Draft week begins

Galchenyuk
Start the countdown.
Four more sleeps before Friday.
And then, after we all wake up, about 12 hours until the Canadiens make a draft choice that culd jump-start the franchise.

There are no Sidney Crosby available in the 2012 junior crop, no players guaranteed to become superstars.

But there are promising prospects; and the Canadiens, picking third overall, should be able to grab  a very-good-with-gusts-to-great player.

Pat Hickey has been assesing the top prospects in The Gazette this week.

Here are Pat’s takes on:

• Consensus top prospect Nail Yakupov, who probably won’t be there at 3.

Ryan Murray, the top defence prospect … and a longshot to be picked by the Canadiens, even if he’s available. General manager Marc Bergevin says he’ll draft the best player available, but the Canadiens have gone D for two straight drafts, with Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu.

Filip Forsberg, widely touted as the safest pick in the draft … but not the most spectacular.

At HIO, we’ve been touting the virtues of Alex Galchenyuk, whom we see as the Canadiens’ chance to hit a home run with the third pick.

TSN, which will telecast the first round of the draft live from Pittsburgh, beginning at 7 p.m. on Friday, has Forsberg third in its final rankings.

Bob McKenzie, who knows his stuff, describes Forsberg as “a big strong guy with a tremendous shot, a love of phsyical play and capable of playing the hard, pro-style grinding game.”

That’s great, but the Canadiens need the next Anze Kopitar, not an upgrade on Travis Moen.

Their perennial quest for a big centre could motivate the Canadiens to draft Mikhail Grigorenko, who certainly will be available at 3 because the Quebec Remparts star has sunk like a stone on many draft boards.

The kid is huge and highly-skilled. But there are concerns about Grigorenko’s compete level and the possibility he’ll end up at home, playing in the KHL.

The last great Russian playing for Patrick Roy in Quebec City was Alexander Radulov. ‘Nuff said.

1. ProHabs says:

Bergevin should trade Weber, Diaz, Palushaj, Staubitz, Geoffrion, Kaberle, Gomez, Bourque and Bujai to Edmonton for the 1st pick overall.

2. HFX-HabFan says:

I predict that if Nash goes anywhere this summer, it will happen this weekend, and it will be the Rangers who win the race over the Sharks:

to NYR:
    Rick Nash, David Savard, 2nd rd 2012, 5th rd 2013

to CMB:
    Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Dylan McIlrath, 1st rd 2012, conditional pick 2013 (3rd rd if CMB misses playoffs, 4th rd if they make playoffs)

Rangers take on 8.7mil in salary, Jackets take on 7.3mil

Decent return for CMB: two roster-ready forwards in their mid-20s, a stay-at-home D prospect, moving up three picks in the draft, and a 3rd/4th round pick for next year….sound about right?

You can say what you want about Button and McGuire but their mock draft is just more proof that Grigorenko is no longer in the running for Montreal.

The Habs’ first round pick will be Murray, Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

It will be interesting to see how far he falls in the draft Steve. Someone could be ending up with a heck of a pick in the mid to late first round. Amazing how this happens, where a perenniel high pick for the whole year suddenly drops like a stone.

• otter649 says:

Quite a trade McGuire was proposing – Edmonton’s first pick overall for Montreal’s third pick overall & PK Subban to move up 2 spots – Obiviosly Edmonton would probably do it but if MarcB did it he should be fired. Subban & third rounder for first overall maybe way too much to move up only two spots. And to think PM could have been Montreal’s GM but luckily he is not……..

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Agreed, it will be one of those three, my preference is Forsberg but I love Galchenyuk’s attitude and desire, the only thing that concerns me is the major knee surgery at an early age. Don’t want another Markov situation, maybe I am over thinking this.

4. martincurran55 says:

I have been researching Filip Forsberg, and he seems like a decent prospect. I really want Galchenyuk, but he will most certainly be gone at 3. Forsberg will probably play 1 more year over in Sweden, which will hide him from the Montreal media and let him develop. Most mock drafts/scouting reports have him in the top 5 all year. Come on Friday night, I can’t take this anymore.

5. That's-Hockey says:

if you want a good laugh. this is the site to go on. MB and the boys will do the right thing they’re not stupid all ex NHL pro’s….

6. commandant says:

Official NHL Draft Combine Heights and Weights. Note there is no other info here other than the straight stats, but if you want the official stats, these are them.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

7. Sean Bonjovi says:

Would Carolina, or Tampa give up a top ten pick for Josh Gorges?

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

8. novahab says:

For all you on here suggesting to trade PK Subban F$%# Off! Trading PK would set this team back 10 years. MB will take a big center with the 3rd pick and try ti get rid of Gomez.

9. Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t know about listening skills on this site.

To clarify the nonsense about PM’s trade recommendation that everyone is spouting, PM was asked what would you do if you were Edmonton. It was then that PM said that he’d call Montreal and offer to switch picks for Subban. He was speaking from the Edmonton perspective. He did not say that Montreal should do it. The video is on the TSN site right now. Go check out the last minute if you don’t believe me.

Criticize the man for what he says, not what you think he must have said.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

It doesn’t matter how his presented the idea. He wouldn’t suggest that the Oilers offer the #1 pick to the Kings in exchange for Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick, because that would be ridiculous. That he’d say what he said implies that he believes his trade proposal is worth consideration.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

• HabFanSince72 says:

Exactly.

The trade is preposterous. Subban for their #1 would be a more even trade. But Subban and Galchenyuk (say) for Yakupov?

He might as well have said “If I was the Oilers’ GM I’d get all my players to wear 3D glasses during the games”, or something like that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I wrote to clarify. There are all sorts of references below implying PM suggested that the Habs should trade up using PK. In point of fact he didn’t. Whatever interpretation people wish to add beyond that fact is up to them.

