Download The Gazette’s free e-book on Summit Series

ebook

To mark the 40th anniversary of the Summit  Series between Canada and the Soviet Union Red Fisher is writing an eight-part feature series to run in The Gazette during the month of September looking back on each of the eight games.

You can also download The Gazette’s free e-book, featuring Summit Series game stories from Montreal hockey legends Fisher and Ted Blackman, plus classic illustrations from The Gazette’s award-winning cartoonist, Aislin. Go to hockeyinsideout.com/summit-ebook for details.

The first part of Red’s feature series on Game 1 was published on Sept. 1, with other stories to be published on the same dates as the games were played in 1972: Sept. 4, 6 and 8 in Canada and Sept. 22, 24, 26 and 28 in the Soviet Union. You can follow the series by going to montrealgazette.com/summitseries.

The Gazette will also be publishing readers’ Summit Series memories. Email your memories to sports editor Stu Cowan at scowan@montrealgazette.com.

1. HabFab says:

For you fans in Quebec;

BWildeCTV – Remember recently in Alberta as Wild Rose Party lost some 10-12 points in final days. It can happen. Get out the vote friends!!!

2. Bripro says:

So Mathieu Darche is keeping busy. But he’s not overly optimistic about the current negotiations.

3. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Dedicated to Pauline Marois, we will have to assume that the narrator is Canada

4. showey47 says:

I have to tell you guys i currently work for purolator and recently added a new customer to my route. I have to tell you i sure hate going to this persons house on a daily basis,lol. :-)

5. bwoar says:

I remember the last referendum really well, and how frightening the prospect of a Canada without Quebec was.

Somehow, with a family and a 1,000 other more important things to tend to, the concept gives me a big ‘meh’ now. Quebec’s a totally distinct culture, why shouldn’t it be a country? And who really cares about any potential fallout for the ROC? Does it matter? It sure doesn’t seem relevant from a grain field on the prairies.

When can we get back to discussing the defense on the 2nd powerplay unit? Are we still in nostalgia safe-mode only?

• Ian Cobb says:

To many family members have fought and died for this country for one province to try and cut off 4 others from the west. And west from east as well.
      We are one country with many distinctive parts.
      Be very afraid my friends!!!!

• ZepFan2 says:

So you’re saying I voted no in both referendums for nothing? Nice to know that.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

NHLPA vs The NHL: “Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right” – Stealers Wheel

Stuck in the Middle

• Ian Cobb says:

This was not directed to any one poster. Just making a statement.

• ZepFan2 says:

I know, Ian. I was actually directing my comment to bwoar.

But what you wrote makes it even sadder if Marois and her cronies get in and cause chaos.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

• bwoar says:

Presumably, you voted ‘no’ because you wanted Quebec to remain in Canada, Zep.

I just recall it seeming like a potential nightmare when I was just at the age of majority, but now it doesn’t hold that same aura of disaster.

If you voted ‘no’, you’re in a position to say a few words as to why… that might help give me a perspective on why separation is such a big deal.

Again, not sure why Canada absolutely must stretch unbroken from East to West, other than it looks much cooler on a map. I’ve never heard much an argument for it, is all.

I don’t understand your comment in the least, Ian. What does fighting for Canada (and I have no small number of friends and family in the CF past and present) have to do with whether or not folks in Quebec are free to have their own country? Plenty of Quebecers did lots of dying for Canada too, so what if they or their progeny decide to govern themselves outside of Confederation?

I’m not asking to be difficult. I want to know what the justification is for the fear-mongering going on around this election & the PQ.

• ZepFan2 says:

I voted no because I didn’t want my Country to be broken up. I’ve been from NFLD to Vancouver and I love every part of it. I mostly love my little city of Montreal and would hate to think of it no longer part of Canada.

That being said, I feel like we (Anglophone Quebecers) have nobody to back us up anymore. I figure if the ROC doesn’t care anymore, why should I? Maybe it’s time to give the separatists what they want. Calgarians would be happy!

Edit: And so it begins. CBC just showed 3 Asian guys from Vancouver being harassed on the streets of Montreal for speaking English.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

• HabFab says:

Zep, we like Montrealers more then Calgarians! Heck, due Calgariens even like Calgary.

PS Love your choice of music, very appropriate.

• ZepFan2 says:

The funny thing is, most of my friends moved to Calgary after the PQ got elected. Now they probably could give a rats ass about Quebec.

I’m hoping the word “partition” will make it’s way back into the discussion.

Thanks HF. I’ve been trying to keep the song selections to reflect what’s going on…wait a sec…that sounds like the next song choice.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

• bwoar says:

I lived on Montreal for 4 years & have family who are old school separatists (very nice, friendly people with whom I had no common ground at all). Been told my French is terrible (it’s franco-manitobain, whaddaya want?) It’s hard to reconcile the Anglo population of Montreal with the majority of unilingual, don’t-tread-on-me Quebecers. I don’t think that will change in a 1,000 years. So, yeah man, I am inclined to give ‘em what they want and see how they deal with it. Absolutely I do encourage you to consider leaving a place where you and your family will be discriminated against.

• Cal says:

The justification is Vimy Ridge. Dieppe. Acquire some sense of history and realize how important Canada is to the world.

• bwoar says:

Canada’s revered warfighting is reason to fear Quebec separation? Sorry, still not getting the picture, Cal.

6. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

RE the posts below on the patriotic rallys of Canadians leading up to the 1980 and 1995 referendums: It is always heart warming to hear story’s like that, in times of deep despair such as this it provides a light in the black and helps me regain hope in humanity and Canada in particular, It is always good to know that there are still good, logical, non-crazy people in La Belle Provence like Shiram, HabFanSince72, MattyLeg, ZepFan and many many more.
    the 1980 refurendum was WAAY before my time and the same can kind of be said about the 1995 referendum (that piece of sh*t Parizau still makes me sick though) however, if the worst happens, and a referendum is called, and another one of those Canadian wake up calls need to be held in Victoria Square, or Dominion Square, or anywhere else, rest assured I will be there.

Shout out to Bripro and Cal for restoring my faith in humanity, and Canada.

PS: ZEP FAN, sorry if I offended you man, it was an extreamly poor choice of words.

• Bripro says:

Hey Dave. Thanks for the well-wishes.
      Who knows. If this goes the wrong way, we might become neighbours.
      I don’t know where east is for you in Ontario, but we were in Glenngary/Alexandria on the weekend, and I wouldn’t mind a place on the water there.

• ZepFan2 says:

I think it’s time to pull out the “partition” card.

Leave Montreal in Canada!!

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

• Bripro says:

I can promise you this.
          Having many friends in the south-western region of the Province (and this would include the West Island), if ever there is to be a referendum, we will rally for one of our own, for exactly the reason you’ve stated.
          Canada first, Quebec second.
          Don’t get me wrong, I love my province, but I hate the politics of it all.
          And the political media are as fanatical as the hockey media.

• Ian Cobb says:

Is the US military ready at the boarder, to protect the St. Lawrence seaway again.?

• ZepFan2 says:

@EOHF

There was no offense taken and no need to apologise. I just happened to be watching the TV and Marois’s mug was front and center.

Sorry if I made you feel that way!

Long days and pleasant nights, my fellow Habs fan!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

Brian and Dave!!
    I am always photographed on my good side for eye candy appeal as well. !

8. Bripro says:

And in the spirit of re-surfacing ice surfaces or football fields, I thought I had seen everything.

