens. We need some muscle, some big arms and fists to get some respect. The word is out. You can crash into Price and nothing will happen to you. Get Laraque back , get something. before PK and Price are crippled.

82. TINMAN17 says:

I don’t take it seriously, I just hate having to hear it constantly.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

83. TINMAN17 says:

You are correct, sir, on all counts!

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

Believe it or not despite my despisement of the Bruins, many of the Bruins fans I know here in Ontario are pretty bright hockey people. Most of the fans I know became Bruins fans because of Bobby Orr. Granted they all love the physical side of the game, it seems to bred in them, but I am sure there are some decent Bruin fans in Boston.

And while I i hate the Bruins, I have to respect the work Chiarelli has done. From getting CHara as a UFA, trading for Horton last year, trading Kessel for 2 1st rounders plus to name a few.

Too bad he doesn’t speak french.

BUt the more I write this I am reminded of the many slug Bruin fans, so perhaps I have just wasted 5 mins.

85. TINMAN17 says:

Nahlsy, you think they’d take Markov (Sens are rebuilding so time is not crucial), Diaz, Gomez and which ever prospect they want for Neil and Spezza? Hell, give them some cash too or Gill.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

86. TINMAN17 says:

No, dude, they all suck. Either bandwagon know-nothings or retarded neanderthals who don’t know hockey history pre-Orr. Wait! Wait! that’s unfair to mentally challenged people and neanderthals. But, you get the point.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

LOL, i was thinking of 2 specific buddies of mine that are huge Bruins fans and I always enjoy watching and talking hockey with them. Then as I was typing a bunch of other moronic Bruins fans I know camed to mind. All the best tinman, you have a tough year ahead of you there in enemy territory.

You shouldn’t read. He is right.