• habstrinifan says:

As the man said ..exactly!

10. HabFab says:

And I thought Wilde was a PM supporter…

BWildeCTV via twitter- When he says that Tambellini should phone Bergevin for Pk and 3rd overall for 1st overall, does he mean then MB should giggle and hang up?

11. D Mex says:

Re : comments on what McGuire did / did not say about PK to EDM :

It would be great to see Yakupov or / or Galchenyuk and Murray in Habs jerseys on draft day. If this could be achieved by sending one of our D-Men and a mid-tier roster player to Edmonton, then so be it.
    This would have Montréal picking 1st and 3rd overall. The only logistic I would want in place is Habs getting Price locked in before pulling the trigger if / if PK were the D-Man involved.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

12. HabsRepresente says:

3rd pick overall and Subban for Edmonton’s first pick overall?
    – What is Pierre McGuire smoking?
    That’s Steve Tambellini’s wet dream.

13. jedimyrmidon says:

I agree with everyone re: McGuire and the obscenity of mentioning “Subban+3rd overall pick” and “trade for 1st overall” together.

I feel like the Habs dodged a bullet to the head by not selecting McGuire as GM…

14. Harry says:

Montreal has options to move, exchange or trade draft picks…..for #1 with Edmonton the pick is the consensus #1 pick Yakupov..the player designated in the exchange wood be PK Subban in exchange for #1 plus prospect(s) recent draftees…. Paajarvi #1 as Montreal would need a speedy left winger for Tomas Plekanec/Gionta line …
    or instead Linus Omark or both…
    I don’t think Montreal would go there as the first choice they bwould have to make to lose Subban would be Yakupov who has brilliant skills but but but and targeted under NHL allowing to much hampering of movement which hurts all but big players as the Jagr/Kovalev/ even Selanne..all plus 6 feet….and stick-handling-shot skills….
    no matter…Montreal would want a big center if they cannot get Yakupov and want to pay a lesser price…
    they could trade to Columbus but what to gain?…
    Best Habs deal if any is to attempt to get the Islanders pick…worth a Yannick Webber, Marc Streit said he would love & Habs add a #2 draft pick to the Islanders hopefully not the Habs early round two…this could give either Galchenyuk & Mikhail Grigorenko or one of the two and a top rate defenseman as Griffin Reinhart or Murray if left…there are a few other potential greats in this including Malcolm Subban, but that is somehat on the edge though not completely out of line…
    I am very often right in my picks having followed the Canadiens since 1952 when they first appeared on TV…I finished the year before last on Habs Fantasy hockey season game picks regular season and playoffs …I’m 68 years old…finishing #3 overall….there over 12,000 regular participants picking game by game predictions on player performances..Later I was very upset that the Habs management at the end of that season got rid of many of their top performers on those charts and then no surprise to me …the team finished last….it now sounds as there is a so much smarter bunch there this time around…..
    hope the team gets a another top ranked be it Yakupov or Grigorenko…and do not count out Jagr ( I love Kovalev too but maybe if he just does it for way reduced fees..lovely to watch when he wants and maybe ready to go in a blaze of glory…
    Habs win the cup???
    Only great hockey knowledge and talk and ownership allowing some real ability to spend up to the cap will do it..
    Hope this sparks some further thoughts from those who know the Habs players their skills and how they get along with their teammates

Hairy Harry

15. H.Upmann says:

Thankful that Mcguire ain’t our GM! Whew

16. habstrinifan says:

Worth reposting cause it actually is the best and most plausible rumour tonight and shows that MB/Dudley/Timmins/Mellanby are on the ball…. I think.

ont fan posts:

June 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Steve Simmons says if Galchenyuk is gone the Habs trade down if there is a deal to be had.

Generally I give Simmons very little crediblity, but lets assume Timmins and MB have indeed targeted Galchenyuk as the guy they absolutely want and feel the next few picks are a wash. Is this a scenario where perhaps the Dudley factor could be in play. Perhaps MB managed to mind meld with Dudley and found out Burke really wants Forsberg and is willing to give up something (Schenn?) to go from 5 to 3 in order to get his man.

So when will Football/Soccer (roundball) get out of the dark ages and use instant replay on goals? Granted the Ukranian player was offside on the initial pass, but that call was missed and subsequently the shot in the net was missed also.

18. habstrinifan says:

OK so let’s clarify the McGuire thing. McGuire did not say Mtl should trade Subban plus pick for first overall. Here is what he said according to Stu:

Stu writes:

next topic concerned the Oilers: would they trade their top pick? Edmonton certainly needs defensemen and, doing a little role playing, McGuire offered that if he were running things THERE, the first call he’d make would be to Montreal to see if they’d part with P.K. Subban in exchange for that first overall pick, which most believe someone will use to select Nail Yakupov of the OHL’s Sarnia Sting.

It’s not as if Subban is actually available — most indications are that he’s not — but that’s the kind of deal McGuire thinks the Oilers might make to address their organizational need for a young, strong defenseman who would fit in with their developing club.

I thought you threw away the PM for GM buttons? :)

• habstrinifan says:

I did… just that he put the words Subban and trade in the same sentence was enough. But I was setting the records straight before we hang him.

I hear ya, however, that is Stu’s version, I didn’t hear TSN interview, so unsure of exact context. I was more relieved when I read Stu’s version of the rumour as it was more Pipe Dream on the part of Edmonton.

• commandant says:

The point though is still that McGuire’s offer is completely ridiculous and unrealistic.

Why not suggest that the Habs should trade #3 overall straight up to the Oilers for RNH, cause this would solve the Habs need for a centre and then the Oilers could have Galchenyuk and Yakupov?

