Drewiske out five to six months following shoulder surgery

Drewiske new upload

(File photo: John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens’ defenceman Davis Drewiske is expected to be out five to six months after undergoing shoulder surgery, the team announced Wednesday.

Dr. Paul Martineau, the Canadiens’ head orthopedic surgeon, performed the surgery Wednesday morning at a Montreal hospital.

Drewiske injured his shoulder on Sept. 18 during training camp and was initially expected to be sidelined for at least a month.

The Habs acquired the 28-year-old, 6-foot-2 Wisconsin native from the Los Angeles Kings in early April and signed him to a two-year contract extension in June. He played nine games for the Canadiens in April and was a healthy scratch during the playoffs.

In other injury news, forward Max Pacioretty went for medical tests on Wednesday after suffering a lower-body injury during the Canadiens’ 3-0 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday. The team said it hopes to have more details and provide an update on Thursday.

The Canadiens didn’t practice on Wednesday after arriving back early in the morning from Winnipeg. The Habs face the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-Habs, TSN 690 Radio)

1. frontenac1 says:

@timo. Red,Blue,Orange,Green.Whats the diff? Man,I wish The Rhinos were still around.Saludos!!

2. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Lu is reporting that if Bourque is out (flu), Beaulieau is in as a forward…

3. Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Was at the Habs v. Jets game on Wednesday, tons of fun but after MaxPac went down it was always on my mind.

Question, who is more likely to step up to fill the void (where ever they line up):

Briere
    Desharnais
    Bourque
    Prust

Personally I want to see Bournival get a serious crack. He was dynamite in camp, and a situation like this is better suited to a young guy with a lot of hunger then a vet free agent no one wanted in the 1st place.

Gallchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher (offense)
    Bourque-Plek-Gio (shut down)
    Prust-Briere-Bournival (offense#2)
    Moen-Desharnai/White-Parros (shutdown #2)

———————————————————————————-
    “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

4. frontenac1 says:

I like Dumont. He plays bigger than his size and is not afraid to drop his mitts against bigger guys,usually with good results.

5. TommyB says:

Wow, some of you guys are already talking about who should be picked up from whatever scrap heap as a replacement for Pacioretty. Certainly a little premature, and even if Max is out for an extended period of time, if this team can’t survive a little adversity by plugging a hole from within the organization then they are in big trouble. Take a deep breath, amigos.

6. Un Canadien errant says:

Not feeling a groundswell of support for my Simon Gagné idea.

I guess I’m trying to go back to 1998 and correct the mistake we made, by not drafting him and grabbing his centre Éric Chouinard instead.

If only I had 1.21 gigawatts of electricity…

7. twilighthours says:

Does anyone have any real information to even remotely lead us to believe that it’s a knee ligament with Pacioretty?

• Un Canadien errant says:

There’s a tweet from a TVA guy lower down I think. I’m dubious, he was grabbing the back of his leg and was in pain. A popped ACL doesn’t feel that painful, and he would have been grabbing his knee.

• mksness says:

i tore my acl…. it’s very painful. i think it might be more of a mcl thing which i also tore and it’s not as painful.

if it were acl they would have released that info by now. physical tests can show a complete tear and very few people partially tear an acl

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. I had a 2nd degree tear of my MCL, incurred while snowboarding, and rode down on it, pretty much straight to the hospital. The knee didn’t feel painful, just loose and wonky.

• twilighthours says:

I torn my ACL and it was one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced. That said, the motion of his legs didn’t make it look like ACL.

But I’m no Recchi.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought that popping your ACL isn’t that painful, relatively, but if you have cartilage or other damge, that hurts, and swells up real nice. I will bow to your life experience, you both.

8. Mattyleg says:

From the current NHL Free Agent list, I picked out the only ones that looked interesting as a LW pick-up should we need it:

- Alexei Ponikarovski
    - Steve Sullivan
    and
    - Wojtek Wolski

Those three would interest me far more than Gagne.
    I know they all have issues (Sullivan perhaps least, and Ponikarovski most) but they are all good players who are available.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Phil C says:

Latendresse? Gagne? Cripes, its only October and we are already picking over the trash heap.

I’ll play. What’s Vinny Prospal doing these days?

10. habfaninottawa says:

I’d like to see Dumont get the call. I liked what I saw of him last year. He brought a lot of energy and speed, with a little grit.

11. frontenac1 says:

LL? I was excited and had high hopes for the Kid when he was signed. Now, not so much. Starting to smell like a dog body.

12. DipsyDoodler says:

I’m usually a hawk on head shots, and Lappy was my least favourite Hab in recent memory, but I have to say it looked more like bad luck (for Boyle) than a dirty Kaleta-style hit. Lappy tried to make a normal check against the boards and somehow Boyle got turned around.

