Duffy, Leblanc shine as curtain falls on Habs development camp

duffy

Ben Duffy opened more than a few eyes at the Canadiens camp this past week.
Courtesy Charlottetown Guardian

The Canadiens’ five-day development camp ended Sunday with an intrasquad game, and P.E.I. Rocket forward Ben Duffy made the trip to Brossard an interesting one, to say the least.

Duffy, the Rocket’s all-time leading scorer, said he hopes that his performance over the past week earns him another chance to prove himself at the Canadiens rookie camp in September, but he has a backup plan. If he doesn’t land a pro contract, he’ll take advantage of the QMJHL scholarship plan and play for the University of New Brunswick, a perennial power in Canadian university hockey.

Louis Leblanc, meanwhile, was looking much more forward than behind.

More on the camp by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey is here. A little more on Duffy from May, from the Charlottetown Guardian, is here.

And here’s a fine gallery of camp photos taken by Gazette shooter John Kenney.

1. hansolo says:

I don’t post much, mainly because I don’t really have much else to add after all the cognoscenti have spoken. But for all the people who are ragging on MB because he didn’t lock up PK for “reasonable money and term” before this past season, do you think he really could have? He couldn’t for a variety of reasons:

a) As you all can see, although we’re not tight against the cap, we’re close enough that it restricts — somewhat — what we can do in the crazy free agency season. MB would have been even less free to dip his toe in the free agent pool if he had given PK more dough last before the season.

b) PK is going to make his bucks one way or the other. He’s that good. Do you think that even if he had been “locked up” for reasonable money and term before now, that his contract wouldn’t have been extended before the current one had expired? Especially now that he’s won the Norris? Absolutely it would have — to have not done so would have been a greater insult to PK than the “bridge” contract. Norris winners have a certain payscale, which any GM can’t reasonably ignore.

Even if PK was a really nice guy and chose to forgo a contract extension, his team-mates wouldn’t have. PK sets the bar now, not Price, not until the latter wins a Vezina or a Cup. The other team members would have resented PK taking a substantially lower salary than perceived market value, because that would have made THEIR salaries correspondingly less as well.

Anyone who doesn’t believe this needs to re-read the piece by Friedman on why Alfie left the Sens. He toook below market value pay for a long time. While he didn’t care, his team-mates did. Eventually, the team management took Alfie for granted and tried to low-ball him one last time. So what did he do? He bolted.

So Bergevin would have had to pay PK one way or the other. Better this way. I hope PK is a member of the Habs for a looong time — like Lidstrom was with the Wings. He’s the lynchpin, the cornerstone, whatever you want to call him. I wish we had drafted Jordan — but the size fetishists won that one, even though Torey Krug can play on the Bruins.

@Habs1992 — yes, you should have asked Julien why he didn’t give me better terms on my debt. Leia wouldn’t have ended up strangling him. His henchmen wouldn’t be still being digested over the next 1000 years, either.

• Marc10 says:

Well done you pirate. Nice post.

• hansolo says:

Thank you — to someone whose posts I enjoy reading as well.

• habstrinifan says:

No it’s not. It’s highly inaccurate and uses Alfredson’s situation incorrectly. I could go point by point but I wont.

I will simply highlight the part about an extension.

“Do you think that even if he had been “locked up” for reasonable money and term before now, that his contract wouldn’t have been extended before the current one had expired? Especially now that he’s won the Norris? Absolutely it would have — to have not done so would have been a greater insult to PK than the “bridge” contract. Norris winners have a certain payscale, which any GM can’t reasonably ignore. ”

Ok so step up to the plate. This coming season is P.K’s last under his contract. I am asking the poster and you to state a date by which you think MB should and will be approaching P.K with an extension.

Remember there are already posters here who state that MB should wait ‘to see if P.K is for real’ .

• hansolo says:

Trini, I’ll defer to your knowledge of Alfie’s situation. I only know what I read — and Friedman has more credibility than most other hockey writers.

As to PK, if I were MB, I would start talking to PK’s agent at the start of the coming season to be sure of “locking him up” before the expiration of the current contract. With all that’s going on right now (free agency, the draft prospects, need to shore the D) I’m not sure if I were MB that I could do the matter justice now. But I would hope to by the start of the season.

• habstrinifan says:

Again you are being deviously sarcastic. That’s ok. I wont retract or apologise. Friedmans description of Alfie’s contract situation in no way mirrors P.k. Absolutely different dynamics.

And thanks for puting forth a date. Now we can keep an eye on the situation.

• habs1992 says:

Claude Julien put you in debt seriously?

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• hansolo says:

Just quoting krob when he replied to your post about meeting Clod:

“krob1000
        July 8, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Just ask him why he couldn’t have given Han Solo more time on that debt? Could have saved a lot of grief…..”

• The_Truth says:

Your points do not negate the fact that Bergevin could have locked up PK for 5 years at 5.0-5.5 million last season. That is a certainty and what PK asked for. Did bergevin make a mistake in not doing so? That is debateable.

Your point A isn’t a factor. Pk would have been paid less than 2 million more this season, hardly an impediment to doing other things. Even if it were, a tradeoff in cap space the remaining 4 years would have been worth it.

Point B is irrelevant. PK would want more money after his current deal is done. Yes, so? It still saves the team in cap space for 4-5 years.

The team resenting him for taking what his market value was at the time is silly.

I believe Bergevin dropped the ball on that one and it is what it is. He felt uncertain of PKs attitude and didn’t want to commit until he saw more. Well, now he saw it and will have to give him at least 2 million more per year than he could have.

• hansolo says:

I can see the merit in what you say. As to PK’s team-mates, I said they would have resented his NOT taking market value as doing so would have reduced their salaries.

• The_Truth says:

I think 5.0-5.5 was market value for PK last season. He wasn’t exactly a defensive force (still isn’t yet). I actually was hesitant to lock him up to that, as Bergevin was. Now his market value should be around 7.5 I would say.

The important thing now, is for MB to lock him up as soon as possible and not wait for the season to get past the first month.

• johnnylarue says:

Nicely said. Criticizing Bergevin in hindsight for the PK bridge contract reeks of ignorant, bush-league armchair GM’ing in the worst way. Drives me nuts.

• The_Truth says:

It’s not ignorant at all. Many posters were saying this at the time of PKs hold out. It’s smart, just ike PG was (did I just say that?) to do so with Max before his contract, at the time, was up. Same for Sather in NY with McDonagh. He will certainly be worth 6 million in a few years.

I suggest MB lock up Chucky and Gally after next season, before they really play up to their sure fire potential.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually, if you’re talking about Max most recent, long-term contract extension, that was done by Marc Bergevin, not Pierre Gauthier. It was signed because Max had worked through his his entry-level deal, and his ‘bridge’ contract, showing exemplary work ethic, dedication and results on the ice, as well as strong character off the ice. P.K. will now have his turn, as Max and Carey did.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

He would have signed for reasonable term and money similar to what the Rangers signed McDonagh for, I’d bet my life on it. Now he’ll get 2-3 million more than what he asked for in the first place. I understand MB wanted to sign him to a bridge contract because there was some doubt in his mind about PK but anyone who didn’t see that he was a star in the making was blind, stupid or in denial.

It was a colossal F up as was the DD contract.

• hansolo says:

You may be right. I think you’ll agree, though, that PK is much better than McDonagh and would have justifiably deserved more eventually. In my view, for MB not to address that would be a huge mistake — as the case of Alfie and the Sens might indicate.

