Drewiske out five to six months following shoulder surgery

Drewiske new upload

(File photo: John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens’ defenceman Davis Drewiske is expected to be out five to six months after undergoing shoulder surgery, the team announced Wednesday.

Dr. Paul Martineau, the Canadiens’ head orthopedic surgeon, performed the surgery Wednesday morning at a Montreal hospital.

Drewiske injured his shoulder on Sept. 18 during training camp and was initially expected to be sidelined for at least a month.

The Habs acquired the 28-year-old, 6-foot-2 Wisconsin native from the Los Angeles Kings in early April and signed him to a two-year contract extension in June. He played nine games for the Canadiens in April and was a healthy scratch during the playoffs.

In other injury news, forward Max Pacioretty went for medical tests on Wednesday after suffering a lower-body injury during the Canadiens’ 3-0 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday. The team said it hopes to have more details and provide an update on Thursday.

The Canadiens didn’t practice on Wednesday after arriving back early in the morning from Winnipeg. The Habs face the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-Habs, TSN 690 Radio)

On a completely unrelated note, I usually watch TSN Sportscenter every morning before heading off to work. While I definitely thought Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole could go overboard with their “Shtick” some mornings, I do notice the massive dropoff now in talent at TSN. Watching Dutch with his forced humour and Kate Bierness also trying to force humour into their show I find extremely painful.

So I thought I would give Sportsnet a chance to see how their show is, yikes that was even worse.

2. Habfan10912 says:

I hope Bugs return last night was more then just a late night walk through memory lane. When I first started visiting this site he was one of my favorites. A great sense of humor to go along with his Hab fandom. CHeers bugs!

3. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. Really hope Max is not out long as it really hurts this team. I’ve been giving this some thought and here’s an option to help heal that wound.
    Move Eller to the wing to replace Patches role as a power forward/goal scorer. Move Galchenyuk to center.

Your choices for a call up as I see it are LL or Dumont. I’d go with LL as he’s bigger and he’s also french speaking (kidding).

4. habs1992 says:

That site is a fraud site, and just for pure speculation and fun purposes, no credible sources there. It can be fun to speculate but this isnt NHL 2014 (video game) CONFIRMED

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

5. John Q Public says:

Bourque – Plex – Gio
    Prust – Eller – Briere
    Galchenyuk – Desharnais – Gally
    Moen – Bournival – White

Huh Huh …..

• geo_habsgo says:

You’re not giving Eller much to play with!

I would put Eller with the kids, Keep the plex line in tact, and have Briere playing Between Bournival/Prust. Desharnais eats a hot dog upstairs tonight.

Although ideally, this would be my team:

Subban, Subban, Subban
      Subban, Subban, Subban,
      Subban, Subban, Subban,
      Subban, Subban, Subban,

Subban, Subban,
      Subban, Subban,
      Subban, Subban

Price.

6. TMan1969 says:

Hockeybuzz has Mtl interested in acquiring Yakupov from Edm…what would the Habs have to give up? Markov and Gallagher? Fucale?? Gorges?…what do you guys think

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

7. Mavid says:

Sens home opener tonight..red carpet, tents, free parking..lot of ceremony..and there are still tickets avilable …hockey mad market my ass..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Maritime Ronn says:

Amazing how cheap the tickets are on StubHub
      Lower Level Section 119 corner Row D
      $75 a ticket
      Those are Phoenix prices.

I am surprised their home opener is this late in the season. I still can’t believe the league gave Ottawa a franchise over Hamilton, proof that the collusion of Buffalo/Toronto refuse to allow a franchise in their territory, yet somehow there can be 3 teams in the New York area.

• Mavid says:

Part of it is because they are sharing the arena with the 67′s Landsdown Park is under major (and much needed ) renovations, and also to prepare for the CFL team the red-blacks

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Maritime Ronn says:

Not as bad as the Rangers
        With all the renos at MSG, they have to play their first 9 games on the road and their home opener is October 28th against the Habs

• Habfan10912 says:

I saw that last night as well Ronn. I remember a couple seasons back it seemed like the Habs played about 25 games which were the opponents home opener (I exaggerate). All I could think of was that.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi jim
            yea I remember that
            Actually, one of those Rangers away games is New Jersey…so that will be like a home game

8. Cape Breton says:

Not to worry about Pax out long term when we have Briere, who has always wanted to play in Montreal, eh?

9. habs1992 says:

“The best team bonding, is a bar fight.” So true you find out who has your back.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

10. Marcusman says:

With Patches out, they should simply give his spot to Bournival..this kid is ready to go..at 21 he’s strong on the puck, can score and likes to hit.

11. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s hoping the guy over at TVA Sports Montreal is wrong.
    Anything ACL is never good news

Patrick Caisse ‏@PatrickCaisse
    Ne soyez pas surpris si les #Habs annoncent demain que le ligament antérieur croisé du genou gauche de Pacioretty est en piètre état…

Don’t be surprised if the Habs announce tomorrow (today) that Pacioretty’s left knee ACL is in ( poor/bad) state (condition)

12. SmartDog says:

Laraque charged with fraud:

Its about time! Now they need to go after Gomez!

————————————-
    Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

13. third generation haber says:

Could Patches injury be a blessing in disguise?

Our division crown last season was clearly an inflated result. We didn’t have the depth, size, or grit to survive a cup run (or even the first round).

If your bar is winning the cup (and it should be), then I think we have to acknowledge that we’re nowhere near that yet. Our young core hasn’t entered their prime yet, and we still have dead weight on this team.

Our only reward for last season was drafting at the “back of the bus” and an early exit from the playoffs. I sincerely hope we finish 8th this year and get a better draft position. We will have to face a tougher opponent in round 1, but I figure you’re either good enough to win the cup or you aren’t.

And, an 8th place finish sure didn’t hurt the Kings a couple years back.
    j.p. murray

Tank through injuries?

• wjc says:

Losing Patches not a blessing.

Last season crown was a good accomplishment.

Profits are first and building a team helps achieive that.

They are getting closer to contending for a cup.

You cannot plan for 8th place, you could end up outside looking in.
      You have to play your best every game, because of ticket prices etc.

You try to finish high and let the draft take care of itself.

You have to learn to win and being successful at various stages is important.

In your world you would hold back the Gallaghers, Subans and Galchenuks in order to drop in the standings. How long would Bergevin last if ownership thought he cost them playoff revenues. Not to mention the scandal of ordering Therien to have losses that would guarantee a lower finish.

You must remember, profit runs the ship and if you fail at that you are removed.

wjc

14. Bugs says:

So…
    How ’bout my boy Galchenyuk? (Yeah, that’s right, he’s my boy, you shut up!)
    We got a nickname, yet? What’s goin on here? No one tells me nuthin. Huh? What’s the scoop; what do we got? Huh? “Chucky”? Seriously? That’s what you got? “CHucky”??? Yeah, do me a favor, aw’ight?; sell that sh…poop to the tourists, ok?, thanks. Seriously, what do we got? Let’s get down to brass tacks, here. This is Montreal, for crying out loud. And “Chucky” ain’t gonna CUT IT!
    So WHAT do we GOT?
    Well, I’m glad you all brought it up.
    Workin on a nickname meself, you see.
    Check it out: “Little Yankee Ivan”.
    Huh?
    Huuuuuh?? Not bed, eh?

Creative GENIUS if I do say so meself…and what the hell, I’ll DO say so meself.
    Unless y’all can do better or sumpin…

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

15. PrashadHabs says:

Not sure if it was posted, but there is a rumour online saying that Patches will be out until February. Nothing will be official until probably tomorrow. If true, sucks that it will be that long but at least not the year.

• Sportfan says:

If true, Who replaces him?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Timo says:

Bet now you all wish Habs didn’t buy out Scotty Gomez. He has more points than Pacioretty.

