Down to seventh

The Rangers smoked the Leafs and moved past the idle Canadiens into sixth place.

On the other hand, being idle means no injuries.

Pat Hickey reports from sick bay

• Marc Antoine Godin on the imminent return of Saku Koivu

• Stephen Brunt on Crosby and head shots; Don Cherry weighs inStu Hackel’s take

Canadiens 10th in SI Power Rankings

• The Hockey News on huge goaltenders

1. Mr.Hazard says:

Tres true.

2. Mr.Hazard says:

LINK ME UP!

3. Mr.Hazard says:

That is so sad, and disappointing.

4. mjames says:

I read Hickey’s column today on the Habs injuries. In it he infers that AK46 and Pouliot might be moved up to play in place of Camilleri and Max Pac. He stated that while they have played as top six forward they have been plagued by inconsistent play. Hickey’s comment annoyed me. He like others, including Habs management are attracted to “labelling”. It is my view that if you are going to label people be fair and consistent and don’t employ a double standard. As an example why is it that Gionta , Gomez, and cammileri all get a pass on their play. Why is it that only these two get labelled for their inconsistent play.

I know we can all point to deficiencies in AK46’s and Pouliot’s play but these guys have been far more consistent that the “smurfs”. I never see the press , except maybe the French press, comment on the inconsistent play of the “smurfs”. We are paying AK and Pouliot a combined $5mm while the other three take home $19mm.

mjames

5. Gormdog says:

Well played, twocents, well played….

6. twocents says:

Sure but I’m assuming my own unrealistic assumption and saying that Yemelin can seamlessly reproduce what he’s doing there, here.

7. Gormdog says:

But can Emelin handle those minutes and the NA game? Risky to take #2, known commodity for the unknown, especially when rewatching takes of Spacek shutting down Ovie down…

I would go for #3, unrealistic and all. A physical Ryan White.

8. twocents says:

OOOoooo… good one. Well structured.

Can I chose all of the above? Of course this impression is totally based on impressions, having never seen Yemelin, or for that matter Ramo, play. Not to mention that your “circa training camp” makes things unrealistic in the last choice.

If hard pressed, based on rep alone, I’d have to say Yemelin for Spacek. The other two scenarios involve role players and the impact would be far less than having a physical D, who could drop the gloves, and be useful offensively playing the 20 minutes Spacek currently is.

9. Gormdog says:

Wasn’t so much about “improvement”, more of a style question (although the way Ramo is playing it’s hard to argue that he wouldnt, at the least, give Auld a run for his money).

10. Gormdog says:

Hey now, theres only room for one magician in this cyber town…

11. joeybarrie says:

I wouldn’t, none of those replacements is an improvement. Who is Alexei Emelin?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. mike g says:

Alex Picard *pow-pow* Andrei Markov

Yannik Vebberre *bada-bing* Josh Georges

Andreas Enqvist *yaba daba doo* Mike Cammalleri

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

13. slapshot777 says:

Ryan White called up to the Habs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

14. joeybarrie says:

Don’t get me wrong, I understand how it works, and it is tight in the East. However, if you look at WINS, which is how the Stanley Cup is decided we sit tied for 5th and 1 win away from 3rd. Not too bad for this team considering the individual players we have and the injuries to Markov and now Gorges (the injuries from Tue don’t YET count)

Coming into this season we had a few underperformers, and a few young players to still develop. We had aging Vets on their last legs, and some good consistent key players. We were always going to struggle to be in the top on the league, but were capable with a full team.

Going forward, hoping our players stay healthy, cause we have had some bad luck in the last 3 years…

Koivu missed 17 games

Tanguay missed 32 games

Lang missed 32 games

Cammi missed 17 games

Gionta missed 21 games

Markov missed 41 games, and then 40 games so far. 116 total

AK missed 23 games

Gorges missed 10 games so far this season. 45 total

Now these are all KEY players playing top line minutes. I don’t think any other team has had 305 man games lost out of 3 seasons for it’s top players, and that number will go up without Cammi again. I know Crosby hasnt missed 112 games in 3 seasons, so when we talk about injuries, we aren’t talking about missing Moen, or Lapierre (not that its good to have any player out).