9. Bripro says:

There is no firm date committed between the NHL executive and the NHLPA.
    With its initial offer, Bettman showed the league (and owner)’s true intentions. Requesting another 24% reduction in salary. Games be damned! And he asked for the elimination of arbitration, the reduction of the length of contracts to 5 years (one issue I agree with) and the extension of RFA from 3 to 5 years.
    Fehr countered with an increase in the cap of 2%, 4% and 6% for the next three years, and back to 57% in the fourth (and that was conditional to the health of the league). I think they tried to tread on the side of reason, as opposed to maintaining a hard line on salaries.
    So the little twerp countered with a reduction of 11%, 8.5% and 6% which the players have refused.
    So with that, there is no firm date to battle across a table, but rather an agreement to speak on the phone.
    One gets the feeling that the 15th will come and go, with no result.
    My question is, who will blink first?

• HabFab says:

Where does the 24% come from???
      The two parties are scheduled to hold meetings in NYC on September 12th and 13th.
      BUT not with each other, the NHLPA is having an emergency players meeting while the NHL Board of Governors are having it’s regularly scheduled preseason meeting.
      Can we arrange an accidental meeting please?
      Yeats old buddy we need you to mesh some minds here!

• Bripro says:

Fehr has mentioned, confirmed by Renaud Lavoie (RDS) that the current salary rollback request represented “just under 25%”.

• HabFab says:

Yeah, I have been seeing that and it has puzzled me but just had an epiphany. They mean a 24% reduction from their present 57% or almost 14 points. It sounds worse at 24% then dropping from 57 to 43%. Bastards are trying to play with my mind!!

10. My fellow Hockey Inside Out Family

For 11 days Gary Smith, AKA Guy Smith has been harassing me with emails.

I managed to track him thoroughly to different locations in Poughkeepsie.

At the City library he was sending emails out to all kinds of people. He was caught there, and suspended/banned from using their facilities.

He (Smith) then moved on to Vassar College and with some help from a HIO member in the that city, we managed to track him down last week, however he got away.

This morning, Mr. Smith decided to continue his ways and sent me another message. This man is truly disturbed, so this time I replied to his emails and kept him online.

All the while Vassar College security had him under observation.
    They escorted him off campus, and explained that what he was doing is wrong.

I am sure this Mr. Smith will now move on to another location and try from there, because that’s what these people do.

For all those involved, I’ve had enough.

I have no problem heading to Poughkeepsie, NY and charge this guy with this petty crime. A crime is a crime.

Both locations have his personal information and both locations asked if I wanted him charged. I said no thinking he would stop.

So now it’s all up to him.

So for anyone else who received sick, twisted, harassing and disturbing emails from this member, then let me know. I have enough to charge him, but it never hurts to have necessary information to make a bigger case.

Chris; Thanks for all your help, you’re a good man.

All I want to do is live peace, and quiet. Raise my kids to be good people, build them a future through my business, and ensure they have the necessities of life. Really simple stuff, I just can’t believe there are people out there who just don’t get it. They must have led horrible lives to become the people they are today. So sad.

Sorry about the drama, but he brought it on and messed with the wrong man. (hehe you messed with the wrong Marine :lol: )

Have a great Tuesday

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Bripro says:

Shane, That idiot is still around? I wish I could help, but there’ nothing legal I can do for you ;) .

• Chrisadiens says:

Glad to help Shane. HIO is a family. We gotta stick together.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• showey47 says:

Who is this guy? Is he one of those guys who post here under 10 different user names and gets banned every week?

• kempie says:

What a tool this guy must be. I can’t imagine what he gets out of doing this stuff. Disappointing to say the least that you have to go through this crap.

• Cal says:

Press charges, Shane. Do what’s necessary to keep the bleeping bleeper from the internet.

• Psycho29 says:

Unbelievable….Some people have too much time on their hands…

Maybe we should offer him a free plane ticket to the Summit in October. (One way of course)….
      With all the road construction in Montreal; one would have to be careful not to fall into a hole that was being dug up and about to be filled in with concrete.

Hang in there Shane!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sholi, I’m sorry to tell you, but I deleted some vulgar scribblings on my blog from this individual last week when you told us the story. When they were first posted on my site I had wryly replied, letting him know I was on to him (he posted as anonymous, but said in the text he was ‘BurlingtonHab’ in one case, and Sean Bonjovi in the other), but didn’t want to start censoring anyone’s unpopular opinions, so I left them up there. After reading your post though, I gave my head a shake and realized that his comments were offensive and discriminatory, not just abusive toward me, so I took them down.

I can give you an affidavit if that helps. Better yet, I’m pretty sure there’s some way to recover these comments? Chrisadiens or other IT types (you know who you are, the guys we make fun of until we need you), can you help with this? I think Google archives everything, so nothing is ever really deleted?

Anyway, Sholi let me know if I can help.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I haven’t been following this very closely (sorry, I don’t know if I have read all your previous posts) but IMO you should charge him with whatever you can if you feel it is worth your time.

I mean, what kind of grown man harrasses someone like this? Aside from being wrong, you don’t know if it could escalate… maybe not towards you, but to someone else (who may not be able to deal with it).

Is there any reason he has targetted you?

Again, I don’t remember the exactly what he did (I only saw a few follow up posts a few weeks ago) but if he seems nuts and possibly dangerous, I think you need to do something.

11. db says:

Welcome to the family John Madden!

From tsn:

“The Montreal Canadiens have added another former player to their staff, hiring former NHLer John Madden to their amateur player recruitment group.

The club announced that Madden, 39, will be responsible for the scouting and evaluation of free agent players at the US college level.

Madden played 898 games over 13 NHL seasons, scoring 165 goals and 348 points.

He emerged as one of the league’s top defensive forwards, winning the Frank J. Selke Trophy in 2001 and also finishing as a finalist for the award in 2003 and 2004.

He helped the New Jersey Devils win the Stanley Cup in 2000 and 2003 before joining the Chicago Blackhawks in 2009 and helping lead the franchise to its first Stanley Cup since 1961.”

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Advice please.

I’m in Mercier riding. The incumbent is Amir Khadir. This is the man who once organized a boycott of a mom and pop shoe store in his own riding because some of the shoes they sold were from Israel. A man whose relentless anti-Americanism and Anti-anything-English are an embarrassment to Quebec. I find him utterly loathsome.

However, the likeliest candidate to unseat him is from the PQ, and I don’t want them to get a majority.

So what do I do?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

You face a dilemna many of us face here in Canada, where the choices we are given to vote for are varying degrees of dog excrement. It is a shame the individual I continue to lend my support to locally in both federal and provincial elections. End of day I vote for the party. I do however, ensure that my local representative knows how I feel about their lack of integrity, ethics etc….

• Cal says:

Vote strategically. We Quebecers are the best in the world at getting that done.

• SmartDog says:

Vote for the candidate you think the most of.

The odds of your vote deciding the election are worse than the odds of you winning Lotto649. So the only way to vote – and the only reason – is to express your beliefs about who should win.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

“Vote for the candidate you think the most of. ”

OK I am writing in “Saku Koivu”.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Wintercount says:

what would Friedrich do?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Friedrich would have an almighty migraine and remain in bed in a darkened room the whole day.