Because its an unrealistic deal that would never be accepted unless the GM lost his mind…. even talking from the Edmonton side, making an offer that NHL ’12 would laugh at just shows his assessment of NHL player value is way, way off.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

I don’t dispute anything you say there Commandant. I just have used up most of my ink blotter on Pierre MacGuire back in the runup to the GM being hired.

• HabFab says:

He is loyal, you have got to give him that.

• Habfan10912 says:

Now that sounds more sane. Not as fun for the McGuire haters though. That doesn’t cgange the fact we are happy he’s not our GM, right habtrin?

———————————–

19. Dr.Rex says:

AS for BErgevin looking tired I think he is just tired of people trying to slither inside information from him. Like seriously does he really have to tell the world that he wants a forward and that their goal is to get a sting outta sarnia.

• thorandresson says:

I wonder how long he’s going to be open to the media, seems like he’s already getting sick of it. I think PG didn’t like talking to the media cause he was sick of stupid and obvious questions, or questions that you know he wouldn’t respond…

20. commandant says:

Would people be interested in a post that has nothing but heights and weights for all the players?

The actual NHL Combine heights and weights?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

21. Dr.Rex says:

I am still in shock that MR Peanut could even mention that the OIlers should be looking for SUbban and the 3rd pick for thier first. What a slap in teh face to the habs and the skillset of PK. TO think some here wanted this bum to be our GM and we all know who those many many posters were.
    FOr those of you who still think peanut should be our GM I prescribe to you many many pills. The yellow pills plus the blue pills and especially those really chunky purple pills.

If indeed Bobby Ryan is in play again, I can see Brian Burke giving up his 5th overall pick and something off his roster to get him.

23. jedimyrmidon says:

That TSN Mock Draft is waaay out there. Grigorenko falling to the Sharks at #17? Riight.

McGuire predicting Murray will go #2… I sure hope so, but look at Adam Larsson at #4 last year after McGuire “predicting” the Oilers would take him. Not good if Habs want to take Galchenyuk.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

If Galchenyuk is gone do we take Forsberg? Or do we look at Grigorenko again, a player who was ranked #2 until the “experts” decided he doesn’t try, won’t come through in the playoffs, has a similar character to Radulov and will probably play in the KHL?

• Boomer says:

I would definately go for Forsberg over Grigorenko (but thats just me). If not there’s also the option of trading down a few slots and taking Teravainen who has sky rocketed in the rankings the last few months and is looking like he’ll be a good prospect. Plus trading down would also mean gettin something in return like another prospect and/or a draft pick lets say for 2013 which is lookin like an amazing crop.
        I hope we get Gally… hopefully Columbus keeps up the streak of horrible drafting and goes with someone else lol

• Bun E. Laroque says:

I hope we get him too. He is the Yakushev to Yakupov’s Kharlamov.
          Definitely the player we most need. How long has it been since we had a powerful 200 lb. centerman with offensive gifts?

• ont fan says:

• Boomer says:

yup. And I’d be shocked if Teravainen didn’t go top 10…

• Dr.Rex says:

Grigorenko is not a hot commodity among any scouts. IF we traded down to 12 or 13 we could still get him.

If the Habs signed Subban for $5mill per season over 7 years would that be a good deal?

• Habfan10912 says:

PK would like it. Not sure if its time for such ling term for him yet. As Judge Judy would say, he’s still cooking

———————————–

I don’t know Jim. I really believe PK will be in the long run as good if not better (with a different role) than Karlsson. If indeed the Cap continues to go up, having PK wrapped up at an affordable number could be better.

Overpay a bit early and save later is my thought process.

• jols101 says:

Before the Karlsson deal I posted 4 years at 4.5, now 4 years at 5 million seems right. As far as term, I’m not a big fan of the long term contracts but in Subban and Price’s cases because they are so young it might be a good idea…

• habstrinifan says:

If I were Subban’s agent I would reject that deal… too long to be tied to 5 mill. From Subban’s point of view I would accept 5 for 3 yrs or 4.5 for two years then do the ufa.

Subban probably has faith in himself that he would be worth least 6/per within next two yrs.

25. Lafleurguy says:

Jonathan Huberdeau, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Duchene, Zack Bogosian, Kyle Turris, Jonathan Toews, Jack Johnson, Cam Barker, Nathan Horton, and Jay Bouwmeester. These were the No. 3 picks from the last 10 drafts. Get excited about the talented kid that will join the Canadiens, but remember these ten when it comes to expectations.

“May you live in interesting times.”

26. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Erik Karlsson at 7 years for 45.5 makes me feel a bit better about PK’s sophomore slump

27. jols101 says:

Wow Begevin looked exhausted on TSN, I guess he has been working hard. Looked like he could use a vacation already lol.

28. ont fan says:

Bergevin not ruling out a defenseman. Ya think that?

29. HabFab says:

MiB just looked like he was having dental work without any freezing in that interview.

30. commandant says:

Pierre McGuire just said on TSN that Subban + 3rd overall for 1st overall would be a good trade.

Thank you baby jesus that this idiot was not hired as GM.

Hey McGuirites, defend this idiot now.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

31. ont fan says:

How big is Teravanen. Mcguire says trade Subban and 3rd for Yak at 1st.

32. Wintercount says:

Consider this: Gal-94, like Gallagher, has been gym ready for a few years, and is probably within 10 lbs of his NHL playing weight. Grig on the other hand, once he’s ready, will end-up around 220 – 230.

Six-four, two hundred and twenty-five w skill/reach…. gonna’ be sorry if they don’t take the plunge w this guy.

I’ll raise you one and make it 500.