In the end, what i am trying to say is this. People go and bash BG, PG, JM, and anyone else who is in a position of authority in the Habs management. But in the last 3-4 years this team has moved up considerably in potential and has continued to do so with some bad luck. We can absolutely put together a top 5 team next season, we just need to work on keeping our key guys healthy for the most part. I think we will see good opportunities to win the Cup in the next 5 years, if we shake this bad luck we seem to have.

In the beginning of the season there were people who said we wouldn’t make the playoffs… Now we are sitting safely (FOR NOW) in a playoff spot and are 3 points out of 3rd place. Without our best player, and lately without our most consistent defensive asset. WORST PART is people are saying that we are currently looking at the REAL Montreal Canadiens suffering in mediocracy. YEAH mediocre without our best players. Now it doesnt change anything because we wont get them back, and cannot really replace them. However, you have to admit PG has put together a good competitive team with a good coach and we have some real possibilities coming in the near future. With a Salary Cap and without tanking for 5 years, you have to say that it’s a job well done, and I for one am happy with my team.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. Everlasting1 says:

St.Louis 6th my a$$..when it comes to lengthy injuries to top players they gotta be #1.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. mike g says:

No doubt he knows his stuff…

But he’s annoying. Bottom line is, people simply can’t stand him.

If Bob Mckenzie was annoying, I wouldn’t appreciate and like him as much. For as knowledeable as he is, I wouldn’t be able to listen to him as much as I do.

And that’s Pierre’s problem. He often shoots himself in the foot simply by attempting to satisfy every fanbase.

And if he was so hockey smart, why isn’t he working for an NHL team?

He’s a guy who preaches about the will to win and just how special and incredible it is to win the Cup. He describes all the tools each player has and what it takes to win, and how each and every player will help a given team.

So, WHY THE HECK HASN’T AN NHL TEAM HIRED HIM to use his incredible hockey knowledge to better their team, win a Cup, win trades, etc…?

Why is everyone passing up on this guy? Theres a rookie GM sitting in MIN who got the job over Pierre. How? Why wouldn’t you want this “guru” on your side?

My theory is that he’s not liked in the hockey community. He’s overly positive about certain players, teams and situations, but he’s also overly critical and negative about others. Also, he looks like and often sounds like a giant goofball.

People get annoyed of that….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. JF says:

I certainly don’t hate Toronto the way some do.  I hate the Bruins, and last year’s playoffs made me hate the Penguins.  But the team I really want us to be able to beat is the Flyers.  I don’t hate them; hating them would IMO just be envy because they’re such a well-balanced team, but being able to beat them consistently would put us up there among the elite teams.  Even when healthy, we’re a step away from that.

18. Gormdog says:

If you could make one Hab DISSAPEAR, and have another player magically appear in his place for this season and this season only, which option would you take?

Alex Auld  *poof* Kari Rammo

Jaro Spacek  *ta-dah* Alexei Emelin

Tom Pyatt  *alakazam*  Ryan White circa training camp

19. Storm Man says:

So let’s see it is Thursday and what can we talk about today?

The Leafs lose 7-0 who cares….. Next.

Maguire is a annoying douche….. Boooo Hooooo don’t watch him I don’t.

Gustausson has less upside and someone’s sole of his shoe has more. Sell the shoe on ebay.

Lidstrom is a -3…. OMG just think if he was playing for the Habs some on here would want to trade him.

Tony Roma’s has a new rib called the Pacioretty with Wiz hot shot sauce.

I guess the bottom line no Habs on tonight. Yawn.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

20. joshua94k says:

The reason why The Toronto Maple Leafs are a very bad team and show no hope for the future is that their environment allows them. Their fans do not show passion to their team as Montreal fans so. The Toronto media do not take the team to task as hard as Montreal’s media does.

Toronto’s media overly hypes and praises the Leafs to the extent of almost brainwashing the gullible public. Whether it is TSN or CBC, they start every season saying the Leafs have a team to watchout for. When they start to lose, they say the Leafs played hard but were unlucky, they are a young team etc. This has been going on for several years.