When he recovered he would write an aphorism.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Amir Khadir is an enemy of Canada, the west, civilization, and the human race.

but I think stopping the PQ is worth voting for him, it’s no like QS will get a majority………

• punkster says:

We so rarely get the chance to have any meaningful input to how things are run that the impact of one single vote can seem unimportant.

The thing I keep in mind is quite simple. I’m fortunate to live in a democracy that permits me to have a voice no matter how small, that allows me to discuss openly with others my likes, dislikes, and suggestions and that does not threaten me with prison or death if I disagree with any candidate, party or political system.

I vote for who or what I believe in.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

Which makes it more difficult this time around….
        Who to vote for?
        If I was aiming for honesty or an individual who addressed the issues, I wouldn’t be voting. Not this time, anyhow.

13. mark-ID says:

If only our new and improved scouting staff could win some games for us

14. novahab says:

Big trade rumor coming out of Montreal. Colorado has made Landeskog captain at the tender age of 19. So is Duchene trade bait for Subban. It maybe the only way MB could trade him and survive. Myself sign Subban, there is no one in this league I would I would accept as a trade for Subban, including Crosby or Ovie.

• SmartDog says:

“Big trade rumor coming out of Montreal”

Coming out of Montreal? Out of where – your friend? A 17-year-old insider?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Newf_Habster says:

It would be the best that you stop following hockeyyinsiderr or the_creasy.

• bleedhabs81 says:

you wouldn’t trade Subban for Crosby…

Even with his concussion/soft tissue whatever, he is worth a gamble IMO.

Or OVI? You are just silly. PK is good… but last I checked, the whole team couldn’t climb on his shoulders. Crosby and Ovechkin can carry a whole team.

So, just a quick question for everyone, has the league completely figured Ovi out? Is he doomed to be a mid 30’s, possibly 40 goal scorer from now on? Or is he just uninspired in Washington these days?

Personally, I still think he can do damage (as per my silly comment above).

15. mark-ID says:

Gabriel Landeskog named captain of the Avalanche….man are they getting young lol

Youngest captain in NHL history

• commandant says:

What a player he is. One of the most complete young prospects I’ve seen in a long time. He may never win a scoring title, but he just does everything to win, and everything you need from a player.

He might be young, but he’s gonna be a hell of a leader.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• BrianSkrudland says:

He seems like a genuinely solid young man, as well. My son and nephew (7 and 8) met him at the NHL Fan Zone in Ottawa last year during All-Star Game festivities. Young Landeskog gave them all the time in the world, as if there wasn’t a line-up of kids vying for his attention.

Based upon my limited exposure to him as a player, I agree that he brings a complete game to the ice. He will be an important contributor to the Avs and the league for many years.

16. kempie says:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
    John Madden se joint au personnel de recrutement amateur des Canadiens./ John Madden joins the Canadiens’ amateur player recruitment group. Madden will be responsible for the scouting and evaluation of free agent players at the US college level.

17. twilighthours says:

UCe,

I love how you pick and choose when to pick and choose your battles over grammar/spelling. Some days on here, you must have to exercise extreme restraint!

18. HabFab says:

CanadiensMTL Today would have been Emile Bouchard’s 93rd bday. Gone but not forgotten. Read about Butch’s lasting legacy: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=82784

19. Psycho29 says:

The answer to my question (Most Cups in the 1990’s) is Larry Murphy (2 with Pit, 2 with Det) . Congrats to all who got it right!

20. Bripro says:

Who is to say that ours isn’t a passionate land?
    I remember as far back as the late sixties, during an era when our Canadiens dominated the hockey world.
    But our Canadiens were not only a hockey team, but a glue that held a dividing nation together.
    Yet, at the insistence of radicals led by Pierre Bourgault and René Levesque, France’s General DeGaule uttered those now-infamous words “Vive le Québec libre”. That would change the mood in Quebec forever.
    In the 70s, when the independence movement was at it’s highest momentum, I chose to stay here, because this was and is my Canada, my nation.
    In May of 1980, we rallied at the Dominion Square Building and were joined by tens of thousands from the rest of Canada, who knew that we, as federalist Canadians, wanted nothing to do with independence and wanted to stay Canadian. It was encouraging to know that we were not alone. That day came and went, and by a mere one half of one percent, I preserved my Canadian citizenship along with thousands of others.
    But the scars of that era live on, and I hear when my friends and fellow-countrymen from the west say “Here we go again!”
    Or “just let them separate and we can have proper representation in the house of commons”.
    I hear this cry and as a member of a forgotten Anglophone and Allophone minority I say:
    “Please don’t forget about us. Canada is our nation, for all to share and love.”
    My father fought in WWII and saw many friends die.
    My grandfather was shot twice in WWI.
    And I served in the Military reserve.
    All of this for Canada, and for Quebec within Canada.
    This is as much our country as anyone other Canadian’s.
    Please remember that we all strive for the betterment of this great nation.
    And I really don’t feel like providing a passport if I chose to go watch a game in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver.
    Here’s to all my fellow Canadians who believe in this nation.
    Let’s hope I can still call you as such when we meet for the summit, without a border crossing.

• Cal says:

It was May 1995, Bripro. I was there, too. I took the commuter train to Victoria Station. Needless to say, it was packed with people. Spontaneous Canadian anthem singing. People on the platform handing out wee red and white flags. Thousands and thousands of people crowding Dominion Square. Speeches. Passion. Wild applause. Desperate Canadians not wanting the country broken up by extremists.
      It was the most Canadian I have ever felt, save for a visit to the Cenetaph in Ottawa to spend time at the grave of the Unknown Soldier.

• Bripro says:

Indeed Cal.
        Busloads and busloads of supporters. With tags like :
        “Winnipeg loves you!” or “The only thing that separates us is a few thousand miles of history.”
        I climbed one of the only trees in the square and watched in amazement as everyone united.
        Just as you said, it was the most Canadian I’ve ever felt as well.
        What a wonderful time!

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Bripro! Don’t worry Amigo there are plenty of us outside Quebec that still stick up for you guys. Whenever I hear that redneck crap up here,I speak up. Just like. I’m sure you guys do when you hear that racist sh*t coming from the Separatists.
      Good Luck Amigo!

21. bwoar says:

I see there’s an election in QC today. And that the Liberals have been in power for a long while. I guess that means PQ for 8 more years of complaining about the ROC, before we can come full circle and continue complaining about provincial Liberals. Has there been a time where this wasn’t the case? What happened? Will anything break this cycle?

And since I haven’t mentioned it yet today, Jack Todd is a simpering toad, with no idea which way to hold a compass, a hockey stick or a coherent thought. He reads Larry Brooks’ stools for his opinions, which makes the Gazette even worse toilet paper than the NY Post.

22. HabFab says:

hefteronthehabs – #HABS confirmed dates for rookie camp: Sept 18-21. Golf tourny Sept 19. Main camp sched to start Sept 21st.

We can only hope!

23. BrianSkrudland says:

Trivia:

Most shots on goal in a game by a single player?

Any guesses? The total is incredible, I’d say.

24. BrianSkrudland says:

More trivia:

This player holds the NHL playoff records for goals and assists by a rookie. Who is he?

25. Psycho29 says:

Just a trivia question for all you experts out there.

Who is the only player to have won 4 Stanley Cups in the 1990’s?

I was kind of surprised!

No Goggle-ing over the Interweb allowed!!!!!

26. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

URGENT MESSAGE TO ALL HIO POSTERS IN LA BELLE PROVENCE!

