Duffy, Leblanc shine as curtain falls on Habs development camp

duffy

Ben Duffy opened more than a few eyes at the Canadiens camp this past week.
Courtesy Charlottetown Guardian

The Canadiens’ five-day development camp ended Sunday with an intrasquad game, and P.E.I. Rocket forward Ben Duffy made the trip to Brossard an interesting one, to say the least.

Duffy, the Rocket’s all-time leading scorer, said he hopes that his performance over the past week earns him another chance to prove himself at the Canadiens rookie camp in September, but he has a backup plan. If he doesn’t land a pro contract, he’ll take advantage of the QMJHL scholarship plan and play for the University of New Brunswick, a perennial power in Canadian university hockey.

Louis Leblanc, meanwhile, was looking much more forward than behind.

More on the camp by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey is here. A little more on Duffy from May, from the Charlottetown Guardian, is here.

And here’s a fine gallery of camp photos taken by Gazette shooter John Kenney.

1. on2ndthought says:

On the PK character issue. I’ve always found his attitude to be flamboyant and competitive, not a selfish attitude of player before team. I felt the whine by guys on other teams to be just that, hello Mike Richards! However, it is possible that mgmt; who are paid to know, saw something that needs to be addressed.

We old guys know that most young kids will grow out of their ‘me first’ phase. Sometimes, though, we are responsible for encouraging said growth. Mac Bennett mentioned how one of the seminars given at the development camp was about handling your public image. Was Tyler Seguin offered the same advice? Part of the character that mgmt expect from our players is the responsibility of mgmt to develop (just like hockey skills). Perhaps MB and MT have seemed harsh on PK because:
    1. he, like all youngsters, needs positive direction
    2. his character is strong enough that making an example of him will only make him, and the rest of the young men under their tutelage, stronger.

No good guy, no bad guy; just a thought.

“a cannonading drive”

2. CDH says:

Who the hell is Nick Tarnasky?

3. HabFanSince72 says:

How about Damien Brunner? Had his ups and downs as a rookie but still managed the equivalent of a 21 goal season, and actually led the Wings in goals scored in the playoffs.

He’s apparently looking for $3-$3.5M for 3-5 years.

It might imply trading a forward, but we really have no rookie wingers ready to play in the NHL.

And to save you the trouble of looking it up, he’s 5’11”.

Does 5’11” qualify as a smurf free height? He is a nice player, Detroit wanted to sign him, but didn’t like the money and term he was asking for.

• Phil C says:

Great production for his first year in the NHL, you have to think he will improve now that he knows the league better.

But I think the Habs are set on RW. He’s not really a replacement for Gionta as he can’t play the tough minutes, he is not an upgrade on Gallagher, Briere has just signed, and he is not a 4th liner, so I don’t think he fits.

I would rather see them use the remaining cap dollars on a top four defenseman, ideally with some size to play with either Subban or Markov. Someone who would complement these players well while being able to handle the minutes.

• JF says:

If he’s that good, why isn’t Detroit keeping him? A bit of a red flag there…

• Fransaskois says:

Thomas and Leblanc are both “NHL-ready.” They won’t be great but this is their year to see time in the NHL.

4. Ozmodiar says:

Has DD been traded yet?

I love reading the comments section for this article.

• HardHabits says:

I’d say a pox on Gainey but the poor man has already suffered enough.

It will still take years to undo the damage the Gainey/Gauthier regime foisted upon us.

• Sam Boni says:

Since Habs Insideout was in existence in 2009, shouldn’t the posters who post the same things again and again share some of the blame for not speaking out against trading McDonough wherever he was going to be sent?

• Ozmodiar says:

There’s a trade. The Habs land Scott Gomez for a prospect and spare parts, and everyone at HiO says “How wonderful, we finally have a big name center!”, and the Zen master says “We’ll see.”.

2 years later Gomez goes from bad to worse in a season that sees the Habs finish 15th in the conference, and everyone at HiO says “How terrible, at this rate we’re never going to compete!”, and the Zen master says “We’ll see.”