Guess we’ll learn tomorrow. Hopefully it’s a couple of weeks kind of things… maybe even a couple of games.

But if it’s a long term absence, Bournival gets in and Michael Therrien begins a game of musical chairs with his forwards with Moen and Prust getting more time on top 3 lines.

Hey, Sens survived without a lot of key players, including Spezza, last season… Habs should be able to survive without Pacioretty. Besides, did you forget that they got Dany I-always-wanted-to-play-in-Montreal Briere?

• third generation haber says:

Let’s hope management has learned from the smurf experience and don’t use Thomas as a call-up. Blunden or Leblanc please!
          I’d also be interested to see if Akim Aliu has anything to offer.

j.p. murray

• Harditya says:

Dany I-always-wanted-to-play-in-Montreal Briere… always makes me chuckle hahaha

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Not sure but it means Bournival will be playing regular minutes. I hate to see that kid watching from the press box.

16. slyCH says:

Met a blues fan tonight. Long short, I mentioned the first blues loss which, he brought up on his own, was a doozy. Asked him who started the game since I wasn’t sure and he told me Halak. So, I sayz, 4 goals, shame. Told him I wish Halak no ill will but was thankful for getting Eller for him. His eyes grew big and after back and forth banter mentioned how big an impact player Eller will be 3 years down the road. (I think he’s there now) He beleives Halak will not be re-signed.

• Sportfan says:

Didn’t like the Halak Eller trade did he, its not like he knew how Eller would turn out back then?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• slyCH says:

Told him Gryba’s facelift did not deter Eller and he’s better than ever. Can score a goal from the bench. No. He’s not a happy guy. But he’s not totally displeased with Halak. Just thinks they will not be able to resign him.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Oh, good grief. He had one bad game. His only loss this season. He’s still 4 & 1. People sound sometimes here like Jaro is their ex-lover who
      has moved on to a new happy relationship. “Yeah, well my new girlfriend is much hotter, and they’re going to break up anyway.”

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• slyCH says:

Dude really, relax. It was an abbreviated transcript of a conversation between a blues fan from St-Louie and I, a MTL Canadiens fan. Subtleties lost in transcript. So be it. Sorry to tickle your funny bone. Love Halak and love Eller. That is all. Don’t respond.

• mksness says:

i watched that game and halak wasn’t sharp on 2 maybe 3 of the goals but you’re also talking about one of the best offensive teams in the league right now in the sharks. The sharks have a scary power play and the lapierre penalty screwed up the entire game. i actually think people are over reacting to the lapierre hit. if boyle doesn’t hit his chin on the boards we’re talking about a 2 minutes minor. people are calling him a rat and honestly he’s not a player who tries to hurt people. he’s no where near some of the other bad offenders.

17. jedimyrmidon says:

It hurts my eyes to see people writing things like this about the Leafs: “great teams create their own luck”

Pretty much the Leafs’ entire top 6 is shooting at 20%, and last game they had 4 goals on 14 shots (2 goals on their first 3 shots). It’s just freakish. Not even the Penguins can score like that.

Then Leaf fans also use the opportunity to extol their goaltending duo: we shouldn’t have won, but Bernier/Reimer are so good that they were able to pull out the win. And then they follow it up with: “Imagine if the Leafs were playing properly, they would be even more amazing!”

I highly doubt even the most elite teams could win in that fashion as a way of playing the game. Something has got to give.

• jols101 says:

Jedi, you really need to do yourself a favor and stop watching/reading CBC, TSN, SportsNet, etc. Everyone knows they are all Leaf fan boys, they always have been and always will be. It sucks, but it is never going to change. You either have to except it and realize it is all bullsh$t or just tune it out all together.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hard not to look at “Canada’s” main sports media outlets when seeing what happens around the league. I guess we in Canada are unfortunate in that the ‘national’ broadcasters act more like local broadcasters.

• Sportfan says:

Just rub in last years playoffs they usually shut up

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Marc10 says:

Let them enjoy it I say. They’re playing great and are injury free. That might change quick in this league.

I noticed I’ve been receiving an increasing amount of troll bait from my friends who are Leaf Fans. They’re way too confident.

Meanwhile our team is quietly plugging away with a couple of superstars in the making (and one who is already there…) Payback is going to be a b****.

• third generation haber says:

I hate the leafs with every fiber of my being and don’t even consider them a Canadian team.

But, I have to acknowledge that they have elite goal scorers (that don’t need to be baby-sat), good to great goal-tending, a decent defense who at least make life hard for the opposition, very good coaching, and team toughness off the charts.

They don’t have overpaid perimeter smurfs who never produce enough offence for the money they earn, the shelter they get on face-offs, pp time they get, and protection they get from our 4th liners.

Their entire team is above 6 feet! They are, at the very least, a much better play-off team than we are.

j.p. murray

• DipsyDoodler says:

They’re always cup contenders in October.

• wjc says:

two great shots, or two great opportunies on 3 shots.

Maybe the goaly had no chance.

Your jealousy is showing, they lose you laugh, the win you cry.

wjc

18. oldtimerguy says:

Hey krob,

you miss my point entirely…we are not winning anytime soon(nxt 2-3 yrs) WITH these current vets(gio, pleks, markov, moen, briere, bouillon, murray)…and by the time the younger guys know how to win, these vets wont be as good as they are now and they wont be worth as much on the market. Now is the time to deal them.

I do however agree with you that you need vets to win the cup..that’s a given…and so logically, in a few yrs time, when we are ready to make a run, when our young guys have learned to win and at that point have become young vets, we will have the cap space(because we got rid of the vets now) to go and sign slightly older vets that we need at that point, vets who will be 31,32 yrs old…not gio, markov, pleks who will all be 34-35 and older…

its a 2-3 yr plan… trade off the current vets at this yrs deadline, go young, promote from within, draft higher because in the short term we finish lower due to loss of current vets, save cap space, and THEN, in a few yrs, sign some vets that are the right vets to get us to the next level… capito?

• Tyhudg says:

I disagree…. who are you going to move out of that group? Save for Murry, Moen and Briere these guys are all pivotal players. There is nobody in the habs system to replace them with at present time, especially the leadership qualities. I mean I will agree with you that dismantling the team and resigning this season could help in 3-4 years…. but that kind of talk belongs over at copper and blue, friend.

• piper says:

If rumours are true and Max is out until February then I agree with oldtimer.
      The way things are set up now the Habs were in tough to make the playoffs with Max, and they don’t have anyone in the system that can replace him. Unless Bergevin can pull of a trade to get a big scoring forward soon, then I see them as sellers at the deadline.

19. NCRhabsfan says:

Anybody know what is up with Christian Thomas? I notice that Danny Kristo is leading his AHL team in scoring with 2 G and 3 A in 4 GP. I looked for Christian Thomas and cannot find him on the Habs’ roster, even as a player on IR, nor is he listed on the Bulldogs roster or in the ECHL. I’m guessing he’s hurt but shouldn’t he appear somewhere nonetheless? Anybody know what the scoop is?

• Tyhudg says:

He got injured in training camp, so simply cannot be sent down until he is healthy. I am not sure how they designate players in limbo like this, but that is all it is.

Ageless Teemu scores a beauty for Anaheim.

21. JO says:

All the hockey coaches I ever played for always set their lines

1st line = Best players
    2nd line = Better Players
    3rd line = Good players
    4th line = Crash, Bang, and score the odd goal

Although Therrien don’t have his lines set quite that way so far it’s working down the road it will get him in trouble. He hasn’t played some of the best teams yet it’s coming than we’ll find out!!

OK. I’ve been out of the loop for a while what with my summer of excitement and all. When is the summit? Is it next week-end? And the Hurleys’s drunk up? Dates and times please.

23. on2ndthought says:

This site is more fun when we’re winning. Even the naysayers are just waiting before they pounce. Gorges, Diaz, even DD getting a little love, it warms the cockles.

