Down to four

4775640

A classic series ended in San Jose Thursday night.

The Sharks were full-value for their win, and there was sweet redemption for Patrick Marleau.

Too bad, however, we’ve seen the last of Pavel Datsyuk for the season.

Sharks win  by the skins of their fins

Heartbreaking ending for Wings

Schedule for Conference finals

Bolts vs. Bruins preview

Stéphan Lebeau likes Jagr in blue-blanc-rouge

Thrashers on the move?

Bulldogs on soft ice in Houston

Goaltender MacIntyre shines for ‘Dogs

Photo by Chad Ziemendorf/Reuters

1. Mattyleg says:

Anyone have any idea where Plecky’s #82 comes from?
    Or theories? I’m always open to theories.
    The more crackpot the better, as a matter of fact.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Mattyleg says:

I’m going to chime in and say that Konopka would be a good pickup.

We haven’t had someone with a ‘Z’ first name since Zarley Zalapsky.

p.s. I think it’s great that the same people who say that we are too small and need to be bigger and tougher don’t want a player who gets penalties…

(sings at the top of his voice)
    “Things that make you go ‘hmmm’!!”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• RiverviewCanadien says:

What people tend to forget is that the Canadiens were one of the most penalized teams in the league already…

I say BS to those who think our Habs are too small…when the hell is Naslund coming out of retirement?

• Mattyleg says:

I think that our stupid stick penalties need to be worked out of the team. Hated them. The penalties that Konopka would get are different kinds of penalties.

And yeah, I’ve never bought the ‘too small’ concept.

‘Le p’tit Viking!!’ My fave!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HardHabits says:

Of course not. The Habs are big. And the sky is red. Up is down. Bad is good.

• Mattyleg says:

No, not ‘big’ but not ‘too’ small.

You know the end of the skipping rhyme: “not too big, not too small, just the size of Montreal.” I personally think there’s a lot of credence in that.

…and yes, sometimes bad IS good! Eh? Eh? (Suggestive wink. Poke in ribs. Eyebrow wiggle.) Eh?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• PeterStone says:

I agree .. he at least will try to make players on the opposing team accountable. He is a solid faceoff guy … no disrespect to Halpern, but I think Z could replace him. Another guy I like is SO’Brien … tough DMan, Hard Hitter , could be an alternative to Wiz if he isnt back.

• issie74 says:

No more Konopka or Jagr talk.Please.

• issie74 says:

So if P.G signs Konopka,does Pleks stop with his stick penalties?

3. PeterStone says:

Halifax .. i dont know what the Habs are gonna do. I am stating what I would like to see them do. I have no illusions about them getting a top Center … its been 10 years why would they do it now. I also dont understand whats so unrealistic about seeing them sign one of their FAs … Wiz.

I dont know how to tell you this .. thats what good teams do. Canucks last year signed their top FAs … they traded guys that didnt fit and they acquired Hamuis and Ballard as well as guys like Malholtra and Torres.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I know what you are saying, but here’s what happened. I’m having a conversation with someone else about spending our limited money on Wiz or adding some punch up front.

You jump in the conversation, so I engage you about the exact same thing, and then you tell me I’m wrong, and post this huge list about all these moves.

At no point did I disagree with any of your moves, I wish they could all happen, but that’s not what we were discussing. I’d like to be able to have a dicussion about one or two specific moves, without having to have the same discussion over and over again about all our dream moves.

And then of course, you have to take your condescending tone “I don’t know how to tell you this…” well here’s one for you big guy

I don’t know how to tell you this, but your long list of dream moves is nothing more then a pipe dream. So if you want to have intelligent discussions about moves that may happen, we can do that, but if you want to go into your long rant about all the people we need to move out, and bringing in that top centre, to build your fantasy team, there’s probably other people on this board you can have that discusion with.

• PeterStone says:

wow , i didnt realize you were so sensitive, it must be the east coast air. Suddenly you are easily offended , you didnt seem to mind jumping on my thread earlier ? I dont think I said you were wrong, in fact I think I mostly agreed with you. I think we need to get better up front, is what you suggested, and I am tossing ideas of how we can do so.