The draft arrives and the Habs finally find themselves atop the draft board and pick Alex Galchenyuk, and everyone at HiO says “How wonderful, I looks like we have a superstar on our hands”, and the Zen master says …

6. Fransaskois says:

Alright, I think we’re ready to trade a center. We’ve got potentially more than 5 centers (Galchenyuk, Briere, Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, / Dumont, Bournival, Leblanc, St.Pierre, Duffy) to play in three top-9 spots. Let’s get our #1Centre (Galchenyuk) or #1Defenceman (Subban) someone to play with, I think we should build our team around them and cut the Plek/Markov/Gionta cord.

Make something happen, MB. What a boring couple of days after the “Frenzy”.

7. Maritime Ron says:

Here’s hoping that Pat Burns gets into the HHoF in the Builders category today…

8. Sam Boni says:

Jeff Woywitka is a free agent, and in reflecting back on the 15th place finish two years ago, it’s clear now how thin the line-up of defencemen were then, and is currently again in a tenuous state. Losing Woywitka on waivers unfortunately had an impact that season. Frederic St. Denis had several call-ups that year. Tomas Kaberle was acquired. The warning signs that last year could have resulted in a miss of the playoffs was the signing of Mike Commodore. Commodore is currently in the news for his twitter by-play with young Beaulieu, who may or may not further sully his image. Last year, the defence looked vulnerable, and it ultimately was the weakest link in a meek playoff appearance. The Leafs addressed their weakness on defence last season, left Jake Gardiner on the farm (he did suffer a concussion during the lockout), and picked up Mike Kostka, a 6’2″ dude, and Mark Fraser, who stands 6’4″. The credit for these two pick-ups goes to Brian the Scowl. The Leafs made the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons, and their fifth place finish was only 2 or 3 points behind the stumbling Habs. If the Habs could pick up similar dudes as the Scowl did last off-season, then Mark My Words will be able to silence his many detractors who are at the Stampede.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Good points Sam, and morning to you sir.

• Luke says:

I’m not sure as I’d go as far as saying that:
      “Losing Woywitka on waivers unfortunately had an impact that season.”

I think I’d say that the lack of depth at defense had an impact. I wouldn’t attribute it to Woywitka at all.
      He is not impactful beyond occupying a roster spot. If the defense stays healthy, he’s a scratch, if not he fills in and you hope his play remains safe and at best average.
      He has been replaced on this team with Drewiskie.

As for the Leafs Kostka: They’ve already cut him loose. He’s been replaced by TJ Brennan. He, like Drewiskie, Brennan and Woywitka are depth players that all teams have, and that all teams pass around. Interchangeable parts that are required to keep you NHL roster at the required 23 and to populate your AHL roster.
      They bounce around the NHL and minor-pro leagues, chip in on occasion at the top level, but mostly earn a handsome living as a journeyman hockey player.

The Habs (or any team’s) success will not be based on the presence or absence of the Woywitka/Kostka/Drewiskie/Brennan’s.

Edit: I’m not saying adding Woywitka is a bad idea, I’m saying it’s cheap depth and not a specific player that is important. I’d actually look at Fistric for more $ before I added a Woywitka.

• Sam Boni says:

MB is of course mindful of what his budget will be in the very near future (P.K. 8.5 mill), so in a “budget-impact” sense, the budget-friendly guys (Brian Bickell) can have a major influence on any team’s current chance of success. I understand what you’re saying and agree.

• Luke says:

Absolutely.
          Though you need budget friendly 40pt $700K Brian Bickell, not cap eating 40pt, $4million , Brian Bickell.

It’s the production out of guys at the end of the entry level deals (and ‘bridge contracts’) that will be most important as far as future team building goes, I think.

9. punkster says:

Has our resident hockeyyinsiderr made any CONFIRMED signing or trade statements yet today?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Ron says:

I believe his mommy has him in daycare till after lunch time. Most likely hear some great stuff after he talks to his sources after nap time at daycare.

10. wjc says:

What is the point of sports?

I was told and believed it built ‘character’, sportsmanship etc.
    I see anger, hatred, seething, and mocking mostly, however.