• chesterfiled says:

Boo! Alfie the swede hab killer is 20 years in. Subban the Torontonian is just getting started. 7 million, 8 million Subban will agree to the contract he deserves as a Hab no less!

2. Jimmy9Toes says:

I don’t think the Habs should draft or invite to one of the camps that is under 6’1″for the next 3 or 4 years unless they put up at least 100 points in junior.

3. chesterfiled says:

Yikes GTA. I will always remember the feeling of being knee deep in pooh water in Lachine after flash flood in ’87. Soggy

4. Hobie Hansen says:

Concerning Pacioretty, the dude gets a pass. And on top of it all, he led the Habs in points and was second in goals.

Regular season does mean squat but he was nursing an injury in the playoffs, if I’m not mistaken, when he put up a goose egg?

He’ll be back and ready to go next year with a clean slate IMO.

Love the guy!

• habs1992 says:

I expect more out of him, but I can’t complain because he has a great cap hit.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• The_Truth says:

Max-Pac is the best offensive player on this team, period. Chucky will pass him in a couple of years, but he is very valuable. It is too bad he is not more physical, but he is a legitimate top line winger in this league and will only get better. The Habs have no other apparent prospects, in the system, with 1st line potential, with the exception of Collberg.

5. punkster says:

Boy, yuz guyz just wait ’til I get my NHL14…then I’ll show you what trades we should make…just yuz wait and see.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

6. Max says:

Every year around this time there’re Jagr to Montreal rumours.He wants to play there,they want him supposedly.The drama commences,it drags on for a week or so and BOOM…he signs in Nashville somewhere for double the price.

Guy’s simply chasing the green.

7. alfieturcotte says:

Kudos to Sather for having good vision and locking up McDonagh to a 6 year contract at a reasonable price. This is precisely what I advocated MB do last year with Subban. Similarly, congrats on signing Pouliot and Moore for half the price it cost MB to sign Briere.

Has anyone signed Latendresse yet? If not, he may be worth a gamble.

8. Bill says:

No one on this site has had any reason to criticize Pacioretty. He plays through pain and has led the Habs in scoring for the past two seasons. What do you want, jam on it? He’s not a physical, crease jamming guy, he’s a sniper and very effective. We are lucky he’s on our team.

• Mattyleg says:

If he played for another team, we’d have posters trying to trade Subban for him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Andy says:

I agree with you about Max, he uses his big body to shield the puck from defenders and drives to the net or shoots. So what if he does not go out and hit everything that moves, he plays his style.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Seriously, Max Pacioretty is one of the most gentle players in the lineup. He does not engage in a fighting exchange (even if he does, he’s always at a losing end. The guy can’t fight!) and he’s built to play hockey. I have no problems with him. What I have problems with the team is that guys like him and Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, and the rest are vulnerable to goons like Lucic, Chara, or the rest of the Bruins team.

We need tough guys like Parros to protect Pacioretty. I know he’s old but he’s willing to scrap with any opponent.

• Marc10 says:

Max could drive the net more and could certainly add a bit more forecheck to his game. He has the foot speed and the size to push back the D and should use it. That frees up his centre to cut back in and look for options.

Injuries, the shortened season, off form DD and Cole certainly contributed to a weird season where he was either on or off. I trust his off season work ethic and the emergence of Eller and Chucky will help him out. I also expect DD to bounce back. He’ll be fine. He’s a building block.

We’ll never get sandpaper from the guy. He doesn’t know how to fight like many guys on the team. But he more than makes up for it when he plays his game. That’s what he should focus on. If MB can eventually replace his opposite wing or centre with a guy who can bring the intimidation and the fists, Max could turn into a John Leclair type (a guy who only came into his own when he was paired with a beast who could play…) Easier said than done, but that has to be on the agenda for MB, by trade or by draft…

9. Arnou Ruelle says:

Simple Question.

I’m interested to know, Is ‘anyone’ here in favor of Jaromir Jagr playing for the Habs next Season?

• Andy says:

I put my vote in the no column, like I have said before he is not fast enough for our style of play and would rather see one of our younger players get the playing time.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

You know what erks me right now, is that every major news outlet does want Jagr to come here. All this Yaddah about him ‘probably’ signing in MTL is making it more encouraging upper management. As if MB so desperate to sign him.

• Andy says:

It always snow balls in the media, as soon as one person, site, network or paper mentions a possible signing or that some player has interest, the stories seem to create a life of their own.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I am in favour of signing him because I think we could trade him at the deadline for a couple decent assets. If not then he will be a good top 9 player. All this relies on trading somebody out of our top 9

• boing007 says:

Jagr would be a valuable mentor for every player on the Habs. That’s worth more than foot speed. Pick his brains. Maybe sign him on as an assistant after he retires.

Richard R

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I’m already there about Jagr being an elder in a young, developing team.

I think we should ask is for how much is the organization willing to pay this guy? How long as well?

Premium players like him, Vinny, Alfredsson, Selanie, Iggy, are payed high $$$. Plus, you factor the injury issue, then the age, and a team could get problems down the stretch of a season.

• chesterfiled says:

I was going to write some bs about what I think of Jagr through the 90’s but was impressed with his playoff beard and have a crazy notion that he would mentor 27 greenbeans ‘chucky’ to be the first Hab in decades to be +100 season pointer

10. Denjen says:

Hoi everyone! Glad to see everyone made it through monday! Was looking at some old stats over the weekend from the late 90 s and early 2000 s. We were not solid then, in 2000 Rucinsky led the team in scoring with 49 pts followed by Zubrus with like 38 points and Zholtok yes Zholtok with around 35 pts but he was our leading goal scorer with 26 goals. My point- I look at our roster now and I see 6 possibly 7 players that will exceed those numbers and I look forward to seeing a break out year by Eller and the Gally s! Im excited for next yr, we have a very good team thats only getting better!

11. habsfan0 says:

Power restored on my street 15 minutes ago after an outage of almost 3 hours. The surrounding areas are still dark,however.

Toronto Star blames flooding and power failure on Rob Ford.

12. sobe says:

Lot of people here complain about size, especially in the Playoff. it is a factor but i dnt think its the most important factor heck even toughness is not the most important factor. I think last season Habs were a lot more tougher then the one from 2-3 years ago but they performed so much better in playoff even though they were out played most of the series. There were 3 factor that were missing from those playoff during last season playoff… Camelleri (sorry for the spellling), Hal Gill, and Price/Halak. If all of these 3 factors were in I think Habs would have definitely won against the Sens atleast.

I mean I only rember Galchenyk’s clean shot that beat Anderson oderwise it was all pretty much ugly goals that mtl scored againts Anderson.

You can have the biggest/toughest guys on the team but at the the end of the day the point is to score goals.

Its just last year so called “smurfs” who in my opinion are not only better but much tougher the the so called “smurfs” from 2 years ago.. couldnt score on Anderson even if there life depended on it.. forget Carey Price or D for a moment we wil leave that for some oder time..

You win by Outscoring Your opponent thats what Chicago did against Bruins.

13. habs1992 says:

So now Toronto is flooding, stay safe everyone there. It says it should stop soon, lets hope,.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

14. habs-hampton says:

I’m not saying the LeBlanc will ever make it as a regular NHLer, but its kinda funny that one of the guys everyone is screaming to get is Dan Cleary, another guy who dominated in Junior and was almost a “never-was” in the NHL until he was in his mid to late 20’s.

I wouldn’t give up yet, ya never know.

• piper says:

I think if Leblanc can get up to around 200 lbs he could be a solid NHLer. He played well but seemed to get knocked down quite a bit when up with the Habs last time. I still have hope for Louis.