IDK who you vote for, it’s none of my business, but PLEASE, ANYTHING BUT PQ!!!!!!!!!!! ANYONE BUT MAROIS!!!!!!!!

As with every provincial election in Quebec in the past 36 years, the future of Canada is in your hands, don’t let us down.

dieu bénisse vous tous (except for those separatist deleted)

• ZepFan2 says:

Pfft the ROC could care less what happens to the English in Quebec. Except when it comes to provincial elections and referendums.
      For that alone I should vote for the PQ and then vote yes in the next referendum!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

What I meant was that a PQ victory would no doubt lead to further alienation and ant-english fervor in Quebec and make traveling to Montreal to see games at the Bell Center very difficult for the rest of us

• Bill says:

The PQ look likely to win, but with a minority government. Given that, and given that support for sovereignty in Quebec is at a very low ebb, AND given some obvious realities – that Quebec can barely maintain its present social programs even WITH the massive transfer payments they get from the Fed – I cannot see a referendum coming out of this election.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• ed lopaz says:

I think that the PQ will find many reasons to hate Canada over the next 5 years and each one will be propped up by the same media that turned the students pots and pans into a life and death crisis.

The reality of today can easily be changed by PQ/media driven propaganda.

• ZepFan2 says:

I’m sorry you wont be able to come to Montreal to see a Habs game if there’s a referendum. For me there’s more pressing issues if that scenario should arise. Like getting my ass out of this god forsaken province. Hockey would be near the bottom of my list of things to do.

Ed, I couldn’t agree more. The media wins elections these days. It’s sickening.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Stuck in the Middle

• Un Canadien errant says:

Guys, province and Provence are two different things.

Provence is a specific region of France. A province is the same meaning in English and French.

Provence and province are also pronounced differently.

I know Provence gets a lot of play in the media, due to the tourism and culinary specialties, so some people assume it means province and it’s pronounced that way, but it isn’t.

The Province of Québec= La Province du Québec.

Not picking on you EOHF, it’s just a common mistake that I see often here on HIO.

Down Goes Brown found the original application form used to help create roster for Team Canada 1972.

• Bripro says:

Whoever wrote those questions was the author of my final University exam.
      Hence the reason that the Ministry of Education sent me a letter stating that my answers were too “tongue-in-cheek” and I would have to present myself for a do-over.

28. habstrinifan says:

Coming ‘late’ to the game of hockey and really being nothing more than a crazy habsfan with only ‘armchair’ credentials, I must admit to sometimes saying to myself “why didnt you just shut up?”

I therefore understand that the source is crazy and untrustworthy. But I can’t get the crazy idea outt amy head. And believe that regardless of the ‘source’, it would be great GM’ing if the Penguis go after AK46 to play with Crosby.

It’s worth a gamble. I mean you have a supremely skilled and big forward with great hands and puck-handling and who can withstand the tough stuff. And right now his asking price would be at its lowest. And also he may be in a ‘hit bottom’ frame of mind re his career and thus ready to bounce back.

I think anyone who loves hockey would pay to see AK46 on a line with Crosby. If he fails there’s no harm no foul. But if it awakens this guy ..WOW! The game will benefit.

I really love this idea. And we, habs fans, wil really be able to come to a final decision as to the real value of this ex-hab enigma. As I said before, AK46 has never played with a player like Crosby.

F the source! It might be a baseless rumour from a twitter troll. But to this unexpert hockey mind, it is an intriguing prospect.

• Luke says:

I agree with you, but the thing that would drive me nuts is coming here and reading all the posts about how the Habs screwed up by letting the great AK46 get away.

Naturally they’d be from the people who have been screaming for years about what a wasted pick AK46 was…

29. mark-ID says:

Question:

why is Nail Yakupov no longer with the Sting? Especially considering there might not be an NHL season. I was looking at their roster, and didn’t see his name.

It would be nice to see him and Galchenyuk have at least a little more time to play together.

30. Mattyleg says:

Hey folks, big day here in Mtl-town.

For those of you worrying about a PQ victory, don’t get your knickers in a twist; it’s not an automatic separation referendum if they do.

Marois has said that she’ll call a referendum immediately once the time is right. Bouchard said the same thing, and never called one. The PQ can’t really afford to lose another referendum, so they have to be absolutely sure of winning in order to call one.

That’s not going to happen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HardHabits says:

Last poll put people intending to vote yes at 28%. Embers burning level.

At the risk of getting political, isn’t the greatest power the PQ have is the threat of seperating? Seems to me, the worst they could have happen is actually winning such a referendum, because then they will have to deliver on the promise and I for one, don’t think it ends pretty for the people of Quebec.

Just my two cents, again remember I don’t live there nor have ever lived in Quebec, just my outside looking in perspective.

• Cal says:

I am hoping for minority CAQ with Liberals retaining enough seats to be the balance of power, but I wouldn’t bet 5 cents on that outcome.

Must see video! Ok click the link to the story in the Star, then scroll down to watch the video. AWESOME!

Given all the Summit talk, here is the story on why Eagleson is not a part of the ceremonies. Personally, I think the writer in this story is to sympathetic towards Eagleson. THe fact that almost all those players almost voted him to attend the ceremonies is amazing to me, given what he was actually doing to many of those players.

Good for Espo, Parkie and Dennis Hull.

• Cal says:

Good article, but the most telling quote is this one: “It’s time you and the government recognized these guys because some of these players are hurting financially…” That’s Alan Eagleson talking. You know, the one that helped screw the players over so they were hurt financially? Glad he’s left at home to read his book after screwing over so many players.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. The man is a great crook who is trying to gloss over his great crime.

When I was growing up, the story was that NHL salaries were low compared to the other major sports, but that the tradeoff was a great pension system that would take care of the players. So they went along and took smaller wages, even though they’d count the fans in the seats and wonder where all that money went. It turns out that Eagleson was colluding with the League to keep salaries low, that there was no corresponding amount being pumped into the pension fund, and that he was helping himself to that money for his personal gain from that fund.

One redeeming quality Mike Milbury has is that he was one of the first and most strident detractors of Alan Eagleson. He would ask to see the books, to see where all that money the owners were supposedly paying into the pension fund was actually going, and he was belittled and stymied and intimidated for it, but he kept at his campaign until he was proven right.

To have Alan Eagleson at the reunion would be like having Chuck Guité and Alfonso Gagliano attend a Federal Liberal Party reunion.

33. HabFab says:

Dave_Stubbs via twitter – Told this morning there’s nothing new on contract talks b/w #Habs & @PKSubban1. P.K.’s still smiling – so that’s nothing new, either

34. HabFab says:

The KHL gears up to kick off a new season, will have teams in 7 nations this season;

So if AK really wanted to go to KHL instead of NHL wouldnt he have signed over there already? I find it interesting that he has not done so. Seems to me he wants to be in the NHL, unlike Radulov who couldn’t get back to KHL fast enough after having an NHL team do backflips to get him back in the league.

Quite the ads on that website you linked Frank, People looking to exchange wedding vows with a new bride from Russia are in luck! :)

• HabFab says:

Shucks, that Ad Blocker is too good. Missing the good stuff.

• showey47 says:

I think ak has a multi year offer waiting for him in the khl but he wants to get one here. I think he realizes if he signs a multi year deal in the khl he will never see the nhl again. Unfortuantely for him,some by his own doing,doesn’t have much in the way of leverage. Though i think he could be the steal of the ufa crop if lined up with spezza,crosby/malkin or another bonified #1 center.