An example, I will use, is the Leafs and there 5-4 loss after winning 4-1 with ten minutes to go.

That video of the jubilation when they went up 3-1, and then 4-1 and then the despair when they slowly saw Boston comeback and win in overtime. They went from high five’s to sadness.

Now the reaction, did you feel compassion for their pain or did you laugh ‘mockingly’…..this was the test of YOUR character.

Did you pass or fail?
    wjc

• Mustang says:

As a Habs fan, this is a very difficult question to answer since this game was being played by the two teams I dislike (I don’t want to use the word hate) the most in the NHL. I didn’t laugh but rather I felt that this was a typical Toronto meltdown. What drove me mad was the fact that Don Cherry was going to be crowing no matter who won as these are his favorite teams.

• wjc says:

Don Cherry can have favorite teams, he is a Canadian after all. You have a choice, too not watch him, and I support that right as well.

There is no such thing as a ‘typical’ meltdown in my opinion. It happens in all sports to all teams and one time or another.

Thank goodness ‘Toronto’ is there a wonderful city, just like Montreal, that have rival ‘hockey teams’. They paint their faces, wear their colors, get nuts when they win, and lament when they lose. Talk hockey 7/24. Just like the Canadiens hockey fans do.

They/we are the same, exactly. Some are overbearing in victory, just like Canadiens fans. Think about what they had to endure as fans watching Montreal have all that success.

Just people being people, I suppose.

wjc

• H IO Bot says:

“and I support that right as well.”

Who cares?

• Mustang says:

Never overlook the fact that this is a business, not a sport, to those people directly involved. The fans care a lot more about their “TEAM” than the people directly involved with the organization do because we base our loyalty on the sport, not the business. I am a Habs fan and have been all my life but a player, coach, or manager, will change his tune (many have no choice is they want to remain employed) very quickly.

• habstrinifan says:

I laughed mockingly. Still laughing mockingly. And when Boston had the reverse done to them in Game 6 I laughed mockingly again.

Character! I dont need no stinkeeen character! I have the Internet. I can be and am a A-HOLE… on the Internet.

Which is why I live like a hobbit. I dont even go out for groceries anymore. People out there want you to have character. At my age all I want to have is a good MRI.

Character… I dont need no stinkeeeeen charcater. I have the Internet baby!!!!

• Mustang says:

I just paid $650 for an MRI of my spine since Quebec Medicare cannot seem to be able to afford to have one done (I waited months an months) even if I paid Quebec taxes all my life. Sorry, I am getting off of my soapbox now.

• Sam Boni says:

Charles Ponzi should have run for public office but unfortunate for this 1920’s guy, technology wasn’t there yet to allow taxation to be the biggest Ponzi scheme going, which created Canada’s pseudo-famous people like Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Adrienne Clarkson, Lise Gauthier, Jean Chretien’s partners in the golf resort, and live, from New York the Brian and Karlheinz Show.

• Rugger says:

It is no better (probably worse) down here in usa. My wife has severe back & leg pain. Insurance has rejected MRI 3 times (still fighting it) and we pay $1350/mo in premiums. If we pay for MRI privately, it will run in the $1000’s. There answer – try more physical therapy.

• Luke says:

What is the purpose of Sport? or What is the purpose of professional Sports?

Two different entities…
      Sport on the playground builds your character. Adding in the Profession strips the character away…

11. wjc says:

More questions then answers:

Who is ‘Renaud Lavoie’?
    Why would Luongo sit out the year and forfeit 6 million dollars?
    He will stay in Vancouver and get his big money every month, do ya think?
    There is no ‘ideal’ dream team that is reasonably priced?
    The players you may want are all locked up.

Price’s season just keeps getting worse and worse and he isn’t even playing right now.

Oh well, sigh!
    wjc

Sounds like BGL is going to actually run in a by-election for the Green Party.

Morning eveyone, now that the big UFA’s have signed, I kind of expected more teams to get involved in some “cap Management” trades/tweaks.

Also, have all the big spenders spent already, will Dustin Penner end up signing a reasonable contract somewhere?