15. habs-hampton says:

Quite a list of HHOF candidates. Tough to pick. That said, if the voters don’t pick Pat Burns this time around, they should board the place up. I mean really, 3 Jack Adams awards??? They should be ashamed (again) if they keep him out.

I have yet to see this kid Ben Duffy play, but if what they say about him , being a second Gallager, I’ll take him anytime.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Can’t be a second Gallagher, no spot for another one, Gallagher already has taken second Gallagher’s spot on the roster. :P

Seriously, Duffy can’t even match Gallagher’s point production in juniors, but I do say this, he had one great showing at the development camp. IMO

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I’ve looked at him and IMO, I’m not convinced he would make the cut for the roster this upcoming season.

We’ve all seen what out Habs been through last season as well with the playoffs and the evidence dictates the outcome – Size Matters!

I’m looking forward that Management will address this issue further within the next few years by drafting bigger players and sign FA’s with a minimum of around 6’00+ range.

17. Maritime Ron says:

Here’s wishing all HIO folks a great evening.

Only about 40 minutes of daylight left in this neck of the woods and with a cloudy sky, no star gazing this evening – only the sounds of the ocean which is never bad.

If you are ever contemplating a new Bar B Q, you just have to look at something called ‘The Big Green Egg.’
    Nothing like it as the old style real charcoal is needed and it comes with vents and temp controls to do anything from turkey to smoke fish and anything else.
    My incredible better half just notified that the rack of lamb is done and ready… :-) after the red, green and yellow peppers were roasted.
    Here’s wishing the best to all…

18. Bash says:

Back from Salmon fishing in Newfoundland! Hooked 18 fish in five days!
    Briere?????? That little weasel.
    Parros?? Not another Laraque so okay.

What next MB? Surely that can’t be it???

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

19. wjc says:

Last season is over. Yes believe it or not ‘last year’ is over.
    Where did the time go, regular season by about half, playoffs, and 29 teams were eliminated……last year.

Next year, next season, is not here yet, still a ways in the future.

All we have is the present, as the moments tick by they become the past, the future is still coming and the present keeps moving, never stopping.

Nothing you can do about yesterday, and tomorrow is a mystery. One thing is sure 29 teams will be eliminated including Chicago.
    Detriot will miss the playoffs and Montreal if is speculated by many will make the playoffs. But of course I could be wrong, but the chances are I will be right and if I am wrong, who will remember.

I find it more fun to be an optimists, even though you can be more right by being a pessimists.

After all, 29 teams will eventually be eliminated and your chances of being right are many times greater when you are negative.

You will eventually be right, I can prove it, pick a team to win the Stanley….got it, great, now I get all the rest, who do you think has a better chance at being right.

No G.M. can waive that magic wand and produce an instant winner, it takes time, but there are no guarantees, so you chance at being disappointed is greatly enhanced.

Try joining a marathon running group of say 30 excellent runners and guarantee you will come in first. You could pull a muscle at the beginning, you could be up against superior runners, you could be just plain off that day. Then what, you lost, try again. 29 losers…one winner, bad odds.

wjc

20. TorontoHabsFan says:

So realistically speaking, do we have the room to sign Brunner for between $3m-$4m/yr? Or is our Top 9 pretty much set?

21. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos in the GTA. Is Toronto really flooded? Or is this like Mel Lastmans snow emergency panic attack?

22. smiler2729 says:

Toronto is flooded, maybe the mayor will call out for the navy…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

23. hamiltonbulldogs says:

:) meant “don’t know who was worse”

24. hamiltonbulldogs says:

Maybe we can put a power line together … Like – LeBlanc, Desharnais and Briere … Losers … Draft bust/horrible pick and midget and finished midget … Don’t k ow who was worse – Houle, Gainey, Gauthier or MB …. Brutal … I must me a die hard, spoiled HAB FAN !!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh

• Steven says:

Leblanc’s like 21. Played solid with limited ice time in ’12, had a bad and injury riddled season in ’13, and that’s his entire professional career. How is he a bust?

Also, “midget”. By that classification, being a short player is an immediate indication that the player is bad. So, I guess St. Louis, Naslund, and Henri Richard were all bad and worthy of being on a line like this one, that you also classify as bad.

Other than the “midget” part again, what Briere can or cannot bring still remains to be seen. I find it hard to believe you can astutely classify him as “finished” without seeing him in a Habs uni. Last season was his only bad season in a while, and EVERYONE in Philly was bad last year.

25. hamiltonbulldogs says:

Leblanc … Who cares !!!

26. jimmy shaker says:

Here was my wish list MB in case you were wondering……..

Ryan Clowe
    Rob Scuderi
    Hemsky
    Shultz
    Vinny
    Bernier

And the dark horse of it all…the return of MAB!

Shaker out!

• The_Truth says:

I think we were very lucky to avoid Clowe. 5 years at almost 5 million per year is crazy. i would have taken Clarkson’s contract any day over his.

27. Mattyleg says:

I spent the whole day today with a 65-lb jackhammer drilling holes through the 3 LAYERS of asphalt (and the odd concrete strata) that someone decided to lay in my back yard over the past 90 years that my house has been around.

Then with a pry-bar and a pickaxe I hauled it all up.

My backyard looks like a dog’s breakfast, but I’m glad my dad was there to help me; not so much with the physical stuff, but just being there and chipping in. He’s a renovation superstar, and it was great having him around.

Now the unsmall task of shipping a ton of asphalt and concrete out of my back yard and into an eco-centre…

The fun begins.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Come on MB – sign that concrete.

• kerrgte says:

you’re a lucky guy to have your dad helping you out.

i bet it made his day too. Doing things with your family is the very definition of a ‘treasured moment’, and will remain yours forever.

cheers

• twilighthours says:

Like moms and sewing, dads just know how to get crap done around the house.

I feel these are talents that the next generation of people, or even my generation, will have lost forever.

• ABHabsfan says:

Do yourself a favour Matty and hire a skidsteer on rent one yourself. A little extra cost but the job will be done in 1/4 of the time. Good luck!

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• chesterfiled says:

Yes rent the the skidsteer, will save on cost of effing up your truck or in my case ‘sunfire’ and will will take 1/4 time to do and 1/4 time of dad chirping

• yakhab says:

Is this facebook ?

28. frontenac1 says:

@spinorama. I grew up southwest of Montreal . We had Phil Goyette and Marcel Pronovost at our minor hockey banquet. And rubber chicken. It was magic! Saludos!.

29. SnowManHabs85 says:

Next year UFA is gonna be interesting, a lot of big names coming out of their big deals including our own lil Gionta. Vanek, Marleau, Gabby, just to name a few. It’s gonna be interesting year, the top fish would make a team regret giving Clarkson that much that long if his contract was up next year instead of this off season.

This could be the last season where the smurfs could get to play together if MB is watching closely to next years free agents.

• Maritime Ron says:

Maybe, maybe not.
      Teams have from now until next July 1st to tie up their key guys.
      With few exceptions, history shows that teams extend their pending UFAs.
      Very premature to make a list.
      Let’s wait until the 2014 playoffs are over.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Where’s the fun in that? The fun about being fans is to discuss who can Habs grab during the season and who can potential sign with Habs current needs.

If Gionta will be gone, who can be our finisher?
        If Markov will be gone, who he be replaced with?
        Its just fun!! ;)

• Alvin says:

I’m hoping Gio sees the writing on the wall and retires, before this season, gracefully as Captain of the Montreal Canadiens.
      Next year will depend on the salary cap.