If you are going to call it a fantasy , when other teams in the league are doing it … then I am clearly going to debate that train of thought .. Canucks last season , Philadelphia Flyers 06/07 came in last .. they made more than 2 moves … they made a bunch of trades in season then they made trades in the off-season to acquire the rights to a few players, including Hartnell and Timmonen .. was Holmgren also dreaming ?

Cheers Halifax.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I’m not overly sensistive, and you are the one who jumped in on the thread… here’s how you jumped in…

“are you suggesting we spend 4 to 5M dollars on any of Leino, Laich or Jagr or 4 to 5M for the 3 ?”

so again, I don’t think your moves are bad, but I’m talking to someone else about one move, and your telling me I’m wrong and posting all your dream moves. But you are one of the guys on this board no one can disagree with, without you going off on one of your rants.

So yeah, when the Habs trade away AK46, and Spacek, and re-sign the Wiz, and add Jagr, and maybe pull off the trade for the coveted “top centre”, you can come back here and say I told you so, and we can be just like Vancouver and Philly.

But when next season starts, and none of that has happened, except maybe(and that’s a big maybe) adding Jagr, I can… oh wait a minute, why would I bother.

• PeterStone says:

i can see why you were so offended …

OK, so its NOT a fantasy , you just dont think the Habs will do it. See, we agree again.

Cheers Halifax

4. j2c says:

Canadien just announced they have signed Diaz a Swiss defender. http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=562687

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Guy has some skill…did pretty good at the worlds.

We seem to have the market cornered on talented swiss defencemen. With this signing, all the more reason Habs need to move away from Hamrlik, and probably wiz and get a real pure rugged defenceman. I realize this is a 2 way contract, but with Weber, Markov, Subban we have lots of talented d, now we need some rugged.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Good pick-up, at the very least he’ll be good for Hamilton’s D group (I suspect Carle is on the way out).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• HalifaxHabs says:

when you say Carle is on his way out, do you mean because he’ll be up with the big club next year(8th d-man)? or because he is done in the organization?

• Bugs says:

I dunno, think he might be for the big club.
        These Worlds weren’t Diaz’s first rodeo; he’s been there before and performed just as well. I know that because he’s one of the few Swiss national players I can actually name; that’s the basis for my reasoning and I believe it is iron-clad.
        Big club for Diaz.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• habs365 says:

Rafael Diaz: Maybe a good signing only time will tell. He’s 25, 5’11 – 195lb played 352 games in the swiss league scoring 118 points. if he proves he can play in the NHL Bonus for the Habs…

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

Some people have been mentioning Konopka. I like it. He is very good in the face off circle and is a tough bastich!

He also said this when NYI faced the Habs.

“Every player wants to play in Montreal at some point in their career,” said Konopka.

Make it happen #1 (PG that is)

• habs365 says:

RiverviewCanadien: Konopka would love for the Habs to pick him up. He can’t score 195 games, 8 goals spends most of his time in the penality Box, TB and Columbus got rid of him, 4th liner at best could play center for moen toughness great other than that no doing..I thought we were looking for offense…..

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree, offense is the issue and the one that MUST be addressed, but I was just stating my opinion on him, since others have also said the same. He would not break the bank, that is for sure…

Why is it posters here always want to argue with one another?

6. JayBee says:

Artyukin takes way too many penalties. No thanks.

7. G-Man says:

The NHL had only 9 players at or above the 80 point mark, so every goal counts more than ever.
    The Habs must make a play for a top 6 winger and Laich is the Laichly choice. Habs must overpay to pry him away from Washington and onto a team that has an excellent season ahead.
    Re-signing AK and Pouliot along with Halpern will give Habs depth. The only caveat is whether or not Price retains his form. I say forget Auld and bring up Sanford or McIntyre for 500K and use that 500K elsewhere.

• PeterStone says:

so who are the top 6 wingers ? laich , AK, Gionta, Cammi, and Pacioretty. Or are you paying AK 3.5M to be a 3rd line winger ?

• G-Man says:

Yes. The reason is as simple as all the injuries the Habs have had at key positions the last 2 seasons.