He seemed to be a more dynamic player when Carbo was running the team. I don’t think AK’s game, his demeanour etc.. meshed with JM whatsoever. Seemed like AK would always be the first forward to get the JM doghouse treatment.

• SmartDog says:

This is a VERY good point and one that is forgotten.

AK was treated like sh#t by Martin. Constantly. He was better before, and better on a line with Pleks. I think he’s worth having back – he’d probably come at a discount for a year. And if he doesn’t work out, so what? It’s a low risk, high return gamble.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• showey47 says:

Martin was an idiot,even a worse coach then carbo was. He totally mismanaged ak. It looked like anytime ak would find some chemistry with a player,martin seemed compelled to screw with it. I

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think saying that Andrei needs a bona fide centreman to be a productive player and this year’s UFA steal is damning him with faint praise. Every team looks for players who make their own luck, are authors of their own success.

I thought that with René Bourque’s injury he would be positioned to receive a call from Marc Bergevin. There must be even more skeletons in his closet that we don’t know about, the book on him must be even worse than we think, for him to still be on the sidelines.

• SmartDog says:

I don’t agree that there needs to be a lot more to know. I think AK could help this team, if at a discount (because it’s a gamble obviously). But I think Bergevin is just looking forward. (Unless of course you are French, and then a few backward glances are okay).

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey, I’m on the record as being in favour of bringing back Andrei on the cheap to fill in this year’s hole on the left wing. The lack of action in that regard I guess tells us all we need to know. Marc Bergevin said that while he’s always looking, the current roster is pretty much the team we’ll have at training camp. He also added that there could be a rookie surprising all with a good showing and snatching a roster spot. So I think we know where we stand, we’ll succeed with this team, and if not we’ll get another high pick ranking and go from there.

I don’t get your last remark. People from France tend to look back more than others?

• SmartDog says:

My last remark – I mean that Therien and more surprisingly Boulon…. are two throwbacks that I do not believe would have been considered if there wasn’t an effort to improve the French content on this team. And be extension – if AK were from Quebec, I think he’d stand a better chance of being on this team.

I don’t entirely disagree with what I believe to be happening…. I certainly think it’s great that Bergevin has improved Quebec scouting – that’s long overdue and just makes sense in every way. But the Cube? I don’t get that – I hope there is hockey so I can see if I am wrong and he is worth his salt.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• showey47 says:

Every 20 to 30 goal scorer needs at least a very good 2nd line center center,how many 20 to goal scorers are paired up with 3rd and 4th line centers? Its common sense. You think maxpac and cole would score 30 plus with nokelainen and their center? Is this really going to be another “i’m right cause i said so in my own blog even though stats says the opposite” exchange?

I also never said he was this years steal,i said he could be in the right situation. I suggest you talk to current and former nhl players like i do every summer. The stories would blow your mind. I have a hard time believing any skeletons in ak’s closet could be any worse then some of the things i have seen/heard. While you are at it maybe ask what it takes to be a regular 20 goal scorer or more at this level. Considering only about 12% do it every year i would say it takes some level of consistent effort and hockey sense.

• frontenac1 says:

Ak was in the dog house because he was a Dogbody last year. He was playing like he couldn”t give a sh*t. Just because you don”t like the coach is no reason to let down your teamates and fans and screw the pooch every shift.

35. rogus says:

I can’t see the possibility of separation changing the value of the Canadian dollar. Let’s say that Quebec does separate. They would then have their own currency, as they would be a sovereign nation. The Canadian dollar would soar, as the encumbrance of Quebecs’ massive debt would now be on them. Quebec, on the other hand, may find themselves with a drastically reduced currency value, and further their financial problems without equalisation payments from the West. I would suggest that the separatists out there weigh the pros and cons carefully…what if you got your wish??? A lot has changed in the financial landscape of this country since the 80’s.

• HabFab says:

And where do the Habs play? Also of note, it has always been PQ policy that when they do separate, they will continue to use the Canadian dollar. The have your cake and eat it too, is breed into them :)

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think you grasp the concept of ‘Sovreignty Association’.
      Quebec wants to keep the Canadian currency.

Plus, if Quebec did ‘separate’, the Canadian dollar would suffer incredibly. The dollar is not ‘encumbered’ by any of Quebec’ debt. It is exactly where it should be to keep economic relations with the US and Europe profitable. A ‘soaring’ dollar, as you seem to hope for, would destroy trade with the US, who wouldn’t want to have to pay more for Canadian goods, and would go elsewhere.

The dollar would be devalued in the effect of QC’s separation because of the climate of political instability. You’ll get it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. HabFab says:

PK on Canada AM this morning. Video starts off saying not available but wait a second and it starts;

• SmartDog says:

Some anti-hab racist tech guy trying to keep us from seeing the video!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFab says:

Filmed in TO, nuff said….

The only glitch when I watched was the initial commercial for some Dance show! After that everything was fine. PK well spoken as usual, talks about enjoying being in Montreal and how his contract is just a process. For all the fear mongers out there saying PK is getting screwed over by Habs etc… once again more reason not to believe some rubbish.

37. ed lopaz says:

A large part of the increase in NHL revenue is attributed to the strong Canadian dollar vs the U.S dollar. Canadian teams, especially Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver generate tons of Canadian dollar revenue for the league.

So what happens when we face 5 years of political uncertainty after a PQ win today?

Sure. Today’s numbers show that Independence support is only at 30% in Quebec.

But the PQ will stir the pot; create controversies; create conflict and blame the “federal” over and over again, until that number favoring Independence rises to 40, 45, and even 50+%.

As these conflicts arise, the pressure against the Canadian dollar will rise accordingly.

All this points to a significantly LOWER Canadian dollar going forward.

We could easily see 80-85 cents again before 2013 is done, as the slow inevitable drop begins.

That is a relatively calm scenario.

But if the conflicts arise that bring on the “Winning Conditions” for Quebec Independence, we could be back to a 60 cent Canadian dollar.

In September 2004 the Canadian dollar was valued at .77 vs the U.S.

Today the dollar hovers in the high ’90’s and challenges par against the U.S.

In September 2002 the Canadian dollar was around .64 vs the U.S.

That was only 10 years ago.

It was in April 2003 that Charest and the Liberals took power in Quebec and they have not lost since.

The effect of a PQ win today on the Canadian dollar will be negative – and over their 5 year term we could once again see a steep fall in the value of the Canadian currency.

Overall NHL revenue will drop accordingly.

I don’t dispute at all that the Canadian DOllar is a huge factor in the revenues for the NHL. Having said that, I am not well enough versed in the current political platforms of the various parties in Quebec to know what this election will do to our dollar in the short or long run.

Somehow, I suspect the upcoming US Election will have an even greater impact.

Lets just hope our economy can improve, and along the way we can enjoy some great hockey!

CHeers Ed, your concern is respected here my friend.

• Cal says:

Charest took every opportunity he could to erode his support. The premier of Quebec has only three things to get right: Health, Education and Transportation.
      The Health system is going more and more private, meaning the taxes he collected from me for this purpose is going where? WTF knows.
      Education: the highest rate of high school dropouts of all the developed countries.
      Transportation: have you seen the state of the roads all over the province?
      Lastly, the debt. Quebec is $250 billion in the hole. In other words, after about 9 years of this guy in charge, we are worse off. Surprisingly, though (sarcasm font), none of his friends are. Imagine that.