30. SoFlaHab says:

@MaritimeRon Great post. More of us should have that attitude. Brière will have a positive effect on this roster.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi SFH

While I may be wrong, something tells me that most, if not all posters here have never experienced the wealth opportunities/choices of a 29 years old Daniel Briere.

Perhaps what we can understand if one is +50 years old, is how we ‘thought’ about things at 29 vs. 35..or if some tough life situations changed our outlook about things (Divorce with kids-losing parents or friend at young ages…)

From here, I hope we cut him some slack….allow him to play and embrace Montreal, and HOPE he will be a great mentor for all our young guys.

• Marc10 says:

Yep. Right there with you MR.

He was sold on Philly on a couple of fronts. Playing with Simon Gagne, hanging with his buddy Martin Biron… Denis Gauthier was also there at the time and I suspect his wife really preferred Philly to the Montreal fishbowl. And of course you have the taxes and the high US dollar at the time.

He’s a Hab now and there’s no point in slagging a guy off if he’s going to put in the effort to get us what we all want… and I suspect he’ll be leading by example and putting in the ol’ 110% whenever he’s on the ice. Here’s hoping it works out.

Briere est seul devant Rask. Il lance et compte!

31. montreal ace says:

I don’t like the term overage junior when it comes to prospects very much, as not every person ages the same way physically and emotionally. I am very happy the Habs are looking for players, that might not have had the best coaching, line mates, or playing time.

32. habstrinifan says:

I see some views explaining away our end of season troubles very lightly.

One particular statement dismays me. “Once they team clinched the playoffs they let up.. the swoon was all due to this let up”.

The HABS were almost never in doubt re making the playoffs. But their weak play started before they clinched and just a little before Emelin’s injury.

Emelin’s injury probably deepened the ‘swoon’ but there were signs the team was running into trouble before he went down.

MB and MT must recognize that the team did have a swoon similar to the past two years and that Emelin’s injury or a playoff birth clinching was not the underlying cause… even if many here on HIO refuse to admit that the HABS ended the season as one of the weaker sisters of the NHL.

• johnnylarue says:

Seemed to me like it was game over once other teams figured out how to beat The Swarm.

Suddenly, Price couldn’t stop a beach ball, our D were constantly caught out of position and things generally got ugly.

I’ll give The Swarm credit: when it worked, it worked very well.

• Clay says:

Goaltending collapse – that was the cause of the ‘swoon’.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• The Jackal says:

The easiest explanation, but not the correct one.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

You are mistaken. No surprise there. If you look at my sig, you are one of the most frequent violators of that rule, especially when it comes to Price.

__________________________

• The Jackal says:

Ok there…

I suppose a defensive collapse was not the cause then?
            Price faltered because the D could not clear the zone and continuously gave away quality scoring chances, yet apparently it is his fault that attacking players were allowed to get to the highest quality areas to score from? Come on!

It appears you are believing things contrary to the evidence against them.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

Ok there yourself.
            Price faltered because he couldn’t stop floaters from the boards, or stop a beach ball. He blew it, plain and simple. Why do you think they fired his goalie coach – because he was playing so well?

__________________________

• The_Truth says:

Price was not good, there is no doubt. His numbers were terrible down the stretch and in the Playoffs. The d wasn’t great, but Price definitely wasn’t either. At this stage in his career (1/3rd of it is over), i found his play troubling, when the pressure was on. Reputable guys like Serge Savard, Scotty Bowman, Patrick roy and even his own GM are starting to question him.

Watching guys like Quick, Rask, Crawford and Niemi, there was no contest. It’s a big year for him next season. If he doesn’t bounce back in his 8th season, it could mark the beginning of the end for him.

33. Maritime Ron says:

For anyone that still has issues with Briere, a repost and perhaps something to consider…
    ———
    One of the questions left unanswered about Danny Briere choosing Montreal this time around – when several reports had him being offered more term and money, was WHY NOW?

While from the outside the life or an NHL hockey player appears to be all about celebrity and wealth, they are not immune to the curveballs life can throw.

Over and above the 2 concussions and other injuries Briere suffered, he experienced a divorce a few years back where 3 children (11-14) were involved…and perhaps equally or more important, he lost his reported very close 63 year old Quebec based mother just last summer to a sudden brain hemorrhage.

Six years ago when Briere was 29 and ‘allegedly’ snubbed the Habs for the Flyers, that was a different life and situation.

Today, unless he hooked up with the Madoffs of the world, money should not be an object for him.

Maybe, just maybe, Briere wanted to come home – to be close to his family and some of his long time youth best friends – to have his children get close to his family roots – and perhaps to play for his childhood team and contribute in any way possible.
    If true – and much points to that, what is the problem?

As a Habs fan, I welcome Briere back and wish him great luck.

Briere’s story here:

Ian Grant Cobb
    Saturday near Belleville
    When I took the entrance exam for medical
    school, I was perplexed by this question:
    “Rearrange the letters
    P-N-E-S-I to spell out the part of the human body that is most useful when
    erect.”
    Those who spelled SPINE became doctors. The rest
    are in Parliament.

35. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

I’m from a wee burgh a couple hours west of Montreal. Back when I was a kid, our minor hockey organization would have a big banquet at the end of the season. For the first few years they always had an NHL player as the guest of honor. In 1971, the year of the Hab’s unexpected win over Chicago in the finals, the guest of honor at our banquet was none other than Ken Dryden, winner of the Conn Smythe that year. I remember being completely awestruck seeing him in person only 2 or 3 weeks after watching him lead the Habs to the Cup on TV. And I remember at the end of the evening watching as he drove off in his car alone. Imagine that? A newly minted star coming to a small town without an entourage to eat rubbery chicken with a bunch of little kids. My, how times have changed…

36. habstrinifan says:

Hi folks. I was checking the HABS website, as linked thru NHL.COM. Parros is listed as one of our forwards but Briere isnt.

I was under the impression that all UFA’S (including buyouts) could be officially inked to a contract past weekend. Can someone tell me why Briere doesnt appear on the team roster.

Thank yoo.

37. fastfreddy says:

Do people /fans feel that Max Pac is a “physical enough” forward? I don’t. I like Max Pac , but, would like to see him use his frame to crash the net more, play a little like Prust say.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• johnnylarue says:

I feel like Max took a step back in the physicality department after he concussed Letang last season. Maybe lost a bit of his edge.

Having been the recipient of a career-threatening hit himself, it’s an understandable reaction, but I agree that he’d be even better with a bit more sandpaper in his game.

• yakhab says:

That was the problem with Latendresse
      Just because he was big… he had to be a big hitter
      The man is a goal scorer
      Treat him like they are
      Not what you want them to be.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Now, that just sounds like a person reaching to find something to be grumpy about. We do know that Max has super human recovery powers and the ability to withstand significant pain. He is the Habs best winger and was the Habs top point producer last season. He has also signed an amazing Habs friendly contract. Perhaps he was playing through an injury last year?

• Alvin says:

First of all I think Max is way over rated. Doesn’t skate very well, is rather clumsy and uncoordinated, doesn’t have much of a shot and is not a very good passer. His current physicality is the result of the aforementioned clumsiness and poor skating more than anything else.
      Prust on the other hand is a very good skater and well coordinated (except when he drove his head and shoulders into the back boards that time )
      But to answer your question no I think he should not try to play any tougher than he does. He’d just end up hurting himself, more than likely.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I don’t see Patches needs to get “physical enough.” He needs to bulk up and gain more muscle. The 82 game regular season doesn’t need to be as brutal as the playoffs.