34. habbernack says:

If the Habs think about trading their pick, I would try to swing a deal with Columbus for Nash and they would probably have to throw in a prospect or maybe a second rounder in next years draft

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

35. ont fan says:

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who is his cousin, who says Subban will sign with the habs.Also he says Nash will sign with Carolina.

36. jols101 says:

Do not want to start any rumours, just asking for opninions, it seems like all other teams are shoring up their UFAs and RFAs except for the Habs. Does anyone think Marc Bergevin is a “nickle and dimmer” type and there will be stand offs with either Price or Subban? Are we going to lose a guy like Moen over a few bucks? Or do you think Bergevin is just pacing himself? Concentrating on Draft? You would think a NHL GM should be able to multi-task and sign players while getting ready for the Draft. No?

37. Price07 says:

Thoughts on a couple topics:

1. The Phoenix situation is a joke, how dumb do you have to be to try to keep a team in a city that is trying so hard to get the team to leave. I’ve never seen anything like this, no matter what they come up with to keep the team there someone counteracts it…ummm hello!? forget the phoenix idea bettman!! Even the players suffer since their salaries are affected by the salary cap which is determined by the total revenue the NHL makes. Phoenix doesn’t make any money (it loses money), teams like that drag the whole league down.

2. I’m hoping to see Galchenyuk in a habs jersey on friday but I really doubt he will be available. I don’t see the oilers picking murray with their first overall pick. It would be smarter to trade down, get something for it and then choose a defenseman as well.

Assuming yakupov goes first (which i am almost certain will be the case) I don’t see Columbus taking a defenseman, look at their depth at the position, they are far more set on D than they are up front. The only way is if they choose Forsberg, but I’m not sold on his offensive potential.

One last note: I know with stuff such as bob mckenzie’s draft rankings show and other such people saying how the race for number one is way closer than it was before, but don’t be fooled. Every year as we get closer to the draft we get these suggestions that there could be a “surprise” at number one but guess what, as expected guys like Tavares, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins get chosen. I remember people saying Duchene or Hedman could pass Tavares, Taylor or Tyler and Adam Larsson being a good pick for the oilers. But we get to draft day and all of a sudden…steve tambellini gets up there and makes it look like he never thought twice about picking hall. Can’t help but think the media just tries to hype up a controversy.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I agree with 95% of your thoughts, media just loves to hype this stuff but it would not surprise me to see the Oilers swing a deal as they think really highly of Murray and Reinhart but Tambellini will probably not takethem with the #1 pick, I can see him squeezing something out of someone with a little lower pick and moving down. I can see the Oiler and Leafs making a deal as Burke will want to make a splash. Don’t underestimate Forsberg, one of the youngest players in the draft who was MVP at the under 18 worlds.

38. habstrinifan says:

WOW on the Karlsson deal. 7 YRS FOR 45 MILL. High?

39. habstrinifan says:

Anyone else would like to see a Bergevin signing or two before the draft. Subban/Price/Moen… least one of them.

40. GrimJim says:

In the Sh*t about to hit the fan dept,
    A US judge has struck down one part of the latest Glendale lease agreement. By doing so, the judge is giving citizens until roughly July 8 to gather signatures for a referendum on the lease…

Doesn’t this Phoenix scenario eventually have to end with a lawsuit against the NHL for not allowing Moyes to sell the team to an owner who had a contingency plan to move the team in order to allow that owner (Moyes) to recover some of his original investment? Seems to me Bettman is simply trying to avoid that.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Very good point. I was thinking that Mr. Bettman’s obstinacy was just to preserve the economic footprint and TV ratings of the league. Your observation is bang on, if after three years of propping up the franchise the team moves anyway, Jerry Moyes’ lawyers will come calling.

———————————
        In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

41. jols101 says:

Sens just signed Karlsson to a 7 year contrct. No financial details were released..

• commandant says:

Bobby Mac says 6.5 per season.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• jols101 says:

That sounds about right considering what the Kings gave Doughty. Makes me believe Subban will be 5 million +, still hope we sign him long term….

• joeybarrie says:

Karlsson has 78pts, 45 pts, 26 pts in his last 3 seasons. Plays 25 min per game.
          Subban has 36 pts, 38 pts, 2 pts in his last 3 seasons. Plays 24 min per game.
          I think 5 million is too high. But given Gorges is at 4 million. How can we lowball Subban.
          I think 4.5 million is fair. Its hard. 1.5 million seperating a guy who has 123 points in his last 2 seasons as a defenseman and a guy who has 74 points.
          Going to be tough. You want to get him long term, but I dont know if PK is a top 10 D in our league.
          Is PK as good as Markov? Or at least as good as Markov has been before the inury?

• RGM says:

He’s just coming off his entry deal and hasn’t got any arbitration rights. They don’t have to throw the kitchen sink at him just yet.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Ottawa Senators have agreed to terms on a seven-year, $45.5 million contract extension with defenceman Erik Karlsson.

Signing P.K. just became more difficult.

———————————

• Clay says:

I love PK, but Karlsson is more skilled. PK will get less.

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t know, P.K. certainly has a chance to be the better all-round defenceman, if he puts it together.

It just made the discussion harder, since it gives his agent more ammo.

———————————

42. Un Canadien errant says:

As a general observation, with so many teams clamouring that they need and will look for more size, there will be a “Moneyball”-described market inefficiency in the draft, and smaller skilled players will be undervalued. This will be especially true if the GM’s extricate their heads from the colons and make changes to the rules and the way the game is refereed to open up the game, these smaller players could thrive, as they currently can’t.

———————————

43. habstrinifan says:

Someone writing unde rthe handle “Phenom” at Eklund’s site says family member ha stold him that Subban wants out of Mtl and that Edm and HABS are talking to accomodate Subban.

