Draft week begins

Galchenyuk
Start the countdown.
Four more sleeps before Friday.
And then, after we all wake up, about 12 hours until the Canadiens make a draft choice that culd jump-start the franchise.

There are no Sidney Crosby available in the 2012 junior crop, no players guaranteed to become superstars.

But there are promising prospects; and the Canadiens, picking third overall, should be able to grab  a very-good-with-gusts-to-great player.

Pat Hickey has been assesing the top prospects in The Gazette this week.

Here are Pat’s takes on:

• Consensus top prospect Nail Yakupov, who probably won’t be there at 3.

Ryan Murray, the top defence prospect … and a longshot to be picked by the Canadiens, even if he’s available. General manager Marc Bergevin says he’ll draft the best player available, but the Canadiens have gone D for two straight drafts, with Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu.

Filip Forsberg, widely touted as the safest pick in the draft … but not the most spectacular.

At HIO, we’ve been touting the virtues of Alex Galchenyuk, whom we see as the Canadiens’ chance to hit a home run with the third pick.

TSN, which will telecast the first round of the draft live from Pittsburgh, beginning at 7 p.m. on Friday, has Forsberg third in its final rankings.

Bob McKenzie, who knows his stuff, describes Forsberg as “a big strong guy with a tremendous shot, a love of phsyical play and capable of playing the hard, pro-style grinding game.”

That’s great, but the Canadiens need the next Anze Kopitar, not an upgrade on Travis Moen.

Their perennial quest for a big centre could motivate the Canadiens to draft Mikhail Grigorenko, who certainly will be available at 3 because the Quebec Remparts star has sunk like a stone on many draft boards.

The kid is huge and highly-skilled. But there are concerns about Grigorenko’s compete level and the possibility he’ll end up at home, playing in the KHL.

The last great Russian playing for Patrick Roy in Quebec City was Alexander Radulov. ‘Nuff said.

1. GenerationYHabs says:

If Edmonton is as desperate for defense as people make them out to be then wouldn’t trading them weber our 3rd and possibly Ellis make sense to them? They can then still pick Murray at 3rd and gain 2 prospects and we get an NHL ready talent in Yakupov.

2. That's-Hockey says:

Can’t wait for this draft to be over so MB can make some moves to improve the team. gotta get rid of so many 4th liners
    White, Geoffrion, Palushaj, Staubitz, Darche, Nokelainen, Blunden, Engqvist and the one and only Gomez how would you like to be a new manager with those headaches – good luck MB.

• RobertAlanFord says:

White stays, Geoffrion stays, engqvist is already gone back to Sweden, Palushaj is probably not going to have a shot at the NHL anytime soon. Gomez will most likely be bought out and Staubitz a big welcome for the lack of grit in the lineup at the time. Same goes for White. Nokelainen and Darche are done. Expect to see Darche in the front office within the next couple of years.

3. Rad says:

It will be Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Forsberg in a Habs jersey on Friday night, the beginning of the road back to respectability for a once great but recently mediocre franchise.

• Bill H says:

Yes, Galchenyuk or Forsberg is a big leap forward for the team. But calling the ’11-’12 Habs mediocre is being overly sympathetic, don’t you think? On the other hand, if you are referring to 1 win short of an appearance in the Stanley Cup final, or 1st overall in the Eastern Conference, mediocre doesn’t really fit either.

4. ooder says:

Whatever happens I am sure Timmins and bergy have it figured out. Unlike pg who thought a little to highly of himself I am sure these 2 coordinate and have contingency plans. Also despite our horrid management it’s amazing how this team stayed afloat thanks a lot to Timmins drafting .

5. rated_R says:

Mayyynee, people who include Price in their fantasy trade, do me a favor and punch yourself in the face.

6. punkster says:

Off to the cottage for the week so just thought I’d leave my draft predictions before heading out. No access to media during that time.
    – our pick will be the best available at that position
    – our pick will be disapproved of by over 35% of respondents to the next poll question
    – our pick will be the cause argumentative meltdowns by a minimum of 4 posters in the coming days

Swimmin’, fishin’ and hikin’ baby…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. Kooch7800 says:

CANADIENS ADD DUFRESNE, RIENDEAU AND MOREAU TO STAFF
    The Montreal Canadiens announced Wednesday that the club has hired former Habs defenceman Donald Dufresne as assistant coach and Vincent Riendeau as goaltending consultant with the Montreal Canadiens AHL affiliate team in Hamilton. The team also confirmed the hiring of Ethan Moreau as part time professional scout for the NHL’s Western Conference.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

8. Newf_Habster says:

Two more sleeps until NHL Draft Day!

Now I am putting Pierre McGuire on blacklist along with Eklund, The_Creasy and hockeyinsiderr.

That is why I am happy that PM is not our Habs GM!

• pmaraw says:

1 more sleep till Canada’s Wonderland!!!! have you seen their new rollercoaster? leviathan? that draft will be here before… I know it lolol

9. pmaraw says:

so, how long till the leafs are called ‘Rogers Leafs on Sportsnet’??? I say the start of next season.

10. RobertAlanFord says:

If the Habs do make a move on draft day it should fill that empty spot with Plekanec and Gionta. Perry? Then Anaheim can keep Ryan. Eriksson? Everyone has an idea of what winger is the best to trade for and the posts can go back and forth on that alone but I think everyone does agree that the Habs do need a top six winger.

We’ll get into the D situation some other time.

The big news is ,— there isn’t any until Friday night!

Soaking in my pool all day today. At 10:30am the air temp is already over 85F and the humidity is dense.

• habsfan0 says:

Good morning, Ian.

Any details on the BBQ?

And is it true that Don Cherry and Kirk Muller will be attending?

• Ian Cobb says:

I am thinking towards the end of the summer might be the time for a corn boil and b,b q, and I may have the Summit game tickets by then.
        I think Kirk might be working in Hurricane country by then. And Cherry’s thong swim trunks would hurt my neighbors eyes me thinks.
        But maybe Boone’s McGill trunks and strut around the pool may work.

What would you pay to get Brandon Prust on the Habs.

Larry Brooks seems to think he wont resign in NewYork, or at least will test UFA market first.

• Hobie Hansen says:

As a UFA he’ll get $2.5 mill or $3 mill per season. Thin market.

Moen will get $2 mill or $2.5 mill. In my estimates.

Would sure be nice to have both those players on our roster wouldn’t it Hobie!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yes it would. I just edited my original comment and lowered my guess at what Prust will get by a tad. Might still be a bit high but I think a lot of teams would love him for their 3rd line. Or a stacked 4th line.

Same goes for Moen.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Actually going back for a 3rd time, my edited asking price for Prust is still probably high. He was only making $800,000.00 last season. I thought he was at $1.5 mill and had a bit more of a scoring touch to go along with his toughness. I stand corrected.

He really is another version of Moen who scraps more often. Someone will really overpay for him. Come to think of it, I can see BUrke backing up a truck to his house full of money to have Prust play for Carlyle.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Prust’s brain might not always be in the right place but his heart is. He’s gone after Lucic a few times when the Bruins have leaned on the Rangers. He’s got the snot beat out of him each time but at least he’s got the stones. ;-).

• RobertAlanFord says:

Prust for 2.5 tops.

• Ozmodiar says:

Rupp money.

• shiram says:

If Habs move on Prust, it’s because they figure he can be relied on for a few years as a bottom trio center. That means at least some term, at least 3 years.
      Maybe 7 millions over 3 years?

• That's-Hockey says:

the price for Brandon Prust – what ever you pay a guy for scoring 7-8 goals a year

13. habsfan0 says:

Since we’re engaging in draft speculation, I thought I’d make my feelings known:

Habs trade Carey Price to Edmonton for their #1 pick.

Habs draft Nail Yakupov with that selection.

Habs then draft Malcolm Subban with the #3 selection.

While Subban at number 3 might seem to be overpaying, I believe he has arguably as much potential as Carey Price did when he was selected at number 5, although, like Price, there will be growing pains as he matures.

• shiram says:

Heh no, might as well keep the goalie we have that has proven he can handle full #1 goalie duties, and keep our pick. To me the difference between Yak and his fellow draftees is not enough to warrant taking a risk on an unproven goalie, that probably won’t make the NHL for a couple years.