• Maritime Ron says:

@ burli

Strategy time now.
      Several rosters are near full capacity – or will be once they sign their RFAs.

Teams are now looking and trying hard to convince that supposed 13th-14th depth forward to take a 2 way contract or a contract that was half of their dollar expectation.
      Same goes with the 7-8 Dman…

It ends up being a game of chicken that could last until just before training camp…or during training camp when injuries occur.

One thng is certain. There will not be many Cap Dollars left when the RFAs are eventually signed.

At the moment 14 teams have less than $6M of official Cap Space and 19 teams have less than $8M Cap space.

Even some that show more Cap Space for the moment really have little if any leftleft.
      Ex: Leafs have $10M, yet need to sign RFA forwards Kadri and Colborne along with RFA Dmen Gunnerson-Franson-Fraser.
      Good bye Cap Space.

Agree, which is why I anticipate a little more trading than usual. Also there is a high likelyhood that some good players will be available through the waiver wire as the season approaches. Unfortunately, we don’t have an early claim in the waiver process this season.

14. Tom says:

Ladies and Germs,

Just a quick and friendly question from the rookie.

What would your “reasonably priced dream team” look like?

15. HabFanSince72 says:

According to Renaud Lavoie, Roberto Luongo doesn’t want to play for Vancouver. But Vancouver can’t trade him because of his contract (and besides – they have no one else).

Luongo’s only option is to pull a Timmy Thomas. A costly option. He is due $6.7M this year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The city of Vancouver might not like it but the rest of the country would probably support Luongo if he told the Canucks to piss off. He’s been raked over the coals and treated like garbage by the fans, media and the organization.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Would the rest of the country pony up the $6.7M?

• Habfan17 says:

If I were him, I would sit out and demand a trade. Can Vancouver loan him to a European team? Is that still an option? Would that burn a year off of his contract? Then they can sign Thomas for a year and look at buying Luongo out next season or trying to trade him again.

• ont fan says:

I don’t know. Doing a job in a city where you really don’t want to live but the money is so darned good. That could be real life.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with you re Luongo’s ‘like’ factor in Vancouver… which is why I make teeeny weensy little joke. Luongo may sit out.. Canucks fan buy him sofa.

While I dont blame Luongo, I think only people want Luongo to stay in Vanc. are the team management… to save their bacon.

Wonder if any GM will take advantage.. trade for Luongo’s cap hit but get back real real good players for their team… maybe I make a teeeny weensy little joke here too…. he he he.

• Habfan17 says:

Serves Gillis right! He has mishandled this from the start. If I were Luongo, I would not want to be there either. Gillis should be fired!! What was he thinking? I smell a trade! Trade him to a team and retain part of his salary, then that team can use a compliance buyout. I am not sure if that would circumvent the CBA. But if Vancouver was retaining half the salary, maybe something could be worked out, although Gillis will probably have to throw a decent player in the deal too.

Habfan17

• HabFanSince72 says:

Mishandled? The Canucks have committed to pay him $90M over his entire hockey career.

• Maritime Ron says:

Unfortunately, the buyout period was over on July 4th.
        They would have to wait until next June 15th to be able to exercise that
        So unless Luongo retires, he plays somewhere this year for a cool $6,714,000 – to add to his already +$56,000,000 career earnings

Gillis has not handled the situation well at all, he overplayed his hand last off season when Burke was willing to take that contract but Gillis wanted more live bodies back in return.

Having said all that, Luongo signed a contract which was clearly designed to circumvent the cap, particularly with the final years of his contract dropping off. I feel sorry for neither party, perhaps they deserve each other.

16. Mattyleg says:

Went to bed at 11, woke up at 4.

Why?
    Anyone’s guess is as good as mine.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. 25insight says:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
    Bourque-Desharnais-Briere
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
    Prust-White-Parros (the nosebleed line)

Subban-Gorges
    Markov-Diaz
    Bouillon-Tinordi

Price
    Budaj

Thoughts?

• Fransaskois says:

The defence is horrid unless Tinordi has become a solid NHL-dman over the summer, really missing Emelin. That Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher line needs to keep building on last year’s performance to be useful. I like separating Desharnais and Pacioretty, it’s time for a change.