OMG say it aint so. Also under same article Luongo has met with Leafs are is house shopping in Toronto.

Dont go to sleep folks. Crazy rumour time is here.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, please don’t dignify that site by visiting it, or mentioning it on here.

P.K. is a lifelong Canadiens fan, and if he doesn’t like Montréal I doubt he’s asking to land in Edmonton.

As far as the Roberto Luongo, I wonder if he’s using the same real estate agent who claimed that Patrick Roy had already bought a house in Brossard and that his getting a job with the Canadiens was a done deal.

———————————

• Price07 says:

I heard the same thing (a “family” source) about Gorges before he signed and looks like Gorges ain’t going nowhere. Don’t listen to randoms, listen to people like Bob Mckenzie and Darren Dreger who actually know stuff.

44. Habziefan09 says:

I can guarantee you one thing me, this team wont be soff. :D
    ____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

45. Sean Bonjovi says:

Which NHL player is the most likely candidate to get Carter&Richardsed™ this week? I’m gonna throw Josh Gorges’ name out there.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

46. naweed235 says:

Bobby Ryan is available as per McKenzie…. Habs should jump all over that as he is one of the most skilled scorers in the league and talent like his doesn’t just become available. I say give the 3rd pick and Leblanc if that would get it done…
    No freaking way the 3rd pick or Leblanc will turn out as good as him…
    not to mention his reasonable cap hit of 5.1 till 2015

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Barring injury, or a long work stoppage Bobby Ryan will score approximately 200 points in the NHL between now and the time his contract expires.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

• slamtherimtim says:

i’ll take perry instead

• steve17 says:

That would not do it, Plekanec, Holland and Weber might

Habfan17

• steve17 says:

If the Habs got Ryan, teh Gionta would have to move down to the 3rd line or be traded

Habfan17

• steve17 says:

I stand corrected, they list him as a centre left wing although he shoots right.

Habfan17

• naweed235 says:

nonsense…
        If you watched the World championships you would know that MaxPac and Ryan had an amazing chemistry… they were the top 2 scorers for US…
        The top 2 lines would look like this:
        Pacioretty – DD – Ryan
        Gionta – Pleks – Cole

• habstrinifan says:

I hate it when I am right!

Only a week or so ago I suggested that I would knock on Anaheim’s door because of their UFA/RFA situation for this year and next year. They just plain have too many to resign.

Some scoffed at me.

Now McKenzie is saying Ryan is available.

My trade was we give up the 3rd overall pick to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan, Sheldon Brookbank, and Anaheim’s 2nd round pick.

We can add players like Weber even up to a Plekanec (providing they sweeten the deal too) to get it done.

We dont have to give up any of our key young players either. And Bobby Ryan for our 3rd pick is like hitting a jackpot with our 3rd pick, I think. Especially considering the volatility and uncertainty in the rankings.

I love this trade.

I think it’s DOABLE!

• Phil C says:

The Ducks have a well documented need for top pairing defensemen, so the negotiation would start with Subban and go from there. Why else would they dangle a player like Ryan? Seeing that the Habs also need a defenseman, this trade would not make sense for the Habs, they simply do not have the assets to trade their way out of this mess.

• habstrinifan says:

Remember I am starting with the ‘financial’ problem in their future with all the UFA’S.

Anaheim’s prospect pool is top heavy with offensive talent so may be why they may be ok dealing Ryan.

With two top six picks Murray and Reinhart and Dumba will be in their sights.

And McKenzie is already reporting that Ryan is available ‘again’. I say MB goes knocking.

47. steve17 says:

Here is a trade that makes sense, Plekanec, Kaberle, Weber and Pulashaj for Kane and Winnipegs 2nd round pick.

Montreal would have a 2nd line centre and could push Bourque to the 3rd line to add grit and scoring and Moen to the 4th line. The left wing position would be solid top to bottom. With DD, Eller, potentially Grigorenko or Galchenyuk on the 3rd line and White on the 4th until they find an upgrade either from the prospects or UFA signing. The right side would have Cole, Gionta, Gallagher and either Blunden or Quailer. Staubitz would be the extra to rotate in when needed. Unless he can play centre, then I would take him over White.

Habfan17

Harding gets 5.7M for three years in Minnesota. That just leaves three teams without starting goalies for next season – NJ (Brodeur?), Columbus and Toronto.

Darren Helm gets 8.5M over four years.

Selanne decides to return for one more year with Anaheim (no terms announced)

Button and McGuire do a mock draft on TSN tonight. Button has been all over the map throughout the year and will now probably follow Bob McKenzie’s lead when selecting this evening. I can’t wee why this guy holds down a job.

49. chanchilla says:

i don’t know why everyone thinks that moens gonna sign for so low, but he basically had a better year than bourque and AK last year, hes gonna make 3 mil, and he’s not gonna make that much to sit on the fourth line in any sort of fantasy world that all of you people have.

• shiram says:

His injury might lower it, I’m thinking 2 millions would be good.

• chanchilla says:

i think he’s still gonna end up making fair coin, and id be happy to have him on our third line, i don’t know why anyone thinks that a 10-15 goal scorer isnt good enough for the third line.

• neumann103 says:

I agree that those who have Moen pencilled in for $1.5M on the 4th line are dreaming. $3M might be a little high, especially if he is looking for term, but I think he will get looks from teams trying to fill a 3rd line winger/1st or 2nd unit PK forward with “grit” some offensive upside (as shown in the firt half of this season) and Cup experience.

Anyone know what his physical condition is? I assumed that he might have been close to returning by season’s end but there was no point in the risk

“Et le but!”