Frankly, the PLQ stinks inside and out and is terribly corrupt. The worst part of it all is that I am a staunch federalist, but when the only party that talks (never acts) that way takes votes for granted and treats all Quebecers with disdain, well, they can go to hell.

• HardHabits says:

My view is that if you are a progressive then you should vote QS, if you want independence for Quebec then vote ON, if you are a federalist then vote CAQ. Anybody voting PQ or PLQ hasn’t evolved much.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The impending collapse of the European economy, and the subsequent fall in the price of crude oil, will have a greater effect on the loonie.

Remember the Canadian dollar is a petrodollar now.

The threat of independence might hurt Quebec but it won’t affect the $CAD very much.

Also as pointed out repeatedly, there is no appetite for independence. The PQ win would be a rejection of a tired, incompetent and corrupt Liberal government. Not a rekindling of nationalism.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

My fear which I realize is remote, is that you have a PQ victory with an unilateral declaration of independence, coupled with a prejudice anti French right wing Canadian government based on Western Canada support…what the F am I saying!!!!!

• HardHabits says:

A UDI would not be recognized by Canada. More people in Quebec support the Clarity Act than support Independence.

• HabFab says:

- An UDI is not recognized under the UN Charter hence Civil Wars that go forever.
            – Czech Slovakia split under similar conditions to that I mentioned.

• SmartDog says:

Hey – didn’t I see you on Doomsday Preppers? Are you that Spiderhole guy???

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

More to the point, how the election affects the NHL ought to be pretty near the bottom of considerations.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Instead of talking about 25 year old hockey junk, lets get some articles about the AHL, OHL,QHL WHL Far more happening in these leagues than people realize.

• HabFab says:

Ian, did you check out the link I provided down below 7:55. The news in a nut shell.

• Lafleurguy says:

Wow IC, unexpectedly stern from you, one of this sites’s statesman.

“May you live in interesting times.”

I would suspect with Mr. Boone now having a much more limited role on HI/O we will need to start relying on some of the posters for links to current hockey talk. Habfab, 24Cups and Commandent usually provide us a nice array of links to various hockey stories.

BUt I understand where you are coming from Ian. I think the CBA Talks, or perhaps lack thereof, have put a sour taste in many of our hockey appetites.

Have a great day Ian!

Some players and NHL personnel post on this site, under different avatars and names.!

Wonder what happened to Mr. Bugs. I wonder what name he posts under now on here.?

• Cal says:

I think any NHL players or personnel that post here would have to be insane. The constant criticism and abuse of players on boards like these would drive any people actually related to the Habs away.

• Duke_Rauol says:

I miss Bugs, always enjoyed what he had to say.

——————————————————————-
      We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

40. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS

1. Does all this hockey nostalgia do it for you? Or make you go ‘meh’?

2. If a lock-out happens what hockey – if any – will you follow more closely?

3. When Buttman says “we moved $460 million” in negotiations and the NHLPA didn’t react, does your mind go:
    a. Yes this is true and Fehr should have given back more
    OR
    b. Sure you moved – from our own fantasy starting point
    OR
    c. Both

4. When Dreger says the real negotiations won’t start to Sept 10, does that seem a) TRUE or b) like a stupid thing to say?

5. On a more optimistic note, LW A Kostitsyn is out there, and without a contract (for reasons well all know). But he plays well with Pleks, can score 20+ goals a year, and we are short a top 6 LW. If he would come for $2.5 million for 1 year – yay or nay?

SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• commandant says:

1. Yes, I love the history of the game.

2. Junior, AHL, NCAA,

3. b

4. True, of all industries. Things don’t get serious till the last week 95% of the time

5. I say no, we’ve been there, done that. Its time to move on.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

1. With the NHLPA and NHL pissing away, it’s nice to reminisce. Then again , you may not be old enough to remember it as vividly as I do.
      2. Look in on juniors- I am spoiled by the high quality of NHL hockey and can’t help but notice the numerous mistakes in junior hockey, but it’s still hockey.
      3. When both sides talk, all I’m hearing is “Blah blah blah bs bs bs…”
      4. More like the 12th or 13th.
      5. Nay. We’ve seen the song and dance for 7 seasons. Anyone who isn’t that interested during the playoffs should have been set adrift long ago.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Jack Todd in the Gazette yesterday:

“Bettman’s most recent stunt was so cute, it could have been a Kodak Moment. First, he hit the players with an “offer” that was more like a rollback to 1994. Then, when he softened that “offer” ever so slightly, he made like he had offered an enormous concession.

Bettman is like a bully neighbour who knocks on your door and says he’s going to be taking your house, your wife, your kids, your cars and your dog. You mutter something about places where the sun don’t shine and he leaves.

Two weeks later, the neighbour is back. Just to prove what a nice guy he is, he says, he’s willing to make concessions. He’s still going to take the house, the wife, the kids and the cars — but this time, he’s willing to let you keep the dog and live in the basement.”

This isn’t even a contest. Anybody who thinks the owners are on solid ground on this is alone on an island, against every reasonable hockey commentor and analyst who have clearly articulated that the Players’ Association position is logical, reasonable and constructive compared to their opposition. To be ‘on the owners’ side’ means to be aligned with mendacious fraudsters such as climate-change deniers or creation scientists. Or Mitt Romney.

———————————————————————–
      This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

I read the Jack Todd story, but couldn’t post the link as I had posted a story of his a week or so ago. For me to post Jack Todd columns that often would require me to do some soul searching.

However, at the end of his column he does provide a well deserved shout out to our friend Mike Boone.

• Cal says:

Both sides don’t give a crap about the fans. Until they come to an agreement, they can all go to hell. (Can’t you tell it’s Election Day in Quebec?)

• SmartDog says:

Hear! Hear!

This is the only acceptable stance for a true fan of the sport. Just give us hockey you buncha greedy bastahds!

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

41. HabFab says:

PK is on Canada AM in a couple of minutes.

• Lafleurguy says:

Thanks Fab! Watching him right now.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafleurguy says:

This kid ain’t 23! Assistant “C” really soon. Different personality, but I would say as articulate as Ken Dryden.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Chris says:

I’d honestly be a bit surprised if Subban got an “A” anytime soon. I think Erik Cole is pretty obviously next in line, or Tomas Plekanec. Josh Gorges already has one. And if one of the kids gets one, I think it will be Max Pacioretty before Subban. Pacioretty is also articulate and well-spoken on top of being a good player, just like Subban. And with all his off-ice charity work, Pacioretty has set himself up well in that regard.

Pacioretty is “settled down” (he married Maxim Afinogenov’s sister) and is clearly committed to the Canadiens over the long-term. With that in mind, I’d be a bit surprised if he wasn’t being groomed for a leadership position, which might explain why he was seemingly Bergevin’s first priority this summer amongst the kids.

42. accp says:

Ak- like him or hate him. He’s still better than any player we have on our bottom six.

• showey47 says:

He is good enough to play on any teams top 6,when he wants to be. Though he has been his own worst enemy sometimes(nashville with radulov),i can’t think of a forward who was more mishandled as a hab since ryder. The guy put up pretty good numbers for someone who was giving limited minutes with some pretty limited linemates. If he ever ends up playing next to spezza,crosby/malkin or any other elite center,given quality minutes and PP time like a good coach would do. I would say ak could easily be a 35-40 guy. For a guy who is apparantly so selfish,he came out and said he wanted to stay in montreal and would take a pay cut to do so.