When Emelin gets back, it might be better for him to be on the left, but not for the team. Our dearth of R D make it impossible for MT to pull it off unless he brings Pateryn or Nygren up.

I like Phil C’s lines (PK-Marky; Emelin-Diaz; Murray-Gorges), but even here Gorges would have to play on his off wing, Murrays’s game is all about positioning, he probably would not adjust very well.

I think it was UCE or HIB who was saying a while ago that Drewiske’s job was to work hard in practice, be a good team-mate and play a simple game if called upon. That role will still be his when he recovers. This is a character guy, and that has value in MB’s world, just like in real life (even if his NHL on-ice value is small).

“a cannonading drive”

• Loonie says:

As a perceived naysayer I feel it’s my duty to point out that Gorges has been a pleasant surprise. But that Diaz and Desharnais have been………underwhelming(to say the least).

The team is winning, obviously a good thing. More impressive is that they’re winning in different ways. As long as Diaz and Deshanarais aren’t playing prominent roles that may continue.

24. Psycho29 says:

Letterman’s Top 10 List…Career highlights at Madison Square Garden…

Included from hockey are Rod Gilbert, Adam Graves and Henrik Lundqvist

25. lazman says:

While I am a regular reader here, I don’t post often. Anybody know whatever happened to Loonie, aka Tom Nickle? He always provided some good, sometimes controversial, insight to this blog.

• habsfan0 says:

I believe he was seduced by the Dark Side and became a Laff fan.

He still posts on occasion, he did just a few days ago as i recall, I am sure you will see him posting here soon enough. He indeed makes some very good posts and creates some excellent conversation/dialogue.

• Loonie says:

Thought I had the flu, turns out my ears were just burning a little.

I still check in from time to time. I’m like Michael Corleone, just when I thought I was out they pulled me back in.

;)

Haha, you sir have impeccable timing!

• Loonie says:

Cheers pal. Something had to be up. About a half foot deep into my favourite blend.

How’s life treatin ya?

Not too bad, thanks, looking forward to our Summit next weekend and enjoying the teams recent success. Can’t wait for Emelin’s return and still remain optimistic that Murray can help if only for some key divisional games with Boston and Toronto.

Hopeful MaxPac isn’t out too long, but fear the worst.

CHeers Tom!

• Loonie says:

I hope you enjoy the summit pal. I’m sure you will in fact.

Try to leave some medication in Montreal would ya.

• lazman says:

Good to see you are still ready to provide input!! Always insightful.

• ProHabs says:

Tom Nickle and Andrew Berkshire are currently arguing with each other for 8 months straight now so they don’t have time to come on HIO. Neither one of them is willing to compromise and admit that they may actually not know every single thing about the Habs or hockey.

• oldtimerguy says:

he was last seen waiting outside Chicago’s arena for an autograph from Patrick kane…

lol….remember he assured us he knew someone INSIDE who said kane was a done deal coming here…

• Un Canadien errant says:

He never said it was a done deal. He said there were talks going on.

You can always go back and check, and maybe prove me wrong, but I remember he spoke conditionally, used ‘may’ and ‘might’ and ‘could’. When it didn’t come to pass, some posters decided to hold it against him, as if he guaranteed it, which he hadn’t.

26. Bill says:

Salmon Rushdie never sucked and never will. Shalimar the Clown is a later-ish novel and it’s fantastic.

You’re right about Chara tho!

27. ProHabs says:

The most underrated person in the Habs organization? No other than Michel Therrien. This guy is a damn good coach. The players seem to like him and seem to like playing for him. Who would have thunk.

28. DipsyDoodler says:

I think we all remember the exact juncture at which Zdeno Chara jumped the shark.

In last year’s playoffs he went from defensive stalwart to liability, in one game – maybe in one shift, and ended up being on the ice for something like 12 of the Black Hawks’ last 14 goals (including the Bickell heartbreaker). It all happened when Toews called out the naked emperor , and said the Hawks were going to not only cease fearing him but target him from then on.

Here is the big lug getting deked by Datsyuk:

Chara has the worst minus on the Bs so far (yes I know the season is embryonic).

I hope he gets so bad that, as for the late novels of Salman Rushdie, we start thinking that maybe just maybe he always sucked.

29. habsfan0 says:

Recent history has shown that the Habs usually lay an egg during their 1st home game after a successful,extended road trip.
    Hopefully,history doesn’t repeat itself tomorrow night.

I recognize very early in the season, is it possible Henrik Lundqvist was at all a product of the defensive system Torterella was preaching in New York?

I don’t dispute he has talent, that he can be a good to great goalie, but is this perhaps an example where a tight defensive system can make a goalie look great instead of good?

• Habfan10912 says:

You mean like Tim Thomas? No, Lundquist makes his defence look good. Much like Price is doing this year. :)

• H.Upmann says:

yeeooowwwch! they ain’t doing too good eh… wonder if Vigneault (and Holmgren) will be gone by Christmas.

• geo_habsgo says:

I definitely think defensive schemes play into a goalies performance, Burly. I think most NHL goalies are able to keep up at least steady play in net if they get good defensive support. Remember how many one goal wins and losses we had under JM?

I think the best goalies are the ones that can put up above average numbers in spite of who plays in front of them. Carey Price can be that goalie I think and even better if he gets some great defensive support.

• twilighthours says:

That ridiculous road trip was ridiculously ridiculous.

• JUST ME says:

Apparently Lundqvist was one of the goalers that was the most affected by the new rules surrounding goaler equipments. Could not give you the before/after measurements but i can understand that it must take a while to get used to new distances and equipments.

Mind you this is not the only problem in N.Y. and there is a bit of everything involved to explain the situation. Yes new coach,injuries and poor performances from the D corps. Problem is that lost points are so difficult to get back that it is not long before the situation becomes desperate. Thus the famous wait at least 10 games before you make a definitive judgement…

• Phil C says:

Short answer. Yes.

Long answer. In 2010-11, Brian Elliott had the 5th worst save percentage in the league of .893 and the 4th worst GAA of 3.19 with Ottawa and Colorado. A year later with St. Louis, he posts a league best SV% of .940 and a GAA of 1.56. He literally was giving up half as many goals a game and went from being one of the worst goalies in the league to having the best numbers.

So he either sold his soul to the devil in the off-season in exchange for goaltending skills, or playing for Hitchcock and the Blues was really good for his stats. Can’t see why it would be different for Lundqvist, or any other goalie.

31. geo_habsgo says:

So where are you summiteers going to be drinking at? I wanna come by once you have all had too much to drink and are feeling more generous :p Show your appreciation for students and buy me a pint!

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was one of the very few supporters of Diaz when He first started out here in HIO at the time …His skating and offensive flair excited Me at a time when PK was still ‘learning’ and Markov missing

…I cooled off only late last season, His soft play against the more physical teams, especially in the play-offs I felt, reluctantly, We needed to upgrade physically on Diaz, considering PK has emerged, Markov is slowly re-emerging, and Beaulieu soon here on a permanent basis

…but, Diaz’ play early this season has been exceptionally intelligent and intuitive, on top of His known quickness and skill that thinking about getting rid of Him seems very foolhardy

…it will be interesting to watch Diaz to see His intelligence to compensate when the competition becomes ferociously physical against teams like the Weeds and Beans, …more importantly the no-holds barred playoffs

• JF says:

Agree about Diaz. I’ve been one of his staunchest defenders right from the start. It’s true that he’s less effective against very physical teams, although his intelligence and strong positional play help him. I give him a bit of a pass for the playoffs because he’d only been back a short while. If Murray turns out to be useful, it might help to pair Diaz with him. For the moment, I like him better with Gorges than with Markov.