50. Since other folks re doing this and I’m a sucker for playing GM…

Let me just say that I’m not crazy about this lineup, and it’s not going to win the Cup. But I do think it’s a realistic lineup and probably playoff-worthy, with $2.6M left over. Would be more than that if we can find someone to take Gomez off our hands.

Yes, Penner had a terrible year and is probably overpaid here. But we need goals, so unless we land Parise or Doan, there aren’t many other UFA scorers available, and that’s what it’ll likely cost to get him to a city where 51% of your salary’s sucked off in taxes. He’s a big gamble, and could be either another Bourque or another Pacioretty.

Yes, Whitney’s 40 years old. He also scored 24 goals last year would likely take a reasonable cap hit for a two- or three-year term. If Recchi can do it, so can he. We desperately need secondary scoring on our third line, and Bourque-Eller-Whitney will add some pop.

No, the D isn’t vastly improved. Since we’re not going to contend this year, I’m inclined to just fill the gap with Allen or someone similar (Salvador?) until one of the kids is ready to come up and play.

So here goes…

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
    Dustin Penner ($4.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Ray Whitney ($2.750m)
    Travis Moen ($1.700m) / Jay McClement ($2.000m) / Ryan White ($0.750m)
    Mathieu Darche ($0.800m) / Brad Staubitz ($0.600m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)
    P.K. Subban ($3.000m) / Bryan Allen ($3.500m)
    Raphael Diaz ($1.200m)
    GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($5.500m)
    Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
    BUYOUTS
    Scott Gomez ($3.524m)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gionta top line.
      Cole DD Bourque 2nd
      Eller, Gomez, Moen 3rd

No UFA top 9 fwd.

• Rugger says:

Yes, I am hoping they take a pass on this years crop of UFA “stars” and just sign what we need to fill the bottom of the roster.

• That may well play out, but only trouble is that there’s no scoring on the bottom two lines, and I just don’t see Bourque as a top-six guy — at least unless he proves himself again. Penner and Whitney are reasonably cap-friendly insurance policies that are a little more attainable than Doan and Parise.

51. chilli says:

There are no guarantees in drafts and there is no consistent choice for the #3 spot – so one thing that I GUARANTEE is that this site will be lit up like a Christmas tree with pissed off HIO members about who the Habs pick.

I mean, why else would they be a member? To support and cheer? Noooo! It’s to bitch and complain.

Need I remind everyone how all the experts described Benoit Pouliot in the 4 spot and how incensed the fans were when we didn’t get him and got Price instead.

Just chill folks. Whoever they pick won’t have an impact on the team for the next 2 years anyway.

Next years draft will have some studs – I’d like to be back in this position again. Isn’t it fun?

I mean, Vancouver played 4 more games than us… fine by me.

Tre

52. Rugger says:

Food for thought, if the new CBA has an amnesty clause, who besides the Habs dropping Gomez would be dropped? Vinnie? Is there someone out there with value but likely to be dropped because of contract terms that the Habs would then be able to sign for a lot less since the player will already be getting a windfall?

53. BeachHabFan says:

Bob McKenzie just tweeted bobby ryan now available from ANA. Two things:

1) how long til Eklund says he had “hundreds of calls and texts” on this (3…2…1..) and
    2) any takers on HIO? I like ryan but likely expensive

• I’d talk about it for sure, but this would probably cost us, say, Plekanec, Tinordi and a pick/prospect — mighty steep… Better to grow your own. : )

54. Bouleau noir says:

What a spring ! first Molson purged the CH of the two headed monster that has kepted our franchise from making progression since 2003, the ineptitude, the autocracy and the muted sorry faces of the gainey/gauthier era is now over and a thing of the past….. but why stop celebrating here ? Galchenyuk or Grikorenko are nice size center prospects for our futur….. either one would fitt the bill.

55. vegas says:

Habs lineup in 3 years

MaxPac Galchenyuk Gallagher
    ??? Eller Kristo
    Bournival DD Leblanc
    Conboy Nattinen Schultz
    Holland – Geoffrion

Tinordi Subban
    Beaulieu Gorges
    Emelin Ellis
    Pateryn

Price
    UFA

trade or pick up a second line left winger with Plekanec
    lets build with our draft choices
    Imagine if we still had McD

• habsfanforever7631 says:

I think Ryan White will be there and I also think Gabriel Dumont will be there, may be on the forth line?

• 24 Cups says:

I appreciate your optimism but there are a lot of guys on your list who may never become regualars in the NHL.

Gallagher, ???, Bournival, Conboy, Nattinen, Schultz, Holland, Geoffrion, Ellis and Pateryn.

I’ll be happy if three guys from the list I just mentioned make the Habs full time.

• steve17 says:

I think Quailer will be on the team then

Habfan17

56. habsfan0 says:

Re: Euro 2012

Let me see if I understand this: If Spain fails to win Euro 2012, then they won’t be EUROPEAN champions, but will still considered to be defending WORLD champions.

Perfectly understandable.

With convoluted logic like that, I’m beginning to see why so many European countries are in such dire financial straits.

57. Habsrule1 says:

krob I disagree with your assessment of the DD line. I’m quite sure that DD made them better. He is a better playmaker and harder to get off the puck than Plekanec….and I love Pleks.
    I’d sooner keep DD than Plekanec, even though Plekanec is better defensively by a mile.

Go Habs Go!!

• neumann103 says:

Not meaning any disrespect and not to imply that my opinion of your opinion is revealed truth but… your statement regarding Desharnais:

“He is a better playmaker and harder to get off the puck than Plekanec”

Is just plain nuts. We can all celebrate the great success Desharnais has had against the size-ism of the hockey world but lets keep it in the real world.

“Plekanec is better defensively by a mile.”

