Drop the puck, already!

Our man Jimmy Murphy, of ESPN-Boston (and a frequent voice on the Team 990), checks in with his mid-July season predictions.

Murph likes the Canadiens for sixth-place in the Eastern Conference.

We’ll take that, right?

He’s got the hometown Bs third – behind the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Murphy also predicts Steven Stamkos will win every trophy in sight.

Tuukka Rask for the Vezina, Tyler Seguin for the Calder and Guy Boucher for the Adams.

A few sleeps, and then we’ll see.

Sláinte! back at you, Murph.

•  •  •

Lou Lamoriello admits crazy Kovalchuk contract shouldn’t be part of NHL

•  •  •

Jamie Langenbrunner says he’s stoked about Kovy II … and will be until he’s traded.

•  •  •

David Perron – aka the guy the Canadiens should have drafted instead of Max-Pac – is on Facebook.

•  •  •

Cool David Booth video at nhlpa.com

1. Duracell3 says:

Yeah, but Narus used to…

2. JD_ says:

Invoking WWJD, I see no socks.

Case closed.

3. JD_ says:

Ah geez! Me ‘n’ the gang were headed over to Pop Tate’s for a malt, whatever the eff a malt is.

4. punkster says:

Python recognized the importance of sandals through time.

FREE TIMO!

5. twocents says:

Yeah!… and when are you bringing the convertible back?

6. punkster says:

Exactly what I wore for my first wedding. The horror, the horror.

FREE TIMO!

7. JD_ says:

Dad? Is that you?

8. The Capitalist Pig says:

Ouch, powder blue. Of all colors to bring up! We wore powder blue tuxes with ruffled shirts in our high school graduation pictures. How the hell did the Irish Christian Brothers let that happen?

9. twocents says:

Nothing wrong with a pair of wool works socks in open backed sandals early in the morning in late August through September. Mornings can be cool, but you know things will warm up. The sandals are easier and more comfy to put on than shoes. It provides full flexibility in foot comfort. Perfectly acceptable around the yard or going to the corner store. In fact just about anywhere, under the above conditions, in most non urban areas.

When camping, the combo is essential. Though here you want back straps on your sandals.

Dress socks in sandals are ridiculous. Dress socks in sandals, in downtown Montreal are beyond ridiculous.

10. punkster says:

Hey, bell bottoms came back a couple of years ago and I suddenley find myself ahead of the curve for the first time in my life. Don’t count out powder blue polyester 3 piece just yet!

FREE TIMO!

11. Bugs says:

That’s not his ball.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

12. The Capitalist Pig says:

It’s time to give those leisure suits in your closet a spin!

13. Say Ash says:

In similar fashion, I reject the Gomez contract.

14. punkster says:

You’re such a fashionista Brian. Truth be told I haven’t worn sandals since 1971. Platform shoes came in and I fell for them, literally.

FREE TIMO!

15. Omit says:

How can you have been there when you don’t even know why Imlach started the game with 5 d-men?  And you had no chance of even getting within 100 feet of Imlach.  More revisionist history by a pathetic little boy/man.

Please  stop embarrassing yourself!

16. punkster says:

No, same guy. As well as poster “Tell it like it is”. Sybil has as many aliases as old Sam Clemens.

FREE TIMO!

17. K-hab25 says:

I didn’t say you were a rabbit, I said you were a rodent. By the way until recently rabbits were considered rodents. You, are definitely a rodent, no doubt about it, I’m disgusted when I see you and wish that you’d just go away. Maybe you should read something, if you could stop patting yourself on the back for a second you conceited douche.

18. The Capitalist Pig says:

Unless of course, you are a Brit. Then it is perfectly fine to wear black dress socks in sandals.

19. TorontoHabsFan says:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Kovalchuk takes his ball and goes home to the KHL after this…

20. The Capitalist Pig says:

“hmrph murph murph murph”

21. Omit says:

More revisionist history!  Imlach played 5 d-men because the forwards were playing badly and he wanted to show them up.  I guess you weren’t at that game either.

22. The Teacher says:

Based on the numbers per year, I was surprised it was accepted. It looked like in one of the last five years, the following years salary was not at least 50% of the previous year’s so….

23. Bill J says:

Ian_Cushenan & callyjo are BOTH Tony242 IMHO.

they speak the same “language” so to speak, all 3 similar writing styles.

All the same broken record.

and they agree with each other to boot.

24. The Teacher says:

Same here, lol. Another burst of snorts again.

25. TripleX says:

From CapGeek Twitter:

CBA 26.3: No club may enter into any SPC if it is intended to or has the effect of defeating or circumventing the provisions of the CBA.

26. pmaraw says:

Here’s something I think everyone can get a laugh out of

27. Bob Barker says:

Since when are Luongo, Zetterberg and Hossa on the cap even if they retire? I know Pronger’s contract is because he signed it the summer he turned 35. My understanding is that if the contract is signed before the player is 35 years of age, the cap hit comes off the books if demoted or if the player retires.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

The “I’m Lou Effin’ Lamoriello” Clause, I like it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Some days, it is worth logging in to just read what Bugs has to say.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. JD_ says:

Still laughing.