• JUST ME says:

For a reason i cannot explain swiss players tend to fall out of grace in MTL after a while.
      Used to like Mark Streit a lot but he wanted too much money, i found that Yannick Weber was a real threath on the power play but there was no place left for him anymore and now Diaz is a real asset on an ever fragile defence corps and like an unsung heroe ,fell from grace in the fans eye before season got under way and during pre-season but now suddenly seems to be back under the rainbow. I do not trust you guys. I like him but i know somehow we will get rid of him for close to nothing in a short while…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Diaz is a good D-man. The problem is that he gets put in positions where he looks bad. He is an intelligent puck mover with some offense. He is not physically strong enough to deal with larger players so he can sometimes be a liability defensively; especially when paired with someone with the same deficiency. For example, Gorges has the same deficiency. So when they are out together and both can’t clear the front of the net, they both look bad. Diaz is a great 5-6 d-man paired with the right guy. That is why I liked him with Emelin. The ideal trade for the Habs to make would be to get a right-handed physical D-man to play with Gorges on the second pairing. With Diaz and Emelin set on the third pairing, the D would be set. Here’s hoping that MB does something…

• Marc10 says:

Diaz is an NHL D-man. It’s more about where he fits into our lineup (most likely 5th or 6th and second PP unit).

He’s essentially Mark Streit light… and that’s not bad at all. It’s more about the fit at this stage. Long term he would need to pick up his offensive game to justify keeping him around.

• twilighthours says:

That’s the ticket.

• chemic says:

he’s doing his sommer workout spint in switzerland in zugue alongside other swiss nhl`ers like Brunner, Baertschi, Sbisa and likes. i have seen those trainings and met those guys, its a good thing to claer your mind, big fun, very competitive and since a couple of years a fine routine for those guys. but when i saw that ridicoulus workout video from subban in the street, i would love to see diaz doing some part of his summertraining and pushups back in canada simply to bulk his body.

Interesting to note that both Diaz and DD are players the Habs found at no cost to the system. No draft choices used, no trades made, but rather free signings.

Even if things go completely south and eventually either player is traded, anything we get is a plus to our “system”.

Both players have positive abilities in the right environment. Just as both have some shortcomings, but too often the complaints by many towards these players seem to forget the only cost to our team is salary/capspace.

33. johnnylarue says:

Re: The PK/Markov Dream Team

Thus far, it’s been apparent that these guys are working well together. The curmudgeonly Markov has visibly warmed up to the kid, and you can tell he enjoys playing with him and sees him more as a peer than a loud-mouthed annoyance (as may have been the case early on last season.) There’s respect there, and a good amount of chemistry.

And for the record, I would much rather see Emelin play on his natural side when he returns than to be shoe-horned back onto Markov’s right. Not sure how feasible that is given the predominantly left-shooting D squad we have, but I recall noticing Yemmy was about twice as good when playing on the left side. Am I alone on this one?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…see below :)

• Phil C says:

You are not alone, I feel exactly the same way about putting Emelin on the left. It’s not just about Emelin, any defensemen who has to play on his off side will have trouble holding pucks in at the blueline, and has to awkwardly turn their back to the play when picking pucks off the boards. Like Spacek when Lucic hit him.

• twilighthours says:

A very underappreciated aspect of playing the wrong side.

• krob1000 says:

It is a change….the pucks off boards if is the least of the concerns as most NHlers can pick pucks off the boards with their eyes closed on either hand. The bigger adjustment is mental….different angles, passes you used to make you are now making from a different angle and they are more easily picked off, when to get a d to d pass you have to take longer to get ready to move the puck again (they end up cheating and backing up further when they hinge so they have more time which is counter productive to a puck mover especially).

They have their stick to the middle of the rink when defending and have difficulty adjusting to the defending and when playing the inside shoulder are basically giving up the shot once within 40-50ft of their own net ft and if they commit with their stick cross body they run the risk of being cut back in on.

They will face smart opposition who will take away their option on their forehand when forechecking and a trap mentality is hard enough to break on your own side but when on the wrong side of the ice AND forced to backhand…look out…limited angles, limited passing options and under pressure and forced to backhand..only a few can survive playing on the wrong side. They are the super skilled and/or super smart.

• Phil C says:

All very good points. I would add all their pivots are backwards from what they are used to their whole life. And because of all the differences you mentioned above, their instincts are slightly off which will slow down decision-making. They often don’t have time to think, they have to rely on their instincts and react. Without considerable experience on your off side, your instincts can be wrong. For example, turning the wrong way could be the difference between making a play and getting beat.

The reason I chose mentioning taking the puck off the boards is because it is a particularly dangerous part of playing on your off-side. It does not matter how proficient you are at actually getting the puck, the mechanics of the move exposes your back to the play and limits your ability to see the checker coming. It’s fundamentally bad, regardless of your skill.

• vegas says:

i agree about Emelin and the left side
      He was so much more effective there
      I still say if he was playing the left side he never gets injured
      His timing was off on the lucic hit and he hit him head on instead of with his but had he played on the left side

If we have to sacrifice someone to the left side it should be Gorges, He played there a year or 2 with Mrkov on his left and if I recall he didn’t look out of place

Same goes for Tinordi. He is much much better on the left

Wonder if Beaulieu can play some right or else we may have another issue in the near future

34. Attention Summit Members

If you haven’t sent me a message either here or via electronic letter, get your butt in gear or L and secreetdragonfly will be printing your ID Tag out in crayon. FYI L, I just volunteered you for crayon duty.

Next, last winter I won 100 bucks on guessing a 5-1 victory over the Isles, I’m putting that on the bar at 3 PM, FYI I drink fast……FYI I pass out faster, L lay off the face painting this year, I am still trying to get the girlie stuff out of my who-ha…….Jim and Chris will be there this year. Please, do not start the initiation unitl the 100 bucks is gone…….GrimJim and I can be found passed out at Ye Old Orchard after the game Thursday. Ok off to the rink….send out thos ename tag requests, I got a bunch yesterday. Thank you.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

35. The Puckhound says:

Hey Hab Fans…Where is Christian Thomas?
    He is not on the Hamilton Bulldogs roster.

Go to the net and keep your stick on the ice!

36. Psycho29 says:

Speaking of the Republicans, Tim Thomas to start against the Bruins tomorrow night…

37. JF says:

The last couple of games Diaz has looked to me to be back to his pre-concussion form – smart passes, good protection of the puck with positioning and stickwork, intelligent decisions. If this continues – and there’s no real reason to think it won’t because he was playing like that at the start of last season – it will go a long way towards stabilizing our defence. Gorges also is playing better after a slightly off-year, which gives us two strong defence pairings and leaves Bouillon, for now, looking after whichever rookie is in. Could be worse, but I hope Murray is ready soon.

• johnnylarue says:

Gorges has been noticeably more physical since his injury. It’s almost as though he needs to play hurt to be at his most effective. I’m sure there’s a perfect superhero analogy to be found but I’m woefully out of the loop…

• Marc10 says:

Yeah, I noticed that too. He leveled Taylor Hall and EKane on the last road trip.

Good on him. He’s a much more effective D when he’s putting the hammer down. Knock on wood he stays healthy… but by all means keep that up!

• Habfan10912 says:

Sometimes great goaltending can have an impact on defencmans play. Do you think there might be a connection here given Price’s play thus far?

38. Un Canadien errant says:

I think it’s clear by now that some of you don’t get Timo, and a heck of a lot of you really don’t get Tomi.

Personally, I love them both, and think this is an interesting development, kind of like when Frasier joined the gang at Cheers. How will this play out?

My only wish would be for HIO Bot to get in the middle of this. And the return of Bugz.