Now, there we are. Back to reality.

“Et le but!”

• krob1000 says:

Pleks has put up seasons of 69 points and 70 points, he stil managed 50 points last year playing with an ever changing rotation of guys(many who were 4th liners)…while drawing the harder assignments defensively, playing huge pk minutes,etc. I cannot say DD is better than Plekanec…until DD proves it differently..and he may very well…Pleks is better both offensively and defensively IMO…we will have to agree to disagree until DD shows me more….now dollar for dollar? easy choice but DD proved me wrong already as I thought he would not have the speed to compensate for his lack of size but instead he seems to have a work ethic that is off the charts…he appears faster than perhaps he is because he goes full tilt 100 percent of the time….that is awesome to watch and part of what makes him so likable. I like DD but Pleks is so complete and if given a purely offensive role (which theDD line was) I still believe he outscores DD.

58. otisfxu says:

Why is it year after year we read column after column about all the great players that have come later in the draft, yet hear we are talking only about the top 3 just because the Habs have one of those picks. Why should this year be any different than any other – no guarantees with any of these top rounders.

Teams get better real quick if you can find those nice surprises. Habs haven’t had a rookie of the year since forever, it would be nice if he is in this group, but odds say not. I’m interested in the “crop” of players the Habs can accumulate in the next year or two – not the number 3 pick this year. We all know how Montreal fans and media like to eat their young – so expecting some young 19 year old to turn this team around next year is crazy talk.

59. slamtherimtim says:

leaf fans and media are retarded , Eklund is such a joke , if anyone want to laugh go read what he says about the leafs

• pmaraw says:

omg lol ya leafs are gonna get yak and nyuknyuk…

• db says:

LOL… leafs get Yak, EDM just takes gardiner for it and all of a sudden that means shultz signs in edmonton… i really want what he’s smoking

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah…. because Gardiner is so Great that he’s equivalent to the #1 overall pick. And just because it’s so easy to do with their wealth of quality players, the Leafs are gonna get the 2nd overall pick from Columbus.

Next they’re gonna lock up Bobby Ryan longterm because, after all, Anaheim loves feeding Burke players (was it Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner?).

60. jmsheehy19 says:

Harding re-signed with the Wild.

And a weak free agent pool gets weaker. Gotta think Burke HAS to pull the trigger on Luongo now. Which could distract him from trading the 5th, Schenn, Gustavsson, and Kadri for the top 2 picks in the draft, which he was totally going do.

61. joeybarrie says:

It just seems to me, given the draft class going for the number three ‘SAFE’ pick, Forsberg… Seems like the smartest thing to do.
    Take a chance on Grigorenko?
    Take a defenceman in Murray?
    Take “a big strong guy with a tremendous shot, a love of physical play and capable of playing the hard, pro-style grinding game”?
    Are there any other choices?

62. bennayd says:

I’d love to plan on drafting Jordan Subban next year (assuming he develops at the rate PK did at his age). If Galchenyuk is gone at 3rd overall, we should avoid drafting Murray (a Dman) despite the praise that scouts have been giving him and just go with Forsberg or trade down for Teuvo or Grigorenko. Having said this, with our 2 2nd round picks next year, we might be able to pick Jordan Subban up then.

63. shiram says:

NHL revised 2007 draft.
    Subban 4th overall, one spot ahead of Mcdonaugh
    MaxPac is 8th.
    Eller is 20th, they talk about a long term fit for MTL as a third liner.

While on the draft subject, one thing that often comes up is drafting the best player available versus drafting to your team’s need.
    In 1984, the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers used the second overall pick to select Sam Bowie, who filled a need on their team. The Chicago Bulls selected Michael Jordan third overal.

• slamtherimtim says:

who was first

• mdp2011 says:

Exactly what I was saying last week with TomNickle. What if Murray is the best player available when the Habs pick? Do they take the best player available in Dman Murray, or do you draft by need and draft a big center? You could potentialy pass on the next Scott Neidermayer because you immediate need is for big center.

• slamtherimtim says:

you make a trade if that were the case

• LA Loyalist says:

Habs need for a male number #1 center is not new, and it doesn’t look like we have a serious prospect in our system (please don’t post about Eller, just don’t). And I have been fantasizing about finally getting a stud center since our tanque ™.

That said, my gut, as the reality approaches, says to take Ryan Murray and in two years have an unbelievable studly D with PK, Murray, Beaulieu and Tinordi.

The reality is it is deeper in the draft where the rocks are lifted that will make or break us. Remember that Halak and Markov were late picks.

I lit a candle in Notre Dame in Paris for the draft. Admittedly a 2 euro candle, not a 5 euro candle. I spent the difference on wine… is that so bad?

• neumann103 says:

My opinion FWIW is that there is a huge range of best player vs fills the need scenarios.

It wouldn’t matter if you needed D or Goaltending if you had 1st pick and Sidney Crosby was available.

It is different when you have a situation where you ask “How much better is Murray than the third best forward?” and the answer is not clear cut.

So I think Edmonton really needs help on the blueline but would be nuts to pass on the consensus #1 in Yakupov. If there is a consensus #1 and you don’t want to pick him you might as well trade down. However when you get down to the Habs spot if the “best player available” is not definitively better than the “best fit” then I think drafting for need makes sense

“Et le but!”

• shiram says:

If I were picking for the Habs, I’d pick the best forward available.
        It’s easier to decide in Jordan’s case, with nearly 20 years hindsight.

• neumann103 says:

Agreed. If the second coming of Bobby Orr was available at #3 you take him regardless of need. But if it is just a choice of a pretty good defenceman vs a pretty good forward, take the best available forward.