43. HabFab says:

Interesting if true;

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha

Don Fehr does not collect any salary during a lockout of NHL players. Bettman still collects his $8M.

44. frankcasting says:

Thanks for making that ebook happen, HIO/Gazzoo team. Yeah, watched game 8 in High School home-room class on a rabbit-eared b&w tele, good times for a kid. Team Canada 72 was a joke, however, an out-of-shape goon squad with horrible goaltending, had to resort to Flyers hockey to win.

Speaking of goons, happy election day to those of you still hanging on in La Belle “j’sais pas quoi j’veut être, ‘sti”. Should make for some good reality TV tonight from The Big Smoke. Toodles!

Loving the Habs since 1965

45. HabFab says:

Larry joins twitter;

Lars Eller ‏@Eller_89

Gonna give this twitter thing a shot.

46. commandant says:

A good rule.

If an “insider” is anonymous. 99% chance he’s fake. 1% chance she’s fake.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

As long as the e-book describes how Canada would not have won had Bobby Clarke not broken Valeri Kharlamov’s Ankle. I watched the summit series as a kid… up until that slash. I did not watch another game after that.

So Dion Phaneuf and Elisha Cuthbert are now engaged, hmmm wonder if Sean Avery will be invited to the big day.

Another player in a similar situation to P.K. is Jamie Benn of Dallas Stars. He is looking for a big pay day on his second contract. The details surrounding the upcoming CBA are probably the biggest hangup in players like this signing. The article gives some good reasons as to why a player either sounds now for a monster contract or has to wait until the new CBA is complete.

50. Un Canadien errant says:

Speaking of the insider to the game of hockey who had purportedly been drafted into the league and had worked for three NHL teams as a scout, etc., but was then unmasked as a 17 year old Québec boy with good bilingual skills and too much internet time on his hands, have we noticed that gadfly poster WJC is not around any longer? Or am I the only one? There is a concordance in the timeline that gets me to thinking.

Last season we had the “I support Scott Gomez” kid around for a while, who would pretend that Scott Gomez was his favourite player and was getting a raw deal from fans, and would get his jollies from HIO posters howling at him and attacking his posts. That kid disappeared, and then a month or two later WJC came along, and he would tell everyone that Mr. Gomez would rebound this season, based on no evidence or logic. Anyone who would critique or dismiss him as a has-been would get the condescending “you’ll see in training camp” assurance that he was wrong and would be proven so in time. His superior upbraidings to anyone who mentioned Scott Gomez negatively have ceased, at the same time as the inside boy was outed. Seems like an interesting coincidence.

———————————————————————–
    This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.”r Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• SmartDog says:

You have a much better memory than me for the comings and goings of posters (I remember all this but not the timing).

Are you saying that Gomez was coming on here and changing his identity? Or his mom? Or the 17-year-old insider?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

I too was suspicious that those two were one in the same. As for how it relates to the “Tipster” of NHL going on’s, I am not as sure, but who knows.

This site is as good as site as anywhere to get good hockey insight from hockey starved fans.

51. savethepuck says:

I am willing to accept the departure of AK from the organization, but not willing to downgrade his talent, I thought he had the most skill on most of our recent teams. As a forward, the hardest hitter, the best shot, and one of the best playmakers we had. I wish him the best in his career, but based on the direction our new management is going,unfortunately, I don’t think he fits in our team’s future plans

Sorry that was a reply to Hobie Hanson

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Hobie Hansen says:

If he’s the hardest hitter (which he wasn’t) it’s a very sad situation. Subban absolutely crushes people and Kostitsyn’s hits, like i mentioned below, are a little bump at the tail end of a play. He’s got quantity but no quality.

He may have had a good number of hits and even led a team of smurfs in that category but they had zero affect on anything. He was/is a floater with no emotion, no drive…nothing.

If you have a stacked team with good leadership in place, maybe you add Kostitsyn for secondary scoring. A team like Montreal that’s searching for identity and leadership doesn’t want a loaf like Kostitsyn setting a bad example for the younger players, just ask Nashville.

He’s exactly the type of player you don’t want on your team and thank goodness we have the type of management now that realizes that.

• savethepuck says:

Mostly agreed, but I’ve seen AK do some monstrous hits. My only argument was probably that I felt fans crapped on him or under evaluated him because of all the great players drafted after him. I had absolutely no argument with the fact that there is a perception with his work et6hic or heart, that he’s not a guy you want on your team. Howerver, I’ve also heard reports that he’s a good team mate but that was from his buddy Scott Gomez.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• rhino514 says:

Why is AK a “floater with no emotion”? Because he is belorussian? Because he cajoled into going out for a late night drink with Radulov?
      AK sure looked like he had emotion judging from his reactions after every single one of his goals that i saw.
      There is this idea, completely impossible to prove and based simply on his style of play and appearance, that AK should be a thirty goal scorer but only scores twenty. The fact that he doesn´t accomplish the former makes him a floater with no emotion.
      Does anyone realize how hard it is to consistently score twenty goals or more in the NHL and how few of these players exist? Furthermore, doing so while not always playing on the top six.
      Rene Bourque displays much less “emotion” and looks plain surly. But he is a good old canadian boy and will get an endless amount of chances to prove himself with the hoi poloi. Come on, we in this country are better than that. We are the least racist country in the world so why are we not showing that on the rink? There was nothing wrong with AK. the team was in a death spiral and the move was a combination of some desperation mixed with the very real second round draft pick and a chance to get a free agent of about equal skill for roughly the same salary. Even PG publicly thanked AK for his services and had nothing negative to say about him.

Another thing I have trouble with is when people justify moves or non-moves saying “the team is headed in a new direction”. Most of the time such a phrase is meaningless. The team was also “headed in a new direction” when it didn´t renew Koivu´s contract, somehow hinting that the failure of those habs teams was somehow to his lack of leadership and not bad management.
      Koivu went on to have two more productive seasons and, no matter what people say, is a heart and soul guy and did the Canadiens sweater proud. The centre who took his place…well you all know the story.
      The truth is if a team can land a twenty goal scorer who is big and not deficient defensively for a good price they should do so. There simply aren´t many of them in the league. The habs should definitely do if that were the case, especially with Bourque out for an extended period. The added advantage is that AK is already acclimated to the environment.
      If they don´t go after him, it´s all good, but spare me the “new direction” and the “floater” labels.

• Cal says:

The thing that let to AK being finally given up on by Habs management is the lack of commitment to winning. Or even trying. Disappearing for 10 games, besides the few late hits he would get away with, at a time and coasting cost him a job here. His lack of commitment to winning showed up in Nashville, too, during the playoffs of all times. The, “I know! Let’s go get drunk!” moment has cost him a 3 year minimum 12 mil commitment from the Preds. In short, AK is an idiot who plays hockey, and mostly, not very well at the NHL level.