• Timo has finally got it. He doesn’t crap on the Habs nearly as much as he used to. Every single post of his use to be blah blah blah now his post are worth reading…..well maybe not worth, but I am sure someone reads them…….just hackin on Timo, well done!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Yeah the majority here are just readers of you more literary gifted and Timo’s style did not sit well with many of us. He has noticeably changed up the old stuff that annoyed so many. In person he’s probably a laugh a minute.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Unfortunately Bugz left after taking a lot of flak, mainly by praising the potential of Pouliot over Eller. He may have been a poor judge of horseflesh but he was very entertaining at times.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…LOVED Bugz !!!

…biggest loss to HIO since ??? …hmmm, …let Me t’ink

• donmarco says:

Can I humbly ask why any of us has to “get” them? They, like everyone, have the right to post what they wish (within reasonable good taste ) but everyone also has the right to ignore them if they wish as well. It’s what I usually do.

• geo_habsgo says:

I miss Bugz that guy was hilarious and a little too intelligent for most of us. Guys like you, Commandant, Timo, Bugz, Loonie, and dare I say Andrew Berkshire are pretty necessary in a community like this. You need the articulate posters, the knowledgeable posters, the arrogant ones, the clowns, and a few contradictory voices to keep the rest of the community honest.

Kinda miss the old days where we were all not so nice to each other lol :)

39. commandant says:

Never can have too much depth on defence. These guys are always dropping.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

40. KamiDave says:

Hello HIO! I rarely post, long time lurker.

I’m in British Columbia, Kamloops, but will find myself in Montreal February 1st and 2nd, (and 3rd, but 1st and 2nd importantly as there are games both those days.)

What’s the best way to go about getting a pair of tickets for me and my wife? Thanks in advance to any responses.

Drewhoskie?

• johnnylarue says:

Oh, Drew-hoo, cry me a river…!

I do wish the lad a speedy recovery in spite of the fact that he’s my least favourite Hab. He’s now 50% more likely to get an itch on his back he can’t reach!

See, I try to see the *human side* to every injury…

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…not keeping PK and Markov together is STUPID …to put it politely

…both Beaulieu and Tinordi should remain up …that is if Our interest is to win

…if We are only interested in an under-20th pick at the draft ? …sure play Murray instead of Tinordi and Beaulieu

…sheesh You Guyz ! :(

• Un Canadien errant says:

Discord in Lotus Land?

It’s not about the position in the rankings this season, as much as creating a strong organization for the long term. With that in mind, I’d like to send Jarred back to Hamilton to polish up his game, he’s not above that, since he’s been a healthy scratch. Nathan needs a lot of work, and not just on his defensive game. He needs to learn habits to be a good pro, and he won’t get that by being in Montréal earning an NHL salary after a summer of licence.

Sure, the youth could pitch in now, they might be better than Messrs. Murray and Bouillon right now, but is that the best course of action for our organization?

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I vote for a strong organization in the long term. Agreed. I would prefer Tinordi and Beaulieu playing important minutes in Hamilton (PK and PP) to playing 8 minutes a night in the NHL and spending time in the press box. If we need one of them up it should Tinordi. And of course all of this is contingent on getting some of the injured D back…

24 cups and counting….

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have said it many times before, Our Team has all the professors and assistant professors here in Montreal coming out of Our Wazoos

…green yes, but They can comfortably learn on the job with the nurturing available in Montreal

…sending down the size mobility and sheer talent of Beaulieu and Tinordi to allow instead a Murray or whatever ragamuffin else We have lurking in the cloak-room in Brossard …Ya gotta be kiddin’ Norm

…and, We are still on for Abbotsford are We not ? :)

• Marc10 says:

I wouldn’t mind. It might help Pateryn, Ellis and co step up their game too… More competition for the remaining spots helps all around.

43. DipsyDoodler says:

Wow those Republicans tanked faster than the Edmonton Oilers!

• johnnylarue says:

They sure made their point though, eh? Not sure what exactly it *was*, but I’m 100% sure there was a point in there somewhere… maybe…

• DipsyDoodler says:

I believe it was: ‘wah wah wah wah”

• Stevie.Ray says:

Their point, “we don’t like Obamacare because it means less money for the crooked insurance and pharmaceutical companies that pay us under the tables”.

The bill passed in 2009, and if you don’t like the bill then have a vote and repeal it.

They did. Forty-one times they tried to repeal it, and they lost everytime. It’s like the 49ers shutting down the nfl because they wanted to win the Superbowl.

• donmarco says:

How a handful of extremists can essentially put the brakes on the biggest economy in the world astounds me. But it’s awful fun to see the Republicans eating their own young.

44. Tomi says:

Funny how a couple of wins can give all of you a blurred picture of this team. They are at best an 8th or 9th place team. Maybe on the bubble…

MB is proving to be the GM I expected. He gets Briere (can only score in an empty net), Drewiske, Murray (both injured) and of course signing Mr. Tiny Tot himself, Desharnaise. I had more faith in Gauthier.

Is Michael Therrien still the coach of this team? Another stupid move hiring him.

Well gotta run, I am late for my massage….

45. D Mex says:

Seeing the 5-6 month prognosis for Drewiske, I suspect the injury to his shoulder was fairly significant.
    I had a repair done years ago and was back after about 3 months, but he is younger, stronger, and will receive physio etc daily. Hmm …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

46. Hobie Hansen says:

The lineup on defence is far from being decided. I’m anxious to see if Murray is going to make things interesting? Emelin has a reserved spot when he returns but Murray is going to have to impress to get in?

I’m thinking Murray will get some games and either Beaulieu or Tinordi will get sent down? The player not sent down will rotate in and out of the lineup with Murray, until Emelin returns.

When Emelin returns, Tinordi and Beaulieu will both have to be sent down, unless Murray stinks? I think that’s the most likely scenario unless Beaulieu or Tinordi are sensational?

47. Thomas Le Fan says:

Some posters here are pretty cold. I hope Drewiske is better soon regardless of his usefulness to the team.
    My wife is going in for shoulder surgery in a week. I guess I can look forward to her owing me a whole lot of housework! Heh.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

T le F,
      Best wishes to Mrs T le F. I had shoulder surgery in the QE in ’81, redone in the Vic in ’92, and a scope here in ’99. Hope herself and Drewiske are both 100% after.

• wjc says:

The 600 big ones should cheer him up. I know you cannot imagine getting that much money in one year. Probably take you ten plus years.

He has made this kind of money the last couple of years as well. Bergevin obviously felt he was a useful piece of insurance to sign him in the first place.

Imagine every two weeks $25 thousand dollars drops into your bank account.

wjc

48. oldtimerguy says:

Beaulieu needs to be in Hamilton, playing 30 mins a game, learning the finer aspects of defensive positioning and shut down defense…when he gets that, he will be a force…as it stands now, he really is lacking defensively. His offense is natural…that’s not something you teach or learn…he’s got it. I’m all for him being in Hamilton for at least half a year more….

• shiram says:

Is he worse than say a Yannick Weber, which would play similar minutes on a third pairing and some PP time?
      Tough to say, but I think giving him some time in the big league, with the vets, can help him get an idea of what he needs to do to stick in the big club.
      So when he goes back down, he can apply it during those 25 minutes of TOI he’ll get in Hamilton.

• oldtimerguy says:

I would prefer to see him down now, playing a ton, learning under lefevbre….and called back up when his game is more well rounded…the comparison to weber is useless…weber was NEVER in the same category as beaulieu…beaulieu’s upside is far higher so taking the chance on stunting his growth and condifence now before he is really ready is in my opinion, unnecessary.

• JUST ME says:

Totally agree . I see the same thing than you do and it used to be his style in the q also. The Habs have to work on his defensive side cause if not he will become an average d- man wich he is not in my book. He could be an offensive threath à la P.K. in a way if he polishes al the aspects of his game.

It`s just not worth wasting a potential like this . Ultimately i would say that Beaulieu and even Tinordi will not make the difference this season in MTL. 9 players are without deals at the end of the season so many changes coming and brand new places for youngsters that are ready to graduate.