• chanchilla says:

and whos gonna play goalie for the 5 years itll take subban to be ready?

• Mad Habber says:

If they Habs were to trade Price for #1..Then why not trade the pair of seconds plus a prospect for a pick later in the first round. That way they can take Yakupov, and hopefully Galchyenuk then select Malcom with the later pick.

14. shiram says:

Are we still talking about Mcguire, really?
    He’s not the Habs GM, and he will continue to spout weird stuff on his soap box, but that’s how it works, being weird/outrageous works on TV, see Don Cherry.

15. Mad Habber says:

On the Pierre McGuire trade comments:

He did indeed say Edmonton should call Bergevin and asked for Subban and the 3rd Overall pick.

Duthie ask him “Do you really think Montreal would trade Subban and the third overall pick for number one?”

McGuire said, no Edmonton would have to add something. So he really wasn’t being as ridiculous as he normal is.

16. Ozmodiar says:

Ozmodiar’s mock draft top 5:

1) Edm: Yakupov
    2) Clb: Forsberg
    3) Mtl: Galchenyuk
    4) NYI: Murray
    5) Tor: Who fcuking cares?!

17. RobertAlanFord says:

So Karlsson gets 6.5m per year over seven years. If we use that as a model for PK’s contract, having just under half the numbers Karlsson did in the regular season, he’s probably good for a 3 for 3 deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s only a one year contract either. He would no doubt want to prove what everyone thinks he’s capable of now that the leash is longer and talk long term next summer.

• shiram says:

Can’t base salary only on points, PK does alot more on the ice than Karlsson does, but points are always a major factor. I think he gets something from 3.75millions to 4.5millions.

• habs11s says:

He’ll probably sign for 2 years or so in order to increase his worth and then go long term

I’d be really happy to pay 4.5 for Subban but he’ll probably ask for 5.5 or so …

_____________________________________________________________

Based on that comparitive to judge a players worth, would you trade PK straight up for Tobias Enstrom, given he gets more points than PK?

• RobertAlanFord says:

No and that’s not the point.

Okay, but I think one can argue PK plays a better defensive and physical game than Karlsson. I don’t think PK gets Karlsson money on this contract, but he is worth more than half of Karlsson’s salary is my point. I think he will get between 4-5.5 depending on term.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Subban was pretty much relied on to shut down the other teams’ top lines and I believe he and Gorges did quite well. Definitely better physically than Karlsson, no question there. It was almost all the other pairings that let the team down. Still optimistic about Emelin (and Diaz to a lesser extent). I hope Markov regains his old form – it’s not like he’s 40 yet!

18. steve17 says:

I think if the Habs make a trade , it should be with Anaheim for Ryan. I would use Pleks, Bournival and Weber as a package.

As far as the draft, my first choice would be Galchenyuk, if he is gone at 3rd, then Forsberg.

In the 2nd round, I would take Kerdiles, then Emil Lundberg, if they have drafted Forsberg, or Zharkov if they have drafted Galchnyuk.
    If they draft Galenchuk and Zharkov and play them with Avtsin, they could name them the A to Z line

Habfan17

19. New says:

This rule has game 1, 2012-13 season, Gorges, 2 minutes, written all over it:
    67.2 now reads “any time a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed for closing his hand on the puck.When this is done in his own team’s goal crease area, a penalty shot shall be assessed (67.4) or a goal awarded (67.5). A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who, while play is in progress, picks up the puck off the ice with his hand.

Followed immediately by a 2 min bench and game misconduct to a coach.

20. commandant says:

Trading Subban today would be repeating the mistake of trading Chelios 20 years ago.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• rogieshan says:

If we had gotten Denis Savard in his prime rather than past it, then maybe that trade doesn’t look half as bad today. And let’s not forget, although he was injured in the finals, we did win the Cup with Savard.

I like Subban. I hope he matures into the great player he’s capable of.

• steve17 says:

There were reasons that Chelios was traded!

Habfan17

• Strummer says:

Chelios was a problem-child party boy, one of many on the team that was part of a house-cleaning.

Sometimes situations demand actions be taken that make the talent disparity between the 2 principles of secondary importance.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

21. Habsrule1 says:

Wow. I’m blown away by those of you who think McGuire should not be a GM cause he said Tambellini should ask for Subban in a trade for the #1 draft pick. From what I’m interpreting, he’s just saying the pick should not really be traded unless someone over-ffered for it.
    I hope to get clarification from McGuire himself today, but I seriously doubt he pulls the trigger on that deal as GM of the Habs. As GM of the Oilers, he definitely does.
    And guess what? He was 2nd choice after Bergevin, so give your heads a shake if you think he’s not a very competent hockey guy.

Go Habs Go!!

• Strummer says:

I agree. Evaluating McGuire’s abilty to be a GM based on a fantasy draft is in itself a fantasy.

If he said “If I were Edmonton..” it’s from the perspective that it would be good deal for them. It doesn’t mean Habs would agree.
      That’s the art of the deal- make an offer that works for you by dangling a juicy carrot like the #1 overall to a team that’s desperate to hit a home run in the draft.
      I’d do it too if I were the Ollers.
      Also if I were the Habs I would probably pass.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• issie74 says:

I watched that show and McGuirre said “the habs should be on the phone with Tambellini and offer Suban and their third round pick pick for the Oilers first”

My daughter said “OK Pierre has to stop talking if he wants a GM job”

JOHO.

NorthTOHab

22. habs11s says:

IMO Forsberg is a steady pick but I just don’t feel he has that game changing aspect to his game. We need to draft a game changer with our 3rd pick…
    _____________________________________________________________

23. novahab says:

Mr. Pierre Mcguire you wonder why the phone does not ring for a NHL job. This is because you are a complete idoit. You went on national TV, and suggest that MB trade PK Subban, and the 3rd pick to Edmonton for thier first. I can’t believe people on here wanted you for our GM. There is no way you should be anywhere near hockey. This has to be the most stupid thing, that has been said on TV since Bettman claimed it was a hockey play.

Don Cherry, Glenn Healey, Mike Milbury and company have said plenty of stupid things inbetween as well. These are TV personalities doing what they can to remain relevant, and more often than not it seems saying outlandish things is keeping them relevant.

• habs03 says:

I HATE McGuire so much, but he didn’t suggest MB should do that trade. He said if he was the Oilers GM he would call the Habs and ask for that. Completely different. But I get your point, that is what he basically does all the time.

• ABHabsfan says:

By suggesting that Tambellini ask for that trade would indicate that is a legitimate trade, whereas I think we all agree that it is ridiculous. Should MB call up the Sens and offer to switch picks if the Sens throw in Turris? Both those propositions have about equal chance of happening, for a GM candidate like Macguire to even suggest it makes me glad we have MB pulling the strings

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habsrule1 says:

He said it. He didn’t really say it was a legitimate trade. I think many people here take everything too literal, and even personal.
          I’m still hoping for clarification from the horse’s mouth, but from what I’m reading here, he just threw it out in a way to say that Edmonton should ask a huge price if someone wants that pick.
          I think many of you are grasping at this to denigrate McGuire more than you already have.
          When you get 2 interviews for a GM job, tell us how dumb all the other candidates are.

Go Habs Go!!

Hankhardball raises an interesting question as it pertains to possible bias from the league towards U.S. Teams. While I don’t believe there is a clear agenda by the league to help U.S. teams, it is no secret that Bettman has gone well beyond the call of duty in order to keep franchises in the U.S. from moving to other cities, which currently there is an appetite from Cdn. cities due to the value of U.S. dollar compared to Canadian.

But there is one huge difference between Cdn. cities and U.S. cities. That is the fans appetite for a constant winner, thus the pressure for the Cdn. teams to always show some success.

In Montreal and Toronto the fans essentially refuse to accept a full 5 year rebuild that a team like Pittsburgh and Chicago went through. Granted the Leafs should have done so, since their results were similar, but they didn’t reap the rewards of it since Burke traded away the 2 highest picks that team would have had in a long while.

But I do believe the pressure from the passionate Cdn fans is harder on mgmt than the pressure from American fans in general.