Not saying he shouldn’t be punished (he hit Boyle in the numbers) but the outcome was unfortunate.

13. naweed235 says:

I’m pretty sure that Leblanc will be the one getting the call when the news comes out that Pacman is out for at least 3 months

Aaah, how I missed the days of 7 D.

What’s Scotty Gomez up to these days?

15. habs-hampton says:

Its kinda funny (not in a humorous way) reading all the speculation about Max. TSN has him “questionable” for tonight, and it goes right on up to a return in March. According to what I read it’s an ACL/MCL sprain/tear, groin pull, charleyhorse, etc. And most of the speculation is based on someone seeing him in a MRI clinic yesterday.

It will be interesting to see what it really is. Hopefully its a bruise…

16. savethepuck says:

Safe to say Max is not playing tonight no matter what news we get later today. Bourque with the flu means we are missing 2 LW’s. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that leaves us very short on LW’s, I am seeing Chucky, Bournival, Moen and/or Prust? When mentioning possible call ups, LL’s name is coming up, but has he ever played anything other than C or RW?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

17. Habitforming says:

Nathan Beaulieu playing forward tonight sigh

• Cardiac says:

Big deal. Unless he gets a lot of PP action, he’ll probably play less than 10 minutes.

- Jerry Maguire

• Kooch7800 says:

Just saw that and was like WTF. Apparently Bourque is out with the flu.
      So two of our biggest forwards are out tonight and we have a rookie D playing forward…eek

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Bourque may be big but he plays small most nights….wish he’d play up to his capabilities. I listed to Kelly Hrudey on that trade and he said he thought Bourque was the laziest player in the nhl when in Calgary….he sure could be much more effective then he is. I read also he had zero hits in the game in Winnipeg. Noticed also he is a minus player almost every year he has played. What a waste of a 213 lb forward who can skate. Montreal would be wise to dump him if they can down the road…who knows there may be a GM who hasn’t paid attention to Bourque’s history.

• Marcusman says:

I bet it’s only till they call someone up and get them there…my guess is Dumont or Blunden comes up.

• Propwash says:

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 8m
      Therrien says if Bourque can’t go, #Habs will go with seven D

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

18. Un Canadien errant says:

If Max’s injury is that serious, and I suspect it is, since we have heard only official “we’ll make an announcement later” announcements, we lose a major piece for the season, one that can’t be replaced internally. There’s no Mike McPhee or Dave Maley or Benoit Brunet itching for his chance in Hamilton.

So I would be in favour of signing Simon Gagné, a steady veteran leader who can put pucks in the net. He won’t play physically at this point in his career, but he does have some size and can manoeuvre in heavy traffic.

Unless we are indeed jumping on this opportunity to ‘tank through injuries’. In which case we should Gilhooley Lars Eller.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

19. Cardiac says:

So if there is a call-up for tonight’s game, you do you expect to get it? Leblanc, two games into the season, has 0 points and a -1. Holland and St-Pierre each have 2 points and are +3 and +1 respectively.

- Jerry Maguire

@Jim (Habfan10912) – I am still working on the spreadsheet. I am trying to make it an interactive 3D product for you guys/girls. My programming skills are a bit rusty that’s why it takes a bit more time. I should be done by the end of November, no to worry.

21. Danno says:

Is there an update on Max?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Lines and d-pairings in practice today according to RDS…look who’s on the 4th line! (Some of us were speculating about him at forward yesterday. Mind you, it’s just practice but interesting nonetheless.)

Galchenyuk Gallagher-Eller-
    Desharnais-Prust-Brière
    Moen-Plekanec-Gionta
    Beaulieu Bournival-White

Markov, Subban
    , Tinordi Bouillon
    Diaz Gorges

23. Propwash says:

Just a compilation of Emelin doing what he does best, turning opposing players innards into goo.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. John Q Public says:

Bourque out – flu

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
    Moen-Plekanec-Gionta
    Prust-Desharnais-Briere
    Beaulieu-Bournival-White

25. shiram says:

Love this place, I don’t know of any other place where one would compare Miley Cyrus to Andrei Kostitsyn… oh my achy breaky heart!! heheh

Also good to hear Emelin is taking his rehab seriously and doing good.
    It’s a contract year for the Russian tank, and you have to figure he wants to impress and come back as soon as possible so he can work his magic.

26. bwoar says:

Max Pac out until Feb/March?

“thoroughbred”

27. The Dude says:

How bout that Patrick Roy start .Those fans that thought he’d be a crap coach are so wrong eh!

Saw this story on a Grandfather who made a bet with a local bookie when his grandson was 18 months old, that he would one day lace ‘em up for Wales playing soccer.

So, any of the Grandpa’s or Grandma’s have any bets on their grandkids suiting it up for Les Habitants?

Thinking specifically of Bripro and his wonderful grandson.