Overall: It’ll be an exciting team to watch but, I don’t see playoff success and there are too many holes and question marks for me to confidently say it will be a successful team. We NEED another top-4 defenceman. At the same time, if we can avoid the injury bug and Price stands on his head every night, this could be a very good regular season team if the right players step-up.

• Forum Dog says:

Agreed. D is definitely a weakness. I can’t believe that MB plans to go into next season with that group. Time to flip Gorges or a forward for someone bigger and meaner.

FW lines might look good as:

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Briere
        Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gionta
        Prust – Eller – Gallagher
        Bourque/Moen – White – Parros

• Tom says:

Drewiske? Parros? I like the top 9 lines, but I’m hoping that Bergevin can pull off a trade of some description where the bottom 6 defence pairing is upgraded. Schultz out of Washington would be nice.

• Fransaskois says:

Schultz is off the market. Fistric is still available though.

• Tom says:

serves me right for being a noob. Do you reckon he’d be a good fit?

• Fransaskois says:

Fistric would be a good #5/#6 in the Emelin mould. Not as good offensively but would fill the crease-clearing, big-hitting void we have. He’s quite sound defensively but isn’t very quick. 27yrs old, 6’2, 233lbs. He could use some conditioning as he hasn’t been as effective in the last year (at his current weight).

Or, a similar player to Fistric would be Doug Murray. Same style, older, slower, heavier.

• piper says:

I think Fistric would be the better choice and probably way cheaper.

• Marc10 says:

I think Eller has earned some prime time… Let’s see what he does with it.

Pacioretty-Eller-Briere
      Bourque-Pleks-Gio
      Prust-Chucky-Gally
      White-DD-Moen (Dumont/Parros)

PK-Markov
      Tinordi-Diaz
      Bouillon-Gorges
      Beaulieu/Pateryn

Beaulieu/Pateryn is on deck to replace Gorges. Josh doesn’t come to the party and he’s on waivers… Simple as that.

DD is in the same boat. He needs to fight it out with Dumont to earn his spot and he’s on deck (along with Dumont should someone falter further up the food chain…)

• habstrinifan says:

Of all the line combinations up front(involving only our current team) this is the line up I like the best.

• on2ndthought says:

I like Tinordi with Diaz. IF MT is ready to give Chuk a shot at center, this could be his line-up, just switch DD and Eller (but I like your line-up more)

“a cannonading drive”

18. Marc10 says:

Thoughts on PK. Although I thought locking him up for 8 years was the way to go, HanSolo does make a good case for not making an exception with him on his bridge contract as ‘team chemistry wise’ signing him to big bucks long term might have damaged the team vibe.

Exceptions are for guys like Crosby (franchise player on the ice and in the room…) PK was close. He’s there now.

• Fransaskois says:

I think that’s what Bergevin was thinking as well. It’s turned out well, Subban seems to be handling himself quite well on the ice and off of it. Perhaps next year he’ll take the steps towards becoming a leader, he’s been a captain in the past and he seems to have the personality for it.

If PK has changed for the better, I’m willing to change the room before I’m willing to change/lose PK. With Markov’s and Gionta’s contracts expiring, PKs attitude change and bringing in Briere (has held a captainship, good leader), I’m sure we’ll be seeing a more PK-friendly atmosphere in the dressing room.

• habstrinifan says:

“Clearly he wasn’t beloved in the room. You don’t reward that behaviour. In the end, both parties got what they wanted and no bad precedent was set… That was the price to pay I guess.”

Now this is more like what happened and the rumoured dynamics at the time were more in keeping with this.

Which is why the comparison to the Anderson situation was invalid. So if you believe YOUR post I dont see how that post made a ‘good case’.