I don’t get the logic of being rugged all season long. You only run the risk of more injures. Probably in the postseason, he should get tough. But for him, he should stick with the scoring and getting in front of the net.

This years roster is going to make a noise boys and girls. Last year we played exciting and entertaining hockey, I had a great time watching each game.
    This upcoming year there will be improvements, as we creep towards the cup. See you all in Montreal in Oct.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

39. Bill says:

@johnnylarue, Clarkson was the most overrated player in the FA market, at least in my opinion.

40. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

If this turns out to be our team come October. No playoffs.

• Maritime Ron says:

Why?

• Fransaskois says:

That’s the worst possible outcome! Who would ever want the better draft position, moving of aging assets, youth movement and the rebuilding/refocusing of our team if we were to miss out on the playoffs?

But yes, we need several players to step up next year and I can’t honestly see my expectations for these players being met. Too many holes and too many question marks for me.

• Maritime Ron says:

Fransy

You make some valid points.
          A top 14 pick – another top 44 pick is better than picking 25th or 20th in Round I.
          Being able to dump a Gio/Markov for more draft picks at the trade deadine is preferable to holding on because we can’t – then lose them for nothing.

The alternate argument is a culture of losing and not getting to the playoffs where our youngsters don’t learn what it takes to move forward.

What would be fun to see is letting our younger guys play and get minutes – both up front and on D and let the cards fall where they will.

We now have Parros/Prust to protect our guys…

• Fransaskois says:

I thought you might like that ;) I’m sure one or two seasons of poor performance will not create a losing culture. We’re losing anyways, might as well have it be worth something.

• Ian Cobb says:

Ron! They have no idea! Do not waist your time.!

• myron.selby says:

Yeah, man with the only change being replacing Ryder with Briere we can only expect the same kind of crap we had to put up with last year from this team. No wait …

• yakhab says:

Oh ye of little faith !

• ZepFan2 says:

Since we’re looking into the future. What’s the winning numbers for this weeks lotteries?

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

41. Bill says:

Do we really want Perron? Another small forward …

• Mike D says:

I definitely do. Perron isn’t actually small and he plays much bigger than he is. Lots of grit! He’d be a perfect top-6 LWer which is exactly what we need.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny
      The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Fransaskois says:

Bill, Perron is not a small forward. He’s regular-sized and plays with a lot of grit and character. He’d be an upgrade physically and offensively over every winger we have apart from Pacioretty (yes, that includes Bourque). He’s a very good, local player with room to grow. I would say we really want Perron, he definitely won’t be adding to the “small” issues.

• punkster says:

Crap…the limit for “small” has been upped to 6 feet.

2 more inches and I’ll be a smurf.

(I always like Perron and he seems to have picked up where he left off when he got the concussion…so ya, Perron)

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• I’d love Perron — but I’d much rather increase our offer to get Berglund instead. IMO, any deal for Perron has got to have Desharnais going the other way.

And to be fair, Perron is 6’0 200lbs. : )

42. NightRyder says:

Saw the video posted before – did not realize Trevor Timmins is yoked. Wonder if he’s got little big man syndrome and this might explain why he drafts so many teeny, talented kids? (“I’ll show them, little guys can do anything…”)

43. Bill says:

Looks like Bergevin is done for the time being.

I don’t believe we can go into next season with the defence corps we have now.

And I would prefer to see at least one upgrade at forward, although that is presently a less critical need than defence.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Who would you like to see added to our defence corps?

• Maritime Ron says:

Just some depth tweaking left with the UFAs that didn’t find a chair when the music stopped after the annual UFA frenzy Musical Chairs.

• Stevie.Ray says:

T4P reported that MB has inquired about Perron from St. Louis, as well as Chris Stewart. Also, talked to Winnipeg about Evander Kane, but price Winnipeg is asking for is far too high for MB. So it sounds like he is still looking around the league for a trade.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It doesn’t seem there is anyone else available on D. It would be nice to get a stud D man who can move the puck and play 25 min/game. (As opposed to a pylon who can drop the gloves.) I’m not sure how we get that player.

Two of Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu will play quite a few games for the Habs next year. Not at the start of the season perhaps but once injuries hit.

Right now, the most likely opening day defensive lineup consists of PK, Gorges, Marky, Diaz, Bouillon and Tinordi. Depending on training camp, Pateryn or Beaulieu might replace Tinordi. The other 5 are pretty much set in stone (barring a trade or injury).

Drewiske might start instead of Tinordi. When Emelin returns, who he replaces will depend on how Tinordi/Drewiske did.

• wjc says:

How come the defense was good enough during the season last year.

wjc

• Maritime Ron says:

What part of the 48 (not 82) game season?
        The 1st part?
        The 2nd part?
        Or the playoffs?

• wjc says:

The thing is, they played a 48 game season, but they played to many back to back games and 4 games in 6 nights.

Once they clinched, they let up and then went into a spin, true enough.

Injuries caught up to them and the condensed schedule was a big factor. Playing the games over a normal season should be easier. Eller getting hurt when he was playing so well, hurt alot, they did not have the depth to handle it. Maturity should help and more depth…Tinordi more ready, P.k playing from the beginning. Markov rested. One of Beaulieu, or Pateryn making the team.
          Gallagher with more experience and a new tough guy to take some of the heavy weights on, instead of Prust and company. Expecting big things from Bourque and DD as well.

You do not have to make over the whole team, Expect Price to make it big this year.

They missed the playoffs entirely the season before, they made big progress in my opinion. Yes, they lost the first round, new season, better results.

wjc

• Maritime Ron says:

wjc

Every team had the same schedule.

The huge question in the 2nd half was did they actually “let up”…. OR…. did other teams figure out their D schemes and begin to adjust?

As for injuries, they test an org’s depth….something that is built via the draft, and then via strategic trades and UFA signings.

• Andy says:

Not every team had the same amount of back to back games.

• He may be done with major UFA signings, but I’d be surprised if he didn’t bulk up our forwards and D, and add a couple more bodies to the Bulldogs.

That said, though this may not be popular, I’d love to see him land Jagr — and not just for his offence. Getting a top-six forward for no assets on a one-year deal means he could move/package one of Gionta or Desharnais for a badly needed prospect at forward without sacrificing depth. That would also mean that next year, Jagr’s $4.5M or so comes off the books just as Subban’s contract is up, so we’re not hamstrung there. He also buys us some time while guys to make a deal, or to let guys like Collberg get seasoned in the AHL.

Re: on-ice contributions, he may not have been stellar in the playoffs, but he’s huge, extremely difficult to knock off the puck, still has incredible hands, and managed 16/19/34 numbers in 45 games last year. Last year, that would have made him our top-scoring forward after Pacioretty (39 points). Sure he’s slowed down, but there are 30 teams that would be better with him on the roster.

44. TorontoHabsFan says:

How are we seeing the Centres for next season?

1. Plekanec

5. Galchenyuk
      6. Prust
      7. Dumont
      8. White
      9. Bournival
      10. Leblanc

• I’d be really surprised if Desharnais and Plekanec are both on the team in October. Eller is really coming into his own at center, and Galchenyuk has got to play center to progress at his natural position.

• Alvin says:

Pleks is the best all around hockey player on the team and perhaps in the league. Getting rid of him would be tantamount to cutting their own throat.

45. Maritime Ron says:

Re Mikhail Grabovski

In 2010-11 on a horse crap Leafs team, Grabovski had 29 goals/58 points was a Plus +14. That same year, Kessel best buddie Tyler Bozak had 15 goals and was Minus -29.