• stevieray says:

I’d take Beaulieu over Frankie the Bull any day on the second wave of the power play . I myself think he is close to being ready .

49. bellcentre hotdog says:

Any word on Max?

• krob1000 says:

wait til tomorrow…I perceived that as either second opinion or too much selling..neither of which is great. There is always the cup full perspective that Wolverine is healing as we speak and will be dressed tomorrow and it was more of an icing issue! I don’t want Recchilessly guess but I find it odd they got no news today to share.

• shiram says:

Not untill tomorrow.

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 1h

Nothing uncommon about no Max update today; it’s a day off for team. We should get news tomorrow at #Habs am skate #holdyourbreath

• krob1000 says:

if that is the case then why did we get the Drewiskie news today?

• shiram says:

We got an update on Drewiske today, we knew he was hurt and getting surgery.
          Surgery is done, they updated the information letting us know the approximate length of his rehab.
          Max was getting evaluated, they can’t say for how long he’ll be gone untill they get the information from the Docs.

50. shiram says:

Character is another word for intangibles, good in the room and other such expressions whose meaning does not translate 1 for 1 to hockey related attributes.
    It’s also Bergevin’s buzzword.
    An easy word to throw out when one does not want to explain in details something about a player.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Shiram, no argument here – it basically is MBs way of saying for the price he is paying, he could get variations of the skills he sees in Drewiske such as killing penalties and generally being as capable as other 5-8 defencemen in the league.

But because he likes the cut of his jib and how it fits his view of team culture, that’s his guy.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Whenever I discover that one of my classes is unsure of the meaning of the word “intangible”, I say it means “you can’t touch this” and then do that sideways MC Hammer thing across the front of the classroom. Although it’s probably fair to say that my grace and agility leave something to be desired, it always ends up that “intangible” is a word they always remember! Just wanted to share that.

• shiram says:

Wish I had a teacher like you, would have at least made it more memorable, and I can relate to MC Hammer.
        Please Hammer don’t hurt ‘em!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

We are now urged to provide a word-of-the-day every day and are issued with separate small whiteboards for that purpose (I wonder is this old hat for Bill and Stevie and the other teachers here).

Problem is, I only have a dance move for “intangible”!

51. frontenac1 says:

Not really hockey related but he does fancy himself a hockey expert, Harpo,our fearless leader is now all about helping the Prolitariat against the Bourgeois Capitalists! He wouldn”t Sh#t us ,would he?

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Front, Dear Leader (may he live forever) would like you to know that effective today:

“Two (Cable) Packages Good”
      “Four (Cable) Packages Bad”

Oh and we were never at war against Oceania …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You’re right about one thing, it’s not hockey related so give it a rest. I wouldn’t sh*t you either.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey and we could do without politics on HIO.

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Rule clarification please someone?

I loved Price hitting Scheifele who was in the blue paint.

I thought the commentator’s response — goalies who hit can expect to be hit — was inane, irrespective of rules. Price and other goalies already get hit all the time by players crashing the net, so why the finger-wagging? While CP is obliged to wait for Emelin to return and Tinordi to come down from the press box, I look forward to seeing him occasionally take care of business in his own house. I loved it last night.

Unless it’s against the rules?

• Ali says:

As far as I understand it, he’s not technically allowed to hit him (Just like you can’t hit a player without the puck, it’s roughing or interference).

Ref’s rarely call the goalies for it though, unless its particularly egregious

• John Q Public says:

The blue paint is Carey’s house.
      He didn’t knock at the door, so he through him out.
      I’d like to see a cross of Smith/Hextall from Price.
      Protect the homefront.

• Phil C says:

According to the rules, you are allowed to defend your body position. From Rule 56 on Interference:

“A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed. A player may “block” the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction.”

So if a player skates into Carey’s crease, he can defend that space. That’s why battles in front of the net are also tolerated. On a chip and chase play, if the defensemen turns while impeding progress, he won’t get called, but if he blocks his opponent while facing him, it will be a penalty.

I saw the ref talk with Carey after that play. I suspect he told him that he was close to getting a roughing penalty due to his over-zealous defense of his body position. I loved the play personally, it showed how much confidence and swagger he is currently playing with.

So now Kaleta is appealing his suspension. A new trend?

Would be interesting to see if Michael Therrien goes back with Tinordi tomorrow or sticks with Beaulieu. I though Beaulieu didn’t have a good game… made a couple of errant passes and was slow moving puck out of the zone on several occasions.

• UnkleGary says:

I find both play well but made rookie mistakes, which is to be expected. I would have Tinordi in, I think he fills a role we need more. Beaulieu seems to be a fantastic skater though, I’m excited to see him in a few years.

CH-eers!

• krob1000 says:

Considering Patches is out I would say Beaulieu to help witht he offense but like below poster mentioned..both will make mistakes..but right now losing Patches offesne and speed…I would play BEaulieu ..he can carry the puck the length of the ice to gain the zone with relative ease.

• J_P says:

I agree. I like Tinordi better in our current line-up, because I find beaulieu isnt ready to play his game at the NHL level yet. I think beaulieu should be playing the big minutes in Hamilton, especially considering that with Markov, Subban and diaz, he doesnt really get a chance to showcase his puck moving and offensive abilities.

Tinordi on the other hand is a bit older and more experienced. He also has the size and the reach. Ive liked what ive seen from him so far this year. In my books he should be the guy we go with until emelin and murray come back.

55. Un Canadien errant says:

Those of you who worry about Davis Drewiske’s cap hit, be aware it absolutely is not a problem. He is making $600 000 a year. Right now he will go on LTIR, so his tiny cap hit will still be on the books, but the Canadiens could go over the cap a corresponding amount of money to replace if they needed to.

More practically, he’s a body making minimum NHL wage, so whoever might have been signed in his place would make at least that much. We couldn’t have saved cap space by not signing him, not if we planned to carry 23 players. Also, if Davis was sent down to Hamilton, his wage would come off the cap entirely. If he’s claimed on waivers on the way down, same thing, no more cap hit. The fact that he’s signed for two years does not change that fact whatsoever.

We need to understand that he was signed to a two-year, one-way contract for minimum wage. Both sides were happy with the deal. He got two years of NHL wage security, the team got a #7.5 to eight-ish defenceman who could plug in in emergencies, and would provide options if the kids weren’t ready or injuries struck, as they did Douglas Murray, and Francis Bouillon and Josh Gorges who are playing through them.

As noted before, the management team must have seen something in him to trade for him, it’s his bad luck that he’s not able to play and practice and show them that something.

The fact that he got injured does not make this a bad signing, it’s just unfortunate, but it’s better than the alternative of P.K. or Andrei getting hurt and he being healthy and being made to play.

• shiram says:

The contract is not a big issue, it’s just puzzling why they went with 2 years, when usually this type of players can be re-signed year to year.
      They basically signed him not to play, but to be a practice guy and emergency depth.
      Wondering about the 50 contract thing too…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Shiram, right now we are five contracts under the limit, so we’re comfortably under.

I think that Davis Drewiske is a smart kid/has a good agent. The Canadiens needed a #7 defenceman, and that he be pretty cheap, in this artificially low cap year. Davis and his agent agreed to a contract, but instead of asking for a higher wage, which would have been a non-starter, since the team let Yannick Weber go rather than qualify him at around a million, they asked for term. ‘

So that was the tradeoff. He gets two years on a one-way contract, so his wage is guaranteed, even if he’s sent down to the AHL. The Canadiens can afford to pay him that in Hamilton, they’re not on shoestring. So it’s a negotiation where both sides got what they wanted.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Thanks for the blast of sanity UCE … for those that ask why the two years, it was cheap insurance and clearly, this is a character guy that they want around.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

56. krob1000 says:

Anyone else fearful for MAxpac the longer thye don’t say anything? Are they waiting for a second opinion? or maybe it is knee and swelling is too much to get good look? Scary that nothing released of yet. Patches biggest asset is his speed.