Take L.A. Kings for example, they toiled for a few years, then underachieved for a few years all the while no huge fan revolts, and if there were it pales in comparison to the type of revolts we see in Montreal.

At the end, L.A. is successful in building their winning team, and now the fans of L.A. jump from the L.A. Lakers and become Kings fans since the team is contender and eventually champion.

It takes extremely strong ownership with smart management to keep Cdn. fans excited about the growth of their team and be patient that the team is going in the right direction.

Lets hope the current Montreal Ownership and Mgmt don’t make the mistakes of the past few regimes who tried to bypass building through a draft etc.. and rather make questionable trades in an effort to save face in the playoffs that same season.

• Chuck says:

Ah yes, the Brian Burke reminder of why the Habs should never consider trading away their 3rd pick… unless it’s to move up. Even then, the price would probably be to high.

___________________________________________________

25. rogieshan says:

Not suggesting this could happen, but what about this fantasy scenario:

Scott Gomez, Rene Bourque, Tomas Kaberle & Yannick Weber to Van for Roberto Luongo and Keith Ballard (two teams exchanging bad contracts, but Habs get immediate cap relief)

Habs then trade Carey Price to Edmonton for No. 1 pick (Habs draft Nail Yakupov)

Habs select Alex Galchenyuk with No. 3 pick.

Habs flip their two 2nd-round picks this year to Tampa for its 19th overall pick (Habs select Mikhail Grigorenko)

Habs create the dynamic, Russian juggernaut: the Y2G line

• chanchilla says:

if this were possible why not shoot luongo to edm instead of price :D

• K-hab25 says:

How about we trade Subban to EDM for Yakupov, draft Galchenyuk and if he falls far enough, trade up for Grigorenko.

• rogieshan says:

I’d take that. But, in reality, we know trading either Price or Subban would upset the fan base even more than the Halak deal. Not sure if Molson would approve of such an idea.

• steve17 says:

Habfan17

26. HankHardball says:

Gary Bettman became Commissioner of the NHL on Feb.01,1993. That same year was the last time a Canadian based team won the Stanley Cup.

By law of averages, if 6 of 30 teams are Canadian, even though Winnipeg now makes it 7 of 30, during the 18 full seasons of NHL hockey under which Bettman has been Commissioner, there should have been at least 3 Canadian Stanley Cup winners. There have actually been zero.

In most pro sports, teams that are financially successful, are more successful competitively. Not so in the NHL.
    Since the hard salary cap started after the 2005 lockout, 4 Canadian teams have been more financially positive than 4 of the 7 US based teams that won the Stanley Cup in those 7 years.

Is there a US bias under Gary Bettman’s regime? Or have the Americans become better at putting an NHL team together than Canadians?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The law of averages doesn’t win cups. Come to think of it, neither do the Leafs, Canucks or Senators which really throws those statistics out the window. :D

• HankHardball says:

You didn’t answer my question. Is there a US bias? Or are Americans better than Canadians?

Because in other sports, money wins championships.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No I made a joke. Americans make teams, made up of a large majority of Canadian players, successul. If all it was about was money, the Leafs would have more banners.

Well lets see, Jeremy Jacobs owner of the Bruins, Ed Snyder owner of the Flyers and ownership group of the Rangers are widely held to be the three most important/powerful owners in the league. Jacobs himself is the person responsible for Bettmans current contract.

Having said that, only 2 times have any of that “Threesome” won a Cup.

It is an interesting dynamic you bring up. However, you have to remember for many of those years the US Dollar was killing the loonie, thus crippling many of the Cdn teams, including the Habs.

• Lafleurguy says:

Neighbor, you beat me at making the salient point of a weak Canadian dollar! I would bet you saw the sound byte on D prospect Morgan Reilly’s
            torn R ACL suffered in November, surgically repaired, and Reilly returning to action for the Moose Jaw Warriors in February that aired on TSN.
            “May you live in interesting times.”

• HankHardball says:

US taxes are about 15% lower than Canada. That means a $75 million hard cap for American teams, is actually about $64 million for Canadian teams.

Which means the playing field isn’t level under a hard cap system.

• HankHardball says:

And all player salaries are in US dollars, BTW.

• Ozmodiar says:

I’d agree with you if winning the cup was a random event. But, it isn’t. So, I don’t.

• ABHabsfan says:

I agree that seems to be some bias, but also consider that these American based teams are actually run by Canadian-born management. I don’t pretend to know all the home-countries of all GMs but Luke Robitaille and Hextall are Canadian, as are Brian Murray, Dale Tallon, Mario Lemieux, Peter Ciarelli, Ken Holland, Mike Gillis, Doug Wilson, Glen Sather to name a few.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• habs-fan-84 says:

Who cares what city the team comes from. Every team (including players and management) in the NHL is composed of a majority of Canadians anyway, making your point moot.

• Lafleurguy says:

A major factor in the era mentioned was the weak Canadian dollar which bottomed out at about $0.62. This economic factor alone lead to the demise of the Barry Shenkarow Jets, and the Marcel Aubut Nordiques and put all Canadian teams EXCEPT the Leafs in jeopardy. Corporate wheeler-dealer George Gillette kept the Habs solvent but did not provide funding for free agent signings like the Leafs had (Belfour, Leetch, Nolan, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Joseph, Mogilny, Andreychuk, others). Bettman and his cronies are not clever enough to weaken the Canadian teams’ odds. The bigger economic picture simply works against the weaker corporate branches at different times (weak Canadian dollar, lack of TV and media revenues)>

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HankHardball says:

At least 3, probably 4, of the Canadian teams are among the most financially successful teams in the NHL.

And Canadian management is just as competent as US management. Guys like Gainey can win a Cup in Dallas, but can’t do squat here.

So, if there’s no US bias, how do you explain Canadian teams can’t even reach the law of averages?

• K-hab25 says:

Yes, yes, yes, the paranoid Canadian hockey fan, who honestly believes Bettman, a glorified spokesman for the owners, is plotting against the Canadian teams. What does he or the NHL have to gain from that? I mean, you do realise until last year 80% of the teams are based in the US. Over the last 20 years the Habs, Laffs and Oil have been pretty mediocre teams, with a few exceptions. The Sens, Flames and Nucks have had there stretches of being contenders. They may not have won, but still 5 of the 6 teams have been to atleast the conference finals during those 20 years. They just didn’t get it done.

• Habsrule1 says:

Aren’t most of the GM’s and hockey personnel Canadian anyway?

Go Habs Go!!

27. BeachHabFan says:

forsberg sounds like 1 and a 1/4 mats naslunds; swedes do well in the nhl, so i’ll be happy with him but also fine with gyuk-gyuk. no defense pls unless you plan on trading them right after the draft.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Yeah Swedes do well but, Lidstrom and Zetterberg notwithstanding, they mostly do well for themselves on teams that don’t win.

• songles says:

I say draft the best available player, even if he is a D. There are worse problems in the world than having a bunch of talented D prospects coming up the pipe and competing for roster spots. It’s not like the Habs are swimming in great depth to begin with.

28. That's-Hockey says:

Be aware Galchenyuk is damaged goods, may never happen again
    who knows. just saying.

• steve17 says:

Most of the top rated prospects are damaged good this draft

Habfan17

• Caper says:

As was Rob Gronkowski of the NE Patriots two years ago. He dropped down in the draft big time. As Gerry from the Island used to say-Nuff said.

So which injury is worse the concussion that Yakupov took causing him to miss a few weeks which cannot be healed but rather just hope he doesn’t get many more, or the knee injury to Galchenyuk which can be surgically repaired but did cause him to miss almost a complete season.

FYI, he was pretty much the best overall physical rated player at combine, and the trainer at combine said his knee is a non issue based on how he has rehabbed/healed.

• Cal says:

Yakupov was concussed at the end of his season. Is he already done?

29. Thomas Le Fan says:

While it’s possible P.M. was only saying Edmonton should consider making this request, he never made it clear (and he should have) the volume of the laughter that inquiry would be met with in Montreal. I’m not a believer in Mr. Hindsight’s genius and he needs to clarify this “thinking” in order to preserve whatever credibility he’d like to maintain.