In the 2011-12 season Grabovski had 23 goals/51 points playing only 17 minutes and playing only 2nd Unit PP leftover minutes.

2012-13. Enter Carlyle and he tries to make Grabovski something he is not. Disaster!

Let’s put it this way.
    If we had a chance to sign him to a 3 year contract @ $3.5M – the equivalent of what remains on a contract of a present Habs Center, you do that in a heart beat.
    What we get in return for dumping that present Habs center is icing on the cake.
    Grabovski is strong on his skates and can take a hit….

46. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Habs wouldn’t go after Vanek. He’s a 1st line Right Winger. They wouldn’t want a 1st liner that would make the other Guys look bad.

We have our 1st liner in Briere. I forgot.

47. Sam Boni says:

Wonder if Carey’s MCL sprain has fully healed and if he’s back at hasslin’ cows (or is that “wrastlin’?”). Sometimes, this site needs an insider.

48. Sam Boni says:

Mikhail Grabovski is available as a FA. He’s only 29 (not at risk of declining yet in case the coach wants to use him as a power forward).

49. Sportfan says:

LOL BGL to be in bi-election in Montreal for the Green Party

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

50. Sportfan says:

From Arpon Basu’s twitter account!

“If I had to guess, #Habs interest in Jagr likely waned when he wouldn’t take a big discount to play for them. Only $4M in cap space remains.”

I kind of had a feeling Jagr would still want an over the top amount of money, but to me he’s getting older no younger and frankly its not worth it.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habilis says:

So are we officially out of the running?

• Sportfan says:

That I don’t know, but we might be if he’s asking for more than 4 we can’t pay that and frankly if its more than 2 is he really worth it we only have 4 million dollars in cap-space yet. I think we can find a few surprises with that money instead of spending it on him.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• habs-fan-84 says:

One can only hope.

• Kooch7800 says:

agreed. We have no room on the roster for him unless there is a trade. Our Defense needs to be addressed first

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habilis says:

No argument here. I’d rather the Habs kept the 4mil in reserve to facilitate a trade, either now or some time before the deadline during the season.

Jagr was great, but I agree with Sportfan, he is not worth more than 2mil at this point. If the Habs sign him for 3 or 4 without making a trade of some sort, I’ll be pretty disappointed. I’m already unimpressed with the Briere signing, and the Kristo-Thomas deal was just odd.

I am keeping the faith for now though. Long way to go before camp yet.

• johnnylarue says:

“I mean it this time, I TRULY want to play in Montreal–provided that fantastic organization agrees to pay me at least $500,000 more than the other clubs I’m talking to…”

51. Sportfan says:

Sources tell me that if I go north of sources from the lakeshore I’ll find a golf course is it true D:

There that’s my take on Sources lets let that joke die quickly lol.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

52. Sportfan says:

I know size has always been an issue with the habs but its seems the past two seasons its been overblown to new levels!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• piper says:

Only due to the beat downs by Boston, Toronto, Ottawa and others not in our division.

• The Juice says:

Habs did not lose to the Sens because of a size differential. It was due to the following (in order): Poor goaltending, poor officiating, and loss of #1 center in game 1.

Habs won season series against Boston.

Care to try again?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• johnnylarue says:

Poor goaltending was the #1 cause of our loss to the Sens?

You’re being awfully generous to our offense, which scored 2 goals or less in 3/4 of our playoff losses this season.

• yakhab says:

Can’t agree with you more
            A goal or two on the PP would have changed the outcome
            Say hello to everyone Daniel !

• Lil Snapper says:

Care to try again?
          You wonder why some people get upset when they get attacked for their opinion on here.

53. mrhabby says:

The President of my Company shaking his head at the inactivity of the Canadiens at FA day. He did say Paros will do well and fits in…Habs need more size, toughness and more top end power..

54. mrhabby says:

Mark Fraser of the Leafs is going to arbirtration..would look good in a habs jersey.
    Big, not very fast but good defensively, drop the gloves with anybody and tough..

55. habs1992 says:

Just wanted to share one of my fun stories, Claude Julien is a good man and helped me out one time on some inside information. My grandparents own a cottage in Rideau Ferry (1 hour away from Ottawa) well it just happens that Claude goes down their during the summer and I see him frequently at a chip wagon. Any way last summer I seen him and I asked him very quickly “when are we going to see hockey again” Claude looked at me and said January” I then said “right on” and isn’t that something Claude was right. I hope to see him again this summer and ask him another question. I have yet to think of what it could be though.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• krob1000 says:

• doc359 says:

See, thats a post where you could have simply said you wanted to share a fun story, instead you used it as a way to back up that you are some kind of insider. That’s the way to make people irritated with you.

• habs1992 says:

Valid point. Changed it right away. I am going to need help along away.

I support Carey Price
        “Habs Insider”

• doc359 says:

Not sure if you took that insultingly. I didn’t mean it as such. I am much more a luker than a poster, so I appreciate people like you who give me lots of posts to read. Its just that everyone at some point starts to rub people the wrong way and needs someone to point it out.

• Steven says:

I don’t feel that’s inside information. Seems more like speculation, as we all were doing during the lockout. It just so happened he was right.

• Chris says:

Everybody in hockey was basically saying “January”. Nothing too prescient on the part of Julien there.

That being said, it is fun to run into the people we usually see on TV or to have met them before they became famous. My brothers got to meet Ron Francis most summers, as he occasionally cottaged near my home town. Bob Gainey had a cottage up there too, but we never saw him.

When my older brother was in high school competing in track & field meets, he threw discus and shot put against guys like Tie Domi, Owen Nolan and Mike Ricci. When I got to high school, I threw discus against Ethan Moreau, the former Oiler that is now a scout for the Habs. Let’s just say that he absolutely annihilated me (he was very talented in that event!).

• HabFanSince72 says:

Claude Julien is often at the chip wagon? Who would have guessed?

• piper says:

I can see Julien frequenting the chip wagon.

• piper says:

I can picture him standing in line with Hank and Boomhauer.

56. habs1992 says:

Who is going to get Tim Thomas?

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

57. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Guess I will have to now. The Evil Barkeep was fired! I’m mad. We had an understanding. He hated me and I hated him. It was good. Now what?

@Front, new barkeeps can be dangerous, sometimes better the devil you know than the devil you don’t.

I had some turnover at my local this past year, things have calmed down lately, much better.

All the best, good luck!

• HabFab says:

You guys are lucky. The manager of my local hires a stereotype … they all look alike, dress alike, can’t tell them apart. It is a bit of a drag really.

Who wants to look at under 30 pretty blondes showing too much cleavage wearing black dresses or tight pants all the time? I mean let’s get serious here… no wonder I drink!!

• Mike D says:

What’s the name of that bar again, Frank?

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny
        The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• HabFab says:

But the tips are breaking me ;)

• Chuck says:

No, we’re really not kidding. What is it called?!!!!!!

__________________________________________________
            Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston (Triple check.) Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

• Mike D says:

Yeah Frank, don’t hold out on us.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny
            The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• HabFab says:

Okay, the “Steeplechase” but don’t tell ANYONE!!
            They always have an empty seat for me.