52. savethepuck says:

It’s exactly what we need as Habs fans, living in the past. A time when including 1993 the Habs had never gone beyond 7 years between Stanley Cups. Now we at best will be 20 years if we win in 2012-13, but the way I look at it is that we can go to 2018-19 and win the Cup and still be the only organization that only went 1 decade without a Cup ( which we are now). I don’t know what we call the decade between 2000 and 2009 ( it’s not the 30’s, 40’s. 50.s,60’s,70’s,80s,90’s, etc…) but that’s the only decade. Looking at the young core and the youth we have in prospects, along with the veterans that a lot of people want to throw to the curb, we can likely get one in the next 7 years. Too many want to live in the past when there were only 6 teams competing for Lord Stanley, or later when there were 12 or 18. The other problem is too many think it’s because we don’t have as many Quebecois ( is that politically correct ) on the team. People need to start realizing that previous to 1968’s draft, players from Quebec were property of the Habs based on where they were from. Even our dynasty of the 70’s based on this would include non drafted players Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Jacques LeMaire, and Yvon Cournoyer, along with even the Pocket Rocket and Pierre Bouchard. Google the rosters of the late 70’s and you will see Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey, Doug Risebrough, Doug Jarvis, Steve Shutt, the Mahovolich bros, Doug Jarvis, and many others along with the Quebecors on the team that were actually drafted ( LaFleur, Lambert, Tremblay)

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s a myth, savethepuck, and we should all know better on this site. Back then all players were available to all teams, they were recruited as teenagers and signed to minor league contracts, and played their way up. The Bruins and the Wings and ‘Hawks could have come to Québec and signed Bernard Geoffrion and Jean Béliveau, they just chose not to, they were cheap and their owners thought they made more money on boxing and wrestling, hockey just filled in empty dates on their arenas’ calendars. The reason the Canadiens won so much is that they were a team that cared about winning more than profits. Yes they had a bunch of kids in their backyard who dreamed of being a star on their hometown team, but so did the Leafs, and it didn’t help them to the degree it did the Canadiens.

A good book to read on this is David Cruise and Allison Griffiths’ “Net Worth”. It’s an absolute must for any hockey fan who wants to understand the history of the NHL, its labour wars, Alan Eagleson, the role of Gordie Howe in setting back the players’ cause decades, how owners exploited players and used fans and the media to their ends.

Two links to address the ‘Montreal had the monopoly on Quebec players’ myth.

———————————————————————–

• savethepuck says:

Whether a myth or not, your response still pays credence to my argument that they still had the best young Quebecors in their back yard that they claimed. The fact that other teams were not smart enough to take them is their stupidity. It was still a different time or era than the modern NHL draft. At that time the Habs had an advantage when it came to young Quebec talent, unlike the modern draft now.
        And I agree with you that I never really understood the process back then, but knew there was something that was the reason that the Habs were predominantly French. Thanx

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

Fine, make that argument then. Don’t perpetuate the myth that the Canadiens only won because they had a ‘monopoly on French players’, as too many uninformed fans post on comment boards.

• savethepuck says:

As I said above, I said thanx for clearing up what I thought, whether it be true or not, the ongoing story on here about Habs in the 60’s and before. I appreciated you clearing up my question. My point was actually referring to the fans who thought there should be as much “French Canadian” talent on today’s team as there was on the 70’s teams. At no time did I ever say that it was the only reason they won. My point was that it was the reason there were more “French Canadians” on the Dynasty teams.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

You use words like “clearing up what I thought”, and I’m not sure that actually explains what’s going on here. You may have been trying to make a broader point, but you used as a pillar for your argument that “players from Quebec were property of the Habs based on where they were from”. That is patently false. Any team could have committed resources to scouting players in Québec and signing them to minor-league contracts. They did, but to a very limited degree, and that is how, off the top of my head, Hubert ‘Pit’ Martin became a ‘Hawk, and Jean Ratelle became a Ranger. The Canadiens didn’t have a monopoly or veto based on geography or language.

The reason I’m bulldogging is that every soused Leaf fan I’ve ever come across in a pub refuses to admit the fundamental rottenness of his team, and always comes back with this fallacious rejoinder, that endures because it’s easier to dismiss the Canadiens’ success that way. It’s hard to accept that the Canadiens cared more about winning, were more driven to win as an organization, were better at it, and that their fans demanded it and were more passionate about hockey than other cities. And that their jerseys are way cooler.

• accp says:

we had players that came to play every game back then. we don’t have those type of players anymore. some take games off. until we fix that. we’ll never have a steady team and it hurts our chances of winning a cup.

53. Hobie Hansen says:

I Noticed some conversation about A. Kostitsyn playing with Sid Crosby over on the other thread. If it happened, I could see Kostitsyn scoring 30-35 goals.

Does that mean I’m a fan of Kostitsyn, absolutely not! You put Travis Moen with Crosby for 82 games and he’d score 25 goals.

Kostitsyn is the type of guy you pencil into a lineup to quietly tap in 20 goals and fade off into the night. His so called hits are nothing more than coasting into somebody after they’ve already dished the puck off. You can count all the bone crushing checks throughout his career on one hand.

I would keep a handful of 3rd and 4th line players ahead of Kostitsyn because they at least have a pulse. Kostitsyn leaving Montreal is a simple case of addition by subtraction.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s an unfounded fabrication by a fraudulent twitter account that has been debunked by now. There is no basis for this discussion. By going along anyway, we’re perpetuating the fraud.

??? Who is bashing the Leafs here? The video is about fans uniting and getting pissed off at players and owners for possible NHL Work stoppage?

55. HabFab says:

Show me who is ranking the Leafs Top 3 in in Prospects please!

56. frontenac1 says:

Probably because of the never ending Hype and Cheerleading by the English media all centred in Toronto. Its not just Habs fans that are fed up with this.

57. Cal says:

A little early to be drinking that heavily, isn’t it? ;)

58. Bripro says:

The team is lacking on D as it is, and you want to ship out one of the top-5 Ds in the league?
    What meds are you on? Or forgot to take?

59. punkster says:

Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban, Alexei Emelin, Yannick Weber, Ryan White, Louis Leblanc, Alex Galchenyuk and on and on…all questionable choices.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

60. commandant says:

Must be a different hockeysfuture than the one I know, which ranks the Leafs 18th

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Okay so every team makes some bad draft picks, what was your counter argument to the players Punkster presented, or do fact based questions get in the way of a good discussion.

62. punkster says:

Ah, the missing out on Giroux card…not like any other teams out there “missed out” on Giroux, right?…only us, right?…

Chipchura (injuries), Higgins (personal issues) and Komi (unfulfilled expectations), SK (maturity issues), AK (health)…yes these are all on Timmins…the guy just can’t read tea leaves.

By the way, just how many aliases does it take for you to pump the same tired troll over and over?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

63. Un Canadien errant says:

Actually, the Canadiens traded down to get David Fischer, a player they’d coveted for years. At the time, he wasn’t seen as a bad pick, and Claude Giroux was seen as a bit of a reach. I would have included Mike Boone’s excellent article on this, but unfortunately it is no longer archived.

64. punkster says:

Thanks UCE…I forgot Fischer…but I realized we’re talking to a Leaf or Bruin fan…violated my own rule of ignoring trolls…bah.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

65. Garbo says:

Like those players or not, they are all NHL players, which is more than most teams draft records could say.

Komisarek was a monster for the Habs… but I guess you were the only one that could foresee his decline post-Lucic.

S. Kostitsyn is one of the best players on his team.

I would take A. Kostitsyn back in a second.

Higgins has been really good in Vancouver.

And sorry, but how many other teams skipped on Giroux? Guess the other 21 teams that skipped him should have hired you as their scout.

66. Mattyleg says:

I can only imagine that this is a mis-placed post.
    Don’t think I was rude or insulted anyone.

—Hope Springs Eternal—