30. habs11s says:

Some possible legal troubles for Drew Doughty….
    _____________________________________________________________

• commandant says:

He was cleared already by the LAPD, who found no evidence of rape and said the woman lacked credibility.

The woman is a nut bar.

When interviewed, she wants his punishment for raping her to be “Doughty should lose the Stanley Cup.”

She claims she was in a bar of hundreds of people, Doughty hit on her, she rejected him… he picked her up kicking and screaming, carried her out the bar in front of everyone, stuffed her in a cab, took her to his house, forced her out of the cab and into the house, where he raped her.

She then says she went straight to the hospital to report the rape. Hospital staff found no evidence of forced sexual intercourse.

She sounds like a crazy stalker.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• habs11s says:

Thanks for the update, what a messed up crazy world we live in….

_____________________________________________________________

My understanding the D.A.’s office plans to drop all charges. Apparantly the credibility of the victim was not so good. But never good to be linked to a story like that.

I am a huge Steeler fan, and the first time Roethlisberger was involved in an incident similar, no charges stemmed etc., and so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. When more instances were brought forward, you then realize there is a pattern here. Despite my appreciation for what he does on the football field, I wished Pittsburgh had turfed Rapelessberger a couple years ago after the case in Georgia.

If I am L.A. Kings, I ensure this type of story never has a pattern develop.

31. likehoy says:

I’d trade the 3rd overall for Bobby Ryan straight up. 4 straight 30 goal seasons, can play left wing with Plekanec. Immediate size, skill and impact, a fair cap hit at 5.1m

throw in a prospect/player (kabs :( ) and a ducks 2nd or 3rd rounder and it’s a fair deal.

Here is link to TSN look for the media clip of Mock Draft and scroll to the very end (20 min. mark approx) and you can hear for yourself the pipe dream proposal by Pierre M.

• Cal says:

Just listened to the “If I am Steve Tambellini what would I need to trade that pick away” scenario. Obviously, by this time, the heat from the camera lights had begun to fry PM’s brain. He said PK + the Habs 3rd pick to give up the #1 pick. I’ve hear some whoppers in my time, but this one takes the cake. I have to qualify his reply with the fact that Duthie had asked Button and McGuire the question and they needed to fill air time. Still, my head shakes every time with the thought that this guy was a candidate for GM here. The mind boggles.

• Habsrule1 says:

So, he just said that’s what Edmonton should ask for? He didn’t say the Habs should do it?
        So, where’s the problem with that? Am I still missing something?

Go Habs Go!!

Paul the issue is that he raises this trade proposal as a realistic trade. It is all well and good that he is Speaking on behalf of Tambellini, but that doesn’t mean that Tambellini becomes braindead and actually expects Montreal to pay that price. It is another example of how PM gets away with preposterous statements, and never is held accountable.

• Strummer says:

Why does McGuire need to be accountable for perceived proposterous statements?

This was a mock draft for entertainment purposes- filling air time in the lead up to the draft. It’s another TSN over -the-top, over hyped vehicle like “Trade Deadline Day” and the “World Juniors”.

There is little entertainment value if everyone on the panel agrees and sticks to the rankings fron Central Scouting.

Judging PM’s ability to be a General manager based on fantasy drafts (this one and previous drafts) is also ridiculous.
            I’m sure the interview questions with the Habs were much more complex than this.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Okay, that is fine. So we then agree that the past 15 years (or whatever number it is) has done sweet dick all as far as preparing him to become a GM in this league.

So therefore the only resume he can produce for being a GM is his horrid record in Hartford and the handful of years he was a scout and video jockey for a couple NHL teams then.

I am fine for not holding him accountable, but the next time his name is in line for a GM position, no one can use his time spent mumbling on TV as anything positive towards becoming a GM.

• Habs_4_ever says:

Maybe this is why he didn’t get the job.

————————
        “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
        -This Old House, GMC commercial-

33. JohnBellyful says:

You just know the server’s going to crash from the hundreds of posts that will be coming in after Montreal makes its first pick on Draft Day. That’s why I’ve already drafted my comments on the draft and posted them now so I can sit back and take it easy Friday night. Remember, when it comes to the draft, it’s all about choice.

_______, Montreal! That was an _______ pick. MB, you deserve _______. The new guy gives the team what it’s _______ for years: _______. He guarantees the Canadiens will finish in the top _______ for the _______ sweepstakes!
    I’m looking forward to _______.

Congratulations
    Screw you

Inspired
    Outrageous

A medal
    A firing squad

lacked
    had

A superstar forward
    A subpar forward

Stanley Cup
    Nathan McKinnon

Next season
    The lockout

(I’m pretty confident that years from now, when HIO members look back to the 2012 draft, they’ll say ‘JB, I can’t believe how _______ you were with your _______.’)

Accurate
    Idiotic

Insights
    Drivel

Habs pick Galchenyuk

• New says:

Or the Oilers are serious and pick Murray, Columbus takes Forsberg, and Montreal fans cringe when Bob Mac says “Marc Bergevin and the Canadiens have gone completely off the board here…”

• nunacanadien says:

That would have been under Bob Gainey’s and Pierre Gauthier’s thinly kept secret of sabotaging the habs for a few million dollars of money, drafting small, trading small, thinking small. Now we are stuck thinking that way as fans. We think the wimpiest trickster with a stick and who can skate fast is a superstar, when in fact, all they are are wimps that no team wants. Thank you Gillette and Molson for selling out a dynasty, a history, much in the same way the Conservatives are selling off Canada to the rich.

35. Lafleurguy says:

Top powerplay stats:

1. Nashville – 21.6%
    2. San Jose – 21.1%
    3. Edmonton – 20.6%
    4. Vancouver – 19.8%
    5. Pittsburg – 19.7%
    10. Toronto – 18.4%
    28. Montreal – 14.3%
    30. Dallas – 13.5%

Having a good powerplay of course is a major asset. It is comparable to having all-star caliber players like Joe Thornton, Eric Stahl, or Ovechkin, in that there will be moments of great achievement, but there has to be more to the backbone of a successful team as Edmonton’s and Toronto’s stats bear out.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Strummer says:

It also requires NOT having Darche on the ice

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

36. twilighthours says:

Subban is the best player who is not a goaltender to wear a Habs’ jersey in 20 years. There are few players in the world for whom I would trade him. Nail Yakupov is not one of them. The “we could trade Subban” posts are – to me – the most annoying aspects of this otherwise wonderful website.

• Habsrule1 says:

Come on, Twilight. You’ve been here a while. Those are “the most annoying aspects”. I can mention about 10 subjects that were way more annoying.
      I won’t because I’d get to annoyed.

But your point is well taken.

Go Habs Go!!

• twilighthours says:

I’ve been here since near the beginning. It’s true.

I’m only half-joking with the “most annoying” stuff. But it’s pretty damn annoying.

What’s on your “most annoying” list?

• Habsrule1 says:

Not in any particular order:
          Gomez
          McDonagh
          Halak vs Price
          McGuire’s an idiot
          Gainey ruined the team
          Roy’s too hot-headed
          Trade PK
          I’ll stop there cause I’m getting annoyed.
          Note: This is mostly tongu-in-cheek as I encourage lively debate, and different opinions is what makes the site so good….most of the time.

Go Habs Go!!

• Lafleurguy says:

I think no one on the current roster is an untouchable. As most of Bob Gainey’s trades illustrated, (Gomez, Tanguay) the goal is to add value to the team, and not diminish it. Serge Savard made a horrendous move in giving up Desjardin, Leclair, and Dionne for Dr. Recchi, which I consider the worst Habs trade of all time. I advise against trading Subbie, but if what comes back is Yakupov one for one, I would consider it.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

Yakupov is no Subban. I’d consider it for a couple sconds, as well, but a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. Yakupov’s NHL success is an unkown right now while Subban plays 22 minutes+ per game against the best in the NHL.

• K-hab25 says:

Ya right along side Hal Gill his rookie year and Josh Gorges last year. I really wish you guys could come up with something better than he plays 22 minutes against the other teams best guys. Especially when it was Gorges and Gill who have been the guys playing against the other teams best guys. Subban got those minutes after Josh got hurt and this past year it was Gill and Gorges who played the first wave of the #1 ranked pk, not Subban. Hmmm… our two best defensive defenseman have been paired with Subban, maybe that’s the reason he gets the other teams best guys.