Montrealer’s will never allow for a poor hockey team. If the team doesn’t preform or show no signs for hope, fans will stop showing up for games and supporting the team. During the late 1990s and earlier parts of the millenium, the Bell Centre wasn’t selling out every game. The fans and media in Montreal showed their displeasure. If the team isn’t winning the coach or GM gets replaced. Players get replaced. In 2009, Bob Gainey totally transformed the team and they went to the conference finals. In Montreal a Ron Wilson or Brian Burke cannot last for how long they have.

21. j2w4habs25 says:

If the Habs were having there kinda season – wouldnt you think there would be more than just booing the Habs at the Bell Centre, i mean come on its only Calgary – if that team was playing for Montreal like that, Montreal would boo and throw about anything at them and swear and throw them to the wolves lol…. what kinda fans are we now?? I guess they are just fans that want their team to win lol… and tired of loosing.

Carey Price #31

22. Hobie Hansen says:

Many people, especially on this site don’t like Pierre. People in Quebec and pretty much all of Canada claim to know their hockey inside out. So when you get a guy like Pierre acting a little over cocky, it bothers people.

I don’t mind him because he knows the game, better than 98% of people on TV the last 25 years. He can get a bit annoying or over the top. However, I like learning new things about the game or the players playing it, so I give him a pass. It’s what happens on the ice that counts.

23. shiram says:

Maybe the cold will numb the pain?

24. Mattyleg says:

To be completely honest with you, I don’t get NEARLY as excited about Leafs-Habs games as I used to. We play each other to much now for any game to really make any kind of impact. That, and they suck so terribly that there are rarely stakes involved in the games.

TO always seems to raise their game a hundredfold to play us, while we don’t care.

I’m much more invested in Boston-Montreal, and have been for years. We never play Toronto in the playoffs because they never get there. If we went head-to-head against them in the post-season, THAT’S where rivalries come from. That’s why we’ve got such a hate on for Philly and Boston’s always so keen to get at us.

Toronto? Meh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

You can’t get over that article either.

26. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

My problem with Mcguire is that he’s always quick to say:”I told you so” or “See, that’s what I said last week” and never admits when he’s wrong. MM never challenges him on his radio show, instead always giving him lob ball questions! And Pierre rarely gives props to the Habs, but that’s only because he didn’t get the GM job when it was given to BG.

27. mike g says:

Yea, that really sucks for him…

Might he attempt an early return to the lineup in order to play in that game? Likely not, it’s simply not worth the risk of re-injuring it.

But, if I bet you if he’s recovering very well and is about a week away from returning, he’ll prbably lace them up and play in it. All depends how the rehab goes. It’s such a special event and I’m sure it’s so fun to be a part of.

Would love to see him play….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. avatar_58 says:

Anyone else pissed Cammy will miss the heritage classic? I wanted to see him light up his former team on a grand stage. Instead we have a good chance of losing horribly without another top 6. Awesome

29. MathMan says:

Montreal remains 6th in standing points per game, which compensates for games in hand. It has an 82-game pro-rated pace of 98 points — 10 points more than last year’s team, and 9 more than 9th-place Carolina’s. They have more wins than Washington (but not enough loser points) and are within striking distance of both 5th place and the division crown.

Something to think about amidst the prevailing narrative that the Habs are struggling to remain in the race and are life-and-death to make the playoffs…

30. Mark C says:

Seeing how some people make a big deal about O’Byrne’s +13 or whatever, this must mean: O’Byrne > Lidstrom. A differance of 16 in rating can’t be wrong, can it?

31. notbigbird says:

Two thoughts: you may not like either.

(1) McGuire says some pretty outlandish things, but since I don’t listen to him on the radio or broadcasting other teams, it doesn’t bother me much. For me, he is the best on-the-fly analyst during a game. He analyzes and breaks down a play almost instantly. For that reason I like him.