58. habs001 says:

The Habs pp this year should remain at the same level as last year…with Markov and Pk at the points and hopefully Diaz gets back the confidence he had at the beginning of the season that he lost after the injury…a fourth pp pointman would not hurt either…Hopefully they can improve a bit in the faceoffs but i dont really say a major improvement…The pk has to improve from 23rd as i believe if they are able to go into a top 10 position this alone would mean 8-10 more points in the season…I believe the pk was a major contributor for the Habs slump at the end of the year…Maybe i am wrong but it does not seem that the Habs coaching staff take the pk problems as seriously as they should

59. Fransaskois says:

Div C (our new division) gets their drafts analyzed and rated by The Hockey Writers. I agree for the most part, it’s a good article if you’re interested.

60. krob1000 says:

I have always been a big Ryder fan….I have to wonder about NJ as a fit though. I guess he idea is another right hand shooting pp threat to keep opposing teams from overplaying Kovalchuk…be interesting to see if they plant ryder on the slot and if hey do….whether or not Kovalchuk is willing to slap pass to the slot enoguht o make him effective. Could either be a really good move or could be some tough times for Ryder as a goals scorer as Kovalchuk is the go to shooter. I canl twiat to see their pp….I love watching special teams these days as goals become more and more scarce …they can make or break teams and finding seams and options is so hard with giant goalies and 4 other goalies on the ice anymore.Ryder is a great pp man…..but will he fit with Kovy? It worked with Subban so in theory it should be fine….but I worry for Ryder though.

• habs1992 says:

I can’t stand Ryder glad that he is not a hab no more.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Mattyleg says:

I was a big Ryder fan when he was here first time around, and was glad to see him back, but he is SO streaky that it’s hard to really get a grip on him.
      He’s not a clutch performer either, unless his streaks coincide with pressure games.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

Sadly though Matty…he had two points for us in the playoffs in 5 games but it was more than DD, Max P, Gionta (only 2 games played), and the same amount as Brandon Gallagher.

You should note though he had 17 points in 25 games in Boston’s cup run…2 game winning goals as well. That isn’t bad

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• krob1000 says:

in the first year after he was traded he had 13 points in only 11 games…he is most definitely clutch…always has been.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

He also made that amazing save on Plekanec in Game7 OT with Thomas down and out. Without that, the Bruins don’t win the cup. I always liked Michael Ryder. Not for that play, but I liked him as a Hab.

• krob1000 says:

not clutch? that is the opposite of how I view Ryder….he almost singlehandedly eliminated the HAbs the year they got rid of him, he also was instrumental in the Rangers comeback and the game where the LEafs and HAbs played for their playoff lives he got a hat trick…pretty clutch by me. He was clearly banged up this postseason. He had 17 goals and 18 assists in 49 playoff games with the BRuins….not clutch???

61. habs1992 says:

Pretty slow day in hockey, but sources are telling me that the NHL will go to Sochi in 2014. Its not that shocking but it’s good that this will get done.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

62. Chris says:

Decent (albeit a bit “statish” for some elements here) article by James Mirtle about the risks of signing UFA forwards, particularly power forwards.

This has always been my central motivation when assessing UFA power forwards. When does the decline begin? We’ve seen time and time again that, when that decline arives, it is often precipitous. Players can go from point-per-game producers to barely staying in the lineup within 2-3 seasons.

For power forwards, the wear and tear associated with that style of play really adds up over time. There are exceptions, such as Keith Tkachuk and Brendan Shanahan, but power forwards in general seem to really tail off in their early 30’s. For example:

At age 29, Kevin Stevens was coming off 41 goals, 88 points and 155 PIM in 83 games played. Over the remaining 8 seasons of his career (most impacted by injuries), Stevens only scored more than 14 goals once (23 goals and 43 points in 81 games at age 33).

At age 30, John Leclair was coming off 40 goals and 77 points in 82 games. Over the remaining 6 years of his career, his goal totals were 7, 25, 18, 23, 22, and 2 as injuries basically derailed his career (he missed 190 games out of a possible 492).

Eric Lindros’s injury-fueled decline began at age 29.

At age 31, Olli Jokinen was coming off a 29 goal season, and had scored 34, 39, and 38 goals in the three previous seasons, respectively. Since then, his goal totals have dropped substantially: 15, 17, 23, and 7 in 45 games last year. Jokinen is about half the player he used to be when it comes to goal scoring. His point totals have stayed somewhat elevated because of playing with Iginla, but he’s a shadow of the player that was a hot commodity at age 31.

This summer, the candidates were Clarkson (29) and Clowe (31 in September). Neither of these guys were elite NHL offensive power forwards, but took advantage of being big fish in a shallow pond. I’ll be interested to see how many people still think Bergevin was foolish for not signing either guy at this time in the summer of 2015.

You bring up some compelling names in that list of bigger/power forwards whose career numbers really dropped off. I will not pretend that I didn’t wish there was a way for either Clarkson or Clowe to be Habs, but I was also hopeful the term and price would be sane.

Given that was impossible, MB probably did indeed to the wise thing. It is just hard to be patient as we wait for our prospects to come of age per se to be helpful.

• krob1000 says:

I don’t buy that….there is also a theory that power forwards take longer to hit their stride and effectively use their bodies….Holmstrom(best years from 31-36), Knuble (best years from 30-38), etc,etc. Lindros was concussions and a reluctance to play safer, Stevens is rumoured to have had some extracurricular activities that may or may not have taken a toll on him, Jokinen ….not sure about that one, Leclair…back…the back is a killer of many a big mans athletic careers…not sure that can be attributed to a “power forward” role.
      All athletes are different and I think it can be a better made assumption that power forwards will develop later….and how they fare after 30 or so depends a lot on luck(health), self maintenance and a variety of other factors.
      I look at Clowe and I have to wonder about his health given he is constantly fighting through injury, Clarkson on the other hand I think is going to be a 20 goal guy or thereabouts for years if given appropriate minutes. Add Franzen as another whose best years are after 30 as well. Wendel Clark had 2 of his best 3 years at 30 and 32. Tkachuk, Iginla, Jagr, Messier, Shanahan, Gordie Howe…tons of examples of guys who were ultra productive at a later age as power forwards….all cases must be examined individually…and then MB must look at their character and what they offer the room!

• Maritime Ron says:

Every athlete is different
        Eric Cole had 35 goals as a 33 year old..
        There are several theories out there – one being that a true sniper peaks at 27 that has been disproven often.
        Motivation, desire, team, line mates…all factor in

• krob1000 says:

bad example….a fire hydrant could score 50 with DD passing the puck! just kidding..I like DD the person much like Gorges but I see both of them as not fitting in with the rest of the lineup.

• Chris says:

I hope he rebounds, as he still has the speed to be an effective NHL player. But man he looked terrible last season. Cole is a good example of a precipitous decline.

• Chris says:

Rob, I’m not disputing that injuries are a big part of it. But power forwards, by the nature of the game that they play, take more of a pounding than most players.

Knuble and Holmstrom are two interesting cases in that their best years didn’t come until their 30’s. For most power forwards, they tend to hit their stride between 22 and 24 years old. Their peak years tend to run from there until their early 30’s. And then the wheels often fall off.

Holmstrom never fought, while Knuble had 5 fights spread over a decade. Clowe had 5 last season alone, while Clarkson had 6. Guys who fight take an even heavier pounding than the power forwards that are simply physical.

When you’re talking about guys like Tkachuk, Iginla, Jagr, Messier, Shanahan and Howe, you are talking about some of the most talented players that have ever played the game. That was why I put in the line about Clarkson and Clowe not being big fish in a shallow pond. Neither guy is particularly talented, so he’s not going to fare well when he has to start relying more on skill and hockey IQ to remain effective.