• naweed235 says:

Yes yes… but picture this: We trade Subban for the 1st overall pick… now that would be something else dont ya think?

• K-hab25 says:

No, that would be Koivu. Subban really has done nothing to be treated like he’s an elite player. Then again this is a fan base that thought Huet was great and that Halaks a future hall of famer.

A few quick thoughts.

i didn’t watch the Button/Maguire mock draft but I seriously doubt that anyone would suggest trding our 3rd overall pick AND Subban to just move up two spots. The Fleury/Horton swap of 2003 is ample proof of how a deal such as that might go down. I think you would be looking at one of a roster player/decent prospect/2nd round pick. I think Maguire’s comments must have been misinterpreted.

There’s lots of talk about Forsberg on the site – some good, some not so good. Here’s the thing. Every mock draft has him in the top five. All of them. Secondly, how many people on this site have ever watched him play? Are there any posters on this site who live in Sweden? If not, then you are just looking at a few video clips. To say Forsberg isn’t very good or will be a poor selection for Montreal is a total waste of time.

I personally would like Galchenyuk but will be thrilled to get Forsberg or Murray. Especially after having selected from the 17th, 22nd, 18th and 56th positions during the past four years. As well, no team should ever draft a player just because they think he might be more “NHL ready”. This is a possible 15 year investment the team is making on a major asset. Not to mention that whatever you might ‘gain’ by having an 18 year old on your squad is negated by the fact that you have burned one of his years on the entry level contract. Montreal finished dead last this year. No new prospect from this year’s draft is going to do that much in 2013. He would be much better off playing a ton in junior, college or Europe. Do you really want someone that young being exposed to a city like Montreal and a coach like Therrien?

No matter what happens on Friday night, Montreal is guaranteed one of Yakupov, Murray, Forsberg or Galchenyuk. The team then gets to grab another top ranked player at #33 after having all night to think about it. They once again just rank the top three picks (after #30) and wait for Edmonton and Columbus to make their moves.

It’s all good as far as I can see.

38. Thomas Le Fan says:

TSN does their mock draft last night and Pierre McGuire seems to think that Edmonton should come knocking on our door and ask for Subban and our #3 pick for the #1 pick. I think this is insane and wondered if he would have actually considered that if he got the job instead of Bergevin. Of course, no one asked him that. If he would, I’m glad Pierre McGuire is not our G.M. Heck, P.K. straight up for the #1 would not be something I’d do.

• Habsrule1 says:

I emailed Melnick and asked him to ask Pierre to clarify that. I can’t believe that he actually thinks that trade should be done. I’d like to hear him explain what he meant. Perhaps he just meant this is something Edmonton would look at if they were going to trade the #1 pick. Pierre mst know that the difference between Yakupov, while possibly big, cannot be big enough to merit putting Subban in that trade.

Go Habs Go!!

Well done Paul, you were always open minded about the possiblity of PM being a GM in Montreal even though many of us disagreed with you. I think that is a wise move to email Melnick and get clarification. In fact I believe PM owes it to Melnick to answer such a question. Essentially Melnick put alot of his credibility on the line by essentially becoming PM’s public relations mgr. during his candidacy for GM of the Habs.

Thanks for doing that, I am curious if you get a response and if Melnick does ask Pierre about this. However, would hate to see Melnick ask him about it with a softball question basically taking him off the hook immediately. Would rather Melnick flat out ask him, why in the world would Montreal give up their best skating player and the third overall pick to move up two spots in a weak draft year.

• Habsrule1 says:

Thanks Burly.
          I still think McGuire would have made a decent GM, but this would be one move that would really piss me off if he had the job and did it.
          I would be saying….”ok, I was wrong….he’s crazy.”…even though it would just be one move, that would be enough to convince me.

Go Habs Go!!

39. rated_R says:

I can’t imagine CLB drafting Forsberg or a defenseman like Murray. Something tells me they want Galchenyuk, only because he can join the team. Meanwhile Forsberg has another year left on his contract in the swedish league. CLB probably wants a roster player. If they can trade Nash for a few roster players before the draft maybe they will go with Forsberg. 2 more sleeps boys and girls!

• jmsheehy19 says:

Most of the reports predict that Galchenyuk will return to Sarnia due to his missed year, and I believe it’s always been reported that Forsberg will stay in Sweden for another year.

So Murray would be their option if they want an immediate impact.

• commandant says:

While its possible he is in the NHL next season, its far more likely Galchenyuk is in the OHL for one more year making up the lost development time from this season.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• ed lopaz says:

Murray is NHL ready.

I think that’s the 1 feature of Murray that keeps his name in the top 3.

because there are other defencemen who are going to be excellent NHL defencemen, but they will need at least 2 more seasons to develop – 1 more in Junior and then 1 in the AHL.

Galchenyuk’s readiness depends on the team, his pre season camp, and his knee.

• steve17 says:

I think all Galchenyuk is the guy they want too. I have a bad feeling Columbus will take him since he is American.

Habfan17

Not a website I would normally go to for Hockey Advice, but here is the Sportsnet Mock Draft. They have Murray to Edmonton, Yakupov to Columbus and Montreal grabbing Forsberg.

41. rated_R says:

I really hope Habs don’t pick up a Dman with their 3rd pick. They need to stock up on big offensive players! If Galchenyuk is gone, safest bet would be Forsberg. I wouldn’t mind Grigorenko neither. In Timmins we trust.

42. JF says:

J.T.’s take on bringing classiness back into the Habs’ organization:

All good points by J.T., as one of the people who commented on J.T.’s website mentions, Molson is also a big part of returning this class to the Organization.

Certainly appears Pierre MacGuire has influenced the last few pages of this thread. Let’s be happy he is just a talking head on TV and not our GM.

On to bigger and better things, starting to think if Galchenyuk is gone at #3 Murray may be the next best option.

• ed lopaz says:

certainly puts us in a tough position.

we’re looking for more toughness on defence, and Murray is NHL ready.

Murray does not really fit our lineup for next season like he does so many of the other teams.

We like Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Markov and then we have 2 spots available.

We have Kaberle, Weber, Diaz.

So adding Murray would mean that we have a young, great prospect d-man, but is he a fit for our bottom pairing??

I think we have to draft a forward.

So why not Forsberg?

Do you not like Forsberg for some reason, because the hockey experts seem to think he belongs top 5.

I guess my concern Ed is that I feel Murray is a more elite defensive talent than Forsberg is elite in the forward position. I want us to get the best talent possible.

Up until a few weeks ago I would have said Grigorenko instead, granted it isn’t so much that I have changed my mind, but if indeed his stock has dropped this much, would hate to use a #3 pick on a fellow who could be had at 8 or 9.

I am not to keen on trading down, as I think it is imperative that the Habs pick up a “potential” elite player with this high pick.

Having said all this, I think if Columbus uses the pick they take Murray.

• ed lopaz says:

I have not seen Forsberg enough myself.

But he seems to be a power forward who will play top 6 in the NHL for 10-15 years.

He’s always ranked ahead of Faksa, for example, and I have seen Faksa and I think he will be an excellent NHL player.

I would love to take Faksa, but it seems were stuck on this #3 pick thing.

So if Forsberg is better than Faksa, and everyone in hockey seems to say that, then why not take Forsberg?

Forsberg didn’t get to be top 5 on everyone’s list by accident.

I’m sure Murray will be great, but he is not a power play expert, he is not a physical player, and we are looking for d-men to help our power play and d-men who play physical.

he is not a “specialist”, and he is not a Drew Doughty, who does everything, or a Shea Weber, who does everything in a huge body.

True enough Ed. End of day I am the furthest thing from a scout, and am very happy we have Timmins to make this decision. The fact he now has a boss with scouting background in Bergevin along with the prowess of Dudley makes me believe the team will make the right decision.