• savethepuck says:

I had heard that Rory McIlroy’s father placed a 500 lb bet with a bookie when Rory was 14 or 15, that Rory would win the British Open by the age of 25.
      That bet pays 200,000 lbs. 18 months old is quite a bit different though.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

29. JF says:

RDS is reporting that Rene Bourque is absent from practice with the flu.

30. daveho29 says:

Injury bug has hit me as well.
    Lost a bet to a leafs fan and had to wear her leafs tee shirt, about 2 sizes too small for me, wore it Saturday during the leafs game at the pub before donning my Habs jersey to watch the Habs trounce the Canucks.

Went Mountain biking Monday and crashed my bike on a trail I have rode many times and landed on my ribs and cracked one, can’t work now.
    Then last night my truck wouldn’t start(starter I think).

Coincidence? I think not, Definitely because I put on that jinxed shirt!

31. rhino514 says:

Prust with two goals now despite seeing alot of fourth line time.
    What exactly was wrong with the option of having this guy on the third line? Are we really a discernibly better team by spending tons more to have Briere in that spot?
    I mean, even if he gets it going, are we really better?

32. Mattyleg says:

There once was a poster called Bugs
    Who could pull us all out of our fugs;
    With his riffin’ and stylin’
    He got us all smilin’,
    He’s back now, but where was he? (shrugs)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. adamkennelly says:

Drewiske out five to six months following shoulder surgery…in other completely irrelevant news – I too will not be available to the Habs line-up for the next 5 to 6 months – maybe more.

34. Say Ash says:

Episode 2 of 24CH

My favourite scene came at the end, where Desharnais made room on his nightstand for the autographed hockey puck.

35. krob1000 says:

Let’s just call it as it is …..the Eller-Galch-Gallagher line should be
    “The Torch Line” because after all of these years it finally is time to pass the torch to someone worthy.
    or “the Scorch Line” fro scoring torch line..and a little less pressure but I think the Torch Line has arrived…
    or the “lEGGacy line”

36. habs-fan-84 says:

I hate to be that guy….but does anyone know where I can find the 24CH episodes online (French or English – doesn’t matter). I’m pretty sure the official habs website used to post them last year after the episode was aired but I haven’t seen them post a full episode yet (at least as of the last time I checked – Monday).

37. Bugs says:

Kind words from y’all last night. To thee who doubts; oh, it’s me, baby. Happy to be back.
    But uhhhh…didn’t get better than Lil Yankee Ivan, soooo, we actually goin with that?
    Somebody mentioned 24 CH (buddy just below really) and that got me thinkin. Love the in-between-period-bringin-a-guy-to-the-videoroom bit. “Look, clown! You’re ziggin here when you should be zaggin THERE! Look! Looo-ooook!!!”
    What can the guy say to that; he sees it with his own eyes? “Dang, I AM a clown…”
    Then the coaches start clappin furiously and chanting “Ok, ok, let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!” And the player hops up, looks around wildly for an incoming check and hurries back to the dressing-room guzzling water out of a plastic bottle.
    I love it.
    But I also hate it.
    Because Danny Brière is in it.
    I hate that guy. I hate’m. I hated him 6 years ago; I hate him now. He’s a punk. He’s a bum. “Oh no, he’s one of us now, Bugs; he said so.”
    Bull.
    For 3 mil, he’s a Philadelphian, ok? A BOUGHT-OUT Philadelphian.
    For 3 mil LESS, WE woulda bought him out; think about that.
    Pff..Brière…ptui! I hate his guts.
    But apart from my utter contempt for him, gotta say he looks like a really nice guy.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

38. Strummer says:

Episode 2 of 24CH

My favorite moment was when the players were meeting with the fans outside the rink after practice in Lac Megantic and a woman exclaims “Is that little Deharnais?”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habsrule1 says:

Mine was when White left for 7 minutes after his fight and they said he wouldn’t be back unless the game went to OT, and White said:

“Well, I haven’t seen an OT shift in about 10 years…..”

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

That was pretty funny…my 5 yr old boy liked Eller getting his teeth looked at and getting stitched up between periods! Kind of disturbing …

• Strummer says:

hey guys-both were interesting scenes as welll as Gally interacting with Briere’s son.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• krob1000 says:

the show is great…they could probably have an entire channel of these type of shows in all sports…

39. Maritime Ronn says:

With all the lousy injury news going on, perhaps a silver lining.
    It’s being reported that Emelin is on the ice this AM with Strength and Conditioning coach Pierre Allard and is ” working hard.”

Did you see the last episode of 24CH Ron? Budaj is talking about all the hard work Emelin is doing in order to rehab. Emelin looks in great shape and is all smiles as Budaj is talking about the regime he is working on.