(2) All of the Toronto bashing gets tiring. I think there’s a certain amount of city envy going on. You might think about poking fun at them because not too long ago, they were a much better team than the Habs, and we’re not exactly a premier team yet either. That being said, due to the historical rivalry, there’s probably no other team, I’d rather put a beating on. On second thought, there’s Philthy to consider.

32. HabsFanInTampa says:

MAB got hurt last night playing for the Junior Bolts and his return to the NHL has been pushed back.

33. avatar_58 says:

Frequently Asinine Quotes?

34. notbigbird says:

But that doesn’t mean we’re exactly lucky. We’ve lost two very important guys for the season. Quality of the players injured is pretty important. Crosby is a tad more significant that Halpern, for example.

35. Mattyleg says:

You’re right, we should’ve got rid of those guys after the injuries. Then they’d REALLY know they weren’t welcome!

😉

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Rugger says:

Of course he does!  Carey is already excellent, how much up side is there left?  The monster absolutely sucks, there is so much up side it approaches infinity!

37. mike g says:

Alright, time for a monster post…

Let’s start off with a bang:

1- PIERRE MCGUIRE: http://pierremcguire.net/uploads/2/7/4/3/2743614/3965552.jpg

Do I need to really explain more?

2- THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS: http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/DogPoopILOVEU.img_assist_custom.jpg

Ok, this one always needs more explaining. Why do I feel that way about them? How can I possibly love that team? Well it’s simple; because they simply suck so much (which is always a huge plus for us) and see absolutely no need in doing anything about it. And you have to respect and support a business and anyone who stands by their beleafs and standars like that. I haven’t in my live seen a business who supports their philosophy so much for so long, and is still able to make the most money out of all it’s competiton. It’s such a wonderful and safe business model. No matter how the company performs, good, bad or simply being run to the ground, they’ll make more than everyone else. Immagine going to the store and buying a crappy/broken computer for 4 times the price that it was sold at 6 years ago. Outdated technology and a product that you know you simply won’t be nearly satisfied enough to justify even a quarter of the price you paid to buy it.

So I ask you this: can you really blame them for being that bad?

I simply can’t. As an owner and company, your job is to ensure that you’re supplying your market and the public with the best product available in order to maximize the company’s value and overall revenue. But, if your product is terrible, and has been for a long time, and your market still buys it more than any other competitons product, I ask you guys why should they as a company change their model?

Sometimes when you’ve got something good, don’t change it. If your market is willing to pay the highest price out there for crap, where is the pressure to improve the product?

There simply isn’t any. And there’s the reason why the Toronto Maple Leafs will be a very bad hockey team for a long time.

Agree? Discuss…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

38. Rudy says:

So nice to read a French reporter do a positive and respectful article on Saku. Saturday night will be amazing. I only hope that I get the CBC feed down here and will get to see the anthems and stuff.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

39. fbkj says:

id explain the origin but it would bore the pants off of you

40. twocents says:

Nice shooting, John.

That’s easier than pronouncing fbkj.

41. twocents says:

Just pulling your leg, Ian.

Sorry Eric ,I forgot the R. Sharp

43. HabFanSince72 says:

We’ve been  lucky with injuries so far. However you can’t just look at man-games lost. Markov and Gorges is a huge blow, and the man-games lost only counts the games played so far.

ANother aspect of bad luck is that we traded O’Byrne one game before losing Marky.

We traded Lappy 3-4 games before losing Halpern and Cammy.

44. fbkj says:

meh, call me johnny

45. HabFanSince72 says:

HA HA.

We should set up a Pierre Maguire FAQ.

Maybe Habs Inside/Out could host it?

46. twocents says:

Did you intend that for my wife… or yours?

It’s the guy with the funny acronym whose really SHARP this morning.

47. mike g says:

Yea, he did say that…

And whats funny, is that the night before when we were in BUF and being televised by TSN, he was praising and bragging how Carey Price has become one of the elite goalies in the league at a very young age after going through so much.

He was saying stuff like how CP showed immense character, patience, how he’s so calm in pressure situations, how he makes tough saves look easy, etc….He was saying that he’s transformed himself into a very solid #1 goalie.