• BJ says:

And who is remotely close to his talent level that can be called up from Hamilton? Or is Bournival his replacement?

• krob1000 says:

Plenty of options with this group..Moen has played with Pleks and Gio, Galchenyuk and Briere can play center, Dumont is a viable 4th line option right now as is Leblanc. Bournival is ok to play 4th and could probably play some bigger minutes for the short term anyway.
        Tons of options IMO
        Pleks-Gio-Moen, Dd-Bourque-Prust, Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher, White-Briere-Bournival/Dumont or some variety of

• BJ says:

Pleks-Gio-Moen (can’t see Moen cutting the mustard on that line). White-Briere-Bournival as a 4th is not a good fit playing the more physical teams. I would actually interchange Moen and Briere.

• krob1000 says:

That is where you can dress Dumont. I am just throwing out options and considering the team is losing its top scorer that is still a pretty strong lineup. Bournival is pretty phsyical and having Prust and Moen out there with other lines provides them protection and some grit in the corners as well. In fairness Moen and Rust rarely lose any battles along the boards..they are pretty effective intheir roles. You can alwsy match Prust-Moen-WHite against someone if it gets nasty.

• vegas says:

i dont even think we need a call up
            who would you sit? White? Bournival?
            I really don’t think either deserves it

The main problem is Briere and where he would fit in

chucky – Eller – gally
            ??? – Plekanec – Gionta
            Prust – Desharnais – Bourque
            Moen – Bournival – White – Briere

Bourque or Bournival can slot in and adjust the rest accordingly
            Issue is youc ant play Briere and Desharnais together or else there would be issue at all

• shiram says:

Habs say they’ll have word out tomorrow, so no sense in fretting untill then.
      Probably have to wait on scanner results or some other such thing.

57. JUST ME says:

It was not meant to be with that Drewiske guy. Sometimes stuff happens i guess…
    I too hope Max Pac is O.K. but it did not look good yesterday. I am more optimistic, optimisticker ? even if we miss Max in the lineup cause we have a few other players that took over this season. But it`s a team thing. The kids are great but others have to contribute as well and we have quite a few that can pinch in.

• Timo says:

The fact that Habs will provide an update tomorrow, pretty much rules him out of the game. Have to hope that no surgery required, but he just didn’t look good being helped of the ice like that.

58. BJ says:

Bergevin was correct in stating “You never have too many defensemen”. The season has just started and already on the ropes from last year and continuing into this year Emelin, Murray, Drewiske. Thats 50% of a normal trio of defense pairings.

59. oldtimerguy says:

what? drewiske’s hurt? there goes the playoffs…say goodbye to the cup….

60. oldtimerguy says:

a) drewiske is NOT news…suivant next.

b) if we cant win without paccioretty, then we are nowhere close to being a bona fide NHL playoff contender…

c) DD looked awesome last night …had his wingers converted his gems, he would have been close 3rd in team scoring this morning. The guy is absolutely worth keeping and all the negative hysteria about him here has been totally without foundation. I will take on ANYONE about dd and his usefulness to this team, past and present. The ONLY issue for most here is that he is French….which as an anglo, I have to say, is as bad as the French in this city demanding we have more French players on this team regardless of their level of talent….it cuts both ways people…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good post, otg, and agree about DD (and your language reversal parallel is perfect) except I haven’t seen enough to allay the fear and incredulity I developed last season over how much time he had on the PP. If PP time is to be more meritocratic, I’m hoping to see DD earn every second. No more free pass.

• UnkleGary says:

I think the biggest question with DD is where he fits in on this team in the next few years, with Eller, Chucky and Pleks. He doesn’t really fit in as a 4th line centre. I think DD is a good, one dimensional centre, but showed last night that when he competes he can be more than that, which I guess is a good problem to have, to many good centers.
      I think the French thing comes into play because of MBs two biggest, in my opinion, blunders are the DD and Briere contracts. I don’t like the 4 years of DD, and feel like Briere was the wrong type of FA signing. I don’t think it’s a French thing, but I can definitely see how it might be seen as that.

CH-eers!

• oldtimerguy says:

what’s the fit for the next few yrs is solved easily..you trade pleks along with the other vets(gio, moen, bourque, markov, bouillon retires, briere)…why? we are not winning the cup in the next 2-3 yrs…by which time pleks is 34-35 and the others older……and all will be worth a lot less than now…this years deadline is the time too trade pleks and others to continue to transition the lineup and build for the future.

• krob1000 says:

you need vets in any Cup winning lineup. Guys like Pleks, Markov and Gionta are all great vets to have as well. Then after you win….when the kids want a big raise for winning…then you make room by not signing those guys again. You need keey vets to win though and all of those 3 are key vets who could be big parts this year or next anyway.

• oldtimerguy says:

you miss my point…we are not winning anytime soon(nxt 2-3 yrs) WITH these vets…by the time the younger guys know how to win, these vets wont be as good as they are now and they wont be worth as much. Now is the time to deal them.

I do however agree with you that you need vets to win the cup..that’s a given…and so logically, in a few yrs time, when we are ready to make a run, when our young guys have learned to win and are at that point really young vets, we will have the cap space to go and sign the slightly older vets we need at that point, vets who will be 31,32 yrs old…not gio, markov, pleks who will all be 34-35 and older…

• bwoar says:

With my Anglo Rage I denounce thee! DD is never going to be a *real* boy !

“thoroughbred”

• J_P says:

The problem with DD is the term he was given. Considering his season last year, there was absolutely no urgency for Bergevin to sign him to that extension mid-season. He was only RFA at seasons end, not UFA, and was having a terrible year.

Bergevin sticks to his guns and signs PK to a bridge (which is now going to cost us at least $7.5 million a year for probably 8 years), yet gives DD 4 years at $3.5 million per season.

The way I see it, would any team in the league have traded for DD and then signed him to that extension? No. Freakin. Way.

Therefore, it was a stupid signing.

Also, the responses below are completely valid. Where does DD fit in on this team in the next few years? Id rather have pleks at 5 then DD at 3.5. Id rather have galchenyuk playing center then on the wing, and Eller has clearly passed DD on the depth chart.

Bottom line, DD is completely wasted cap space. Im not saying hes a bad player. Hes just a small center on an already small team, and we just dont need him.

61. Stevie.Ray says:

I’m a fan of Drewiske and hope he gets better soon.

62. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Mike Bone (previous thread re relentlessineptitude)

Hey Mike! You are SO RIGHT about spending an hour composing a post! But so WRONG about the anatomical reference of your clever pseudonym.

Therefore, in your honour, I’ve confined myself to just 12 seconds for this post in which I’m outting your actual eponymous body part:

Head.

As in Richard.

Keep the great and oh so economical posts flowing!

(oops. 14 seconds. Ah well)

Re the poll question. Really? Habs are paying 4M per for 49 points? That’s fantastic. And that’s a big IF.

Bergevin sure knows how to pick them. One after another. Great job, Mr. Bergevin

• Maksimir says:

C’mon..seriously? The guy got injured and was only picked up as a spare part, not the resurrection of Chris Chelios.

You are truly the smart one here Timo, if only our GM’s would consult with you on every move….

No really Timo, you are so way ahead of the curve it is unbelievable. I imagine your stock portfolio also performs impeccably, I actually can’t believe you still choose to work.

• oldtimerguy says:

Timo spelled backwards is really the perfect advice for readers here…OMIT anything he says…its all junk…omit couldn’t manage a bantam aa team….

• Ron says:

Burly, if your ever in Calgary and want some advise in life from Timo you can most likely find him 3 or more days a week at 2580 32 Street NE, Calgary. You may have to sign in at the door though.