I just enjoy providing my perspective, as limited in knowledge as it may be.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great debate indeed. If the team feels as Ed does that defense is an organizational strength and they pass on Murray, i think id like to see them swing for the fences and select Grigorenko. My unscout opinion is the team plays it a bit more conservative and takes Murray. However this goes we will get a good player.
            ———————————–

• JF says:

I’m coming round to the idea of taking Forsberg if Galchenyuk is gone (I also liked Faksa). Everything I’ve read about him suggests that he is all but NHL-ready, that he will develop into a very good power forward, and that he will be a playoff performer. There are absolutely no questions about his character, work ethic or commitment. By contrast, Grigorenko’s ranking has gone up and down like a yoyo, and there are all kinds of questions around him; maybe a lot of them are unfair, but it makes the pick seem risky. I’ll be disappointed if we draft a defenceman unless he’s the next Chris Pronger, just because we have such a crying need for offence and our offensive prospects are anything but deep – there is a frightening drop-off after Kristo, Gallagher, and Holland.

• jmsheehy19 says:

EDM winning the lotto created this turmoil, as CLB at two is far more unpredictable than if they were one. Yakupov would have been the BPA and fill a need for them (assuming Nash is ever traded) and then EDM would have filled a need with Murray, who also would have been BPA. Then Galchecnyuk would have fallen to us.

But now, it seems CLB might go with any of Forsberg, Galchenyuk, or Murray. I’m still alright with getting any of those three, but I really had my heart set on Galchenyuk back before he moved up most rankings.

Yes, I have liked him for a great deal of time as well. In some ways too bad he did so well at the combine as it really put attention back on him.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I know Burly, the moment those reports surfaced of him dominating the combine I tensed up.

But Forsberg still fills a desperate need, so either way we win.

44. Marc10 says:

I just had a look at that clip of McGuire suggesting the Oilers look at trading the number one pick for PK…

I’d like to thinkPM’s not suggesting a straight up Nail for PK swap, because I don’t know a GM (and I include Garth Snow and the Ghost of Bob Gainey in this) that would make that deal.

You take a 25-minute first line Dman with amazing skills who is by far and away your best NHL defence man (and cannot be replaced in your lineup without getting a 5mil free agent) and you trade him 1-1 for a kid who has never played. Is that kid going to be the next Stamkos?

That simply doesn’t make any sense. And if the Oilers were to throw someone else in the trade like Taylor Hall with Lars Eller going the other way… would you still do it? Maybe…

But I don’t know that we’re better off. We’re scoring goals, but suddenly our porous D just got stupid weak. Meanwhile the Oilers lose a scorer but gain two stud D with the third pick D they add to Subban. Dumb deal for the Habs.

Melnyk should remind Pierre that anytime he makes ridiculous suggestions like that on the air he ends up looking like a horse’s arse and is that much farther away from a real GM job in the league.

Bad Pierre. Bad Pierre. :-(

45. JayK-47 says:

I wish the Bulldogs were closer the the MTL especially after these next 2 drafts. Finally have a pipeline of prospects and we’ll only be catching them at the Bell center a couple times a year.

Us Hab fans stuck in Southern Ontario will enjoy getting to watch our next batch of young Habs as they develop.

• Habfan10912 says:

Another reason for Chris and i to make the trip to the Hammer this winter. Hopefully there in Albany for a game this year.

———————————–

46. Marc10 says:

@K-hab25

Doughty and Subban are both listed at 6 ft and PK is likely the heavier of the two.

Doughty is not a physical Dman either. Just ask Lecavalier or Crosby who is the nastier of the two… Or Brad Marchand for that matter:-)

On skill, Doughty is tops. No argument there (for now).

• K-hab25 says:

Ya he’s 6’1 220 and Subby doo is 6′ 0 212. Could have sworn Doughty was bigger. Oh well, my point still stands, he’s not an elite defenseman.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Why do you have to inflate his numbers to cling to a point that you’ve obviously lost? Nowhere is Drew Doughty listed as 220. If he was 220 at any point, it was when he was pudgy and out of shape and not performing. His playing weight is closer to 210 pounds.

So just admit that you thought he was bigger, but he’s essentially the same size as P.K. Subban. Marc Streit and Brian Campbell are smaller, Brent Seabrook and Brent Burns are larger, P.K. and Drew are somewhere in the middle. See how easy that is?

———————————
        In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

47. Un Canadien errant says:

Drew Doughty is not 6’3″. He is variously listed as 6′ even or 6’1″.

———————————

48. VancouverHab says:

Pierre McGuire says we should trade Subban (??!!!) to move up in the draft from third!!!!

McGuire wanted — there were actual sentient human beings who wanted him — to be the Habs’ GM???!!!!

In real life.

Someone who can be that inane doesn’t deserve a media analyst job — he would make a worst-of-the-worst H-I/O commentor.

• JayK-47 says:

On a GM scale of Pollock to Houle, I give PM 3 Houles.

• Cal says:

The infamous Houle Scale of Futility was established in Montreal by disgruntled Hab fans in and around 1995. It was first dredged up after the trade of a certain goaltender.

• Habs1st says:

I’m in no way defending McGuire, but I think what Button & McGuire meant was that Mtl should trade 3rd & Subban for 1st AND another player… maybe one of Edmonton’s young studs… I don’t think for one second that he/they were suggesting 3rd and Subban for just Edmonton’s 1st. Oh, and I hope they don’t trade Subban!

• Captain aHab says:

Not to defend PM whom I think is a flake but that’s not what he said. He said that if he were GM of Edmonton, that’s what he would ask for…he never said Montreal should do it.

Even Duthie seemed incredulous at the notion.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• steve17 says:

This is a good example of why I never wanted PM for GM! If Montreal were to want the first pick and were offering Subban, it should be for the 1st overall and the Oilers 2nd round pick. All the experts are saying that this draft is week and that even though the Nail is the best of the crop, it is not by a great margin and he is no Stamkos or Tavares. Subban is a proven player. Forget having to give the 3rd overall pick with Subban. Yes, that would be a fleece of a deal for the Oilers, Subban and the 3rd overall for the Nail. What Pm should have sadi is that it would be nuts for Montreal and highway robbery for the Oilers.

Habfan17

49. christophor says:

To the misguided chap below:

P.K. Subban is just flash? If you think Habs fans overrate their players, I completely agree. However, they don’t overrate Subban.

P.K. Subban dominates when he’s on the ice any way you analyse the game.

Do a bit of homework and you’ll see that he completely outperforms/shuts down the best forwards in the league on a nightly basis, and for 25 minutes. Look it up.

And it goes further than that; not only did he shut down top lines, he was the progenitor of Habs dominance against these top lines. In other words, he didn’t just stop the best scorers from scoring but he set up the Habs to outperform those lines by being a possession beast. The Habs were a completely different team last year when he was on the ice (i.e. a good one, for a change). Subban almost always started in the defensive zone, against the best players in the league, and yet Montreal always dominated possession-wise when he was on, ending up with more offensive zone time. If you don’t realize how impressive that is, then note that no one close to Subban’s age performed nearly as well in that respect, at least not against nearly as difficult competition (and I can’t stress this last point enough). If the Habs had the forwards to take advantage of this, they’d be looking amazing.

This is the kind of, in a way, subtle dominance you’d expect from an elite veteran. Totally blew me away as the year progressed.

Even more than all of this (though related) is the promise of at least 40 points a season (and it’s no stretch to imagine that being 10-20 points higher perennially).

All in all you potentially have, in 2-3 years, one of the most all-round dominant defencemen in the game. That can be said of few, and Karlsson isn’t one of those few.

Sounds like an exaggeration but, in this case, the numbers don’t lie. At least they’re ridiculously promising.

Edit: And any talk of a sophomore slump is coming from ppl who see the game in a far too simplified way. (“What, he didn’t get 60 pts? What, people don’t like him? PFFFT!)

• thorandresson says:

very well put, I’d say Doughty is a more apt comparison to Subban than Karlson, and look what Doughty’s done, I’d say Subby is a shade below Doughty in his overall game, and Doughty is arguably the best defenseman in the game now that Lidstrom retired

• christophor says:

I think Shea is the best but that could soon change if Doughty keeps chugging.

I agree with what you’re saying, though I think Subban needs another year or two to be thought of as almost as good as Doughty, but I wouldn’t be surprised with that result. Definitely the better comparison (all round, dominant D)

Edit: Now snatch up J. Subban in ’13 and we’re set!