And then, because it’s a Leafs game on TSN and he knows most of the viewers watching are Leaf fans, he says something dumb like that just to please the audience.

He tried to make Hab fans happy by complementing CP, and then a night later tries to do the same thing with the Leafs. He shoots himself in the foot, and anyone who remembers what he says knows he does it so often.

Just a loudmouth douche who will say anything to try score a few points with his audience.

Reminds me of the kid who always sucked-up to the teacher and had no friends…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

I wish I had a clip, it was on the Bill Watters show after the Loafs started out 4-0. I often use this quip to bug my Loaf loving friends… Some of them believed it, for a brief while!!

49. twocents says:

I knew you could do it, thanks. I looked myself but couldn’t find anything.

My sense for the first part of the season was that we were doing really well on that front despite Markov. I suspect we’ll move up a few spots over the next month now. This team is really going to be tested.

50. avatar_58 says:

I would very much like a clip of this

51. mike g says:

I’ve bashed him many times, but some people still love him…

All he does all day long is talk on radio shows and pick on the same players, and blow the horns of others. He mostly says positive things on each radio show that he’s on concerning their home team. Although he’s very cheap with the positive comments when it comes to the Habs.

He marvels the rebuild and growth that the Leafs are going through, and always makes positive comments about them. He rarely speaks in a critical manner about them. Yet, they’ve been one of the worst franchises over the past 6 years. And I don’t even wanna go into details regarding their future, it’s simply not even worth my time.

He’s a crowd pleaser. “I love him, I had lunch with him and his landscaper, he has a great family, University of Nobody Cares, etc…”

Those are the same guidelines he uses every single day and in each interview to describe every single player.

I’m sick of it, and have been for years. He yells and screams stupidity often, and he’s very annoying and creepy looking.

Does he know his stuff?, sure he knows hockey. But IMO, his biggest problem is that he doesn’t know how to deliver his message to an audience without sounding or looking like an annoying douche.

Most of the time, I try to avoid listening to him…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Really? Like he didn’t make himself enough of a fool when he compared the Big Three to the Leafs Defence.

Talk about selling your broadcast integrity for a nickle.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

53. twocents says:

In the “what does it mean” file: Nick Lidstrom is a -3, the worst for wing defensemen.

Your pretty shape this morning, Eric.

55. Mr.Hazard says:

Are you serious? He said that? The sole of my shoe has more upside than Gustavsson.

56. The Cat says:

I found a link on the CBC, therefore no one can make the typical ‘french buffoon’ attack on the reporter.

Here is glance at the most injury-plagued teams this season as well as the six Canadian teams.

1. N.Y. Islanders – 265

10. Detroit – 126

19. Toronto – 97

20. Edmonton – 90

26. Ottawa – 58

27. Montreal – 56

57. Mr.Hazard says:

I am so sad I will be missing the “return-of-Captain-K” game… I won’t even be able to WATCH it…

58. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

If he actually said that then I’ve lost all respect for him. (If there was any before)

What a goof.

59. twocents says:

Nice shooting, Tex.

60. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Since we are in Loafs/Macguire bashing mode, I live in the GTA and this is my favorite quote I heard from Pierre on a show with Loaf motif…

“The Monster has more upside than Carey Price”

Drink much???

61. The Cat says:

Well yeah they showed the stats…And please I want to know who said MAB was as good as the Wiz…Good God, Ive said it once and Ill say it again, Ive seen bantam AA Dmen play better D than him.

62. fbkj says:

totally comparable

63. twocents says:

I heard on RDS that the police were waiting to arrest three Habs players when they’re plane arrived… I heard on RDS that Saku Koivu’s contract in the summer of 2010 was signed and in a desk drawer… I heard on RDS that MAB is just as good as the Wiz and will certainly be playing in the NHL in no time…

Sorry Cat, you gotta do better than that. Find some stats somewhere.

64. matraque says:

The Flames were booed last night!  What kind of fans are they?  No one should boo a team, they should be cheered.

…………….

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

65. The Cat says:

I saw on RDS that the habs were one of the teams that had the least injury troubles so far!