• Timo says:

The 2 stocks I do have perform quite well, thank you.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

oldtimer,
          Good spot on the reverse spelling! If you’re the first of all Timo detractors to spot that — and I’m aware of no precedent — then it’s quite amazing. And really good. (There’s probably an equally punishing anagram possible from the letters of MY name…)

However — and you know he’s going to be blushing — I have to state that I love Timo.

(And Burli, you and T go way back, right? Pre-virtual acquaintance?)

• Timo says:

I think there used to be a poster with the “omit” handle. Could be same person as Tomi who pops up once in a while. Who knows.

I am blushing and I also do get all tingly, Mike. I think hugs are in order, if only, virtual.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Notice I felt no need to defend you. You are as impervious to attack as the Death Star if Luke misses the ventilation shaft.

(Not in front of the virtual guys, Timo)

• yakhab says:

I’ll read Timo’s posts ANYTIME over yours !
            I’m sure I’m not the only one who likes to be amused !

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’d answer back except I’m recalling that you are 6’6 300lb.

65. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Enough with the “kick me” sign HIO ers are posting on Drewiske’s back. He was signed as cheap insurance for a bottom pairing, NHL ready player.

“Steaming in the Pressbox” … cracker please! … He was signed because he wouldn’t say sh!t if he had a mouthful. He is a character guy who works his butt off and is team first.

Yes he is the defenceman version of Mike Blunden but so what …. he came here as fodder and now he is LTI. He didn’t come here like an ordinary Superstar from Nebraska, so take your petulant jabs and shove them.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

66. DeadEnd says:

Saw this headline on tsn.ca and was worried they were talking about Pacioretty.

67. Habitforming says:

Any news on Patches and what his injury actually is?

68. Cal says:

I noticed Drewiske during training camp trying to be more physical. Guess he just ain’t built for it. Bad signing. Waste of money.

• Hobie Hansen says:

And that’s that eh Cal?

• Cal says:

Yup. Never could understand MB getting another marshmallow to play D for the Habs when Diaz and Weber were already in Montreal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Drewiske costs next to nothing. I don’t think there’s a single fan or member of the Canadiens organization that is the slightest bit concerned about picking him up.

• johnnylarue says:

I don’t think he’s good enough to play in the NHL. Therefore, a waste of cap space.

There, I said it.

• johnnylarue says:

I didn’t get the signing either. And I know it’s among the most trivial moves of Bergevin’s career as GM, but TWO YEARS!? Does not compute.

• shiram says:

Yeah the 2 years is the real kicker here.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The two years does not matter in the long run. His salary can be taken off the cap by him being sent down to Hamilton, it’s that small an amount. Or he’ll be claimed on waivers on the way down. Either way, he is not a cap consideration at all.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thanks for clarifying that UCe.

• shiram says:

I think so too, the guy was hired to sit in the press box basically, and now he won’t even be able to do that.
      Does anyone figure this guy to play ahead of Tinordi or Beaulieu anytime soon? I don’t.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Actually yes – the signing of Drewiske was precisely to let Tinordi and Beaulieu develop.

Subban – Markov
        Gorges – Diaz
        Murray – Frank B

Emelin in December …

So Drewiske was the guy who was going to sit and sit and sit and then when Emelin came back, sit even longer but still be ready to go if needed.

And Hamilton would have Tinordi and Beaulieu to log 24 minutes a game and learn.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

69. John Q Public says:

D’oh

70. sailordan1964 says:

How’s george p doing?

71. krob1000 says:

Going to Montreal tomorrow..how do I find an old post where Mattyleg gave me directions to lionel groulx station on Atwater and how to get back to 401 w after? I can’t seem to find the old post.

heading from Kingston…..they were really siple but google and mapquest want to take on weird routes. Last time I srtayed on 401 until atwater

• John Q Public says:

2 highways cross the island.
      40 T-can
      20 VilleMarie
      Take the 20.

• krob1000 says:

so 20 directly to atwater right..turn there and park near station lionel groulx ..correct? or do I have to take exit 2 to get to atater..I thought Atwater was its own exit

• Mattyleg says:

I’m here!

Yes, you get off the 20 (the Ville Marie at that stage) at the Atwater exit, and turn left at the second set of lights (can’t turn left on the first).

That’s St. Jacques. Park anywhere near the Lionel Groulx metro station, and take the orange line to Lucien L’allier.

Bingo.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Woohoo….now getting out you had me go No to rene levesque correct! It was so easy going that way last time..

• habcertain says:

there is an entrance right beside the montreal children’s hospital on rene levesque.

• Chuck says:

401 turns into the 20 when you cross into Quebec. Follow the 20 onto the 720. Bear right onto the Atwater exit. Hang a left on Saint-Jacques. A few blocks down will be Atwater and Lionel-Groulx Metro Station.

_______________________
      Anything is possible.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

401 becomes the 20 which becomes the 720. You take the Atwater exit which comes down Rosa de Lima. You turn left on St. Jacques and Lionel Groulx metro is right at corner of Atwater and St. J.

Are you going to hop on the metro there? Where are you leaving your car?

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• krob1000 says:

we took Metro last time and some guy let us park in his company lot..if I park on the street and the sign says no parking after 10:30 pm will I get a ticket or towed? I was planning orn parking on the st there is there a better option?is there a lot right there

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Ticket. Not towed. You can park on Notre Dame or Atwater or the Atwater Market. Pay the meter til 9. Then it’s free. Do not go further than Atwater, though. Everyone looks for parking close to the Bell.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Mattyleg says:

You should also be able to park on St. Jacques on the left side, before Atwater.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Btw, unless you are in a rush, or it is raining, you can easily walk to the Bell from Lionel Groulx. Walk east along Notre Dame thru Griffintown. Very funky, fun area. Then turn left at Mountain and walk up the hill. 15-20 minute walk.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Matty: true but then you are competing with parking for Nora Grey. Not so easy since it opened.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Bripro says:

Krob, where are you coming in from?
      If you’re coming from the 401, heading east, you’re better to get off at the exit for the new highway 30 ( exit 29 ). Get onto highway 30 est. NOTE: There’s a $1 toll.
      This highway will take you all the way to the exit for the Champlain bridge, highway 15N. ( Exit 67 ) Take that exit, and you will cross the Champlain bridge.
      Once across, take the Atwater exit. You will end up on Saint Patrick street which will take you directly to Atwater.
      Turn left on Atwater, then turn left on Lionel Groulx.
      You will have arrived at the Lionel Groulx metro station.

This route will save you from travelling across highway 40, highway 20 (which are both under heavy construction) and coming across the Champlain, you’ll get a great view of downtown.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Convoluted and utterly unnecessary.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Bripro says:

Convoluted?
          How often do you travel?
          I take that road twice a week.
          It’ll save him 45 minutes at least.
          Would you rather he waste his time in traffic?

• Mattyleg says:

I just wouldn’t go all the way down to St. Patrick; turn left on St. Jacques and he can park anywhere around there, or go south on Atwater and find parking around there.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

That works too Matt. I just figured the Atwater exit is right there, so it would be easier.
            If he wants to head straight onto the Ville Marie (hwy 720) and take the Bell Ctr exit, drive down to Notre Dame and park down there.
            I always find parking, and it’s free. No need for the metro.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

A. Taking the Champlain is never recommended. Especially at that time of day! Always lane closures.
            B. Even if you get across, the exits are very confusing for non-locals. And then so too is navigating back up into the city.
            C. Why get off the 20? The traffic is flowing out of the city then. Coming in is a breeze.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Dunboyne Mike says:

don’t mind admitting: terrible, terrible bout of homesickness reading these directions…
      (*sigh*)

• JF says:

It was the game you came to with your son. Look up the date and you should be able to find the right thread.

72. Mustang says:

Let’s hope this is not the beginning of another epidemic.