You mentioned Wendel Clark having good seasons at age 30 and 32. At 33, he had 4 goals in 33 games and never played again. This is a great case for what I was trying to convey. Guys can still be effective past 30. But when the wheels fall off (usually due to injury), it is often accompanied by a catastrophic drop-off in production.

• krob1000 says:

I just wouldn’t equate power forward to tail off at 30….snipers can have the same happen, goalies, d men…..injuries are injuries and age is age. All cases must be looked at individually and even then….things happen. As i stated originally…I wouldn;t have gambled that heavy on Clowe…Clarkson….has a shot. The fighting is big part of it too..because of the injury factor…shoulders are crucial and they often get hurt in fights…when the injuries happen later on they take longer to heal, guys feel pressured to rush back,etc,etc. Marian Gaborik, Pavel Bure, Peter Forsberg, Saku Koivu, ….similar things can be said of them, they were offensive guys (Forsberg was aphysical but oddly enough it wasa bizarre foot thing that did him in)……they all had the same thing happen. I just can’t conculde there is anything to it being a theme amongst power forwards…I just can’t agree with Mirtle’s rationale on that.

• boing007 says:

Looking good for Steve Stamkos.

Richard R

• on2ndthought says:

I think Stevens was traded away from Lemieux, Lindros and Lec;air went down together ((i.e. Leclair missed Lindros). Reminds me of Oilers trading B.J. MacDonald.
      Reporter:”you don’t trade 50 goal scorers” (BJ had 54 that year)
      Sather: “I can put a fire hydrant on the ice with Gretzky, it’ll score 50!”
      don’t think BJ scored 20 ever again.
      I didn’t (don’t) want Bickell or Clarkson to score goals, but to make room for our skill guys. Goals will come, but the job that Bickell did against Chara (and remember he lost more of those battles than he won) gave Toews and Kane the chance to win the cup. They did. Team sport.

“a cannonading drive”

63. frontenac1 says:

Rumours? There’s one going around the Saloon that the new barmaid doesn’t hate me. This could be different if its true.

64. Maritime Ron says:

Ryder to the NJ Devils
    2 years / $7M total

• Kooch7800 says:

cheaper than Briere and he had a hell of a lot more goals than Briere.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mattyleg says:

Not nearly the hockey player that Briere is though.
        Don’t know if you remember how hot and cold Ryder can be.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• TheDagger says:

Don’t remember that “hot” part so much…. sure as hell remember the “cold”…. aka “Play-Offs”.

• Kooch7800 says:

I know what Briere is capable of in the past I am just worried with his injury history that he may not be the player he once was. Ryder was just a shooter and sucked at D and as you say was hot and cold but his numbers compared to Briere’s the last two were significantly better.

Hot or cold he puts up more points and plays more games recently.

I know the Briere signing doesn’t cost us really anything I just am not a fan of 4 mill a season going to him when he had 16 points last year and 49 points the year before

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mattyleg says:

Could be a system thing, however.
            Some players don’t do well in certain systems.
            We might be surprised with Danny B.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

Fingers crossed. Briere is a good hockey player. I just hope his body can hold up and he can still produce.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• johnnylarue says:

I’ve thought of this too. Strictly one-dimensional and an acknowledged ‘zero’ in the leadership department, but there’s no questioning Ryder’s ability to put the puck in the net.

That said, when he’s cold, he’s utterly useless–unlike Briere who can still skate the puck up the ice and gain the blueline, Gomez-style… for what that’s worth. (I.e. ~$4 million per season, I gather!)

• habs1992 says:

CONFIRMED

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

65. Sportfan says:

Wait are we losing Trevor Timmins?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Given how fanatical many of us are here for our Habs, interesting tidbit from a Cleveland Browns fan. He recently past away, but had included in his obituary that he requested 6 Cleveland Browns players as pallbearers, thus allowing the Browns to let him down one more time.

• Chuck says:

You just know that a Chicago Cubs or Leaf fan will steal this idea. :)

__________________________________________________

• HabFab says:

Actually know a Leaf fan that has this posted on his office wall… Leaf version of course.

67. frontenac1 says:

I love Whitey! Always have. He played and fought better when he had that long hair though. Some guys are like that. Its a Sampson thing.

68. sims says:

How about DD and a 2nd for Vanek? Buff needs centres. Should i call MB?

• on2ndthought says:

sneak something into Regher’s (Buf GM?) kool-aid and make it happen (not sure we have cap space long-term tho

“a cannonading drive”

• HabFab says:

Only if you don’t mind being laughed at or swore at depending on how his day has gone?

• sims says:

what would it take to get him from them? i would assume he’ll be dealt by deadline

vanek would be perfect imo

• HabFab says:

Probably more then I would want to pay. Vanek is a $50-75 player. DD is a $10-20 player and a 2nd is worth about $5. Talent equal on our team is PK. It would take a Patches along with Tinordi or Beaulieu plus to equal.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Disagree.

Pacs? He alone is probably going to be nearly as productive as Vanek soon.

• HabFab says:

But you are looking at it from the fans view point. Pretend you are the GM of Buffalo. What would he want in return to trade Vanek?

• jedimyrmidon says:

Not looking at it from a fan’s point of view.

Pacs is starting to produce on Vanek’s level and he’s 23 (or 24) rather than 29. And he’s making 4.5M AAV instead of 7.1M. I have NO idea why it would cost Pacs + Tinordi (probably the Habs’ 2nd best prospect) to land a guy who is moving on beyond his prime and would command a higher salary while not producing significantly more.

69. on2ndthought says:

Lots of White hate happening. Only 25, sign him as 13th forward. Against Laffs, BBB, Phlyers, Ott the 4th line: Parros/White/Moen; (DD sits); against others DD tries to spark Parros or White and Moen.

This won’t happen; I don’t think MT has the same center depth chart as I do:
    1. Chuck (with Gally, Pax)
    2. Pleks: Gio / Bourque
    3. Eller (Prust Danny B)
    4. DD/Whitey (Parros, Moen)
    but I can dream until October. This line-up would compete (I think)

“a cannonading drive”

70. SmartDog says:

LE THOUGHT DU JOUR:
    How do you know you’re a total loser? When you’re too scummy for the Boston Bruins.

Here’s lookin’ at you Tyler. Good luck in Dallas, where they shoot stuff they don’t like!
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFab says:

How are those French lessons coming?

• on2ndthought says:

I remember being upset when we ‘traded’ (gave away) Ribs to Dallas. I saw the insane talent and wanted him to develop here. Some guys need a few trades to wake them up to the fact it’s a team game and ‘chemistry’ counts. (not sure Ribeiro figured that out) Anyway, Seguin needs to grow up but may not be motivated to, I know some 20 year olds like that. Such a waste of talent.

“a cannonading drive”

• SmartDog says:

Absolutely true. I agree the Habs trade away talent, basically for being young and a bit stupid. Something most people are for awhile. But when the Bruins are sick of you…. I’m thinking that’s a special accomplishment. He may still sort it out and be great though. I think part of the reason for this trade is they don’t need him. They are so strong at center now and solid as a team that team balance is more important than this guy.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

For the fans of NHL scraps, hockeyfights.com is having end of year voting, figured a few people here may be interested.

72. habsfanforever7631 says:

1992, sourses tellin you anything, MB doing anything, I’m bored.

73. on2ndthought says:

above

• SmartDog says:

Play him against teams you want to lose to. White’s always good for a bad penalty to turn the game around (against you).

This is why we have Parros. If Parros takes a penalty, it’s likely to be worth it. White is a fly.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!