I think that Russian Tank is going to be back sooner than we all thought and will be right back to his usual self.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi burli

Saw that. and as you mention let’s hope sooner than later but you never know with these things.
        I was following the RGIII weekly soap opera on his rehab for the Washington Redskins after his ACL operation…and AE had stuff with both ACL and MCL.
        What was interesting were all the tests and measurements before a guy can come back.
        Noted that AE is not an NFL QB where there are differents requirements for mobility and elasticity, yet its still major to get back from that injury.
        Anything before mid November would be a huge bonus – then he has to find his game shape.

• Kooch7800 says:

How is Murray progressing? I haven’ tseen any updates.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

If ever there was a reason for people to not be Leafs fans, this story surely must convince those Leaf fans to stop cheering.

Evidently in the Leaf locker room after victories they play Miley Cyrus song We can’t stop.

Mr. Bozak is apparantly quite the fan….

41. PrimeTime says:

This place is due for an eruption!! Habs lose and Leafs win tonight. Throw in the towel….the season is over!!!

42. habs-fan-84 says:

So if Patches is out for an extended period of time does Louis get his opportunity?

• John Q Public says:

Je ne pense pas.

• Kooch7800 says:

If he is out for a long period it really screws up our balance up front in size and production. With the loss of Cole/Ryder to be replaced by Briere and now with Patches out our goal scoring will take more of a hit.

Makes Morrow look like he would have been the better acquisition again…..darn!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habs-fan-84 says:

Indeed.
        I think the boys will collectively step it up though.

• Kooch7800 says:

It will test the depth for sure. We really don’t have anyone ready to make the jump either. If they struggle I would doubt it if MB picks up someone to fill the gap if Patches will be out for a really long time.

I guess the Olympics may be out for him now

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• B says:

Reports here indicate there are forwards playing better than Leblanc right now in Hamilton, he needs to show better. He is one of only 2 players on the Dogs who are a minus. He also has no points.

–Go Habs Go!–

Ryan Clowe on IR list from an elbow to his head. 3 Concussions last year alone, he gets this shot in the head, the team keeps him in the game and then says maybe they are overreacting…..

Yup the NHL Teams are really concerned about players head injuries….

• Kooch7800 says:

I believe it was you yesterday who said about patches the abuse the power forwards take. Clowe is a massive guy and this further proves that point. He is a heck of a hockey player but his body has taken too much of a pounding.

Kind of like a Wendell Clarke

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

I agree, I just couldn’t believe that Lou in Jersey thinks they may be overreacting by putting him on Injured Reserve. 3 concussions last season and what appears to be another one now, how is taking care of him, overreacting?

Yup, I don’t think many of us appreciate the physical pounding these players and specifically power forwards put their bodies through.

44. CERF says:

Did my eyes deceive me or did i see the great Bugs post again?!

Any chance we see Lucic run Thomas in net tonight?

46. Small_Town_Boy says:

Why wasn’t Montreal on this list?

Here are the most expensive from Forbes.com:

1) Toronto Maple Leafs – Avg Price: $368.60
    2) Chicago Blackhawks – Avg Price: $313.18
    3) Winnipeg Jets – Avg Price: $276.69
    4) Edmonton Oilers – Avg Price: $272.75
    5) Vancouver Canucks – Avg Price: $265.48

Here are the least expensive from Forbes.com:

25) St. Louis Blues – Avg Price: $105.84
    26) Tampa Bay Lightning – Avg Price: $101.79
    27) Columbus Blue Jackets – Avg Price: $95.90
    28) Anaheim Ducks – Avg Price: $91.49
    29) Colorado Avalanche – Avg Price: $86.40
    30) Phoenix Coyotes – Avg Price: $76.65

47. Habfan10912 says:

I remember a while back our friend Timo was going to create a spreadsheet where everyone’s seats were located at the Summit game. I must have missed that post. If anyone has it could they repost for me? Thanks.

48. Maritime Ronn says:

I was looking at some of the team stats for Columbus, and unexpectedly came across another surprising team on the Goon Team list…and it wasn’t Columbus.

This team leads the NHL in Major Penalties
    This team is 6th in the NHL for Total Penalties.
    This team is 2nd in the NHL for PIMs/Game.
    This team is 2nd in the NHL for Bench Minors
    All of this with 2 of its tough guys injured.

The Toronto Maple Leafs? Nope
    Boston Bruins? Nope
    Philly Flyers? Nope.

That team is…The Montreal Canadiens.

• B says:

They finally got their PK into the top 10, they will need a really good one if they continue to take too many penalties. I am hoping they can still keep up a decent PK while not taking too many dumb penalties like last season.

–Go Habs Go!–

49. DalEng says:

Good Morning everyone!

Been only at the office for 2 hours and I am already ready for puck drop. :(

Lets get some in depth analysis going and hopefully make my day go quicker.

MF