19. SmartDog says:

I would love to hear that Shanahan’s crappy job as league disciplinarian keeps him out of HOF consideration.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

20. chesterfiled says:

How do you upload small cartoons? I pictured the Hab smurfs always upsetting the Bruins’ ‘Gargamel’ and ROC/TSN ‘Azriel’ to penalty, thereby scoring on powerplay.
    The setup is cute but is meant to be an eff u to all posters who complain about Mtl’s size and language issues.
    Poetic problem is Markov(?) 2x knee + Achilles tendon cut, Wiz non renewal leads to top 5 PP to bottom 5 but top 5 PK the followins season!? 1/2 season last year and the team finishes 2nd over all, winning last 3 games after sweaty loss streaks that have portions of fan base doubting the sportive validity at the end.
    My bs is that it was tactical issues that deflated CH for loss to senators. Balance in size less than an issue than with coaching adapting to opponents.
    If you can’t spend on players, spend on the forward and d coaches if this does not pan out.
    Head coach, what are you going to do? Therrien will fire himself/coach a cup win.
    Nobody asked but I was giving MB B+ grades for style(good hair, could be A+ IF he had a proper tailor), A for communication/transparency even with irritating catch-phrase concepts like ‘Character’ and ‘accountability’, b+ for drafting on the same lines of Gainey and Gauthier… all 3 get the A+ if the cup is won in ’14!
    C- for contrived sticks in the air home game finishes, getting rid of low/hi 5’s between #1 goalie and soon to be #1 d, the the imbecilic rule ‘nobody step on logo in the middle of change room’
    A+ for for assigning #11 and #27 permanent roles on team in spite of lack of nhl experience. Kk coach merits grade for managing ice time.
    DD got what he deserves- pay, line mates, icetime…
    This season is new GM’s shackle free year
    Argh, effing nhl! Looking forward to possible nordique return in the next decade to satisfy my idiotic family… and eff u to xinlaws;) who think it was cute to attract my sons to cheer for o senators

• wjc says:

Wat a b of BB. nd to be more cl.

Translation: What a bloody bunch of babble. You need to be more clear.

Accountabliity and character are ‘catch phrases’.

You have kids? You have an ‘idiotic’ family, ex inlaws, I can see why.

wjc

21. Sportfan says:

WHo is the NHLs equivalent of Buck Pierce and Drew Tate? Basically who gets wounded when a gust of wind blows by :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• vivsterjuve88 says:

taylor hall is headed that way, a year ago i would’ve said markov or mike green or crosby (especially like buck pierce with the concussion string), gaborik’s been good the past few seasons but used to be a big bandaid, but the title has to go to Rick DiPietro, no ifs ands or buts… It’s not even so much recurring injuries, he just breaks everything.

22. Sportfan says:

I thought the Edler possibilities were over?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

23. Sportfan says:

Any new interesting rumors related to our team going around?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Fransaskois says:

Same old, same old.

E.Kane, Edler, Stewart, Perron, Flyers deal are said to be coming here.

Plekanec, Desharnais are said to be on the block.

The only one that seems to have evolved a little bit is the STL-MTL deal, everything else is pretty stagnant.

24. sirs81 says:

Josh Gorges for Alexander Edler? straight up. Nucks get another 2 mil in cap space with the trade..

What’s the latest on Yammy Yagah?

• Steven says:

I was wondering that myself.

He must be imagining all the dollar bills he’ll be getting when he refuses that Habs offer for the 3rd straight year.

• Habs1st says:

MB is waiting to see if he can pull off the trade with Philly, if he trades Pleks, he won’t sign Jagr! lol (No sources, just my crazy imagination!)

26. habstrinifan says:

Denjen ” were not solid then, in 2000 Rucinsky led the team in scoring with 49 pts followed by Zubrus ”

That was the year I lost my internet virginity and became an Internet a-hole when somebody on a HAB AOL forum was trying to tell me Rucinsky was a great player cause he led the team in scoring.

I dont think I have recaptured my innocence.

27. Haborama says:

Touching down in our nations capital just in time to catch the greatest Canadian band of all time LIVE!!! IT DON’T GET BETTER THAN RUSH BABY!!!!!!!!!!

back to work tomorrow, night all!
    (AND GO HABS GO!)
    My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in TO.