• PeterStone says:

overpaying everyone on the wings doesnt help your lack of Depth at C. This team cant score 5 on 5 , Laich isnt going to change that.

• G-Man says:

The last 4 seasons he has hovered between 16 and 25 goals while playing 3rd and some 2nd line minutes. He is 28 and in his prime. He has both size and grit. Believe it or not, 20 goal scorers are more important than ever.
            There is no lack of depth at center. Pleks, Gomez, Eller, Desharnais and Halpern may not be the best individual centers in the league, but are a good collection of players that can be counted on to do the work. I am a rarity on HIO; I believe Gomez will rebound.

Watching what McIntyre and Sanford have done in Hamilton, I am with you. Reality is, if Price got hurt we would be shopping for a goalie anyways even if we had Auld.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• habs365 says:

Laich is a center probably could play elsewhere he’s better than any of our bottom 6 as far as goals and points he’s along the line of AK46 he would improve the team but I would be very careful who I would depart with to get him…..

8. longtimehabsfan says:

All this speculation about Jagr is making me nervous. He’s not just 39, he’s an old 39 having begun his NHL career at 19.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

9. secretdragonfly says:

Anyone else having issues posting?

10. NoTinFoilCups says:

Guys are saying we can’t sign this player or that player because we have to have space to give raises to Price and Subban in 12-13. Well we can and should sign Wiz. A reasonable longterm contract without a no trade clause can be a good bargaining tool later on. It would be nice to have that option if Markov comes up lame again.

• HabsoluteFan says:

Spacek & Moen are coming off the books in 12-13 for a total of roughly 5.5 M. That amount, plus a few tweaks (examples, if Habs sign Gill and Pouliot to one year deal this season(roughly another 3.5 M) should be enough for Price and Subban. I don’t see why we shouldnt do anything this summer because of 2 RFA’s in 12-13

• HalifaxHabs says:

I like Wiz too, but when you consider we will likely already have 7 defeseman under contract (Subby, Gill, Markov, Gorges, Yemelin, Weber, Spacek) and we live in a salary cap world, would you rather spend 4 to 5 million on Wiz, or 4 to 5 million on offensive upgrades (possibilities like Laich, Leino, Jagr)?

It can’t be both, and I would rather add the punch, grit, and size, up front.

• avatar_58 says:

Gill is not under contract and Weber can sit if need be. I love me some Hal, but if he needs to step aside for a younger body then so be it.

(Goddamnit Spacek…..)

• HalifaxHabs says:

I know Gill is not under contract, but all signs point to him being re-signed, and it will be on the cheap compared to what Wiz would cost.

Weber can sit, you are correct, but if they do re-sign Gill, Markov, & Gorges, which it looks like they will, we will still be left with the choice of spending that money on an 8th defenceman, or adding something up front.

So we are back to my original point, it’s not about playing time, or the cap next year, it’s about the cap this year. If we have 5 million to spend, I’d rather try to add some pieces up front then pay it Wiz.

Now if they could find some sucker team to take Spacek’s last year(he has a limited NTC, so he can pick 18 teams not to be traded to), without taking back any salary…. then we would could use his money on the Wiz.

• PeterStone says:

• HalifaxHabs says:

no, what I’m saying is if we have 5 million to spend, would you rather spend it to sign an 8th defencemen to our roster, or add some new punch, grit, and scoring up front?

It’s looking like we cannot afford to add Wiz, and sign any impact players up front. What would you rather spend money on? One or the other.

• PeterStone says:

we can afford to add Wiz, we need to lose Spacek. Wiz will get Spacek Money , just longer term … so, add toughness on Dee, which is sorely needed. Emelin if he is signed looks to me like a Kronwall type DMan … and the Habs havent had a big hitter on Dee since Chelios and to a lesser extent Komisarek

Up front, Leino has great skill .. as did Jagr, but they dont exactly bring grit to the game. I think Jagr is an interesting option, because it allows you to trade AKostitsyn, and its short term. You then have Jagr and Gionta on RW, Jagr and Cammi LW and hopefully you can package AK with something to get a decent Center. My main concern about Jagr is this .. how badly does he want to WIN. Laich would be a great addition to a 3rd line, but he will cost too much $ .. he’ll probably get 3M+

Leino .. awesome skill, not sure why the Habs didnt pick him up from the Wings when they traded him for nada … but, now, where would he play , on our 3rd line ?

