Canadiens Hall of Famer Jacques Plante, the 1950s innovator of the face mask. He’s part of our Canadiens goalie gallery below.
David Bier Studios, Gazette files
Canadiens goalie Carey Price took delivery of his new pads and gloves on Monday, the fifth set of pads he’ll wear this season and ones that are guaranteed to cause a stir among goalies everywhere. You’ll find that story here.
So we thought it would be timely to sift through our files to show you a number of Montreal netminders through the years – from Georges Vézina through Price. Enjoy the tour!
All photos from Montreal Gazette, Star and Herald files, unless otherwise indicated:
1. Georges Vézina, early 1900s.
2. George Hainsworth, late 1920s.
3. Claude Bourque, 1930s. Rice Studios
4. Wilf Cude, 1930s. Note the skates drying atop the radiator, with the elbow pads stitched into the longjohn top.
5. Ambidextrous Bill Durnan, wearing "trappers" on both hands, 1940s. Rice Studios
6. Jacques Plante, 1950s. Classic Collectibles
7. Gump Worsley, 1960s.
8. Gump Worsley (left) and Charlie Hodge, mid-1960s.
9. Rogatien Vachon, late 1960s.
10. Ken Dryden, 1970s. Denis Brodeur, NHLI via Getty Images
11. Patrick Roy, early 1990s.
12. Gerry McNeil, 1953 Stanley Cup champion, compares his equipment with that of José Theodore, 2004.
13. Carey Price with Canada’s gold medal-winning world juniors, 2007.
14. Carey Price in action this season.