• Habs_4_ever says:

Enjoy the show! Saw them a few times in the 80’s and 90’s. Great band! Moving Pictures is still one of my all time favorite albums.

————————
      “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

28. Bill says:

@Jackal, and apologies to Clay, but at the risk of repeating myself – haha, which I do everyday – yes, Price’s problems last year were the problems of the team defence.

• johnnylarue says:

At their very worst, it looked like this:

Price was as bad as his defensemen, who were as bad as the cockamamie defensive system they were being asked to play.

Shared blame, all the way.

But I also don’t disagree with the folks who say Price is paid to make the rest of those chumps look better when they have an off game, and he didn’t really deliver the goods. Not many goalies would have looked too much better… but a more reflex-reliant/less positional goalie might have stood a better chance under the circumstances.

• Clay says:

No need to apologize Bill – you always disagree with class.
      …well, except that one time, but it wasn’t really aimed at me :D

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

29. The Jackal says:

@Clay.

The majority of the goals scored on Price were from high quality areas. Many backdoor plays and players left alone right in his kitchen. Granted, his play did slump at the end of the season, but so did the play of every other player on the squad. You can’t truly pin the slump or woes on him, it is a team game and the D collapsed, plain and simple. Not to mention our scoring and PP dried up and fired blanks. But nonetheless you blame Price?

Also, the goalie coach was not fired, his contract was not renewed, which is a key difference. MB thought he was not getting the most out of Price and chose to go for someone who can. That does not mean Price blew it or that he was bad, only that he has yet to reach his ceiling and thus we need a coach that can best help him do so.

Now I’m not saying Price is infallible, but saying it is on him shows a personal dislike for Price or a lack of appreciation for all the other relevant factors that sunk the team. Even before the slump, the goals scored against us were the result of D zone collapses. With the loss of Emelin our D was exposed and teams ultimately adjusted to the swarm and exploited it by getting the puck to the open man who was not swarmed, plain and simple. MT did not adjust and the D never recovered. The team’s confidence was deflated and many players made bad mistakes such as bad turnovers.

• habs1992 says:

Price is going to be one of the greatest goalies of all time, he also is going to the habs all time win leader.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

While I hope your undiminished confidence in Carey is warranted, I am far from convinced. His arc of maturation/improvement has been like the European economy.

This is his make-it-or-break-it season. Another season like the last two and the Habs will be looking for a new goalie. I guarantee that.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Timo says:

You said “backdoor plays”.

• The_Truth says:

Nobody is putting anything all on Price, but to ignore his play and say it was just the defense is also not accurate. If all it takes is a good defense to be better in goal, then what do we need Price at 6.5 million for? Might as well take that money and upgrade on D and get a cheaper goalie like Emery, when he was available.

How did Bobrovsky or Reimer do this season, with worse defense than the Habs?

30. Bill says:

@Steven: true, there were quite a few posters who were all for Bergevin refusing to budge. I exaggerated. There were actually quite a few posters who advocated trading Subban at the time … they wouldn’t admit it now, ha. Good point.

• Steven says:

You never really know what’s a good move and what isn’t until it’s too late to do much about it. Revisionism is a fun pass time, though.

Cheers :)

31. Bill says:

@burly: yes, I too am optimistic about Leblanc this year. Can’t judge him by his injury-plagued season. He looked good as a rookie a couple years ago.

32. Bill says:

@johnny larue, arm-chair GMing and coaching is all this site is for. That’s what every post is. So I don’t understood your objection. And what is more in this case is that you are obviously incorrect: the Habs could have saved cap space by locking up PK prior to this season, before he won the Norris. That is not in question.

• Bigdawg says:

No doubt the Habs could have saved capspace but let’s not get carried away here. He might have signed for 5 years for 5.5M or even 5M per year. That is 25M- 27.5M over the five years.

Instead we get him for 2.875X2 years (cap hit) for a total of 5.75 for 2 years and let’s say Letang money for the next three so 7.5 X3. That is a total of 28.25 over 5 years.

So yes signing him early saves us roughly 0.25M-0.65M per year over the five years. HUGE!