• K-hab25 says:

Subban is not a physical defenseman like Doughty, Weber, Chara or Pronger and all of them are his superior offensively. For his size and style of play, Karlsson is a much better comparison. Habs fans comparing him to 6’3 Doughty, are being very optimistic or “misguided.”

• pmaraw says:

errr erik karllson? no? he did pretty good too i think

• K-hab25 says:

Well sorry “chap,” but yee are the one who is misguided. I said several times now Subban is a top pairing D, like Suter. Karlsson is an elite offensive defenseman, PK is not. PK is better defensively, but not as much as Karlsson is better offensively. Saying I would trade Subban (top pairing d) for Ryan (top line forward) is not misguided in any way. Saying a 40 point D-man is a franchise player is misguided. He doesn’t bring the physical element of Chara, Pronger or Weber and doesn’t bring the offense that Karlsson, Lindstrom or even a younger Markov. Basically at this point his offense makes him a slightly better Josh Gorges. He’s only 23 and still could grow into an elite player, but it is about as realistic as Bobby Ryan becoming an elite scorer. They’re both good young players, but Ryan plays a higher need position for this organization.

50. nickster13 says:

I would compare Forsberg to Landeskog or Jordan Staal. Didnt put up huge numbers pre-draft, but they were physically ready for the NHL and then slowly developed their numbers. I think Forsberg could do the same, and he and Eller would really jam together. Thoughts?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• K-hab25 says:

I actually think he’s Pacioretty 2.0. Both were 6′ 2 180 lbs at there respected drafts. Both are known for being good skaters, that drive the net hard. Both hit, but aren’t really physical players. Problem I have is, we’re picking 3rd overall, I’d rather risk Grigorenko not becoming Malkin 2.0, than Forsberg not becoming Pacioretty 2.0.

• thorandresson says:

Also a good point, and Paccioretty is an example of Timmins really liking that type of player. I trust that he will make the right choice, whatever it is.

• thorandresson says:

Good point, I’d take a Jordan Staal type player on the team. And with the player development team that MB put together great things could happen, I hope…

Still, Galchenyuk looks like he’s really elite and also a 2-way player.

• pmaraw says:

this is my take on it, there’s a swede? he’s good? his names forsberg? no relation? oh well. he’s big? and fast? he has a good shot? in a heartbeat!

• nickster13 says:

got all the tools for sure. He may not put up huge numbers, but id like to think the scouts all know what theyre doing putting him ahead of Galchenyuk and co. at number 3 in the final rankings.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• thorandresson says:

Well when you say all the scouts, you’re just referring to those in the media, we don’t know what NHL scouts are saying because teams tend to keep info like that to themselves.

51. DMAN says:

I am wondering if Jagr would still be interested in playing with Pleks?

52. habs11s says:

Watch this video and then think about trading PK…
    _____________________________________________________________

53. Bill says:

Pierre McGuire: Habs should trade Subban and the third for the first overall.

What. An. Asshole.

This guy has credibility with whom exactly? Nice trade. Why don’t we just throw in Price??

You guys who wanted him as GM of the Habs need to have an exorcism or something, because this is the kind of deal he would make.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habsfan0 says:

I think McGuire was only kidding.

• otter649 says:

McGuire was quite serious as he made the statement on The TSN Mock Draft Show with Craig Button & James Duthie where Button & McGuire made draft picks for the NHL 30 teams. Duthie politely said that the draft had to move more quickly since PM was slowing things down with his not asked for opinions on picks that Button made as well as going into too much depth/details on his picks……

• habs11s says:

Maybe he is trying to beat Milbury as the worst GM ever…

_____________________________________________________________

• Habilis says:

McGuire must be on the goofy juice because that just doesn’t make sense. I doubt that MB would trade Subban for the first pick straight up in this draft. If there was a Crosby or a Stamkos maybe, but not for Yakupov.

• K-hab25 says:

I think he’s a D-bag as well, but he said EDM should call the Habs and try to get Subban and the 3rd pick. Not the Habs should call EDM. I took at as, EDM should try and get a kings ransom from us, not that he thinks we should do it.

54. DMAN says:

I am baffled why so many habs fans hate Subban and want him gone. He is raw indeed but there are way more positive imo than negatives. I wonder how many Bruins fans hate Marchand?

• I DETEST every rumour including Subban’s name. Who the heck will replace Subban after he’s gone? Raphael Diaz? Chris Campoli? Yannick Weber?

Only thing this move ensures is Kaberle getting more ice time. Beaulieu and Tinordi are still 2-3 years away from making the roster IMO and neither have the potential of Subban. Stupid, stupid idea.

• DMAN says:

I think you have to give him at least 2 more seasons if not more. Imagine if we had traded Carey Price when we he made us second guess him for a season. WOW!

• K-hab25 says:

Why do you assume I “hate” Subban? I just said he’s a top pairing D, I just don’t think he’s elite, nor do I feel he ever will be. Pacioretty is also not elite, nor will he ever be. Price is not elite, he is the only player we have who I feel has a realistic chance to be, but he isn’t yet. I guess if you don’t feel Subban is the next Bobby Orr, then you hate him. Again he plays our strongest organisational position and has more trade value than any other D-man. You gotta give quality, if you want quality in return.

55. Habilis says:

Like most of you out there I’m really hoping that we get Galchenyuk on friday night. However I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks the club should do if he’s gone at 3. Murray? Forsberg? Grigs? My opinion is that the Habs almost have to take Murray in that case, based on everything I’ve read about him versus the others. I know that the organization needs help up the middle in the worst way, but at the same time I wouldn’t want to look back in 5 years and know we could have drafted the next Scott Niedermayer but passed. Any thoughts?

• DMAN says:

I think if Murray is available and Yakupov and Galchenyuk are not then we would have to take him!

• Bouleau noir says:

Tall talented centermen have often a way of skating that has them being perceived as if they dont care as much as the little one-way only speedsters of the Steve Bégin variaty around them….. even CH Captain Jean Béliveau had to composed with such a reputation despite proofs to the contrary that lasted well over a decade.

Béliveau was a formidable skater, such aisance, Alexei Yakuchev in the famous 72 series was all class too just like “le gros Bill “….. I long for a big talented center to wear a CH jersey and I hope that Grigorenko will be this guy if the smaller Galchenyuk is unavailable when our time comes.

• ProHabs says:

I would still go with a forward, probably Forsberg. If Grigorenko was North American I would take him over Murray as well. But since he has the threat of leaving for the KHL, I think I would take Murray over him.

• K-hab25 says:

Grigorenko all the way, go big or go home, as they say. ;)

56. K-hab25 says:

Back before the trade deadline I said we should trade PK for Bobby Ryan, then today I see its a rumor going around. I like it!! PK for all his flash, has only averaged 37 points the last 2 seasons. Karlsson on the other hand, has averaged 61.5 points. PK is better defensively, but he’s not in Karlssons stratosphere offensively. I know, I know JM was holding PK down, although Wiz and Mab had no trouble producing under JM. I’d also be willing to trade Kovalev junior (PK) for Yakupov as well. I know, blasphemy, but I’d rather have guys like Ryan and Yakupov getting us 30+ goals, than PK’s 30+ points. The Kovalev “protest” outside the Bell a few years ago is proof though, Habs fans love there flashy players. While the quite productive guys, Koivu, are easily forgotten.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Only 37 points a game..??!
      Dude he’s 22. Karlsson has more skill and offensive upside but he’s IS PRETTY brutal in his own end. I don’t know why the heck you guys are including this guy’s name in every rumour. Do you know how many points Markov averaged in his first 2 seasons? 23.5 AND he was older than P.K. You build around players like Subban, not trade them away for 30-goal scorers. He is a FRANCHISE d-man! He’s friggin 22 and logging in 27-28 minutes of ice time. These players don’t grow on trees – there’s no d-man in the Habs system that has as much potential as P.K., no not even Beaulieu.

• Steven says:

It’s hard to find that balance.

You trade your best D-man to get a 30 goal scorer because your team needs one, then before you know it you’re missing a #1 D-man, so you trade a 30 goal scorer to get one.