I think the focus needs to still be on acquiring a top C .. however, wherever … after that, I dont think we are that far away from being a top 10 team, and a legit Stanley Cup contender.

• HalifaxHabs says:

sorry, I thought we were having a realistic discussion about what the Habs will do this off-season.

you have them acquiring a top centre, trading A Kostitsyn, trading Spacek, signing Wiz, and signing Jagr.

I have fantasies about what the Habs may do as well, and I would love to find the “top centre” you think is out there for them, but I’m trying to be realistic.

• habs365 says:

Wiz is gonna want too much money and I would be concerned with his knee problems one bad hit to the knee’s and we could be looking at a replacement. comes down to Reliability it’s for PG to decide, take a chance or let him go…..

• HabsoluteFan says:

I’d spend a few bucks on Laich(6’2, 200) and I don’t think Leino (6’1, 185) would cost too much. Both are fairly young and would be welcomed additions to our top 6. As for Jagr, I’d stay away because of his age (That doesn’t mean I wouldnt be intrigued with a 1 year deal to add some offence if we can’t land anything else…)

• habs365 says:

HabsoluteFan: good improvement for the offense, looks like the best two choices out there sign those two keep the best bottom 4 or 5 tinker with the defense should be good to go….

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Spacek will be gone after next year and Gill is getting along in years himself. He will only get slower than he is now. If Markov comes up lame again and Yemelin does not work out then what are we left with?

On the other hand if come the trade deadline and we are still flush on D then we have a good hand to deal from. We’ll have a better idea of our shortcomings at that point in the season.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

The UFA pool for the type fo guy we need up front is pretty bare at this point. I just think if we signed Wiz now and are still in good shape on the back end then by midseason PG could deal some of those assets for a center or forward. There would be more choices than there are by just trolling the weak FA market. And as we know PG would not necessarily wait for the trade deadline.

• twocents says:

If your premise is: if we have cap space to spend this year, we should spend it and worry about next year, next year, I agree.

There are always ways to move players and make cap room. If we have to do a salary dump to sign the kids we have to do a salary ump. Holding cap space is unnecessary.

Having said that the key is not overspending on a contract and making it hard to move, like Gomez. That’s what might make the Wizzer tricky. He’s likely to have inflated demands and if that’s the case, we should walk.

• habs03 says:

I think everyone can see that Markov, Gorges, Subban, Gill,Weber, and most likely Spacek are all coming back, and even though Carey and Subban are going to get bigger raises in 2012, the Habs do have room to sign Wiz and still be able to take care of Carey and PK the year after. The problem is is it better to spend 4-5 M of Wiz, or maybe sign a guy like Jan Hejda (good shut-down D-man with the Jackets). As much as I love Wiz, he is purely an offesive D-man, and with Markov and Subban, we might have to many of the same type of D-man on the backend.

11. arcosenate says:

Artyukhin for the Habs. How about that? maybe Jacques could reel him in a bit. He can skate and he hurts when he hits. That’s an element the Habs could use when push comes to shove.

Jagr, Emelin, Artyukhin.

That’s a nice bit of new blood.

No idea what his KHL contract status is, but he sure would be a physical upgrade for our 4th line. Not sure he would want to come back to NHL to play 4th line, but his scoring prowess is that of 3/4th liner. 6’4″ 254lbs, that would be nice in the lineup.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• HabsoluteFan says:

I’d like our 4th line to be White-Konopka-Moen for next year. Konopka would be cheaper than Artyukin in my opinion and is more willing to drop the mits.

• bel33 says:

Konopka’s quite good in the face-off circle… with White as well if he gets kicked out of the face-off. But Artyukin’s a beast.
        Fun to speculate… get to it PG.

• PeterStone says:

I liked Artyukhin, but if I recall he had many personal issues.

guessing this is the prelude to a shopping website….

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!