• johnnylarue says:

Okay, I friggin’ love PK. I am absolutely stoked to have him on my favourite team.

BUT: PK refused to suit up for his team as a 22 year old, over money. What does this tell us about PK? He knows how good he is. Nothing wrong with that.

Bergevin also knows how good PK is. Did he have certain lingering doubts about his character, or his commitment to the ‘team first’ concept? Maybe. But he also had a really tight budget to work within–the bulk of which was the legacy of the GM who preceded him. He recognized that the next two years would be lean, and that things would open up thereafter with Markov and Gionta’s contracts slated to expire.

So what did he do? He asked PK to “take one for the team”, in order to give the club a better chance at competing for these two seasons, and likely with the promise that coffers would open to him accordingly after his bridge contract.

Give credit to PK: he agreed, swallowed his pride, and the rest is history.

As for savings? Let’s say PK signed for 5 years at 5.5 per at the start of this past season. That’s what, 27.5 million, signed through 2017?

As it stands, MB has saved roughly $2 million per year for this season and next, and assuming PK’s fat man contract nets him $7.5 million per, we’re looking at a (theoretical) total cost of $29.5 million signed through to 2017. (Obviously, the new contract will be longer, but this is just to compare costs over the same term.)

That’s a savings of roughly $2 million over five seasons.

My math is inexact and purely hypothetical, but I’m sure you see my point. It’s splitting hairs.

It just gets my knickers in a twist when I see guys going “Bergevin is an idiot! He should’ve signed PK when he had the chance, blah, blah, blah…” They’re usually the same people who say enlightening stuff like, “Gionta sucks–trade him and pick up Bobby Ryan!”

Which of course, anyone is entitled to say. Just as I am entitled to be bugged by it.

Anyway, for me, J.T. really summed up the PK situation best with this blog post (which is probably where 90% of my half-baked ideas originated!):

33. Bill says:

@hansolo: yeah,I definitely think PK could have been locked up for less long term before this season.

He had two good seasons under his belt and was obviously poised to break out. Every imbecile here saw it coming. He held out because he wanted term, and after two thirty point seasons, I would say eight years at five million per was very doable.

His price is now above Letang’s, meaning at least 7.5 million dollars. I am glad PK is cashing in, don’t get me wrong, but the Habs could sure use that cap space they lost by hard-balling Subban when they clearly should not have.

• ProHabs says:

No kidding. That extra cap space sure would come in handy to sign some more smurfs.

• fastfreddy says:

Right on Bill. PK could have been locked up.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• hansolo says:

No argument, Kirk — sorry, Bill. But I think PK would have had to be paid some time, whether now or later. I think if MB is a competent GM, he knows that. He made a decision using a short time horizon of around 2 -3 years rather than 5 or greater. It was his call as to what time horizon was best based on his knowledge of who would be available and who be off the books in that time. I feel I have to respect that.

• Steven says:

Not gonna argue with you on the “every imbecile here saw it coming” part, but if they did, many of those imbeciles were also patting MB on the back for “not blinking”.

Sadly, in the end(and this is in no way directed at you, Bill), hindsight is 20/20. Had Subban been good, but not great, we’d all be saying how smart MB was to bridge him, you and I included. It only looks bad now that he won the Norris, which I personally found surprising. The breaking out was to be expected, but a Norris performance was definitely not within my imagination

34. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

The only one’s that won’t get beat around like we did last year is
    Parros, Prust, PK the rest will be like a brawl in a schoolyard. Beat all over the place. You’ll see. Wait til they meet Toronto, Boston, and Philly.

• johnnylarue says:

Paraphrase: “Boy, I really hope the Habs SUCK HARD next season so I can come back on here and be like, TOLD YOU SO, FOOLS!”

Best fan ever?

• ZepFan2 says:

Have you seen PK fight? He needs some boxing lessons.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

35. johnnylarue says:

Happy to see Leblanc end camp on a high note after spending last season in post-injury purgatory.

I for one am rooting for him. He’s a bright kid, seems like a bona fide top notch person, and I think he’s still got it in him to become the ‘Mike Richards Lite’ we’ve been expecting of him.