My concern is if Galchenyuk goes #2 do you take Grigorenko (which is my leaning), take Forsberg (apparently the consensus “safe” pick) or trade down.

“Et le but!”

64. nellis13 says:

in my view management has a lot to do.
    1) we need to size up our top 6 meaning one of BG, TP or DD has to go. my bet is they trade gio after they bury gomez. new management, new leadership on the ice. not an easy decision.
    2) get some grit on d. only kaberle and emelin are over 205lbs. kaberle’s soft and emelin can’t fight. our biggest asset is price. we need guys that can protect him.
    3) PG’s attempt to assemble a 4th line through last season was a failure. we need a balance of toughness and skill.

65. commandant says:

If you check the twitter feed of @MarkEdwardsHP you can see the actual combine heights and weights of players

Galchenyuk was 6’0.5″ 194lbs
    Grigorenko was 6’3″ 200.4lbs

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

66. Habs64 says:

I hope Galchenyuk is available at 3. Should we take Murray or Forsberg if he isn’t?

67. Habs64 says:

Howard can`t ban me here:)

68. issie74 says:

I don’t know why everyone doubts Craig Button as a scout,while he was a scout for Minn.N.Stars and Dallas Stars:
    D. Hatcher
    J.Lehtinen
    J. Langenbrunner
    M.Turco
    J.Iginla
    B.Morrow

Not to shabby!

NorthTOHab

• commandant says:

His record as head scout is very good. Which is why he got the GM job in Calgary to begin with.

Its tough to judge him for the picks as GM of Calgary. The GM doesn’t have the time to watch all these junior kids play, he’s relying on the advice of his scouts.

His list is different from the consensus out there, but it doesn’t make it wrong, He is doing a pure ranking, not a mock draft.

We’ll have to wait at least 5 years to see if his ranking was right or wrong.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

69. McHab4Life says:

Well here’s what I think we could pull off this year. The best thing about this roster is that it onle takes 1 move (Gomer to Hamilton) & we don’t lose any of our assets. The #3 Pick can be sent to Hamilton so he’s 100% ready for next year. Take a look folks!!!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
    Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.750m)
    Brad Staubitz ($0.650m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.250m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($4.500m)
    Alexei Emelin ($1.500m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)
    Yannick Weber ($0.850m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
    Carey Price ($6.000m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,878,333; BONUSES: $300,000
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $421,667

• shiram says:

If only it was that easy to net the 2 most sought after free agents.
      Also, if you wanna keep Moen you throw a little raise his way.
      Emelin might ask for more as well, depends on how he is valued in the KHL.

• olematelot says:

A person can dream I guess

• HabFanSince72 says:

Konopka!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habaddict_andy says:

With Tinordi and Beaulieu knocking on the doorstep I doubt there will be any signing of UFA defensemen this year. That money will be spend elsewhere in my opinion. But the rest looks quite interesting, something that would be good to watch on the ice.

• db says:

I think we must sign 2 UFA Dmen this year. Real men. One year deals, if they prove their worth they stick around for next year. I don’t want this team to get pushed around so much in their own zone this year…

70. shiram says:

Usually very tall people are measured 3 times in one day, morning, noon and at night, as the body can shrink and grow a little during the day. They are also measured 3 different ways each time, once standing up, once sitting, and once laying down.
    I spent too much time on http://www.thetallestman.com/

71. Bill says:

The more I read about the draft and the more I use my legendary (in my own mind) powers of precognition, I see Yakupov and Galchenyuk going one and two. Either the Oilers take Yakupov and Columbus takes Galchenyuk (he’s American, NOT Russian, they will tell their fans correctly), or Edmonton swaps picks with someone and THAT team takes Yakupov, while Columbus holds with Galchenyuk.

That being the case, the alternatives are Murray, Forsberg, Reinhart, Dumba, or Teravainen.

I will say that personally I love the background on Teravainen: he’s young for this draft class, looked great in the U-18, and judging by reports is probably the slickest forward available after Yakupov and Galchenyuk. However, he’s smallish and I think the Habs are very deliberately going to move away from smaller players from now on. Somebody will get a great player when they pick him, though.

In this scenario, the Habs should probably take Murray. A lot of you will say that the Habs are loaded with D-prospects: well, not with D-prospects like this one, they aren’t. The Habs best prospect is Beaulieu, and while he is really good, he is not at Murray’s level even now, with Murray being a year younger. As for the Habs’ second-best prospect, Tinordi, he is not in the same league as a complete defenceman.

Forsberg is an RW (apparently, though the info on that is contradictory) and I think there are questions about his ability to score at the NHL level. The Habs don’t really need another RW.

Grigorenko is a tantalizing prospect, and a natural centre, and I honestly don’t believe his detractors … but Murray is a safer pick and could be ready to play right away, which I don’t think any of the forward prospects are. Even Yakupov. That said, Grigorenko is my second-choice after Murray, again assuming that Yakupov and Galchenyuk are off the board.

The rest of the top prospects look interesting, but they are all D-men, and after Murray I think they are not as attractive (based on team need) as going for a forward. Though Reinhart has a ton of appeal.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• jedimyrmidon says:

I also have the sinking feeling that Galchenyuk’s stock has risen at just the right rate so that Columbus will take him – really hope not though.

The Habs really need an elite forward though. I’d rather they risk the pick on Grigorenko or Teravainen [or Forsberg maybe] rather than take Murray.

As for Beaulieu being the best D prospect, I’d say Tinordi is making a name for himself – and not in an offensive role either, but defensively, which is also something the Habs need.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Who knows, but McKenzie”s consensus opinion was Forsberg at 3 and Galchenyuk at 5. I was surprised, but it seems that Forsberg is rated much more highly off this board than on it.