You’re better off keeping the piece you already have and adding to it, unless you have an unbelievable abundance or something(We only have one Subban, though)

• I HATE the idea of trading Subban for Bobby Ryan. He had 57 points playing besides Getzlaf and Perry – people are talking about him as if he’s the number 1 center we seek, he’s not John Tavares. What’s the issue with drafting Galchenyuk?

• K-hab25 says:

Ryan is a winger not a center and what does trading Subban for Ryan have to do with who we take in the draft. We are extremely weak organisationally at forward and have an abundance of D. We have to use what we have in abundance, to get what we have almost zero of. I mean Leblanc and little Gallagher, are our only offensive prospects right now, for 12 spots. Now count all the D prospects we have, for 6 spots. The cupboard is bare, getting Galenchyuk and Ryan/Yakupov, could go a long way towards fixing that.

• K-hab25 says:

Josh averages alot of ice time too, is he a franchise D-man? This always the argument for Subban, he plays alot of minutes. Whoopey Doo!! He’s also 23, not 22. Karlsson is a year younger and is what a real super star offensive defenseman looks like. It’s like saying that Pacioretty and Stamkos are both franchise forwards. PK is a good steady first pairing D, a franchise player he is not, atleast not in my opinion. So when you have an opportunity to get a franchise forward like Yakupov, I’m willing to gamble. Not because PK is a bad player, but because he plays D, our deepest organisational position. He has the value it takes to get players like Ryan and Yakupov. Only Price, or our first, or maybe Pacioretty have similar value. To get top notch scoring, you’ve got to give a top notch player back, period. I just feel a top line scorer is needed more, for this team anyway,than a top pairing D. It’s hilarious everyone wants a more offensively exciting team, but don’t want to trade any of our D to get it.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Comparing Stamkos and Max-Pac is a whole lot different than comparing Subban and Ryan. I know what you mean bud, this team desparately lacks star power up front. Stamkos is in a totally different league scoring 60+ goals and he’s x20 more effective than Max-Pac. Of course he’s the better option. But I wouldn’t sacrifice a top-notch dman just yet, Beaulieu and Tinordi need to prove that they are more than capable of running this D, otherwise we would improve our offense but D would have larger glaring holes. This team has one of the softest D’s in the league, I would stress on getting rid of Kaberle, Weber, Diaz before moving Subban. Just my opinion.

• K-hab25 says:

You said he was a franchise D, I don’t think he is. I was basically saying he’s more like what Pacioretty (top line) is to Stamkos (franchise). Both Subban and Pacioretty are top line/pairing players, but Stamkos and Weber are franchise players. Hey he’s only 23, maybe he proves me wrong. Ryan is a top line forward, PK is a top pairing D. Neither is a franchise player, but both are young valuable players. Equally valuable in my opinion.

• Cal says:

You mistake “potential” D with actual. The truth is that Beaulieu, Tinordo, Ellis, Patteryn and Nash aren’t NHL ready yet, while Subban has been since his first training camp.

• And don’t tell me you just compared Kovalev to Subban.

• K-hab25 says:

They’re both beloved by Habs fans more for there flashy, exciting plays, then any real production or accomplishments.

57. joshbenn says:

PM suggesting trading Subban and 3rd overall for the first pick is way of getting back at Molson for not hiring him. What’s ironic is that Galchenyuk is said to have the potential to be the first overall pick if it wasn’t for his injury. Adding our franchise defensmen to the trade and we’re set to get Nathan McKinnon next year.

58. H.Upmann says:

Don’t know if anyone saw that HNIC bit on coach’s corner where Don passes the mic to the prospects.. Grigo introduced himself, and next up was Forsberg…… And as Forsberg described himself as a two-way checking centre, could swear Grigo started to grimace and roll his eyes. Maybe Im just seeing something in a nothing, but I was definately turned off on the idea of drafting Grigorenko right there.

59. commandant says:

It got buried last page

I managed to get the Official NHL Draft Combine Heights and Weights. Note there is no other info here other than the straight stats, but if you want the official stats, these are them.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Wow, Jays just hit back to back to back homeruns.

From the RDS article LE PONT EST RECONSTRUIT, literally translated as “The Bridge is Rebuilt.”

In it the author states:

La décision de Marc Bergevin d’accorder davantage d’importance au suivi des jeunes qui entrent dans son organisation en est une excellente. C’est un geste qui aurait dû être posé bien avant, une initiative qui détonne énormément de la philosophie qui était préconisée depuis presque deux décennies.

En favorisant, chez le Canadien, le modèle organisationnel qu’il a connu chez les Blackhawks de Chicago, Bergevin adapte Montréal aux nouvelles normes du hockey moderne.

— > loosely translated:

Marc Bergevin’s decision to prioritize the monitoring of the new crop of young players is an excellent move, something that should have been done before and is a break from the way things were done for the past two decades.

Following the model that he was a part of in Chicago, Bergevin is adapting Montreal to the realities of the modern hockey era.

—————————

It gives me a sense of patience with little expectation that any blockbuster moves or panic decisions will be made. I am perceiving that the Habs direction will be where there will be a focusing on youth. There will be mentoring involved and in the process I have a feeling that the Habs will get more from their system and thus when trades are made will get good value rather than see assets squandered.

Building from within and stocking assets, building organizational depth, can’t be done overnight and it could be painful before it gets better. It isn’t tanking. It isn’t sucking to be good or losing to win. It will hopefully be a break from stagnant mediocrity.

There will also be a focus placed transitioning lessons learned into a winning combination all around. Truer to the idea of passing the torch. It is passed from failing hands after all.

There were reports of bringing the farm team closer to Montreal, like Laval, and in my opinion it could be a very good marketing ploy to maintain interest in a team that is rebuilding. Fans would be even more educated on the process involved with building a contender and can have a first hand look at what development is all about. It would be a good balance for the ebb and flow of contending to not-so-contending, and would put the onus on ensuring that the cupboards stay stocked as well as ensure that what is on the table is palatable as well.

To the baseball (Jays) fans on the site, does Brett Lawrie remind you of PK Subban. A young kid full of exuberence, maybe too much at times, filled with incredible raw physical abilities?

• K-hab25 says:

Good call Burly!! I’m a fan of the Jays and Pirates, weird for a guy from northern NY. You’d think I’d be a fan of the Yanks or even the Mets, but nope, Jays and Pirates. Probably why I don’t flip out over the Habs not winning the cup since 93′. The Jays haven’t won the world series since 93′ and my Pirates haven’t had a winning season since 92′.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think PK Subban is a smarter hockey player than Brett Lawrie is smart in any way, but I’m a big fan of both players. One thing they have in common, IMO is that they both seem to play better when they get a little cocky and just play their own style of hockey/baseball.
      Lawrie spent the month of may trying to make contact and hustle out infield singles to get on base for his teammates, and the results weren’t spectacular, but lately he acts like he’s mad at the ball and he hates every pitcher and he looks like he’s gonna be a star. I think PK’s much better when he’s in guy’s face’s and skating end to end than when he’s trying to be “respectful”.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

• habsfan0 says:

Lawrie is pretty slow on the basepaths, but he ran like a bat out of hell when the shooting started at the Eaton Centre a few weeks ago.

• K-hab25 says:

Actually Lawrie is a very fast runner, but that probably doesn’t fit well with your insult.

• habsfan0 says:

Really? What’s his stolen base/per attempt ratio?

Actually, his stats are 9/17 which equates to a .529%

He’s no Lou Brock, Ricky Henderson or a Tim Raines.

He is hitting lead off Phil. For a guy as strong as he is, his speed is impressive.

• K-hab25 says:

Wow!! Really!! So if you don’t steal alot of bases, you’re not fast? Base stealing is a skill that takes more than just speed. Read a scouting report, then come back and we’ll talk.

• habsfan0 says:

I know even less about baseball than I do about hockey and soccer, but one of the things I do know is that one of the reasons a hitter is slotted in the leadoff spot is because he is a fast runner, which admittedly, is only one element of a successful base stealer. Sorry, but IMHO, someone who’s thrown out about as often as he successfully steals a base isn’t particularly good at that facet of the game.

• DMAN says:

I love how your statement implies that you don’t know much about hockey or soccer either……lol