31. TripleX says:

Lou helped draft the new CBA so maybe OLD LOU left a backdoor that only he knew about.  Waiting for this moment to spring it.  xD

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

32. punkster says:

Thank God someone has the guts to say it. Socks in sandals indeed!

FREE TIMO!

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Since I don’t know the CBA I couldn’t speculate, possible the NHL has the right to review all contracts that go over a certain age with players and decide whether or not they’re really valid. Could be 2 or 3 other loopholes that contradict this one, we’ll find out soon enough I guess.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. Bugs says:

It’s not “beyond ridiculous”: it’s “approaching ridiculous”. Gordie Howe played until he was…79, I think. It can be done.

No, “beyond ridiculous” is wearing socks in sandals.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

35. punkster says:

It’s all a giant plot engineered by PG and BG to cover up the absurd Price contract they’re about to announce. (Someone here’s bound to run with that)

FREE TIMO!

36. SeriousFan09 says:

If Kovalchuk was on the cap regardless of retirement age like Luongo, Zetterberg and Hossa have their contracts this wouldn’t even come up but because LL tried to be a bit too clever and engineer the removal of the contract from the cap the second Kovalchuk retires is what probably did it. Lou trying to beat the over-35 rule is probably what had Bettman’s phone ringing off the hook from NHL owners and GMs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. TripleX says:

If there is a legal loophole in the CBA how does that allow the NHL to invalidate it?  Unless the CBA strictly prohibits the length of a contract and how much is front loaded, I don’t see how it is within their power to do it.

ps apparently one of Bettman’s reasons is that he calls it a “retirement contract” but unless it is written down that Kovy intends to retire before the contract ends how does he prove it

38. Bugs says:

You see? I was right.

They shoulda stopped at 16 years.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

39. SeriousFan09 says:

I think what killed it was when Lou had the escape clause built in to avoid the over-35 part of the CBA and keep Kovalchuk off the cap the second he retires. DET and company all have to eat the length of the deals on their salary cap as long as their guys are playing, NJ gets to skate away from the Kovalchuk deal the second he retires with no remaining hit on their cap.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. JasonM says:

About time they stood against this. A contract until he’s 44 years old? That’s beyond ridiculous.

41. TripleX says:

I am not a lawyer but it seems that legal precedence has already been set on these types of contracts.  Big Lou is not a guy to be angered and he was on the team that drafted the new CBA.  Kind of ironic.

42. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya, guess they figured it’s time to draw a line in the sand and start the battle now.  man I hope there isn’t another lockout .

43. Malreg says:

Well, there’s nothing really in the same ballpark as this deal.  The closest is Hossa’s.  Hossa’s deal drops to $1 million for the last 4 years of the deal.  Kovy’s deal drops to $550k, the league minimum, for the last 5 years!  Of course Hossa is a few years older, but Kovy’s deal is 5 years longer.

44. JD_ says:

Didn’t think Bettman & Co. had the balls.

Come to think of it, it all makes sense. Lou Lamoriello’s son Tim is a senior staff attorney with the Devils. Lou kinda came out today and sorta kinda dumped on the deal just a bit. You just know this is going to end up gettin’ dragged through the courts. Lou’s just paddin’ his boy’s billable hours assuming, of course, he’s not on salary.

JD gettin’ the jump on the loon brigade.

45. arcosenate says:

That’s nuts!! Do you think we can get them to reject our 1980’s and 90’s draft picks?

46. HabFab says:

Not sure but yesterday Tony (callyjo) claimed Ian N was a “Tony wanna be”.

Whatever the H that means!

47. punkster says:

I’m gettin’ all misty eyed here. Dave Keon (sigh). The most outrageous Price/Halak discussion here never came close to the emotion of that series for me.

FREE TIMO!

48. Rugger says:

Very surpised since they turned a blind eye to similar contracts, not that consistancy has ever been a problem for the NHL brass.

49. pmaraw says:

he did trade to improve.

50. Omit says:

So you are admitting that you don’t win your one dollar bets.  I’m not surprised. I’ve read your posts and your ignorance of hockey comes through with every word you type. You have the big L plastered on your forehead for all to see.

And putting words in people’s mouths is another sign of your ignorance. I only wish there was a way to make a bet and a guarantee to collect with someone like you.  Talk about an easy way to make money.

Btw, are you Kilroy?

51. HabFab says:

Now you have him agreeing with you, uhhh!!!

Be afraid!

52. SmartDog says:

That’s what Chez Paris and Schwartz’s will do to a man.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

53. pmaraw says:

I thought that Ian guy was Tony….

edit:  not Mr. Cobb

54. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wow!  guess the Kovy contract was the straw that broke the camels back and the NHL brass said enough’s enough.  This could get interesting if the players union get’s involved.  Me thinks we won’t have to wait for the end of the CBA for bad blood to start between the PA and the NHL.

55. JD_ says:

Wow.

To quote everyone’s favourite trailer park supervisor, Jim Lahey, there’s a s***-typhoon on the way.